PDA

View Full Version : Stanton and Harris-The comeback Kids

Torto7062
20-06-2016, 07:33 AM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/neil-lennon-will-give-young-hibs-duo-a-chance-1-4158730

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

staunchhibby
20-06-2016, 08:22 AM
Well done boys hope it works out for you both.

Forza Fred
20-06-2016, 08:26 AM
Don't think anything other than they would have been gone by now if Stubbsie was still here.

They have a second chance.

Up to them if they grab it.

CallumLaidlaw
20-06-2016, 08:30 AM
Good luck to them. If they can find the best form they had for us, then they are useful players to have around. Personally think Stanton could still offer us something. I can't find the same feeling about Harris unfortunately.

jacomo
20-06-2016, 08:35 AM
Don't think anything other than they would have been gone by now if Stubbsie was still here.

They have a second chance.

Up to them if they grab it.

Hope the fans all give them a second chance too.

Finn2015
20-06-2016, 08:35 AM
Second chance and it seems like Lennon is prepared to give everyone a go. Hopefully they take it

My_Wife_Camille
20-06-2016, 08:52 AM
I said this on another thread the other day and was shot down in flames for it :hilarious

I'm glad it's Lennon making the decisions and not the experts on here. Good luck Alex and Sam, show us what you can do!

TheFamous1875
20-06-2016, 09:04 AM
I said this on another thread the other day and was shot down in flames for it :hilarious

I'm glad it's Lennon making the decisions and not the experts on here. Good luck Alex and Sam, show us what you can do!

:agree:

We should always be using every option at our disposal at all times - you never know what might happen. Imagine the Harris and Stanton who first burst onto the scene in our squad? Stanton, a goal-scoring midfielder and Harris bombing down the wing at 100-miles an hour? It's not impossible to get them to that level.

G B Young
20-06-2016, 09:11 AM
Harris looked the real deal when he first got a run of games towards the end of the 2012/13 season. Sparked the Scottish Cup semi-final comeback and turned in a great showing in the derby win at Tynecastle, gliding past players with ease. I was very excited by his potential. But something went wrong after he broke his ankle right at the start of the next season. He got rushed back too early by Butcher and looked nervous, utterly lacking in conviction or confidence. Things looked a wee bit better when Stubbs gave him a couple of games and I gather he turned in some reasonable displays at Dundee and QoS, but I still sense he's lost something that may never quite return. Would love to be proved wrong.

Stanton I think we all wanted to succeed because of his famous surname. A tidy player but hard to argue he's better than what we have in midfield.

Ozyhibby
20-06-2016, 09:13 AM
I'd rather we were actually making signings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thecat23
20-06-2016, 09:14 AM
He's not saying he'll play them. He's saying he'll take a look at them in training. Still think they will be fringe players if they are kept on. We'll sign better imo.

Billy Whizz
20-06-2016, 09:16 AM
No mention of Handling

Ronniekirk
20-06-2016, 09:22 AM
Given they are under contract he was always going to give them pre season to have a look at them imo The teal crunch comes when he wants to bring a player in but maybe needs a few out on loan to make that happen
But up to the players to show the hunger and drive to to apply themselves when they get the chance
They have both played regularly at Championship Level so shouldn't take Lennon too long to make his mind up when he has seen them in a few games

brog
20-06-2016, 09:23 AM
Harris looked the real deal when he first got a run of games towards the end of the 2012/13 season. Sparked the Scottish Cup semi-final comeback and turned in a great showing in the derby win at Tynecastle, gliding past players with ease. I was very excited by his potential. But something went wrong after he broke his ankle right at the start of the next season. He got rushed back too early by Butcher and looked nervous, utterly lacking in conviction or confidence. Things looked a wee bit better when Stubbs gave him a couple of games and I gather he turned in some reasonable displays at Dundee and QoS, but I still sense he's lost something that may never quite return. Would love to be proved wrong.

Stanton I think we all wanted to succeed because of his famous surname. A tidy player but hard to argue he's better than what we have in midfield.

