PDA

View Full Version : Lewis

hibsbollah
23-06-2016, 05:54 PM
I'm just watching the Cup Final. Again. As you do.

It never struck me before how good Stevenson was. There was a couple of heavy touches early on but three quarters of Sevcos attacks were coming down their right and Waghorn and Tavernier got closed down or dispossesed again and again and again. He was simply outstanding in a quiet way and was still matching his man for pace right to the end. And I don't think I can even watch his face lifting the Cup without bursting into tears again. You can tell he was as happy as any of us.

Hibs Legend.

Smartie
23-06-2016, 05:57 PM
I'm just watching the Cup Final. Again. As you do.

It never struck me before how good Stevenson was. There was a couple of heavy touches early on but three quarters of Sevcos attacks were coming down their right and Waghorn and Tavernier got closed down or dispossesed again and again and again. He was simply outstanding in a quite way and was still matching his man for pace right to the end. And I don't think in can even watch his face lifting the Cup without bursting into years again. You can tell he was as happy as any of us.

Hibs Legend.

Over the past 2 seasons he has put in some quite outstanding individual performances against Sevco.

Tavernier and Waghorn had been getting great plaudits for their attacking play but Stevenson has consistently stood up to them and come out on top.

He was outstanding defensively in the cup final, one of the main features of our victory and imo even better than he was in 2007 when he was MOTM.

keep the faith
23-06-2016, 06:00 PM
Couple of posters on here said lewis testimonial committee was set up a few weeks ago. Any news?

Would be gutted to see his testimonial year pass without a tribute.

hibsbollah
23-06-2016, 06:04 PM
Over the past 2 seasons he has put in some quite outstanding individual performances against Sevco.

Tavernier and Waghorn had been getting great plaudits for their attacking play but Stevenson has consistently stood up to them and come out on top.

He was outstanding defensively in the cup final, one of the main features of our victory and imo even better than he was in 2007 when he was MOTM.

Lewis said himself he thought Benji or Fletcher deserved it in 2007. Which is typical of him really :boo hoo:

Hibbyradge
23-06-2016, 06:10 PM
Couple of posters on here said lewis testimonial committee was set up a few weeks ago. Any news?

From what I've heard, there will be a testimonial with various events organised.

The Proclaimers will be involved.

Or so I'm told.

macca70
23-06-2016, 06:14 PM

September 3rd for a testimonial Dinner

hibsbollah
23-06-2016, 06:20 PM
September 3rd for a testimonial Dinner

I love Lewis but I hope he doesn't have to do an after dinner speech and im not sure id pay to listen to it. He'll just get a beamer, mumble something inaudible and modest and sit down again.

Skyegreen
23-06-2016, 07:09 PM
Ok, tin hat on here.
Does anyone think if we had an attacking wing back in place of Stevenson we may well have created more opportunities going forward last season? Especially at home.
I love wee Lewis but nobody can argue that he's not limited in attack!

ps. The wee guy deserves a testimonial 💚

KWJ
23-06-2016, 07:10 PM
I really hope, and believe, that in a good Hibs team next season he could kick on and show that he's worthy of being part of a Hibs side challenging for European places in the league.

Unlike Hanlon, Scotland caps are never going to happen because of the competition for places in that position but that won't prevent him from being part of future positive and successful Hibs teams.

Don't think I've ever wanted a player to succeed more.

Finn2015
23-06-2016, 07:17 PM
I'd make a real effort to go and attend this. I'm not a believer in testimonials these days due to what players are paid but Lewis is an exception. I've said on other threads that his passion and reaction to winning the cup was one of the abiding memories of that day

BSEJVT
23-06-2016, 07:26 PM
Ok, tin hat on here.
Does anyone think if we had an attacking wing back in place of Stevenson we may well have created more opportunities going forward last season? Especially at home.

ps. The wee guy deserves a testimonial 

I confess to having held that opinion in the past, but I would disagree now

I was very surprised by how many of our goals he helped created on the way to winning the Scottish Cup alone.

I would previously have put Lewis towards the top of the players we should replace, but no longer.

Big L
23-06-2016, 07:37 PM
Ok, tin hat on here.

I have to disagree, he gets forward as much as any back I've seen, however his final ball isn't always great, if it was, on top of all his other attributes he wouldn't be at ER that's for sure, he'd be playing in the english. Championship IMO.

