PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Hibs & scottish football transfer rumours

Pages : 1 [2] 3

mcfly
07-07-2016, 04:51 PM
Some great chat and opinions on here but any news on some signings???

IWasThere2016
07-07-2016, 04:53 PM
Some great chat and opinions on here but any news on some signings???

Notice in the club shop windae says "Signings Tomorrow" :wink: :greengrin

ancient hibee
07-07-2016, 05:02 PM
Yes but the post I replied to specified Keith Wright and Darren Jackson. At this stage JC is inferior to neither.

He is however not even on the same planet as Joe Baker was.

Total diversion but could I appeal to all reading this to nominate Joe for the Scottish Football Hall of Fame.It's an outrage he's not in it.I've nominated him three years in a row(twice on visits to Hampden).When you see some of the people in it-T.Butcher for instance it makes me wild.

greenpaper55
07-07-2016, 05:04 PM
Total diversion but could I appeal to all reading this to nominate Joe for the Scottish Football Hall of Fame.It's an outrage he's not in it.I've nominated him three years in a row(twice on visits to Hampden).When you see some of the people in it-T.Butcher for instance it makes me wild.

Well said, lets all nominate Joe and get his name in.

Hanny
07-07-2016, 05:07 PM

http://scottishfootballhalloffame.co.uk/nominations/

Nominations are open for 2016 :aok:

Smartie
07-07-2016, 05:09 PM

Is he REALLY more deserving than David Gray though?

ancient hibee
07-07-2016, 05:16 PM

We could consider that when Gray does it again next May.

hibbybrian
07-07-2016, 05:45 PM

Really?

superfurryhibby
07-07-2016, 06:24 PM
Thread diversion. Joe Baker deserves inclusion in the hall of fame, I just nominated him:aok:

brog
07-07-2016, 06:32 PM
I was at the 4-3 game Baker9 refers to, it got quite scary. We were 4-0 up at half time and they came back in the 2nd half to 4-3. Some months before Joeh died I gave him a lift to the waveley after a game, it was just a thrill to listen to him. When he got out my mate who was in the back came round to get in the front, before he got in he gave Joe's seat a wee kiss. I have been privileged to have seen some great Hibs players in my time and Joe was up their with the best.

I agree your sentiments entirely but we were not 4-0 up at PBS, in fact I think Yams scored 1st. From memory we went 4-2 up & Yams pulled one back near the end but we hung on. Here's the stat for you, Yams conceded 11 league goals at Tynie all season, they won the league by 10 points. 17 year old Joe scored 4 at Tynie in 90 minutes!! Unreal! Comparisons between Joe & Jason are rldiculous though, other than they both have the same gallus nature. Jason is a fine talent but still learning his trade. Joe was a genius.

hibeeron
07-07-2016, 06:34 PM
I've also just voted for Joe, didn't realise he was not already in hall of fame
Met him a couple of times in Hibs Club - great stories and he was born in Liverpool where I live

Big L
07-07-2016, 06:53 PM
I agree your sentiments entirely but we were not 4-0 up at PBS, in fact I think Yams scored 1st. From memory we went 4-2 up & Yams pulled one back near the end but we hung on. Here's the stat for you, Yams conceded 11 league goals at Tynie all season, they won the league by 10 points. 17 year old Joe scored 4 at Tynie in 90 minutes!! Unreal! Comparisons between Joe & Jason are rldiculous though, other than they both have the same gallus nature. Jason is a fine talent but still learning his trade. Joe was a genius.

Totally agree re the comparison between JC & JB and I apologise for getting the half time scores wrong!

hhibs
07-07-2016, 07:54 PM
http://scottishfootballhalloffame.co.uk/nominations/

Nominations are open for 2016 :aok:

That is done,could not believe he was not already in there............bloody shameful !

Please ,all Hibs fans. this man was an immense footballer and a hugely nice guy,get nominating !

Gmack7
07-07-2016, 08:02 PM
Thread diversion. Joe Baker deserves inclusion in the hall of fame, I just nominated him:aok:

Also voted

cloudy
07-07-2016, 08:28 PM
Oxley off to a London club. Should be completed this weekend. Hope this is the correct thread

Allant1981
07-07-2016, 08:38 PM
Oxley off to a London club. Should be completed this weekend. Hope this is the correct thread

Thought he was off to southend

stantonhibby
07-07-2016, 08:44 PM
Thought he was off to southend

Near London

Allant1981
07-07-2016, 08:57 PM
Near London

Its about 40 miles away!!

brog
07-07-2016, 09:07 PM
Totally agree re the comparison between JC & JB and I apologise for getting the half time scores wrong!

Sorry for being a sad statto but we share our love & admiration for Joe! Great player, great man!

GreenNWhiteArmy
07-07-2016, 09:13 PM
Someone posted earlier in the thread about the ex Dun Utd and Celtic keeper Zaluska. Do any of the ITK posters know if there's anything in this? Played under Lennon at Celtic and looking for a club....

bingo70
07-07-2016, 09:17 PM
Not a Hibs signing but noticed John Rankin is signing for Falkirk, could be a good signing for them IMO

Apologies if old news

Michael
07-07-2016, 09:41 PM
Not a Hibs signing but noticed John Rankin is signing for Falkirk, could be a good signing for them IMO

Apologies if old news

What's the deal with Rankin anyway?

He was the invisible man for us and then he was at United for years. I never really heard him mentioned much during his time at United and yet he was in the team every week. Was he any good for them or did they just not notice he was there all those years?

Finn2015
07-07-2016, 09:42 PM
Still slightly concerning nothing seems in the offing. Think we still need a forward and to bolster the midfield

J-C
07-07-2016, 10:57 PM
Still slightly concerning nothing seems in the offing. Think we still need a forward and to bolster the midfield

Have some patience, it's only 7 days into the window ffs.

B.H.F.C
07-07-2016, 10:57 PM
Young keeper on trial from West Brom.

Big L
07-07-2016, 11:28 PM
Sorry for being a sad statto but we share our love & admiration for Joe! Great player, great man!

He told us the story about the Barca game when he got of the train at the west end and ran all the way to ER. He got in to the dressing room 15 mins before KO and they beat them 3-2. Their are not many teams that took 7 of Barca over 2 legs.He left us to join Roma I think, then went to Torino where he played up front with Dennis Law. What a front two!

Big L
07-07-2016, 11:30 PM

Whatever is happening they are keeping it quiet! Obviously learned from the McDonald carry on.

Unseen work
08-07-2016, 05:56 AM
Alex Palmer is the young goalie from West Brom

Only 19 so it's a weird one, will he want an inexperienced goalie battling it out with laidllaw?

bingo70
08-07-2016, 06:02 AM
Alex Palmer is the young goalie from West Brom

Only 19 so it's a weird one, will he want an inexperienced goalie battling it out with laidllaw?

I know it's unusual for keepers to play until they're a bit older but I've got no problem with it. I'd rather go for someone that could potentially be brilliant the someone that's only ever been average. Someone said that to be eligible for the Europa league they have to be signed by today though, if he's just starting a trial that suggests we'll be going with Virtannen against Brondby.

Think hearts keeper this season is still under 21 isn't he?

Also worth noting that the young keeper turns 20 in a few weeks which doesn't sound quite as bad as playing a 19 year old.

Matty_Jack04
08-07-2016, 06:30 AM
I know it's unusual for keepers to play until they're a bit older but I've got no problem with it. I'd rather go for someone that could potentially be brilliant the someone that's only ever been average. Someone said that to be eligible for the Europa league they have to be signed by today though, if he's just starting a trial that suggests we'll be going with Virtannen against Brondby.

Also worth noting that the young keeper turns 20 in a few weeks which doesn't sound quite as bad as playing a 19 year old.

Virtannen playing against brondby according to capital city press article, I'm happy with that this guy seemed to be getting overlooked with the possibility of NL bringing in 2 goal keepers you'd have to think virtannens time was up here without really given an opportunity.

Ronniekirk
08-07-2016, 08:07 AM

Lennon saying Palmer will play in goal on Sunday as part of his Trial He has confirmed Laid law is back up Keeper and that Otto will play against Brondby
Palmer hasn't played this year and only played on loan 11 times for Kidderminster
So if Laidlaw is back up Palmer is being looked at with a view to being No 1 keeper unless Otto has a stormer over two games against Brondby
However if Otto is to play v Bronby You would think he would start on Sunday Maybe keepers will get a half each
Interesting times but given its a key position in a season we need to get promotion in we need to ensure we get this right
Will wait and see but three inexperienced Keepers would be a risk and early mistakes would have the boo boys on his back Need a strong character with good concentration as well as ability

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SJM
08-07-2016, 08:20 AM
A number one will be signed I'm sure of it. Lennon doesn't seem to be taking Europe all that seriously though.

