PDA

View Full Version : Dundee United and Falkirk watch

Finn2015
12-06-2016, 04:41 PM
Of course football can throw up surprises but I think it's shaping up that these two teams will be our main rivals this season. Just thinking of having a thread to see how they are shaping up ahead of the new season and what shape they are in etc

Spike Mandela
12-06-2016, 04:44 PM
How many got released at Dundee Utd? Just wondering how big their rebuild job is.

hibee_girl
12-06-2016, 04:45 PM
How many got released at Dundee Utd? Just wondering how big their rebuild job is.

Says 8 here - http://www.skysports.com/transfer/news/12691/10269215/dundee-united-braced-for-clear-out-after-premiership-relegation

Finn2015
12-06-2016, 04:47 PM

I know a couple have left at least, Paul Paton and bodul (think that's how it's spelt). I guess this is part of the purpose of the thread tbh

Shrekko
12-06-2016, 04:48 PM
Says 8 here - http://www.skysports.com/transfer/news/12691/10269215/dundee-united-braced-for-clear-out-after-premiership-relegation
They also allowed Paul Paton to sign for St.Johnstone on a free and are trying to offload Muirhead who Hearts are interested in.

Col2
12-06-2016, 04:50 PM
United supporting mate of mine thinks they have next to no chance of competing with us as expects cuts cuts cuts. He thinks new manager might do wonders but at best expects play offs.

Moulin Yarns
12-06-2016, 04:51 PM
Blair Alston had left Falkirk

magpie1892
12-06-2016, 04:54 PM
From various parts of their 1st team squad I think Utd have let 14 go in total.

We're going to 'Hibs it' like we did on May 21. 13/10 at Laddies - got to be worth a grand.

Glory Lurker
12-06-2016, 04:55 PM
We need Houston to confirm whether or not Falkirk have resources.:rolleyes:

nellio
12-06-2016, 05:06 PM
Surprised that Falkirk haven't lost more players, Vaulks especially, Sibbald as well.

Finn2015
12-06-2016, 05:08 PM
Surprised that Falkirk haven't lost more players, Vaulks especially, Sibbald as well.

There is time yet

HibsNutter
12-06-2016, 05:08 PM
Dundee United:

Expect them to find themselves in the same position we did the first season we were in this division. The rebuilding job is massive and they will struggle to have a settled side in time for the new season. Looking on their website they have eight outfield players and two keepers who have been promoted from the youth team. Even if they recruit well, they may struggle to maintain a title challenge this season.

Falkirk:

Already lost a key player in Alston, may be be tempted to cash in on other key players if interest comes. Obviously due to 'lack of resources' they'll struggle to replace such players straight away and will probably look to sign promising players to develop as they have done previously. Houston is probably still going to be annoying but I feel we'll be too far ahead of them to care.

I'm fairly confident we'll win the league comfortably at this time of asking as I can't see where the challenge is going to come from.

Renfrew_Hibby
12-06-2016, 05:18 PM
Dundee United:

Expect them to find themselves in the same position we did the first season we were in this division. The rebuilding job is massive and they will struggle to have a settled side in time for the new season. Looking on their website they have eight outfield players and two keepers who have been promoted from the youth team. Even if they recruit well, they may struggle to maintain a title challenge this season.

Falkirk:

Already lost a key player in Alston, may be be tempted to cash in on other key players if interest comes. Obviously due to 'lack of resources' they'll struggle to replace such players straight away and will probably look to sign promising players to develop as they have done previously. Houston is probably still going to be annoying but I feel we'll be too far ahead of them to care.

I'm fairly confident we'll win the league comfortably at this time of asking as I can't see where the challenge is going to come from.

Could somebody else emerge from the pack? St.Mirren perhaps as they've had time to adjust or the Pars as they have momentum and by the sounds of it, a big support next year too.

Smartie
12-06-2016, 05:25 PM
Could somebody else emerge from the pack? St.Mirren perhaps as they've had time to adjust or the Pars as they have momentum and by the sounds of it, a big support next year too.

If McKinnon had stayed at Raith then they might have been a dark horse. They did ok last season in spite of having a lot of injuries, including their main striker for most of the season. They've signed the boy Barr from Morton who gave us a tough time last season as well. But without McKinnon I'm not sure if they will do better than the playoffs.

