PDA

View Full Version : Hibbes Bounce & Hibs Casuals Referenced in EEN Nazi Article

Frazerbob
06-07-2016, 10:18 AM
Anyone read this?

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/opinion/gerry-farrell-there-s-no-room-on-our-streets-for-neo-nazis-1-4170459

Seems very odd that Hibs, Hibs casuals and the Bounce have been mentioned as having connections to the Nazi National Action group and the stickers that have appeared around Leith. I don't use the Bounce but had a quick scan and can't see any evidence of it. Not living in Leith any more and not been back since the cup final weekend, are there a lot of these stickers appearing?

The_Horde
06-07-2016, 10:24 AM
Anyone read this?

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/opinion/gerry-farrell-there-s-no-room-on-our-streets-for-neo-nazis-1-4170459

Seems very odd that Hibs, Hibs casuals and the Bounce have been mentioned as having connections to the Nazi National Action group and the stickers that have appeared around Leith. I don't use the Bounce but had a quick scan and can't see any evidence of it. Not living in Leith any more and not been back since the cup final weekend, are there a lot of these stickers appearing?

What on earth have i just read? :hilarious

Is he okay?

Kyle A
06-07-2016, 10:25 AM
Its a very strange article.

He jumps from the holocaust to stickers to blaming tattoo artists and Hibs fans with no link between them or evidence of anything. Bizarre.

Frazerbob
06-07-2016, 10:25 AM
What on earth have i just read? :hilarious

Is he okay?

Bizarre!

Tamhere1875
06-07-2016, 10:34 AM
A really strange article as a regular reader on both Hibs.net and the bounce Iv never seen any postings supporting any thing nazi or seen any of the stickers about leith, Iv seen a few anti nazi ones on lamppost and on walls but not seen any pro nazi ones.

HIBERNIAN-0762
06-07-2016, 10:34 AM
What's he on? :confused:

marinello59
06-07-2016, 10:36 AM
The Admin team over there will find this whole sticker thing totally abhorrent. If a few bams have made posts on there supporting this (and I doubt it) I'd wager they have been put firmly in their place as well.
A strange article.

MKHIBEE
06-07-2016, 10:36 AM
Strange article.

CB_NO3
06-07-2016, 10:40 AM
WTF. Is this a jambo at the wind up? Hope the bounce take legal action on this. Knowing a lot of Bounce admins personally this article could not be more wrong.

JimBHibees
06-07-2016, 10:42 AM
WTF. Is this a jambo at the wind up? Hope the bounce take legal action on this. Knowing a lot of Bounce admins personally this article could not be more wrong.

I would be seeking an immediate retraction and apology.

QMU-1875
06-07-2016, 10:44 AM
How did that get past the editors! Surely the bounce have a claim for legal action here! Disgusting article.

CapitalGreen
06-07-2016, 10:46 AM
A quick google search suggests the author of the article is a Hibs fan.

Geo_1875
06-07-2016, 10:51 AM
A quick google search suggests the author of the article is a Hibs fan.

Gerry has a longstanding relationship with Leith and has always struck me as quite sensible for a creative type.

However, this article appears to have been written by someone heavily under the influence.

Reading the rest of the article it seems that someone at the EEN decided that it was time to replace John Gibson's pish with someone elses.

Hibby70
06-07-2016, 10:52 AM
It's very odd to say the least.

lyonhibs
06-07-2016, 10:55 AM
He jumps from Josef Mengele to lampposts in Leith in the space of 2 sentences.

Fairly obviously harbours some deeper issues that I hope he recovers the appropriate help with, starting with a lawsuit from Hibees Bounce

hfcnic
06-07-2016, 10:56 AM
:confused:

Pretty Boy
06-07-2016, 11:05 AM
Strange article.

I have a look on the Bounce often and have never encountered any neo Nazi stuff on there. I don't for a second believe they would tolerate it any more than we would on here.

easty
06-07-2016, 11:09 AM
That's a very oddly written piece.

I wonder if he's actually been on the Bounce and saw any of the stuff he's claiming is on there, or knows of any Leith tattooists who are doing swastikas for the racists he's on about.

LustForLeith
06-07-2016, 11:13 AM
Didn't Gerry run the Leith Agency who did the Irn Bru Snowman ad a few years back?

Saw him being interviewed the other day about something. Wasn't about this.

Suppose the thing with columnists these days is to make it as sensational as you can (Katie Hopkins springs to mind) but there's a difference between sensationalist and false.