The_Horde
08-07-2016, 08:28 AM
Signed for Feyenoord.

Wheat Hound
08-07-2016, 08:31 AM
Signed for Feyenoord.

Who has?

Finn2015
08-07-2016, 08:36 AM
A number one will be signed I'm sure of it. Lennon doesn't seem to be taking Europe all that seriously though.

seems that way tbh. Hopeful they can get some signings in before the league kicks off

Oscar T Grouch
08-07-2016, 08:37 AM
Lennon saying Palmer will play in goal on Sunday as part of his Trial He has confirmed Laid law is back up Keeper and that Otto will play against Brondby
Palmer hasn't played this year and only played on loan 11 times for Kidderminster
So if Laidlaw is back up Palmer is being looked at with a view to being No 1 keeper unless Otto has a stormer over two games against Brondby
However if Otto is to play v Bronby You would think he would start on Sunday Maybe keepers will get a half each
Interesting times but given its a key position in a season we need to get promotion in we need to ensure we get this right
Will wait and see but three inexperienced Keepers would be a risk and early mistakes would have the boo boys on his back Need a strong character with good concentration as well as ability

Could Palmer not be for the developement squad? I don't think they have a keeper at the moment?

The_Horde
08-07-2016, 08:38 AM
Who has?

Oxley..

Previous poster mentioned Brad Jones. Then deleted it. Making me look rather foolish.

Ardenttwo
08-07-2016, 08:40 AM
Young keeper on trial from West Brom.
More goalies ???????

Ronniekirk
08-07-2016, 08:43 AM
Could Palmer not be for the developement squad? I don't think they have a keeper at the moment?

Could be but why the rush to play him on Sunday when Otto needs as mutch game time as possible before Brondby game Cant think of other development team signings that have gone straight into first team

Oscar T Grouch
08-07-2016, 08:47 AM
Could be but why the rush to play him on Sunday when Otto needs as mutch game time as possible before Brondby game Cant think of other development team signings that have gone straight into first team

If he's on trial seeing him in a game is a good way to see he skills and shortcomings? I don't know to be honest, but we need to get a developement goalie too.

Wheat Hound
08-07-2016, 08:47 AM
Oxley..

Previous poster mentioned Brad Jones. Then deleted it. Making me look rather foolish.

Ah I see!

NAE NOOKIE
08-07-2016, 08:49 AM

Though getting to the group stages of the Europa league would be a huge money spinner for us, the truth is that we have little to no chance of making it that far. In all honesty my take on the Brondby game is purely hoping that we don't get embarrassed .... I listened to the 2nd half of the Aberdeen game last night and they struggled like hell and were 'lucky' to make it past a team with 4 full time players and that was our 2nd placed club last year.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lennon is of the opinion that Europe is just too early in the season for us and of all the competitions we will play in this year his list of priorities is .... 1 the league ... 2 the league ... 3 the league .... 4 the league ......... with possibly a nod to defending the Scottish cup.

MyJo
08-07-2016, 08:59 AM

AC Milan's keeper for most of last season was 16.

SJM
08-07-2016, 09:22 AM

It would be a bit weird signing a goalie on loan from west brom so he can get games to place in the development squad.

SJM
08-07-2016, 09:24 AM
Though getting to the group stages of the Europa league would be a huge money spinner for us, the truth is that we have little to no chance of making it that far. In all honesty my take on the Brondby game is purely hoping that we don't get embarrassed .... I listened to the 2nd half of the Aberdeen game last night and they struggled like hell and were 'lucky' to make it past a team with 4 full time players and that was our 2nd placed club last year.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lennon is of the opinion that Europe is just too early in the season for us and of all the competitions we will play in this year his list of priorities is .... 1 the league ... 2 the league ... 3 the league .... 4 the league ......... with possibly a nod to defending the Scottish cup.

Yeah, you are probably right. As long as we don't get embarrassed I'm happy sacrificing it the more I think of it because the bee all an end all for Lennon, the team and the club as a whole is to go up this year.

chinaman
08-07-2016, 09:35 AM
Signed for Feyenoord.

Oxley signed for feyenoord ????

mim
08-07-2016, 09:41 AM
He told us the story about the Barca game when he got of the train at the west end and ran all the way to ER. He got in to the dressing room 15 mins before KO and they beat them 3-2. Their are not many teams that took 7 of Barca over 2 legs.He left us to join Roma I think, then went to Torino where he played up front with Dennis Law. What a front two!

Joe went from Hibs directly to Torino. He never played for Roma. He did play against them for Hibs, tho.

The_Horde
08-07-2016, 09:45 AM
Oxley signed for feyenoord ????

He's good enough. But no. :wink:

Pedantic_Hibee
08-07-2016, 09:45 AM
Hi all,

The bombardment of Keith Jackson continues unabated. I've got quite a few now tweeting him referencing his article suggesting all 11 The Rangers players were attacked. Please retweet my tweets and contact him directly.

He WILL apologise. I'll make sure of it.

@elblondiso

southsider
08-07-2016, 09:50 AM
Joe went from Hibs directly to Torino. He never played for Roma. He did play against them for Hibs, tho.
Hibs got £65,000 for him. Back in 1961 that was a fortune, around £14 million in todays rates.

J-C
08-07-2016, 09:54 AM
More goalies ???????

WE hardly have any.

Oxley is moving on, Virtanen and Laidlaw will be our 1st team goalies and Development team has none as Brennan was released at the end of last season.

The Captain....
08-07-2016, 09:55 AM
Lennon on Sky Sports interview after game last night saying there are "no permanent signings on the horizon just yet".

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/scottish-football/10495509/hibs-look-for-new-goalkeeper

Would have preferred to have had our no1 keeper signed and settled in by now tbh but if it means we're looking at better quality I appreciate it may take more time.

Looks like more patience required and a few more Cummings debates!:greengrin

Mathias Jack
08-07-2016, 10:02 AM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/hibernian/7209503/Neil-Lennon-offers-West-Brom-kid-Alex-Palmer-Hibs-trial.html

19 year old keeper on trial from West Brom, no offence to the lad but we need experience, not another back up keeper. A certainty Virtanen will start next Thursday...

Unseen work
08-07-2016, 10:11 AM
I wonder if the lack of transfer rumours is down to

Hibs keeping tight lipped about things
Struggling to identify players in out budget
Doesn't think the squad needs strengthened much

Personally think it's the first one however it's boring with no gossip :greengrin

Smartie
08-07-2016, 10:21 AM

Personally think it's the first one however it's boring with no gossip :greengrin

I think it might be a combination of the 2nd and 3rd. We have the bones of a cracking squad and it only needs tweaked.

Adding quality that will be an improvemwnt on what we already have will be a challenge on our budget. Stubbs pulled off a few miracles to get the players he acquired to come and play in this league.

pacoluna
08-07-2016, 10:24 AM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/hibernian/7209503/Neil-Lennon-offers-West-Brom-kid-Alex-Palmer-Hibs-trial.html

19 year old keeper on trial from West Brom, no offence to the lad but we need experience, not another back up keeper. A certainty Virtanen will start next Thursday...
Notice he mentions " we lost Conrad " wonder if it was conrad's decision not to stay.

southsider
08-07-2016, 10:25 AM
I think it might be a combination of the 2nd and 3rd. We have the bones of a cracking squad and it only needs tweaked.

Adding quality that will be an improvemwnt on what we already have will be a challenge on our budget. Stubbs pulled off a few miracles to get the players he acquired to come and play in this league.
Aye but now they are coming to play for THE SCOTTISH CUP CHAMPIONS !

GreenPJ
08-07-2016, 10:44 AM

Or are they worried about the level of fine/costs they might incur from the SC final and so looking for clarity on that before committing to significant player spend.

MSK
08-07-2016, 10:57 AM
Or are they worried about the level of fine/costs they might incur from the SC final and so looking for clarity on that before committing to significant player spend.I wouldnt think so, hibs are trying to push through the 10,000 season ticket mark to fund Lennons transfer kitty, not to pay a fine.

Waxy
08-07-2016, 11:29 AM
Rather we took our time and got quality rather than make three or four signings no better than what we have.

greenginger
08-07-2016, 11:37 AM
Or are they worried about the level of fine/costs they might incur from the SC final and so looking for clarity on that before committing to significant player spend.

Paying SFA fines are optional !