I'm most interested in who we manage to hang onto. If we keep this squad together then I think we'll be too strong for United, Falkirk and the rest. But if a few of our players don't warm to Lennon (for whatever reason) and want to go then we might be in trouble.

IWasThere2016
12-06-2016, 05:28 PM
Arabs have sold 2,000 STS yet I'm told plan to spend 3x that sum of their playing squad. Find it hard to believe but guy with info should know!

Dashing Bob S
12-06-2016, 05:28 PM
I dispute that either Dundee United or Falkirk will be our most dangerous opponents next season.

Hi Heid Yin
12-06-2016, 05:33 PM
We have to put Dunfermline right up there too, as they have momentum and a winning mentality and formula established.
St. Mirren will also surely improve on last seasons performances and get their act together.
Football is a funny old game, as other clubs we just don't rate will turn in some good performances and surprise the 3 or 4 clubs fancied for promotion.
This said, we are without question the team to beat.

Greenworld
12-06-2016, 05:33 PM
I dispute that either Dundee United or Falkirk will be our most dangerous opponents next season.
Who do u think

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Smartie
12-06-2016, 05:45 PM
We have to put Dunfermline right up there too, as they have momentum and a winning mentality and formula established.
St. Mirren will also surely improve on last seasons performances and get their act together.
Football is a funny old game, as other clubs we just don't rate will turn in some good performances and surprise the 3 or 4 clubs fancied for promotion.

Have Dunfermline managed to re-sign many of last season's players?

Normally I'd agree with you but I'm sure I heard that all of their players were out of contract this summer. If they've got a big re-build themselves then they might lose out on that momentum.

Smartie
12-06-2016, 05:48 PM
Arabs have sold 2,000 STS yet I'm told plan to spend 3x that sum of their playing squad. Find it hard to believe but guy with info should know!

My mate and his daughter are two of those.

He's a student and she's only 2 years old and their tickets were cheap as chips. They won't have put a great deal in the coffers.

It would be interesting to know how many of our season tickets are the near £400 ones and how many are the kids "from £25" ones.

Pretty Boy
12-06-2016, 05:53 PM
Dundee Utd are in a mess. Huge rebuild required throughout the club and not a lot of money to do it with. An owner chairman who has lost interest isn't helpful either.

I can't see Falkirk being as grindingly consistent as they were last year either.

St Mirren improved a bit under Rae last year and could be the challengers. Tbh though if we perform as we should then we shouldn't have to worry about anyone else.

Zazu62
12-06-2016, 05:54 PM

2,000 season tickets .. Seems like a club in complete freefall if u ask me . Falkirk will do well they know this league very well and how to win games they showed that last season . Dunfermline will do well .

bigwheel
12-06-2016, 05:56 PM
I think Dundee United have hired well with McKinnon. He's got a chance of producing a performing team. Might take him a while to get going , so a good start for us would be very helpful ....

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-06-2016, 05:59 PM

Apparently they are looking at six players at St Andrews justnow and offers have been made.

Jack
12-06-2016, 06:01 PM

I'd expect DU and Falkirk to be there or thereabouts but all the other clubs can cause an upset.

St Midden have had time to adjust to this league.

The Pars if they can keep their squad together I suspect will do well.

QOTS after a poor season selling players last season often come back strongly the following season, this season.

Raith too.

Don't anyone mention Dumbarton shh!

I expect us to win the league handsomely but every team will want to beat us every game will be a challenge.

Finn2015
12-06-2016, 06:01 PM
Yeah I'm sure there will be improved performances from st mirren and Dunfermline will be competitive to but I based this on what has been predicted and the latest odds which suggest Falkirk and Dundee United will be the main challengers

Billychaotic182
12-06-2016, 06:10 PM
I know I've talked him up a lot on here but i really think Nathan Austin is going to be a huge player for Falkirk next season. He is one to watch.

Scouse Hibee
12-06-2016, 06:10 PM
Having just read through this thread it seems we are overwhelming favourites with other team either a shambles or depleted. Considering we have yet to really know the quality we will have when the season starts,I think we need to keep our feet firmly planted and take nothing for granted

pacoluna
12-06-2016, 06:17 PM
Dunfermline took 3 years to get out of league 1, I don't understand those who are saying they could compete next year to get promoted, at most they will be aiming for fourth. Hibs should wipe the floor with the other teams in this league, no excuses.