SouthMoroccoStu
06-07-2016, 11:21 AM

Baffling article to say the least!

Someone from the bounce must have nicked his girlfriend or punched him on a night out

Bostonhibby
06-07-2016, 11:24 AM

Baffling article to say the least!

Someone from the bounce must have nicked his girlfriend or punched him on a night out
If they didn't I am sure it can be arranged!

What a walloper.

southfieldhibby
06-07-2016, 11:27 AM
I'm a regular Bounce poster, know loads of folk on there, along with most of the admins.

I've never,ever seen anything even close to neo nazism and if any website is directly opposed to such a thing, it's the Bounce.

Cannae speak for admins over there, but I'd consider taking this to a lawyer.

What a strange, random accusation.

jacomo
06-07-2016, 11:29 AM
I can only assume the author was drunk.

Juice-Terry
06-07-2016, 11:43 AM
Simply outrageous. The Bounce should look into this immediately and possibly take legal action. Shocking.

AltheHibby
06-07-2016, 11:45 AM
That is the most bizarre thing I have read since I was personally blamed for the Darien scheme by a bitter English nationalist. And just as accurate.

How the £%&&& did that get published?

SouthMoroccoStu
06-07-2016, 11:58 AM
How the £%&&& did that get published?

That's what I was wondering

No evidence of any of the claims - crazy stuff. It's closer to a drunken rant than an article

The EEN is getting as bad as the west coast rags

Had a quick look on the HibeeBounce and, quite rightly so, they are not happy

Hiber-nation
06-07-2016, 11:59 AM
That guy's been writing complete and utter pish for a while in the EEN as if he was some sort of Leith guru but this tops it by a mile. Utterly bizarre.

jacomo
06-07-2016, 12:03 PM
That's what I was wondering

No evidence of any of the claims - crazy stuff. It's closer to a drunken rant than an article

The EEN is getting as bad as the west coast rags

Had a quick look on the HibeeBounce and, quite rightly so, they are not happy

I think the Bounce need to respond to this quickly and robustly.

NAE NOOKIE
06-07-2016, 12:17 PM
An astonishing article ... I don't visit 'the bounce' very much, but I cant ever remember seeing any post supporting racist or Neo Nazi sympathies. I would imagine anybody doing so on the bounce or here would get booted fairly swiftly and rightly so. If anything it was always my impression that the Hibs support tended to swing more to the left than right.

This article is trying to connect Hibs supporters with what he sees as active Neo Nazi activity around Leith ..... The bounce admins should be in touch with the EEN forthwith and ask that they come up with evidence to support the claim made in the article about their forum and if they cant demand that they produce an apology in the paper and not one buried in a paragraph on page 25 either.

The general public tend to lap up anti football fan stuff and believe it without question .... in view of that I don't think anything done by the bounce or our support in general to refute this ridiculous slur could be deemed an over reaction.

Hannah_hfc
06-07-2016, 12:20 PM
I'm as confused by this as everyone else. How do you make a link of neo nazi stickers to Hibs casuals let alone the Bounce? I gather they have contacted the EEN already, has anyone else done so to challenge their story?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Since90+2
06-07-2016, 12:25 PM
He has probably watched the documentary Welcome to Leith and failed to notice its not the same place.

Weird article.

cookin_on_gaz
06-07-2016, 12:32 PM
I have read that about four times now and find it astonishing that it got published. It has no cohesion, no point and is nothing short of nonsense. If I was the editor of the Evening news i would be sitting waiting for the phone to ring with a call from lawyers representing the bounce, as well collective action from all the tattoo parlours around Leith.

greenginger
06-07-2016, 12:40 PM
Gerry Farrell was the idiot writing an article, a couple of months back, about how jealous he was cos Mrs budge had made the Yams wonderful and now they were supporter owned through Foundation of Hearts.

The guy is a sad case and should be kept away from key-boards.

.Sean.
06-07-2016, 12:45 PM
I've read it and re-read it and I just don't get the context. :confused:

If you're reading this, you're a complete and utter roaster of the highest order.

Moulin Yarns
06-07-2016, 12:50 PM
Gerry Farrell was the idiot writing an article, a couple of months back, about how jealous he was cos Mrs budge had made the Yams wonderful and now they were supporter owned through Foundation of Hearts.

The guy is a sad case and should be kept away from key-boards.

It would appear that he has previous

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/politics/advertising-guru-gerry-farrell-suspended-over-steve-cardownie-incredinburgh-tweets-1-2612164

As for anyone with racist posts on Hibs.net, I can only think of one that seems to have an unhealthy dislike for a certain group of people.

