PDA

View Full Version : Best hibs related books

Finn2015
17-06-2016, 06:09 PM
Mine are we are Hibernian by Andy Macvannan and there is a bonny fitba team by Ted Brack. Got to admit the two books by CCS members Derek dykes and Andy blance were interesting reads to. Any others that people have enjoyed? Unfortunately, doesn't seem a great deal of books on hibs

MSK
17-06-2016, 06:21 PM
Mine are we are Hibernian by Andy Macvannan and there is a bonny fitba team by Ted Brack. Got to admit the two books by CCS members Derek dykes and Andy blance were interesting reads to. Any others that people have enjoyed? Unfortunately, doesn't seem a great deal of books on hibshibs.nets very own John Campbell has two excellent books, In Colours Green and White and At Easter Road They Play 👍

Mr White
17-06-2016, 06:24 PM
I'm halfway through the biography of Erich Shaedler that was released a few years back. Lawrie Reilly and Eddie Turbull's autobiographies are also excellent. As are ted brack and John campbell's books as mentioned above of course.

Tom Hart RIP
17-06-2016, 06:29 PM
I liked Simon Pia's Sunshine on Leith, but have enjoyed all Hibs related books

KWJ
17-06-2016, 06:47 PM
Mine are we are Hibernian by Andy Macvannan and there is a bonny fitba team by Ted Brack. Got to admit the two books by CCS members Derek dykes and Andy blance were interesting reads to. Any others that people have enjoyed? Unfortunately, doesn't seem a great deal of books on hibs

Thought the Andy Blance book was awful. Hibs Boy?

At the start he says how he's an intelligent guy and how fighting is a release and those that don't want to fight don't get hurt.

He then goes on to say how they gave a security guard at St. James a experience that he will have not forgotten, attacked any Dunfermline fan they saw around the high street court and had planted petrol bombs to throw at a train to Aberdeen.

Disgusting and I had to stop reading about half way through.

The writing was pretty woeful too.

As for good Hibs books I'd say Last Minute Reilly, 100 Years of Hibs and the George Best at Hibs book were all very entertaining.

emerald green
17-06-2016, 06:57 PM
Gordon Smith - Prince of Wingers. Told by his son Tony Smith, and foreword by Lawrie Reilly.

One of football's all-time greats. A must read for any Hibs supporter.

Mr White
17-06-2016, 07:00 PM
Gordon Smith - Prince of Wingers. Told by his son Tony Smith, and foreword by Lawrie Reilly.

One of football's all-time greats. A must read for any Hibs supporter.

Great book :agree:

I enjoyed bobby johnstone the passing of an age too. Being told from a man city fans perspective gave it a different slant to the others.

emerald green
17-06-2016, 07:07 PM
Great book :agree:

I enjoyed bobby johnstone the passing of an age too. Being told from a man city fans perspective gave it a different slant to the others.

:aok: I've not read the book on Bobby Johnstone. I'll look out for that one.

SON OF PADDY
17-06-2016, 07:15 PM
Been trying to get my hands on 100 years of Hibs, anyone got a copy can't seem to find it anywhere.

Billy Whizz
17-06-2016, 07:17 PM
hibs.nets very own John Campbell has two excellent books, In Colours Green and White and At Easter Road They Play 👍

Got signed copies of them, could do with an update John😄

G B Young
17-06-2016, 07:25 PM
Pat Stanton - The Quiet Man, as told to Simon Pia

Hibernian Greats by Stewart Brown

Finn2015
17-06-2016, 07:26 PM
Thanks lads some good ones there

G B Young
17-06-2016, 07:30 PM
Been trying to get my hands on 100 years of Hibs, anyone got a copy can't seem to find it anywhere.

Hard to get hold of. I came across one in a second-hand bookshop and it's not bad (the inscription on the inside cover says 'Merry Christmas 1974 to James, from Uncle Tommy and Aunt Theresa if that rings any bells with anyone on here?). It shows how far the club fell from the mid-70s onwards when you read the introduction which concludes with something along the lines of 'after fourth, third and second place finishes in the league, what price a first title win for more than 20 years in Hibs' centenary year?'

SuperAllyMcleod
17-06-2016, 07:32 PM
Thought the Andy Blance book was awful. Hibs Boy?

At the start he says how he's an intelligent guy and how fighting is a release and those that don't want to fight don't get hurt.

He then goes on to say how they gave a security guard at St. James a experience that he will have not forgotten, attacked any Dunfermline fan they saw around the high street court and had planted petrol bombs to throw at a train to Aberdeen.

Disgusting and I had to stop reading about half way through.

The writing was pretty woeful too.

As for good Hibs books I'd say Last Minute Reilly, 100 Years of Hibs and the George Best at Hibs book were all very entertaining.

I totally agree with you on Hibs Boy. I got about 40 pages in when, on opposing pages, he accused Dunfermline fans for being cowardly because they ganged up on a Hibs fan before going on to describe how they used two lassies to lure a Dunfermline fan into a trap before giving him a good hiding! I stopped reading at that point.

Not all that impressed by There is a Bonny Fitba Team either to be honest - he kept describing games that I'd been to while he had watched them on the telly!

I'd stick to John McKay's books and the player biographies - particularly enjoyed Shades.

Finn2015
17-06-2016, 07:43 PM
Fair enough take the point about hibs boy. I think any general hooligans book has to be taken with a pinch of salt. The usual 'we were outnumbered but they ran' sort of stuff.

SON OF PADDY
17-06-2016, 08:19 PM
Hard to get hold of. I came across one in a second-hand bookshop and it's not bad (the inscription on the inside cover says 'Merry Christmas 1974 to James, from Uncle Tommy and Aunt Theresa if that rings any bells with anyone on here?). It shows how far the club fell from the mid-70s onwards when you read the introduction which concludes with something along the lines of 'after fourth, third and second place finishes in the league, what price a first title win for more than 20 years in Hibs' centenary year?'

That's probably my best chance second hand or charity shops.

brog
17-06-2016, 08:31 PM
Mine are we are Hibernian by Andy Macvannan and there is a bonny fitba team by Ted Brack. Got to admit the two books by CCS members Derek dykes and Andy blance were interesting reads to. Any others that people have enjoyed? Unfortunately, doesn't seem a great deal of books on hibsThere's dozens of books on Hibs, I think I have 20+ myself. Despite playing a small part in the writing/publication of 100 years of Hibs & enjoying Jonnyboy's books greatly, I think most People would agree Alan Lugton's trilogy are the definitive books on Hibs, until 1945 when John takes over!

Bobo
17-06-2016, 08:34 PM
That's probably my best chance second hand or charity shops.