Just ask The Rangers F C. We'll pay when they settle up. :greengrin

hibbypostie
08-07-2016, 12:46 PM

aye no way can you be good at 19:confused:

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-07-2016, 12:53 PM
aye no way can you be good at 19:confused:

Not that I would hold you back from making things up, but the quoted post is about lack of experience rather than ability ? That is a fair point to make?

The_Horde
08-07-2016, 12:54 PM
Not that I would hold you back from making things up, but the quoted post is about lack of experience rather than ability ? That is a fair point to make?

Folk said the same about Oxley and look how that turned out..

Aw wait.

SJM
08-07-2016, 12:54 PM
Rather we took our time and got quality rather than make three or four signings no better than what we have.

I've heard that yin before.

Iain G
08-07-2016, 12:58 PM
I wouldnt think so, hibs are trying to push through the 10,000 season ticket mark to fund Lennons transfer kitty, not to pay a fine.

I thought she had left?! :greengrin

Shrekko
08-07-2016, 01:06 PM
I've heard that yin before.

Turned out to be true though did it not?

SJM
08-07-2016, 01:59 PM
Turned out to be true though did it not?

What under Fenlon and Yogi? It didnae really.

Shrekko
08-07-2016, 02:05 PM
What under Fenlon and Yogi? It didnae really.

Only time I remember that being said (and subsequently ridiculed) was when Stubbs said it on arrival .. and then went on to get guys like Gray, Allan, Malonga, McGeouch etc etc despite a slow start in bringing guys in.

GloryGlory
08-07-2016, 02:12 PM
Danny Rogers going back on loan to Falkirk. Another one to tick off the list.

SJM
08-07-2016, 02:14 PM
Only time I remember that being said (and subsequently ridiculed) was when Stubbs said it on arrival .. and then went on to get guys like Gray, Allan, Malonga, McGeouch etc etc despite a slow start in bringing guys in.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/hibs-boss-pat-fenlon-relishing-challenge-of-restoring-easter-road-side-to-spl-s-top-six-1-2410604

Shrekko
08-07-2016, 02:17 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/hibs-boss-pat-fenlon-relishing-challenge-of-restoring-easter-road-side-to-spl-s-top-six-1-2410604

Looks like David Hardie used the phrase and not Fenlon eh? ;-)

SJM
08-07-2016, 02:29 PM
Looks like David Hardie used the phrase and not Fenlon eh? ;-)

Never looked TBH and it doesn't bother me that much I just commented we have heard it before under a few managers. It's Friday and I cannae be arsed searching as works busy also. Peace.

Tobias Funke
08-07-2016, 03:04 PM
Never looked TBH and it doesn't bother me that much I just commented we have heard it before under a few managers. It's Friday and I cannae be arsed searching as works busy also. Peace.

You are cracking entertainment on here I must say. :tee hee:

Nutmegged
08-07-2016, 03:22 PM
Danny Rogers going back on loan to Falkirk. Another one to tick off the list.

I really don't understand that one, while I accept he'll likely be more comfortable settling back into that environment you'd think the best keeper in the League last season would want to go to the biggest team in the League and vice versa, you'd imagine the biggest club in the Division would want the best keeper, all a bit strange.

mcfly
08-07-2016, 03:32 PM
Great to see so many season ticket holders.

Just need a couple of good signings hopefully ASAP

Greencore
08-07-2016, 03:36 PM
I really don't understand that one, while I accept he'll likely be more comfortable settling back into that environment you'd think the best keeper in the League last season would want to go to the biggest team in the League and vice versa, you'd imagine the biggest club in the Division would want the best keeper, all a bit strange.

Maybe they are offering him more money then us?

SJM
08-07-2016, 03:42 PM
Maybe they are offering him more money then us?

They would be paying Aberdeen surely? Maybe Aberdeen see him progressing better there as he's probably going to be a busier 'keeper at Falkirk?

Billy Whizz
08-07-2016, 03:48 PM
They would be paying Aberdeen surely? Maybe Aberdeen see him progressing better there as he's probably going to be a busier 'keeper at Falkirk?

Or we can't guarantee Aberdeen that he'll be 1st pick every week

AlbertK86
08-07-2016, 04:00 PM

Did we even make any concrete move to get him ?

Brightside
08-07-2016, 04:00 PM

Hibs made no attempt to sign him.

AlbertK86
08-07-2016, 04:05 PM

Yep I was sure you posted that previously - hence my post

Cheers my man

The Captain....
08-07-2016, 04:29 PM

Any mileage in the Zaluska rumours.. or is it just people linking him with us due to the managers past association.

Would be good to know we have at least identified and are persuing who we see as our no1 keeper - Lennon didn't sound too optimistic about getting anyone in soon in his post match interview with Sky last night.

SJM
08-07-2016, 04:31 PM
Or we can't guarantee Aberdeen that he'll be 1st pick every week

Yet west brom would lend us their keeper in the same situation? Weird one like.

tamig
08-07-2016, 04:35 PM
Lennon on Sky Sports interview after game last night saying there are "no permanent signings on the horizon just yet".

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/scottish-football/10495509/hibs-look-for-new-goalkeeper

Would have preferred to have had our no1 keeper signed and settled in by now tbh but if it means we're looking at better quality I appreciate it may take more time.

Looks like more patience required and a few more Cummings debates!:greengrin

Is the Cummings/Sow swap deal back on?

hibbypostie
08-07-2016, 04:37 PM

so how do you get that experience by playing like it or not we are a championship club for the moment but we need to get real about who we will sign we need to find a few young players that will be around a while cant mind his name but a few eyebrows were raised when Real Madrid put a 17 or 18 yo in goals best way to get experience play games

Billy Whizz
08-07-2016, 05:04 PM
Yet west brom would lend us their keeper in the same situation? Weird one like.

You really think he's coming to Hibs to be no 1, more like a player for the development team

SJM
08-07-2016, 05:10 PM
You really think he's coming to Hibs to be no 1, more like a player for the development team

Why would he want to leave west broms development side to come to ours and why would they let him when it's a loan deal Lennon has confirmed?

Big L
08-07-2016, 05:24 PM

Just testing you, well done Ha Ha!!

Big L
08-07-2016, 05:25 PM

Just testing you, well done Ha Ha!! He signed for Hibs from Armadale with Johnny McLeod.

hibbypostie
08-07-2016, 05:31 PM
Just testing you, well done Ha Ha!! He signed for Hibs from Armadale with Johnny McLeod.

had the pleasure of working with Johnny Mcleod a few years back he was a waiter in the royal overseas league on princes st great guy quiet but always talking footy shows just how over paid todays players are

Billy Whizz
08-07-2016, 06:10 PM
Why would he want to leave west broms development side to come to ours and why would they let him when it's a loan deal Lennon has confirmed?

Myself and a few others would be concerned, if a 19 year old was going to be our goalie for the new season, are you not?

SJM
08-07-2016, 06:14 PM
Myself and a few others would be concerned, if a 19 year old was going to be our goalie for the new season, are you not?

Of course I would be, which is why I find the whole situation bizarre. Verro in goals next week to begin with. He looked shaky as anything when he came on in Inverness never mind Brondby.

hibbypostie
08-07-2016, 06:20 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iker_Casillas

I'm not saying this guy will be as good as just as we aint Real
and he is probably just back so lets not get ahead of ourselves

Big L
08-07-2016, 08:42 PM
Is the Cummings/Sow swap deal back on?

Sow has played 13 games for the Chinese team and scored once, so naw, nae deal!

WoreTheGreen
08-07-2016, 08:48 PM
He is crap he couldnot kick himself of a dyke

WoreTheGreen
08-07-2016, 08:51 PM
He is crap he couldnot kick himself of a dyke

Oops thought his name was snow

Iggy Pope
08-07-2016, 09:04 PM

I'm missing something. I read it was a trial. Lennon says he's come from West Brom, not that he's on loan. A trial wouldn't be a loan deal and would explain why the player might fancy a move to Hibs. Maybe he doesn't have a club?

PatHead
08-07-2016, 09:13 PM
That is done,could not believe he was not already in there............bloody shameful !

Please ,all Hibs fans. this man was an immense footballer and a hugely nice guy,get nominating !

Done

Pretty Boy
08-07-2016, 09:21 PM
I'm not all that worried about how old or how experienced a keeper is tbh.

If either Virtanen, Laidlaw or Palmer are an improvement on Logan and Oxley then they can do their school homework on the team bus for all I care. The whole old keepers are better is a bit of myth now anyway. Look at the top keepers in the world at the moment and the majority are in their early to mid 20s and have been playing 1st team football since their late teens. The same goes for the EPL were a lot of good goalkeepers are youngers guys either playing regularly or pushing for their chance.

