PDA

View Full Version : Hawick v Hibs

Tamhere1875
01-07-2016, 12:39 PM
I wonder if there will be a few first team players on show tomorrow at Hawick?

scoopyboy
01-07-2016, 01:10 PM
I wonder if there will be a few first team players on show tomorrow at Hawick?

Don't think that is the plan.

Golden Bear
02-07-2016, 12:09 PM
Is this the official Matchday thread for today's big game?

Any team news? What's the weather like in Terie land? Are we playing with the oval shaped ball today? Are there any plans for a pitch invasion today?

Tom Hart RIP
02-07-2016, 12:14 PM
Just had a look at U20 team on website before heading off. I notice Eddie May is listed as coach and no mention of Joe Mcbride?? Anyone know if Joe is still at Hibs?

007 Mickey Weir
02-07-2016, 12:17 PM
Just had a look at U20 team on website before heading off. I notice Eddie May is listed as coach and no mention of Joe Mcbride?? Anyone know if Joe is still at Hibs?

I think he left at end of season. Grant Murray now taking Development team.

hibeeleicester
02-07-2016, 12:17 PM
Hopefully a good turn out!

Tom Hart RIP
02-07-2016, 12:24 PM
I think he left at end of season. Grant Murray now taking Development team.

Cheers thanks for that. I must have missed it.

hibeeleicester
02-07-2016, 12:26 PM
Insall will be starting.

hibeeleicester
02-07-2016, 12:51 PM
The Scottish cup is here 😍

southern hibby
02-07-2016, 01:07 PM
The Scottish cup is here 😍

So am I. However just came down in car and had to stop in Morrisons for a bit of bowl movement relaxation in anticipation of the big game and beat Baldy Foghorn to Morrisons one bog.

Needless to say I'm fine and his nose is still twitching like mad. Doesn't seem to please. However I'm ready to go.

And so begins another season of life's little ups and downs.

GGTTH

Brightside
02-07-2016, 01:13 PM
Hibernian XI team to face Hawick Royal Albert: Laidlaw, Dunsmore, Mackie, Stirling, Porteous, Waugh, Smith, S. Martin, Allan, Shaw, Insall

Brightside
02-07-2016, 01:21 PM
Hibernian FC ‏@HibsOfficial 6m6 minutes ago
Hibernian XI substitutes: P. Martin, Watson, Murray, Gullan, Donaldson, Paton
0 retweets 1 like

No Virtenan to be seen. So we can assume that he will play in the first team friendlies and Ox is away.

Diclonius
02-07-2016, 01:25 PM
Hope Insall impresses today.

Mibbes Aye
02-07-2016, 01:57 PM
Dry at the moment but rain on the way. Pitch in decent knick and a good few Hibbies here.

Mibbes Aye
02-07-2016, 02:01 PM
Nice well worked move by Hibs, Install played in and rounds the keeper but skies it over from an angle.

Mibbes Aye
02-07-2016, 02:08 PM
Insall cuts in from left and squares it to Shaw who gets a shot away but keeper saves comfortably low to his eight

Mibbes Aye
02-07-2016, 02:15 PM
Insall played through, beats the keeper but goes down from the challenge, no penalty.

Mibbes Aye
02-07-2016, 02:18 PM
Hibs goal. Cross from right, flicked on and an unmarked Shaw slots it home. We nearly score again as I'm writing this!

Brightside
02-07-2016, 02:19 PM
Really want Shaw to get some games this year. A talented boy.

Canon Hannan
02-07-2016, 02:24 PM
Really want Shaw to get some games this year. A talented boy.

Really like him as a player and professional. Nice family and lad too. Was at Hearts with my son. Hope he gets a chance.

Mibbes Aye
02-07-2016, 02:25 PM
Whipped in cross from right, Martin takes it on volley and tries to put it across the keeper but hits it wide of the post.

bingo70
02-07-2016, 02:27 PM
Is Lennon there?

Mibbes Aye
02-07-2016, 02:27 PM
Slack defending gifts them a free shot but keeper tips it past the post for a corner.

Mibbes Aye
02-07-2016, 02:29 PM
Hawick equalise.

Mibbes Aye
02-07-2016, 02:33 PM
Is Lennon there?