There's 2 copies on Ebay at the moment, not cheap though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Books-Comics-Magazines/267/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=100+years+of+Hibs

Bostonhibby
17-06-2016, 08:38 PM
https://www.amazon.co.uk/100-Years-Hibs-1875-1975/dp/0859760073/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1466195752&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=100+years+of+hibs

On Amazon as well, not cheap but its a hard one to get hold of.

I agree re Alan Lugtons marvellous books, read them three or four times.

.Sean.
17-06-2016, 08:39 PM
I've got both (or my old man) copies of the John Nscksy books from the 80s. Need to dig them out. I remember reading the older one yonks ago. Is one just an updated version??

MSK
17-06-2016, 08:47 PM

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Books-Comics-Magazines/267/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=100+years+of+HibsIve got The Making Of Hibernian part 1 from Alan Lugton, excellent read too, as an aside, there are a couple o scary prices on there for hibs books 😵

KNBE
17-06-2016, 08:53 PM
I was disappointed with Ted Brack's book which I thought was cliche after cliche. It's got a memorably dull anecdote about waiting for a jannie to close a window

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Tapatalk

KNBE
17-06-2016, 08:55 PM
....waiting for a jannie to close a window nearly making him miss the beginning of a game in TV.

I've got David Farrell's book on my to read pile and have heard good things about it.

The Harp
17-06-2016, 08:56 PM

Nice thread but can't agree that there aren't many books on Hibs. Until the publication of 100 Years of Hibs, I had no books on the Club at all - I now have 33 of them, either about the Club itself or about players associated with us - and there are quite a few books out there that I don't have.
The pick of them all for me must be Alan Lugton's trilogy. I know how much of a labour of love this was for him. The amount of time and effort he put into his research and writing was phenomenal. Another first class read IMO is the excellent book on Gordon Smith, by his son Tony. And Budgie's autobiography is well worth a read for the humour alone.

Pretty Boy
17-06-2016, 09:00 PM
What's the deal with ownership/copyright of Lugtons books? There always seems to be a relative demand for them and they trade for some big prices when they become available.

Wonder if there's an opportunity there for Hibs to get some reissues out.

Finn2015
17-06-2016, 09:04 PM
Nice thread but can't agree that there aren't many books on Hibs. Until the publication of 100 Years of Hibs, I had no books on the Club at all - I now have 33 of them, either about the Club itself or about players associated with us - and there are quite a few books out there that I don't have.
The pick of them all for me must be Alan Lugton's trilogy. I know how much of a labour of love this was for him. The amount of time and effort he put into his research and writing was phenomenal. Another first class read IMO is the excellent book on Gordon Smith, by his son Tony. And Budgie's autobiography is well worth a read for the humour alone.

Great stuff maybe I should expand my search wider than the kindle I have. Thanks for the tips all

SON OF PADDY
18-06-2016, 04:20 AM

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Books-Comics-Magazines/267/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=100+years+of+Hibs

Cheers for that, I now know why there's not a lot kicking around !!! That's to expensive for me I'm afraid.

Pete
18-06-2016, 04:45 AM
If I'm taking the fairly recent behaviour of the author into account when judging books I'll come to the conclusion that Simon Pia can stick his books about Hibernian up his erse.

Brizo
18-06-2016, 05:47 AM
Alan Lugtons trilogy is excellent combining the early history of the club with the social history around it. The Lawrie Reilly book and the 7 - 0 book (forget title) both written by Ted Brack are other favourites plus Pat Stantons autobiography from quite a while back.

I was told that "100 years of Hibs" which was quite a slim volume had originally been much bigger but had been edited down on the insistence of Tom Hart. Be interesting to know if theres any truth in that ?

I found John Campbells first book dry and dull so didn't bother with the subsequent one. Stat after stat with little in the way of anecdote or a wider sense of Edinburgh at the time. There was a great opportunity to interview players and fans from the post war era, who if still around wont be for much longer, but he didn't which I thought was an opportunity missed.

Depor Hibs
18-06-2016, 07:27 AM
Possibly for older fans "The Fabulous Baker Boys" by Tom Maxwell, about (no surprise) Joe and Gerry Baker.

Some interesting tales.

therealgavmac
18-06-2016, 08:03 AM
1 Copy available of 100 Years of Hibs £28 + £2.80 p+p on Amazon....

Link..... https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0859760073/ref=dp_olp_used_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=used

brog
18-06-2016, 08:08 AM
Alan Lugtons trilogy is excellent combining the early history of the club with the social history around it. The Lawrie Reilly book and the 7 - 0 book (forget title) both written by Ted Brack are other favourites plus Pat Stantons autobiography from quite a while back.

I was told that "100 years of Hibs" which was quite a slim volume had originally been much bigger but had been edited down on the insistence of Tom Hart. Be interesting to know if theres any truth in that ?

I found John Campbells first book dry and dull so didn't bother with the subsequent one. Stat after stat with little in the way of anecdote or a wider sense of Edinburgh at the time. There was a great opportunity to interview players and fans from the post war era, who if still around wont be for much longer, but he didn't which I thought was an opportunity missed.

i can confirm that 100 years of Hibs was considerably edited down but I doubt it had very much to do with Tom Hart. The book was a merger of 2 separate pieces of work by 2 separate authors so was in different styles & over bulky. The editing was done by Stewart Brown, ex of EEN. Certainly Hibs, effectively & actively marketed the book as it was #1 in the Scottish charts for 2 weeks when released near Xmas in 1975.

Ilovehibs
18-06-2016, 08:11 AM
I've heard Ted Brack's got a book coming out very soon about the Scottish Cup win. Bring it on. That's the holiday read sorted. :flag:

Finn2015
18-06-2016, 08:20 AM
I've heard Ted Brack's got a book coming out very soon about the Scottish Cup win. Bring it on. That's the holiday read sorted. :flag:

That would be great and I'm sure we might see a few books related to it. Would read it over and over lol

Spike Mandela
18-06-2016, 08:27 AM
https://www.amazon.co.uk/100-Years-Hibs-1875-1975/dp/0859760073/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1466195752&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=100+years+of+hibs

On Amazon as well, not cheap but its a hard one to get hold of.

I agree re Alan Lugtons marvellous books, read them three or four times.

I've got 100 years of Hibs in the loft somewhere, must dig it out. £100 hmmmmm:cb

My favourite reads were Eddie Turnbull's autobiography and 'Heartfelt' Aidan Smith's interesting and amusing book where he as a Hibs fan spent a year following Hearts.

Spike Mandela
18-06-2016, 08:29 AM
I was disappointed with Ted Brack's book which I thought was cliche after cliche. It's got a memorably dull anecdote about waiting for a jannie to close a window

I agree. Found it very dull, sorry Ted.

