PDA

View Full Version : Heskey turns down hibs

Zazu62
23-06-2016, 06:27 AM
Emile Heskey turns down Hibs
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/emile-heskey-turns-down-hibs-1-4161806
From the Edinburgh Evening News football app. Download the app for free today from the Apple App Store https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/edinburgh-evening-news-football/id894578678 or Google Play https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.johnston.edinburgheveningnews

lyonhibs
23-06-2016, 06:30 AM
Thank **** for that, as a player at least.

Scouse Hibee
23-06-2016, 06:31 AM
I worry he was even asked!

Cocaine&Caviar
23-06-2016, 06:38 AM
Hed do a great job as a target man foil for Cummings.

mim
23-06-2016, 06:41 AM
Hed do a great job as a target man foil for Cummings.

..... and he would score for fun in this league.

Callum_62
23-06-2016, 06:44 AM
Absolutely no idea if he still any good

Mind, if Nade can cause us problems, then....

LancashireHibby
23-06-2016, 06:52 AM
Absolutely no idea if he still any good

Mind, if Nade can cause us problems, then....
Having watched him most weeks for the last 18 months, no he isn't any good whatsoever. Was good for a laugh at first, but the humour quickly disappeared when Lennon insisted on playing him most weeks, a lot of the time as a lone striker (and as I've alluded to in previous posts, it's things like that that really concern me about Lennon).

Scottie
23-06-2016, 06:57 AM
Having watched him most weeks for the last 18 months, no he isn't any good whatsoever. Was good for a laugh at first, but the humour quickly disappeared when Lennon insisted on playing him most weeks, a lot of the time as a lone striker (and as I've alluded to in previous posts, it's things like that that really concern me about Lennon).
Another bullet dodged. God knows what kind of wages he was wanting ?

Forza Fred
23-06-2016, 06:59 AM
Prior to joining Bolton Heskey was playing out here in Australia with Newcastle Jets.

He was struggling towards the end of his stint.

He undoubtedly WAS a good player, but I think he even recognises his legs are close to gone.

LancashireHibby
23-06-2016, 06:59 AM
Another bullet dodged. God knows what kind of wages he was wanting ?
He was on c£3k a week at Bolton which when compared to the rest of the squad was relatively minimal, but anything similar would be a sizeable chunk of Hibs' budget, I assume.

Finn2015
23-06-2016, 07:01 AM
Great news!

SJM
23-06-2016, 07:03 AM
Alarming.

Keith_M
23-06-2016, 07:07 AM
I thought he'd retired.

Jeez, I hope that's not gonna be the standard of signing Lennon's looking for.

Matty_Jack04
23-06-2016, 07:08 AM
Alarming.
:agree:

Gatecrasher
23-06-2016, 07:23 AM
I thought he'd retired.

Jeez, I hope that's not gonna be the standard of signing Lennon's looking for.

or the type of player? one thing we definitely need is a big strong player up front who can win headers and hold the ball up.

Scouse Hibee
23-06-2016, 07:24 AM

How many times has that been said.

Bishop Hibee
23-06-2016, 07:24 AM
Right type of player for us but not the right player. 3 or 4 years ago but not now.

Enough said
23-06-2016, 07:52 AM
I worry he was even asked! if that's the case you must be worrying about our new management team.. What's the reason for that? They are just in the door

TAHibby
23-06-2016, 07:54 AM
Genuinely gutted, loved him growing up

Scouse Hibee
23-06-2016, 07:54 AM
if that's the case you must be worrying about our new management team.. What's the reason for that? They are just in the door

What? Away and make up things somewhere else. Because I have an opinion on a player you come out with that pish!

SJM
23-06-2016, 07:55 AM
if that's the case you must be worrying about our new management team.. What's the reason for that? They are just in the door

You've answered your own question tbh.

Keith_M
23-06-2016, 08:01 AM
or the type of player? one thing we definitely need is a big strong player up front who can win headers and hold the ball up.

No, just standard... as in over the hill players living off past glories.

Enough said
23-06-2016, 08:07 AM
I worry he was even asked! if that's the case you must be worrying about our new management team.. What's the reason for that? They are just in the door

brog
23-06-2016, 08:11 AM

I remember people saying that about Kuqi! When i said he was a donkey, from my experience of watching him at Palace I was shouted down. Bullet dodged imo

Thecat23
23-06-2016, 08:17 AM
Heskey is horrific.

Thankfully he's not coming here, so non story really!

Diclonius
23-06-2016, 08:21 AM
Could be worse. Remember the hysteria on here when Trevor Benjamin (almost) signed?

Greencore
23-06-2016, 08:24 AM
It's heskey to Boyle, Boyle to Harris, Harris, Keatings...

Nah don't like it. Thank god we didn't sign him.