Mantis Toboggan
08-07-2016, 09:25 PM
Oops thought his name was snow

He knows nothing

ian cruise
09-07-2016, 01:45 AM

Aside from the fact it seems we were never in for him, maybe he enjoyed his time there last season so much that it's the only loan move he'd consider. Maybe he feels like he has unfinished business in this league with Falkirk. We're all hoping that is the case with Liam after all.

SJM
09-07-2016, 08:58 AM
I'm missing something. I read it was a trial. Lennon says he's come from West Brom, not that he's on loan. A trial wouldn't be a loan deal and would explain why the player might fancy a move to Hibs. Maybe he doesn't have a club?

He's on trial to come in on loan. Lennon has said himself. That's why it's bizarre.

eastmainsmsh
09-07-2016, 09:10 AM
Any mileage in the Zaluska rumours.. or is it just people linking him with us due to the managers past association.

Would be good to know we have at least identified and are persuing who we see as our no1 keeper - Lennon didn't sound too optimistic about getting anyone in soon in his post match interview with Sky last night.

I'm sure he is playing in the bundesliga

Platinum Scotty
09-07-2016, 09:41 AM
I'm sure he is playing in the bundesliga

He is out of contract - joined that German team as 3rd choice keeper until 30th June 2016 seemingly

Pretty Boy
09-07-2016, 09:44 AM
He is out of contract - joined that German team as 3rd choice keeper until 30th June 2016 seemingly

3rd choice is about his level.

I'd be disappointed if Zaluszka was deemed the answer to our goalkeeping problems. I'd rather have a youngster with potebtial who may make a few mistakes due to inexperience rather than an experienced keeper who will make a few mistakes just because he's not very good.

BSEJVT
09-07-2016, 09:55 AM
Interesting part of the interview with Grant Stott and Leeann Dempster in so far as transfers are concerned.

The impression I got was that there wouldn't be the same number of players recruited as there were last year as there wasn't seen the need, but that we would be recruiting and we weren't afraid of paying fees for the right player.

She re-iterated that this wouldn't have been possible either in the past or going forward without HSL or direct share purchase by fans.

Can anyone tell me the ratio of HSL v direct fan purchases since this initiative launched.

Like many I will continue my HSL subscription even after the year is up and long term beyond when all the shares are secured, but the individual share purchases will by definition drop off at that point and I would be interested to know how much of the income that has been raised will drop off in time.

This will of course be offset by more folk signing up to HSL, but the bean counter in me is interested.

Since90+2
09-07-2016, 01:23 PM
Oxley will be away by early next week at the latest.

ancient hibee
09-07-2016, 01:43 PM
Oxley will be away by early next week at the latest.

Or late next week at the earliest?

Ozyhibby
09-07-2016, 02:18 PM
Interesting part of the interview with Grant Stott and Leeann Dempster in so far as transfers are concerned.

The impression I got was that there wouldn't be the same number of players recruited as there were last year as there wasn't seen the need, but that we would be recruiting and we weren't afraid of paying fees for the right player.

She re-iterated that this wouldn't have been possible either in the past or going forward without HSL or direct share purchase by fans.

Can anyone tell me the ratio of HSL v direct fan purchases since this initiative launched.

Like many I will continue my HSL subscription even after the year is up and long term beyond when all the shares are secured, but the individual share purchases will by definition drop off at that point and I would be interested to know how much of the income that has been raised will drop off in time.

This will of course be offset by more folk signing up to HSL, but the bean counter in me is interested.

I seem to remember HSL give about £25-30k per month to the club. It probably covers the cost of two of our top earners.

Since90+2
09-07-2016, 02:19 PM
Or late next week at the earliest?

He has already agreed terms with his new club and has told the other players so will just be a case of when it's announced.

Scottie
11-07-2016, 06:13 AM
Peter Pawlett may be allowed to join Hibs on loan from Aberdeen according to the Sun.

Great wee player but would give Tom Daly a run for his money. :greengrin

theonlywayisup
11-07-2016, 06:19 AM
Peter Pawlett may be allowed to join Hibs on loan from Aberdeen according to the Sun.

I'm sure that Peter "my players never dive" Houston would have plenty to say about that.

eastmainsmsh
11-07-2016, 06:38 AM

For campness or Diving 😂

Finn2015
11-07-2016, 07:00 AM

I'd love that to happen, hope it comes true

Marco G
11-07-2016, 07:09 AM
He's on trial to come in on loan. Lennon has said himself. That's why it's bizarre.
Not a direct comparison, but Fraser Foster was 21 or 22 when Lennon signed him on loan, and he turned out not too bad! Dont think its that unusual for a proposed loan player to get a game and for both parties to have a look at whats on offer?

There are a lot of good young goalies looking for games. Its the older ones who dont now have a team that we should be wary about maybe!

Nutmegged
11-07-2016, 05:36 PM

That is exactly what I don't understand, it was a no brainer.

brog
11-07-2016, 05:49 PM
That is exactly what I don't understand, it was a no brainer.

No stranger than Aberdeen not wanting him, especially given the keepers they had in 2nd half of last season.

cabbageandribs1875
11-07-2016, 10:12 PM
Hibs got £65,000 for him. Back in 1961 that was a fortune, around £14 million in todays rates.

considerably less than that.... = £1,351,825.93p ....or did you miss a point between the 1 and 4 :)

southsider
11-07-2016, 11:36 PM
considerably less than that.... = £1,351,825.93p ....or did you miss a point between the 1 and 4 :)

My mother bought out first flat in 1961 for £700 now for sale for £150,000. 220 times the 1961 price. £65,000 x 220-. Maybe a wrong way to compare. How did u get ur figure ? Similarly in 1961 I think entrance to ER was 2bob (10p). Thursday's game is £22 again 220 times the 1961 rate.

Big L
12-07-2016, 10:58 AM
My mother bought out first flat in 1961 for £700 now for sale for £150,000. 220 times the 1961 price. £65,000 x 220-. Maybe a wrong way to compare. How did u get ur figure ? Similarly in 1961 I think entrance to ER was 2bob (10p). Thursday's game is £22 again 220 times the 1961 rate.
That's 55 yrs ago Cabbage, how did you turn £65K in to £ 1.3 Mill plus?

GreenNWhiteArmy
12-07-2016, 11:06 AM
I see Ziggy Gordon has signed for Partick - he was rated highly by Hamilton and was apparently leaving to "move on to a bigger club to further his career" i wouldn't have put Partick Thistle as a step up. Think he could have done a job for us to challenge wee Lewis

Callum_62
12-07-2016, 11:14 AM
I see Ziggy Gordon has signed for Partick - he was rated highly by Hamilton and was apparently leaving to "move on to a bigger club to further his career" i wouldn't have put Partick Thistle as a step up. Think he could have done a job for us to challenge wee Lewis

hes a right back

scoopyboy
12-07-2016, 11:19 AM

Apart from the fact he's a right back I think Lewis can expect a challenge from Callum Crane soon.

Mr White
12-07-2016, 11:22 AM
They've got 3 permanent stands in their stadium compared to Hamilton's 2 so in that respect at least it's a step up :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
12-07-2016, 11:25 AM

That's 55 yrs ago Cabbage, how did you turn £65K in to £ 1.3 Mill plus?

i just put the figure in here
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1633409/Historic-inflation-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html

:dunno: it's certainly a lot less than the 14 million i quoted :)

Geo_1875
12-07-2016, 11:31 AM
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1633409/Historic-inflation-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html

No real comparison as football has changed so much over the years. Given the money sloshing around nowadays a £65k transfer fee in 1961 would work out at a £90k bid from The Rangers.

GreenNWhiteArmy
12-07-2016, 11:36 AM
Apart from the fact he's a right back I think Lewis can expect a challenge from Callum Crane soon.

ah my bad - genuinely thought he was left footed. Must admit I've been really impressed with what I've seen from Crane in pre-season. Hopefully he can make the step up

SJM
12-07-2016, 11:37 AM
Oxley having a medical with Southend today. :thumbsup:

GreenNWhiteArmy
12-07-2016, 11:37 AM
They've got 3 permanent stands in their stadium compared to Hamilton's 2 so in that respect at least it's a step up :greengrin

:top marks:top marks:top marks belter

southsider
12-07-2016, 11:38 AM
The EPL are buying non-descript players for £10 million +. If the 1961 Joe came around bids would start at £25 million. Already a full England cap and having scored at least 30 goals in each of his 4 years at ER. Scored a hat-trick against Danny Blanchflower in only his 3rd ever 1st team game.

hibs0666
12-07-2016, 11:46 AM

That's way understated. Here is some football inflation data going back to 1993.

https://sports.vice.com/en_uk/article/football-inflation-and-the-transfer-window

Cumulative inflation between 1961 and 1993 is around 1000%, and that would take your £65K to £730K. Then football inflation goes nuts.

