PDA

View Full Version : Time for new blood?

seanoheimhin
21-06-2016, 11:56 AM
The last few weeks seem like they've been productive for the club.

New manager
Main sponsor confirmed
Approaching 10k season tickets
Europa League draw made
New kit hopefully announced soon

Now that all of that has been more or less sorted, I hope we can shift focus back to the squad. It would be very preferable to have a couple of players in before the Europa League tie, but doesn't seem like this is close to happening right now. Does anyone else have concerns about the current squad (minus Henderson and Stokes now) taking on most likely Brondby? Nobody wants another demoralising Malmo-esque experience so I hope we can bolster sooner rather than later.

Any indications that this might happen?

IanM
21-06-2016, 12:05 PM

New manager
Main sponsor confirmed
Europa League draw made

Now that all of that has been more or less sorted, I hope we can shift focus back to the squad. It would be very preferable to have a couple of players in before the Europa League tie, but doesn't seem like this is close to happening right now. Does anyone else have concerns about the current squad (minus Henderson and Stokes now) taking on most likely Brondby? Nobody wants another demoralising Malmo-esque experience so I hope we can bolster sooner rather than later.

In an ideal world we would but with a change of management I'd be happy with having the right players in in time for the league rather than Europe.

Nothing to say Lennon won't have them in before but league again needs to be our focus.

Totally excited for the season!! Support whoever pulls on the jersey this season

DH1875
21-06-2016, 12:21 PM

New manager
Main sponsor confirmed
Europa League draw made

Have we a confirmed main sponsor? I know there's been a lot of talk that Marathon bet are extending the deal but has it been confirmed?

Hibernian Verse
21-06-2016, 12:21 PM
Have we a confirmed main sponsor? I know there's been a lot of talk that Marathon bet are extending the deal but has it been confirmed?
Confirmed on official site earlier

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

hibs0666
21-06-2016, 12:22 PM

Yes.

DH1875
21-06-2016, 12:24 PM
Confirmed on official site earlier

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Cheers, missed it :aok:

MyJo
21-06-2016, 12:29 PM

New manager
Main sponsor confirmed
Europa League draw made

The european games are glorified pre-season friendlies just now. Good for the fans, generate us a bit of money and gets us up to speed for the league season but it not important in the grand scheme of things.

If we go in with the players we have then so be it.

Zazu62
21-06-2016, 12:30 PM
I think against Malmö we had Lewis Stevenson playing at RB Tom Taiwo in the middle and rowan vine up front stroking his beard .. Don't think it will ever be as bad as that again thank ****

Forza Fred
21-06-2016, 12:32 PM
I have no expectations of us progressing in Europe, and am not much fussed to be honest.

The league is everything this season, but agree it would be nice to get a couple of players in early..just so they can gel prior to the start of the league campaign

seanoheimhin
21-06-2016, 02:50 PM
I have no expectations of us progressing in Europe, and am not much fussed to be honest.

The league is everything this season, but agree it would be nice to get a couple of players in early..just so they can gel prior to the start of the league campaign

Yeah I suppose Europe is the obvious marker to reference, but actually I think the earlier we can get players in the better. We all remember our slow start last season (partly due to Scott Allan saga) and the impact that's had.

Hope we can hit the ground running. If we're to get a couple of Celtic loans again this season (hopefully Henderson), then surely they won't take a long time to process.

SlickShoes
21-06-2016, 02:54 PM
We still have a good starting 11 plus a couple of subs, we still need to improve on it though and bring in cover for the others. So while work needs to be done, we have a very good squad as a starting point, assuming everyone can stay healthy for a few weeks I see no reason why we can't win the euro tie.

As things stand we have -

Goalies: Oxley, Virtanen
Defenders: Stevenson, GRAY, McGregor, Halon, Fontaine,
Midfield: Bartley, Fyvie, Mcgeouch, McGinn, Carmichael, Stanton, Harris, Martin
Attack: Cummings, Keatings, Boyle, Insall, Handling

greenlex
21-06-2016, 03:00 PM
Frankly Europa Leauge is a distraction we dont need. Imagine reaching the group stages. We really dont need that this season.

