PDA

View Full Version : The One Man Band

sambajustice
16-06-2016, 02:04 PM
Has any team, ever, football or any other sport ever relied on 1 player more than Wales rely on Bale??

The one I can really think of off the top of my head is the GB Davis Cup team and Andy Murray

High-On-Hibs
16-06-2016, 02:06 PM
Hibs and Griffiths?

Craig_HFC
16-06-2016, 02:07 PM
Rangers & Hugh Dallas?

:greengrin

bigwheel
16-06-2016, 02:08 PM
Has any team, ever, football or any other sport ever relied on 1 player more than Wales rely on Bale??

The one I can really think of off the top of my head is the GB Davis Cup team and Andy Murray

i think that is too simplistic a view..

look at their team

Hennessey (Crystal Palace), Gunter (Reading), Chester (West Brom), Williams (Swansea), Taylor (Swansea), Davies (Tottenham), Ledley (Crystal Palace), Ramsey (Arsenal), Allen (Liverpool), Robson-Kanu (Reading), Bale (Real Madrid)

Filled with Top league players....who largely are first picks too...it's a decent 11...

Not In The Know
16-06-2016, 02:11 PM
i think that is too simplistic a view..

look at their team

Hennessey (Crystal Palace), Gunter (Reading), Chester (West Brom), Williams (Swansea), Taylor (Swansea), Davies (Tottenham), Ledley (Crystal Palace), Ramsey (Arsenal), Allen (Liverpool), Robson-Kanu (Reading), Bale (Real Madrid)

Filled with Top league players....who largely are first picks too...it's a decent 11...

That really brings into perspective how bad Scotland is at bringing talent through.

HH81
16-06-2016, 02:12 PM

I don't think in open play Bale has been that good in two games I have watched.

Wales just work well at a team.

Juice-Terry
16-06-2016, 02:23 PM
Sweden and Zlatan.

Craig_HFC
16-06-2016, 02:24 PM
Wales & John Charles.

SunshineOnLeith
16-06-2016, 02:29 PM
Hibs and Griffiths?

First reply, nailed it.

Enough said
16-06-2016, 02:34 PM

The one I can really think of off the top of my head is the GB Davis Cup team and Andy Murrayb

This

Baader
16-06-2016, 02:36 PM
Maradona '86? He won that World Cup in a very average Argentina side. Absolutely incredible.

LustForLeith
16-06-2016, 02:40 PM
Maradona '86? He won that World Cup in a very average Argentina side. Absolutely incredible.

Agree with this and I'd throw in Ronaldo and Portugal too.

Enough said
16-06-2016, 02:42 PM
Total nonsense

http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/02/19/the-argentina-1986-world-cup-squad-was-much-more-than-diego-maradona/

Smartie
16-06-2016, 02:48 PM
I'd agree if they were shipping goals left, right and centre but they're not.

I'd argue Ashley Williams is as important a player for them. He holds that defence together then that lets the World class Bale do his stuff.

Ramsey's a top player as well.

I'd love it if we were a one man team but could count on Ramsey and Williams amongst the others.

Finn2015
16-06-2016, 04:48 PM
Me and my school football team

fat freddy
16-06-2016, 05:04 PM
Celtic & Leigh Griffiths

Hi Heid Yin
16-06-2016, 05:35 PM
George Best and Northern Ireland springs to mind.

3pm
16-06-2016, 05:37 PM
Celtic & Albert Kidd.

The_Todd
16-06-2016, 05:39 PM
Behave. Bale is an incredible talent no doubt but the likes of Ramsay, Ledley, Williams would walk into the Scotland squad. Our team spirit is incredible, and Bale is a massive part of the squad. He doesn't act like he's above them, he's one of them. If we really were a one man team we wouldn't even be at the Euros.

HibbyAndy
16-06-2016, 05:41 PM
Maradonna won Napoli Serie A

iwasthere1972
16-06-2016, 05:51 PM
Hearts and Craig Thomson.

WoreTheGreen
16-06-2016, 05:59 PM
Leo Sayer.

(((Fergus)))
16-06-2016, 05:59 PM
Behave. Bale is an incredible talent no doubt but the likes of Ramsay, Ledley, Williams would walk into the Scotland squad. Our team spirit is incredible, and Bale is a massive part of the squad. He doesn't act like he's above them, he's one of them. If we really were a one man team we wouldn't even be at the Euros.

^^

Hillsidehibby
16-06-2016, 06:14 PM
Leo Sayer.

:greengrin

West lower
16-06-2016, 06:51 PM
Maradonna won Napoli Serie A

Spot on. He did it while every hatchet defender in Italy took turns to take him out. He just kept getting up for more. They did eventually catch up with him but not before the title was won.

Bishop Hibee
16-06-2016, 06:55 PM
Ashley Williams wasn't 'brought through'. His grand dad was Welsh. He supported England until Wales realised he was eligible.

jingler1954
16-06-2016, 07:03 PM
Leo Sayer.

Nobody knows or understands.

heretoday
16-06-2016, 07:10 PM
Nobody knows or understands.