Between 1993 and 2015 your £730K would then increase 11-fold to £8.2 million. Sounds more like it to be honest.

Lago
12-07-2016, 11:59 AM
Are we getting a fee for him?

staunchhibby
12-07-2016, 12:36 PM
Do not think we are getting a feefor him.All the best ox and hope you get peace now.Possibly no boo boys there.

Logie
12-07-2016, 04:33 PM
What's happening with Cummings? Surely if he did sign would have been announced at earliest opportunity especially leading upto Thursday's game? Makes me think it's not happening tbh.

hibs0666
12-07-2016, 04:36 PM
What's happening with Cummings? Surely if he did sign would have been announced at earliest opportunity especially leading upto Thursday's game? Makes me think it's not happening tbh.

No news is good news.

SJM
12-07-2016, 05:03 PM

Passed it then :greengrin: no fee, he was told he was free to join another club and wouldn't stand in his way.

mjhibby
13-07-2016, 06:14 AM
Passed it then :greengrin: no fee, he was told he was free to join another club and wouldn't stand in his way.

Good luck mark. Leaves a Scottish cup winner. Wonder who will be the new boo boys target.

Steve20
13-07-2016, 06:21 AM
Good luck mark. Leaves a Scottish cup winner. Wonder who will be the new boo boys target.

Do we really have boo boys?

Kato
13-07-2016, 07:04 AM

Booooo

staunchhibby
13-07-2016, 07:31 AM
Either we have or somebody has a good radio.To give us that impression

jacomo
13-07-2016, 03:51 PM

Have you ever been to Easter Road?

Steve20
13-07-2016, 03:54 PM
Have you ever been to Easter Road?

Every home game. There's this myth from some people that our fans are somehow worse than others when it comes to getting on players backs. It's just not true.

Famous Fiver
13-07-2016, 04:04 PM
Looking forward to finding out what effect the Scottish Cup win has had on Mr 'Unbelievable' who sits behind me in the East.

Del Boy
13-07-2016, 04:09 PM
Dundee Utd sign Cammy Smith on loan from Aberdeen. Decent signing but for a forward he doesn't score many goals.

jgl07
13-07-2016, 04:14 PM

No. It's just a malicious rumour put about by Hibs players who have been booed.

HappyHanlon
13-07-2016, 05:16 PM
Starter for 10 about booboys

Season 15/16 - Oxley + Malonga
Season 14/15 - Craig
Season 13/14 - Pick anyone out of the relegation squad (with maybe the exception of Stanton and Cummings)

neil7908
13-07-2016, 05:36 PM
Every home game. There's this myth from some people that our fans are somehow worse than others when it comes to getting on players backs. It's just not true.

I agree with this actually. The only times I can remember more than one or two folk booing the team is half time at the Falkirk semi when we were 0-3 down and at full time in the SC final against Hearts. Frankly I think it was pretty reasonable in the circumstances. Yes you'll get one or two idiots giving players grief sometimes in games but I promise that's the same with every team. As you say we're no better or worse than any other club in Scottish football. If you want to see real boo boys try going to the Bernabau, now that is something else!

PeterboroHibee
13-07-2016, 05:58 PM
Dundee Utd sign Cammy Smith on loan from Aberdeen. Decent signing but for a forward he doesn't score many goals.

I may be proven wrong, but I still think their squad looks really average. As it stands I dont see them posing much threat for automatic promotion.

Del Boy
13-07-2016, 06:25 PM
I may be proven wrong, but I still think their squad looks really average. As it stands I dont see them posing much threat for automatic promotion.

Don't really disagree. I think their signings - Bell, Toshney and Smith - are decent if unspectacular.

The boy Murray up front finished the season well but beyond that I don't see much quality in their squad. Apparently signing Willo Flood too, who again would be a decent championship player but nothing to worry about IMO

Big L
13-07-2016, 06:29 PM
I like the boy Murray, very direct and certainly knows where the goals are. Wish we had him!

Jonnyboy
13-07-2016, 06:30 PM
I like the boy Murray, very direct and certainly knows where the goals are. Wish we had him!

Maybe his Dad, who played for Hibs, could have a word? :greengrin

PeterboroHibee
13-07-2016, 06:43 PM

He works hard and is quick, but ability wise he is nowhere near any of our strikers imo.

J-C
13-07-2016, 06:45 PM
Must admit I don't hear booing but you get the usual moaning faced gets but that's about it.

Diclonius
13-07-2016, 07:05 PM
There's also the guy in the North end of the West that regularly goes "RE-FAH-REE, YOU'RE COMPLETELY USELESS" at least once every game.

Squealing pig
13-07-2016, 07:49 PM
Rumours?

WoreTheGreen
13-07-2016, 07:58 PM

His dad was a saw doctor true but he was not the sharpist tool in the box

I'm_cabbaged
13-07-2016, 07:58 PM
[QUOTE=Famous Fiver;4759033]Looking forward to finding out what effect the Scottish Cup win has had on Mr 'Unbelievable' who sits behind me in the East.[/

Guy with a golf cap?

Big L
13-07-2016, 08:51 PM
He works hard and is quick, but ability wise he is nowhere near any of our strikers imo.

It's a matter of opinion, I would swap him for any striker we have except JC.

West lower
13-07-2016, 09:00 PM
Rumours?

Easy. Fleetwood Mac.

erin go bragh
13-07-2016, 09:11 PM
There's also the guy in the North end of the West that regularly goes "RE-FAH-REE, YOU'RE COMPLETELY USELESS" at least once every game.

Tbh . I'd agree with him for most home games last season :)

Wee Effen Bee
13-07-2016, 09:12 PM
Easy. Fleetwood Mac.
What about Graham Parker's mates?:greengrin

Saturday Boy
13-07-2016, 09:34 PM
What about Graham Parker's mates?:greengrin

Don't ask me questions. :wink::wink:

Eyrie
13-07-2016, 10:04 PM
Easy. Fleetwood Mac.

Don't stop. We want some second hand news of signings for our dreams.

Big L
13-07-2016, 10:05 PM

Who was his dad? It couldn't be Willies son!

Keyser Sauzee
13-07-2016, 10:31 PM
It's a matter of opinion, I would swap him for any striker we have except JC.

True its all about opinions but I think you will be in the minority if u think he's better than Keatings & Holt

southsider
13-07-2016, 10:34 PM

Gary Murray. Think he signed from Montrose. Bit of a head-less chicken

Bostonhibby
13-07-2016, 10:35 PM
Gary Murray? Striker signed from Montrose.

Jonnyboy
13-07-2016, 10:37 PM

Gary Murray. Signed from Montrose

Edit: Oops, beaten to it twice :greengrin

Jones28
13-07-2016, 11:29 PM
Don't stop. We want some second hand news of signings for our dreams.

Stone Roses 👍

Big L
14-07-2016, 08:54 AM
True its all about opinions but I think you will be in the minority if u think he's better than Keatings & Holt

Sorry, but that wouldn't change mu opinion!

hibbypostie
14-07-2016, 09:03 AM
Easy. Fleetwood Mac.

nah easy was by the commadores
:wink:

Wheat Hound
14-07-2016, 09:10 AM
The Sun (yes I know!) States Palmer will sign on loan but we're still looking for another goalie. Seems strange to have 3 inexperienced goalies but still looking for another, unless Otso is being primed for a loan move or transfer?

Diclonius
14-07-2016, 09:13 AM
I'm curious as to whether Palmer will be first choice or if we're still looking for someone. Seems a little young/inexperienced to go straight into the first XI.

southsider
14-07-2016, 09:18 AM
I'm curious as to whether Palmer will be first choice or if we're still looking for someone. Seems a little young/inexperienced to go straight into the first XI.
He just seems too little. Need a big guy to command the box. Come and collect crosses etc.

Scotthibs1875
14-07-2016, 09:24 AM
He just seems too little. Need a big guy to command the box. Come and collect crosses etc.