Hi Heid Yin
12-06-2016, 06:21 PM
Have Dunfermline managed to re-sign many of last season's players?

Normally I'd agree with you but I'm sure I heard that all of their players were out of contract this summer. If they've got a big re-build themselves then they might lose out on that momentum.

I have no idea what their set up is for this season. I simply assumed that they would keep the bulk of last seasons team together and maybe add one or two.

scuttle
12-06-2016, 06:36 PM

Our most dangerous opponent will probably be ourselves

Big L
12-06-2016, 06:45 PM
The lad Simon Murray will be the main man for United this season, he will score goals for fun in this league. I would love to see him in a Hibs jersey.

Dashing Bob S
12-06-2016, 07:27 PM
Who do u think

See post #31.

Dashing Bob S
12-06-2016, 07:28 PM
Our most dangerous opponent will probably be ourselves

If Hearts can owe money to themselves for five years, then we can give ourselves a good game for one season.

Greenworld
12-06-2016, 07:28 PM
See post #31.
Lol fair point

IWasThere2016
12-06-2016, 07:36 PM
The lad Simon Murray will be the main man for United this season, he will score goals for fun in this league. I would love to see him in a Hibs jersey.

Son of former Hibs striker Gary Murray

Finn2015
12-06-2016, 07:38 PM
Son of former Hibs striker Gary Murray

Get him signed😀

SlickShoes
12-06-2016, 09:28 PM
Dunfermline have resigned a few but faissal el bakhtaoui is currently a free agent, he has an offer from dunfermline.

Dunfermline hope to be able to keep most of their squad together but doubt they will bring in many new players, they have sold 2500 season tickets I think.

RyeSloan
12-06-2016, 09:58 PM

Only seen small glimpses of him but he seemed pretty raw when I saw him play.

Will be an interesting league next year for sure but if we can have a similar quality of team as last season then we should be way too strong for most of not all of the league over the long run.

That said with a new manager and a bit of rebuilding to do ourselves I'll maybe hang on to that grand another poster was suggesting I place on Hibs for a wee bit longer yet ;-)

calumhibee1
12-06-2016, 10:00 PM

He'll score a few but he's not any better than keatings and definitely not at JCs level.

bigwheel
12-06-2016, 10:02 PM
He'll score a few but he's not any better than keatings and definitely not at JCs level.

Agreed. Not at Keatings or JCs level....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Finn2015
12-06-2016, 10:12 PM
I think for us, keeping players like JC will go a long way. People always get excited about transfers, it's only natural, but us retaining players who won us the Scottish cup is essential to

Col2
12-06-2016, 10:18 PM
I honestly think we will comfortably win this league and be looking forward to being back where we belong in 9 months (March) having wrapped up league win a months to spare.

greenlex
12-06-2016, 10:31 PM
Dunfermline have resigned a few but faissal el bakhtaoui is currently a free agent, he has an offer from dunfermline.

Dunfermline hope to be able to keep most of their squad together but doubt they will bring in many new players, they have sold 2500 season tickets I think.

They will be a midfielder short too I think.

hibees 7062
12-06-2016, 10:38 PM
Dunfermline took 3 years to get out of league 1, I don't understand those who are saying they could compete next year to get promoted, at most they will be aiming for fourth. Hibs should wipe the floor with the other teams in this league, no excuses.

:agree: Morton will finish above them

hfc rd
12-06-2016, 10:53 PM
I honestly think we will comfortably win this league and be looking forward to being back where we belong in 9 months (March) having wrapped up league win a months to spare.

This is my thinking as well. I think we will win it comfortably. Just need to consistently get the results week in, week out and we'll be champions.

Jones28
13-06-2016, 01:03 AM
I have a feeling we will storm it. So aye, playoffs it is 😉

Sean1875
13-06-2016, 07:10 AM
as it's been said, absolutely no excuses for not winning the league this year, shouldn't have to worry about any other teams.