A very fair summary IMO. I think NL also remembers the 2013 final when, with a half fit LG, Harris was really our only potential threat. I think SS has physically developed & could be decent back-up to McGinn. It also makes sense for NL to make his own decisions & I wish both players well.

Diclonius
20-06-2016, 09:24 AM
Hope they do well. Harris could be an asset if he reaches his 2012-13 form, Stanton not convinced.

My_Wife_Camille
20-06-2016, 09:27 AM
He's not saying he'll play them. He's saying he'll take a look at them in training. Still think they will be fringe players if they are kept on. We'll sign better imo.
Agreed, but we could have done with a few decent fringe players at times last season

500miles
20-06-2016, 09:29 AM
Stanton has skill, a decent shot, and a good delivery. He hasn't got pace, and therefore needs to become stronger to dominate the yard of space around him, otherwise he'll get knocked about.

Alex needs to be brave and take on his man. For all I've never liked Lennon, if someone exemplified hunger and fearlessness, its him. Hopefully he can rub off on Harris. He has pace, can cross a ball, shoot from distance. There's real potential.

speedy_gonzales
20-06-2016, 09:35 AM
No mention of Handling

Possibly because he isn't returning from loan spells like these two?

Andy74
20-06-2016, 09:36 AM
No mention of Handling

I would imagine because these two had been out on loan. Handling has been here, albeit injured, and part of recent squads.

Dashing Bob S
20-06-2016, 10:23 AM
Harris, I very much doubt, will get back to the speed and confidence levels of his brief heyday. Stanton has promise but never quite fulfilled it.

Lennon obviously wants to see them with his own eyes and give them the benefit of the doubt, but both have missed to much football at a crucial period in their development, and I suspect that this is merely a stay of execution.

Fervently hope I'm wrong though, as both have obvious talent and it would be good to see two of our own break through.

J-C
20-06-2016, 10:39 AM
He's basically saying he remembers them as 2 exciting talented youngsters breaking through who have lost their way a bit, he'll have a look at them and see if there's anyway he can help recapture that initial promise. I hope they can turn their careers around and capture that form they showed early doors, it will be like new signings.

nellio
20-06-2016, 10:46 AM
Harris clearly good enough to play at this level when you consider that he had the most assists last year. We are crying out for wingers!

Stanton I think is also good enough to be in the squad at this level. Up to him to prove it. I think Harris has already shown he is good enough.

Andy74
20-06-2016, 10:58 AM
Harris clearly good enough to play at this level when you consider that he had the most assists last year. We are crying out for wingers!

Stanton I think is also good enough to be in the squad at this level. Up to him to prove it. I think Harris has already shown he is good enough.

What are you basing Harris having the most assists on?

CallumLaidlaw
20-06-2016, 11:03 AM

Not sure if he's had MOST assists, but saw this on FB earlier (no ideas how accurate it is)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ck-iKjnWsAAWlyO.jpg:large

s.a.m
20-06-2016, 11:05 AM

He retweeted a table - don't know where it originated from - of assists per 90 minutes, in the Championship. He was clear at the top. Our best was Liam Henderson, followed by Fyvie and McGinn then Gray and Stevenson.

Andy74
20-06-2016, 11:11 AM
He retweeted a table - don't know where it originated from - of assists per 90 minutes, in the Championship. He was clear at the top. Our best was Liam Henderson, followed by Fyvie and McGinn then Gray and Stevenson.

Too difficult to see what they are using for that stat.

jacomo
20-06-2016, 11:19 AM
Not sure if he's had MOST assists, but saw this on FB earlier (no ideas how accurate it is)

Both also scored goals in the Championship last season, but don't start bringing facts into this debate. :wink:

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/scottish-championship/46/statistics/scorers?season=2015&seasonType=0

Andy74
20-06-2016, 11:22 AM
Both also scored goals in the Championship last season, but don't start bringing facts into this debate. :wink:

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/scottish-championship/46/statistics/scorers?season=2015&seasonType=0

Lots of players scored goals and had assists in the championship last year, it doesn't get us much nearer to knowing if they are good enough for Hibs. With Harris and Stanton we have seen them playing for us and I don't think either of them would improve the team.

