PDA

View Full Version : The Hibs Club

TheHibsClub
18-06-2016, 08:01 PM
Just introducing ourselves - The Hibernian Supporters Association have taken the plunge and joined Hibs.net.

We'll not be bombarding you with news about our latest cabarets (although you're all very welcome to come along to them) but we will be using this profile to keep everyone interested updated with match day opening times, special events, updates on our sponsorship with HFC, deadlines for membership renewals etc etc.

http://hibsclub.co.uk/

Stax
18-06-2016, 08:09 PM
Just introducing ourselves - The Hibernian Supporters Association have taken the plunge and joined Hibs.net.

We'll not be bombarding you with news about our latest cabarets (although you're all very welcome to come along to them) but we will be using this profile to keep everyone interested updated with match day opening times, special events, updates on our sponsorship with HFC, deadlines for membership renewals etc etc.

Sorry pal you need tae Ken someone to sign you in if yer no a member....

:greengrin

Pretty Boy
18-06-2016, 08:13 PM
Welcome aboard.

fat freddy
18-06-2016, 08:15 PM
Mind and put your posts on a tray before you send them

Waxy
18-06-2016, 08:18 PM
I always had a couple of questions about the hibs club and no one has been able to answer.
What year was the hibs clubs first opened? And was the site for it picked as it is on the site of our original ground? (Or is was that just a coincidence?)

Stax
18-06-2016, 08:22 PM
And woe betide you if any round comes to more than a tenner..

Glory Lurker
18-06-2016, 08:23 PM

Yam.

Betty Boop
18-06-2016, 08:28 PM

:top marks

TheHibsClub
18-06-2016, 08:32 PM
I always had a couple of questions about the hibs club and no one has been able to answer.
What year was the hibs clubs first opened? And was the site for it picked as it is on the site of our original ground? (Or is was that just a coincidence?)

Club opened at Sunnyside in 1965 - previously located at Carlton Terrace, the granting of our first licence there was mentioned in the programme for the home leg against Djurgaarden in 1955.

The site itself is a happy coincidence as far as we know but we are working on getting a plaque put in the club to mark the original ground.

TheHibsClub
18-06-2016, 08:34 PM

:greengrin We're a far friendlier place these days!

TheHibsClub
18-06-2016, 08:35 PM

:greengrin In our defence the quality of the trays has improved in recent years!

Waxy
18-06-2016, 08:41 PM
Club opened at Sunnyside in 1965 - previously located at Carlton Terrace, the granting of our first licence there was mentioned in the programme for the home leg against Djurgaarden in 1955.

The site itself is a happy coincidence as far as we know but we are working on getting a plaque put in the club to mark the original ground.

Excellent thanks.

Craig_HFC
18-06-2016, 08:43 PM
Are you signing up to The Bounce as well?

Billy Whizz
18-06-2016, 08:58 PM
Never been in the Hibs club

TheHibsClub
18-06-2016, 09:15 PM
Are you signing up to The Bounce as well?

We will be.

TheHibsClub

You're more than welcome to pay us a visit!

Craig_HFC
We will be.

Excellent [emoji1303]

Billy Whizz
18-06-2016, 09:17 PM
You're more than welcome to pay us a visit!

Thanks

Baw187
18-06-2016, 09:20 PM
Only been in a few times but always had a decent night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronniekirk
18-06-2016, 09:25 PM

Geeze oh Billy I remember taking the kids through to the x mass party when they were tiny ,so thats over 26 years ago The wife hated it , but they were both there with me to see us lift the Scottish Cup ( any excuse to mention that [emoji471]).
Further back than that ,The Famous Fife Hibs Supporters Branch used to meet there
Haven't been inside For yonks though

sleeping giant
18-06-2016, 09:32 PM
I used to play football with a tied up scarf on the dance floor in there nearly 40 years ago.