Doesn't look like it. Eddie May and Lee Makel.

Pretty Boy
02-07-2016, 02:39 PM
Lennon out.

Alfred E Newman
02-07-2016, 02:40 PM
Hawick equalise.

Not good enough. Sort it oot Lennon!!

Greencore
02-07-2016, 02:41 PM
Booooooo .. Lol

Mibbes Aye
02-07-2016, 02:43 PM
Hawick force a save and corner from a decent free kick, dead centre and about 25 yards out.

Mibbes Aye
02-07-2016, 02:51 PM
HT 1-1; Hibs not too composed after losing the goal, hopefully we regroup second half.

Mibbes Aye
02-07-2016, 03:05 PM
Shaw shoots high over the bar from outside the box

Mibbes Aye
02-07-2016, 03:07 PM
Dunsmore booked for a robust challenge by the touchline

Mibbes Aye
02-07-2016, 03:14 PM
Shaw unlucky with a chance shot in the box, Hibs corner but it comes to nothing

Mibbes Aye
02-07-2016, 03:19 PM
Insall put clean through, suspicion of offside but keeper takes it from his feet.

Pretty Boy
02-07-2016, 03:20 PM
Sounds like Insall is getting into a lot of good positions.

Mibbes Aye
02-07-2016, 03:22 PM
Good interplay between Insall and Watson finds Shaw unmarked at the backpost but he puts it over the bar from two yards out!

Mibbes Aye
02-07-2016, 03:23 PM
Hibs score, Shaw makes amends with a harder finish than a minute ago, Watson with the assist I think.

Mibbes Aye
02-07-2016, 03:24 PM
Sounds like Insall is getting into a lot of good positions.

His workrate is solid, lots of movement and not afraid to drop back.

Mibbes Aye
02-07-2016, 03:26 PM
Hawick head narrowly wide

Mibbes Aye
02-07-2016, 03:30 PM
Shaw again I think, from close range. 3-1 Hibs

Mibbes Aye
02-07-2016, 03:33 PM
Insall subbed

Mibbes Aye
02-07-2016, 03:38 PM
Hawick break, player unmarked in box but he shoots wide

Mibbes Aye
02-07-2016, 03:40 PM
Previous to that, one for the zonal defending thread, Hibs had a corner and HRA left four up and we man marked. Never seen such a deserted box at a corner!

Mibbes Aye
02-07-2016, 03:41 PM
Porteous hits the bar with a shot from a corner

Mibbes Aye
02-07-2016, 03:45 PM
FT 3-1

Will post who the standouts were later.

Brightside
02-07-2016, 03:47 PM
FT 3-1

Smith got the 2nd one.

silverhibee
02-07-2016, 03:58 PM
FT 3-1

Cheers for the updates. :thumbsup:

How was Insall. :aok:

Lancs Harp
02-07-2016, 04:02 PM
More importantly for any of our friends from Glasgow can you tell us about the pitch invasion and how many Hawick players got battered?

Lancs Harp
02-07-2016, 04:08 PM
More importantly for any of our friends from Glasgow friends can you tell us about the pitch invasion and how many Hawick players got battered?

One two many friends in my post above but it wont let me edit it for some reason. You get the giste.

Pretty Boy
02-07-2016, 04:10 PM
One two many friends in my post above but it wont let me edit it for some reason. You get the giste.

Sorted.

Tom Hart RIP
02-07-2016, 04:47 PM
Comfortable win. Install looked good early on but faded. Missed a good chance after rounding keeper but off balance and hit it over bar. Liked Oli Shaw who scored twice but missed a sitter. Worse than Jason's against Raith Rovers.
Scott Martin controlled midfield and was my Man of the Match. Also liked Sean Mackie at left back and Dunsmore at right back. Lewis Allan taken off after 30 mins.
Big Frank there as usual and he brought the cup with him. Enjoyable day our

Greencore
02-07-2016, 05:00 PM
Comfortable win. Install looked good early on but faded. Missed a good chance after rounding keeper but off balance and hit it over bar. Liked Oli Shaw who scored twice but missed a sitter. Worse than Jason's against Raith Rovers.
Scott Martin controlled midfield and was my Man of the Match. Also liked Sean Mackie at left back and Dunsmore at right back. Lewis Allan taken off after 30 mins.

