PDA

View Full Version : Mark Oxley Leaving?

hfc rd
02-07-2016, 06:49 PM
Offski to Southend Utd. According to this:

http://www.hibernian-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/hibs_keeper_mark_oxley_set_to_sign_for_southend_88 9792/index.shtml

blackpoolhibs
02-07-2016, 06:51 PM
The Southend manager who's name escapes me was Hull manager a few years ago, Phil Brown.

I wonder if he knows him from then?

Blaster
02-07-2016, 06:52 PM
How much is the fee?

greenlex
02-07-2016, 06:54 PM
Hopefully making way for Yer Man Michael.

Finn2015
02-07-2016, 06:55 PM
Guess that makes the goalie signing suddenly all important.

Ergye
02-07-2016, 06:57 PM
Probably the best time waster to ever play in goals for Hibs.

His greatest contribution for us was his yellow card against Inverness, opening the door for King Conrad to slay all before him.

All the best mate.

Fantastic bloody hair.

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-07-2016, 07:16 PM
Not expecting disparaging comments comparing us to Southend if he decides to leave. A fresh start may do the boy the world of good.

Diclonius
02-07-2016, 07:38 PM
I'm fine with this.

Pretty Boy
02-07-2016, 07:43 PM
If he goes then best of luck to him. He played his part in the Scottish Cup the same as all the rest of the squad and dealt with being dropped very professionally.

hfc rd
02-07-2016, 07:45 PM
Signing a GK is a huge must now! Only have young Otso Virtanen as our registered keeper atm.

Dibben
02-07-2016, 07:53 PM
Signing a GK is a huge must now! Only have young Otso Virtanen as our registered keeper atm.

I would have thought (hope) that if we are letting him go then we have someone lined up!

hfc rd
02-07-2016, 07:55 PM
I would have thought (hope) that if we are letting him go then we have someone lined up!

Michael McGovern ☺️

Hibby_G
02-07-2016, 07:57 PM
Good luck Mark:thumbsup:

Big L
02-07-2016, 08:00 PM
I wish we could get McGovern but it looks like Wigan and Bristol City are In for him.

SouthMoroccoStu
02-07-2016, 08:25 PM
Get in Rodgers from Aberdeen (on loan at Falkirk last year) and I'll be happy

Will always remember the Ox for his goal vs livi and his part in the historic cup run

Onceinawhile
02-07-2016, 08:42 PM
Certainly won't very any tears from me, but goes with my best wishes. Scottish cup winning legend. 👍

Skyegreen
02-07-2016, 08:56 PM
One of Stubbs's errors in my book signing him in the first place. Always a weak link and everyone knew it!

To beat Hearts and Rangers to the title, you can't afford to have a goalie as a weak link!

staunchhibby
02-07-2016, 09:12 PM
Think its wrong to just blame the keeper.We could not beat other teams at times,

Jdawg
02-07-2016, 09:14 PM
It was breaking teams down that was our downfall over the season, nothing else.

hfc rd
02-07-2016, 09:15 PM

This.

Hi Heid Yin
02-07-2016, 09:16 PM
If Mark Oxley leaves us he goes with my best wishes.
The guy has always been honest and very professional - a proper gentleman if you like. He always gave of his best and pulled off some great saves as well as delivered the odd howler - par for the course during his time in goals.
Our defence were very much to blame for a lot of the goals conceded- though his harshest critics often overlooked this and preferred to blame Oxley solely.
I wish him well.

staunchhibby
02-07-2016, 09:18 PM
Totaly agree with that.

Itsnoteasy
02-07-2016, 09:51 PM
Glad to see the back of him. Let's not forget it was his time wasting that led to Hertz equalising at ER in time added on. Oh and that was a 40 yarder and the goalie was only 2 yards of his line. Stubbs was to loyal to him along with others.

Jdawg
02-07-2016, 09:56 PM
Logan seems to escape any criticism though. The goal that trickled through him in the 1st playoff leg against Falkirk.

Oxley is a decent keeper.

If only we managed to break teams down then the off mistake wouldn't really be mentioned.

Our goals for was the reason for not going up, it's that simple.

jacomo
02-07-2016, 09:58 PM
Not expecting disparaging comments comparing us to Southend if he decides to leave. A fresh start may do the boy the world of good.

:agree:

Good luck if he goes. Still young and has potential.

Edson Arantes
02-07-2016, 09:59 PM
Oh no.

marinello59
02-07-2016, 10:00 PM
I hope he stays. He is still young, especially in 'keepe terms. I'd like us to get the benefit as he improves.

