PDA

View Full Version : David Gray booked in Cup Final!!!

scoopyboy
25-06-2016, 07:17 PM
It was only today that I have discovered that David Gray was booked in the final after scoring the goal.

I've checked reports and not seen it mentioned anywhere.

Hamish
25-06-2016, 07:20 PM
Surprised as he was totally anonymous througout.

poolman
25-06-2016, 07:22 PM
It was only today that I have discovered that David Gray was booked in the final after scoring the goal.

Quite right

Running to your own fans in a state of euphoria after scoring the cup winner

Where will it all end

Maybe a season long ban for our captain methinks is fair

MyJo
25-06-2016, 07:24 PM
was worth it :agree:

HibeesLA
25-06-2016, 07:25 PM
I thought I read somewhere that the referee apologised to him for having to book him under those circumstances.

scoopyboy
25-06-2016, 07:27 PM
Quite right

Running to your own fans in a state of euphoria after scoring the cup winner

Where will it all end

Maybe a season long ban for our captain methinks is fair

I take it you knew that then.

scoopyboy
25-06-2016, 07:28 PM
I thought I read somewhere that the referee apologised to him for having to book him under those circumstances.

Yeah, I was the same. He wrote it in the foreword to the new Ted Brack book, Time For Heroes.

hfc rd
25-06-2016, 07:31 PM
Find it a crazy rule anyway.

Then again, I'm sure David Gray didn't even care when booked for his celebration. If you were to re-create/re-live that moment 100 times, he'd probably do it again and again regardless of being cautioned by the ref.

poolman
25-06-2016, 07:34 PM
I take it you knew that then.

Nope, just relying on your info 😊

danhibees1875
25-06-2016, 07:59 PM
Yeah. His initial celebration looked like he was going to rip the shirt off his back to begin with, thought better of it to avoid the booking and then jumped "into" the crowd anyway. 100% worth it anyway, I'm sure he won't care and the hibs fan he hugged will have been delighted.

Phil MaGlass
25-06-2016, 08:02 PM
David, David Gray, David. David Gray

BoomtownHibees
25-06-2016, 08:11 PM
Surprised as he was totally anonymous througout.

Who??

Kojock
25-06-2016, 08:45 PM
Yeah. His initial celebration looked like he was going to rip the shirt off his back to begin with, thought better of it to avoid the booking and then jumped "into" the crowd anyway. 100% worth it anyway, I'm sure he won't care and the hibs fan he hugged will have been delighted.

Just as well he didn't take his shirt off and run into the crowd then he would have been sent off and wouldn't have been allowed to lift the trophy.

scoopyboy
25-06-2016, 08:46 PM

Crazy thing for me is no one has picked up on it, Hibs fans can be excused as we were going mental but usually the BBC and Sky broadcasts would have shown the wee yellow card on the screen, the BBC website would have reported it and all the newspapers would have had it as well.

Amazing that nobody seems to have picked up on it.

blackpoolhibs
25-06-2016, 08:47 PM
I did not know he'd been booked, but it is a bloody stupid rule. As long as you run into your own fans i cant see the harm in it, and getting booked for taking your shirt off is another, i mean what harm is it doing?

Anyway David, the booking was worth it. :top marks

brianmc
25-06-2016, 08:56 PM
Ach, he was lucky it was just a yellow. After all he did knock 10 rangers players spark out on his way off the pitch, right?

*sure I read that in the daily record report 😂

scoopyboy
25-06-2016, 08:57 PM
I did not know he'd been booked, but it is a bloody stupid rule. As long as you run into your own fans i cant see the harm in it, and getting booked for taking your shirt off is another, i mean what harm is it doing?

Agree 100% with your comments Blackpool.

I'm just amazed that it hasn't been mentioned anywhere.

If he had been booked earlier in the tournament (which I don't think he did) then he would be suspended for our first tie in it next season but what the hell eh. :greengrin

Billy Whizz
25-06-2016, 09:04 PM
Crazy thing for me is no one has picked up on it, Hibs fans can be excused as we were going mental but usually the BBC and Sky broadcasts would have shown the wee yellow card on the screen, the BBC website would have reported it and all the newspapers would have had it as well.

I asked the question on one of the mega threads, and someone said he was.
He's suspended for our next Scottish Cup match

scoopyboy
25-06-2016, 09:06 PM
I asked the question on one of the mega threads, and someone said he was.
He's suspended for our next Scottish Cup match

I never picked up on that Billy.

