PDA

View Full Version : Retired Squad Numbers

Cocaine&Caviar
21-06-2016, 04:55 PM
What would people's thoughts be in maybe 5 years down the line Stevenson retired as a one club man, having won both cups & the Championship title; of retiring the number 16?

Done a lot abroad, and we wouldnt really miss 16 would we?

hibs#1
21-06-2016, 05:02 PM
Wouldn't be against it would have to be careful when start winning trophys every season we won't have any numbers left 😉

Onion
21-06-2016, 05:05 PM
Good shout.

Was thinking about this the other day. No 28 should also go. An insignificant squad number that's now iconic.

bod
21-06-2016, 05:09 PM
& 01

Pretty Boy
21-06-2016, 05:10 PM
Slightly related, do Hibs have a number 12? I know a few clubs don't and assign it as the fans 'squad number'.

Holmesdale Hibs
What would people's thoughts be in maybe 5 years down the line Stevenson retired as a one club man, having won both cups & the Championship title; of retiring the number 16?

Done a lot abroad, and we wouldnt really miss 16 would we?

Not for me. I like Lewis and we need to give him a good send off and acknowledge the length of his service when he stops playing for us. But I personally don't think he's done enough. To my knowledge, we've never done this before but please correct me if I'm wrong. He just seems a funny one to start with.

KWJ
This is one of the things that I like from North American sport. Mentioned it before but once a jersey is retired they hang a banner of the player and number from the roof. Would like to see a giant 'Stevenson 16' draping from the west or against the side.

What other squad numbers has he had? I mind him being #3 for a year, think that was under Hughes when he struggled.

Is 4 our most iconic number? Stanton, Sauzee, Hanl.... :wink:

KWJ
21-06-2016, 05:12 PM
Not for me. I like Lewis and we need to give him a good send off and acknowledge the length of his service when he stops playing for us. But I personally don't think he's done enough. To my knowledge, we've never done this before but please correct me if I'm wrong. He just seems a funny one to start with.

It could also be done retroactively but then you're taking out some key numbers, particularly as the squad number era didn't begin for Hibs until 1999.

hibee_girl
21-06-2016, 05:14 PM

He's the only player ever to have won the League Cup and the Scottish Cup with Hibs, I think that makes him a perfect one to start with.

Don't think it'll happen though.

Sammy7nil
21-06-2016, 05:17 PM

:agree: I like Lewis but he has also played a major role in our relegation and our longest stint in the second tier. He has been very loyal but not had any huge offers to tempt him away. Lewis is a great team / squad player and despite winning both cups i dont think he would merit this recognition.

Holmesdale Hibs
21-06-2016, 05:18 PM
It could also be done retroactively but then you're taking out some key numbers, particularly as the squad number era didn't begin for Hibs until 1999.

True, I suppose it's easier than retiring 1-11 which the famous five etc would have had. I wouldn't be that fussed if we did it although for me we should only do it for true 'legends' and, much as a like Lewis, I think we'd be stretching the definition a bit.

HibbyAndy
21-06-2016, 05:24 PM
He's the only player ever to have won the League Cup and the Scottish Cup with Hibs, I think that makes him a perfect one to start with.

Don't think it'll happen though.

:agree:

I'm still staggered through all the great players we had from the famous five to your Stantons to your Cormacks, Marinellos etc wee Lewy is the only living hibs player to win both cups .

Gaun yersel Wee Lewy that is some feat son !

HibbyAndy
21-06-2016, 05:26 PM
True, I suppose it's easier than retiring 1-11 which the famous five etc would have had. I wouldn't be that fussed if we did it although for me we should only do it for true 'legends' and, much as a like Lewis, I think we'd be stretching the definition a bit.

You better believe LS is a legend ! Every single one of those players made history THAT day became a legend right there and then.

MWHIBBIES
21-06-2016, 05:28 PM
:agree: I like Lewis but he has also played a major role in our relegation and our longest stint in the second tier. He has been very loyal but not had any huge offers to tempt him away. Lewis is a great team / squad player and despite winning both cups i dont think he would merit this recognition.How on earth did he play a major role in our relegation? Petrie and Butcher played major roles in that, not our left back...

Cocaine&Caviar
21-06-2016, 05:29 PM
Stevenson must be approaching the top 10 all time Hibs appearances by now?

MyJo
Excellent idea, and entirely fitting for Lewis to be honoured.

The only Hibs player to ever win both the league and scottish cups with Hibs and has played for the club for 10 consecutive years.

Haymaker
I like that Milan said only a descendant of The Great Paolo Maldini could wear #3 if they wanted.