KWJ
23-06-2016, 07:51 PM
Ok, tin hat on here.

Tavernier is an attacking wing back but when played in a back 4 it leaves you so open to the counter or simply weak in defense due to poor defensive ability.

Stevenson's crossing is probably about 5/10 but her has the tank to be putting these balls in throughout the game while not weakening us at the back.

And for a wee guy I can't remember him costing us many back stick headed goals either.

Annasam
23-06-2016, 08:06 PM
I was watching the match again two nights ago and thought the same. Maybe I was too nervous and pessimistic first time to notice him but Lewis was terrific. Don't kid yourself he can get better though.

Edson Arantes
23-06-2016, 08:08 PM
I love Lewis but I hope he doesn't have to do an after dinner speech and im not sure id pay to listen to it. He'll just get a beamer, mumble something inaudible and modest and sit down again.

Beamer :greengrin

hibsbollah
23-06-2016, 08:21 PM
Beamer :greengrin

It's what everyone called it in the day :blushie:

Stantons Angel
23-06-2016, 08:53 PM
/
Ok, tin hat on here.

What kind of question is that to start a season with? we may have scored more goals and won more games had Cummings had his eye on the ball? We may have defended better had Oxley not dropped the ball over his own line!

You cant possibly get an answer to a question based in the past can you?

He is a member of our Scottish Cup Winning team and should be treated the same as the rest of them. Dont please start the season off for him on negativity.

He never let us down last season or in the cup final and i dont think anyone could have bettered his performances.

Let him get on with the season in hand!

Seveno
23-06-2016, 08:58 PM
Ok, tin hat on here.

Presumably, number of assists does not come into the reckoning in assessing an attacking wing back?

Edson Arantes
23-06-2016, 09:15 PM
Y'know? He had a pretty good game in the cup final but he's not THAT good.

This is a green coloured glasses thread. Brilliant servant to us but very much replaceable now.

One of 11 legends though. :thumbsup:

Winston Ingram
23-06-2016, 09:18 PM
Lewis:scarf:

Edson Arantes
23-06-2016, 09:23 PM
It's what everyone called it in the day :blushie:

Brilliant expression -says it all. :thumbsup:

Edson Arantes
23-06-2016, 09:26 PM
Lewis:scarf:

Skye :rockin::scarf::rockin:

Shrekko
23-06-2016, 09:26 PM
I think Neil Lennon will get the best out of Lewis- I think he'll just be expected to simply do the job of a full back and not have to defend AND do the job of a left winger like he was expected to do last season.

I think it's undeniable that for a year or 2 after the CIS Final he wasn't developing as we hoped but the past 4/5 years he's just been terrific IMO. I think his testimonial year will be a roaring success and I'm really looking forward to whatever events get lined up for him. For a quiet lad his passion for the club is shining through like a beacon.

1875STEVE
23-06-2016, 09:28 PM
Ok, tin hat on here.

Agree and that's not a dig, id love to see him with a real handful of an attacking threat playing in front of him, allowing him to play his natural defensive game.

FranckSuzy
23-06-2016, 09:30 PM
Lewis is the only Hibs player alive to hold a League Cup AND Scottish Cup winners medal so thread closed, IMHO. If further clarification was required of his credentials, you need only look at his loyalty - one team man - and his commitment, never mind his reaction at us lifting THE cup :not worth His detractors can :giruy2: basically :agree::thumbsup:

hibsbollah
23-06-2016, 09:32 PM
Lewis the only Hibs player alive to hold a League Cup AND Scottish Cup winners medal so thread closed, IMHO. If further clarification was required of his credentials, you need only look at his loyalty - one team man - and his commitment, never mind his reaction at us lifting THE cup :not worth His detractors can :giruy2: basically :agree::thumbsup:

:top marks

Edson Arantes
23-06-2016, 09:35 PM
Lewis the only Hibs player alive to hold a League Cup AND Scottish Cup winners medal so thread closed, IMHO. If further clarification was required of his credentials, you need only look at his loyalty - one team man - and his commitment, never mind his reaction at us lifting THE cup :not worth His detractors can :giruy2: basically :agree::thumbsup:

Well thank you :thumbsup:

Still not the best of players though.

Loyalty, commitment, reaction - definitely. :thumbsup:

Great player - no.