I do hope Dunfermline do well though. always had a soft spot for them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

makaveli1875
13-06-2016, 07:30 AM
1 of my jambo workmates reckons gavin reilly is dunfermline bound

Matty_Jack04
13-06-2016, 07:52 AM

Agree the only full time team in the league think they'll be doing well to stay up never mind compete for promotion, st mirren, Falkirk and United are the ones to watch I'm not buying the whole Utd thing with no players etc that will all be sorted by the time the window shuts and i expect McKinnon to have a well organised team, it's massive we get a good start this year and take it too them from the start

Auckland Hibs
13-06-2016, 07:58 AM
1 of my jambo workmates reckons gavin reilly is dunfermline bound

There's a thread on Brokenback saying the same thing.

He's not really set the heather on fire at the PBS so not surprised he's being loaned out.

GordonHFC
13-06-2016, 09:47 AM
Agree the only full time team in the league think they'll be doing well to stay up never mind compete for promotion, st mirren, Falkirk and United are the ones to watch I'm not buying the whole Utd thing with no players etc that will all be sorted by the time the window shuts and i expect McKinnon to have a well organised team, it's massive we get a good start this year and take it too them from the start

Completely agree. Its about time we were being chased instead of us doing the chasing.

erin go bragh
13-06-2016, 09:59 AM
The only time I'll be watching Utd and Falkirk is when we're playing them .
Cannie wait to see the Scottish cup holders in action .

GreenCastle
13-06-2016, 10:02 AM
Looking forward to away trips to both these stadiums - I am sure we will take large followings to both.

Utds ground is a needing upgrading though.

I am hoping Hibs start well and all the teams below - Falkirk, St Mirren, Utd take points off each other which over time opens up a gap for us to win league.

Finn2015
13-06-2016, 10:24 AM
Dunfermline is a great away day from previous experience hope to get to a few away days as long as my wife doesn't kill me

LustForLeith
13-06-2016, 10:39 AM
I know I've talked him up a lot on here but i really think Nathan Austin is going to be a huge player for Falkirk next season. He is one to watch.

:agree:

Saw him play quite a few times and agree. Sometimes at East Fife he was crying out for a striking partner, then when he played with one like Kevin Smith he delivered. Great pace about him.

If him and Baird are the front two and they hit form could be one of the best forward pairings in the Championship since Hemmings and Stewart at Cowdenbeath a few seasons ago.

Finn2015
13-06-2016, 10:50 AM
Yip I anticipate Falkirk will be a real threat. This won't be an easy league get out of

andrew70
13-06-2016, 10:56 AM
United are signing Stewart Murdoch from Ross County according to twitter

Craig_in_Prague
13-06-2016, 10:59 AM
Yip I anticipate Falkirk will be a real threat. This won't be an easy league get out of

I think we'll romp it.

CapitalGreen
13-06-2016, 11:00 AM
United are signing Stewart Murdoch from Ross County according to twitter

He's rotten

Finn2015
13-06-2016, 11:03 AM
I think we'll romp it.

I hope your right!

andrew70
13-06-2016, 11:17 AM
He's rotten

Agreed, County ripped up his contract so I think that tells you all we need to know.

Marco G
13-06-2016, 11:29 AM
United are signing Stewart Murdoch from Ross County according to twitterUnited will have funding problems - no parachute payment for them. McKinnon in fact struggled with Raith last season, they were well down the league, until a couple of loan signings at the window turned things around for an amazing run in. So I feel again it's likely to be Falkirk as our main rivals, and this time we won't slacken off!

RoxburghHibs
13-06-2016, 11:31 AM
United will have funding problems - no parachute payment for them. McKinnon in fact struggled with Raith last season, they were well down the league, until a couple of loan signings at the window turned things around for an amazing run in. So I feel again it's likely to be Falkirk as our main rivals, and this time we won't slacken off!

No parachute payment? Why is that?

13-06-2016, 11:37 AM
Dundee Utd are almost an exact copy of what happened to us. Sold all their good players, replaced them with rubbish and as a result spiralled towards relegation. They've got a lot of rebuilding to do, much like we did after we were relegated. They will strengthen and will be back in the top flight again but I think this year they might be the same as we were in our 1st season here.

