PDA

View Full Version : Is football spoilt

SuperTortolano
16-06-2016, 08:28 PM
Trying to get in to the European Championships but the games have nothing compared to the game on the 21st of May.

LancashireHibby
16-06-2016, 08:30 PM
Can't really compare when there isn't the same emotional investment compared to Hibs, and more specifically the Hibs and the Scottish Cup.

However, despite watching most of the games so far, I'm finding most of the Euro games to be pretty dull to be honest and short on attacking guile and quality.

Diclonius
16-06-2016, 08:37 PM
Opposite for me - really enjoying watching other football games now His have won the holy grail.

heretoday
16-06-2016, 08:40 PM
Well the fans of the respective countries seem to disagree!

Mon Dieu4
16-06-2016, 08:41 PM
After the game I was all set to retire from watching football altogether but changed my mind as the team deserves backing for what they achieved

BigKev
16-06-2016, 08:42 PM
The games will get better as the tournament progresses I think.

Seems to be a general fear factor in the opening rounds of games as all nations want to go into the third matches with a chance of qualification.

Mr White
16-06-2016, 08:43 PM
Opposite for me - really enjoying watching other football games now His have won the holy grail.

:agree:
with a smug sense of self satisfaction that none of these losers were at hampden on 21/05/16. Except some of the Northern Irish but well, the losers part still applies in that case :greengrin

snooky
16-06-2016, 08:46 PM
Lived all my life hoping that Hibs would win the Scottish Cup before I die. Now my life seems, well, ...... empty :tumble:

:greengrin :fibber: :stirrer: :flag::flag::flag:

Finn2015
16-06-2016, 08:47 PM
I think it's the way it has evolved. I still maintain sky has ruined the game since their involvement. To much hype and it has become almost saturated. I remember, although hibs was obviously my team, enjoying watching a Sunday game on tv but now you have multiple games on sky, one after the other. Tbh, I'm bored with a lot of it, particularly the hyping up of so called superstars in the big leagues who get paid obscene amounts of money. Football has lost its soul to a large degree and it's a crying shame

eastterrace
16-06-2016, 08:55 PM
I think it's the way it has evolved. I still maintain sky has ruined the game since their involvement. To much hype and it has become almost saturated. I remember, although hibs was obviously my team, enjoying watching a Sunday game on tv but now you have multiple games on sky, one after the other. Tbh, I'm bored with a lot of it, particularly the hyping up of so called superstars in the big leagues who get paid obscene amounts of money. Football has lost its soul to a large degree and it's a crying shame must agree with you I use to like Sunday game and the Monday night football but far to many games I hardly watch any or watch 20 mins here and there more into watching hibs . Will eventually get rid of sky , keep bt tho for the Scottish games

snooky
16-06-2016, 08:56 PM
I think it's the way it has evolved. I still maintain sky has ruined the game since their involvement. To much hype and it has become almost saturated. I remember, although hibs was obviously my team, enjoying watching a Sunday game on tv but now you have multiple games on sky, one after the other. Tbh, I'm bored with a lot of it, particularly the hyping up of so called superstars in the big leagues who get paid obscene amounts of money. Football has lost its soul to a large degree and it's a crying shame

:agree: Sadly, even in the Juniors money is becoming an issue.

It was great when you could plan weddings, holidays, etc. because you knew every second SATURDAY we were at home.
Nowadays, TBH, I sometimes forget who, when or where we are playing.
Also, the fitness level of players has improved but alas the skill level hasn't, except at the top level.

barcahibs
16-06-2016, 09:03 PM
It's international football, utterly boring is the standard. Just can't compete with watching Hibs.

Pretty Boy
16-06-2016, 09:06 PM
Tbh I was utterly bored of football, excepting Hibs, until the 21st May. I watched almost no football that didn't involve Hibs and when I did people got fed up with me because I was just a cynical bore watching games. Now I seem to have fallen in love with the game again and can't get enough of the Euros.

Glory hunter that I am.

J-C
16-06-2016, 09:09 PM
I'm trying to figure out if standards have dropped or that all the teams this year are pretty much even, nearly all the games have been very close with not a lot between the teams.

heretoday
16-06-2016, 09:38 PM
It's like the teams all play to a certain standard - passing across and back - and only the exceptional player stands out - and there aren't many of them this time round.

Even Albania played the standard game.

Tricla
16-06-2016, 09:54 PM
If it's no Hibs or Scotland I'm no really bothered.

jacomo
16-06-2016, 10:10 PM
I'm trying to figure out if standards have dropped or that all the teams this year are pretty much even, nearly all the games have been very close with not a lot between the teams.

Agree, the quality has been low.

I think it's tiredness. The top leagues are now all consuming, they demand near 365 day a year commitment from their players (in return for colossal rewards).

I have become bored of the super clubs. Didn't watch a single champions league game last season.