FranckSuzy
23-06-2016, 09:43 PM

Great player - no.

Respectfully, that's nonsense. Every Manager he has played under disagrees with you and it's his testimonial year so....who is correct? Questions, questions.

PISTOL1875
23-06-2016, 09:43 PM
While you can't fault him for loyalty , commitment and attitude , you would go hard pressed to say he's a great player..

IF he was that good then why has he been playing in the Championship for the last two seasons and why has nobody at a higher level came in and tried to sign him ??

Stantons Angel
23-06-2016, 09:48 PM
Lewis is the only Hibs player alive to hold a League Cup AND Scottish Cup winners medal so thread closed, IMHO. If further clarification was required of his credentials, you need only look at his loyalty - one team man - and his commitment, never mind his reaction at us lifting THE cup :not worth His detractors can :giruy2: basically :agree::thumbsup:

well said! im rising to the bait i know but why cant they let him savour the cup success and leave him alone!

Eyrie
23-06-2016, 09:48 PM
While you can't fault him for loyalty , commitment and attitude , you would go hard pressed to say he's a great player..

IF he was that good then why has he been playing in the Championship for the last two seasons and why has nobody at a higher level came in and tried to sign him ??

Conversely, if Stevenson is that average a player then surely one of the 32* managers he has played under would have found a better replacement by now?

*A slight exaggeration, but there's something about that number which appeals to me.

Edson Arantes
23-06-2016, 09:49 PM

In a nutshell.

Smartie
23-06-2016, 09:54 PM
I think he's a great player.

Not perfect but certainly great.

I think there's been a bit too much expected of him and it has highlighted the weakest areas of his game (which are still by no means weak). For a full-back his attacking qualities are more than adequate but imo still not quite enough for him to be our sole wide player with a midfield diamond. His much-maligned final ball is actually miles better than he's given credit for - I blame the strikers and attacking midfielders for the fact he doesn't have more assists, he's certainly done his part by getting plenty of good balls into the box.

For me his achilles heel is his unwillingness to take a man on and I think he does cut back too often. I'd like to see him try (and occasionally fail) to take his man on down the line.

If he had a decent wide midfielder playing ahead of him I'm confident we'd have one of the strongest left flanks in the country.

Stan the Man
23-06-2016, 09:56 PM
To be part of two cup winning sides for a team like ours, is an unbelievable achievement. This sort of thing does not happen by chance. You must be at least a very very good player.

Even if you don't agree he is a great player, he is undeniably a 'Hibernian Great'.

Should be a great testimonial to get behind.

PISTOL1875
23-06-2016, 09:59 PM
I think he's a great player.

Not perfect but certainly great.

I think there's been a bit too much expected of him and it has highlighted the weakest areas of his game (which are still by no means weak). For a full-back his attacking qualities are more than adequate but imo still not quite enough for him to be our sole wide player with a midfield diamond. His much-maligned final ball is actually miles better than he's given credit for - I blame the strikers and attacking midfielders for the fact he doesn't have more assists, he's certainly done his part by getting plenty of good balls into the box.

For me his achilles heel is his unwillingness to take a man on and I think he does cut back too often. I'd like to see him try (and occasionally fail) to take his man on down the line.

If he had a decent wide midfielder playing ahead of him I'm confident we'd have one of the strongest left flanks in the country.

You can't blame the forwards for the fact on numerous occasions he was in decent crossing positions and his end product ended up in the stand can you ???

Dunbar Hibee
23-06-2016, 10:01 PM
For once can we just have a thread with no negative comments about him.

****ing Hibs legend. Love you Lewis Stevenson.

hibs4life
23-06-2016, 10:02 PM

Great player - no.
Can't agree with your analysis, which just seems like another cheap shot at Lewis and a really patronising 'thumbs up'. Which of our players can really be described as 'great'?
Every player has their weaknesses but I don't understand why so many on the message boards seem so eager to be critical.
If we were to try to replace Lewis at left back from those currently playing in Scotland, I'm not so sure there would be many who would improve on that position and I'm pretty sure he would generate interest from a number of SPL clubs if he was to be released by Hibs.

Jack Hackett
23-06-2016, 10:08 PM

This, basically :greengrin

I've had a man crush for the laddie since he did an interview for Hibs tv before the 07 final....which I can't find anywhere online btw, so if anyone knows where it is...... even back then he came across as someone who would give everything for the club. I hope he finishes his career with us and continues on the non playing staff.