He's 6ft. Just because he's not a giant doesn't mean he can't take a cross. Makalamby was hardly commanding was he.

southsider
14-07-2016, 10:11 AM
He's 6ft. Just because he's not a giant doesn't mean he can't take a cross. Makalamby was hardly commanding was he.
6ft ? Was he really. Looked smaller and seemed to want to punch away crosses. Anyway best of luck to him if he signs.

hibs0666
14-07-2016, 10:19 AM
The Sun (yes I know!) States Palmer will sign on loan but we're still looking for another goalie. Seems strange to have 3 inexperienced goalies but still looking for another, unless Otso is being primed for a loan move or transfer?

The Sun should get a bad rep for all sorts of reasons, but it is pretty much on the money regarding Hibs transfer activity.

Stevie Reid
14-07-2016, 10:20 AM

Same with Morten Hyldgaard - remember being excited when we signed a goalkeeper of such physical stature, yet played one game in the Festival Cup v Hearts and flapped at crosses the whole game. Was never seen again.

J-C
14-07-2016, 10:28 AM

Probably need 4, 2 per team.

Hero76
14-07-2016, 10:32 AM
We need to resolve the goalkeeping situation now I can believe we are going with untried and tested .

CapitalGreen
14-07-2016, 10:50 AM
What age/experience defines when a keeper is good enough?

Craig Gordon was 21 when he became a regular for Hearts having only played 15 senior games previously (13 for Cowdenbeath), full international by 22.
Thibaut Courtois signed for Chelsea aged 19 only having played 45 senior games for Genk and played in the Europa League final at 20.
Iker Casillas, Real Madrid at 18.
Gianluigi Buffon, Parma at 18.
Gianluigi Donnarumma, AC Milan at 16
David De Gea, Atletico Madrid at 19
Manuel Neuer, Schalke at 20
Peter Cech, Sparta Prague at 19

I'm not suggesting any of our keepers are close to the above standard before anyone goes off on one. I would be interested to get folks views on the age/experience question though.

snooky
14-07-2016, 10:53 AM

Craig Gordon was 21 when he became a regular for Hearts having only played 15 senior games previously (13 for Cowdenbeath), full international by 22.
Thibaut Courtois signed for Chelsea aged 19 only having played 45 senior games for Genk and played in the Europa League final at 20.

I'm not suggesting any of our keepers are close to the above standard before anyone goes off on one. I would be interested to get folks views on the age/experience question though.

"If you're good enough, you're old enough." - Matt Busby

End off.

scoopyboy
14-07-2016, 11:00 AM

Watched a program on BT sports after Celtic game.

It was all about old League Cup Finals from England.

When Notts Forest beat Liverpool they had 18 yo Chris Woods in goals. He kept a clean sheet at Wembley and at the Old Trafford replay.

GlesgaeHibby
14-07-2016, 11:08 AM

:agree: Danny Rogers at Falkirk was the best goalie in the Championship (by some way IMO) last year and is still only 22.

Smartie
14-07-2016, 11:59 AM
I quite like Falkirk's goalie policy.

They rarely seem to have one of their own but get a top young goalkeeper in on loan, in the past they've had Krul and Schmeichel.

Rodgers did very well for them last season. Not sure why he doesn't seem to be able to get a chance at Aberdeen.

I think we should pull out all the stops to get highly rated English club goalies in on loan. Get someone who has big things expected of them in a few years, maybe in their late teens who could benefit from having a season playing every week that they're not going to get elsewhere.

It didn't do Krul or Schmechel any harm at all.

theonlywayisup
14-07-2016, 12:05 PM

Some good stats! I've never been sure about the belief that you need an experienced goalkeeper - as others have said, if your good enough your old enough.

Contrast our last three cup winning goalies - a thirty nine John Burridge, a twenty year old Andy McNeil and a thirty year old Conrad Logan - at time of their greatest achievement

CapitalGreen
14-07-2016, 12:09 PM

They rarely seem to have one of their own but get a top young goalkeeper in on loan, in the past they've had Krul and Schmeichel.

Rodgers did very well for them last season. Not sure why he doesn't seem to be able to get a chance at Aberdeen.

I think we should pull out all the stops to get highly rated English club goalies in on loan. Get someone who has big things expected of them in a few years, maybe in their late teens who could benefit from having a season playing every week that they're not going to get elsewhere.

Agreed, they would have been dismissed by many as too young or inexperienced.

Tim Krul was 19 and had made no senior appearances.
Kasper Schmeichel was 20 and had made only 43 senior appearances.

We won the League Cup in 2007 with a keeper who had just turned 20.
We got relegated in 2014 with a 31 year old with over 250 senior appearances.

Ozyhibby
14-07-2016, 12:36 PM
Age is not important if you are good enough. That cuts both ways though, it can't be trotted out as an excuse more than a couple of times. First team football is a steep learning curve and any young goalie better be up for learning quickly.

Gordy M
14-07-2016, 12:43 PM
Age is not important if you are good enough. That cuts both ways though, it can't be trotted out as an excuse more than a couple of times. First team football is a steep learning curve and any young goalie better be up for learning quickly.

Well if thats the case then David de Gea shouldve been dumped by man utd about halfway through his first season?? Of course age/experience can be a factor as long as you can see that the keeper has talent. Silly mistakes happen to all keepers but your post seems to suggest that a couple of mistakes and its open season to critisize??

West lower
14-07-2016, 12:55 PM

Is that not what we are doing with Palmer ?

J-C
14-07-2016, 01:27 PM
Fraser Forster was 22 when he went to Celtic.
Joe Hart was 21 when he had that brilliant season on loan at Birmingham.
Jack Butland is only 23 and has racked up 152 1st team games.
Ben Foster was 22 when he went on loan to Watford for 2 seasons and played 73 times in 2 seasons there.

bingo70
14-07-2016, 01:28 PM
The problem with goalies being young isn't the number of years they've been alive, it's the attributes and confidence most only develop as they get a bit older.

Young keepers will be more than capable of making the same saves and catching the same crosses as their older counterparts, where i think they struggle is the ability to bully the box, whether that being the opposing strikers or their own experienced older defenders, it takes a lot of balls for a young keeper just starting out to take control of the box and making sure they're listened to. Some can do it some can't, I'd hate for us to rule out a young keeper because of their age but it's why I think managers tend to lean towards the older keepers.

BT58
14-07-2016, 01:37 PM
Aberdeen sign a winger from Bristol city ( loan ) . Wonder if Pawlett heading our way, has pace but a bit slippery when wet...oooh matron

HibsNutter
14-07-2016, 01:40 PM
Tbh our last goalie was inexperienced, it doesn't come with age. He'd hardly played many first team games in his career.

seanoheimhin
14-07-2016, 03:46 PM
Really disappointed so far with the lack of ambition and imagination Lennon is showing with his attempted signings.

I really hope I'm made to eat my words, but we're not being linked with anyone exciting never mind looking like getting a deal done. So frustrating given the feel-good factor that has been around the club the last couple of months.

Geo_1875
14-07-2016, 03:50 PM
Really disappointed so far with the lack of ambition and imagination Lennon is showing with his attempted signings.

I really hope I'm made to eat my words, but we're not being linked with anyone exciting never mind looking like getting a deal done. So frustrating given the feel-good factor that has been around the club the last couple of months.

Anybody in particular you think we should be linked with?

I'm happy for Hibs to announce signings when they are finalised rather than discussing why we didn't get/go after everybody that's available.

CapitalGreen
14-07-2016, 03:58 PM

Personally think the squad is strong enough to win this division. Maybe another striker in for depth in that area. Our failings in the league last season were tactical not personnel.

Smartie
14-07-2016, 04:17 PM
Getting a big target man was the number one priority and he did that immediately.

It was a really important signing which might revitalise several other fringe players - Boyle, Carmichael and Harris will all have more worth with a big man to hit with crosses.

Getting Hanlon, Cummings and Forster signed up again is a huge boost - Hanlon and Cummings would have taken a bit of replacing on our budget and in our league.

It's always fun bringing players in, we like the excitement and we always crave change. But I'm 100% happy with Lennon, his business done so far and his general approach.

Craig_in_Prague
14-07-2016, 04:17 PM

He re-signed Hanlon and Cummings - and stated they could well be his most important signings. Let alone Holt, who could have a superb partnership with Jason.

I don't think we need much, we have Boyle, Harris, Carmichael, Handling all going to get a chance - and under Lennon could be good players.

Moreover, there's a long way to go until window slam shuts. Lennon knows some good players can become available later.

4 year deal for Cummings, IMO, is a tremendous signing - I don't know what more fans want for a feel good factor than that!

Smartie
14-07-2016, 04:20 PM
Is that not what we are doing with Palmer ?