FranckSuzy
18-06-2016, 09:36 PM
Thanks to the HSA for their generous donation towards Kicks for Kids STS. £750, for the second year running :aok: GGTTH

BroxburnHibee
18-06-2016, 09:41 PM
Pound each in the box please......

franks
18-06-2016, 09:52 PM
Member of the club since 1966 (juvenile) welcome to the net, many on here club members and a lot of potential members too.

The Harp
18-06-2016, 10:13 PM

Hilarious, well done!
I joined the supporters assoc. in'63 when they were based at 7 Carlton Terrace. Haven't been in Sunnyside for a few years but would be interested to hear what's happening

Bishop Hibee
18-06-2016, 10:16 PM
Joined a few weeks ago for the first time through the St Patrick's Branch. Been to many a good night there over the years though.

green day
18-06-2016, 10:39 PM
Hibs Club website suggests you can become a member by being part of a branch - and that Hibs.net is a branch.

Have I read that right?

David_D
18-06-2016, 11:10 PM
I was a member years ago but lapsed now. Thinking about signing up again how do you go about it?

Forza Fred
19-06-2016, 01:00 AM
First joined the Hibsclub in 1967, and still have a 1975 membership card in my possession, despite emigrating in 1974.

When holidaying in Auld Reekie it is/was my main drinking den.

Used to be like Fort Knox to get into on a wet Thursday night when there were no more than a dozen or so people inside though...hope it's changed in that regard.

Brizo
19-06-2016, 05:29 AM
Thinking about rejoining. Are "Fags n Matches" or the gadgie from the Brotherhood of Man still gigging or has the "cabaret" moved into the 1980s :greengrin

Pre smoking ban walking into the Hibs Club used to be like walking into a Fire Brigade training exercise , wall to wall smoke. Its improved hugely since then and not just because of that. There used to be a lot of animosity between the custodians of the Hibs Club and Hibernian FC but since the tin pot dictator Riley got the bullet, everyone seems to be pulling in the same direction.

Great place for a cheap pre match pint among great folk.

BT58
19-06-2016, 06:18 AM
Used to be a member of the Hawkhill (picnic branch). Auld Maud was a character and was forever getting us to dig deep by buying tickets etc. Is Eric still on the door ?? He always had masses o brylcream on his hair,a 60s throwback but a great guy.Just glad the smoking ban is in place as my eyes where always streaming( wall to wall smoke). Great nights in the past.Fags n Matches, jeezo they still doing it ??
Alas im now out of town but will hopefully pop in on match days. Whats the damage of a membership now ???
B

Finn2015
19-06-2016, 06:19 AM
Wouldn't mind joining myself. Could you outline joining and the process involved here?

Dashing Bob S
19-06-2016, 07:53 AM

Disappointed in you guys getting involved in this internet fad. It's a waste of time and it will never catch on. Keep it old skool.

Finn2015
19-06-2016, 08:09 AM
Wouldn't mind joining myself. Could you outline joining and the process involved here?

My bad just seen the link to your site

Ronniekirk
19-06-2016, 08:19 AM

There going to need to build an Extension at this rate There are more folk joining the Club per minute than buying Season Tickets Green Grin
I suggest they put Susan from Leith Links in charge of the Extension fund raising events

ronaldo7
19-06-2016, 08:53 AM

Great place for a pre/post match drink and the lassies in the food hub do a great job too.

mim
19-06-2016, 09:10 AM
Hilarious, well done!
I joined the supporters assoc. in'63 when they were based at 7 Carlton Terrace. Haven't been in Sunnyside for a few years but would be interested to hear what's happening

Me too. I was at the Royal High and used to nip along for a game of snooker after school most days. :flag:

Nakedmanoncrack
19-06-2016, 09:16 AM
I used to play football with a tied up scarf on the dance floor in there nearly 40 years ago.

The kind of behaviour seriously frowned upon by some ;-)

Club has got much better & is my preferred pre/post match venue, much changed since the days when it seemed like all petty rules & don't dare enjoy yourself.