ALF TUPPER
06-07-2016, 12:52 PM
:confused: Whit ?

Salt N Sauzee
06-07-2016, 01:01 PM
Guy is clearly aff his nut. What baffles me the most about all of this is that someone from the EEN would of proof read that before publishing and said: "Aye, looks good, post it"

Madness.

Frazerbob
06-07-2016, 01:06 PM
The author has been replying to all the comments on the EEN Facebook thread but when I click on them I can't see what he's said, including my own comment. Must be a settings thing so if anyone can copy & paste that would be great.

Greencore
06-07-2016, 01:35 PM
Boycott the evening news?

NAE NOOKIE
06-07-2016, 01:37 PM
The author has been replying to all the comments on the EEN Facebook thread but when I click on them I can't see what he's said, including my own comment. Must be a settings thing so if anyone can copy & paste that would be great.

I am on my laptop and cant see any of his replies either apart from one. In it he tells the poster he can point him to 'the post' on Hibees Bounce that prompted his comment .... yes folks 'the post' .... not even a thread, but 'one post' out of thousands.

The man is clearly an idiot and should stick to making cartoons for Barrs Irn Bru .... because he's never going to make it as a journalist that's for sure.

Frazerbob
06-07-2016, 01:38 PM
I am on my laptop and cant see any of his replies either apart from one. In it he tells the poster he can point him to 'the post' on Hibees Bounce that prompted his comment .... yes folks 'the post' .... not even a thread, but 'one post' out of thousands.

The man is clearly an idiot and should stick to making cartoons for Barrs Irn Bru .... because he's never going to make it as a journalist that's for sure.

Seems the post he is referring to is from 2008 and he admits in various replies that it may be "banter" and a "dig a Hearts" yet still seems to think this justifies his article. What a very strange fellow.

Haymaker
06-07-2016, 01:41 PM
Got everyone talking about it and clicking his article and bringing in the ad money. Job done.

greenginger
06-07-2016, 01:50 PM

I think he lost his job with the Leith Agency. No mention on their website of anyone called Farrell.

Moulin Yarns
06-07-2016, 01:54 PM
I think he lost his job with the Leith Agency. No mention on their website of anyone called Farrell.

He left them in 2014

http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/gerry-farrell-leaves-leith-27-years/1297081

"We’ve been in discussion with Gerry for the last year and he’s been taking a more hands-off approach on our day-to-day business, whilst helping us to build a creative department for the future.

Hmmm!

Kyle A
06-07-2016, 01:55 PM
He replied to me and said he was referencing this thread from 2008 http://www.hibeesbounce.com/showthread.php?68653-Combat-18-POY-Dance

HappyHanlon
06-07-2016, 01:58 PM
Fairly certain his laddie posts on here and is a showbiz reporter for The S**.

marinello59
06-07-2016, 02:02 PM
Fairly certain his laddie posts on here and is a showbiz reporter for The S**.

Be careful here guys. The guy who wrote thee article can get what he deserves. Let's not drag any innocent bystanders in. I know that wasn't your intention by the way.

The Captain....
06-07-2016, 02:09 PM
He replied to me and said he was referencing this thread from 2008 http://www.hibeesbounce.com/showthread.php?68653-Combat-18-POY-Dance

Which is clearly a (none too subtle) dig at Hearts and an April Fool joke. Bit too subtle for our "intrepid investigative journalist" Gerry it seems tho.:rolleyes:

Its pretty poor that the Evening News/Scotsman haven't removed this from their website yet - its been clearly proved the allegations are utter bull**** written by someone with a track record for hysterical, wild and unsubstantiated rants.

Finn2015
06-07-2016, 02:19 PM
This is slanderous really. Wtf

Smartie
06-07-2016, 02:22 PM
I've read some utter garbage that references our fans in certain ways over the past few months but this takes the biscuit. Would a photo of a sticker to help illustrate the story have been to much for an editor to ask for?

The problem is that there are people out there who read this drivel and believe it.

The papers are full of utter s***e these days, which would be fine if it was harmless. But it's not, it is damaging the reputations of people, clubs, websites and groups and it really isn't on.

Pretty Boy
06-07-2016, 02:24 PM
So an Aprils Fools Day thread from 2008 is his 'proof'.

