PDA

View Full Version : NHC Kids football lessons

Hibee87
23-06-2016, 11:54 AM
Does anyone have experience of a good beginners football lessons for a 4 year old?

My wee boy keeps asking to play football and tennis but I have struggled to find a convenient course.
It would need to be a weekend due to working, and I have heard mixed reviews about Edinburgh leisure so was wondering if any folks could recommend places to look into?

Cheers

Scouse Hibee
23-06-2016, 12:04 PM
Does anyone have experience of a good beginners football lessons for a 4 year old?

My wee boy keeps asking to play football and tennis but I have struggled to find a convenient course.
It would need to be a weekend due to working, and I have heard mixed reviews about Edinburgh leisure so was wondering if any folks could recommend places to look into?

Cheers

Have a look at Tutti Footy FC, they have a website, run by a guy called Derek Mathison.

Hibee87
23-06-2016, 12:20 PM
Cheers, ill take a look :aok:

Suburban Hibby
23-06-2016, 01:35 PM

Cheers

Play 2 Learn mate, excellent with young kids.

bingo70
23-06-2016, 01:42 PM
Have you tried the Hibs tots (not sure it's actually called that now?)

My boy goes to this on a Saturday morning at Easter road and loves it, age range from 2-5 I think

Brightside
23-06-2016, 02:10 PM
at 4 yo all he needs is a ball and a wall. size 3 ball. just get him using both feet for hours.

bingo70
23-06-2016, 02:24 PM
at 4 yo all he needs is a ball and a wall. size 3 ball. just get him using both feet for hours.

Not sure if you're joking and this is a whoosh moment but depends if you're wanting him to have fun or create the next messi.

One of the things that's impressed me about my laddy (3 years old) going to the football class is how it's improved his confidence in a group situation. They generally sit and have a chat for short spells and I get the impression some parents think this is a waste of time, I personally think it's one of the main aspects of improving their confidence.

Brightside
23-06-2016, 03:57 PM
Not sure if you're joking and this is a whoosh moment but depends if you're wanting him to have fun or create the next messi.

One of the things that's impressed me about my laddy (3 years old) going to the football class is how it's improved his confidence in a group situation. They generally sit and have a chat for short spells and I get the impression some parents think this is a waste of time, I personally think it's one of the main aspects of improving their confidence.

You don't need football lessons or Hibs coaches to give a boy confidence. Until he's a bit older structured coaching is pointless. I have a huge issue with how this country has just stopped kicking a ball about in the back yard or on the street. It just doesn't happen anymore. Each to their own obviously but i just wouldn't bother with structured stuff until they are 6+ and can follow instructions. Otherwise its just a huge baby sitting exercise.

Mr Grieves
23-06-2016, 05:01 PM
You don't need football lessons or Hibs coaches to give a boy confidence. Until he's a bit older structured coaching is pointless. I have a huge issue with how this country has just stopped kicking a ball about in the back yard or on the street. It just doesn't happen anymore. Each to their own obviously but i just wouldn't bother with structured stuff until they are 6+ and can follow instructions. Otherwise its just a huge baby sitting exercise.
I think you're talking nonsense and completely underestimating what 3/4/5 year olds are capable of.

My 4 year old attends rugby and athletics classes. The structure ensures the kids listen, they don't get bored, they have fun, they learn new skills, they gain confidence and they get in the habit of doing exercise at a young age. Why anyone would have.a problem with that I don't know?

Brightside
23-06-2016, 06:01 PM
I think you're talking nonsense and completely underestimating what 3/4/5 year olds are capable of.

My 4 year old attends rugby and athletics classes. The structure ensures the kids listen, they don't get bored, they have fun, they learn new skills, they gain confidence and they get in the habit of doing exercise at a young age. Why anyone would have.a problem with that I don't know?

i never said i had a problem with it. but at such a young age they don't need coaching they just need a parent to take them out the back with a ball. Give it a few years and Hibs will be signing them up at 5!

bingo70
23-06-2016, 06:06 PM
i never said i had a problem with it. but at such a young age they don't need coaching they just need a parent to take them out the back with a ball. Give it a few years and Hibs will be signing them up at 5!