DCI Gene Hunt
19-06-2016, 09:17 AM
Our family has had many a birthday/anniversary do at the Hibs Club over the years, always a good night out. Welcome aboard!

Gene

hibbie02
19-06-2016, 09:22 AM
I haven't been in there since the early 80's. It was always an interesting experience. I used to play pool in the Games room before matches. It was all lager, smoke and testosterone in there!

It was a bit of a culture clash between the old timers and the younger guys (in smart clothes :wink:). Coming out of there always felt great, due to copious lager and having the ability to breath again.

Judging by the website, things have certainly moved on a bit. May have to go and check it out next time I am in town...I'll need someone to sign me in though!

Scouse Hibee
19-06-2016, 09:28 AM
Been there twice,the first time it looked I had sat at someone's table!

TheHibsClub
19-06-2016, 06:07 PM
Thinking about rejoining. Are "Fags n Matches" or the gadgie from the Brotherhood of Man still gigging or has the "cabaret" moved into the 1980s :greengrin

Pre smoking ban walking into the Hibs Club used to be like walking into a Fire Brigade training exercise , wall to wall smoke. Its improved hugely since then and not just because of that. There used to be a lot of animosity between the custodians of the Hibs Club and Hibernian FC but since the tin pot dictator Riley got the bullet, everyone seems to be pulling in the same direction.

Great place for a cheap pre match pint among great folk.

:greengrin We're actually flirting with the 1990s now!

But we understand that Fags n Matches are still active and continue to gig in and around Edinburgh!

TheHibsClub
19-06-2016, 06:09 PM
Been there twice,the first time it looked I had sat at someone's table!

Definitely no reserved tables - although the vice chairman might give you a dirty look if you steal his normal Sunday night seat! Hopefully these days we're a lot friendlier!

TheHibsClub
19-06-2016, 06:10 PM
I haven't been in there since the early 80's. It was always an interesting experience. I used to play pool in the Games room before matches. It was all lager, smoke and testosterone in there!

It was a bit of a culture clash between the old timers and the younger guys (in smart clothes :wink:). Coming out of there always felt great, due to copious lager and having the ability to breath again.

Judging by the website, things have certainly moved on a bit. May have to go and check it out next time I am in town...I'll need someone to sign me in though!

Look forward to seeing you - and you no longer need a member to sign you in!

TheHibsClub
19-06-2016, 06:11 PM
There going to need to build an Extension at this rate There are more folk joining the Club per minute than buying Season Tickets Green Grin
I suggest they put Susan from Leith Links in charge of the Extension fund raising events

:thumbsup: FranckSuzy - it's over to you!

TheHibsClub
19-06-2016, 06:15 PM
Disappointed in you guys getting involved in this internet fad. It's a waste of time and it will never catch on. Keep it old skool.

Was a very tight vote - the modernisers only just got their way!

TheHibsClub
19-06-2016, 06:17 PM
Used to be a member of the Hawkhill (picnic branch). Auld Maud was a character and was forever getting us to dig deep by buying tickets etc. Is Eric still on the door ?? He always had masses o brylcream on his hair,a 60s throwback but a great guy.Just glad the smoking ban is in place as my eyes where always streaming( wall to wall smoke). Great nights in the past.Fags n Matches, jeezo they still doing it ??
Alas im now out of town but will hopefully pop in on match days. Whats the damage of a membership now ???
B

Unfortunately Eric is no longer with us. And there were many of us thinking of Maude as Hibs finally got their hands on the holy grail!

The smoke should no longer be an issue!

Cost depends on what branch you join - but very reasonable rates for out of town members, just ask for more info the next time you pop in!

Hibrandenburg
19-06-2016, 06:32 PM
I was a member of St Giles back in the 70's early 80's. My old man was treasurer and practically lived in there for years and I was always made welcome there when I came back to Edinburgh on leave. Some happy memories from the club and remember some right radges from St Giles.