The Green Goblin
06-07-2016, 02:27 PM
It would appear that he has previous

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/politics/advertising-guru-gerry-farrell-suspended-over-steve-cardownie-incredinburgh-tweets-1-2612164

As for anyone with racist posts on Hibs.net, I can only think of one that seems to have an unhealthy dislike for a certain group of people.

I have to bite. Come on..who are you thinking about? I'm dying of curiosity! Pm me? :greengrin

Moulin Yarns
06-07-2016, 02:30 PM
I have to bite. Come on..who are you thinking about? I'm dying of curiosity! Pm me? :greengrin

Have a wee look at the Holy Ground :wink:

Smartie
06-07-2016, 02:32 PM

Maybe me?

I have a strong dislike for 12-fingered, puddle-drinking, halitosis-sufferers who wear clothes coloured like bloodied turd and have a penchant for the younger lady.

Although that's a healthy dislike, not unhealthy.

So probably not me.

marinello59
06-07-2016, 02:33 PM
Have a wee look at the Holy Ground :wink:

Why don't you just report the poster in question?

adhibs
06-07-2016, 02:41 PM
Mental. Stickers, that could've been placed by anyone from anywhere, are being used to have digs at hibs, the bounce, leith as a community and the tattoo artists that work down here. The fact hes using a 8 year old thread ripping hearts to justify his nonsense unreal.

Gatecrasher
06-07-2016, 03:15 PM

:hilarious:hilarious what a fud

My_Wife_Camille
06-07-2016, 03:35 PM
Blatant case of defamation here. And using that link as 'proof'? What a jobby of a man.

Baader
06-07-2016, 03:56 PM
Hopefully The Bounce get their lawyers involved. That looks like a decent case for libel to me...

lord bunberry
06-07-2016, 04:01 PM
Although I don't live in leith anymore, I grew up there and am in the area every day. I have never ever in my life encountered any of the things this clown is going on about. I can't for the life of me understand his motivation for writing that article.

GreenLake
06-07-2016, 04:03 PM
Which is clearly a (none too subtle) dig at Hearts and an April Fool joke. Bit too subtle for our "intrepid investigative journalist" Gerry it seems tho.:rolleyes:

Its pretty poor that the Evening News/Scotsman haven't removed this from their website yet - its been clearly proved the allegations are utter bull**** written by someone with a track record for hysterical, wild and unsubstantiated rants.

The "journalist" has pulled that up from a cursory web search and probably due to some acquaintance's rumor. Absolutely ridiculous assumption from a thread written in comedy on the 1st of April.

This guy is not the sharpest tool in the box, but a tool he is for sure.

lucky
06-07-2016, 05:26 PM
If I was a member or involved in bounce then I'd be seeking a legal remedy

Jdawg
06-07-2016, 05:35 PM
If I was a member or involved in bounce then I'd be seeking a legal remedy

Absolutely, I would not accept anything but a front page retraction and apology as opposed to hidden next to the ads and public noticed section.

Certainly have a claim for damages, which they should pursue.

matty_f
06-07-2016, 05:43 PM
That's an utter disgrace. The Bounce has never been involved in any of that afaik. There needs to be a retraction, that's well out of order.

Wee Effen Bee
06-07-2016, 05:43 PM
Sorry, but the guys I know from the Bounce are from the opposite side of the political spectrum. They just wouldn't tolerate anyone promoting a neo-fascist agenda on their site. The 'author' is obviously no very well and we should be feeling sympathy for him and his family. It is a rambling piece of pash - almost W Joyce-like in its scattergun approach.

Time For Heroes
06-07-2016, 05:44 PM
What a trumpet that guy is

RyeSloan
06-07-2016, 05:53 PM
That 'article' is a disgrace. Not just the slander of the bounce but the negative association it creates with Hibs and the Holocaust.

The there is the the use of such a heinous crime to make a rather empty point (ed - there was a point?).

Total plum and hope the bounce give him and the paper that printed it a good legal kicking so we will indeed 'watch this space' as the daftie requests us all to do.

Viva_Palmeiras
06-07-2016, 05:54 PM
Have the mainstream media got so desperate that they've resorted to tenously linked sensationalist tripe to get readership?

Being controversial is not a talent - just look at that abomination of a woman Katie Hopkins. And it's a dangerous game.

I do not condone any form of bigotry but to trawl through to reach out for words from years ago to fit a story - not exactly today's news? Why if so outraged not do something about it at the time?