Lancs Harp
21-06-2016, 03:04 PM
I hope we make a decent fist of playing in Europe. It would be fantastic to make the group stage of the Europa, a campaign we would remember for years to come.

We had many of the opinion that the league was far more important to the Club than the Scottish Cup last season, would anyone seriously swap May 21 for victory over Falkirk and Kilmarnock now?

We'll get promoted this season I'm sure it. The Club is well and truly on the up and a little run in Europe would cap things off nicely.

Be positive and aim high.
Dare to dream.

BroxburnHibee
21-06-2016, 03:05 PM
Frankly Europa Leauge is a distraction we dont need. Imagine reaching the group stages. We really dont need that this season.

Exactly!!! One aim this season - only one!!!!!!

NYHibby
21-06-2016, 03:11 PM

While I agree, we don't need to worry about making the group stage. We have 3 rounds before that. Look at the teams we would potentially need to beat in the 3rd and playoff rounds.

I think winning in the 2nd round and then going out in the 3rd would be a very good result and help us get off to a faster start this season than meaningless friendlies against Motherwell.

Frazerbob
21-06-2016, 03:15 PM

Yip, the league & cup double!

SJM
21-06-2016, 03:19 PM
I reckon Lennon will take a good look at the players available then decide. Pre-Season starts tomorrow so hopefully there's some business from next week onwards.

Michael
21-06-2016, 03:23 PM

We'll never get that far, but if we did we could sign some excellent players.

jacomo
21-06-2016, 03:36 PM
We still have a good starting 11 plus a couple of subs, we still need to improve on it though and bring in cover for the others. So while work needs to be done, we have a very good squad as a starting point, assuming everyone can stay healthy for a few weeks I see no reason why we can't win the euro tie.

:agree:

Injuries and fatigue did for us last season.

We've got a good first 11 - I'd like a really good striker now but that's unlikely, so we just need to go with what we have.

How about Oli Shaw? Is he close to the first team squad?

spudhib
21-06-2016, 03:51 PM
We need a goalie imo and I'm hoping Lenny is having a word with McGovern of NI about his plans for next season.

Steve20
21-06-2016, 03:55 PM

It's a good starting point yes, but it does need some work to it. A new keeper, full back cover, someone to replace Henderson now he's away and a forward are all a definite that we should bring in. Two forwards if Cummings leaves.

seanoheimhin
21-06-2016, 05:16 PM
While I agree, we don't need to worry about making the group stage. We have 3 rounds before that. Look at the teams we would potentially need to beat in the 3rd and playoff rounds.

I think winning in the 2nd round and then going out in the 3rd would be a very good result and help us get off to a faster start this season than meaningless friendlies against Motherwell.

Good point, I think winning a two-legged tie against new and exciting opposition would do us a world of good.

I get the ' one aim' perspective, but even if we only took a couple of steps towards the play-offs it would be great experience for the younger players and would be a financial boost. Money isn't to be sniffed at in our third season down.

Finn2015
21-06-2016, 05:21 PM
It's great we have got Hanlon signed up but I would still like to see another decent centre half in and the defence bolstered. The cup win was amazing but we shouldn't let it overshadow the fact we conceded quite a few recently

Big L
21-06-2016, 05:55 PM
We've got four Ch's Hanlon McGregor Fontaine and Foster when he signs. I would like to see Lenny give Crane and Dunmore a wee chance as cover for Gray and Stevenson. Remember McGregor and Foster can also cover at RB and Hanlon can cover LB. Any cash we've have I would like to see us spend on goal scorers, I would like us to get Commons and one other good striker.

sleeping giant
21-06-2016, 06:07 PM

Just imagine reaching the group stages.
I would have some of that please.

Lennon said he fancied the group stages.

mjhibby
21-06-2016, 06:17 PM

The league is totally the focus but even getting through one round in Europe could bring in money to offset the loss we will make this season plus give us a couple of more meaningful games before the league season starts. Second leg in the Europa league is July 21 and the league doesn't start till 6th August,a gap of 16 days.