Scouse Hibee
19-06-2016, 06:44 PM
Definitely no reserved tables - although the vice chairman might give you a dirty look if you steal his normal Sunday night seat! Hopefully these days we're a lot friendlier!

:greengrin :aok:

Jonnyboy
19-06-2016, 06:47 PM
Unfortunately Eric is no longer with us. And there were many of us thinking of Maude as Hibs finally got their hands on the holy grail!

Cost depends on what branch you join - but very reasonable rates for out of town members, just ask for more info the next time you pop in!

I was a Hawkhill member and travelled regularly on Maude's bus. In fact, my Dad only allowed me too because he knew Maude and her co-pilot Mrs Currie would look after me :greengrin

I recently joined the St Patrick's Branch but haven't yet used my shiny new membership card :thumbsup:

EastCalderHibby
19-06-2016, 07:08 PM
used to be a member years ago maudes hawkhill branch Fridays and Saturdays nights, fags and matches were the house band
my old man used to be in the central branch always selling the hibs totes no bad considering he was a tic fan GABBY if any of you older ones knew him
anyway spent many a good night in sunnyside:thumbsup:

Hibbyradge
19-06-2016, 07:20 PM
Maude McFarlane's green and white army!

Picnic branch ya bass!

FranckSuzy
19-06-2016, 07:26 PM
:thumbsup: FranckSuzy - it's over to you!

I think I have enough to do, thank you very much :greengrin

Risboro Hibby
19-06-2016, 08:23 PM
Like JohnnyBoy I travelled early seventies with Mrs Mac and Hawkhill as a laddie as my Mum was always happy that with Mrs Mac in charge she would keep an eye out for me

A wonderful lady and so sad she did not live to see us win the cup. My last memory of her was at the 2001 cup final. Even though I was at the other side of the stadium when Celtic scored their third I saw her very dignified pick up her walking stick and walk proudly out the stadium. A very legendary Hibs lady in my eyes.

Enough said
19-06-2016, 09:41 PM
Yam. Think your the YAM

Frazerbob
19-06-2016, 09:53 PM

What's the deal with out of town memberships?

monktonharp
19-06-2016, 10:32 PM
Like JohnnyBoy I travelled early seventies with Mrs Mac and Hawkhill as a laddie as my Mum was always happy that with Mrs Mac in charge she would keep an eye out for me

A wonderful lady and so sad she did not live to see us win the cup. My last memory of her was at the 2001 cup final. Even though I was at the other side of the stadium when Celtic scored their third I saw her very dignified pick up her walking stick and walk proudly out the stadium. A very legendary Hibs lady in my eyes.:agree:very sad that Auld Maude never saw us win the cup, like many stalwarts that we know but she was an ever present home and away fan until not long before she passed. I was never on her bus, but knew her from the club, nippin' my heid to but a ticket of some sort every time:greengrin

Forza Fred
19-06-2016, 10:35 PM
Early 70's I was a member of the Carlton branch and with no pubs open on a Sunday it was packed on Sunday nights.

I used to have to get an advance 'visitor's pass' to get my burd in.

Fell foul of authorit just before leaving for Oz, and was 'charged' with 'refusing to drink up when requested'..despite everybody else in the main hall having three full pints in front of them!

Suspended for 3 months, until at the appeal when it was pointed that someone had only got 6 weeks suspension a few weeks earlier for putting the head on the chairman!

There was no doubt at that time that what was considered 'the younger brigade' were tolerated as a necessary evil, as opposed to being welcomed with open arms.

Still claim I was innocent by the way...a travesty I tell Ye, a travesty of justice!

monktonharp
19-06-2016, 10:50 PM
Early 70's I was a member of the Carlton branch and with no pubs open on a Sunday it was packed on Sunday nights.

Fell foul of authorit just before leaving for Oz, and was 'charged' with 'refusing to drink up when requested'..despite everybody else in the main hall having three full pints in front of them!

Suspended for 3 months, until at the appeal when it was pointed that someone had only got 6 weeks suspension a few weeks earlier for putting the head on the chairman!