Marco G
13-06-2016, 01:30 PM
No parachute payment? Why is that? Because they finished bottom. Only second bottom relegated via play off gets parachute payment (like we did)

hibs0666
13-06-2016, 01:34 PM
At the end of May Dundee United had sold 2,000 season tickets - 500 less than Dunfermline and the same as St. Mirren.

Hermit Crab
13-06-2016, 02:11 PM
Dunfermline have sold 2700 season tickets. They will be nowhere near the playoffs in my opinion. Their objective will be to stay up along with Ayr Utd.

Baldy Foghorn
13-06-2016, 02:30 PM
Dunfermline have sold 2700 season tickets. They will be nowhere near the playoffs in my opinion. Their objective will be to stay up along with Ayr Utd.

They have sold more than Dundee Utd then......

jgl07
13-06-2016, 03:52 PM
I am certainly glad to see Dunfermline back up. They should bring decent support to Easter Road along with United and Falkirk.

RoxburghHibs
14-06-2016, 10:14 AM
Because they finished bottom. Only second bottom relegated via play off gets parachute payment (like we did)

Ah okay didn't know that!

£500k less in Dundee United's budget in that case!!

Dashing Bob S
14-06-2016, 11:04 AM
There will be a surprise packet team, I'm predicting. Maybe a St Mirren or even Dunfermline, who make a good start and gain traction and self belief.

I'd like us to have a monster start, win the first ten then look down the table to see how the rest are shaping up.

CallumLaidlaw
14-06-2016, 11:36 AM
Falkirk have sold just over 1k season tickets to date. They've just extended their early bird offer.

Rumour on twitter that Kevin Thomson is signing for the Pars.

Geo_1875
14-06-2016, 12:02 PM
I am certainly glad to see Dunfermline back up. They should bring decent support to Easter Road along with United and Falkirk.

Dunfermline is always a good day out.

Del Boy
19-06-2016, 10:33 AM
Cammy Bell meant to have signed contract with Dundee Utd

Aldo
19-06-2016, 11:06 AM
Falkirk have sold just over 1k season tickets to date. They've just extended their early bird offer. Rumour on twitter that Kevin Thomson is signing for the Pars.

Others have alluded that a Falkirk player has been in the media this morning going on about budgets. If they've only sold 1k season tickets the WOW! That's very poor considering how well they over achieved last season!

Think they may struggle this year!

cabbageandribs1875
19-06-2016, 11:20 AM
st.mirren's tony fitzpatrick thinks his club can have a team topping the SPL within 3 years

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36559890

Finn2015
19-06-2016, 11:22 AM
st.mirren's tony fitzpatrick thinks his club can have a team topping the SPL within 3 years

Got to admit I don't know to much but there have been reports they have built a good academy structure and hoping it will lead to them having a very strong future

Finn2015
19-06-2016, 11:23 AM
Others have alluded that a Falkirk player has been in the media this morning going on about budgets. If they've only sold 1k season tickets the WOW! That's very poor considering how well they over achieved last season!

Depends on if they can keep their squad together. Still fear they will be right up there

Smartie
19-06-2016, 11:24 AM

And as if the story wasn't bonkers enough they appear to have used a photo of post hair transplant Johnny Ball at the top of the article.

Eyrie
19-06-2016, 11:43 AM

Targeting the SPL shows a lack of ambition. I remember when Hearts only took five years to be champions of Europe.

hibs0666
19-06-2016, 11:47 AM
Got to admit I don't know to much but there have been reports they have built a good academy structure and hoping it will lead to them having a very strong future

The club has a five star youth academy. Only Celtic and huns have a better rating.

Finn2015
19-06-2016, 11:59 AM
Targeting the SPL shows a lack of ambition. I remember when Hearts only took five years to be champions of Europe.

😂😂😂

Famous Fiver
19-06-2016, 06:02 PM
Lee Miller was on Sportsound today. Didn't catch more than a few seconds but I bet he was in whine mode.

Anybody able to expand on it.

Btw the solution is in their own hands, sell more s/ts and grow your club, otherwise you will always be windae lickin', did I mention Lee Miller.

Never mention that they got a Council sbsidised pitch, use Stirling University training facilities for a pittance while we paid every last penny for our ground and training facilities ourselves, without any subsidy from anywhere. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, Mr Houston. Selective in your comments, or what?

