PDA

View Full Version : Joe Baker - Scottish Football Hall of Fame

Hanny
07-07-2016, 08:03 PM
This was first mentioned in the transfer thread by ancient hibee but I think it deserves a thread of its own.

Nominations are open for the Scottish Football Hall of Fame inductions this year and, astonishingly, our own Joe Baker is not currently in the Hall of Fame.

102 goals in 117 appearances during his first spell at Hibs between 1957-1961 surely merits inclusion. As well as being the first English player to be given his England debut while playing outside England (first and only until Owen Hargreaves).

So get voting folks: http://scottishfootballhalloffame.co.uk/nominations/

Lets get Joe Baker in the Hall of Fame :flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

superfurryhibby
07-07-2016, 08:12 PM
This was first mentioned in the transfer thread by ancient hibee but I think it deserves a thread of its own.

Nominations are open for the Scottish Football Hall of Fame inductions this year and, astonishingly, our own Joe Baker is not currently in the Hall of Fame.

102 goals in 117 appearances during his first spell at Hibs between 1957-1961 surely merits inclusion. As well as being the first English player to be given his England debut while playing outside England (first and only until Owen Hargreaves).

Voted.

stantonhibby
07-07-2016, 08:16 PM

Shocking that he is not already in it.

hibsmum
07-07-2016, 08:21 PM
My other halfs hero mentioned on his stone

Leithenhibby
07-07-2016, 08:26 PM

Done. GGTTH

H18S NX
07-07-2016, 08:59 PM
Done,my hero. :not worth

brog
07-07-2016, 09:08 PM

Great idea Ancient & Hanny, done!

worcesterhibby
07-07-2016, 09:24 PM
Just voted...

I don't want to upset people, but right now Joe Baker is not in the hall of fame..but both Terry Butcher and Maurice Malpas are !!!:grr::grr:

cmcd
07-07-2016, 09:26 PM
Voted.

Voted

Jonnyboy
07-07-2016, 09:57 PM
Vote cast

Michael
07-07-2016, 10:14 PM
Just voted...

I don't want to upset people, but right now Joe Baker is not in the hall of fame..but both Terry Butcher and Maurice Malpas are !!!:grr::grr:

Are we sure this isn't the Hall of Shame?

Wee Effen Bee
07-07-2016, 11:37 PM
Are we sure this isn't the Hall of Shame?
Or The Hall of Clueless C***s? :greengrin

Baader
07-07-2016, 11:58 PM
When I moved to London 12 years ago I lived for the first 5 of them in Highbury - opposite the stadium. Arsenal, naturally, became my second team (but way behind my first!)

Joe is held in very high esteem by Gooners and rightfully so - he hit 100 goals in 156 games for them in a very average side and is one of the club's most prolific goalscorers.

A legend at more than one club - his goals tally is phenomenal. It can't really be a 'Hall of Fame' if The Baker Boy isn't in it.

Just Jimmy
08-07-2016, 12:39 AM
Voted

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

cabbageandribs1875
08-07-2016, 12:48 AM
is their some bizarre reason a prolific striker like joe baker is not already in the scottish football hall of fame ? it just seems rather odd he's not

lyonhibs
08-07-2016, 04:18 AM
is their some bizarre reason a prolific striker like joe baker is not already in the scottish football hall of fame ? it just seems rather odd he's not

Probably nothing more complex than he played for the "wrong" green and white to recognition in these kind of pony show things.

SouthMoroccoStu
08-07-2016, 06:14 AM
Probably nothing more complex than he played for the "wrong" green and white to recognition in these kind of pony show things.

Wel said

It wouldn't surprise me if The selection process for the SFA Hall of Fame went

1 from Rangers (as they are still the same cup and can claim all the titles and trophies they cheated to win :rolleyes:)
1 from Celtic - keep the other half of the ugly sisters happy
1 Scot from the English leagues
1 to represent all the other clubs in Scotland (to keep the pawns happy)

Let's get Joe in

Unfortunately he falls into the final category- honoured far too late

southsider
08-07-2016, 06:33 AM
Voted for my dad's hero.

