PDA

View Full Version : Kicking Off

CentreLine
27-06-2016, 08:20 PM
No, not some kind of football related unrest but I'm looking for some help here.
This afternoon when Spain kicked off the game against Italy there was only one player over the ball and he played it directly back to his defence. All my life I have understood the ball had to be played forward from kickoff. Have I missed a rule change?

SuperAllyMcleod
27-06-2016, 08:22 PM
Yep, a new rule introduced from June 1st - you can pass back from the kick off.

LancashireHibby
27-06-2016, 08:22 PM
Yes, changed from the start of this tournament.

CentreLine
27-06-2016, 08:25 PM
Thanks

jacomo
27-06-2016, 08:25 PM
I miss the old rule. Pointless really - but a likeable quirk of the game.

tamig
27-06-2016, 10:37 PM
I'm sure Aaron Ramsay did exactly the same in Wales/NI game.

monktonharp
27-06-2016, 11:16 PM
I noticed it, a few games back and thought......foul.

The Harp
27-06-2016, 11:46 PM
I miss the old rule. Pointless really - but a likeable quirk of the game.

Yeah, me too. It was always strictly enforced that the ball had to be played over the halfway line, into the opponents half, by the team kicking off. I always regarded it as one of the basic laws of the game that would never change - wrong again!

HibsNutter
27-06-2016, 11:56 PM
Also, the rule regarding denying goalscoring opportunity has changed. If a penalty is awarded for denial of a goalscoring opportunity there is not to be a red card.

CB_NO3
28-06-2016, 05:15 AM
Also, the rule regarding denying goalscoring opportunity has changed. If a penalty is awarded for denial of a goalscoring opportunity there is not to be a red card.
Changed for all football or for this tournament?

Stewboy
28-06-2016, 05:34 AM

Still a red though if it's clearly stopping a goal though....? Hand ball on the line etc

Geo_1875
28-06-2016, 07:38 AM

Saw that in the Ireland game. Free kick on edge of the box and a red card. If it had been 6 inches further would have been a penalty but no red card. Can imagine defenders screaming at the referee that it was inside the box hoping their keeper will save a penalty.

HibsNutter
28-06-2016, 07:38 AM
Still a red though if it's clearly stopping a goal though....? Hand ball on the line etc

I assume so

Dublin07
28-06-2016, 07:49 AM

Who says Scottish football isn't progressive our refs have been using that rule in hibs games for last 3 years!!

lyonhibs
28-06-2016, 10:12 AM
Who says Scottish football isn't progressive our refs have been using that rule in hibs games for last 3 years!!

Except forgetting to award the penalties....

Craig_HFC
28-06-2016, 10:17 AM

I believe it's still a red card for a 'deliberate' foul inside the box.

So, for example, Shane Duffy's red card vs France was a straight red as it was 'denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity' but the foul was outside the box. If it was inside the box then it'd have been a penalty & a yellow card.

If it was, I'd assume, violent conduct or a deliberate handball on the goal-line inside the box then it'd still be a penalty and a red card.

MB62
28-06-2016, 10:58 AM
Yep, a new rule introduced from June 1st - you can pass back from the kick off.

I noticed that last week too and thought WTF? Then I seen it happen a couple of times afterwards and reckoned there was a rule change (which I don't like).
Does it HAVE to go back now, or could the player taking the kick-off have a dash at goal if he could catch the keeper off his line?

WeeRussell
28-06-2016, 11:29 AM
I always thought it was daft anyway.

Always getting told to stand in your own half for KO, but then having to ensure the ball is played forward, for your team mate to step over the halfway line to retrieve the ball and pass it backwards anyway (the majority of the time!).

RyeSloan
28-06-2016, 11:59 AM
I noticed that last week too and thought WTF? Then I seen it happen a couple of times afterwards and reckoned there was a rule change (which I don't like). Does it HAVE to go back now, or could the player taking the kick-off have a dash at goal if he could catch the keeper off his line?

I believe the rule has been changed to allow the ball to move in any direction.

Future17
28-06-2016, 01:18 PM
My understanding of the rules changes around denying a goal, or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity, is that it's only if there's a genuine attempt to play the ball (or a realistic prospect of doing so) that a player will escape a red card for such a foul in the box. Therefore, Duffy's for ROI versus France would probably have been a red card even if it had happened in the box.

Unsurprisingly, quite a lot of the commentators/pundits appear not to have read/understood the new rules. In fact, when I've heard it discussed during the Euros, only Thierry Henry appears to have grasped it.

dangermouse
28-06-2016, 01:45 PM
My understanding of the rules changes around denying a goal, or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity, is that it's only if there's a genuine attempt to play the ball (or a realistic prospect of doing so) that a player will escape a red card for such a foul in the box. Therefore, Duffy's for ROI versus France would probably have been a red card even if it had happened in the box.

Unsurprisingly, quite a lot of the commentators/pundits appear not to have read/understood the new rules. In fact, when I've heard it discussed during the Euros, only Thierry Henry appears to have grasped it.

Only pundit that thought Engerlund would get put out by Iceland but reluctant to actually say it. You could see he was thinking it though :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
28-06-2016, 01:51 PM
No, not some kind of football related unrest but I'm looking for some help here.
This afternoon when Spain kicked off the game against Italy there was only one player over the ball and he played it directly back to his defence. All my life I have understood the ball had to be played forward from kickoff. Have I missed a rule change?

Can we please keep this term, which has nothing to do with football, for violence related posts? I was bitterly disappointed when I opened this thread, expecting some serious mob-on-mob action.

Onceinawhile
28-06-2016, 02:16 PM
I believe it's still a red card for a 'deliberate' foul inside the box.

So, for example, Shane Duffy's red card vs France was a straight red as it was 'denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity' but the foul was outside the box. If it was inside the box then it'd have been a penalty & a yellow card.

If it was, I'd assume, violent conduct or a deliberate handball on the goal-line inside the box then it'd still be a penalty and a red card.

Deliberate hand ball on the goal line would be a goal these days.