We will just have to live with it s******, s******.

Hibs Class
25-06-2016, 09:13 PM
It was a retrospective booking, applied by the "we do what the huns tell us" SFA committee after television, mobile phone and international space station webcam footage was scrutinised by a "impartial" masonic jury.

s.a.m
25-06-2016, 09:38 PM

:agree: He said that in an interview - possibly Evening News? Gray said it was fair enough, because those are the rules.

Billy Whizz
25-06-2016, 09:40 PM
I never picked up on that Billy.

We will just have to live with it s******, s******.

I'm sure we can live with this, s****** s******

Col2
25-06-2016, 09:47 PM
It's incredible. Given the circumstances, if ever there was a more historic goal in Scottish domestic football over the past few years I am yet to see it. 114 years and 2 minutes into injury time. But if the ref did apologise then that's at least something. Only in bloody Scotland though!!

Skyegreen
25-06-2016, 10:14 PM
The single best moment ever had n my lifetime supporting Hibs and the authorities see fit to try and spoil that.........sounds about right 😬

Seveno
25-06-2016, 10:32 PM

It is a safety issue as it can result in a surge, crushing the people at the front.

blackpoolhibs
25-06-2016, 10:39 PM
It is a safety issue as it can result in a surge, crushing the people at the front.

Brought in i suppose because of all those deaths we had in the 50s 60s 70s and 80s from silly buggers scoring goals. :wink:

Sir David Gray
25-06-2016, 10:49 PM
I would have taken an arrest, never mind a yellow card, to do what David Gray did.

Seveno
25-06-2016, 10:53 PM
Brought in i suppose because of all those deaths we had in the 50s 60s 70s and 80s from silly buggers scoring goals. :wink:

Sorry but I think you should have thought twice before posting that. Too many people died just going to football matches in those decades, for lots of different reasons mainly because the authorities didn't care about ordinary football fans.

S4uzee
25-06-2016, 11:01 PM

I checked sky sports, BBC and even the flashscore app after the game and none of them showed a booking. Thought he had done well to avoid a booking

#FromTheCapital
25-06-2016, 11:14 PM
Was he on the pitch at full time?

Danderhall Hibs
25-06-2016, 11:17 PM
Was he on the pitch at full time?

Who wasn't?

3pm
25-06-2016, 11:49 PM
Who wasn't?

Me.

Steve-O
26-06-2016, 02:02 AM
Yeah, I was the same. He wrote it in the foreword to the new Ted Brack book, Time For Heroes.

When's that out?

scoopyboy
26-06-2016, 02:19 AM
When's that out?

Thursday, I've pre booked a copy on Amazon.

monktonharp
26-06-2016, 02:34 AM
Sorry but I think you should have thought twice before posting that. Too many people died just going to football matches in those decades, for lots of different reasons mainly because the authorities didn't care about ordinary football fans.I am sure the poster knows well about the disasters, and we all know his comments were satirical. anyway, some of our players could have been charged with polis assault. knockin' a polis man's hat off is enough for that in Scotland. :wink:

Time For Heroes
26-06-2016, 08:07 AM

Imagine if it was his second booking, would he not be allowed to lift the trophy? stupid rule, fair play to the ref for apologising

blackpoolhibs
26-06-2016, 08:24 AM
Sorry but I think you should have thought twice before posting that. Too many people died just going to football matches in those decades, for lots of different reasons mainly because the authorities didn't care about ordinary football fans.

Now i know the Ibrox disaster was caused when Colin Stein i think scored a late equaliser against Celtic.

That was caused by fans turning back on that stair and trying to get back in apparently. I'm not aware of anyone suffering death by crowds crushing folk at the edge of the pitch after ANY goal scored in these times?

Football is as safe as its EVER been in its history now, and a player running to his fans after scoring is hardly a death sentence waiting to happen.

blackpoolhibs
26-06-2016, 08:33 AM
I am sure the poster knows well about the disasters, and we all know his comments were satirical. anyway, some of our players could have been charged with polis assault. knockin' a polis man's hat off is enough for that in Scotland. :wink:

The comment was a little tongue in cheek, but really some folk want to sterilise football to the extreme.