There was no doubt at that time that what was considered 'the younger brigade' were tolerated as a necessary evil, as opposed to being welcomed with open arms.

Still claim I was innocent by the way...a travesty I tell Ye, a travesty of justice!as far as I know, your still barred:wink:

The Harp
19-06-2016, 11:19 PM
I was a Hawkhill member and travelled regularly on Maude's bus. In fact, my Dad only allowed me too because he knew Maude and her co-pilot Mrs Currie would look after me :greengrin

I recently joined the St Patrick's Branch but haven't yet used my shiny new membership card :thumbsup:

Ah, Mrs Currie what a lovely woman she was. Never knew her first name but she lived just round the corner from where I stayed before I got married. I was a St Giles branch member back then and remember she always found time to stop in the street for lengthy chats about her beloved Hibs. She told me it was her brothers (think she had a few of them) who got her interested in football. She was certainly dedicated to the cause and a nicer lady you couldn't meet.
I've been meaning to join the St Patrick's Branch too but haven't got round to doing it yet

Forza Fred
20-06-2016, 01:17 AM

A wonderful lady and so sad she did not live to see us win the cup. My last memory of her was at the 2001 cup final. Even though I was at the other side of the stadium when Celtic scored their third I saw her very dignified pick up her walking stick and walk proudly out the stadium. A very legendary Hibs lady in my eyes.

I was lucky enough to be back for Ivan's hat trick at Ibrox, and was seated next to Maude and Wattie Robb...neither of those great Hibbies are still with us.

Maude had difficulty getting about, and was getting more and more pee'd off with the younger guys who kept standing up blocking her views the match progressed....and even at that age she let them know what she thought!

HIBERNIAN-0762
20-06-2016, 08:21 AM
I was a member of St Giles back in the 70's early 80's. My old man was treasurer and practically lived in there for years and I was always made welcome there when I came back to Edinburgh on leave. Some happy memories from the club and remember some right radges from St Giles.

Noje, Ben, Fergie, Big Lenny etc?

aussie_hibee
20-06-2016, 08:24 AM

Post of the year for me......!

aussie_hibee
20-06-2016, 08:26 AM

Some cracking memories for me in that place as I spent most of my childhood running riot in there as my gran ran the bar and my mum worked there also. Spent many a day after school booting a ball about on the dance floor....

Hibrandenburg
21-06-2016, 09:01 AM
Noje, Ben, Fergie, Big Lenny etc?

Aye, they were the last of the scarfers. We were normally the last bus out of anywhere because there would always be at least 1 bam who got arrested.

Some of the songs that were made up on the way to games were just hilarious, most didn't make it to the terrace but I can still remember quite a few of the alcohol induced lyrics.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-06-2016, 09:29 AM
I remember having the jackpot ticket the same week I told Maude I wouldnae be going back on her bus, went to get the dough the following week to be informed that she thought I would just keep the ticket money if I hadnae got any winners and then referred to me as a Jambo whenever she saw me subsequently in the club which I found a bit odd! :-)

Forza Fred
21-06-2016, 09:38 AM
Aye, they were the last of the scarfers. We were normally the last bus out of anywhere because there would always be at least 1 bam who got arrested.

Some of the songs that were made up on the way to games were just hilarious, most didn't make it to the terrace but I can still remember quite a few of the alcohol induced lyrics.

Brodie per chance?

Craig_HFC
21-06-2016, 10:07 AM
My fiancee's Gran worked behind the bar for years & her Dad used to be the resident DJ for functions etc.

A lot of you will probably remember her Gran; her name was Margaret McGinley & then she married John Murphy who also worked in the Club for a bit (but is a Jambo).

Hibrandenburg
21-06-2016, 10:16 AM
Brodie per chance?

Can't remember all the names mate, the mists of time are getting ever thicker.

H18S NX
21-06-2016, 11:06 AM
been a member since the 70's but only go there once a year perhaps.