Danderhall Hibs
02-07-2016, 10:02 PM
I hope he stays. He is still young, especially in 'keepe terms. I'd like us to get the benefit as he improves.

Are you forgetting he drinks coffee and has a beard?

SON OF PADDY
02-07-2016, 10:06 PM
If he goes then best of luck to him. He played his part in the Scottish Cup the same as all the rest of the squad and dealt with being dropped very professionally.

Wasn't his biggest fan , but I wish him all the best and thank him for his contribution to the team.

hibbysam
02-07-2016, 10:31 PM
Glad to see the back of him. Let's not forget it was his time wasting that led to Hertz equalising at ER in time added on. Oh and that was a 40 yarder and the goalie was only 2 yards of his line. Stubbs was to loyal to him along with others.

In a game that ended up having no bearing on our season, if that is the only stick to beat him with then fair enough. The boy fluked one from 35 yards, end of story. Ox played a big part in us winning the Scottish Cup, 2 x clean sheets, Solid in the highlands, and then very dignified when dropped for the final few games of the season including the final after keeping a clean sheet at Morton.

bigwheel
02-07-2016, 10:40 PM
So. I'm not an Oxley fan..so relaxed that he could be on his way...

That said, as I've thought about him tonight he does have some plusses. His distribution must be as good as any keeper we have had..and in the modern day being comfortable with ball to feet is a big positive for a keeper . Like many have said he doesn't have a big blooper history. A number but not too many considering number of games.

That said. Equally he didn't have many games were he stood out and overall didn't make enough saves for me. Has plenty about him though , and you can only expect him to improve. So good luck if he moves on. Respect !

CRAZYHIBBY
02-07-2016, 10:44 PM
He was a good keeper for hibs ...end of

Heisenberg
02-07-2016, 10:44 PM
I honestly don't think there's much between Logan and Oxley in terms of ability. Logan is leaving a hero and rightly so but he had some very poor moments as well let's not forget. They both contributed to us winning the Scottish Cup for the first time in 114 years so both leave with best wishes (provided Oxley does actually leave)

Forza Fred
02-07-2016, 10:49 PM
Logan seems to escape any criticism though. The goal that trickled through him in the 1st playoff leg against Falkirk.

Oxley is a decent keeper.

If only we managed to break teams down then the off mistake wouldn't really be mentioned.

Our goals for was the reason for not going up, it's that simple.

:top marks

marinello59
02-07-2016, 10:52 PM
Are you forgetting he drinks coffee and has a beard?

:greengrin

fulshie
02-07-2016, 10:52 PM
If Oxley is going then I can only assume Lennon has his eyes on a replacement!

heretoday
02-07-2016, 11:15 PM
We've been blessed with some top class goalies over the years and some absolute stinkers too.

Oxley is somewhere in the middle.

JimBHibees
02-07-2016, 11:27 PM
Probably the best time waster to ever play in goals for Hibs.

His greatest contribution for us was his yellow card against Inverness, opening the door for King Conrad to slay all before him.

All the best mate.

Fantastic bloody hair.

Ridiculous comment. Decent goalie with superb distribution.

JimBHibees
02-07-2016, 11:29 PM

Oh dear

Stokesy's on fire
02-07-2016, 11:49 PM
Oxley joined the club when it was on its knees and he actually did pretty well. I'm a bit disappointed to see him leave he's more than good enough to play in the championship. Good luck mark oxley.

Itsnoteasy
02-07-2016, 11:53 PM
Oh dear

Never seen a goalie/outfielder waste as much time. But hat off to him for getting booked @ ICT for time wasting. Or 21 05 2016 might never have happened.

ShinyFantastic
03-07-2016, 12:21 AM
Please be true.

Vault Boy
03-07-2016, 12:49 AM
An absolutely decent keeper and thorough professional. Wish him all the best.

vla_di_vla
03-07-2016, 12:59 AM
An absolutely decent keeper and thorough professional. Wish him all the best.
Let's not pretend. He's not very good

GreenNWhiteArmy
03-07-2016, 01:45 AM
Didn't we have, at some point last season the best defensive stats in Britain? Or was it the year before? Either way Oxley was as much a part of that as he was for some of the howlers he let in. Believe it or not, even the best keepers in the world do that. As well as scoring a load of goals, Jase missed a few sitters and was anonymous in a lot of games last season but we still expect £1M for him.