Craig_HFC
21-06-2016, 05:30 PM
This is one of the things that I like from North American sport. Mentioned it before but once a jersey is retired they hang a banner of the player and number from the roof. Would like to see a giant 'Stevenson 16' draping from the west or against the side.

What other squad numbers has he had? I mind him being #3 for a year, think that was under Hughes when he struggled.

Started as number 26 & then changed to 16. Has been number 16 ever since.

HibbyAndy
21-06-2016, 05:31 PM
Any statisticians out there with most appearances for hibs ?

Craig_HFC
21-06-2016, 05:33 PM
Any statisticians out there with most appearances for hibs ?

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player_records_overall.php

Lewis has made 320 appearances.

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=6477

HibbyAndy
21-06-2016, 05:37 PM
http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player_records_overall.php

Lewis has made 320 appearances.

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=6477

Cheers mate :aok:

Gordon smith wow 303 goals for hibs, Pretty much averaging a goal every other game that is phenomenal

.Sean.
21-06-2016, 05:37 PM

Stevenson wore 26 when he broke through and 16 ever since. He's never had number 3.

.Sean.
21-06-2016, 05:38 PM
Absolutely love the fact that it seems he now seems universally appreciated in here. Only taken about 300 games and a league cup and a Scottish cup win!!

Legend? You better believe it. :aok:

Craig_HFC
21-06-2016, 05:41 PM
Absolutely love the fact that it seems he now seems universally appreciated in here. Only taken about 300 games and a league cup and a Scottish cup win!!

Absolutely this.

:aok:

Pretty Boy
21-06-2016, 05:43 PM

Tbh I've always thought Lewis was pretty well appreciated. There was a very vocal minority who loved to criticise him and an equally vocal group who jumped all over any criticism, valid or otherwise, so it seemed things were much more polarised than they ever where.

Reading between the hysteria the general consensus was always 'decent player'. That description is, like that of many others, now superceded by 'cup winning legend'.

hibee_girl
21-06-2016, 05:43 PM

Give it time, someone will be along soon to tell us how crap he is!

Cocaine&Caviar
21-06-2016, 05:50 PM
16 also relates to the year we won the cup, so double meaning...

Sammy7nil
21-06-2016, 06:04 PM
How on earth did he play a major role in our relegation? Petrie and Butcher played major roles in that, not our left back...

I was sure i saw him playing throughout that season perhaps I am mistaken :wink: Everyone involved at Hibs during that period played their bit in our relegation Butcher and all the players made a major contribution.

Pete
21-06-2016, 06:09 PM
I was sure i saw him playing throughout that season perhaps I am mistaken :wink: Everyone involved at Hibs during that period played their bit in our relegation Butcher and all the players made a major contribution.

So everyone that ever played for us during that season has this hanging over them now, regardless of their role?

Lewis was played out of position quite a lot so maybe that will give him some slack.

or maybe not if you're constantly determined to have digs and run the club down. :rolleyes:

MWHIBBIES
21-06-2016, 06:21 PM
I was sure i saw him playing throughout that season perhaps I am mistaken :wink: Everyone involved at Hibs during that period played their bit in our relegation Butcher and all the players made a major contribution.The players as a whole played a major role, no 1 player is even close to being a major part of our downfall. Lewis has more than made up for any part he played as well, ****ing brilliant performance in a Scottish cup final win for Hibs. He is the only left back in the world who can say that.

Eyrie
21-06-2016, 06:25 PM
I wouldn't retire the number of any individual player.

Instead I would retire the number five shirt, because of the significance of that number to our club.

KWJ
21-06-2016, 06:41 PM
Started as number 26 & then changed to 16. Has been number 16 ever since.

I stand corrected.

JimBHibees
21-06-2016, 06:50 PM
How on earth did he play a major role in our relegation? Petrie and Butcher played major roles in that, not our left back...

McGivern was mostly our left back though. His pass for the first goal v Hamilton was staggering.

Onion
21-06-2016, 06:56 PM
:agree:

I'm still staggered through all the great players we had from the famous five to your Stantons to your Cormacks, Marinellos etc wee Lewy is the only living hibs player to win both cups .

Gaun yersel Wee Lewy that is some feat son !

And LS is honest and modest enough to recognise that himself. He's now a Hibs legend for all the right reasons but I agree there were many more deserving of this club honour. I think he'd be a bit embarrassed tbh.

KWJ
21-06-2016, 07:30 PM
And LS is honest and modest enough to recognise that himself. He's now a Hibs legend for all the right reasons but I agree there were many more deserving of this club honour. I think he'd be a bit embarrassed tbh.

