PDA

View Full Version : Dean Shiels

hibby rae
11-06-2016, 09:32 AM
Been freed by The Rangers. I remember thinking at the time when all these players were going from other top flight teams to join them that they would be punted as soon as they got into the Premiership. Law, Clark and Templeton all punted as well.
I'm sure he made a bit of cash out of the move but career-wise not the best for him. Capped 14 times by Northern Ireland prior to dropping down the divisions, but not once since. If he'd went elsewhere he might have been in Fance right now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36498729

hibs#1
11-06-2016, 09:41 AM
Been freed by The Rangers. I remember thinking at the time when all these players were going from other top flight teams to join them that they would be punted as soon as they got into the Premiership. Law, Clark and Templeton all punted as well.
I'm sure he made a bit of cash out of the move but career-wise not the best for him. Capped 14 times by Northern Ireland prior to dropping down the divisions, but not once since. If he'd went elsewhere he might have been in Fance right now.

Yeah I said the same thing at the time plenty of cash but no career left

Brightside
11-06-2016, 09:41 AM
Please no.

givescotlandfreedom
11-06-2016, 09:43 AM
I'm no doubt wearing green tinted specs but he's looked a horrible and dirty player since he went to sevco to me. A yelp too.

JeMeSouviens
11-06-2016, 09:43 AM
One of the things that stuck out for me watching the final over again, he was absolutely woeful.

Hibbyradge
11-06-2016, 09:47 AM
Yeah I said the same thing at the time plenty of cash but no career left

He's 31. He's exactly where he wants to be in terms of his career.

He was never good enough to replace any of the current NI squad, so he wouldn't be with them in France, regardless of who he signed for.

And who's to say any teams in higher divisions wanted him when he moved to Rangers?

hibby rae
11-06-2016, 09:48 AM
Please no.

Oh I wouldn't want any of them. I think Lennon would question their integrity anyway!

stantonhibby
11-06-2016, 09:48 AM
One of the things that stuck out for me watching the final over again, he was absolutely woeful.

Indeed. My brother in-law is a Rangers fan and was at the game. Said Sheils was like playing with a man short when he came on.

hibby rae
11-06-2016, 09:50 AM

He was never good enough to replace any of the current NI squad, so he wouldn't be with them in France, regardless of who he signed for.

And who's to say any teams in higher divisions wanted him when he moved to Rangers?

Possibly, but on the other hand, surely playing at a higher level would have facilitated a greater development of his abilities? Even if that meant going to the English League 1 or something rather than the Scottish League 2.

High-On-Hibs
11-06-2016, 09:53 AM
Sold his career down the toilet when he signed for them. No sympathy for him at all.

Forza Fred
11-06-2016, 09:54 AM
Possibly, but on the other hand, surely playing at a higher level would have facilitated a greater development of his abilities? Even if that meant going to the English League 1 or something rather than the Scottish League 2.

Hope John McGinn's no reading this:agree:

Hibbyradge
11-06-2016, 09:57 AM

Nah.

I would question the sanity of any 27 year old player, who turned down a lucrative contract because he "might get better" playing somewhere else.

How long does it take to "get better" at that age? Is it even possible? And who would want him when he was older, but possibly "better"?

If he had refused to sign for them because they were a corrupt and file institution, then I'd support that moral stance, but it would have made no sense career wise.

Hibbyradge
11-06-2016, 10:00 AM
Sold his career down the toilet when he signed for them. No sympathy for him at all.

What career? He's done extremely well out of his career.

He won't get any sympathy from me either. I doubt he wants any.

I'm sure he'll find a club which will pay him handsomely for another couple of years at least while his investments continue to grow.

hibby rae
11-06-2016, 10:01 AM
Nah.

I would question the sanity of any 27 year old player, who turned down a lucrative contract because he "might get better" playing somewhere else.

How long does it take to "get better" at that age? Is it even possible? And who would want him when he was older, but possibly "better"?

If he had refused to sign for them because they were a corrupt and file institution, then I'd support that moral stance, but it would have made no sense career wise.

Tough to say, but I'd say it is possible. Though maybe the exception rather than the rule. Perhaps not the best comparison, but Gary McAllister at Liverpool probably played the best football of his career and he was what, 35?

SlickShoes
11-06-2016, 10:01 AM
Nah.

Can't even blame him for going really, like you said he was 26/27, he was never good enough to get a very big payday move.