1875Sean
21-06-2016, 11:42 AM
My fav place to go post/pre match, always wanted become a member however as before not in a branch and don't know anyone who is who can fill the other part of the form out

Golden Bear
21-06-2016, 12:37 PM
I presume the Hibs Club is run as a profit making business and any profits will go towards the running costs of the various Supporters Branches?

TheHibsClub
21-06-2016, 12:58 PM
I presume the Hibs Club is run as a profit making business and any profits will go towards the running costs of the various Supporters Branches?

Yes, we're run as a profit making business with profits being used for maintenance and upkeep of the club and, of course, to support Hibs - that includes our donations to Leith Links, player sponsorship, half time draw sponsorship, programme advertising etc and, last year, a £15000 donation to HSL.

HIBERNIAN-0762
21-06-2016, 12:58 PM

Fergie was a genius at them! some of them of course unprintable on a family site like this...:wink:

HIBERNIAN-0762
21-06-2016, 12:59 PM
My fiancee's Gran worked behind the bar for years & her Dad used to be the resident DJ for functions etc.

A lot of you will probably remember her Gran; her name was Margaret McGinley & then she married John Murphy who also worked in the Club for a bit (but is a Jambo).

I remember Margaret well, a very nice lady.

Lancs Harp
21-06-2016, 03:35 PM

Still claim I was innocent by the way...a travesty I tell Ye, a travesty of justice!

Ive read about deporting criminals to Australia in the old days but a deportation for not drinking up when requested is a bit draconian.

Stantons Angel
21-06-2016, 07:41 PM
I remember Margaret well, a very nice lady.

i remember Margaret & John very well. I was invited to their wedding, just after the Hibs won the league cup in 1991, i couldnt make it as i was in bed for a week with a migraine after that final!

Went on a couple of trips abroad with them too. Good fun had by all.

Stantons Angel
21-06-2016, 08:16 PM

I travelled on the Hawkhill bus with Maude & Mrs Curry in the 60s and 70s and again in the 90's with my son, till illness stopped her running the bus. There was never a dull moment when Maude was around. She was a good long time friend of mine.

When the final whistle went at the cup final and after i was able to peel my son off me in his celebrations, she was one of the first people i thought off. She would have been so chuffed at the team winning that day. Another old Hawkhill member who is 106yrs old, the one and only Sammy Martinez is so lucky that he was able to see them win it in his lifetime.

Her and Wattie Robb would be smiling down on us that day for sure!

Nakedmanoncrack
21-06-2016, 08:24 PM
I travelled on the Hawkhill bus with Maude & Mrs Curry in the 60s and 70s and again in the 90's with my son, till illness stopped her running the bus. There was never a dull moment when Maude was around. She was a good long time friend of mine.

When the final whistle went at the cup final and after i was able to peel my son off me in his celebrations, she was one of the first people i thought off. She would have been so chuffed at the team winning that day. Another old Hawkhill member who is 106yrs old, the one and only Sammy Martinez is so lucky that he was able to see them win it in his lifetime.

Her and Wattie Robb would be smiling down on us that day for sure!

Somehow I doubt the post-match on-pitch antics would have met with Maude's approval though :greengrin

Big L
21-06-2016, 11:30 PM
I was a member thru the 70's. My old man had something to do with the running of Central branch. I remember getting barred for 6 months for fighting, which was joke because I could nae fight sleep. I appealed and was told it would only have been 3 months if I had nae taken so long to put the guy away! they thought it was funny!

Forza Fred
22-06-2016, 12:56 AM
Ive read about deporting criminals to Australia in the old days but a deportation for not drinking up when requested is a bit draconian.

Ardenttwo
22-06-2016, 06:07 AM

You need to give it a visit. Great atmosphere and friendly members. My son went there along with hundreds of Aberdeen fans when we played them and they all loved it. Upstairs for away fans were made very welcome (except for the usual suspects) who would not be welcome in pig pens