But, despite it all, I'm quite enjoying the Euros.

As for Hibs, the SC win has made me hungry for more success.

Matty_Jack04
16-06-2016, 10:41 PM
It's the best 3rd finishers that's spoiling it a little, teams being too cagey or no real need to go gung Ho, I've enjoyed it I like the tournaments absolutely hate all the qualifiers and friendlies stopping the fitbaw during the season tho

Sir David Gray
16-06-2016, 10:55 PM
Not seen much of it so far.

To be honest I would be as well going to watch a completely different sport from now on.

After 21.05.16, it cannot possibly get any better than that and the only way is down.

Saturday Boy
16-06-2016, 11:11 PM
Not seen much of it so far.

To be honest I would be as well going to watch a completely different sport from now on.

After 21.05.16, it cannot possibly get any better than that and the only way is down.

Kinda agree with this. The Euros so far have been OK, but I was at Ainslie Park last night watching Hibs Ladies win the SWPL League Cup.

Oh, it all comes back. Trophies are 100% enhanced by green ribbons. Rod Petrie had a huge smile when presenting the winners medals. It is a great time to be a Hibee.

:flag::flag:

lyonhibs
16-06-2016, 11:24 PM
Football is up the pole for me, unless it involves Hibs. I'll take particular relish when it's a boring as **** EPL game, watching with my mates.

'Aye it's alright, but it's no May 21st"

They already know the score.

Football is spoiled, ruined and diminished forever. But how could it ever be otherwise since May 21st. I'll never feel that again watching football, as long as I live.

Saturday Boy
16-06-2016, 11:35 PM
Football is up the pole for me, unless it involves Hibs. I'll take particular relish when it's a boring as **** EPL game, watching with my mates.

'Aye it's alright, but it's no May 21st"

They already know the score.

Football is spoiled, ruined and diminished forever. But how could it ever be otherwise since May 21st. I'll never feel that again watching football, as long as I live.

My good mate Brian is doing one of those football cards, where you pick the team hiden behind the tape.

I picked Stoke, after subtlety adding an "S"

I must check the timing of the draw :thumbsup:

snedzuk
17-06-2016, 03:05 PM
My good mate Brian is doing one of those football cards, where you pick the team hiden behind the tape.

I picked Stoke, after subtlety adding an "S"

I must check the timing of the draw :thumbsup:

Obviously when he tears the tape off it'll burst into flames

Viva_Palmeiras
18-06-2016, 06:31 AM
:agree:
with a smug sense of self satisfaction that none of these losers were at hampden on 21/05/16. Except some of the Northern Irish but well, the losers part still applies in that case :greengrin

Even better that the Jambos were most certainly to a man glued to the box watching us as we redefine their definition of "Hibsedit" must have been like watching a car crash in slow motion...

Keith_M
18-06-2016, 07:13 AM
The English, Welsh, and Norn/Irish Fans will be enjoying it, as we Scots would if we could ever qualify for anything.

Mr White
18-06-2016, 07:14 AM
Even better that the Jambos were most certainly to a man glued to the box watching us as we redefine their definition of "Hibsedit" must have been like watching a car crash in slow motion...

Their match day thread on kickback makes for quite entertaining reading VP :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
18-06-2016, 10:49 AM
Their match day thread on kickback makes for quite entertaining reading VP :greengrin

Should be stickied here. A classic of sheer pain, angst and disbelief.

Dashing Bob S
18-06-2016, 10:52 AM

With you. Everything is heightened now. Every mouthful of nice food swallowed, decent beverage sipped, tasteful picture looked at, beautiful woman passed by in the street, goal scored on the TV - it just makes me glow all over and remember that damn fine day.

AZhibee
18-06-2016, 11:36 PM
It's the best 3rd finishers that's spoiling it a little, teams being too cagey or no real need to go gung Ho, I've enjoyed it I like the tournaments absolutely hate all the qualifiers and friendlies stopping the fitbaw during the season tho

Indeed! All they need to do is play safe and ensure they advance, which isn't that hard. Why even have a group stage if most are advancing?

Eyrie
19-06-2016, 11:24 AM
Indeed! All they need to do is play safe and ensure they advance, which isn't that hard. Why even have a group stage if most are advancing?

Money.

Expanding the tournament to 24 teams means two more groups (twelve more matches) and a last sixteen stage (eight more matches), which the broadcasters and sponsors have to pay more for.

jacomo
19-06-2016, 12:06 PM
Money.

Expanding the tournament to 24 teams means two more groups (twelve more matches) and a last sixteen stage (eight more matches), which the broadcasters and sponsors have to pay more for.

They should have just gone to 32 teams IMO. Maybe reduce qualifying matches which cause such havoc with club competitions - such as playing each team in the group once rather than home and away.

Scotland would probably still struggle to qualify LOL.