How many times have you gone home with sore shins or a bad shoulder after celebrating a goal against herts, maybe we should just say hooray, shake the persons hand next to us and sit down and eat our prawn sandwich?

Football is a game of passion, and scoring a goal is the climax of the whole game.

I love it when my teams scorer goes into our support and shares that emotion, its not the crime of the century that the authorities and it seems some of our support think.

And as i said about taking their shirts off, i dont understand why they do it, but thats not a crime either.

Onion
26-06-2016, 08:46 AM
Had the ref not applied the rules, he would have been hounded by the petty Huns and their Board as another fenian scapegoat. Ridiculous rule, but who cares.

snooky
26-06-2016, 09:09 AM
Didn't a Servco player ran to the crowd either last season or the one before and didn't get booked. I seem to remember there was a thread about it.
Odd isn't it?

Mr White
26-06-2016, 09:19 AM
Now i know the Ibrox disaster was caused when Colin Stein i think scored a late equaliser against Celtic.

That was caused by fans turning back on that stair and trying to get back in apparently. I'm not aware of anyone suffering death by crowds crushing folk at the edge of the pitch after ANY goal scored in these times?

Football is as safe as its EVER been in its history now, and a player running to his fans after scoring is hardly a death sentence waiting to happen.

I think that theory was eventually disproved re the ibrox disaster.

blackpoolhibs
26-06-2016, 09:51 AM
I think that theory was eventually disproved re the ibrox disaster.

Was it, i never knew that, what caused the tragedy? :confused:

s.a.m
26-06-2016, 09:59 AM
Imagine if it was his second booking, would he not be allowed to lift the trophy? stupid rule, fair play to the ref for apologising

He's thankfully had the presence of mind to think about that because, as another poster said, he changed his mind about ripping his shirt off, and chose the 'celebrating with the crowd' booking instead. :greengrin

Mr White
26-06-2016, 10:00 AM
Was it, i never knew that, what caused the tragedy? :confused:

The inquest found there was no evidence to support the theory as everyone on the stairway was facing the same way. They drew the conclusion that someone tripped, setting off a chain reaction. There was a suggestion it could have been a parent with a child on their shoulders. I'm not sure what if any evidence there was for the last part though.

blackpoolhibs
26-06-2016, 10:04 AM
The inquest found there was no evidence to support the theory as everyone on the stairway was facing the same way. They drew the conclusion that someone tripped. There was a suggestion it could have been a parent with a child on their shoulders. I'm not sure what if any evidence there was for the last part though.

Thanks for that, i'd always thought it was because of that late goal.

hibby6270
26-06-2016, 01:37 PM
I am sure the poster knows well about the disasters, and we all know his comments were satirical. anyway, some of our players could have been charged with polis assault. knockin' a polis man's hat off is enough for that in Scotland. :wink:

That did happen during the celebration. Not sure who was responsible for the Oor Wullie/PC Murdoch moment but surely they must be facing an indefinite life ban from football for a crass disregard of our law enforcement boys in blue. I hope they received Leann's e-mail LOL :greengrin:greengrin:wink::wink:

NadeAteMyLunch!
26-06-2016, 03:57 PM
I would have ripped my top off, jumped the advertising boards behind the goal and ran to the fans in the East stand, ending up upside down in about row AA. I actually thought his celebration was relatively controlled [emoji4]

NadeAteMyLunch!
26-06-2016, 03:59 PM
The rule that you're not allowed back on to the pitch after a red card must be relaxed for a final? Remember Hartley got sent off in the Hearts v Gretna final towards the end of extra time for a petulant kick and was back out parading the cup on the pitch.

WoreTheGreen
26-06-2016, 04:02 PM
Read the Gray booked title. Thought it was his date for his knighthood

Finn2015
26-06-2016, 04:52 PM
It must be great being David Gray. The feeling of knowing legendary status already achieved😍

HibeesLA
26-06-2016, 07:40 PM
The comment was a little tongue in cheek, but really some folk want to sterilise football to the extreme.

How many times have you gone home with sore shins or a bad shoulder after celebrating a goal against herts, maybe we should just say hooray, shake the persons hand next to us and sit down and eat our prawn sandwich?

Football is a game of passion, and scoring a goal is the climax of the whole game.

I love it when my teams scorer goes into our support and shares that emotion, its not the crime of the century that the authorities and it seems some of our support think.