20-06-2016, 11:27 AM
New manger, clean slate for everyone and a chance for these guys to get themselves back into the team. Think Stanton could be a good wee player and hopefully Harris has got his confidence back. After his injury he just never really got going again at hibs and looked very timid.

jacomo
20-06-2016, 12:00 PM
Lots of players scored goals and had assists in the championship last year, it doesn't get us much nearer to knowing if they are good enough for Hibs. With Harris and Stanton we have seen them playing for us and I don't think either of them would improve the team.

Our midfielders didn't score many goals last season, though.

We need options and we need cover. Sam and Alex may not have a future at Hibs, but I'd like to see them given more of a chance.

Andy74
20-06-2016, 12:01 PM
Our midfielders didn't score many goals last season, though.

We need options and we need cover.

Yep, better options and better cover.

nellio
20-06-2016, 12:21 PM

Aye that's what I saw. Most assists per time on he pitch. Scored a few goals as well. I stand by what I said. Easily good enough for this league.

KeithTheHibby
20-06-2016, 01:06 PM
Harris has a chance of making it into the first team given the fact that he does have pace and is a wide player and that is what we lacked last year.
It will be up to him to take his chance. Whether he does is up to him.

Stanton has a far bigger job ahead of him whatwith McGinn, McGeogh, Fyvie and Bartley all central midfielders. I wouldn't play Sam ahead of any of them as things stand.

Danny Handling doesn't offer much at all so I can see him leaving.

Edson Arantes
20-06-2016, 01:34 PM
Stanton - yes.

Harris - sorry, no.

Smartie
20-06-2016, 01:39 PM
I'm happy enough about this but it's basic common sense really.

Any incoming manager would be crazy not to evaluate all the current under-contract players before making a decision about who he keeps and who he gets rid of.

Personally I reckon we could really have done with them both when the fixtures were coming thick and fast last season.

Both players have proven they have something to offer at this level, albeit they've not done much with us.

CRAZYHIBBY
20-06-2016, 01:57 PM
Total waste of time Imo ...neither are good enough and should be looking for new clubs

jacomo
20-06-2016, 02:04 PM
Total waste of time Imo ...neither are good enough and should be looking for new clubs

This attitude drives me crazy.

Andy74
20-06-2016, 02:12 PM
This attitude drives me crazy.

Why? It's not really up to us, we just give opinions. Players are judged all the time, that's part of playing football.

If we had signed these players and they hadn't come through the ranks they would have been written off as flash in the pan failures a long time ago.

We need to be a bit more ruthless in the expectations we have of the quality of Hibs players and their ability to handle playing for us. These two have had quite a while to show they were of quality and they haven't really done that.

I'm pretty sure Lennon is just saying the right thing at this point. We might need them to be part of the squad until we get better in.

Deansy
20-06-2016, 02:15 PM
Hope they take this 2nd chance, especially Harris - never seen such a promising talent like his when he first came through and I really hope he makes it !!

jacomo
20-06-2016, 02:21 PM
Why? It's not really up to us, we just give opinions. Players are judged all the time, that's part of playing football.

If we had signed these players and they hadn't come through the ranks they would have been written off as flash in the pan failures a long time ago.

We need to be a bit more ruthless in the expectations we have of the quality of Hibs players and their ability to handle playing for us. These two have had quite a while to show they were of quality and they haven't really done that.

I'm pretty sure Lennon is just saying the right thing at this point. We might need them to be part of the squad until we get better in.

I'm all for them being judged. I imagine these two have a small window of opportunity to impress the new boss - if it doesn't happen by August, it probably won't happen.

What gets me is writing off our own players as 'never good enough' or 'a total waste of time' based on limited game time with us.

Hi Heid Yin
20-06-2016, 02:50 PM
Harris, I very much doubt, will get back to the speed and confidence levels of his brief heyday. Stanton has promise but never quite fulfilled it.