I dunno. We've had many great players for varying lengths of spells at the club but few who match Lewis' commitment to the club and passion.

I don't see him passing Arthur Duncan's 626 appearances as he's 306 short at the moment so maybe being the first squad number retired is a bit much but the guy is the modern day legend.

He's our Jamie Carragher.

We all dream of a team of Lewis Stevensons!

*My bad - Gordon Smith is our record appearance holder with 636, 10 more than AD.

JeMeSouviens
21-06-2016, 07:36 PM
No, no, no, no and ****ing no!

Merkin pish.

MyJo
21-06-2016, 07:56 PM
I dunno. We've had many great players for varying lengths of spells at the club but few who match Lewis' commitment to the club and passion.

I don't see him passing Arthur Duncan's 626 appearances as he's 306 short at the moment so maybe being the first squad number retired is a bit much but the guy is the modern day legend.

squad numbers are a modern part of football so while there are absolutely other players in our history who would be deserving of this type of recognition there are very few who have played for us in the era of shirt numbers being associated with specific players that have acheived what Lewis has with us.

Retiring the number 16 or as said earlier having the number 16 reserved for use only by Lewis's decendents would be a great way to honour him.

Viva_Palmeiras
21-06-2016, 08:09 PM
So everyone that ever played for us during that season has this hanging over them now, regardless of their role?

Lewis was played out of position quite a lot so maybe that will give him some slack.

or maybe not if you're constantly determined to have digs and run the club down. :rolleyes:

Folks that put forward relegation as an indelible stain that ruins the rest of their Hibee career really needs to have a word with themselves.

pacoluna
21-06-2016, 08:12 PM
Retiring Stevensons squad number seriously! ?

I thought teams only do that if something tragic happens to a player?

Can someone tell me a player, any player in the world who has had their squad number retired because of their ability on the pitch.

Remember this is Stevenson we are talking about.

MWHIBBIES
21-06-2016, 08:14 PM

Can someone tell me a player, any player in the world who has had their squad number retired because of their ability on the pitch.

Remember this is Stevenson we are talking about.Franco Baresi and Paolo Maldini. That was easy.

Mr White

*My bad - Gordon Smith is our record appearance holder with 636, 10 more than AD.

I think it is Arthur Duncan as a lot of Gordon Smith's appearances were in the war time southern league and are not regarded as official appearances.

pacoluna
Franco Baresi and Paolo Maldini. That was easy.
Thank you, you have made my point.

MWHIBBIES
21-06-2016, 08:16 PM
Thank you, you have made my point.
Not really, quality is relative. Lewis is a legend who has made history is a Hibs shirt.

pacoluna
21-06-2016, 08:23 PM
Not really, quality is relative. Lewis is a legend who has made history is a Hibs shirt.

Why don't we call the west stand the Lewis Stevenson stand or even better get a statue of him built outside. I like his dedication as a player and the fact he has won both cups with hibs, so would Brown, Fletcher, etc have though but they moved on for a reason, the reason? they were better than mediocre

MyJo
21-06-2016, 08:24 PM

Remember this is Stevenson we are talking about.

of the names that i recognise on the list:

Karel Poborsky
Temur Ketsbaia
Roberto Baggio
Franco Baresi
Paolo Maldini
Diego Maradona
Johan Cruyff
Henrick Larsson
Gianfranco Zola

Pretty Boy
21-06-2016, 08:26 PM
I'm not really a fan of the whole retiring numbers thing tbh.

However if Hibs did decide to go down the route Lewis Stevenson is as worthy a candidate as anyone. Likely to be a one club man, 1st ever Hibs player to win both major domestic trophies with Hibs and part of the side that ended a 114 year wait for a trophy everyone connected to Hibs craved more than anything. If that isn't deserving then I don't know what is.

As I say it's not really my thing but if it was to happen then I'd have no objective to it and LS would well deserve it.

Sammy7nil
21-06-2016, 08:32 PM

Run the club down and have digs? Sorry not true i am only stating my opinion you obviously dont agree i will have to get over that.

Sammy7nil
21-06-2016, 08:35 PM
Folks that put forward relegation as an indelible stain that ruins the rest of their Hibee career really needs to have a word with themselves.

Totally agree not sure anyone has said that? What was said is Lewis played his part. He is a good player not a great imho of course.

blackpoolhibs
21-06-2016, 08:36 PM
When we win the League cup next season, we will have to retire a whole lot more numbers. :top marks

pacoluna
21-06-2016, 08:38 PM
When we win the League cup next season, we will have to retire a whole lot more numbers. :top marks

Good point!