And as i said about taking their shirts off, i dont understand why they do it, but thats not a crime either.

From what I've been told, the caution was introduced to discourage players from running to their fans, as it could cause a crush as fans from rows further back in the stand want to get forward. I agree that it probably hasn't happened, but these days, everyone is thinking about eventual liability of what could happen.

I don't get the caution for taking your shirt off. If that is done away from the fans, not sure what reaction that will cause that is any different from any other celebration.

Cummings booking at Tynecastle would have been for goading the opposition fans, which I can understand, as you could cause another Casper the ghost situation.

madabouthibs
26-06-2016, 08:25 PM
No, David Gray wasn't booked from what I've heard. The yellow card was David Grayed :-D

PatHead
26-06-2016, 10:27 PM
From what I've been told, the caution was introduced to discourage players from running to their fans, as it could cause a crush as fans from rows further back in the stand want to get forward. I agree that it probably hasn't happened, but these days, everyone is thinking about eventual liability of what could happen.

I don't get the caution for taking your shirt off. If that is done away from the fans, not sure what reaction that will cause that is any different from any other celebration.

Cummings booking at Tynecastle would have been for goading the opposition fans, which I can understand, as you could cause another Casper the ghost situation.

I heard that was brought in to appease sponsors due to them not getting their name seen. Don:t know if that is true though.

LustForLeith
27-06-2016, 06:47 AM
When's that out?

I saw Time For Heroes in the club shop on Friday night.

Do people think if Gray had already been booked in the final he would have got a second yellow for his celebration or would the ref have taken into the account the enormity of the situation and let him off?

WeeRussell
27-06-2016, 11:39 AM
It's incredible. Given the circumstances, if ever there was a more historic goal in Scottish domestic football over the past few years I am yet to see it. 114 years and 2 minutes into injury time. But if the ref did apologise then that's at least something. Only in bloody Scotland though!!

I disagree. Whether the rule in general is a silly one is another matter.. but rules are rules, and should be followed regardless of what time it is in the game, or the circumstances.

David Gray and the Ref both done the right things for me :greengrin

Seveno
27-06-2016, 06:44 PM

Yes, I know it was tongue in cheek but the emotional celebration of goals is relatively recent. It is quite clear that a player rushing up to the crowd could lead to a surge with the very real danger of someone, perhaps a child, being crushed.

Past disasters such as the Ibrox disaster, Bradford fire and Hillsborough, have seen safety improvements after the death of many fans, young and old. I would rather that a rule was brought in before someone dies, even if it does take away some of the pleasure from a goal being scored.

blackpoolhibs
27-06-2016, 07:14 PM
Yes, I know it was tongue in cheek but the emotional celebration of goals is relatively recent. It is quite clear that a player rushing up to the crowd could lead to a surge with the very real danger of someone, perhaps a child, being crushed.

Past disasters such as the Ibrox disaster, Bradford fire and Hillsborough, have seen safety improvements after the death of many fans, young and old. I would rather that a rule was brought in before someone dies, even if it does take away some of the pleasure from a goal being scored.

Nah, we were going ballistic for years, in fact celebrations have calmed down greatly since all seater stadiums have come in.

I have seen some mental celebrations over the years, and nobody has died. We wont agree on this.

silverhibee
27-06-2016, 11:44 PM
Me.

Halfwit. :wink: :greengrin

The_Sauz
29-06-2016, 09:54 AM
Players getting booked for running to the crowd after a goal, is classed as time wasting ( you can leave the pitch, but can't go pass the advertising boards) It's a stupid rule, as they only can book the goal scorer, and not the the other 4/5 players who join in! The same goes for players giving it :giruy2:to the opponents fans after a goal.
As for getting booked for taking off your top after a goal, that was all down to some players a few years ago, writing political messages on their under shirt, which did not go down to well with FIFA/UEFA. So they decided to make it a rule :rolleyes:

The_Sauz
29-06-2016, 10:03 AM
That did happen during the celebration. Not sure who was responsible for the Oor Wullie/PC Murdoch moment but surely they must be facing an indefinite life ban from football for a crass disregard of our law enforcement boys in blue. I hope they received Leann's e-mail LOL :greengrin:greengrin:wink::wink:

After The Rangers and SFA got pictures from the Hubble space telescope, it was deemed to be Darren McGregor was the guilty party :greengrin