Happy to place a £20 wager to the Dnipro fund that in 2 years time, He'll be playing at a higher level of football than the Scottish Championship? All the best to the guy from me.

FitbaFolkKen
03-07-2016, 02:54 AM
I like Oxley. His distribution is excellent. I think what holds him back is he doesn't seem to make "wonder" saves, he's pretty consistent.

We've had some bad keepers over the years but Mark is not one of them.

Scouse Hibee
03-07-2016, 04:43 AM
Not much to choose between him and Logan to be honest.Wish him all the best.

Viva_Palmeiras
03-07-2016, 06:03 AM
I love the smell of yam roasties in the morning... ;)

Vault Boy
03-07-2016, 06:25 AM
Let's not pretend. He's not very good

Who said he was? No need for negativity on such an inoffensive subject.

Ronniekirk
03-07-2016, 06:58 AM
Logan has gone and as he ended the Season our No 1 choice despite that blunder late on at home to Falkirk Stubbs had clearly lost Faith in the Ox and his self confidence must have taken a knock
Lennon therefor has a decision to make if he hasn't done so already
He needs another keeper so does he kook to bring in cover or a new No 1 with Ox as cover If its the latter if i was Ox i would be looking to leave if he can get first team status elsewhere
But if Lennon is brining a new No 1 in this needs to happen sooner than later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thegreenside
03-07-2016, 07:23 AM
As much a part of winning the Scottish as the starting 11 that day! Legend

Man Down Under
03-07-2016, 07:52 AM
He was a good keeper, had a few mistakes here and there but so does every keeper at this level.
He was vital in the Scottish Cup win, Conrad just came at the right time as he seemed to have a slump in form towards the tail end of the season.

Always seemed a nice guy and hope he goes on to do well...his goal against livi was pretty sweet too!

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Tapatalk

RoYO!
03-07-2016, 08:02 AM
Fantastic bloody hair.

I know right?!!?

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-07-2016, 08:16 AM
Southend manager saying he is signing a keeper he has worked with before and current not playing in England. Would be surprised if this one does not go through.

SJM
03-07-2016, 08:31 AM
Good luck Oxley.

Agnes Gordon
03-07-2016, 08:33 AM
Seems a decent bloke however opposition's low chances to goals ratio last season must call our keeper into question.
Any time they got a shot of I expected them to score and they usually did.

Allant1981
03-07-2016, 08:38 AM
Not really got the time to check every goal we conceded last year but ill bet oxley wasnt at fault for the majority of them, our defence wasnt the greatest last year, in saying that oxley isnt the best either but good enough for the level we are at, think its best for him to leave now though due to the amount of supporters getting on his back

biotech
03-07-2016, 08:40 AM
Bring back big Logan.

stantonhibby
03-07-2016, 08:42 AM
Seems a decent bloke however opposition's low chances to goals ratio last season must call our keeper into question.

Pish

MWHIBBIES
03-07-2016, 09:08 AM
Such an awful and irrelevant stat.

eastcoasthibby
03-07-2016, 09:20 AM
I like Oxley. His distribution is excellent. I think what holds him back is he doesn't seem to make "wonder" saves, he's pretty consistent.

We've had some bad keepers over the years but Mark is not one of them.
cross balls and in particular commanding his area and especially the 6,yard box ...it was chaos most of the time when a ball came into there ...be interesting to see how/if he develops back down south! Have to say I never had much confidence in him but wish him all the best ..

Itsnoteasy
03-07-2016, 09:21 AM

Correct.
We had a 1-8 ratio.
Opposition had a 1-3 ratio for shots on target.
How many keepers were beat from 40 yards when only 2 yards off their line in the last 2 seasons.

inglisavhibs
03-07-2016, 09:24 AM
Oxley joined the club when it was on its knees and he actually did pretty well. I'm a bit disappointed to see him leave he's more than good enough to play in the championship. Good luck mark oxley.

Me too, like all goalies he made errors but overall he had a presence in goal and did well for Hibs. I hope we can get better if he leaves.

Hibspirational
03-07-2016, 09:31 AM
He's the highest goal scoring keeper we've had recently!

blackpoolhibs
03-07-2016, 09:34 AM
I was never his biggest fan, and Stubbs saw fit to replace him with Logan who despite having a great game in the semi is hardly the fittest keeper in the world.

He goes with my best wishes as doe Logan, we can bring in better, there is better at what we can afford in my opinion.

