PDA

View Full Version : Football Ultras

Keith_M
18-06-2016, 07:37 AM
Does anybody else feel sick of so-called 'Ultras'?

The very word itself suggests a deluded feeling of self importance but they appear to have also embraced a culture of intimidation and violence.

It appears that the most important thing is not the Club or Country they follow but how they outdo the other groups of Ultras in their childish displays of attentions seeking, e.g. the large number of pyrotechnics that caused the Croatia game to be delayed. Not only that but the Croatian 'Ultras' attacked fellow Croatians and ignored appeals for calm from the Croatian Players.

The worst of the violence at the EM so far has been cause by these people, whether Russian, French, Croatian or whatever. This is a fairly regular occurrence in countries where the 'Ultras' are fairly well established, like here in Germany, where many people are becoming heartily sick of them.

Flag displays and attempts to improve the atmosphere at games is one thing, these people are something else entirely.

Dashing Bob S
18-06-2016, 07:43 AM

The very word itself suggests a deluded feeling of self importance but they appear to have also embraced a culture of intimidation and violence.

It appears that the most important thing is not the Club or Country they follow but how they outdo the other groups of Ultras in their childish displays of attentions seeking, e.g. the large number of pyrotechnics that caused the Croatia game to be delayed. Not only that but the Croatian 'Ultras' attacked fellow Croatians and ignored appeals for calm from the Croatian Players.

The worst of the violence at the EM so far has been cause by these people, whether Russian, French, Croatian or whatever. This is a fairly regular occurrence in countries where the 'Ultras' are fairly well established, like here in Germany, where many people are becoming heartily sick of them.

Flag displays and attempts to improve the atmosphere at games is one thing, these people are something else entirely.

I agree entirely. Change the name to 'casuals' and get rid of those silly flags and flares and substitute knuckle-dusters. THEN we got ourselves a party - 80's style.

Since90+2
18-06-2016, 07:45 AM

Cant agree with this.

Most Ultras bring a noise passion and colour that would be lacking from football if they did not exist. Since 1875 and Hibs are a prime example, your run of the mill game at Easter Road would be like a morgue if it wasn't for them. I'm sure Celtic fans would say the same about Celtic Park and the Green Brigade.

You do have a few bams in amongst them but that's always been the case with football.

Viva_Palmeiras
18-06-2016, 07:48 AM
I blame the seats

hibsbollah
18-06-2016, 08:11 AM
A fundamental misunderstanding here; An Ultra does not automatically mean violent or racist. Many European clubs have ultra heads on their boards to ensure fans' concerns get taken into account, if the UK had an Ultra model of supporters groups things like the last minute uncompensated rescheduling of games to suit TV companies wouldn't be allowed to happen.

And of course, England fans remain near the very top of a list of 'fans to avoid' if you're on holiday abroad, and they have no ultra culture at all.

DC_Hibs
18-06-2016, 08:39 AM
Pretty ill informed and a complete disregard for the different between Ultras and Hooligans....albeit theree's plenty Ultras who like a rammy.
How the **** you can tag those Russkies as Ultras only you will know!!

Was at Hajduk Split/Dinamo Zagreb in April and they had segregation between two groups of Zagreb in the away end who had a scrap on the way down - difference of opinion over their president.
There's a lot of discontent over alleged corruption in Croatian football and yesterday was supposed to be a protest against that.

green&left
18-06-2016, 08:49 AM

They're *** brilliant. Mon the ultras

Bristolhibby
18-06-2016, 08:55 AM
Pretty ill informed and a complete disregard for the different between Ultras and Hooligans....albeit theree's plenty Ultras who like a rammy.
How the **** you can tag those Russkies as Ultras only you will know!!

Was at Hajduk Split/Dinamo Zagreb in April and they had segregation between two groups of Zagreb in the away end who had a scrap on the way down - difference of opinion over their president.
There's a lot of discontent over alleged corruption in Croatian football and yesterday was supposed to be a protest against that.

Thought as much. Hung out with a group of Hajduk lads before the last Croatia v Scotland game in Zagreb, back then they were speaking of the discontent amongst the fans. Was also the reason for the pathetic crowd that day from the home support.

J

HappyHanlon
18-06-2016, 10:14 AM
I've been to games abroad and the ultra scene is very popular. Clubs endorse it. There's a huge difference between casuals and ultras.

If done right it can be spectacular. Dortmund being one example.

Since1875Hibs
18-06-2016, 10:41 AM
What a narrow minded rant.

Have you any idea what the Croats have had to endure as a result of their corrupt organisation.

