PDA

View Full Version : RIP David Drysdale

hibsbollah
05-07-2016, 12:12 PM
I have no idea on which forum to post this so mods please move it where you see fit.

My good friend and devoted Hibby David Drysdale passed away last night aged 50, after a struggle with cancer. He leaves behind a wife a son and a baby daughter.

Quite a few people on this board will know David from the 1980s when he set up, managed and kept goal for the London Hibs football team, I wasn't there at the time but I believe that the team wouldn't have got started at all without him.

He was a massively influential person professionally, always working on behalf of others and trying to make the world a better place; again I wasn't really involved in this part of his life but this link should explain what sort of person he was. A nice eulogy from John Swinney here.

http://www.fathersnetwork.org.uk/david_drysdale_death

In May when we finally won the Cup, David was in a Marie Curie centre, knowing what his final diagnosis was, cheering with joy. When some friends arranged with Hibs FC to bring the Cup into the Marie Curie for David to hold aloft you can see from the photos on Facebook how much joy it brought him. Its in these moments when you see what sport can do for people.

I knew David in the last few years in Edinburgh as our kids were friends together. eventually our families got close, we became running partners and we became good friends. Ill miss him massively. Because of his death and the financial implications for his young family, some friends set up a crowd funding account (sp?) online which has already raised over £10,000 in just a few weeks. This alone shows how widely he was liked and respected. I never really knew some of the stuff he'd done in his life. Some of you on here may have known him
and have some stories youd like to post on here too.

RIP my friend.

banarc7062
05-07-2016, 12:19 PM
RIP Hibbee. Look down throughout the season and get us a few goals when needed.

Mr White
05-07-2016, 12:20 PM
Sad news, thoughts with his family and friends. RIP.

JimBHibees
05-07-2016, 12:23 PM
RIP David, hugely sad. What an amazing life he appears to have led on reading the link. Having to tell your 8 year old son you are not going to survive must have been truly heartbreaking. Condolences to his family and friends.

FranckSuzy
05-07-2016, 12:23 PM
I'm very sorry to hear that news. I saw the pics on Facebook, which were extremely moving, and you could see how much it meant to him. RIP David.

HIBERNIAN-0762
05-07-2016, 01:01 PM
RIP David, didn't know him but very touched by that above tribute.

Finn2015
05-07-2016, 01:08 PM
Didn't know him but would like to extend my condolences to those who did, his friends and family. RIP

CockneyRebel
05-07-2016, 01:12 PM
I have no idea on which forum to post this so mods please move it where you see fit.

My good friend and devoted Hibby David Drysdale passed away last night aged 50, after a struggle with cancer. He leaves behind a wife a son and a baby daughter.

Quite a few people on this board will know David from the 1980s when he set up, managed and kept goal for the London Hibs football team, I wasn't there at the time but I believe that the team wouldn't have got started at all without him.

He was a massively influential person professionally, always working on behalf of others and trying to make the world a better place; again I wasn't really involved in this part of his life but this link should explain what sort of person he was. A nice eulogy from John Swinney here.

In May when we finally won the Cup, David was in a Marie Curie centre, knowing what his final diagnosis was, cheering with joy. When some friends arranged with Hibs FC to bring the Cup into the Marie Curie for David to hold aloft you can see from the photos on Facebook how much joy it brought him. Its in these moments when you see what sport can do for people.

I knew David in the last few years in Edinburgh as our kids were friends together. eventually our families got close, we became running partners and we became good friends. Ill miss him massively. Because of his death and the financial implications for his young family, some friends set up a crowd funding account (sp?) online which has already raised over £10,000 in just a few weeks. This alone shows how widely he was liked and respected. I never really knew some of the stuff he'd done in his life. Some of you on here may have known him

RIP my friend.

Such a sad story - is there a link to the fund account, I'm not on social meeja.

Leithenhibby
05-07-2016, 01:24 PM

RIP my friend.

Very sad, too young and down right not fair. Thoughts with family and friends RIP David.

brog
05-07-2016, 01:30 PM
Very sad indeed, so pleased Davie was able to see the Cup before he passed away & huge kudos to Frank & the London Hibs guys who arranged this. There are hundreds of us in London who've enjoyed great friendships for over 25 years now thanks to Davie, & others' efforts in establishing London Hibs.