Possibly. If we are, I'm fine with it.

All that matters is that he's good enough.

GreenNWhiteArmy
14-07-2016, 04:28 PM
Getting a big target man was the number one priority and he did that immediately.

It was a really important signing which might revitalise several other fringe players - Boyle, Carmichael and Harris will all have more worth with a big man to hit with crosses.

Getting Hanlon, Cummings and Forster signed up again is a huge boost - Hanlon and Cummings would have taken a bit of replacing on our budget and in our league.

It's always fun bringing players in, we like the excitement and we always crave change. But I'm 100% happy with Lennon, his business done so far and his general approach.

:agree:

couldn't agree more. If anything I'm actually surprised how easily it seems to have been to get the out of contract players tied down on long term contracts. Next thing for me would be to offer Super John Mcginn an extension and a wage rise.

We may end up signing another few players but i don't see any hurry - as you've said, we've got our number 1 priority in (a target man) which will open up play to the other players that are returning from injury/loans.

We can walk this league with the squad we have and i'd like the lad Insall to get a chance this season before stepping up to the premiership

Andy74
14-07-2016, 04:36 PM
:agree:

couldn't agree more. If anything I'm actually surprised how easily it seems to have been to get the out of contract players tied down on long term contracts. Next thing for me would be to offer Super John Mcginn an extension and a wage rise.

We may end up signing another few players but i don't see any hurry - as you've said, we've got our number 1 priority in (a target man) which will open up play to the other players that are returning from injury/loans.

We can walk this league with the squad we have and i'd like the lad Insall to get a chance this season before stepping up to the premiership

We finished third last time with a better squad so let's not pretend it doesn't need improving.

I'd expect to see 3 or 4 good additions before the league gets going.

Hibby Kay-Yay
14-07-2016, 04:45 PM
We finished third last time with a better squad so let's not pretend it doesn't need improving.

Playing a different style with the same players could yield different results. Already we've seen Lennon using the wings more which has created more opportunities. Perhaps just a couple of additions and a new way of playing will be all that's required?

Craig_in_Prague
14-07-2016, 05:01 PM

Rangers were in the league; and we finished on same points as Falkirk ..... and we all know fine margins cost us 2nd (as well as soft minded performances in March - won't happen under Lennon)
Let's not pretend 3rd was some miserable failure.

Holt will prove to be worth a lot to the team and Jason himself, who we know just signed a 4 year deal, he's clearly going to knuckle down and give his all for the team.

We won the SC, shown over the last 2 years we could match Rangers (in fact a 7-6 head to head in Hibs favour), beat loads of SPL teams as well -
We will romp the league this season (+10 pts at least)

Yes we can state we finished 3rd, but it's such a negative response - fact or not!

GreenNWhiteArmy
14-07-2016, 05:11 PM

We had a plan A last season and when that didny work against the teams that camped in their 18 yard box we didn't know what to do. Balls in to the box didny work for Cummings/Keatings and stokes but wi Holt we've got that target man now

I am in no way concerned with the squad as it is. Maybe 1 striker and possibly a winger for me

14-07-2016, 05:15 PM
We've been very quiet on the new signing front but delighted we've managed to wrap up new deals for Cummings and Hanlon and as someone already mentioned, there isn't a great deal we need to add. Not like 2 seasons ago when we were basically building a whole new team.

The signings will come. Lennon has good contacts so hopefully he can pull some strings and bring in a couple exciting new additions. Keep calm, I have faith in Lennon, Leann and her team behind the scenes. They know what their doing.

Hero76
14-07-2016, 09:12 PM
We need to resolve the goalkeeping situation now I can believe we are going with untried and tested .

This

Zazu62
14-07-2016, 09:21 PM
Michael McGovern no got a club yet ?

bingo70
14-07-2016, 09:23 PM
Can any new signings play next week or was the transfer deadline for both legs?

Logie
14-07-2016, 09:27 PM
Michael McGovern no got a club yet ?

That would be class!

pacoluna
14-07-2016, 09:28 PM
Liam Henderson was in the stand today

Vault Boy
14-07-2016, 09:29 PM
That would be class!

Absolutely no chance. Last January - maybe, now, his stock has skyrocketed. Wouldn't be surprised to see him in the BPL or English Championship, Southampton & Burnley were interested fairly recently.

HibeeMassive
14-07-2016, 09:33 PM
Can new signings play next week?

I know there is a cut off but wasn't sure if there was one for each match or if you need to have the same squad for both matches?

Michael
14-07-2016, 09:36 PM
Liam Henderson was in the stand today

:hyper :pray: Lenny pls!

Heisenberg
14-07-2016, 09:38 PM
Rudi Skacel apparently signing for Raith. Can't wait to see Bartley take care of that situation in our first meeting with them :greengrin

IWasThere2016
14-07-2016, 09:39 PM

This - we're weaker and need quality players.

neil7908
14-07-2016, 09:51 PM
This - we're weaker and need quality players.

Still think we need 4 players at least. Goalkeeper, left back, winger and a striker. Probably need some competition for Gray at right back as well

GreenOnions
14-07-2016, 11:09 PM
Still think we need 4 players at least. Goalkeeper, left back, winger and a striker. Probably need some competition for Gray at right back as well

I think this is bang on. You can see some of the things Lennon is trying to do. The existing squad doesn't match exactly the things he'd like to do though and tonight there were a few examples of square pegs in round holes eg McGeouch out on the left, Keatings on the right of a front three when he came on etc. He'd probably love to see Harris, Boyle or Carmichael stand out from the crowd in a wide role but none of them has really set the heather on fire ........ yet.

A goalkeeper is probably top priority followed by someone who can play wide and run at/past defenders with a bit of pace, another striker and then a left back. Interesting though that he tried Hanlon in centre midfield. Bartley was probably our poorest performer tonight but it could also be an indication that he wants a bit more physical presence in midfield all the time and not just on the odd occasion.

Diclonius
14-07-2016, 11:23 PM
Rudi Skacel apparently signing for Raith. Can't wait to see Bartley take care of that situation in our first meeting with them :greengrin

He can **** off.

I never want to see his face at ER again.

snooky
14-07-2016, 11:50 PM

Maybe we'll going back to the good old days when we shop in the bargain basement 10mins before closing time.
This trick has been pulled before. Cheat me once, fool you. Cheat me twice, fool me.

The_Horde
15-07-2016, 12:03 AM
Maybe we'll going back to the good old days when we shop in the bargain basement 10mins before closing time.
This trick has been pulled before. Cheat me once, fool you. Cheat me twice, fool me.

Good troll m8.

Ozyhibby
15-07-2016, 12:08 AM
I keep reading on here that we have enough centre mids but first game of the season and we have to play Paul Hanlon there? We have to strengthen.

The Captain....
15-07-2016, 12:44 AM
We need to get signings in soon imo..we have the bones of a good side but we lack the 2 or 3 important ingredients to really guarantee promotion imo. As it stands we are weaker than last season.

Im really disappointed we haven't brought in an experienced keeper before now. Exposing a young(ish) keeper with confidence issues in a big European match was absolute folly and has cost us a cheap goal. As I said this position should have been dealt with.

I like the look of Holt, he runs himself into the ground, is a real handful and seems to be excited by the prospect of the season ahead. Lets be realistic tho, he;s going to need a rest from time to time and we need cover. A striker with strength and pace is sorely needed.

Creativity, we lacked it at times tonight, a tricky position to fill but desperately needed to augment the effort and teamwork elsewhere in this side.

Its not about quantity for once with us close season, but we really need better quality in a few key positions.

seanoheimhin
15-07-2016, 12:52 PM
Anybody in particular you think we should be linked with?

I'm happy for Hibs to announce signings when they are finalised rather than discussing why we didn't get/go after everybody that's available.

Just compared to the likes of McGinn, Allan, Henderson, Stokes, McGeoch, this window we've been linked with Heskey (38!) and missing out on someone like Scott McDonald (32) and supposed to be buzzed about 35 year old Grant Holt.

Holt could yet turn out to be a good signing for a year, but it's hardly thinking outside the box is it?

Understand where you're coming from about just announcing signings, but they aren't exactly rolling in.

MWHIBBIES
15-07-2016, 12:55 PM
We need to get signings in soon imo..we have the bones of a good side but we lack the 2 or 3 important ingredients to really guarantee promotion imo. As it stands we are weaker than last season.

Im really disappointed we haven't brought in an experienced keeper before now. Exposing a young(ish) keeper with confidence issues in a big European match was absolute folly and has cost us a cheap goal. As I said this position should have been dealt with.