LancashireHibby
06-07-2016, 06:23 PM
Astounding that it's made its way in to print. The Bounce shouldn't have any problem at all in mounting a case against both the author and EEN that should comfortably cover their operating costs for a good few years. Best of luck to them, and hopefully all Hibs fans will help towards any legal costs.

hibsdaft
06-07-2016, 06:32 PM
A front page apology is required here. Astonishing it made it to print.

Jonnyboy
06-07-2016, 06:36 PM
Disgusting and I really do hope the Bounce guys take this guy and the newspaper to the cleaners

Pretty Boy
A front page apology is required here. Astonishing it made it to print.

Considering the News were still promoting the article on their Twitter long after it was obvious there was a bit of a reaction to it makes me think they will be lucky to get more than a token apology.

I don't think it's any secret that relations between ourselves and the Bounce have been strained at times in the past but the admins on here and on our Twitter have made it clear what we think of this and the Bounce have acknowledged that. That piece was totally out of order and the evidence presented was farcical.

Bostonhibby
The editor was pissed or on holiday for this one to get through the net, that and Banderson probably planted the sucker with the story.

A proper boycott and a wee bit of vilification wouldn't go amiss here.

What an erse of a man.

Ergye
06-07-2016, 06:43 PM
This is what happens when you mix up crack cocaine with your Alzheimers medication.

It's so ridiculous it isn't even worth bothering about. Some swiveled eyed loon in a care home got access to the internet and fired off an email to the Evening News which somehow got printed in error. 'That's old Charlie Cheswicks words' - SEND.

Shore Thing
06-07-2016, 08:19 PM
The guy who wrote it, Gerry Farrell, now runs his own company (Gerry Farrell Ink).
They are based in Leith and offer services such as 'brand building' and copywriting.
My guess is that the EEN have employed him to create some Katy Hopkins style click-bait stories.

Best advice would be :troll:

Interestingly, he's been doing a lot of self-promotion work with businesses in Leith recently. My company got an email from his, pushing their copywriting services. I'll certainly never give hm any business, and would encourage all Hibbies to do likewise.

Hope the Bounce do take legal action and get this story removed and an apology. (Before it becomes one of EEN's 'most read' or 'most commented on' stories.

Mr White
06-07-2016, 08:23 PM
The guy who wrote it, Gerry Farrell, now runs his own company (Gerry Farrell Ink).
They are based in Leith and offer services such as 'brand building' and copywriting.
My guess is that the EEN have employed him to create some Katy Hopkins style click-bait stories.

Interestingly, he's been doing a lot of self-promotion work with businesses in Leith recently. My company got an email from his, pushing their copywriting services. I'll certainly never give hm any business, and would encourage all Hibbies to do likewise.

Hope the Bounce do take legal action and get this story removed and an apology. (Before it becomes one of EEN's 'most read' or 'most commented on' stories.

Agreed. Also he would surely have been better to have a go at hearts for 2 reasons. They have had issues with a far right element within their support and he wouldn't have been ****ting on his own doorstep.

Bostonhibby
06-07-2016, 08:26 PM

[emoji106] Boycott should be easy enough then.

Jack
06-07-2016, 08:48 PM
[emoji106] Boycott should be easy enough then.

A boycott would be easier if anyone bought the bloody thing to start with!

Shore Thing
06-07-2016, 08:59 PM
****ting on his own doorstep.
That's the phrase I was looking for! Hehe

Bostonhibby
06-07-2016, 09:05 PM
A boycott would be easier if anyone bought the bloody thing to start with!
[emoji1]

NadeAteMyLunch!
06-07-2016, 09:34 PM
Agreed. Also he would surely have been better to have a go at hearts for 2 reasons. They have had issues with a far right element within their support and he wouldn't have been ****ting on his own doorstep.

A couple of well publicised nazi salutes from hearts fans in recent times, if he really wanted to go with his ludicrous link between neo nazis and Edinburgh football. Even then it would have been a ridiculously pish article. However, to try and link that crap with us is unforgivable. Get him taken to task please![emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

ScottB
06-07-2016, 11:03 PM
Didn't Gerry run the Leith Agency who did the Irn Bru Snowman ad a few years back?

Saw him being interviewed the other day about something. Wasn't about this.

Suppose the thing with columnists these days is to make it as sensational as you can (Katie Hopkins springs to mind) but there's a difference between sensationalist and false.

Was ousted after he had a Twitter meltdown sending abuse to the council after a campaign was poorly received.

Guy's a total bellend.

Forza Fred
07-07-2016, 01:38 AM
Was ousted after he had a Twitter meltdown sending abuse to the council after a campaign was poorly received.