He's made well over £1 million from The Rangers and he still has a couple of years left to go and play somewhere probably championship level.

monktonharp
11-06-2016, 10:04 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36498729it's a big NO from me if he were to come back to us. I'd rather have Ivan Sproule than him! and he's retired. Law, on the other hand looked like one of The Rangers best players a year ago imho and would be a good asset. Templeton, well I just laugh, he promised so much with the gorgie mob but now he's oot on his erse.

easty
Nah.

Yep.

He was a pretty good SPL player. He could have stayed there and played for Motherwell or Inverness or something, but he went to Rangers and made himself better money.

I don't think he did the wrong thing.

Lee Wallace should have moved down south. His career hasn't benefited from being at Rangers the last few years. Cannae really think of any others I'd say the same about though.

Spike Mandela
Talented laddie. Has my respect for getting so far in football despite his disability.

Hibbyradge
11-06-2016, 10:06 AM
Tough to say, but I'd say it is possible. Though maybe the exception rather than the rule. Perhaps not the best comparison, but Gary McAllister at Liverpool probably played the best football of his career and he was what, 35?

Would you take the risk that you'd improve to the extent that another big club would offer you a contract big enough to make up for what you'd missed out on during your "getting better" years?

Maybe aged 17, but not 27.

magpie1892
11-06-2016, 10:07 AM

That's actually a fairly decent shout. Tin hat on but I've seen Ian Black a few times as I find myself in Shrewbury from time-to-time and he looks like a completely different player than the one at yam and hun. He can actually play, believe it or not...

High-On-Hibs
11-06-2016, 10:09 AM
What career? He's done extremely well out of his career.

That's subjective. If you're talking from a purely financial perspective, then he did "ok". But the boy wasted years playing plumbers and painters, when he could have been performing at a higher level and could have found himself in that Euro team.

I suppose it comes down to what you value more.

I'm sure he'll find a club which will pay him handsomely for another couple of years at least while his investments continue to grow.

Wouldn't be so sure about that. Dropped by a side who obviously don't think he'll be able to hack it in the Scottish Premiership. Don't see him going anywhere that will "pay him handsomely".

hibby rae
11-06-2016, 10:12 AM
Would you take the risk that you'd improve to the extent that another big club would offer you a contract big enough to make up for what you'd missed out on during your "getting better" years?

Maybe aged 17, but not 27.

Well I'd like to think so, but who can say. :wink: I did leave my job at 29 to finally go to uni and just got my 2:1 on Thursday! I have never been so poor. But in the long run it will be more beneficial for me! :greengrin

Hibbyradge
11-06-2016, 10:15 AM
That's subjective. If you're talking from a purely financial perspective, then he did "ok". But the boy wasted years playing plumbers and painters, when he could have been performing at a higher level and could have found himself in that Euro team.

Wouldn't be so sure about that. Dropped by a side who obviously don't think he'll be able to hack it in the Scottish Premiership. Don't see him going anywhere that will "pay him handsomely".

I guess it depends on what you deem as "handsome". 😀

He'll get a signing on fee and a salary higher than most people on here receive.

The average wage in the UK is less than £28k. Compared to that, he'll be rewarded handsomely all right. Even £750 a week is about £40k a year.

Finn2015
11-06-2016, 10:15 AM
Got nothing against him but wouldn't want him at hibs. Maybe a championship/league one side in England

SlickShoes
11-06-2016, 10:17 AM

He was on upwards of £5k a week at the rangers, he is good enough to play in the premiership if he put his mind to it, but he is not worth anywhere in the region of 5 grand a week.

HibbyAndy
11-06-2016, 10:20 AM
Wasn't he a standout for Doncaster which earned him a move to his auld mans team Killie ?

High-On-Hibs
11-06-2016, 10:21 AM
He was on upwards of £5k a week at the rangers, he is good enough to play in the premiership if he put his mind to it, but he is not worth anywhere in the region of 5 grand a week.

I agree. However, he could have been worth more if he had made braver choices in his career. I just hate to see players choose convenience over potential. But that's just me.

skyehibee
11-06-2016, 10:21 AM
He's pish. Wouldn't start ahead of any of our midfield

Hibbyradge
11-06-2016, 10:23 AM
Well I'd like to think so, but who can say. :wink: I did leave my job at 29 to finally go to uni and just got my 2:1 on Thursday! I have never been so poor. But in the long run it will be more beneficial for me! :greengrin

Congratulations!:thumbsup:

That's a brave thing to do, and I hope you realise the benefits you deserve.

Maybe Dean Shiels will do the same. :wink:

hibby rae
11-06-2016, 11:02 AM
Congratulations!:thumbsup:

That's a brave thing to do, and I hope you realise the benefits you deserve.