How was the goalie for us?

brog
02-07-2016, 05:29 PM

Sean Mackie's the lad we signed from Raith? Knocked back Yams IIRC.

Mibbes Aye
02-07-2016, 05:38 PM
Smith got the 2nd one.

Cheers. We had moved from the stand to the touchline for the second half and I wasn't as well-sighted.

berwickhibee
02-07-2016, 06:12 PM
Sean Jackie going to Berwick I hear,along with Ben sterling.

berwickhibee
02-07-2016, 06:15 PM
Sean mackie:thumbsup:

DaveF
02-07-2016, 06:19 PM
Sean Mackie going to Berwick I hear, along with Ben Stirling.

On loan I hope!

Mibbes Aye
02-07-2016, 06:19 PM
Comfortable in the end but maybe not quite as clinical as, for example, the last time we played them a couple of years back. I think a couple of our guys today would have played in that match too.

Insall was lively, worked hard but will be rueing his chances I'm sure. For some reason I thought he would be taller but he certainly looks like he doesn't lack strength.

Dunsmore and Martin were both busy and Oli Shaw got himself in good positions again and again. His miss was a howler though :greengrin.

We came back into the game after halftime and we looked dangerous upfront with Shaw, Insall and Adam Watson on the right - Watson came on after half an hour for Lewis Allan. I liked the look of Watson, determined and tenacious. We tried to press them really high in the second half and he was part of that.

The player who I liked the look of most however was Ben Stirling. I wouldn't say he was massively involved but he really looked the part, albeit still young. He was playing in a pretty deep midfield role although he pushed up a bit as the game went on. He didn't do anything spectacular, didn't even have a barrowload of touches but he looked like he has really good game awareness - hopefully one to watch.

Re the keeper, he had a couple of saves to make, which he dealt with competently enough but he wasn't asked to do too much by Hawick.

Canon Hannan
02-07-2016, 06:21 PM
On loan to Berwick? Berwickhibee or transfer mate?

Mibbes Aye
02-07-2016, 06:22 PM
Sean Jackie going to Berwick I hear,along with Ben sterling.

Just read this after posting my thoughts on the players.

Hopefully this is one of those deals that allows Stirling and Mackie to show they are capable of first-team football, then come back and challenge for our squad.

Tom Hart RIP
02-07-2016, 06:22 PM
Keeper was Ross Laidlaw whom we got from Raith and is on trial. Big tall guy who looked Ok but not sure if he could have done better at the goal. Shot from edge of the box. I was unsighted behind a pillar in the stand. Came out and caught a few cross balls but didn't have a lot to do

berwickhibee
02-07-2016, 06:23 PM
On loan I hope!

Yes loans

Mibbes Aye
02-07-2016, 06:24 PM
Yes loans

:aok:

berwickhibee
02-07-2016, 06:27 PM

John coughlin seems to have connections at Hibs academy,mcgregor and crane were superb last season at Berwick. Hope mackie and sterling shine also,playing league football.

Cocaine&Caviar
02-07-2016, 06:29 PM
What kit did we wear?

Mibbes Aye
02-07-2016, 06:32 PM
John coughlin seems to have connections at Hibs academy,mcgregor and crane were superb last season at Berwick. Hope mackie and sterling shine also,playing league football.

Fingers crossed. I think we have previous before that too - did Lee Currie go there on loan and end up making a permanent move?

Might try and take in a game if they are going to be playing regularly.

Mibbes Aye
02-07-2016, 06:39 PM
What kit did we wear?

Looked like last season's, without the sponsor logo.

Jonnyboy
02-07-2016, 06:58 PM
I enjoyed that! Seeing Hibs playing again :greengrin

Best for me were both full backs, Dunsmore and Mackie together with Scott Martin who put in a great performance and must surely be in the first team plans for this season. Also really liked Adam Watson.

brog
02-07-2016, 07:42 PM
Thanks for all the reports/ratings/comments from those who were there. Much appreciated by us foreigners!!