SJM
23-06-2016, 08:26 AM
It's heskey to Boyle, Boyle to Harris, Harris, Keatings...

Nah don't like it. Thank god we didn't sign him.

Good to see you're on the ball 👍

Pretty Boy
23-06-2016, 08:33 AM
Bit of an OTT reaction.

Heskey says Lennon tried to bring him to Hibs, not much more detail. Is it beyond the realms of possibility he offered him a role in the set up but also wanted him registered as a player, Heskey has a think and turns it down. Non story.

SJM
23-06-2016, 08:34 AM
Bit of an OTT reaction.

Heskey says Lennon tried to bring him to Hibs, not much more detail. Is it beyond the realms of possibility he offered him a role in the set up but also wanted him registered as a player, Heskey has a think and turns it down. Non story.

Heskey clearly states he wants to concentrate on coaching and that's why he turned us down.

Pretty Boy
23-06-2016, 08:36 AM
Heskey clearly states he wants to concentrate on coaching and that's why he turned us down.
And maybe he didn't like the fact Hibs wanted him registered as a player as well? The detail is so vague I can't see any reason to get worked up.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

The_Todd
23-06-2016, 08:37 AM
The biggest surprise for me here is he's still playing. When is the last season he regularly scored? 2004? He's scored something like 50 goals in the last 12 years. I'm sure he's cost us a relative fortune, he's not prolific. No thanks.

SJM
23-06-2016, 08:39 AM
And maybe he didn't like the fact Hibs wanted him registered as a player as well? The detail is so vague I can't see any reason to get worked up.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

So an unemployed Heskey gets asked to join our coaching set up - which he is wanting to do but turned it down because we asked him to register as a player in case of emergencies? Makes no sense at all. Lennon played Heskey a lot last year for Bolton so he clearly thinks he can do a job on the park an with the player admitting himself he's finished it's a concern.

khib70
23-06-2016, 08:40 AM
The biggest surprise for me here is he's still playing. When is the last season he regularly scored? 2004? He's scored something like 50 goals in the last 12 years. I'm sure he's cost us a relative fortune, he's not prolific. No thanks.

:agree: Dodged a bullet there methinks. But on the positive side it shows that Lennon is drawing on his experience and contacts to find us players

Hibs90
23-06-2016, 08:47 AM
Scary stuff

eastmainsmsh
23-06-2016, 08:59 AM
Could be worse. Remember the hysteria on here when Trevor Benjamin (almost) signed?

Be better wi flora Benjamin 😂

snooky
23-06-2016, 09:27 AM
:agree: Dodged a bullet there methinks. But on the positive side it shows that Lennon is drawing on his experience and contacts to find us players

More like we fired the bullet and he dodged it.
Personally, I find this worrying too.

Stokesy's on fire
23-06-2016, 09:27 AM
He would have been a grand signing for the Scottish Championship. Shame he's said no! he would have been a handful for opposing defences.

Stokesy's on fire
23-06-2016, 09:29 AM

I doubt the offer was tempting enough for him to put pen to paper.

CockneyRebel
23-06-2016, 09:46 AM
I remember people saying that about Kuqi! When i said he was a donkey, from my experience of watching him at Palace I was shouted down. Bullet dodged imo

I said the same thing at the time. All my Palace mates said he was honking, moody and legs had gone. Most on here told me to bolt. I think, sometimes, supporters want a signing and any signing will do and they don't like hearing potential signings are not up to much. I made the statement because I didn't want Hibs signing a dud which was what he turned out to be.

NAE NOOKIE
23-06-2016, 10:26 AM
My jury is still out on Neil Lennon ...... I didn't think he was a bad appointment, but on the other hand I wasn't over the Moon at it either. We probably need a Heskey type player, but I for one don't want to see Hibs becoming a retirement home for washed up English has beens.

How much research has NL done on the opposition we will be facing next season from his summer job in France? Heskey was a failure in a failing Bolton team, what makes NL think he would do a job in our league? If his thought process is .... 'the Scottish championship is crap, hell even a guy who cant buy a goal down south any more should score 20 in that pish league' .... then I for one will be worrying about what IMO is lazy predictable management based on what he thinks he knows, rather than what he should be finding out.

If I was an Alloa fan I would have been excited about signing Michael Chopra .... he managed 2 goals in 18 appearances and he is about 7 years younger than Heskey.

Hmmmmm :rolleyes:

easty
23-06-2016, 10:29 AM
My jury is still out on Neil Lennon ...... I didn't think he was a bad appointment, but on the other hand I wasn't over the Moon at it either. We probably need a Heskey type player, but I for one don't want to see Hibs becoming a retirement home for washed up English has beens.

How much research has NL done on the opposition we will be facing next season from his summer job in France? Heskey was a failure in a failing Bolton team, what makes NL think he would do a job in our league? If his thought process is .... 'the Scottish championship is crap, hell even a guy who cant buy a goal down south any more should score 20 in that pish league' .... then I for one will be worrying about what IMO is lazy predictable management based on what he thinks he knows, rather than what he should be finding out.