Big L
08-07-2016, 07:32 AM
Voted. Joe would be in my best Hibs team ever! A great player and a great guy.

Derek Dougan
08-07-2016, 07:53 AM
Voted. Great idea, and hopefully we'll see Joe in the Hall of Fame soon.

southsider
08-07-2016, 08:16 AM
Get those votes in folks. Don't want to split the vote but NEXT year we all vote for David Gray.

--------
08-07-2016, 09:39 AM

Yup. While legends like Bobby Brown (who?), Maurice Malpas, and World Cup-winning Scotland manager Ally McLeod are.

What's that? Ally DIDN'T win us the World Cup in '78? Shurely shome mishtake there?

Nomination is in. Joe Baker for Scotland!

ancient hibee
08-07-2016, 09:55 AM

Well done.

Joe Baker2
08-07-2016, 10:46 AM
A Hibs legend!

Hanny
08-07-2016, 04:42 PM
Well done.

Cheers :aok: Glad you mentioned it!

emerald green
08-07-2016, 06:37 PM
I just shake my head in disbelief at some of the names mentioned in earlier posts who are already in the Scottish Football Hall of Fame.

Who decides who is inducted, and who isn't? Ally McLeod, Terry Butcher, Malpas! Jeez.:no way:

erin go bragh
08-07-2016, 07:54 PM
A Hibs legend and a gent of a man . Voted
Terry *** Butcher should be removed from the list for his crimes against us .

stantonhibby
08-07-2016, 08:17 PM
I just shake my head in disbelief at some of the names mentioned in earlier posts who are already in the Scottish Football Hall of Fame.

Who decides who is inducted, and who isn't? Ally McLeod, Terry Butcher, Malpas! Jeez.:no way:

Derek Johnstone is in it !

allezsauzee
08-07-2016, 08:19 PM
A Hibs legend and a gent of a man . Voted
Terry *** Butcher should be removed from the list for his crimes against us .

you'll probably find that Butcher's crimes against us would cement his place in there.

WoreTheGreen
08-07-2016, 08:19 PM
Derek Johnstone is in it !

Buffet of fame

Leithenhibby
08-07-2016, 08:22 PM

Unbelievable :rolleyes:

GGTTH

http://scottishfootballhalloffame.co.uk/nominations/

stantonhibby
08-07-2016, 08:22 PM
Buffet of fame

Hall of Perms

Iggy Pope
08-07-2016, 08:44 PM
When I moved to London 12 years ago I lived for the first 5 of them in Highbury - opposite the stadium. Arsenal, naturally, became my second team (but way behind my first!)

Joe is held in very high esteem by Gooners and rightfully so - he hit 100 goals in 156 games for them in a very average side and is one of the club's most prolific goalscorers.

A legend at more than one club - his goals tally is phenomenal. It can't really be a 'Hall of Fame' if The Baker Boy isn't in it.

Not half. I've always taken an interest in the Gunners, but a good few years back I had my best day watching them after getting my photo taken with the life size cut out of Joe in their Highbury museum. Nothing better than meeting a Hibby in a strange land. Even if he doesn't talk back.
Voted.

CentreLine
08-07-2016, 10:46 PM

Hey! Lay off Ally MacLeod. He was a quality winger in his day and played two years for the Hibees. 56 games seasons 1961-63 scoring six goals if you please. He was also a lot of fun as Scotland manager and IMHO we could do with his likes again. It has been a raging bore since 1978 following Scotland. It was a great adventure with Ally's Tartan Army albeit with a rotten punchline.
Now the other two you mention i completely agree with your sentiment 👍

SuperAllyMcleod
09-07-2016, 05:45 AM
Hey! Lay off Ally MacLeod. He was a quality winger in his day and played two years for the Hibees. 56 games seasons 1961-63 scoring six goals if you please. He was also a lot of fun as Scotland manager and IMHO we could do with his likes again. It has been a raging bore since 1978 following Scotland. It was a great adventure with Ally's Tartan Army albeit with a rotten punchline.
Now the other two you mention i completely agree with your sentiment [emoji106]

Ally is a legend...... oh, wait a minute.