Mibbes Aye
03-07-2016, 01:09 AM
Keeper was Ross Laidlaw whom we got from Raith and is on trial. Big tall guy who looked Ok but not sure if he could have done better at the goal. Shot from edge of the box. I was unsighted behind a pillar in the stand. Came out and caught a few cross balls but didn't have a lot to do

I was unsighted for the goal as well, though it was due to looking at my phone rather than the pillar :greengrin

Laidlaw wasn't asked to do much but I thought he was decent enough.

In the first half he had the good save from the free kick and before that he tipped a low shot to his left for a corner. I was in the stand for that and couldn't be certain if it was going in, but he certainly treated it like it was.

Second half, he had another full-stretch save, this time to his right. Looked confident enough to me and showed he can comfortably take the ball in the air and on the ground.

Fair to say he wasn't really tested though.

Slight worry is we got exposed a few times from balls to the backpost hitting our right side - if Dunsmore was having to cover in the centre it was leaving us open at the back post when they broke down our left and got a long cross in.

hfc rd
03-07-2016, 10:24 AM
Scott Martin looks like he had a very good game judging by a few comments on here. Possible replacement for Liam Henderson?

Brightside
03-07-2016, 11:02 AM
Scott Martin looks like he had a very good game judging by a few comments on here. Possible replacement for Liam Henderson?

don't worry about replacing Henderson. :wink:

Iggy Pope
03-07-2016, 11:51 AM
By the way. The big No 9 for Albert, hefty piece of work, maybe just back off his holidays, but looks like a good player at that level. Skillful, nice touches all around the box including the build up to his goal which he took well and had a pile driver of a free kick from well out.
He looked ****ed when he got taken off but I enjoyed watching the lad play I have to say and I hope he does well for them.
Another by the way. Who was it on here (maybe round about the time that someone broke the news about the fixture?) that suggested this HRA side were the EOS 'whipping boys' last term? Programme notes appear to indicate a tidy top 5 finish that seems to have helped get them a Lowland League invite.....as well as their programme editor being a good Hibby by the sounds of it........

Badge
03-07-2016, 12:22 PM
Doesn't look like it. Eddie May and Lee Makel.

Where's Joe Mcbride?

Baldy Foghorn
03-07-2016, 12:59 PM
Where's Joe Mcbride?

He has left the Building.....

Jonnyboy
03-07-2016, 01:07 PM
By the way. The big No 9 for Albert, hefty piece of work, maybe just back off his holidays, but looks like a good player at that level. Skillful, nice touches all around the box including the build up to his goal which he took well and had a pile driver of a free kick from well out.
He looked ****ed when he got taken off but I enjoyed watching the lad play I have to say and I hope he does well for them.
Another by the way. Who was it on here (maybe round about the time that someone broke the news about the fixture?) that suggested this HRA side were the EOS 'whipping boys' last term? Programme notes appear to indicate a tidy top 5 finish that seems to have helped get them a Lowland League invite.....as well as their programme editor being a good Hibby by the sounds of it........

Pacoluna IIRC

Badge
03-07-2016, 01:19 PM
He has left the Building.....
Thanks

Iggy Pope
03-07-2016, 02:11 PM
Pacoluna IIRC

That will be the erroneous poster and not the big No 9 then? :greengrin

Jonnyboy
03-07-2016, 02:43 PM
That will be the erroneous poster and not the big No 9 then? :greengrin

Not the number 9 :greengrin

Mibbes Aye
03-07-2016, 04:15 PM

I try and avoid being critical when commenting on the development teams but I wouldn't have agreed with the posters who said he had a great game, ran midfield etc.

I thought he was busy enough but I never thought we looked that dominant in any area of the pitch and certainly not centre midfield. We played very narrow initially, broadened it out as the game went on and used the right-hand side a lot after halftime, with Dunsmore and Watson in particular. That was probably the time where we could really say we were forcing our game and that was down to Watson's energy as much as anything else. As I posted earlier, for me, Ben Stirling was the player who looked like he might be a smart footballer.

If Henderson had been playing yesterday he would have ran riot. I'm heartened by Underscore's post.