NadeAteMyLunch!
03-07-2016, 09:35 AM

Simply not true. There were 4 minutes added on and they scored after 92 mins. We didn't win that day because again we didn't take our chances, we couldn't see out a game against 10 men and nobody bothered to close the hearts boy down before he shot. None of that Oxley's fault.

All the best to him. No Scottish cup winning player will ever be criticised by me certainly.

Itsnoteasy
03-07-2016, 09:51 AM
Simply not true. There were 4 minutes added on and they scored after 92 mins. We didn't win that day because again we didn't take our chances, we couldn't see out a game against 10 men and nobody bothered to close the hearts boy down before he shot. None of that Oxley's fault.

All the best to him. No Scottish cup winning player will ever be criticised by me certainly.

4 mins added on. 3 would have been for time wasting. The shot went right down the middle, right over him. Not in the top corner. In years to come when we are aw deed the history books will show the winning team line up & Oxley name will be nowhere to be seen.

stantonhibby
03-07-2016, 09:54 AM
4 mins added on. 3 would have been for time wasting. The shot went right down the middle, right over him. Not in the top corner. In years to come when we are aw deed the history books will show the winning team line up & Oxley name will be nowhere to be seen.

Give it a rest

NadeAteMyLunch!
03-07-2016, 09:59 AM

No danger would there have only been one minute added on at the end of a derby. All six subs were made so that's a minimum of 3 minutes added for subs alone. There was also Patterson's sending off and the resulting treatment for Malonga. I'm surprised there wasn't more than 4 minutes added. None of them were for time wasting though.

Fair enough, I'll remember all the guys that contributed to our cup run though. Guys like Thomson and Bartley that played their part against Hearts and ICT. Not just the 14 that got on the pitch in the final.

JimBHibees
03-07-2016, 10:00 AM
Correct.
We had a 1-8 ratio.
Opposition had a 1-3 ratio for shots on target.
How many keepers were beat from 40 yards when only 2 yards off their line in the last 2 seasons.

No way could he have saved that freak shot which dipped over him, unsaveable.

Itsnoteasy
03-07-2016, 10:01 AM
No danger would there have only been one minute added on at the end of a derby. All six subs were made so that's a minimum of 3 minutes added for subs alone. There was also Patterson's sending off and the resulting treatment for Malonga. I'm surprised there wasn't more than 4 minutes added. None of them were for time wasting though.

Fair enough, I'll remember all the guys that contributed to our cup run though. Guys like Thomson and Bartley that played their part against Hearts and ICT. Not just the 14 that got on the pitch in the final.

Don't forget King Dom

NadeAteMyLunch!
03-07-2016, 10:02 AM
Don't forget King Dom

I'll never forget King Dom ❤️

cabbageandribs1875
03-07-2016, 10:03 AM
good luck to they guy wherever he ends up, certainly not the worst keeper we've had over the last decade

NadeAteMyLunch!
03-07-2016, 10:04 AM
No way could he have saved that freak shot which dipped over him, unsaveable.

Exactly. It's actually sometimes more difficult for a keeper to save a shot that's right down their throat rather than in a corner. The dip on it was absolutely ridiculous as well. Was going about 5 yards over at one point. Fair enough if folk aren't Oxley fans but blaming him for that goal is silly.

Eyrie
03-07-2016, 11:44 AM

Six inches lower and he'd have tipped it over, six inches higher and it would have hit the bar. But don't let reality interfere with your rush to condemn Oxley.

He was a decent keeper for us at this level, as was Logan. Both leave with my best wishes.

1875STEVE
03-07-2016, 11:54 AM
http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/14595168.Blues_close_to_signing_Oxley/

eastterrace
03-07-2016, 12:04 PM
No way could he have saved that freak shot which dipped over him, unsaveable. pish attempt to save it straight down his throat

Glory Lurker
03-07-2016, 12:09 PM
All the best, Ox.

The_Horde
03-07-2016, 12:10 PM
All the best, Ox.

Agreed. One of our cup winning heroes. Leaves as a legend!

exeterhibby
03-07-2016, 01:02 PM
Never a fan of his but wish the big man all the best at his new club down South.

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-07-2016, 01:21 PM
The boy is all but away. Can't we leave it at that ffs. Some of the comments on here today are like a boxer who has knocked out his opponent trying to bring him around again for the chance of another dunt. If you wanted him out then you have got your wish one way or another. Let's move on.

Hibernia&Alba
03-07-2016, 01:24 PM
I hope it goes well for him. I never had great confidence in him, but wish him all the best in his new challenge.

Spudster
03-07-2016, 01:33 PM
One of Stubbs's errors in my book signing him in the first place. Always a weak link and everyone knew it!

