PDA

View Full Version : Messi retires from international football..

Hibs90
27-06-2016, 08:08 AM
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36637591

I find this strange, surely he has a good three or four possibly even more tournaments left in him?

worcesterhibby
27-06-2016, 08:13 AM
So Messi has given up playing for his country because he has been in four finals and lost them all....Try 10 finals Lionel...it's all the sweeter when you finally win...what sort of message is that for kids who look up to him ? If you can't win..give up.

Craig_in_Prague
27-06-2016, 08:30 AM
I think it was a heat of the moment decision, once things settle surely he'll be back for the next world cup, he's still in his prime.

HibsNutter
27-06-2016, 08:34 AM
Just pure frustration at putting chances on a plate for his team mates in another final for them to seriously **** him over again. I'd be tearing my hair out too.

GreenArmyyy!
27-06-2016, 08:58 AM
Probably was just heat of the moment but that is a shocking attitude and disrespectful he has show to his country and his team-mates. If it was Ronaldo who had done this he would be getting slaughtered right now.

HibsNutter
27-06-2016, 09:02 AM
Probably was just heat of the moment but that is a shocking attitude and disrespectful he has show to his country and his team-mates. If it was Ronaldo who had done this he would be getting slaughtered right now.

There is clearly something deeper. Mascherano and Aguero also 'retired', and said a few more were considering.

GreenArmyyy!
27-06-2016, 09:02 AM
There is clearly something deeper. Mascherano and Aguero also 'retired', and said a few more were considering.

Just seen that just now..... very strange.

Vault Boy
27-06-2016, 09:16 AM
So Messi has given up playing for his country because he has been in four finals and lost them all....Try 10 finals Lionel...it's all the sweeter when you finally win...what sort of message is that for kids who look up to him ? If you can't win..give up.

Unless they were looking for tax advice, I don't think any kid trying to emulate Lionel Messi can be said to have a poor role model...

Onceinawhile
27-06-2016, 09:23 AM
Prick. Waits until he takes Gabriel's record even if it takes him 35 more caps then quits?

worcesterhibby
27-06-2016, 10:07 AM

Probably tells you more about the attitude of super rich footballers...when the going gets tough...quit.

TheGreenMan
27-06-2016, 10:10 AM
Adidas will end up convincing him to play the next world cup

FitbaFolkKen
27-06-2016, 10:28 AM
Probably tells you more about the attitude of super rich footballers...when the going gets tough...quit.

I imagine they probably had a couple of challenges along the way to becoming some of the best players in the world. If they were "quitters" they would be nowhere near that level.

jacomo
27-06-2016, 10:55 AM

I think you and others are going way over the top here.

Messi has faced lots of criticism in Argentina throughout his career - first for a supposed lack of commitment, then for failing to single handedly deliver trophies for the country.

He probably will reconsider this decision, but he's had loads of grief and he probably thinks he just can't deal with it anymore.

LustForLeith
27-06-2016, 10:59 AM
I think you and others are going way over the top here.

Messi has faced lots of criticism in Argentina throughout his career - first for a supposed lack of commitment, then for failing to single handedly deliver trophies for the country.

He probably will reconsider this decision, but he's had loads of grief and he probably thinks he just can't deal with it anymore.

Wasn't it Maradonna who said Messi doesn't have an 'Argentinian heart' when he was in charge of the country? I remember reading something where the feeling amougnst people back home was that he favored Spain/Barcelona more than he favored Argentina.

I was thinking this today - doesn't he have a dual passport with Spain? If so, what's the chances of him switching country?

WeeRussell
27-06-2016, 11:08 AM
Wasn't it Maradonna who said Messi doesn't have an 'Argentinian heart' when he was in charge of the country? I remember reading something where the feeling amougnst people back home was that he favored Spain/Barcelona more than he favored Argentina.

I was thinking this today - doesn't he have a dual passport with Spain? If so, what's the chances of him switching country?

I would guess zero.

I believe he did get a bit of stick, years ago, for a supposed lack of Argentiness (a lot of it probably stemmed from him spending his career in Barcelona, and not playing his football in Argentina) - I don't think there's any question he would ever play for any other country though.

MWHIBBIES
27-06-2016, 12:55 PM

I was thinking this today - doesn't he have a dual passport with Spain? If so, what's the chances of him switching country?Literally zero, he can't play for Spain because he has played for Argentina for years.

LustForLeith
27-06-2016, 01:06 PM
Literally zero, he can't play for Spain because he has played for Argentina for years.

Didn't Di Stefano play for two (three?!) countries in his lifetime? Diego Costa played for Brazil and Spain? Motta for Brazil and Italy?

I'm sure I heard a rumour that FIFA were thinking of changing the rule so if you had a dual passport you could play for one country if you'd already played for another but the idea was thrown out as this could lead to companies buying players for clubs so they could play for the country they were based in.

MWHIBBIES
27-06-2016, 01:18 PM
Didn't Di Stefano play for two (three?!) countries in his lifetime? Diego Costa played for Brazil and Spain? Motta for Brazil and Italy?

I'm sure I heard a rumour that FIFA were thinking of changing the rule so if you had a dual passport you could play for one country if you'd already played for another but the idea was thrown out as this could lead to companies buying players for clubs so they could play for the country they were based in.Di Stefano was 50 years ago. Costa and Motta never played competitive matches for Brazil, you can switch if you have only played friendlies.

Messi will never play for Spain.

Since90+2
27-06-2016, 01:20 PM
Given Messi's obvious love for Barcelona even if he could play for Spain I doubt he would want to. A Catalonian national team would be a different story.

jacomo
27-06-2016, 01:41 PM
Given Messi's obvious love for Barcelona even if he could play for Spain I doubt he would want to. A Catalonian national team would be a different story.

This split used to be an issue, but I think the Catalan players got over this around the time Spain were gearing up for Euro 2008!

Finn2015
27-06-2016, 01:43 PM
Adidas will end up convincing him to play the next world cup

Agreed