Bostonhibby
05-07-2016, 01:32 PM
Sad to hear, he achieved a lot in his short life, something to be proud of, another good hibby. RIP

hibsbollah
05-07-2016, 01:36 PM
Such a sad story - is there a link to the fund account, I'm not on social meeja.

Yes, here it is. The target has already been smashed (I think because he was an inspiration to so many people, Hibs fans and not), but if you want to help a young family without a breadwinner then Thanks :aok:

https://earth-ways.com/projects/support-for-david-misol-manow-and-maya-drysdale/

NAE NOOKIE
05-07-2016, 02:40 PM
A nice tribute hibsbollah ..... condolences to his family and friends, RIP David.

Skyegreen
05-07-2016, 02:46 PM
RIP

David

Billy Whizz
05-07-2016, 02:51 PM
Sad news, and someone so young too

jacomo
05-07-2016, 02:54 PM
Goodness, very sorry to hear this.

Condolences to his family, they can be very proud of him.

CyberSauzee
05-07-2016, 03:11 PM
Very, very sad news. I knew David from his time in London. One of life's good guys.

mim
05-07-2016, 03:31 PM
Very sad.
RIP David.

Gerard
05-07-2016, 03:56 PM
Goodness, very sorry to hear this.

Condolences to his family, they can be very proud of him.

RIP David and condolences to his family.

ronaldo7
05-07-2016, 04:28 PM
I saw the photos of him holding the cup with his pals on Twitter. Great stuff lads. Rip David.

IWasThere2016
05-07-2016, 04:45 PM
Very sad. Rest In Peace.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-07-2016, 04:51 PM
Knew of David through London Hibs. Articulate and engaging, i imagine folks that met him would be left with a positive impression. Sound like he burned brightly with the short time he was with us.

I had no idea he'd set this initiative up but on reflection it's perhaps not that surprising.

So sad and a reminder of how precious life is. RIP.

Simkin911
05-07-2016, 04:53 PM
Sad to read but also so enlightening. Far too young. RIP.

One Day Soon
05-07-2016, 06:05 PM

RIP my friend.

I'm very sorry to read that. Such a terrible blow for his family and for you too.

I am about his age and I cannot imagine having to give news of this sort to my son. Looking at his life and achievements there is plenty to be proud of, but so much more too that he clearly might have achieved if he'd lived longer. A very impressive guy.

I hope he lives long in your memory. There's rarely a day goes by that I don't think of the few close friends I now miss so much. It is sore and the only thing I can think of is to try to be a friend to others as they were to me.

London Hibs Supporters Club
05-07-2016, 06:13 PM
Very sad indeed, so pleased Davie was able to see the Cup before he passed away & huge kudos to Frank & the London Hibs guys who arranged this. There are hundreds of us in London who've enjoyed great friendships for over 25 years now thanks to Davie, & others' efforts in establishing London Hibs.

Absolutely horrific news. Someone who I knew well and this has been a right kick in the gonads. Thank you God - you warped *****er.

I will send out an email tonight to all on the London Hibs list and we can hopefully muster some funds for a wreath at his funeral.

He was an integral part on the birth of the LHSC and his name will forever live long.

I'm raising a wee glass to you now, David :aok:

mrdependable
05-07-2016, 08:06 PM
Very sad news. I knew David a little as a kid and reading about his life i wish id stayed in touch. He sounds like a remarkable man.
My condolences to his family and friends

hibsbollah
10-07-2016, 03:41 PM
David will be getting a minutes applause on 50 minutes into the Brondby game on Thursday. Unbelievable news and a credit to the club and the individuals who organising it.

I'm bumping this thread partly so people know and remember who the silence is for (I've been in a crowd more than once when I stand and clap totally clueless about who the person is or why they are being so honoured) and partly to say it's amazing how the crowd funding appeal has exploded, and I recognise a few names from on here having contributed something so thanks :aok:

I'll bump it again pre match on Thursday if that's cool :aok:

kaimendhibs
10-07-2016, 04:43 PM
RIP David.

hibsbollah
14-07-2016, 04:19 PM
A wee reminder of David's applause 5 minutes into the second half tonight. He'd be blown away. Thanks to all The Hibs Family:flag:

Ilovehibs
14-07-2016, 10:11 PM
A wee reminder of David's applause 5 minutes into the second half tonight. He'd be blown away. Thanks to all The Hibs Family:flag:

A heartfelt and respectful minute's applause for David tonight. RIP. GGTTH.