Proper Hibby and gent.

WWFTWTG
23-06-2016, 10:13 PM

yes :greengrin

PISTOL1875
23-06-2016, 10:15 PM
Can't agree with your analysis, which just seems like another cheap shot at Lewis and a really patronising 'thumbs up'. Which of our players can really be described as 'great'?
Every player has their weaknesses but I don't understand why so many on the message boards seem so eager to be critical.
If we were to try to replace Lewis at left back from those currently playing in Scotland, I'm not so sure there would be many who would improve on that position and I'm pretty sure he would generate interest from a number of SPL clubs if he was to be released by Hibs.

I will give you Lee Wallace , Graeme Shinnie and Kieren Tierney.. 3 guys who have all played for Scotland..

The_Horde
23-06-2016, 10:18 PM

Paul Hanlon

John McGinn

David Gray

Dylan Mcgeouch

hibsbollah
23-06-2016, 10:22 PM

Great player - no.

I will give you Lee Wallace , Graeme Shinnie and Kieren Tierney.. 3 guys who have all played for Scotland..

Pricks, all three.

PISTOL1875
23-06-2016, 10:39 PM
Pricks, all three.

Say what you like about them but all three of them are better than Stevenson...

PISTOL1875
23-06-2016, 10:40 PM
Paul Hanlon

John McGinn

David Gray

Dylan Mcgeouch

What about them ??

lord bunberry
23-06-2016, 10:47 PM
He's not only the only player alive to hold a league cup and Scottish cup medal, he's the only hibs player who has ever lived to have won both.

lord bunberry
23-06-2016, 10:49 PM
Lee Wallace is a grass, Stevenson isn't FACT.

Smartie
23-06-2016, 10:49 PM
You can't blame the forwards for the fact on numerous occasions he was in decent crossing positions and his end product ended up in the stand can you ???

Nope. I accept that sometimes he booms crosses into the stand when in a decent position and the fault for that is entirely his own. It happens though, players make mistakes.

He puts plenty of balls into decent areas though that deserve much better. Home and away against Raith and Falkirk at home I believe we should have made much more of what were decent deliveries (Raith away in particular).

It's unrealistic to expect players to get their head up and play pin-point crosses every time. Sometimes they need to get past a man and put the ball into an area - it is then up to strikers to get on the end of such deliveries and I honestly reckon there are bucket loads of goals there for someone who can get on the end of them. Too often Stokes and Cummings didn't seem to anticipate these chances (normally they were too deep).

Smartie
23-06-2016, 10:54 PM

Personally I'm still basking on the glory of the cup final and consider all of the cup winning heroes to be great.

But Lewis - decent going forward, excellent defender, versatile, loyal, has played 300+games, superb performances in 2 cup final wins at Hampden…………what the hell does somebody need to do to be considered great?

hibsbollah
23-06-2016, 11:08 PM
What about them ??

They are all players that demonstrate that you can be playing in the second tier in Scotland, be quality, and not be deluged by offers from other clubs.

My_Wife_Camille
24-06-2016, 01:23 AM
Hibernian Legend.

jacomo
24-06-2016, 08:44 AM
Ok, tin hat on here.

Tbf we played very narrow at times last season.

In the cup final, Stokesy's on fire kept drifting out to the left to exploit The Rangers down that side and it worked perfectly.

Lewis is more of a defender than attacker, but it's all about the balance of the team for me. Hibs seem to go between having lots of left sided players in the squad, and having hardly any.

Silver Fox
24-06-2016, 09:26 AM
The fact every manager kept him and picked him since he was 17 say's everything you need to know about his quality, Mowbray taking him on a pre season tour, then everyone after including Collins and Stubbs, imo.

IWasThere2016
24-06-2016, 12:17 PM
Both wing backs were excellent in the Final.

I will be at Lewis' testimonial - it is fully merited.

Edson Arantes
24-06-2016, 12:25 PM
Hibernian Legend.

Yes he is, because he played in the team that finally lifted the cup. There's no doubt about that. But being a club legend does not necessarily make you a great player.

LustForLeith
24-06-2016, 12:45 PM
To be part of two cup winning sides for a team like ours, is an unbelievable achievement. This sort of thing does not happen by chance. You must be at least a very very good player.