Maybe Dean Shiels will do the same. :wink:

Cheers! Despite the financial hardships I don't regret it at all. I loved being at uni, best decision I ever made!

hibs#1
11-06-2016, 11:06 AM

I'm pretty sure at the time ourselves and other spl teams offered hI'm a deal

And possibly if he played regularly at higher level he would be in France right now

HIBERNIAN-0762
11-06-2016, 11:12 AM
No thanks, yet another pointless but predictable thread.

Frazerbob
11-06-2016, 11:12 AM
Dean was never as good as the rest of the young team who came through together. Did well at Killie and has probably earned more from his time at Sevco than his ability warrants.

hibby rae
11-06-2016, 11:17 AM
Dean was never as good as the rest of the young team who came through together. Did well at Killie and has probably earned more from his time at Sevco than his ability warrants.

Although as celebrations go after scoring a penalty against Hearts he was second to none. :wink:

BS44
11-06-2016, 11:19 AM
Fondly remembered for smashing home the winner at Tynecastle against the charity thieving dogs

Franck Stanton
11-06-2016, 11:30 AM
Whilst in a Hibs jersey, liked him, liked him a lot. Very skillful player imo. However.....we did try and sign him at same time as sevco, he chose them. No big deal, he does support them after all. It was his aggressive, dirty play whilst with them that turned me against them. Turned into a right moaning-faced wee git who had sly digs at players when their backs were to him. A real Ankle-biter. Would I want him back ? Naw, I'll pass on that one.

northstandhibby
11-06-2016, 12:00 PM
Dean was a really good player for us and personally wish him well whatever club he goes onto. I like his dad Kenny too as I find he is always fair minded when commentating and as a pundit. Maybe that's why he doesn't get so many gigs now as he doesn't fit in with the biased hun media. I respect the both of them and wish them well.

Glory Glory

lucky
11-06-2016, 12:09 PM

But I doubt you'd have turned £6k a week not to go to uni

kaimendhibs
11-06-2016, 12:14 PM
I'm no doubt wearing green tinted specs but he's looked a horrible and dirty player since he went to sevco to me. A yelp too.

Could not agree more! Horrid little yelp

Allant1981
11-06-2016, 12:22 PM
I liked sheils when he was here but dont think he would offer anything now, not sure if he played every week for the rangers but didnt seem to have much about him in the final

vercol36
11-06-2016, 12:25 PM
Showed a bit of promise at Hibs, but considering his age, lack of improvement and release by Rangers, I can see him being bound for the rest of his career to the Dunfermlines and Raith Rovers of the world

snooky
11-06-2016, 01:00 PM
I liked sheils when he was here but dont think he would offer anything now, not sure if he played every week for the rangers but didnt seem to have much about him in the final

I didn't rate him when he was at his peak, so by default, I'm with the 'no thanks' crowd.

Septimus
11-06-2016, 01:13 PM
Some years ago I sat beside Liam Brady on a flight from London to Dublin. When he heard that I supported Hibs he asked how Dean was doing.He said that when he had passed through his hands at Arsenal Dean was one of the best young prospects he had seen.

Ronniekirk
11-06-2016, 01:16 PM
Not what we need at the present time imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreenLake
11-06-2016, 01:24 PM

Congratulations on the 2.1. PhD next!

mjhibby
11-06-2016, 01:25 PM
I didn't rate him when he was at his peak, so by default, I'm with the 'no thanks' crowd.

Was always on the fringes at the Rangers. Great memories of him at er. If he could get back to the level he was at Killie we could do worse.

hibby rae
11-06-2016, 02:13 PM
Congratulations on the 2.1. PhD next!

Cheers! Ah the dream.

iwasthere1972
11-06-2016, 02:17 PM

Took the money over his career. Now where he deserves to be. Loved him at Hibs but that was then.

CRAZYHIBBY
11-06-2016, 02:18 PM
Wouldn't take him back.....he's had his time at hibs

Jonnyboy
11-06-2016, 09:04 PM
That's actually a fairly decent shout. Tin hat on but I've seen Ian Black a few times as I find myself in Shrewbury from time-to-time and he looks like a completely different player than the one at yam and hun. He can actually play, believe it or not...

Just think J, you'll get to see Gary Deegan and Ryan McGivern there next season too :wink:

Skol
11-06-2016, 09:09 PM
I always felt he didnt quite fit in to the way teams used to play being neither a striker or a midfielder. I think the player from Mowbray's time would have flourished in the Stubbs diamond asthe most advanced player