To beat Hearts and Rangers to the title, you can't afford to have a goalie as a weak link!
Rangers won the title with a weak goalie IMO

Greencore
03-07-2016, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the goal ox, good luck.

Winston Ingram
03-07-2016, 01:52 PM

This

Capt Mainwaring
03-07-2016, 02:13 PM

Poor post mate- the Scottish cup was won by every Hibs player that played and won through the rounds - Oxley deserved his medal and his name in our historic Cup win. If leaves he goes with my thanks and best wishes

Did he eat your Hamster or something?

marinello59
03-07-2016, 02:16 PM

One of the most pathetic comments I have seen on here in a long time. Fortunately it says more about you than it does about our keeper.

Iggy Pope
03-07-2016, 02:29 PM
Agreed. One of our cup winning heroes. Leaves as a legend!

We really need to sign a goalie, as by my reckoning, we now only have one legendary cup winning legend of a goalie legend left on our legendary ledger. And that one has only played a legendary 20mins (a very nervy 20mins at that, I was there, legend that I am). before we rushed into getting the next legend here.

Goalie required. ASAP.

Ergye
03-07-2016, 02:36 PM

http://i.imgur.com/Pl4FEVY.jpg

His Scottish Cup winners medal will be somewhere to be seen. Pride of place above the fireplace, take that look from off YOUR face, you ain't never gonna burn that out Gorgie boy.

SJM
03-07-2016, 02:37 PM
It makes you excited we are getting a new keeper none the less.

hfc rd
03-07-2016, 02:45 PM

What a pile of utter drivel! Oxley played in the Raith rovers match, Hearts home and away, Inverness home and also for a bit in the replay up north. HE CERTAINLY PLAYED HIS PART IN THE SCOTTISH CUP RUN LAST SEASON.

Ergye
03-07-2016, 03:11 PM
I know right?!!?

I bet his apartment smells of a rich mahogany, and he has many leather bound books.

People know him. He's quite a big deal. :greengrin

.Sean.
03-07-2016, 04:01 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Pl4FEVY.jpg

His Scottish Cup winners medal will be somewhere to be seen. Pride of place above the fireplace, take that look from off YOUR face, you ain't never gonna burn that out Gorgie boy.Anyine else read that in Noel Gallagher's voice :greengrin

hfc rd
03-07-2016, 04:09 PM
Deal very close now.

http://www.hibernian-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/southend_boss_confirms_oxley_deal_close_889829/index.shtml

Greencore
03-07-2016, 04:10 PM
Deal very close now.

http://www.hibernian-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/southend_boss_confirms_oxley_deal_close_889829/index.shtml
I wonder what the fee could be... ££££

hfc rd
03-07-2016, 04:12 PM

Won't be suprised if we just decided to pay off the remaining 12 months of his contract.

Aldo
03-07-2016, 04:14 PM
I wonder what the fee could be... ££££ I read it as he had paid a fee for him when he was a 16 year old!! Not sure if we will get anything??

we are hibs
03-07-2016, 04:59 PM
Thank god. Awful goalkeeper and won't be missed. Cost us many a game.

MWHIBBIES
03-07-2016, 05:00 PM
Thank god. Awful goalkeeper and won't be missed. Cost us many a game.Did he? Got a list?

Itsnoteasy
03-07-2016, 05:04 PM
Did he? Got a list?

That we be a whole new thread.

Itsnoteasy
03-07-2016, 05:04 PM

FOC
I'll drive him doon.

Itsnoteasy
03-07-2016, 05:11 PM
What a pile of utter drivel! Oxley played in the Raith rovers match, Hearts home and away, Inverness home and also for a bit in the replay up north. HE CERTAINLY PLAYED HIS PART IN THE SCOTTISH CUP RUN LAST SEASON.

Virtanen, Boyle ,Dagnell, Bartley, Malonga, Carmichael & El Alagui. They all played their part in the Scottish Cup.

BSEJVT
03-07-2016, 05:18 PM
FOC
I'll drive him doon.

There aren't half a lot of classless folk who pop up every now and then on Hibs Net

Whatever the guys shortcomings were and whether they were perceived or actual, he deserves a lot more respect that many on here have shown.

Next up, in news to no-one, whoever our new keeper is and however good he may or may not be, I can absolutely guarantee you that before long we will have some plum on here complaining because he tipped a penalty save round the post instead of catching it or some other nonsense.