Even if you don't agree he is a great player, he is undeniably a 'Hibernian Great'.

Should be a great testimonial to get behind.

:agree:

Viva_Palmeiras
24-06-2016, 01:18 PM
well said! im rising to the bait i know but why cant they let him savour the cup success and leave him alone!

Because it's an Internet affliction.

Viva_Palmeiras
24-06-2016, 01:23 PM
Some people will never be satisfied I get that.

Surely Lewis epitomises the very essence of persevere and he's started and tail-ended with success. He's been with us through that period and his reaction surely mirrored how we all felt as Hibees at that moment it was like watching a kid at is first Christmas or an over excited puppy - overjoyed in he moment.

For anything to override that positivity within a Hibby I think I'd be recommending a visit to the GP...

SJM
24-06-2016, 01:25 PM
League cup winning side v Scottish cup winning side please.

Stantons Angel
24-06-2016, 01:28 PM
I agree and hope people can think what they are saying before they write stupid references on things so heartfelt!

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

hibs4life
24-06-2016, 06:31 PM
Personally I'm still basking on the glory of the cup final and consider all of the cup winning heroes to be great.

But Lewis - decent going forward, excellent defender, versatile, loyal, has played 300+games, superb performances in 2 cup final wins at Hampden…………what the hell does somebody need to do to be considered great?
Lewis is definitely a Hibs great. I was meaning at a broad world or even UK level. Hibs (or any other Scottish team) don't really have 'greats' in that sense.
Lewis, in my mind, is a top Scottish player and a true Hibernian legend.

Jake
24-06-2016, 07:15 PM
I've always thought he's been a great player for us and he's a hibee - never understood the hard time he gets from some fans.

bigwheel
24-06-2016, 07:32 PM
I've always thought he's been a great player for us and he's a hibee - never understood the hard time he gets from some fans.

I'm a big Lewis fan - he grew up a Raith Rovers fan :)

Kaiser1962
24-06-2016, 10:38 PM

He has represented us in five national cup finals and is the only Hibs player, alive or dead, to have won us the League Cup and the Scottish Cup, ever.

He's not Philip Lahm, Cafu or Paul Breitner but he knows this. He does what he does and does it very well, I am delighted he is still with us and he can be very proud of his Cup Final performance. It will be a pleasure to attend his testimonial.

s.a.m
24-06-2016, 10:42 PM

He has represented us in five national cup finals and is the only Hibs player, alive or dead, to have won us the League Cup and the Scottish Cup, ever.

He's not Philip Lahm, Cafu or Paul Breitner but he knows this. He does what he does and does it very well, I am delighted he is still with us and he can be very proud of his Cup Final performance. It will be a pleasure to attend his testimonial.

:agree: I'll go to his testimonial. And I don't go to testimonials.:aok:

The_Horde
24-06-2016, 10:51 PM
Yes he is, because he played in the team that finally lifted the cup. There's no doubt about that. But being a club legend does not necessarily make you a great player.

A great player for hibs. Yes. Of course he's not a great player, no player in Scotland is. But he's been great for us and who cares about anyone else?

Lewis Stevenson. Mr Hibs.

Viva_Palmeiras
25-06-2016, 05:29 AM
I think we should name a law after him.

Stevos Law : the tendency for a player who had served the club admirably to become the fixation of a handful of supporters who will never rate the said player even if they go on to achieve things than no other in the club has achieved. "It's seems these hyper skeptics just would t let it lie" Vic Reeves.

Therefore according to Stevos Law any thread topic related to player comparison or performance will revert to default positions on said player regardless of how tenuous the link is. Entrenched views remain, further debate is pointless - rinse and repeat ad nausam.

sleeping giant
25-06-2016, 09:59 AM

Amen .

His face when we lifted the cup will stay with me forever.

FranckSuzy
25-06-2016, 10:11 AM
Amen .

:agree: :top marks

Wilson
25-06-2016, 10:17 AM
Amen .

Creepy. I'd have settled for a signed shirt.

bigwheel
25-06-2016, 10:26 AM
Creepy. I'd have settled for a signed shirt.

Top marks !!'[emoji106][emoji3]

HibbiesandtheBaddies
25-06-2016, 11:16 AM
League cup winning side v Scottish cup winning side please.