Lennon obviously wants to see them with his own eyes and give them the benefit of the doubt, but both have missed to much football at a crucial period in their development, and I suspect that this is merely a stay of execution.

Fervently hope I'm wrong though, as both have obvious talent and it would be good to see two of our own break through.

I agree. You saved me posting much the same.

JDT
20-06-2016, 02:55 PM
.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iprozfywQhc

Stanton deserves another chance purely for the goal he scores at around the 1:20 mark.

IberianHibernian
20-06-2016, 03:08 PM
Both scored a few goals for struggling teams while our midfielders hardly scored despite playing for one of the best teams in the division . Definitely deserve another chance .

KWJ
20-06-2016, 04:07 PM
Given they are under contract he was always going to give them pre season to have a look at them imo The teal crunch comes when he wants to bring a player in but maybe needs a few out on loan to make that happen
But up to the players to show the hunger and drive to to apply themselves when they get the chance
They have both played regularly at Championship Level so shouldn't take Lennon too long to make his mind up when he has seen them in a few games

Yup. They are both still under contract because they both became key players as soon as they got a run in the first team and were given lengthy deals on the back of this.

Last chance saloon for Harris and not many left for Stanton. Harris is helped by our lack of midfield width, it'll be a bit tougher for Stanton to prove why he should be ahead of McGeouch, McGinn, Bartley or Fyvie although he is the most like for like replacement for Henderson.

biotech
20-06-2016, 04:16 PM
Can't see either of them adding much to our midfield and likely to be squad players at best. Therefore, would be better to free up some wages for signings. However, they may be content to sit-out their contracts

Ozyhibby
20-06-2016, 04:26 PM
Neither player has a future at Hibs. Lennon just saying the right things ahead of training on Thursday.

Chip shop Joe
20-06-2016, 05:21 PM
I do wonder about some of the people on here. Let's get rid of a young laddie who was the leagues 2nd top scorer, not good enough!

Lets get get rid of a young laddie with the second most assists in the league last year (the only non sevcoite in the top 5, not good enough!

I think this cup win has turned us into world beaters😀

Eyrie
20-06-2016, 06:05 PM
No problem with a new manager giving Harris and Stanton yet another chance, but whilst I wish them well I'm also realistic enough not to expect anything to come of it.

Handling is in the same category.

eastterrace
20-06-2016, 06:34 PM
I do wonder about some of the people on here. Let's get rid of a young laddie who was the leagues 2nd top scorer, not good enough! Lets get get rid of a young laddie with the second most assists in the league last year (the only non sevcoite in the top 5, not good enough! I think this cup win has turned us into world beatersdde00 we need to set our sights higher than these couple off players, if this is what we are going with then get ready for another year down in this pishy league

jacomo
20-06-2016, 06:44 PM
we need to set our sights higher than these couple off players, if this is what we are going with then get ready for another year down in this pishy league

Nah not really.

Waxy
20-06-2016, 06:44 PM
Lets see if they've improved. We've a strong midfield now and it might bring out the best in them. They'll have to take this chance.

eastterrace
20-06-2016, 06:51 PM
Nah not really. nah not really its a pishy league or na not really these guys are good

staunchhibby
20-06-2016, 06:55 PM
New manager its his prerogative who stays and who goes.Fresh start for everybody.Good luck Sam and Boozy :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Scouse Hibee
20-06-2016, 06:59 PM
I fully expect he will watch them closely in training,bounce matches,give them some time in pre season games then.........

northstandhibby
20-06-2016, 07:10 PM
New manager its his prerogative who stays and who goes.Fresh start for everybody.Good luck Sam and Boozy :thumbsup::thumbsup:

:agree:

I really liked Sam Stanton when he was at ER. His raw talent was evident. He has a constant box to box engine and a decent physical presence. What let him down a bit was his passing at times and his shooting needed tuning. I am sure he will have developed while on loan and I am personally delighted to see him back and given another chance to shine.

As for young Alex he looked like he was going to be a Zico type player and he certainly deserves another chance also.

Good luck lads!

Glory Glory