Guy's a total bellend.

The 'article' is rambling and jumps all over the place.

He probably wrote it thinking it was some kind of call to arms for goodness and light, but all it has done is by association, tarnished Hibs supporters.

Social Media has many good sides, but it also has the possibility to give a completely false impression of our inclusive club.

I nearly choked on my kangaroo steak when I read this article on my Facebook page....and while I know it's all tosh, Joe Public out there in the rest of Oz, probably thinks...because they have no reason really to think otherwise....that Leith is a hotbed of right wing fanatics, and all us Hibs supporters, are tattooed foot soldiers for the knuckle dragging extremists!

I am appalled that such a poorly written 'column filler' could ever find its way into the News, and hope to read that this person 'no longer works for the Edinburgh Evening News'

It warrants, at the very least, some kind of acknowledgement of regret that the article was published, by the News, or a boycott could well be in order.

IainC
07-07-2016, 07:24 AM
I am appalled that such a poorly written 'column filler' could ever find its way into the News......

You've never read any of John Gibson's stuff then?

:wink:

Bill Milne
07-07-2016, 07:46 AM
Sorry, but the guys I know from the Bounce are from the opposite side of the political spectrum. They just wouldn't tolerate anyone promoting a neo-fascist agenda on their site. The 'author' is obviously no very well and we should be feeling sympathy for him and his family. It is a rambling piece of pash - almost W Joyce-like in its scattergun approach.

Bit of a name-dropper with the reference to Lord Haw-haw, surely!!

Forza Fred
07-07-2016, 08:09 AM
You've never read any of John Gibson's stuff then?

:wink:

He did publish some Tory tosh in his time, but I did actually carry in my wallet for a number of years a very short few paras he wrote after our 6-1 cup final defeat by Celtic in 72.

Basically it said, just put your dreams away for another day.

Smartie
07-07-2016, 09:42 AM
That's the phrase I was looking for! Hehe

"He's pi55ed on his chips" works quite well too.

southsider
07-07-2016, 10:21 AM
It is a joke of a "paper". EDINBURGH Evening News - printed in Glasgow and through here by 6am. Remember when they printed the Final about lunch time then the late final about 3/4 o'clock in the afternoon not the bl**dy morning before. It will go out the box soon.

Ozyhibby
07-07-2016, 10:43 AM
It is a joke of a "paper". EDINBURGH Evening News - printed in Glasgow and through here by 6am. Remember when they printed the Final about lunch time then the late final about 3/4 o'clock in the afternoon not the bl**dy morning before. It will go out the box soon.

Stopped buying it a couple of years ago and don't even bother clicking on it either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe Baker2
07-07-2016, 11:25 AM
cannot believe that EEN/Scotsman would publish such unsubstantiated crap. It's slanderous libel. Are they so short of content that they print any story about Nazis? The author is no friend of HFC and should stay clear of Leith.

FranckSuzy
07-07-2016, 11:32 AM
I've only just read the 'article' so made sure I tweeted the EEN to advise how the Bounce supported our 'Refugees Welcome' campaign last year and that they contribute to Kicks for Kids season tickets used by Black, Minority Ethnic (BME) children also.

Jamie, one of the admins there, also runs and maintains the Leith Links website for a very small fee, which I pay, so all donations go toward tickets. Absolute nonsense piece from GF AND the EEN.

Centre Hawf
07-07-2016, 11:46 AM
Awful attempt to stir up interest in what is now a total piss take of a paper. I echo many of the posts on this already that say this "behaviour" isnt tolerated on either forums or within the Hibs support.

Hope this fud gets the bullet and whoever let him write that drivel is also.

Deansy
07-07-2016, 11:53 AM
So it's all based on an 8 year-old thread, that's quite clearly an April-fool ? - KER-CHING !!!

Perhaps the 'Quality-check' team (:faf:) at the EEN, like the author, didn't notice the date ..............

Forza Fred
07-07-2016, 12:31 PM
I too have. Emailed the News venting my displeasure.

However I do not expect a reply and I fully expect they will simply ignore any and all calls for any kind of apology.

Talk of libel actions are just that, talk..their legal resources would be much greater than anything the Bounce could muster, and someone could lose their house in legal fees, if anyone was unwise enough to fight this through the courts.

The Captain....
07-07-2016, 12:32 PM
I've only just read the 'article' so made sure I tweeted the EEN to advise how the Bounce supported our 'Refugees Welcome' campaign last year and that they contribute to Kicks for Kids season tickets used by Black, Minority Ethnic (BME) children also.