Ilovehibs
18-06-2016, 11:34 AM
I agree. Found it very dull, sorry Ted.

Don't think the story of the cup win will be dull though...the more we get to read about That day the better eh! :aok:

heretoday
18-06-2016, 12:06 PM
There seem to be more books about Hibs than Hearts.

I have a copy of The Hearts By Albert Mackie - unfortunately without the original paper cover - in which there are some great old photos including one of McNamee scoring for Celtic in the early 60s. The author pays huge respect to Hibs and Edinburgh football in general.

I can't be doing with books about fighting in the streets. That's got nothing to do with Hibs IMO.

Finn2015
18-06-2016, 12:35 PM
There seem to be more books about Hibs than Hearts.

I have a copy of The Hearts By Albert Mackie - unfortunately without the original paper cover - in which there are some great old photos including one of McNamee scoring for Celtic in the early 60s. The author pays huge respect to Hibs and Edinburgh football in general.

I can't be doing with books about fighting in the streets. That's got nothing to do with Hibs IMO.

I'm not a hooligan or condone it either but it is something to do with hibs. Like it or not, the CCS were hibs supporters and while I don't condone their activities, it is at least something to do with fans history over the last few decades. If it's not for you then fair enough, anyone is entitled to read or not read what they want but if people want to discuss it then fair enough.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
18-06-2016, 12:50 PM
I'm not a hooligan or condone it either but it is something to do with hibs. Like it or not, the CCS were hibs supporters and while I don't condone their activities, it is at least something to do with fans history over the last few decades. If it's not for you then fair enough, anyone is entitled to read or not read what they want but if people want to discuss it then fair enough.

Agree wirh this.

My problen with them is they are usually just crap books. Tabloid style, and i cant read one without hearing danny dyers voice in my head.

Incidentally, football factory the book was a really good read for a 'casual' book.

Got derek dykes book, but didnt even bother finishing it, was rubbish.

I would say there is a very good book waiting to be written about casuals

Hiber-nation
18-06-2016, 01:02 PM
I liked Simon Pia's Sunshine on Leith, but have enjoyed all Hibs related books

My favourite, along with the Lugton books and The Quiet Man. Love hearing the stories from all these legends from the past, Mickey Weir's chapter is brilliant.

Don't really like Ted Brack's stuff although I've got them all and the Andy McVannan is my least favourite, far too many really uninteresting people who hardly go to games, a missed chance when you consider some of the true Hibs fans with great stories to tell.

Green Man
18-06-2016, 01:03 PM
I really enjoyed Eddie Turnbull's autobiography, it was very easy to read and had the feel of sitting listening to Eddie tell the story. Budgie's autobiography is excellent as well - different in style to Eddie's but equally interesting.

fat freddy
18-06-2016, 01:29 PM
I started a list of Hibs books on a different thread around 3 or 4 years ago. There's been a few more added since then but the list proves that Hibs fans are better read than most other supports. The Yams have one book, Gary McKay : searching for silver.

100 years of hibs by gerry docherty and phil thomson

the hibees by john mackay

hibernian, the easter rd story by john mckay

the quiet man by pat stanton

hibernian in the days of the famous 5 by tom wright

life and times of last minute reilly by lawrie reilly

gordon smith, prince of wingers by tony smith

bobby johnstone, the passing of an age by john leigh

having a ball by eddie turnbull

hibs dream team by pat stanton

sunshine on leith by simon pia

from the cowshed to the kop by peter cormack

budgie by john burridge

theres only one sauzee by ted brack

the game on new years day by ted brack

the hibernian miscellany by bobby sinnet

at easter road they play by john campbell

when george came to town by john munro

we are hibernian by andy macvannan

hibernian from baker to turnbull by tom wright

the hibs story by mike wilson

hibernian players and managers by jim jeffrey

hibernian greats by jim jeffrey

the making of hibernian volume one by alan lugton

the making of hibernian volume two by alan lugton

the making of hibernian volume three by alan lugton

these colours dont run by derek dykes

hibs boy by andy blanche

the hibs history handbook by maurice dougan

Green Cabbage 7
18-06-2016, 01:33 PM
Budgies book is a great read.

Finn2015
18-06-2016, 01:35 PM
I started a list of Hibs books on a different thread around 3 or 4 years ago. There's been a few more added since then but the list proves that Hibs fans are better read than most other supports. The Yams have one book, Gary McKay : searching for silver.

budgie by john burridge

hibs boy by andy blanche

That is brilliant mate! Much obliged

Betty Boop
18-06-2016, 01:40 PM

budgie by john burridge

hibs boy by andy blanche

Is that Big Frank's brother ?

tamig
18-06-2016, 01:47 PM
Agree wirh this.

My problen with them is they are usually just crap books. Tabloid style, and i cant read one without hearing danny dyers voice in my head.

Incidentally, football factory the book was a really good read for a 'casual' book.

Got derek dykes book, but didnt even bother finishing it, was rubbish.

I would say there is a very good book waiting to be written about casuals

In my opinion the book you refer to in the last para has been done. It's called Casuals by Phil Thornton. It covers fashion, music and everything else related to that era. It's a great read and a million miles away from the generic casual books that lots of "lads" have written.

Pretty Boy
18-06-2016, 01:50 PM
I've got 100 years of Hibs in the loft somewhere, must dig it out. £100 hmmmmm:cb

My favourite reads were Eddie Turnbull's autobiography and 'Heartfelt' Aidan Smith's interesting and amusing book where he as a Hibs fan spent a year following Hearts.

I thought Heartfelt was a decent idea but poorly executed.

Aidan Smith just isn't a good writer imo. I almost gave up after 20 pages as it seemed to jump about all over the place, like he was just writing whatever memories popped into his head at any given moment. I often feel the same reading his newspaper column.

Pretty Boy
18-06-2016, 01:52 PM
In my opinion the book you refer to in the last para has been done. It's called Casuals by Phil Thornton. It covers fashion, music and everything else related to that era. It's a great read and a million miles away from the generic casual books that lots of "lads" have written.

Casuals is a great book.

There's a decent documentary of the same name on Netflix at the moment, it's primary focus is the fashion but I enjoyed it for what it was.