Well, these happy Hibs fans have only one message for their heroes: "You make me feel like dancing!" :flag:

HibbyAndy
16-06-2016, 07:20 PM
Spot on. He did it while every hatchet defender in Italy took turns to take him out. He just kept getting up for more. They did eventually catch up with him but not before the title was won.

:agree::top marks

Haymaker
16-06-2016, 07:24 PM
Ashley Williams wasn't 'brought through'. His grand dad was Welsh. He supported England until Wales realised he was eligible.

We can't really bring that up, fair few of ours have been the same.

WoreTheGreen
16-06-2016, 07:47 PM

I felt a thunder in my heart when Sir David made history

MWHIBBIES
16-06-2016, 07:50 PM
Wales without Bale are better than Scotland.

Haymaker
16-06-2016, 07:57 PM
I felt a thunder in my heart when Sir David made history

I was talking about Scotland.

nellio
16-06-2016, 08:00 PM

Nailed it. 100% correct, he is our talisman but we have a team full of mostly premier league players!! Look how many goals we conceded in qualifying. Wasn't bale keeping all those out!!

Bishop Hibee
17-06-2016, 07:09 AM

I was merely pointing out that the Welsh don't have some wonder system for bringing through players that we can copy.

Ringothedog
17-06-2016, 10:31 AM

He won them it single handed.

Sas_The_Hibby
17-06-2016, 10:36 AM
He won them it single handed.

Naughty.

But true.

WeeRussell
17-06-2016, 11:33 AM
Wales without Bale are better than Scotland.

No they aren't. I don't even think they are a better side WITH Bale.

And Yes I am aware they are playing at the Euros and we aren't.

MWHIBBIES
17-06-2016, 11:52 AM

And Yes I am aware they are playing at the Euros and we aren't.Wales are considerably better than Scotland with Bale. What Scotland players would get in their team?

robinp
17-06-2016, 11:57 AM
Hearts and Craig Thomson.

The ref or the nonce? :greengrin

WeeRussell
17-06-2016, 12:02 PM
Wales are considerably better than Scotland with Bale. What Scotland players would get in their team?

You'd have to ask Chris Coleman that but if it were me, and these people were Welsh, I'd be interested in:

Allan MacGregor, Andrew Robertson, James McCarthur, Leigh Griffiths (albeit hasn't been selected for Scotland as much as he should have been), Robert Snodgrass, James Morrison, John McGinn ( :) ), Scott Brown (if someone earlier is allowed to suggest Ledley would walk into our team).. off the top of my head.

Bale and Ramsay are the only two I would be in a rush to have in the Scotland side. Although I would concede we are in dire need of a decent defence....

Credit to them for getting to the competition and their performances so far. However, they remain a side I would be happy to draw in playoffs for a major tournament.

jgl07
17-06-2016, 12:18 PM
George Best and Northern Ireland springs to mind.
Rubbish. Best hardly ever 'turned up' for Northern Ireland. They did far better after he had gone with the likes of Gerry Armstrong.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
17-06-2016, 12:27 PM

Read an article that debunked this a bit. Apparently they had one of the best defences in the tournament, and generally the best defence wins a tournament.

That was the gist of the article.

In a team game, i think its a fairly moot point.

MWHIBBIES
17-06-2016, 12:51 PM
You'd have to ask Chris Coleman that but if it were me, and these people were Welsh, I'd be interested in:

Allan MacGregor, Andrew Robertson, James McCarthur, Leigh Griffiths (albeit hasn't been selected for Scotland as much as he should have been), Robert Snodgrass, James Morrison, John McGinn ( :) ), Scott Brown (if someone earlier is allowed to suggest Ledley would walk into our team).. off the top of my head.

Bale and Ramsay are the only two I would be in a rush to have in the Scotland side. Although I would concede we are in dire need of a decent defence....

Credit to them for getting to the competition and their performances so far. However, they remain a side I would be happy to draw in playoffs for a major tournament.Come on man, that is incredibly bias.

Davies, Williams, and Taylor would walk into Scotlands team for a start. Joe Allan as well. They are a good side and are in with a good shot of getting out of their Euro group, something Scotland has never achieved.

sambajustice
17-06-2016, 01:00 PM
Bale scored or had a hand in all but 1 of Wales' goals in the qualifiers I'm sure. That shows how much they rely on him

nellio
17-06-2016, 01:20 PM
I
And Yes I am aware they are playing at the Euros and we aren't.

Got to be a joke right? I like Scotland and effectively support them as my second nation but currently there is no way you are better than us!!!

nellio
17-06-2016, 01:27 PM
Come on man, that is incredibly bias.

Davies, Williams, and Taylor would walk into Scotlands team for a start. Joe Allan as well. They are a good side and are in with a good shot of getting out of their Euro group, something Scotland has never achieved.

Well said. A nice balanced view. I would add our keeper would get into your side as well. Starting keeper for palace in the premier. Ledley would get in too probably.

Haymaker
17-06-2016, 02:06 PM
I was merely pointing out that the Welsh don't have some wonder system for bringing through players that we can copy.

Ah, I get you now!