I don't think Martin is at Henderson's level yet, though I would accept that we don't know what he would do if he was playing with the support of McGeouch, McGinn etc etc. His attitude is certainly good and he looks like he has a good touch. I think this will be a big season for him - he's had his loan and got a decent run there and now's the time to translate that into pushing for a spot in the first-team squad.

Tom Hart RIP
03-07-2016, 05:27 PM

Mark Smith was no 9. Looked as though he could have been a good player but a bit on the heavy side. Took his goal well

Jonnyboy
03-07-2016, 06:09 PM
I try and avoid being critical when commenting on the development teams but I wouldn't have agreed with the posters who said he had a great game, ran midfield etc.

I thought he was busy enough but I never thought we looked that dominant in any area of the pitch and certainly not centre midfield. We played very narrow initially, broadened it out as the game went on and used the right-hand side a lot after halftime, with Dunsmore and Watson in particular. That was probably the time where we could really say we were forcing our game and that was down to Watson's energy as much as anything else. As I posted earlier, for me, Ben Stirling was the player who looked like he might be a smart footballer.

If Henderson had been playing yesterday he would have ran riot. I'm heartened by Underscore's post.

I don't think Martin is at Henderson's level yet, though I would accept that we don't know what he would do if he was playing with the support of McGeouch, McGinn etc etc. His attitude is certainly good and he looks like he has a good touch. I think this will be a big season for him - he's had his loan and got a decent run there and now's the time to translate that into pushing for a spot in the first-team squad.

Opinions eh? :greengrin I thought he looked a few levels above anyone else on the park :wink:

Mibbes Aye
03-07-2016, 06:29 PM
Opinions eh? :greengrin I thought he looked a few levels above anyone else on the park :wink:

:greengrin

Opinions indeed! I will say that I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

Jonnyboy
03-07-2016, 06:31 PM
:greengrin

Opinions indeed! I will say that I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

It'll be a first :greengrin

Iggy Pope
03-07-2016, 06:31 PM

And so he should. He has played at a few levels above anyone else on the park hasn't he? U-19 internationalist, a few 1st team appearances and even a goal in one of them. He should have stuck out like a sore thumb yesterday.

Jonnyboy
03-07-2016, 06:32 PM
And so he should. He has played at a few levels above anyone else on the park hasn't he? U-19 internationalist, a few 1st team appearances and even a goal in one of them. He should have stuck out like a sore thumb yesterday.

I thought he did, personally :wink:

Iggy Pope
03-07-2016, 06:43 PM
I thought he did, personally :wink:

Not denying he was busy but a stand out? Not what I seen. I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he might just have been rusty, but the same could have been said for everyone on the pitch. Here's to his progression. I'm desperate for him and a few others to make it.
I never seen much of the Development squad last season, having watched a lot of them for the few seasons before that, and it's clear to me that the drop in division two years ago has affected that vital part of the club something awful.

Mibbes Aye
03-07-2016, 06:44 PM
It'll be a first :greengrin

Not in the slightest J :greengrin

It highlights a real point though, at this level the margins are incredibly tight as to who makes it and who doesn't (and we know most don't). It's an incredibly fine judgement as to who can cut it. That notwithstanding, I'm a great believer in football as a leveller - you eventually get to the level you can sustain and you don't last if you're playing above your capacity

The last time we went to Royal Albert the standouts for me were Max Todd and Jordan Sinclair.

I recollect previous trips to the Borders e.g Selkirk a few years back and Lee Currie and Kenny Waugh looked most promising.

The latter pair were peers of Hanlon but unfortunately weren't able to make it, neither did the first two.

Sad as it is, we will be lucky to get one or two out of yesterday's team, that's just how it goes.

For me, the potentials were Shaw, Watson, Laidlaw and Stirling but I would like to see a fair bit more of them and their teammates before casting judgement.

Jonnyboy
03-07-2016, 06:47 PM
Not denying he was busy but a stand out? Not what I seen. I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he might just have been rusty, but the same could have been said for everyone on the pitch. Here's to his progression. I'm desperate for him and a few others to make it.
I never seen much of the Development squad last season, having watched a lot of them for the few seasons before that, and it's clear to me that the drop in division two years ago has affected that vital part of the club something awful.

