PDA

View Full Version : Time For Heroes (the book)

Danderhall Hibs
06-07-2016, 06:33 AM
I bought this the other day and have only started reading it but wondering if anyone has any thoughts on it?

My initial thoughts are I don't like his writing style and I'm amazed that there are a couple of inaccuracies before I get to the actual story of the season.

I know he's tried to get it out ASAP to cash in but surely it should've been checked first?

Viva_Palmeiras
06-07-2016, 06:47 AM
I know what you mean I'm still glad for it tho. I'm not finished so will reserve overall judgement. It is his journal so from the heart and his love (and his family's) for Hibs shines through. Iirc Some of the humour around historical references to Hibs scottish cup were a little contrived.

hibsbollah
06-07-2016, 07:00 AM
Started writing it the day after the final and finished it two weeks later? We should have got him working on the Cup final merchandising...

HIBERNIAN-0762
06-07-2016, 07:32 AM
Seems a bit rushed no? I'm not a big fan of his writing to be honest but I'm sure this will end up in my stocking at Christmas :wink:

micksoo
06-07-2016, 07:42 AM
I read it on Friday on my holiday flight and I enjoyed it. Well worth a read.

Heisenberg
06-07-2016, 07:43 AM
I didn't expect it to be written the way it is. More like a diary of the season than anything else. Did he write it as the season was going forward or has he just rushed it out after the final?

jarre1875
06-07-2016, 07:49 AM
I read it on sunday. Really enjoyed it. Worth a read

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Danderhall Hibs
06-07-2016, 08:07 AM
I didn't expect it to be written the way it is. More like a diary of the season than anything else. Did he write it as the season was going forward or has he just rushed it out after the final?

He said he kept a diary as the season went. But he also said someone proof read the book...

Danderhall Hibs
06-07-2016, 08:09 AM
I know what you mean I'm still glad for it tho. I'm not finished so will reserve overall judgement. It is his journal so from the heart and his love (and his family's) for Hibs shines through. Iirc Some of the humour around historical references to Hibs scottish cup were a little contrived.

The historical references are as far as I've got really - cringeworthy. The mention of "Mark Docherty" was poor and I was wondering what he was doing in Hampden until 4.50 after the Falkirk semi final?

Having said that I'm glad someone is writing books about Hibs.

HappyHanlon
06-07-2016, 08:14 AM
I paid £2.99 on iBooks, a cracking read.

Billychaotic182
06-07-2016, 08:33 AM
Just bought it on iBook. Will start reading it on my break. What are the inaccuracies in it?

Liberal Hibby
06-07-2016, 08:39 AM
Who's the author?

Danderhall Hibs
06-07-2016, 09:30 AM
Just bought it on iBook. Will start reading it on my break. What are the inaccuracies in it?

You'll spot them yourself - I've already alluded to the first 2 I saw earlier in the thread.

Danderhall Hibs
06-07-2016, 09:31 AM
Who's the author?

Ted Brack.

Zondervan
06-07-2016, 09:47 AM
Sorry but the book is predominantly NOT about the cup final, and he and his publisher have a cheek with the title of the book.

It is basically a diary of the season, cumulative in our cup win.

Not got a problem with his style of writing, but folk buying this need to know they will be mostly reading about getting pumped off Dumbarton or achieving narrow victories against Raith Rovers etc, with some topping and tailing about the cup final.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liberal Hibby
06-07-2016, 09:52 AM
Ted Brack.

Thanks. I think I'll give it a miss then.

theonlywayisup
06-07-2016, 11:10 AM
What's the ending like? Did the good guys win over the dark side?

Pretty Boy
06-07-2016, 11:31 AM
Bought it the other day and fired through it.

Not great tbh but I'll admit to not being a huge fan of Ted Bracks style.

I hope down the line someone can do the day justice in a book.

Bostonhibby
06-07-2016, 02:43 PM
What's the ending like? Did the good guys win over the dark side?
Apparently most of the losers got killed in the end. Haven't seen any obituaries so maybe they just died quietly like their former club.

Onion
06-07-2016, 02:54 PM
Interesting read and glad I bought it. Think he could have committed far more of it to the Cup and particularly the final, which must go down as one of the greatest days in Hibs history.

When I pick it up again in 10 years time, not sure I'll be interested in what happened on a wet Wed at Brockville. All I'll want is to relive 21 May 2016.

Finn2015
06-07-2016, 05:09 PM
Looking to pick up a copy this Sunday

Sammy7nil
06-07-2016, 08:32 PM
Ted is a big Hibby, the book is well worth a read if you are off on holiday soon.

Danderhall Hibs
06-07-2016, 11:13 PM
Wee bit further in now, I'm not anymore impressed.

His "diary" tends to predict the future a fair bit.

Itsnoteasy
07-07-2016, 02:03 AM
He said he kept a diary as the season went. But he also said someone proof read the book...

I wonder if he has been keeping diaries for years just waiting for that year that it had a fairytale ending. Wouldn't think writing a diary & publishing would be a spur of the moment thing.

Danderhall Hibs
07-07-2016, 06:27 AM
I wonder if he has been keeping diaries for years just waiting for that year that it had a fairytale ending. Wouldn't think writing a diary & publishing would be a spur of the moment thing.

Maybe he did - although some of the diary entries appear to have been written after the event so maybe he just trawled back through to get the info after the cup final.

Craig_in_Prague
07-07-2016, 09:33 AM
Bought it the other day and fired through it.

Not great tbh but I'll admit to not being a huge fan of Ted Bracks style.

I hope down the line someone can do the day justice in a book.