Jamie, one of the admins there, also runs and maintains the Leith Links website for a very small fee, which I pay, so all donations go toward tickets. Absolute nonsense piece from GF AND the EEN.

Well done Suzy - the absence of any attempt to verify the factual accuracy of the filth that was written by this buffoon is absolutely criminal. I cannot see how it is not defamatory.

The sad thing is mud sticks and if this prevents one person donating to such worthy causes it has caused damage. It seems that football supporters can have untold amounts of **** thrown at them with no basis in fact. I sincerely hope the club itself put out some sort of statement as well as it would help ensure this article is treated with the contempt it deserves.

As I understand it and having spoken to a few folk yesterday its not only the Bounce that want a "strong word" with the 'author' of this.

GreenLake
07-07-2016, 12:44 PM
From his web site (http://gerryfarrellink.com) "Who We Are - Creative Thinkers & Problem Solvers"

but clearly not in the area of prosthodontics. 17103

Problem Creators & Thinking Slavers

Bostonhibby
07-07-2016, 12:53 PM
From his web site (http://gerryfarrellink.com) "Who We Are - Creative Thinkers & Problem Solvers"

but clearly not in the area of prosthodontics. 17103

Problem Creators & Thinking Slavers
Is that PR speak for tossers?

Ozyhibby
07-07-2016, 12:53 PM
I too have. Emailed the News venting my displeasure.

However I do not expect a reply and I fully expect they will simply ignore any and all calls for any kind of apology.

Talk of libel actions are just that, talk..their legal resources would be much greater than anything the Bounce could muster, and someone could lose their house in legal fees, if anyone was unwise enough to fight this through the courts.

Agreed. There is no chance of a legal remedy here. The fans need to stop buying the paper and visiting the website. The club could also do their bit by withdrawing co-operation with the paper.

Viva_Palmeiras
08-07-2016, 08:02 AM
Pretty poor for a local [whatever it is now] to publish tenuous claims against a volunteer led and modestly funded forum. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

Bostonhibby
08-07-2016, 08:18 AM
Pretty poor for a local [whatever it is now] to publish tenuous claims against a volunteer led and modestly funded forum. Like shooting fish in a barrel.
How local is this plank? Surely can't live in or understand Leith?

Jack
13-07-2016, 04:03 PM
Copied from the HibeesBounce, who copied it from somewhere else!

Last week I wrote a piece about violent neo-Nazi groups like the National Front, the Scottish Defence League, National Alliance and Combat 18, putting stickers covered in swastikas in the Kirkgate and on road signs on the way to Leith.

I also mentioned that I’d found hate speech on the Hibees Bounce website, posted, I assumed, by Hibs casuals. Ever since then, I’ve been getting my fair share of Roberta Flack. (As in “The first time ever I saw your face, I wanted to punch it.”)

If you were one of my critics you were right and I’m sorry for getting it wrong.

I’m a journalist, or at least a contributor, to an Edinburgh newspaper and I managed to seriously upset some of my fellow Hibs fans, not to mention the admin team and members at HibeesBounce. It was a careless piece of journalism and I regret it.

Here’s how it happened: before I sent my article in to the Editor, I thought I better check out the behaviour of the neo-Nazi groups I’d been writing about.

I typed ‘Combat 18’ into Google and the first link took me straight to a thread on HibeesBounce. I was so shocked at the racial slurs I saw, I wrongly assumed the posts were fresh and genuine. In fact, all the messages were put up on April Fool’s Day, 2008. What a total fanny I was not to smell a rat and check the date. What can I say? I come from a long line of fannies.

So to all the decent Hibs fans out there who have never made a racist remark in their puff, especially the HibeesBounce members and admin team who do so much unsung work to help refugees and charities like the Dniprokids appeal in Ukraine, I offer my sincere apology.

I was quick to make a private apology to HibeesBounce. I offered to meet them face to face to make peace. I’m delighted to hear they’ve taken those old posts down.

In my opinion, there’s no place for any kind of racist or pro-Nazi language on any football website, even if it’s posted as ‘banter’, even if there’s worse on other teams’ sites, which there undoubtedly is.
I’ve said I’m sorry. Now let’s all re-discover our sense of humour and get rid of the rhetoric on both sides.

That’s the Hibs way.

Gerry Farrell.