Stand out in that he was better than anyone else on show. In my opinion of course

Iggy Pope
03-07-2016, 06:50 PM
Stand out in that he was better than anyone else on show. In my opinion of course

And in mine he looked pretty much on a par with most of his team mates. Fingers crossed.

Jonnyboy
03-07-2016, 06:53 PM
Not in the slightest J :greengrin

It highlights a real point though, at this level the margins are incredibly tight as to who makes it and who doesn't (and we know most don't). It's an incredibly fine judgement as to who can cut it. That notwithstanding, I'm a great believer in football as a leveller - you eventually get to the level you can sustain and you don't last if you're playing above your capacity

The last time we went to Royal Albert the standouts for me were Max Todd and Jordan Sinclair.

I recollect previous trips to the Borders e.g Selkirk a few years back and Lee Currie and Kenny Waugh looked most promising.

The latter pair were peers of Hanlon but unfortunately weren't able to make it, neither did the first two.

Sad as it is, we will be lucky to get one or two out of yesterday's team, that's just how it goes.

For me, the potentials were Shaw, Watson, Laidlaw and Stirling but I would like to see a fair bit more of them and their teammates before casting judgement.

All good points, well made and noted :aok:

BTW I thought Adam Watson caught the eye too :agree:

Jonnyboy
03-07-2016, 06:53 PM
And in mine he looked pretty much on a par with most of his team mates. Fingers crossed.

Mibbes Aye
03-07-2016, 07:04 PM
All good points, well made and noted :aok:

BTW I thought Adam Watson caught the eye too :agree:

I saw you mentioned him earlier, glad I wasn't the only one who thought he was a bit exciting

He was certainly lively and he played a big part in us getting on top of the game in the second half.

This is one of those threads we should dig up in a couple of years to see who, if any, progressed.

Hopefully as many as possible realise their potential.

hibeeleicester
03-07-2016, 07:09 PM
I was going to post this but scared of getting shot down. None of that XI will make it with Hibs.

Mibbes Aye
03-07-2016, 07:13 PM
I was going to post this but scared of getting shot down. None of that XI will make it with Hibs.

I think it's a fair point. Experience shows that there's every chance none will.

Jonnyboy
03-07-2016, 07:55 PM

You may well be right. Time will tell as Mibbes says :agree:

Brightside
04-07-2016, 05:44 PM
Porteous is playing tomorrow v Berwick....how did he play at Hawick?

The_Horde
04-07-2016, 05:48 PM

Interesting view. Not even Martin? Or Insall?

Mibbes Aye
04-07-2016, 05:51 PM

I'm not sure he had an awful lot to do and I don't recall him doing anything wrong in defence. He offers something at corners and was unlucky not to have got a goal at the end.

SouthMoroccoStu
04-07-2016, 05:58 PM
Daft question but is the game being covered on Hibs tv?

Brightside
04-07-2016, 06:02 PM
I'm not sure he had an awful lot to do and I don't recall him doing anything wrong in defence. He offers something at corners and was unlucky not to have got a goal at the end.

is he a wing back? or centre?

Mibbes Aye
04-07-2016, 06:18 PM
is he a wing back? or centre?

He was in the middle on Saturday. I don't know his normal position, or whether they are looking to try him out wide.

s.a.m
04-07-2016, 06:25 PM
What's his first name?

Pretty Boy
04-07-2016, 06:29 PM
What's his first name?

Ryan

s.a.m
04-07-2016, 06:36 PM
Ryan

BSEJVT
04-07-2016, 07:27 PM

Sorry must have missed this.

Is he one of our development players ( I don't recognise name) or someone brought in from outside?

Billy Whizz
04-07-2016, 07:29 PM
Sorry must have missed this.

Is he one of our development players ( I don't recognise name) or someone brought in from outside?

Development player, came into the team towards the middle of last season. Plays centre back

BSEJVT
04-07-2016, 08:04 PM
Development player, came into the team towards the middle of last season. Plays centre back

Thanks, don't know how I have failed to notice him before as I read all the reports

pacoluna
04-07-2016, 09:22 PM

It was me, I'm going back 3/4 years. When I was at Stirling uni we bet them 12 -0 and 7-1. It was our first season aswell. I remember them being absolute dross, However seems they have improved according to others on this.