The Harp
18-06-2016, 02:17 PM

budgie by john burridge

hibs boy by andy blanche

That's some list eh. Well done FF. There's a few that I don't see on it:
Hibernian - The Complete Story by John R. Mackay
Hibernian - The Players and Managers 1946 - 2009 by Jim Jeffrey
The Hibs Quiz Book by Jim Hossack
The Alex Cropley Story
Shades - The Short Life and Tragic Death of Erich Schaedler
Growing Up In Green - Hibs Supporting Through The 70s by Sandy Macnair
Hibernian - A History From 1921 (Sporting Highlights from the National Press)

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
18-06-2016, 02:30 PM

Cheers mate, hadnt heard of that one - will check it out

Liam978
18-06-2016, 02:35 PM
The Alex Cropley Story

No enough pictures for me though, but talking of pictures Rennie has one of you taken in the south stand at the final, you had on a grey jacket and pure original scarf, dark green with thin white stripes x

.Sean.
18-06-2016, 02:41 PM
Casuals is a great book.

There's a decent documentary of the same name on Netflix at the moment, it's primary focus is the fashion but I enjoyed it for what it was.
I got the dvd of that.

Good but the 'moduals' bit at the end is properly cringey, bunch of mincers.

If you're into your gear (the clothing type) then Dressers is what you want. It's about Motherwell's SS but rather than focusing solely on the scrapping its more about clothes, trainers and the general culture. An unbelievable collection of photos in it.

fat freddy
18-06-2016, 02:53 PM
Is that Big Frank's brother ?
indeed, it is

fat freddy
18-06-2016, 02:55 PM
The Alex Cropley Story

It was never a definitive list, there were a few that slipped through the net and there's been a few more published since the list began. Taxi for Farrell being another to add to the list

The Harp
18-06-2016, 04:26 PM
No enough pictures for me though, but talking of pictures Rennie has one of you taken in the south stand at the final, you had on a grey jacket and pure original scarf, dark green with thin white stripes x

Ooooh, I hope his camera's insured. I've broken more cameras than Gary Mackay has medals.:greengrin
But how did you know that roguish, 40 something :wink: guy was me? Of course, if I was snapped doing something I shouldnae have been then it definitely wisnae me. :hide:

Jonnyboy
18-06-2016, 06:42 PM

Sorry you were disappointed, Brizo. The book was always going to be a playing record of the club, rather than a Lugton style offering. FWIW I also feel Alan Lugton's trilogy is the best by a long way :greengrin

BSEJVT
18-06-2016, 07:11 PM
Sorry hadn't realised others had posted a list

ihibs7
19-06-2016, 12:30 AM
Having read and appreciated all the books above IMHO the best one is Gordon smith prince of wingers. Brilliant insight into the post war years.

You can add Hibernian on this day in history to the list above too. Fab book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sarfoftheborder
19-06-2016, 06:44 AM
One more for the list : Peter Marinello's autobiography 'Fallen Idle'.

tamig
19-06-2016, 09:47 AM
Casuals is a great book.

Cheers for that PB. I'll check that out ☺

wearehibernian
19-06-2016, 12:22 PM
My favourite, along with the Lugton books and The Quiet Man. Love hearing the stories from all these legends from the past, Mickey Weir's chapter is brilliant.

Don't really like Ted Brack's stuff although I've got them all and the Andy McVannan is my least favourite, far too many really uninteresting people who hardly go to games, a missed chance when you consider some of the true Hibs fans with great stories to tell.

Sad to hear that you didn't enjoy We are Hibernian but just for the record, the vast majority of folk I interviewed are regular attendees at Hibs games. If they are not now then they have certainly been in the past. It was always meant to be a balance between the more high profile fans like Charlie Reid, Irvine Welsh etc and 'normal' fans. I certainly wouldn't describe anyone in the book as 'uninteresting' but each to their own, we all have different opinions.
Shameless plug, there will be a third edition out in the next month or so...
:flag:

cabbage_88
19-06-2016, 12:38 PM
Anything by Brack.

Hiber-nation
19-06-2016, 01:24 PM
Sad to hear that you didn't enjoy We are Hibernian but just for the record, the vast majority of folk I interviewed are regular attendees at Hibs games. If they are not now then they have certainly been in the past. It was always meant to be a balance between the more high profile fans like Charlie Reid, Irvine Welsh etc and 'normal' fans. I certainly wouldn't describe anyone in the book as 'uninteresting' but each to their own, we all have different opinions.

Sorry. Just an honest opinion.

Hiber-nation
19-06-2016, 01:29 PM
Anything by Brack.

Dinnae you start!

Finn2015
19-06-2016, 02:07 PM
Wonder if any of the authors are on here!😄

Bostonhibby
19-06-2016, 02:13 PM
Sorry you were disappointed, Brizo. The book was always going to be a playing record of the club, rather than a Lugton style offering. FWIW I also feel Alan Lugton's trilogy is the best by a long way :greengrin
I bought both these books for the stats and a wee bit more information around them. Do what it says on the tin and often refer to them.

No ones mentioned Gilzean's book of cartoons and sketches from around the tornadoes era. Some great stuff in there. Need to get up the loft and find it.

SuperAllyMcleod
19-06-2016, 03:53 PM
I bought both these books for the stats and a wee bit more information around them. Do what it says on the tin and often refer to them.

No ones mentioned Gilzean's book of cartoons and sketches from around the tornadoes era. Some great stuff in there. Need to get up the loft and find it.

I'd forgotten about that and for some reason I have two copies - need to see what they are going for on eBay. [emoji3]

Jonnyboy
19-06-2016, 03:54 PM
Wonder if any of the authors are on here!😄

Yes 😉

Bostonhibby
19-06-2016, 07:51 PM
I'd forgotten about that and for some reason I have two copies - need to see what they are going for on eBay. [emoji3]

One went for around £20 on Ebay some months ago, Found mine and had a laugh reading it.

Ilovehibs
19-06-2016, 09:15 PM

Bit harsh. Ted Brack has been a ST holder for years. Don't know about AMcV so can't comment.

Dont know what you mean by a 'missed chance'- anyone who wants to have a go at writing a Hibs book is free to do so.

Ilovehibs
19-06-2016, 09:21 PM
Hiber-nation, will correct myself- having read AMcV's post to you I see you meant the missed chance referred to his book. Haven't read it so didn't see the connection. Previous post retracted!

Finn2015
19-06-2016, 09:24 PM
Yes 😉

Who unless they don't want to be identified which is fair enough

Edson Arantes
19-06-2016, 09:27 PM
Casuals is a very good read.

Hiber-nation
19-06-2016, 09:31 PM
Hiber-nation, will correct myself- having read AMcV's post to you I see you meant the missed chance referred to his book. Haven't read it so didn't see the connection. Previous post retracted!

Nae bother. Just giving an opinion, hopefully constructive. If the authors post on here then they might take it on board but on the other hand they might dismiss me as a slavering old bassa.

Ilovehibs
19-06-2016, 09:38 PM
Nae bother. Just giving an opinion, hopefully constructive. If the authors post on here then they might take it on board but on the other hand they might dismiss me as a slavering old bassa.

Ha ha! Fair comment.

Jonnyboy
19-06-2016, 10:02 PM
Who unless they don't want to be identified which is fair enough

Me :greengrin

Ronniekirk
19-06-2016, 10:40 PM
One more for the list : Peter Marinello's autobiography 'Fallen Idle'.

Really enjoyed that one Sad story though didn't want to leave hibs at that point and injury and other issues led to him being skint in later years
Remember seeing him playing for us and his career could of been so different

Hibs1969
20-06-2016, 06:29 AM
Two books I really enjoyed were When George Came to Edinburgh by John Neil Munro which documents Best's arrival and life and times at Hibs which as we all know ended in tears and relegation and Peter Marinello's autobiography Fallen Idle which is a sad tale of a real talent squandered. He did present Top of the Pops though.

I'm looking forward to the book about our cup run this year which I think may have a happier ending though.

Just Jimmy
20-06-2016, 08:37 AM
Ive got a few.

Ive got ted's there is a bonny fitba team as well as sunshine on leith. I also have the first version of lughton's trilogy. Ive looked for a while and never managed to find parts 2 and 3 which is incredibly annoying.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

BSEJVT
20-06-2016, 10:24 AM

The books were fine, but to be honest I didn't see much different between book 1 and book 2

Can you at this stage tell us what the differences between book 3 and books 1 & 2 are that would make me want to buy it?

I can probably guess :-) but it would be nice to know and if my guess is correct, how much of this additional material there will be

Thanks

Finn2015
20-06-2016, 10:33 AM
Me :greengrin

Which ones😄

wearehibernian
20-06-2016, 11:39 AM
The books were fine, but to be honest I didn't see much different between book 1 and book 2

Can you at this stage tell us what the differences between book 3 and books 1 & 2 are that would make me want to buy it?

I can probably guess :-) but it would be nice to know and if my guess is correct, how much of this additional material there will be

Thanks

Yeah the 2nd edition had chapters by Mickey Weir, Ger Freedman and Pat Nevin added to it and many of the original chapters were updated and added to. The next one is essentially a re-print as the last one has pretty much sold out. So to mark that glorious weekend it will have a new photo section and updated comments on the cup final etc. It's essentially aimed at people who never got the first one (or two) and so that it is up to date as possible. Here is a couple of links for anyone interested and explains a bit more about the first two books etc
http://www.luath.co.uk/we-are-hibernian.html
http://www.macvannan.com/#!reviews-/h8yrt

I would personally have to say that The Making of Hibernian (Lugton) has been my favourite book so far. Found it really fascinating and really kinda took you back in time as it was so well written. Also have that Gilzean 'Hibernian flavoured' cartoon book somewhere. Seem to remember it had a good bit on George Best sleeping in for training. Will have to dig it out again.

Jonnyboy
20-06-2016, 02:03 PM
Which ones😄

At Easter Road They Play and In Colours Green And White.

Finn2015
20-06-2016, 02:04 PM

Thanks mate👍👍

CyberSauzee
20-06-2016, 09:30 PM
Another, Paul Lunney: Images of Sport: Hibernain Football Club 1875-1975

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Images-Sport-Hibernain-1875-1975-Photographs/dp/0752421700/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1466458087&sr=8-4&keywords=paul+lunney

tanfield
20-06-2016, 10:11 PM
Another, Paul Lunney: Images of Sport: Hibernain Football Club 1875-1975

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Images-Sport-Hibernain-1875-1975-Photographs/dp/0752421700/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1466458087&sr=8-4&keywords=paul+lunney

One of my favourites!

Forza Fred
20-06-2016, 11:10 PM
Only slightly off topic but Hibs get frequently mentioned in Crime writer Quintin Jardine's series of 'Skinner' books.

In one The First Minister is present at the unfurling of the championship flag at Easter Road.

I look forward to future books in the series to see if the cup victory is factored in!

Dashing Bob S
21-06-2016, 08:27 AM

When is 'The Finest In The Land Today' going to be published?

Jonnyboy
21-06-2016, 02:29 PM
It's going to be called The Hibs Go Marching On, Bob. With the publisher awaiting a decision 👍

BSEJVT
21-06-2016, 03:21 PM
Yeah the 2nd edition had chapters by Mickey Weir, Ger Freedman and Pat Nevin added to it and many of the original chapters were updated and added to. The next one is essentially a re-print as the last one has pretty much sold out. So to mark that glorious weekend it will have a new photo section and updated comments on the cup final etc. It's essentially aimed at people who never got the first one (or two) and so that it is up to date as possible. Here is a couple of links for anyone interested and explains a bit more about the first two books etc
http://www.luath.co.uk/we-are-hibernian.html
http://www.macvannan.com/#!reviews-/h8yrt

I would personally have to say that The Making of Hibernian (Lugton) has been my favourite book so far. Found it really fascinating and really kinda took you back in time as it was so well written. Also have that Gilzean 'Hibernian flavoured' cartoon book somewhere. Seem to remember it had a good bit on George Best sleeping in for training. Will have to dig it out again.

Thanks for the info

BSEJVT
27-06-2016, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the info

Can you tell me how to get a copy of V3 please?

Also I see Eric Stevenson is bringing out a book soon.

Looks Tom Wright is due another one as well.

Any further word on your one Johnyboy?

wearehibernian
21-08-2016, 03:17 PM
Can you tell me how to get a copy of V3 please?

Also I see Eric Stevenson is bringing out a book soon.

Looks Tom Wright is due another one as well.

Any further word on your one Johnyboy?

3rd Edition of We are Hibernian should be out in time for the Morton game but will post up more info this week hopefully...
Tom's book is one and the same, entitled 'Hibs Through and Through - Tom Wright with Eric Stevenson'. I believe its out pretty soon but here is a wee link to some info: http://www.luath.co.uk/hibs-through-through.html

Finn2015
21-08-2016, 03:40 PM
3rd Edition of We are Hibernian should be out in time for the Morton game but will post up more info this week hopefully...
Tom's book is one and the same, entitled 'Hibs Through and Through - Tom Wright with Eric Stevenson'. I believe its out pretty soon but here is a wee link to some info: http://www.luath.co.uk/hibs-through-through.html
Read the first version so will have to catch up with the other two. I like fans stories more than anything else tbh

confused
21-08-2016, 06:30 PM
Anyone got any ideas how to get a hold of John Mcnamees book from a few years back .