Please, oh, please Craig Paterson, mention this next time he is on the radio whining about resources. If they had to pay what we have paid they would be lucky to afford a tea lady.

renato
19-06-2016, 08:11 PM
One good thing about having the Pars and Arabs in the league next year is the quality away trips for us, in large(ish) stadiums with a lot of empty seats for us to fill.

We'll take anywhere between 4 and 6k to east end park and at least 4k to tannadice. It'll be refreshing compared to the toy town Falkirk and St Mirren park limited away ends...

Finn2015
19-06-2016, 08:12 PM
One good thing about having the Pars and Arabs in the league next year is the quality away trips for us, in large(ish) stadiums with a lot of empty seats for us to fill.

We'll take anywhere between 4 and 6k to east end park and at least 4k to tannadice. It'll be refreshing compared to the toy town Falkirk and St Mirren park limited away ends...

True. Sorely tempted to get to a few always this season

Pete
20-06-2016, 07:06 AM

They've also had quite a few kicks in the teeth over the years that's maybe put fans off. The semi defeat, the cup final defeat and the thrashing off killie have maybe taken their toll. Fans are maybe also sick of their board and the way they sell all their talent.

It looks like we will be one of the few teams with a genuine feel good factor in this league and that will count for a lot.

P.s. I'll worry about St. Mirren and their super duper youth team when it happens. Even if it does they'll just be plundered before they can do anything of note. Sad but we've got McGinn so I'm not that bothered. :-)

CallumLaidlaw
20-06-2016, 03:42 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160620/8d98e061ce8b24cdabc2882f82ef9e32.jpg

jgl07
20-06-2016, 08:08 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160620/8d98e061ce8b24cdabc2882f82ef9e32.jpg
Well done the Pars.

They are a bigger club than half the Premiership teams.

Cocaine&Caviar
20-06-2016, 09:24 PM
The club has a five star youth academy. Only Celtic and huns have a better rating.

What players have Rangers produced???

20-06-2016, 09:36 PM
Falkirks constant moaning and their "oh poor us, we have less money etc" is getting highly tiresome and boring. Houston seems incapable of getting through an interview without bleating on about it. Its actually becoming pretty embarrassing for them to be honest. Get over yourself Houston you utterly classless, greetin faced prick:bye::giruy2:

Maybe they should be concentrating more on boosting their ST sales than feeling sorry for themselves.

hibs0666
20-06-2016, 09:38 PM
What players have Rangers produced???

Ian Durrant and John Greig :-)

Peevemor
20-06-2016, 09:40 PM
Falkirks constant moaning and their "oh poor us, we have less money etc" is getting highly tiresome and boring. Houston seems incapable of getting through an interview without bleating on about it. Its actually becoming pretty embarrassing for them to be honest. Get over yourself Houston you utterly classless, greetin faced prick:bye::giruy2:

Maybe they should be concentrating more on boosting their ST sales than feeling sorry for themselves.

Totten kept at it last time we were in the first division.

calumhibee1
20-06-2016, 09:43 PM
Well done the Pars.

They are a bigger club than half the Premiership teams.

Yup. A club that I don't really have a bad word to say about. Hopefully they come up with us via the playoffs/next year as champions.

Finn2015
20-06-2016, 09:49 PM
Sad to think the last time I saw a Hibernian vs Dunfermline fixture it was the SPL.

Gatecrasher
21-06-2016, 12:06 PM
Dundee Utd about to sign Cammy Bell and supposed to be interested in Willo Flood.

Dashing Bob S
21-06-2016, 12:09 PM
Dundee Utd about to sign Cammy Bell and supposed to be interested in Willo Flood.

Can't see Fudd taking a step down. Still a decent player in my book.

pacoluna
21-06-2016, 12:40 PM
Sad to think the last time I saw a Hibernian vs Dunfermline fixture it was the SPL.
The last fixture between us we relegated them, 4 nout at ER

bigwheel
21-06-2016, 12:45 PM
The last fixture between us we relegated them, 4 nout at ER

We played them preseason last season ....decent match

pacoluna
21-06-2016, 01:16 PM
We played them preseason last season ....decent match
I know, it was when #Seagullgate took place - I was referring to last competitive fixture.