Yep and happy to wait as well for it; if someone does a proper job on it.

I have one of Ted's books, can't remember the name - but it was quite poor, I am not in a rush for this latest book. Using the title he has - no doubt will increase the sales, a tad cheeky IMHO.

Onion
07-07-2016, 09:56 AM
Any book about Hibs winning the Cup is a good read. IMO this one fails to capture the essence of the day, the build up, what Hibs fans were feeling in the run up given we'd lost badly in 12, 13, lost the LC Final, lost out on promo the week before, the media acceptance that Rangers would win and complete their resurrection.

For me, the week before and day itself was like no previous final, low expectations, no nerves, no thoughts of parades, or legends or what ifs. That remained the case right up until the 78th min when Stokes scored.

southsider
07-07-2016, 10:09 AM
Watched the Final yet again last night and with about 25 minutes to go our fans started singing, the drummer began drumming and the whole atmosphere changed. Sevco fans went very quiet. What really changed the game was David Gray's tackle on Shields. Suddenly, as if by fate or magic we knew we could win and so it proved. This will live with me until my last breath. Or maybe longer if the have whisky and women in Hell. lol.

Sammy7nil
07-07-2016, 09:00 PM
Yep and happy to wait as well for it; if someone does a proper job on it.

I have one of Ted's books, can't remember the name - but it was quite poor, I am not in a rush for this latest book. Using the title he has - no doubt will increase the sales, a tad cheeky IMHO.

Yeah imagine using a title that might sell more books the cheek of the man :rolleyes::greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
07-07-2016, 09:15 PM
The sort of reflective analysis (rightly imo) called for is something that can only be unraveled through a bit of time. Maybe HibsMax will be capturing the essence of that albeit through the multiple eyes of others.

I just think the enormity of it all is still working its way through. So something necessarily completed shortly after the event was never going to capture that.

I've not competed it yet so will reserve judgement.

GreenNWhiteArmy
08-07-2016, 11:34 PM
I'm in the process of reading it now. Must admit to being a bit shocked at the format of the book with it being a diary more than anything.

Enjoying it so far, the one thing it has done is given me a gentle reminder of the season as a whole. Trips to morton/Inverness. Home games against Livi and alloa. 2015/16 was an incredible ride which ultimately ended in the most glorious way imaginable after threatening to be another disappointment. I've been in trouble from work, relationships ended all because of following hibs last season. Oh how it was all worth it 💚💚💚

ian cruise
09-07-2016, 01:39 AM
I will admit to not having read the book so I can't comment on the quality of the writing but I'm not surprised it's more of a season review rather than just a book about the final. I'm not sure a book solely on the final would be possible to fill enough pages for a full book, plus the season as a whole was part of the overall story. When I think back to that day and when Henderson put that cross in, it's the culmination of a both heartbreaking and wonderful season, which seemed to make it all the more special.

Dashing Bob S
09-07-2016, 01:55 AM
I will admit to not having read the book so I can't comment on the quality of the writing but I'm not surprised it's more of a season review rather than just a book about the final. I'm not sure a book solely on the final would be possible to fill enough pages for a full book, plus the season as a whole was part of the overall story. When I think back to that day and when Henderson put that cross in, it's the culmination of a both heartbreaking and wonderful season, which seemed to make it all the more special.

Just finished it and quite frankly, it is both a) pish as a book, (for the reasons outlined above) and b) highly evocative of the cup run and the game and the topsy-turvy but ultimately glorious season.

Therefore it will continue to function as a stop-gap for celebration junkies (ie: all of us) until better product comes along.

So Ted deserves our thanks for keeping the kettle boiling.

StokePogesHibs
09-07-2016, 02:22 AM
Watched the Final yet again last night and with about 25 minutes to go our fans started singing, the drummer began drumming and the whole atmosphere changed. Sevco fans went very quiet. What really changed the game was David Gray's tackle on Shields. Suddenly, as if by fate or magic we knew we could win and so it proved. This will live with me until my last breath. Or maybe longer if the have whisky and women in Hell. lol.

That was 'the' moment. I have not heard from the players but I think the Hibs players saw Rangers 'blowing out there *****' and went for the kill. I saw gray injured and Hanlon signaling a problem. Thought we were screwed. DG gets up like new. Makes that challenge, forces the throw, takes it quickly to Fyvie, pass to Stokes, shot, corner.
Henderson delivers, Gray Goal.The rest is the the sweetest historical moment of my life (ex family). GGTTH

Brizo
09-07-2016, 05:25 AM
There is a great book waiting to be written about the SCF including interviews with players and fans. In my opinion Ted would have been the person to write that book. Unfortunately he has put out what appears to be, from reviews on here, a cobbled together rush job based primarily on a diary covering the season.

That's a pity because Teds not in it for the money or the ego. Maybe his publisher saw pound signs and there are contractual implications if he had said no to doing it. I enjoy Teds books but don't think ill be buying this one.

Callum7
09-07-2016, 11:46 AM
He's signing books in the gyle till 1:30.

Ilovehibs
09-07-2016, 03:26 PM
Sorry but the book is predominantly NOT about the cup final, and he and his publisher have a cheek with the title of the book.

It is basically a diary of the season, cumulative in our cup win.

Not got a problem with his style of writing, but folk buying this need to know they will be mostly reading about getting pumped off Dumbarton or achieving narrow victories against Raith Rovers etc, with some topping and tailing about the cup final.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you read the blurb on the back of the book it states quite clearly what the format and content are.

Think 'Time for Heroes' is a perfect title personally. All about opinions eh.

I really enjoyed reading this book on my holidays.