Keith_M
18-06-2016, 11:05 AM
I love a lively debate, with reasoned positions put over logically by both sides

:greengrin

Keith_M
18-06-2016, 11:07 AM

Have you any idea what the Croats have had to endure as a result of their corrupt organisation.

What would you call condoning violence on fellow fans and illegal use of possibly dangerous pyrotechnics that cause a game to be delayed on safety grounds?

HibsNutter
18-06-2016, 11:21 AM
To me an ultra isn't a hooligan but someone part of a group trying to generate an atmosphere inside a stadium. See Borrussia Dortmund, or even or own singing section.

DH1875
18-06-2016, 11:23 AM

No excuse for attacking your own though.

I actually don't have a problem if two groups of guys want to knock seven bells out of each other. It's the attacking of rival fans who aren't interested in this kind of thing and only out for a good time that's a joke. As for attacking your own fans, total farce and makes a mockery of the whole casual/ultra thing in my opinion. And while it's strictly true that casuals and ultras aren't the same thing and all ultras aren't casuals you'll find that most casuals across Europe are ultras. Ultras have more power and say so than casuals could ever dream off and that includes the running/allowance of the casuals within the club and stadium.

hibs69
18-06-2016, 11:26 AM
Don't mess with the Leicester City people....... Ultrafox.

Hi Heid Yin
18-06-2016, 11:56 AM
Whatever happened to the YLT?:greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
18-06-2016, 12:05 PM

There is definitely more to what happened yesterday and in previous matches involving Croatia than just mindless hooliganism. Though there does appear to be a small number of 'right wing' nutters that follow the national team, a lot of the trouble appears to be an orchestrated campaign against corruption within the Croatian FA.

This has become so explosive that the whole domestic scene is practically falling apart with fans of Hajduk Split accusing the FA of actively favouring Dinamo Zagreb at every turn and Dinamo, as far as I can make out, being run like a mini one man dictatorship by its president and even banning hundreds of their own fans who disagree with him? .............. these two clubs aside the rest of Croatian football appears to be an afterthought, sounds familiar.

The flares and 'allegedly' the Nazi and right wing flags and banners are being employed by some of the protesting fans in an attempt to get UEFA to turn its attention to the Croatian FA in the hope that corruption within that organisation will be addressed along with any punishment handed out.

Edson Arantes
18-06-2016, 12:23 PM
Whatever happened to the YLT?:greengrin

Blast from the past.

Broken Gnome
18-06-2016, 05:47 PM
Away from whatever the Croats were doing, is it not fair to say Hungary don't really need to celebrate a goal with smoke and explosions?

Hakim Sar
18-06-2016, 05:53 PM
Away from whatever the Croats were doing, is it not fair to say Hungary don't really need to celebrate a goal with smoke and explosions?

After all the rhetoric around heightened security for the tournament, and after witnessing how apparently easy it is to smuggle in fireworks smoke bombs firecrackers and flares past the 'rings of steel' security checks, I have to say there is a really horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach that says we are sleepwalking into an isis disaster where about 3 thousand people could be killed.

The security is clearly so blasé that a disaster probably can't be averted.

Keith_M
18-06-2016, 05:58 PM
OK, in response to the poster that mentioned Croatia's corruption and accused me of making a 'mindless rant', I had a look into some of the issues with the Croatian FA. Unlike most, I actually know some Croatians, which made it a bit easier.

Yes, the Croatian FA appear to be corrupt. Yes they should be replaced. No, I don't think that attacking fellow fans and throwing pyrotechnics onto the pitch with the purpose of getting the game abandoned is the right way to go about that.

However, my complaint is not against a Croatian group but against the Ultras in general, and what they have become. They may have started off as a group of like minded Fans that wanted to improve the atmosphere at games but they have become so much more than that.

In far too many cases, these are now criminal groups that care more about their own reputation than they do about the Club or Country they claim to support. Many Ultras are now involved in large scale violence (see the current Euro Championships for examples), political agendas (many far-right groups,e.g. in Russia, plus groups like the Green Brigade, glorifying the IRA) and attacks on Police.

I supported the Singing Section at ER and then Section 43 and personally don't consider them to be anything like the real 'Ultras'... for which I'm very grateful.

lobster
18-06-2016, 06:32 PM
The problem is not the ultras as such but the takeover of ultras movements around Europe by the extreme populist right wing

Pete
18-06-2016, 06:42 PM
I remember back in the day when they were called 65i's. They're slightly bigger and harder nowadays.