21-06-2016, 09:16 PM
:agree: I like Lewis but he has also played a major role in our relegation and our longest stint in the second tier. He has been very loyal but not had any huge offers to tempt him away. Lewis is a great team / squad player and despite winning both cups i dont think he would merit this recognition.

Stevenson was actually one of the very few platers from that team that came out with any sort of dignity. He was in with a team full of gutless, lazy wage thieves. An interview last year he said that other players in that team in the time used to give him stick for staying behind longer at training. Just shows you the mentality he was around at the time.

MWHIBBIES
21-06-2016, 09:22 PM
Why don't we call the west stand the Lewis Stevenson stand or even better get a statue of him built outside. I like his dedication as a player and the fact he has won both cups with hibs, so would Brown, Fletcher, etc have though but they moved on for a reason, the reason? they were better than mediocreI'm not the one who suggested retiring his number, I'm defending him from the people who think it is absurd. Lewis has done great things at this club and deserves more respect than you are giving him.

pacoluna
21-06-2016, 09:24 PM
I'm not the one who suggested retiring his number, I'm defending him from the people who think it is absurd. Lewis has done great things at this club and deserves more respect than you are giving him.
I respect him, just not enough to retire his number.

KWJ
21-06-2016, 09:34 PM
You don't have to be a great player to be a club great.

Nicho87
21-06-2016, 09:40 PM
Do hibs not currently have a number retired currently as a youth player died a good few years ago. Not david paul a couple of years ago. Im talking more 5-10 years ago.

KWJ
22-06-2016, 03:52 AM
Do hibs not currently have a number retired currently as a youth player died a good few years ago. Not david paul a couple of years ago. Im talking more 5-10 years ago.

Liam O'Sullivan?

Nicho87
22-06-2016, 07:01 AM
Liam O'Sullivan?

Thats him

Forza Fred
22-06-2016, 09:50 AM
Haven't read every post on this thread, so forgive me if already covered.

I wouldn't retire ANY squad number.

This club will continue on long after everyone on this forum is dead and gone, and what were 'heroes' to them, will simply be paragraphs of history to others.

If we did we could end up with the ludicrous situation that numbers of all the team started at 80 or something and nobody knew the names of the retired players.

An example too..if the number 9 was retired after Lawrie Reilly retired..did that mean thatvJoecBaker was not worthy of it?

WeeRussell
22-06-2016, 11:17 AM
Love King Lewy, and not against the idea as such, but just a bit over the top for me.

Maybe once he's won the Europa League as well, I'll warm to the idea.

GreenLake
22-06-2016, 11:32 AM
If we want a shirt to hang from the rafters retire 32.

Callyballybe
22-06-2016, 12:51 PM
I like that Milan said only a descendant of The Great Paolo Maldini could wear #3 if they wanted.
Hadn't heard this before, class on Milan's part. :aok:

Cocaine&Caviar
22-06-2016, 12:55 PM
Have we had any succesful or notable other players to wear the number 16?

One Day Soon
22-06-2016, 01:11 PM
I'm not sure whether retiring the squad number is a good idea or not. If it is ever going to be done, what would we expect a player to achieve beyond what Lewis has done in order to merit it?

I would very much like to see David Gray's squad number next season as 92. I could live with that for every single game.

Kavinho
22-06-2016, 06:20 PM
I'm not sure whether retiring the squad number is a good idea or not. If it is ever going to be done, what would we expect a player to achieve beyond what Lewis has done in order to merit it?

I would very much like to see David Gray's squad number next season as 92. I could live with that for every single game.

500 appearances minimum

KWJ
22-06-2016, 06:35 PM
Haven't read every post on this thread, so forgive me if already covered.

I wouldn't retire ANY squad number.

This club will continue on long after everyone on this forum is dead and gone, and what were 'heroes' to them, will simply be paragraphs of history to others.

If we did we could end up with the ludicrous situation that numbers of all the team started at 80 or something and nobody knew the names of the retired players.

An example too..if the number 9 was retired after Lawrie Reilly retired..did that mean thatvJoecBaker was not worthy of it?

Hear what you're saying but it's different since 1999 and Hibs have had squad numbers. North American teams do this and it's far from ridiculous, and only goes to a handful of players. Chicago and Detroit have been going since the 20's and have 7 numbers retired each.

It is a bit awkward when it's a goalie mind !

I like the 500 appearances suggestion. Reckon Lewis and Paul could make that.

Pretty Boy
22-06-2016, 06:38 PM
Have we had any succesful or notable other players to wear the number 16?

The porn star.

Cocaine&Caviar
22-06-2016, 07:49 PM
Wish i had included a poll on this now...