It is now online

CraigHibee
13-07-2016, 04:09 PM
the guy was clearly nose first in a tub of superglue when he wrote that article, fair play for him holding his hands up but he should never have written such guff and should have looked into things fully before releasing that embarrassing story.

no wonder he got stick

AltheHibby
13-07-2016, 04:19 PM
That's actually a decent apology.

Pete
13-07-2016, 04:23 PM
Good stuff Gerry. Still beggars belief that you didn't realise the thread was tongue in cheek.

Bostonhibby
13-07-2016, 04:23 PM

:agree:

Wee Effen Bee
13-07-2016, 04:24 PM
the guy was clearly nose first in a tub of superglue when he wrote that article, fair play for him holding his hands up but he should never have written such guff and should have looked into things fully before releasing that embarrassing story.

no wonder he got stick

:agree: A decent journalist would always double check their 'sources'. However, the guy admitted he cocked up big time and his apology is sincere. We should make sure the EN prints this (not sure if they already have as I don't buy the Tory rag) and the Bounce is totally vindicated...as much as a bunch of radges can be vindicated:greengrin

Pretty Boy
13-07-2016, 04:26 PM
As far as journalists apologies go that's not a bad one.

Keith_M
13-07-2016, 04:49 PM
Will his apology be printed in the Evening News?

Ozyhibby
13-07-2016, 04:53 PM
Fair enough that he has apologised but do you really get to call yourself a journalist these days if you just google stuff and then write an article about it without double checking sources, or offering a right of reply etc?
I put more effort into (some of) my posts on here.
The guy has pretty much admitted in his apology that he is a terrible journalist who has no idea what being a journalist entails. Lucky for him, his incompetence appears to be matched by his editor so his job is likely safe for now.

Keith_M
13-07-2016, 04:58 PM
Fair enough that he has apologised but do you really get to call yourself a journalist these days if you just google stuff and then write an article about it without double checking sources, or offering a right of reply etc?.

Totally agree with this.

He said that he's a Fanny, from a long line of Fannies and I heartily agree with him on that at least.

NAE NOOKIE
13-07-2016, 05:07 PM
A decent apology and to be fair it makes a change for any 'journalist' to admit he got it wrong. All he needs to do now is make sure its printed in the EEN, they are as culpable as him by allowing the original article to be published in the first place.

Ozyhibby
13-07-2016, 05:18 PM
A decent apology and to be fair it makes a change for any 'journalist' to admit he got it wrong. All he needs to do now is make sure its printed in the EEN, they are as culpable as him by allowing the original article to be published in the first place.

That's why they don't apologies though. He has basically admitted he is a crap journalist. Not a great selling point to future employers. He would have been better toughing it out. I think he will be quietly dropped after this.

Iggy Pope
13-07-2016, 05:27 PM
As far as journalists apologies go that's not a bad one.

As far as journalists go, he's certainly not one.

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-07-2016, 05:28 PM
The apology is in this morning's "Evening News", time for a change of title methinks! :greengrin

Not too sure how he got his line about being a fanny past the editor but, at least he's being honest.

Ozyhibby
13-07-2016, 05:37 PM
The apology is in this morning's "Evening News", time for a change of title methinks! :greengrin

Not too sure how he got his line about being a fanny past the editor but, at least he's being honest.

I reckon you could get anything past that editor. [emoji3]

NAE NOOKIE
13-07-2016, 05:40 PM
I reckon you could get anything past that editor. [emoji3]

The crux of the problem :agree:

CockneyRebel
13-07-2016, 05:47 PM
Will his apology be printed in the Evening News?

Was in it this morning.

lucky
13-07-2016, 06:02 PM

It is. Shame that all journalists don't apologies in that way

Hiber-nation
13-07-2016, 06:03 PM
Nice apology Gerry. Now just go away and do something other then journalism please.

Keith_M
13-07-2016, 06:06 PM
Was in it this morning.

Cheers.

Well done on admitting you were wrong.

You really are a crap journalist, time to give it up, methinks.

Dashing Bob S
13-07-2016, 06:34 PM
Delighted to see the EEN has had the balls to apologise for this bloody outrage.

I must goose-step down to the local Pakistani greengrocers and pick up my copy as I tell him to go back to where he came from for the third time today.

Green_one
13-07-2016, 09:07 PM
It is. Shame that all journalists don't apologies in that way

Agreed, decent apology Gerry. More than I would have hoped for. Lets move on. If the Bounce are happy I am happy.

As usual Dashing Bob has left me with a smile :not worth