The perfect goalie doesn't exist, I have watched Hibs for 40 odd years, we have had some very good goalies, but none were perfect.

Interestingly enough they are all remembered as being much better once they have left than they were when they were here!

FitbaFolkKen
03-07-2016, 05:19 PM
Some really harsh posts here,he didn't make that many mistakes.

Had we scored another 30 goals like the teams that had won the league in the last two seasons then his position wouldn't even be in question.

He came across as a good guy who contributed to our cup success and deserves a bit of respect.

O'Rourke3
03-07-2016, 05:21 PM
There aren't half a lot of classless folk who pop up every now and then on Hibs Net

Whatever the guys shortcomings were and whether they were perceived or actual, he deserves a lot more respect that many on here have shown.

Next up, in news to no-one, whoever our new keeper is and however good he may or may not be, I can absolutely guarantee you that before long we will have some plum on here complaining because he tipped a penalty save round the post instead of catching it or some other nonsense.

The perfect goalie doesn't exist, I have watched Hibs for 40 odd years, we have had some very good goalies, but none were perfect.

Interestingly enough they are all remembered as being much better once they have left than they were when they were here!
Cough..... Zibi..... Agree with the post though.

Eyrie
03-07-2016, 05:41 PM
That we be a whole new thread.

And requires a very fertile imagination.

I'm sure if we sign Neuer during the week you'll complain that he's not de Gea, but if we sign de Gea you'll complain he's not Neuer.

Northernhibee
03-07-2016, 06:01 PM

Ever notice when people try to show their perceived football knowledge and yet only ever expose how little they know?

Babyshamble
03-07-2016, 06:07 PM
Logan released.Oxley seems to be on his way.surely we have another keeper lined up ?

Lago
03-07-2016, 06:14 PM
Logan released.Oxley seems to be on his way.surely we have another keeper lined up ?
Well I hope so.:confused:

HoboHarry
03-07-2016, 06:21 PM
Craig Thomson told NL that we are allowed to play running goalies.......

CapitalGreen
03-07-2016, 06:22 PM

We do

bingo70
03-07-2016, 06:24 PM
We do

Assume you won't provide a name but do you know how soon it'll be announced? Tomorrow?

B.H.F.C
03-07-2016, 06:26 PM

Not a chance we'd agree to let him go if we didn't have a deal pretty much done for someone else.

BSEJVT
03-07-2016, 06:38 PM
Cough..... Zibi..... Agree with the post though.

There is always an exception to every rule :greengrin

Marco G
03-07-2016, 08:53 PM
Logan was not released. He was only on a contract til end of season and never sounded like he planned to stay. Oxley must have been gutted to be dropped and miss the cup final, but I thought he showed class by not moaning and getting on with it. So not surprised if he thought it was best to move on. FWIW I think he will go on to have a good career at a good level. We will need a very good GK coming in to please all the experts on this site though (and quite right too)!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

stantonhibby
03-07-2016, 09:09 PM
FOC
I'll drive him doon.

Erse

Marco G
03-07-2016, 09:31 PM
Virtanen, Boyle ,Dagnell, Bartley, Malonga, Carmichael & El Alagui. They all played their part in the Scottish Cup.
Are they all goalkeepers? Cause that is what this thread is about. Virtanen, OK. I respect Mark Oxley for doing a good job for us and if he goes I wish him well.

Jdawg
03-07-2016, 09:55 PM
Some of the boys on here must have been professional keepers or footballers.

That was a freak shot, he boomed it, it went in, deal with it.

Grown men on here acting like 5 year olds.

Whoever is in goals, support him.

Jdawg
03-07-2016, 09:58 PM
Ever notice when people try to show their perceived football knowledge and yet only ever expose how little they know?

Correct. If only the poster knew how to use a comma. In his view, perhaps Oxley is to goalkeeping as he is to spelling, grammar and punctuation.

truehibernian
03-07-2016, 10:10 PM
Good luck to him, didn't let the club down - but I'm delighted we're looking to really strengthen this position as it's an area that is weak. Including development level - keepers at that level have been awful at that age group. It's a crucial area of the defence which Hibs have never got right.

Itsnoteasy
03-07-2016, 10:24 PM
Are they all goalkeepers? Cause that is what this thread is about. Virtanen, OK. I respect Mark Oxley for doing a good job for us and if he goes I wish him well.

No the point raised was that he contributed to 21 05 2016 & my reply was As did these squad players.

Itsnoteasy
03-07-2016, 10:26 PM

Andy Mcneil?