I like the look of Holt, he runs himself into the ground, is a real handful and seems to be excited by the prospect of the season ahead. Lets be realistic tho, he;s going to need a rest from time to time and we need cover. A striker with strength and pace is sorely needed.

Creativity, we lacked it at times tonight, a tricky position to fill but desperately needed to augment the effort and teamwork elsewhere in this side.

Its not about quantity for once with us close season, but we really need better quality in a few key positions.No player Hibs can afford will guarantee promotion so you really shouldn't be expecting that.

berwickhibee
15-07-2016, 12:58 PM
Just compared to the likes of McGinn, Allan, Henderson, Stokes, McGeoch, this window we've been linked with Heskey (38!) and missing out on someone like Scott McDonald (32) and supposed to be buzzed about 35 year old Grant Holt.

Holt could yet turn out to be a good signing for a year, but it's hardly thinking outside the box is it?

Understand where you're coming from about just announcing signings, but they aren't exactly rolling in.

patience sir:greengrin lennon said very early on that we will be ready when the league starts, that's what is important.

I for 1 trust him and also think we will be pleasantly surprised with who we get, lennon is a shrewd operator and the 3 or 4 still to come in,will come in, but they must be right, and if that means playing the long game a wee bit,fine by me. we have a strong nucleus but need the same strength on the bench. lennon will get it right:flag:

Smartie
15-07-2016, 01:06 PM
Last night was the first time I've seen us this season and my opinion on what we need has only changed slightly.

The GK position needs sorted. If we had budget for 3-4 players I'd pretty much blow it all on a top keeper if one became available. They can save (and cost) you points like no other player.

It is such an important position and that goal was a disgrace. I know Otso's only young and all that but you will never get anywhere if you chuck goals in only seconds into a cup tie. I do think we need to be tough and ruthless - it just wasn't good enough. Oxley was a decent keeper, not spectacular but you generally trust him. We've had so much worse. So that is currently priority 1,2 and 3 for me.

After that I'd still like a left-sided winger.

We won't face as good a side as Brondby this season unless we draw Celtic in the cup. Even then, I didn't think they were that great. What we have should be more than enough to achieve what we need to.

Hanlon did well when he went into midfield, as would Stevenson if we played him there. Carmichael can play centrally as well.

I think we've got more than enough quality AND depth to see us fine.

Geo_1875
15-07-2016, 01:06 PM

We're 2 weeks into a 9 week transfer period. We've just played our first competitive game of the season. I think there will be signings before the window closes and probably before our first league game. Who that might be, I've not got a clue because I don't know who the manager thinks we need cover for or who is available in our price range. Personally, if we got Henderson back from Celtc, Gunnarsson back from Valerenga and an experienced goalkeeper I'd be more than happy.

007 Mickey Weir
15-07-2016, 01:19 PM
[QUOTE=seanoheimhin;4761713]Just compared to the likes of McGinn, Allan, Henderson, Stokes, McGeoch, this window we've been linked with Heskey (38!) and missing out on someone like Scott McDonald (32) and supposed to be buzzed about 35 year old Grant Holt.

Yes but the last two seasons we didn't have these players signed or ready to play until well into August. This season we have held onto big players like Hanlon, Cummings and McGinn. Also have the squad fit and ready.

As said before. We need to get keeper in ASAP. Add in Henderson and another and we are looking good.

Stevie Reid
15-07-2016, 01:34 PM
Last night only filled me with encouragement, can't see why anyone would be concerned by the depth of squad - especially given we are almost guaranteed to sign at least three more players, IMO.

For mid July we were full of energy for most of the game, and played with real intensity and were quick and incisive in the final third. Play like that in the Championship and few will match us.

southsider
15-07-2016, 01:40 PM
Oh for Hendo back last night. Free kick in last minute, Fontaine takes it and blasts it out for a bye. Praying for a decent ball into the box. Keatings ? McGinn ? Anyone but a centre-half.

Hermit Crab
15-07-2016, 01:43 PM
Interestingly I see aberdeen signed a boy the day before the game or on the day of the game and he played last night. Does that mean if Hendo signed he could play in the second leg?

CapitalGreen
15-07-2016, 01:47 PM

Signing a player (Holt) who does not fit the mould of our previous signings is surely the definition of an "outside the box" signing. Signing another young Scottish player like those listed would be very much thinking inside the box!

The Captain....
15-07-2016, 01:52 PM
No player Hibs can afford will guarantee promotion so you really shouldn't be expecting that.

Wasn't what I said and I dont

bingo70
15-07-2016, 01:54 PM
Interestingly I see aberdeen signed a boy the day before the game or on the day of the game and he played last night. Does that mean if Hendo signed he could play in the second leg?

I've asked that a couple of times and not seen an answer yet.

Anyone know if we can add any additional players to the squad before next week?

Hermit Crab
15-07-2016, 01:57 PM
I've asked that a couple of times and not seen an answer yet.

Anyone know if we can add any additional players to the squad before next week?

I found this on kickback so don't take as gospel. This was in response to the same question we have asked, Hearts fan asked the same thing and this is the reply.

In the qualifying rounds, clubs are allowed to register one extra player after the deadline, providing it is done before midnight on the day of the match.

Skyegreen
15-07-2016, 02:38 PM
I've heard we're in talks with Henderson. Not sure how true or false this is bit fingers crossed. Love the guy 💚😜

neil7908
15-07-2016, 02:48 PM
I've heard we're in talks with Henderson. Not sure how true or false this is bit fingers crossed. Love the guy 💚😜

This is going to be controversial but signing Hendo wouldn't be my top priority. We desperately need a quality goalkeeper, followed by a winger and I'd also like to see us sign a striker and a left back that is decent going forward. If we can do all that and get Hendo then brilliant but we've loads of options in central midfield and gaps in other areas that I'd like to see us deal with 1st

Borderhibbie76
15-07-2016, 02:55 PM
😴😴😴

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

CapitalGreen
15-07-2016, 03:16 PM
This is going to be controversial but signing Hendo wouldn't be my top priority. We desperately need a quality goalkeeper, followed by a winger and I'd also like to see us sign a striker and a left back that is decent going forward. If we can do all that and get Hendo then brilliant but we've loads of options in central midfield and gaps in other areas that I'd like to see us deal with 1st

I'm not 100% sure but I think the club is allowed to work on different transfer targets simultaneously.

Heisenberg
15-07-2016, 04:26 PM
http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/07/15/hibs-close-on-aberdeens-peter-pawlett/

Pawlett loan deal close...

edwards
15-07-2016, 04:41 PM
http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/07/15/hibs-close-on-aberdeens-peter-pawlett/

Pawlett loan deal close...

That would be a very good signing and might mean someone else being shown the door, possibly Carmichael

Ronniekirk
15-07-2016, 05:06 PM
That would be a very good signing and might mean someone else being shown the door, possibly Carmichael

Has hardly featured for us and hasn't had a lot of game time under Lennon so thats a possibility and its hard to see Harris Stanton and Handling all being kept if they haven't forced their way into first team by first few games of season

bingo70
15-07-2016, 05:36 PM
Has hardly featured for us and hasn't had a lot of game time under Lennon so thats a possibility and its hard to see Harris Stanton and Handling all being kept if they haven't forced their way into first team by first few games of season

I hoped Harris was going to come back to us like the old pre-injury Harris but I felt the early signs weren't promising last night. I know he didn't have long but these are the opportunities he needs to grasp and I think he had a couple of decent opportunities last night that he made a but of an arse of.

The_Horde
15-07-2016, 05:37 PM

I'd be willing to bet either Stanton or Harris before Carmichael.

number9dream
15-07-2016, 05:41 PM
Pawlett had a good 13-14 season but has toiled over the last couple of campaigns since he went all Walcott and insisted he wanted to play a central role.
If he's happy to be used as a winger then it could be a decent bit of business but he's no better than what we have in central positions.

CallumHibs07
15-07-2016, 05:45 PM
I hoped Harris was going to come back to us like the old pre-injury Harris but I felt the early signs weren't promising last night. I know he didn't have long but these are the opportunities he needs to grasp and I think he had a couple of decent opportunities last night that he made a but of an arse of.

He's too predictable, cutting in every time. Needs the confidence to go on his left too.

Dunbar Hibee
15-07-2016, 05:46 PM
I'd be willing to bet either Stanton or Harris before Carmichael.

I'd disagree.

Green Fish
15-07-2016, 05:47 PM
100% agree, I hope he proves me wrong but I think he will have a limited amount of games to impress, otherwise I think he'll leave in some capacity.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk