PDA

View Full Version : Willie Ormond's Grave & Our Scottish Cup Win

FranckSuzy
16-06-2016, 10:23 PM
I work beside Willie's daughter-in-law and today was the first time I'd seen her since 21/5/16. She told me that after our epic Scottish Cup win, someone - they don't know who - went to Willie's grave and left a bottle of champagne. Thought I was done with :boo hoo:after our amazing win, but naw! Hibs class, whoever you are :aok: GGTTH.

monktonharp
16-06-2016, 10:36 PM
I know he was Falkirk born, but he lies in the Inveresk graveyard in Musselburgh . saw the headstone a few years back while at a funeral . close to my wee Granny.

FranckSuzy
16-06-2016, 10:38 PM
I know he was Falkirk born, but he lies in the Inveresk graveyard in Musselburgh . saw the headstone a few years back while at a funeral . close to my wee Granny.

:agree: That's the one, W. Wonderful gesture and much appreciated by the family.

kaimendhibs
16-06-2016, 10:38 PM
Class

davym7062
16-06-2016, 10:45 PM
Absolutely amazing

1875STEVE
16-06-2016, 11:08 PM
I work beside Willie's daughter-in-law and today was the first time I'd seen her since 21/5/16. She told me that after our epic Scottish Cup win, someone - they don't know who - went to Willie's grave and left a bottle of champagne. Thought I was done with :boo hoo:after our amazing win, but naw! Hibs class, whoever you are :aok: GGTTH.

I have a similar story.

My granddad, who died in 1967, made my dad keep a promise when he was on his deathbed, that when Hibs finally won the Scottish cup, that he would go down, and pour a bottle of champers over his headstone, and leave him a beer. He told my dad it had to happen soon. My dad was a young laddie. He is now 60....

My dad used to joke, that id have to do it, and do his gravestone. I told him id get my son, who is 6, to do them, and mine as well.

He is buried behind the Famous Five stand, just a few yards from Dan McMichael.

We are going to go down and do it next week when we get our picture taken with the cup. :flag::flag::flag::aok:

FranckSuzy
16-06-2016, 11:23 PM
I have a similar story.

My granddad, who died in 1967, made my dad keep a promise when he was on his deathbed, that when Hibs finally won the Scottish cup, that he would go down, and pour a bottle of champers over his headstone, and leave him a beer. He told my dad it had to happen soon. My dad was a young laddie. He is now 60....

My dad used to joke, that id have to do it, and do his gravestone. I told him id get my son, who is 6, to do them, and mine as well.

We are going to go down and do it next week when we get our picture taken with the cup. :flag::flag::flag::aok:

Away again....just lovely. GGTTH.

cabbageandribs1875
16-06-2016, 11:25 PM
i drop in to the Eastern Cemetery(back of FF..with several family members) every so often if i'm through for a game or at the club shop, popped in last week and noticed several headstones with hibs scarves/banners/photos etc on top/next to graves , i really felt quite sad :boo hoo:, brought a few tears to the old eyes, i didn't realise it's the Eastern that has appeared in several inspector rebus episodes

allezsauzee
17-06-2016, 03:23 PM

Thanks for setting me off again :boo hoo:

Just Alf
17-06-2016, 03:27 PM
Thanks for setting me off again :boo hoo:
Ah jeez... me too... sitting in a busy pub as well.....

I love being a Hibbie

GGTTH

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
17-06-2016, 03:28 PM
I have a similar story.

Brilliant story!

Jim44
17-06-2016, 03:42 PM
Whenever I read threads about the Famous Five, I think of Bobby Johnstone. He was born in Selkirk and there's a street there named after him called Bobby Johnstone Green. I always have a wee smile when I pass it.

brog
17-06-2016, 07:02 PM
Ah jeez... me too... sitting in a busy pub as well..... I love being a Hibbie GGTTHSent from my SM-G925F using TapatalkI'm at Faro airport & people think I'm greeting because my flight's delayed by 3 hours! After 114 years, 3 hours doesn't really qualify as a delay!

Chuck D
18-06-2016, 06:51 AM
I have a few relatives buried at Inveresk. Can anyone describe roughly where Willie Ormond's grave is? I'd quite like to pay my respects the next time I'm up.

KdyHby
18-06-2016, 07:11 AM
I'm at Faro airport & people think I'm greeting because my flight's delayed by 3 hours! After 114 years, 3 hours doesn't really qualify as a delay!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays

GordonHFC
18-06-2016, 07:14 AM
I have a few relatives buried at Inveresk. Can anyone describe roughly where Willie Ormond's grave is? I'd quite like to pay my respects the next time I'm up.

If I remember correctly it is in the middle section on the RHS as you walk from the church. If you walk down the path it is in the LHS mid way down the path.

3pm
18-06-2016, 07:30 AM

Chuck, do you know the bit of the cemetery where you can fill your water bottle? There is a small building about the size of a garage where the council will keep their gear.

He's in that part of the cemetery. As you face out from the 'garage', his grave is about 50 yards to the right. Walk on the path and his grave will be on the left of the path. His grave stone is huge.

Golden Bear
18-06-2016, 08:14 AM

What a heartwarming and thoughtful gesture.

:aok:

Chuck D
18-06-2016, 09:37 AM
If I remember correctly it is in the middle section on the RHS as you walk from the church. If you walk down the path it is in the LHS mid way down the path.

Chuck, do you know the bit of the cemetery where you can fill your water bottle? There is a small building about the size of a garage where the council will keep their gear.

He's in that part of the cemetery. As you face out from the 'garage', his grave is about 50 yards to the right. Walk on the path and his grave will be on the left of the path. His grave stone is huge.

Thanks very much folks. I'll take a look.