HoboHarry
03-07-2016, 10:37 PM
Andy Mcneil?
Andy McNeil has a winners medal and a great many footballers can't say that.....

Mikey09
03-07-2016, 11:35 PM
If Oxley leaves he goes with my best wishes. A good keeper and a top pro. An absolute myth that he was as bad as some made out. The Rangers keeper made just as many mistakes as Oxley however he had boys banging goals in at the other end to keep it from being an issue. If you're missing chances and a keeper makes a mistake to lose or draw a game guess who gets the blame? Lonely place being a keeper, especially one as young as Oxley. Stayed very professional when dropped.

Good luck if you go Mark. A legend who helped us win the Scottish cup... :not worth

Marco G
04-07-2016, 07:01 AM
If Oxley leaves he goes with my best wishes. A good keeper and a top pro. An absolute myth that he was as bad as some made out. The Rangers keeper made just as many mistakes as Oxley however he had boys banging goals in at the other end to keep it from being an issue. If you're missing chances and a keeper makes a mistake to lose or draw a game guess who gets the blame? Lonely place being a keeper, especially one as young as Oxley. Stayed very professional when dropped.

Good luck if you go Mark. A legend who helped us win the Scottish cup... :not worth
Hits the nail on the head.

easty
04-07-2016, 08:07 AM

Good post.

The guy made a few mistakes, nowhere near as many as some people would make you believe, but overall he was a decent keeper.

It got silly towards the end of the season with all the nonsense chat with folk slating him with stuff like "they only had 2 shots and they both went in". A keeper can either save a shot or he can't, it makes no difference how many shots they've had.

s.a.m
04-07-2016, 08:08 AM

:agree:

allezsauzee
04-07-2016, 08:38 AM
A lot of short memories on this board. Ox is the best shot stopper we've had in at least 10 years.

supermcginn
04-07-2016, 09:03 AM
Delighted he's gone I didnt rate him at all but good luck to him he seemed a decent guy.

SJM
04-07-2016, 09:03 AM
A lot of short memories on this board. Ox is the best shot stopper we've had in at least 10 years.

Simply untrue.

Smartie
04-07-2016, 09:30 AM

To be honest, Zibi is almost as good a shot-stopper as we've had. It was the rest of his game that was ropey.

Ox's distribution is the best I've seen from a Hibs goalkeeper.

The rest of his game was decent.

Ox is ok, and we've had so much rubbish over the years I'd have been happy enough to persist with him knowing how much keech there is out there.

The_Horde
04-07-2016, 09:32 AM

A lot of good drugs on this board. Shot Stopper :hilarious

J-C
04-07-2016, 09:36 AM
The extreme views of supporters on this thread, either he was excellent and will be missed or he was absolute gash and a good riddance.

Personally I thought he was a bang average keeper who was prone to lapses in concentration and cost us a few points in his 2 years here, good luck to him but we can do a lot better.

Leithenhibby
04-07-2016, 10:18 AM

:top marks

That's this thread put to bed. GGTTH

Northernhibee
04-07-2016, 10:20 AM
The extreme views of supporters on this thread, either he was excellent and will be missed or he was absolute gash and a good riddance.

Personally I thought he was a bang average keeper who was prone to lapses in concentration and cost us a few points in his 2 years here, good luck to him but we can do a lot better.
I don't think anyone is saying he's excellent. Just that the vitriol towards him is unfounded and bang out of order.

stoneyburn hibs

That's where I am. Average keeper and we should hopefully sign better. Good luck to Oxley, still a young age for a keeper so he can only improve.

andrew70

Spot on. Likeable big guy, a decent goalie and a Scottish Cup Winning one at that.

nellio
04-07-2016, 10:32 AM
Pretty average in my book. Never used to come for anything. Glad were getting rid of him, we can bring in better.

Jdawg
04-07-2016, 10:40 AM

Absolutely spot on, 100%.

Last season it was our inability to score goals and our goals for was terrible. Did hearts not score around 90 goals in this league? I also recall them getting a lot of early goals and games finished by half time.

Last season the Rangers were scoring 3-4 sometimes more in a lot of games.

Smartie
04-07-2016, 10:48 AM
Absolutely spot on, 100%.

Last season it was our inability to score goals and our goals for was terrible. Did hearts not score around 90 goals in this league? I also recall them getting a lot of early goals and games finished by half time.

Last season the Rangers were scoring 3-4 sometimes more in a lot of games.

This is a wee bit of a myth.

Whilst I do remember Hearts and Rangers pumping some teams, they also managed to hang onto a lot of narrow leads and win games/ save points with late goals.