I think you over estimate what the coaches do.

I can't speak for other classes but the one I go to they structure little games, they get the kids together to talk about it and get back playing again then finish it off with the kids running up and down scoring as many goals as they want too. My laddie doesn't have the attention span to just entertain himself with a ball, he'd be bored after a minute so this class is great for him.

I hope you don't mind me asking but is your opinion on these classes based on your own experience or are you speaking as a coach?

hibsbollah
23-06-2016, 06:09 PM

I tend to agree with you. I think P2 is the best age to start proper coaching, the SFA training regime is all fine in principle but young kids get baffled with some of the drills. Until age 6/7 just put a ball at their feet as much as they want it.

KingFranck
23-06-2016, 06:34 PM
Tranent Colts runs mini kickers for 3 years on and is very well run

Mr Grieves
23-06-2016, 08:20 PM
I also take my son to the Links for a kickabout or passing a rugby ball about, and he loses interest pretty quickly. He gains a lot more from the classes.

JoeT_WasTheBest
23-06-2016, 09:06 PM
Www.soccerstarts.co.uk. Jamie Smith takes it and is an excellent coach. Or Dalkeith Thistle now run the Wee Jags, also headed up by Jamie.

Bishop Hibee
23-06-2016, 09:53 PM
Have a look at Tutti Footy FC, they have a website, run by a guy called Derek Mathison.

Derek is my cousin and a dyed in the wool Hibee. http://www.tuttifootyfc.com Derek does west Edinburgh and has another coach for east Edinburgh. Also on Facebook.

LustForLeith
24-06-2016, 01:01 PM

How are Hibs more likely to discover someone? Kicking a ball against their back wall in a garden or playing in a structured set up?

My son was a bit older when he took up football but my nephew is four and he goes along to a couple of different classes. It's great for kids. For one there's a big social aspect to it where they get to interact with other kids there age. They learn more about the game and develop and build on skills they have. And a lot of the classes and clubs are far better organised than they were in my day. Great turn out at Inch Park for Edinburgh South last week with lots of different age groups involved.

Hibee87
24-06-2016, 02:00 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys, I will look into them.

And in regards to some of the comments, I think it depends on the child and what they want to do.

I play almost daily with the bairn in the house or the garden kicking the ball, he likes to go in goal and also shoot. I have taught him how to pass and kick with booth feet (He even likes to run out the stair into the garden pretending he is a player coming out the tunnel. He always wants to be stokesy, paul hanlon, logan or danny handling for some reason lol) He has also watched just about every game at the euro, sitting in our room every evening whislt im making dinner, tidying up etc.

Any way, he asks me just about every day when he can do football lessons as he used to watch his older cousin play. If he likes it and it teaches him more great. If his attention span is no there then i can leave it a few years. IMO if your kid wants to play football, basketball, rugby, cricket etc etc regularly then let them try it, what harm can it really do?

hibsbollah
24-06-2016, 07:15 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys, I will look into them.

And in regards to some of the comments, I think it depends on the child and what they want to do.

I play almost daily with the bairn in the house or the garden kicking the ball, he likes to go in goal and also shoot. I have taught him how to pass and kick with booth feet (He even likes to run out the stair into the garden pretending he is a player coming out the tunnel. He always wants to be stokesy, paul hanlon, logan or danny handling for some reason lol) He has also watched just about every game at the euro, sitting in our room every evening whislt im making dinner, tidying up etc.

Any way, he asks me just about every day when he can do football lessons as he used to watch his older cousin play. If he likes it and it teaches him more great. If his attention span is no there then i can leave it a few years. IMO if your kid wants to play football, basketball, rugby, cricket etc etc regularly then let them try it, what harm can it really do?

It all sounds good mate. There's nothing wrong with structured training with a club for young kids, I'm just talking from my own experience and someone else's experience is equally valid. Beware of folk telling you they know all the answers (and in the world of boys football there are plenty of those types, trust me).

As long as he continues to enjoy it that's all that matters.