If I was an Alloa fan I would have been excited about signing Michael Chopra .... he managed 2 goals in 18 appearances and he is about 7 years younger than Heskey.

I'd no be keen on Heskey, but Chopra isn't a fair comparison. Chopra is known as an out and out goal scorer, whereas if we were after Heskey it'd be as much for his link up play as anything else. Heskey has never been a goal machine type.

NAE NOOKIE
23-06-2016, 10:45 AM
I'd no be keen on Heskey, but Chopra isn't a fair comparison. Chopra is known as an out and out goal scorer, whereas if we were after Heskey it'd be as much for his link up play as anything else. Heskey has never been a goal machine type.

I wasn't comparing them as players. My point was that Chopra, like Heskey, had played at a level considerably higher than the Scottish 2nd tier and was a player most people recognised .. like Heskey his history as a player was decent and yet that didn't do him much good playing for Alloa.

SJM
23-06-2016, 11:00 AM

I think Heskey would have been a disaster but to be fair to Lennon, he did captain him at Leicester before signing him for Bolton. He's always been the type to put trust in someone that's done a shift for him previously so perhaps that's where he was coming from.

bingo70
23-06-2016, 11:00 AM

Sort of agree what you say. I definately agree about the possibility of lazy signings although it's clearly too early to hit Lennon with that stick (excuse the phrase, I know you weren't slating him). Where I disagree with you is that anyone watching Hibs last season, would IMO have seen that we'd have benefited from a big lump up top who barely leaves the 18 yard box but causes havoc for opposing defences. If Heskey still has the ability for that role i don't know but for us to win this league that's certainly the type of forward we should be looking for, as well as a couple of decent wingers.

FWIW My concerns is becoming a Celtic old boys club. I don't care how irrational that is, I don't want to turn into a Celtic reserve side, even if there are good players from them to be had. Again though as we've not actually signed anyone from there yet it's too early to moan about that, it was my one reservation about Lennon getting the job.

Big L
23-06-2016, 12:08 PM
It's absolutely laughable to be offering a 38yr old Hesket a deal and to be honest, it's a bit scary if that's what we are looking at!

Greencore
23-06-2016, 12:11 PM
Good to see you're on the ball 👍

Haha, thanks mate.

Brightside
23-06-2016, 12:20 PM
In these situations its important that everyone make up as many reasons as possible for him turning down an offer. Which in reality was no more that phone call between two friends. Heskey at no point has been offered a playing contract from Hibernian.

SJM
23-06-2016, 12:24 PM
In these situations its important that everyone make up as many reasons as possible for him turning down an offer. Which in reality was no more that phone call between two friends. Heskey at no point has been offered a playing contract from Hibernian.

More along the lines of "Heskey, it's Lennon here, as you know I've become new manager of the 2016 Scottish Cup winners and all round good guys Hibernian FC and I would like you to come up for pre-season if you fancy giving it one last go before the coaching?"

"Nah, sorry gaffer, I'm done - into promotional business now and looking at getting into coaching, good luck"

End.

Jim44
23-06-2016, 08:49 PM
Whether or not Heskey might have done anything for us, is he not a bit out of order to make private and personal discussions with the club public?

Ryan69
23-06-2016, 08:59 PM
Emile Heskey turns down Hibs
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/emile-heskey-turns-down-hibs-1-4161806
From the Edinburgh Evening News football app. Download the app for free today from the Apple App Store https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/edinburgh-evening-news-football/id894578678 or Google Play https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.johnston.edinburgheveningnews

I never really rated Heskey....But he made a good career out of it...so maybe I was wrong!

I do however like the idea of an older striker,that may not be as athletic now...but can put the ball in the net.
Especially if we stick with the high tempo kind of play.
An older player,Knows knows where the goals are....Would of had us flying last year!

Many like that out there! I'm glad Lennon is perhaps looking that way.

Sir David Gray
23-06-2016, 09:13 PM
I don't understand him being offered a contract as a player.

Ryan69
23-06-2016, 09:25 PM
I don't understand him being offered a contract as a player.

Maybe it was player coach...who knows.

Sir David Gray
23-06-2016, 10:03 PM
Maybe it was player coach...who knows.

The coach part, I don't necessarily have a problem with as I don't know what coaching qualifications he has.

Signing a 38 year old as a player would have been a mistake in my eyes.

Biggie
23-06-2016, 10:06 PM
It's absolutely laughable to be offering a 38yr old Hesket a deal and to be honest, it's a bit scary if that's what we are looking at!

This.....

SJM
23-06-2016, 10:14 PM
Whether or not Heskey might have done anything for us, is he not a bit out of order to make private and personal discussions with the club public?