I do agree with your main point though - we haven't done what we've needed to for years now because we've not scored enough goals. That's the first part of our team we need to focus on, the defensive unit (including goalkeeper) for me is the last. Although if an opportunity comes along to improve any part of the team you must take it.

BSEJVT
04-07-2016, 10:58 AM
Andy Mcneil?

Excellent

Having made a tit of yourself you now plan to wade through every keeper we have had over the last 40 years to disprove the point.

FWIW Given that we have had worse keepers than McNeil since he left, I would have to disagree with you and say he is better regarded in some quarters than he was when he was here.

Try supporting the players, or if that's completely beyond you, keep your trap shut rather than criticise one who played a significant part in our cup win and is most probably on his way out the door anyway.

staunchhibby
04-07-2016, 11:48 AM
Oxley does not deserve the vitriol shown towards him.He has been dignified throughout.Lesser people would have been up in arms to lose there place in a cup final winning team and sitting on the bench.All the best ox

Jdawg
04-07-2016, 11:51 AM
This is a wee bit of a myth.

Whilst I do remember Hearts and Rangers pumping some teams, they also managed to hang onto a lot of narrow leads and win games/ save points with late goals.

I do agree with your main point though - we haven't done what we've needed to for years now because we've not scored enough goals. That's the first part of our team we need to focus on, the defensive unit (including goalkeeper) for me is the last. Although if an opportunity comes along to improve any part of the team you must take it.

Hearts won 29 out of 36, 91 points, 96 scored and conceding 26. That's not luck. Yes they both struggled in some games but they saw games out or out scored the other team.

Games last 90 minutes, if you score late goals then you have to credit that team.

Those are fantastic stats, as much as it pains me to give them credit. Not far off 3 goals game and less than 1 goal a game conceded.

If we match those stats it's very simple, we will win the league and by around 15-20 points or more.

500miles
04-07-2016, 12:02 PM
Oxley was a bit hit and miss with crosses and went to sleep on occasion if he went too long with nothing to do - which was often the case against smaller teams.

However, he had his good games, he kicked well and was generally the goalkeeper and played a part in some very stout defensive performances. Also played the majority of the cup run that resulted in the fantastic day at Hampden.

He was okay.

HappyHanlon
04-07-2016, 12:10 PM
He had his flaws but he's part of our cup winning squad - so ram it.

Simkin911
04-07-2016, 12:25 PM
I hope the grass (for Hibs) is greener on the other side. Too often we've thought we can 'get better' but turned out no better off.

Good luck to Ox.

Heisenberg
04-07-2016, 12:28 PM
Lennon has confirmed Oxley still at Hibs despite interest from Southend....

blackpoolhibs
04-07-2016, 01:30 PM

:agree: :top marks

Stokesy's on fire
04-07-2016, 01:35 PM
Lennon has confirmed Oxley still at Hibs despite interest from Southend....

Good news

Stokesy's on fire
04-07-2016, 01:36 PM
Oxley does not deserve the vitriol shown towards him.He has been dignified throughout.Lesser people would have been up in arms to lose there place in a cup final winning team and sitting on the bench.All the best ox

This I was delighted when he ran onto the pitch after the pen shootout to celebrate with Logan and the lads.

staunchhibby
04-07-2016, 01:36 PM
I am pleased to hear that.:thumbsup:

jdships
04-07-2016, 08:24 PM
Problem with assessing goalkeepers as opposed to defenders et al is when a No1 makes it is 99.9% of the time fatal and gets " full coverage" from the media.
With an outfield player he has nine other players who might retrieve the situation for him !!
Oxley for me is or was ( depending) a good average keeper without being international class
I have seen worse over the last 76 years " between the sticks " at ER :greengrin

Northernhibee
04-07-2016, 08:39 PM
The soft goals didn't stop when Oxley was dropped. Tends to suggest that they weren't his fault.

Billy Whizz
04-07-2016, 08:46 PM
I'm presuming Oxley to Southend, won't be confirmed, until we have someone to replace him?

JimBHibees
04-07-2016, 09:19 PM
Problem with assessing goalkeepers as opposed to defenders et al is when a No1 makes it is 99.9% of the time fatal and gets " full coverage" from the media.
With an outfield player he has nine other players who might retrieve the situation for him !!
Oxley for me is or was ( depending) a good average keeper without being international class
I have seen worse over the last 76 years " between the sticks " at ER :greengrin

Totally agree. :top marks