Eaststand
09-07-2016, 06:41 AM

Done

GGTTH

Wheat Hound
09-07-2016, 07:09 AM
Done

We done it Dad
09-07-2016, 07:55 AM
Done.

weststandhibby
09-07-2016, 08:04 AM
Voted.

emerald green
09-07-2016, 04:08 PM
Now the other two you mention i completely agree with your sentiment 

I'm not sure the guys in the Tartan Army who travelled to Argentina for the World Cup in 1978 would agree with the bit in bold to be honest. :greengrin

As the late great Jock Stein said - referring to Ally, without actually naming him - "at least I'll no be selling carpets." Or words to that effect. It was a long time ago.

brog
09-07-2016, 04:14 PM
I'm not sure the guys in the Tartan Army who travelled to Argentina for the World Cu in 1978 would agree with the bit in bold to be honest. :greengrin

As the late great Jock Stein said - referring to Ally, without actually naming him - "at least I'll no be selling carpets." Or words to that effect. It was a long time ago.

That was because you couldn't get Jock out the bookies long enough to do any promotional work!!
Ally was not a great manager but he gave me 2 of my best ever football occasions at Wembley & Annfield in 1977. It was also hardly his fault that Don Masson missed a pivotal penalty versus Peru.

emerald green
09-07-2016, 04:20 PM
That was because you couldn't get Jock out the bookies long enough to do any promotional work!!
Ally was not a great manager but he gave me 2 of my best ever football occasions at Wembley & Annfield in 1977. It was also hardly his fault that Don Masson missed a pivotal penalty versus Peru.

:agree: I was at both those games too, but I'm more inclined to give the credit to the likes of Kenny Dalglish TBH. But fair enough, I'll leave off Ally now.

Paisley Hibby
10-07-2016, 07:52 AM

Does the fact he played for England not rule him out?

mim
10-07-2016, 07:56 AM

Terry Butcher??

--------
10-07-2016, 05:54 PM

I thought so too, but when I got to the web-page I found this - the nomination guidelines from the SFA website (link above in post #1):

"2) Non Scottish players who have made a significant contribution to Scottish football and who have since finished playing in Scotland."

Check the list of present honorees - there are a number of non-Scots in there already.

Professor Stewart Hillis was the Scotland team doctor; with all due respect, does that make him more deserving than a player of the standing and reputation of Joe Baker? I would have thought the Hall of Fame would have been more about the players and managers of the game? That said, mind, I can understand that his contribution behind the scenes over what was a considerable length of time fully justifies his inclusion.

But George Graham? for his manual dexterity in the pocketing of bulging plain brown envelopes?

Bobby Brown? for being one of the most hopelessly useless Scotland managers in our history?

Ally MacLeod? for being THE most hopelessly useless Scotland manager in history?

ALL ahead of the Baker Boy? :grr:

Paisley Hibby
10-07-2016, 07:27 PM
I thought so too, but when I got to the web-page I found this - the nomination guidelines from the SFA website (link above in post #1):

"2) Non Scottish players who have made a significant contribution to Scottish football and who have since finished playing in Scotland."

Check the list of present honorees - there are a number of non-Scots in there already.

Professor Stewart Hillis was the Scotland team doctor; with all due respect, does that make him more deserving than a player of the standing and reputation of Joe Baker? I would have thought the Hall of Fame would have been more about the players and managers of the game? That said, mind, I can understand that his contribution behind the scenes over what was a considerable length of time fully justifies his inclusion.

But George Graham? for his manual dexterity in the pocketing of bulging plain brown envelopes?

Bobby Brown? for being one of the most hopelessly useless Scotland managers in our history?

Ally MacLeod? for being THE most hopelessly useless Scotland manager in history?

ALL ahead of the Baker Boy? :grr:
Thanks. I didn't know that. In that case it's scandalous that Joe Baker isn't already there. Met him years ago at a corporate do at Easter Road. He was a brilliant guy and would have loved to play for Scotland rather than England but the rules then didn't allow it.