BSEJVT
21-08-2016, 06:59 PM

Thanks for that

I have yours and Tom Wrights one's on order from Amazon along with Aiden Smith's new one too

I try and buy every Hibs book / Hibs related book I hear off and currently have the following:

At Easter Road they play – John Campbell
100 Years of Hibs
Budgie
Crops –The Alex Cropley Story – Tom Wright
Eddie Turnbull – Having a Ball
Fallen Idle – Peter Marinello
From Oblivion to Hampden
Gilzean Football Cartoons
Growing Up In Green
Heartfelt
Hearts and Hibs Capital Classics
Hibernian – A History Since 1921
Hibernian Official All Time Greats –Mike Wilson
Hibernian’s Finest Sons – Sunshine on Leith
Hibernian’s Finest Sons – Sunshine on Leith - updated
Hibernian Football Club – Classic Matches – Jim Jeffrey
Hibernian FC – On This Day – Ian Colquhoun & Bobby Sinnet
Hibernian FC – The War Years by Brian Mark
Hibernian Greats – Jim Jeffrey
Hibernian Greats – Stewart Brown
Hibernian History Handbook
Hibernian History Handbook updated 2016
Hibernian - The Complete Story – John R Mackay
Hibernian -The Easter Road Story - John R Mackay
Hibernian – The Golden Years– Tom Wright
Hibernian – From Joe Baker to Turnbull’s Tornadoes– Tom Wright
Hibernian- The Players & Managers 1946-2009 – Jim Jeffrey
How Football saved my Life – Alan Stubbs
Images of Sport – Hibernian Football Club 1875 -1975
In Colours Green and White – John Campbell
Moonshine on Leith - Sandy Macnair
Pat Stanton -The Quiet Man
Pat Stanton’s Hibernian Dream Team
Peter Cormack –From the Cowshed to the Kop
Prince of Wingers – Gordon Smith
Shades – The Short Life and Tragic Death of Erich Schaedler
Taxi for Farrell
The Fabulous Baker Boys
The Game on New Year’s Day – Ted Brack
The Hibees - The Story of Hibernian FC- John R Mackay
The Hibees - The Story of Hibernian FC- John R Mackay updated version
The Hibernian Miscellany –Bobby Sinnet
The Hibs Quiz Book – Jim Hossack
The Hibs Story – Mike Wilson
The Life & Times of Last Minute Reilly
The Making of Hibernian – the Harp Awakes - Alan Lugton
The Making of Hibernian – the Brave Years - Alan Lugton
The Making of Hibernian – the Romantic Years - Alan Lugton
The Men Who Made Hibernian since 1946 Jim Jeffrey
The Passing of an Age – John Leigh
Time for Heroes – Ted Brack
There is a Bonny Fitba Team – Ted Brack
There’s Only One Sauzee – Ted Brack
We are Hibernian – The Fans Story – Andrew MacVannan
We are Hibernian V2 – The Fans Story – Andrew MacVannan
When George Best Came to Edinburgh

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

ihibs7
21-08-2016, 07:16 PM
Anyone got any ideas how to get a hold of John Mcnamees book from a few years back .

I don't think it was ever published.

Jonnyboy
21-08-2016, 07:17 PM

Don't think it was ever published.

mca
21-08-2016, 07:43 PM

Dont know if posted - but one on ebay ending really quickly..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-YEARS-OF-HIBS-RARE-BOOK-1875-1975-HIBERNIAN-SCOTTISH-FOOTBALL-/371707992438?hash=item568b85d976:g:DZ8AAOSw0UdXrNz 6

BSEJVT
21-08-2016, 07:47 PM
Don't think it was ever published.

Jonnyboy

Any news on your volume 3?

Thanks

Jonnyboy
21-08-2016, 07:57 PM
Jonnyboy

Any news on your volume 3?

Thanks

Publisher still waiting til we get promoted ............. grrrrrrrrrr

heretoday
21-08-2016, 07:58 PM
Thanks for that

I have yours and Tom Wrights one's on order from Amazon along with Aiden Smith's new one too

I try and buy every Hibs book / Hibs related book I here off and currently have the following:

100 Years of Hibs
Budgie
From Oblivion to Hampden
Growing Up In Green
Heartfelt
Taxi for Farrell
The Fabulous Baker Boys

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Joe Baker's Football Quiz Book priced at £3.50 and published by J.Hossack Productions in 1995. Some great pix of Baker playing for various clubs and Hibs memorabilia.

BSEJVT
21-08-2016, 08:35 PM
Joe Baker's Football Quiz Book priced at £3.50 and published by J.Hossack Productions in 1995. Some great pix of Baker playing for various clubs and Hibs memorabilia.

Thanks for that

Cant find an available copy online but did find one for Joe Harper with a similar title.

I know the Joe Baker one exists but is just not available.

Don't know if I can bring myself to buy the Harper one, he was the ruination of my favourite Hibs team and despite scoring a good number of goals for us I could never warm to him.

ancient hibee
21-08-2016, 08:53 PM
Thanks for that

I try and buy every Hibs book / Hibs related book I here off and currently have the following:

100 Years of Hibs
Budgie
From Oblivion to Hampden
Growing Up In Green
Heartfelt
Taxi for Farrell
The Fabulous Baker Boys

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

There's a biography of Bobby Johnstone by an Oldham supporter which I've read but I can't remember the title.

Hiber-nation
21-08-2016, 09:25 PM
Thanks for that

Cant find an available copy online but did find one for Joe Harper with a similar title.

Don't know if I can bring myself to buy the Harper one, he was the ruination of my favourite Hibs team and despite scoring a good number of goals for us I could never warm to him.

Does Scotland's For Me by Andy Goram count?

heretoday
21-08-2016, 09:43 PM
I've got The Hearts by Albert Mackie. There's a lot about Hibs in it!

erin go bragh
21-08-2016, 10:24 PM
Thanks for that

100 Years of Hibs
Budgie
From Oblivion to Hampden
Growing Up In Green
Heartfelt
Taxi for Farrell
The Fabulous Baker Boys

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Wow ! I thought I had a lot of Hibs books .
What's your fav top three mate ?

Jonnyboy
21-08-2016, 10:44 PM
There's a biography of Bobby Johnstone by an Oldham supporter which I've read but I can't remember the title.

It's called Bobby Johnstone - the passing of an age by John Leigh

Available on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XBobby+Joh nstone.TRS0&_nkw=Bobby+Johnstone&_sacat=0

And

Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/253-7203259-6745229?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Bobby+Johnstone

Very good read :agree:

BSEJVT
22-08-2016, 06:37 AM
Wow ! I thought I had a lot of Hibs books .
What's your fav top three mate ?