He's done his job. He's been given money to advertise a football match that nobody would have known about unless the headlines he's turned down us.

Did you know Celtic where playing Leicester?

DR1875
23-06-2016, 10:33 PM
It seems such a negative story, a 38 year old player! If this is Lennon's best contact it does not fill me with hope.:rolleyes:

SJM
23-06-2016, 10:48 PM
I never really rated Heskey....But he made a good career out of it...so maybe I was wrong!

I do however like the idea of an older striker,that may not be as athletic now...but can put the ball in the net.
Especially if we stick with the high tempo kind of play.
An older player,Knows knows where the goals are....Would of had us flying last year!

Many like that out there! I'm glad Lennon is perhaps looking that way.

Hows' he looking that way? Heskey has scored a shan amount all his career. How do you figure he knows where the goals are?

Brightside
23-06-2016, 10:50 PM
It seems such a negative story, a 38 year old player! If this is Lennon's best contact it does not fill me with hope.:rolleyes:

He did not offer him a contract. Do people really still believe every bit of pish that appears in the paper following a glib comment.

The_Exile
23-06-2016, 11:16 PM
Remember Lennon said we need to sign the type of player for the league we're in? Heskey would've fitted that bill and would've likely have banged a few in against teams in this league aswell as being the battering ram up front for other forward players to feed off. I can see what he's trying to build with a signing like this. It might not be Barcaesque next year but we'll be going up! Probably all pish anyway :greengrin

GreenNWhiteArmy
23-06-2016, 11:30 PM
Heskey never was the best fitbaw player was he? Colin Nish reminded me of a striker that, without being the most talented made the most of his ability and done well for us scoring a few goals. Took some pelters and at times, he did look a bit comical.

I wouldn't object to signing an experienced pro like Heskey. Aye he only scored a few goals for Bolton but they were a complete shambles of a team the last couple years. If players like Christian Nade can score goals and make an impact in the Scottish Championship I've absolutely no doubt Heskey would stroll it and probably enjoy the pyshical battle. Maybe he'd rather concentrate on coaching but I dini see why he couldn't combine the two with us next season. He could miss playing and give it a go so we'll see but I'm far from against the idea of heskey signing for hibs. At the same time I'm no that fussed about him.

Hoping a couple bits of exciting business is done early though. Show the division we mean business

heretoday
23-06-2016, 11:31 PM
Surely Emil H doesn't need the kind of money Hibs can offer? And at his age he mustn't fancy being booted up the backside at places like Falkirk!

MWHIBBIES
24-06-2016, 12:15 AM
The coach part, I don't necessarily have a problem with as I don't know what coaching qualifications he has.

Signing a 38 year old as a player would have been a mistake in my eyes.The age doesn't matter, plenty of 38-year-olds that would do a job for us, this one just doesn't have the quality anymore.

--------
24-06-2016, 12:22 AM
He did not offer him a contract. Do people really still believe every bit of pish that appears in the paper following a glib comment.

Exactly. Neil has at least another round of the Euros to comment on before he gives his full and entirely undivided attention to Hibs. He'll have feelers out with a whole lot of people, and he won't be offering contracts to them all by any means.

My guess is that this story has more to do with Heskey letting English clubs know that he's still looking for a job than with any serious intent on our part to sign him up.

Keith_M
24-06-2016, 06:13 AM
I read Heskey's comment again and he says he was asked about playing for Hibs. What I thought was interesting was that he didn't actually say who asked him.

It's entirely possibly that it was an agent looking for some money, or even a journalist trying to manufacture a story by asking the question himself.

I'm not saying Lennon definitely didn't ask him, just that it's not outwith the realms of possibility that it's actually a non-story.

Baldy Foghorn
24-06-2016, 09:47 AM
I read Heskey's comment again and he says he was asked about playing for Hibs. What I thought was interesting was that he didn't actually say who asked him.

It's entirely possibly that it was an agent looking for some money, or even a journalist trying to manufacture a story by asking the question himself.

I'm not saying Lennon definitely didn't ask him, just that it's not outwith the realms of possibility that it's actually a non-story.

Agree, publicity stunt from him and his agent......

northstandhibby
24-06-2016, 07:00 PM
Agree, publicity stunt from him and his agent......

Agree and I'm glad he's not coming to the club as a player due to his age. This league is a physically demanding one and no passengers please no matter their big name.

Glory Glory

Jake
24-06-2016, 07:10 PM
He's far too old now. Would have been good to sign him if he was 4 or 5 years younger and he could have been a good partner for Cummings?

Andy74
24-06-2016, 09:00 PM
He's far too old now. Would have been good to sign him if he was 4 or 5 years younger and he could have been a good partner for Cummings?

That boy Zeefuik couldn't move and scored 12 in 15 games for Hearts. That kind of player works in this league.