That's a really difficult question as they are mostly pretty different and like anything its shaped by my personal history so it will be completely different to anyone else's

100 years of Hibs would probably be the first one I bought and at that time I was still basking in the remnants of the Tornadoes glow, a 12-13 year old boy obsessed by football

Pat Stanton was and still is my Hibs hero, so his book. Pat was a tremendous player who just glided through games in a sort of James Bond debonair and urbane type of way.

I cant remember the name of it and am not sure its even on the list but Costco did a book a few years back with match clippings in it and as a lot of them were from my era I really enjoyed reading them again

There used to be something quite exciting about getting the Sunday papers and reading about another Hibs win.

Sports journalism was much more straight forward in those days in that the reporters told the story of the game rather than trying to get all cute and trendy, it also appeared far less biased or slanted.

Most of the biographies are very good and tell the story of a different game in a different time and certainly a different remuneration time for the players.

There isn't a bad book amongst them as they tell the story of the team that we love, although its fair to say that some are better written than others!

BSEJVT
22-08-2016, 06:39 AM
It's called Bobby Johnstone - the passing of an age by John Leigh

Available on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XBobby+Joh nstone.TRS0&_nkw=Bobby+Johnstone&_sacat=0

And

Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/253-7203259-6745229?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Bobby+Johnstone

Very good read :agree:

Agreed Jonnyboy it is a very good read

BSEJVT
22-08-2016, 06:40 AM
Does Scotland's For Me by Andy Goram count?

It should but like Harper I am not sure I could bring myself to buy it as Mr Goram's post Hibs persona is loathsome

Hibrandenburg
22-08-2016, 06:45 AM
Thanks for that

100 Years of Hibs
Budgie
From Oblivion to Hampden
Growing Up In Green
Heartfelt
Taxi for Farrell
The Fabulous Baker Boys

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

The Bible! I've not read it personally, but I've heard it's full of quotes about Pat Stanton.

SON OF PADDY
22-08-2016, 07:43 AM
Dont know if posted - but one on ebay ending really quickly..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-YEARS-OF-HIBS-RARE-BOOK-1875-1975-HIBERNIAN-SCOTTISH-FOOTBALL-/371707992438?hash=item568b85d976:g:DZ8AAOSw0UdXrNz 6

Thanks for the head's up !! Unfortunately I was too late. 😥

BSEJVT
22-08-2016, 07:54 AM

Buying a Hearts book would make me feel dirty!

Whenever we are in a bookshop and there are Hearts related books on sale I cover them up with something else so as they wont sell and the shop will stop stocking them.

Sad but true

Spike Mandela
22-08-2016, 08:11 AM
Buying a Hearts book would make me feel dirty!

Whenever we are in a bookshop and there are Hearts related books on sale I cover them up with something else so as they wont sell and the shop will stop stocking them.

Sad but true

Order it and don't pay for it or just nick it...........that's what they would do.:cb

SuperAllyMcleod
22-08-2016, 12:50 PM

Of course it will - they are obsessed with Hibs! [emoji57]

Lester B
22-08-2016, 01:00 PM
Thanks for that

The Joe Baker one should be in the big Cancer Research shop at the foot of Drum Brae. Along with a copy of 100 Years of Hibs. Just inherited a massive bunch of football books from my dad and all the doublers plus a bunch of other football books I didn't want to keep were donated there on Saturday!!

superfurryhibby
22-08-2016, 02:27 PM
Lugton's books are fantastic. He manages to put the clubs formation and early years into context with his information on the social climate from which Hibs emerged.

I really liked Gordon Smiths biography, well written and with some personal anecdotes that could only come from a close connection.

Turnbull's book is maybe my favourite biography though. The story is incredible. His war service in the Navy and the hardships faced, combined with a fairytale playing career. Pretty sure he made his pro debut at around 23-24, having not really played since his juvenile days ( a few junior games on discharge from the military).

erin go bragh
22-08-2016, 02:58 PM
That's a really difficult question as they are mostly pretty different and like anything its shaped by my personal history so it will be completely different to anyone else's

100 years of Hibs would probably be the first one I bought and at that time I was still basking in the remnants of the Tornadoes glow, a 12-13 year old boy obsessed by football

Pat Stanton was and still is my Hibs hero, so his book. Pat was a tremendous player who just glided through games in a sort of James Bond debonair and urbane type of way.

I cant remember the name of it and am not sure its even on the list but Costco did a book a few years back with match clippings in it and as a lot of them were from my era I really enjoyed reading them again

There used to be something quite exciting about getting the Sunday papers and reading about another Hibs win.

Sports journalism was much more straight forward in those days in that the reporters told the story of the game rather than trying to get all cute and trendy, it also appeared far less biased or slanted.

Most of the biographies are very good and tell the story of a different game in a different time and certainly a different remuneration time for the players.

There isn't a bad book amongst them as they tell the story of the team that we love, although its fair to say that some are better written than others!

Thanks for that informative reply 👍

heretoday
22-08-2016, 03:55 PM
The Joe Baker one should be in the big Cancer Research shop at the foot of Drum Brae. Along with a copy of 100 Years of Hibs. Just inherited a massive bunch of football books from my dad and all the doublers plus a bunch of other football books I didn't want to keep were donated there on Saturday!!

Don't say that! I was about to offer 100 Years to him for £50!
Foiled again.

Lester B
22-08-2016, 04:07 PM
Don't say that! I was about to offer 100 Years to him for £50!
Foiled again.

Well get yourself down to the shop and buy it before him. That way you make 50 quid (less a nominal fee for buying it again) and STILL have the book!!

Viva_Palmeiras
22-08-2016, 04:22 PM
Last Night a Hibee Saved My Life
- how David Gray changed the life of a Hibee for ever on the 21st May...

heretoday
22-08-2016, 04:27 PM
Well get yourself down to the shop and buy it before him. That way you make 50 quid (less a nominal fee for buying it again) and STILL have the book!!
I couldn't do that. I'd feel, well, sullied somehow.

wearehibernian
22-08-2016, 06:02 PM
Thanks for that

I try and buy every Hibs book / Hibs related book I hear off and currently have the following:

100 Years of Hibs
Budgie
From Oblivion to Hampden
Growing Up In Green
Heartfelt
Taxi for Farrell
The Fabulous Baker Boys

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

That is an amazing list!
It would be interesting (an I'm not volunteering) to construct a league table of books written about Scottish clubs. I would say that Hibs must be right in the top 3 surely? Of course the old firm will have many more social study type books that would win them the league every time.
I have 'Hibernian - A History from 1921' and it also consists of press cuttings etc, I never realised there was another. How do they compare? Or is this the same one that you mentioned enjoying?
I really liked showing this to my dad who would give me his personal recollections of games featured in some of the articles that were way before my time.

hibeg
22-08-2016, 06:29 PM
I have 6 softback books produced by Hibee-Hippie Production in the early 90s which I think spawned from the fanzine scene
Storm the gates of Hampden
Story of the Drybrough Cup
Hibs in Europe
League cup glory
Bring on Albanians by the score
Stop for chips in Dundee, driver

Brilliant reading, does anyone know if other titles were produced ?.

BSEJVT
22-08-2016, 07:05 PM
That is an amazing list!
It would be interesting (an I'm not volunteering) to construct a league table of books written about Scottish clubs. I would say that Hibs must be right in the top 3 surely? Of course the old firm will have many more social study type books that would win them the league every time.
I have 'Hibernian - A History from 1921' and it also consists of press cuttings etc, I never realised there was another. How do they compare? Or is this the same one that you mentioned enjoying?
I really liked showing this to my dad who would give me his personal recollections of games featured in some of the articles that were way before my time.

Will need to check that out and get back to you

They are in an old chest in the Attic so it might take a while :-)

BSEJVT
22-08-2016, 07:08 PM
Last Night a Hibee Saved My Life
- how David Gray changed the life of a Hibee for ever on the 21st May...

At the risk of making a plum of myself (again) is this a bona fide book?

Internet search reveals nothing.

wearehibernian
22-08-2016, 08:07 PM
At the risk of making a plum of myself (again) is this a bona fide book?

Internet search reveals nothing.

I think it is a take on a certain song about a DJ but a great title nonetheless... I may be wrong though?

More 'We are Hibernian - The Fans Story (3rd Edition)' details here. I'm hoping its also in the club shop by Saturday as well but you can order direct from me here: http://www.macvannan.com/#!store/zjhsu
*You can also request a special signature from our wonderous winger of the 80s and 90s... Mickey Weir.

More info and some excerpts here: http://www.macvannan.com/#!we-are-hibernian-book/k38w4

Like the facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/wearehibernian/

Unashamed sales pitch over, interested to know more about that cuttings book. Would be good if there was a webpage showing all the Hibs book covers ever published. Maybe I've taken that too far? he he...

Jonnyboy
22-08-2016, 08:38 PM
I think it is a take on a certain song about a DJ but a great title nonetheless... I may be wrong though?

More 'We are Hibernian - The Fans Story (3rd Edition)' details here. I'm hoping its also in the club shop by Saturday as well but you can order direct from me here: http://www.macvannan.com/#!store/zjhsu
*You can also request a special signature from our wonderous winger of the 80s and 90s... Mickey Weir.

More info and some excerpts here: http://www.macvannan.com/#!we-are-hibernian-book/k38w4

Like the facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/wearehibernian/

Unashamed sales pitch over, interested to know more about that cuttings book. Would be good if there was a webpage showing all the Hibs book covers ever published. Maybe I've taken that too far? he he...

I have a copy and it's excellent!

Available from Toffs http://www.toffs.com/hibernian-football-newspaper-book

BSEJVT
22-08-2016, 09:05 PM

That's the fellow I have as well

Thanks Jonnyboy, saved me a trip to the attic

ancient hibee
22-08-2016, 09:18 PM
My son gave me the 1921/2007 book for a birthday present.It's very nicely done with my name inscribed on the front in gold lettering.

wearehibernian
23-08-2016, 11:23 AM

Looks great, will have to get my hands on that one.

vincipernoi
23-08-2016, 01:04 PM
not specifically about Hibs but 'marabou stork nightmares' by Irvine welsh involves several hibs storylines combined with the casuals / football violence (and all sorts of darkness)

the marabou storks scattering hugely larger numbers of flamingos is the 'casuals' metaphor

'nature is very specific in its arithmetic'

brog
23-08-2016, 01:24 PM

I have 2 versions of this, one going to 2006 & the other to 2010 which of course includes the LC win. I keep intending to give the 1st to my son but if he doesn't want it I'll give to someone on here for a donation to Leith Links.

Hiber-nation
23-08-2016, 01:26 PM
I have 6 softback books produced by Hibee-Hippie Production in the early 90s which I think spawned from the fanzine scene
Storm the gates of Hampden
Story of the Drybrough Cup
Hibs in Europe
League cup glory
Bring on Albanians by the score
Stop for chips in Dundee, driver

Brilliant reading, does anyone know if other titles were produced ?.

I've got all these plus Grumpy Gibby's Greatest Gripes and Mightiest Moans somewhere plus a couple of his non-Hibs softback books.

hibeg
23-08-2016, 04:02 PM
I've got all these plus Grumpy Gibby's Greatest Gripes and Mightiest Moans somewhere plus a couple of his non-Hibs softback books.

Thanks for that mate. Is the Greatest gripes book Hibs related??

Hiber-nation
23-08-2016, 04:22 PM
Thanks for that mate. Is the Greatest gripes book Hibs related??

I can't remember! I found them when I was digging out some programmes but never had another look at them and they're now buried in a box at the back of a cupboard...

Onion
23-08-2016, 05:09 PM
IMO there's a money-spinning gap for a high quality "Time for Heroes" book about Hibs Scottish Cup triumph written by a football writer, historian or enthusiast rather than a Hibs fan - covering our main failed attempts since 02, build up to 21 May, account of game, the emotions, the players, the stories and the after-match celebrations (leaving out the 50 or 60 nutters who decided a brawl was more important).

hibeg
23-08-2016, 05:43 PM
Thanks for that

100 Years of Hibs
Budgie
From Oblivion to Hampden
Growing Up In Green
Heartfelt
Taxi for Farrell
The Fabulous Baker Boys

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Another book is Alan Rough--- Rough At The Top

BSEJVT
23-08-2016, 06:03 PM
Another book is Alan Rough--- Rough At The Top

Cheers for that

buktapurple79
23-08-2016, 06:52 PM
Great thread. The Yams have twice the square root of **** all compared to us with books and culture. And class.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
23-08-2016, 07:43 PM
IMO there's a money-spinning gap for a high quality "Time for Heroes" book about Hibs Scottish Cup triumph written by a football writer, historian or enthusiast rather than a Hibs fan - covering our main failed attempts since 02, build up to 21 May, account of game, the emotions, the players, the stories and the after-match celebrations (leaving out the 50 or 60 nutters who decided a brawl was more important).

I believe one of those is in production...

ihibs7
23-08-2016, 09:30 PM

Writing Hibs books isn't money spinning [emoji847]

ihibs7
23-08-2016, 09:31 PM
Meant to add gibbo - the Davie Gibson story is an add to the list above.