PDA

View Full Version : why do you support Hibs ?

Babyshamble
11-06-2016, 01:03 AM
As it says on the tin.my family are from fife.my grandad was a commando based in Edinburgh during WW 2.him & his mates had a day off & wanted to see a game of football.they went to tynecastle(it being the nearest place to their digs)hearts were away from home that day,they went to Easter Rd,& the rest is history.thank you grandad !!! GGTTH

Greencore
11-06-2016, 01:09 AM
I was brought up a Rangers fan as a young boy. I never understood the singing about the queen and the U.K..... But then started attending hibs games as a kid and well the rest is history. I am from Edinburgh and wanted to support my local team... My girlfriend asked me when we first got together why do you support hibs and not hearts? My reply? "Because hearts are sh*te"

Forza Fred
11-06-2016, 01:46 AM

'mon the beers
11-06-2016, 01:54 AM
I was brought up a Rangers fan as a young boy. I never understood the singing about the queen and the U.K..... But then started attending hibs games as a kid and well the rest is history. I am from Edinburgh and wanted to support my local team... My girlfriend asked me when we first got together why do you support hibs and not hearts? My reply? "Because hearts are sh*te"

I'm with you mate. Dads side of the family were from Govan so I was a 'Rangers' fan when I was younger. Mums parents were both Hibs fans but Mum was brainwashed to follow the Rangers. Took me til my teens to really realise how much I ditest them and what they stand for. Now I just love Hibs and a ST holder now, the cup final win will stay with me forever and confirm that, my wife is now a Hibs fan too after claiming to be a Celic fan.

connerg
11-06-2016, 03:49 AM
My Dad.

IWasThere2016
11-06-2016, 03:59 AM
I'm with you mate. Dads side of the family were from Govan so I was a 'Rangers' fan when I was younger. Mums parents were both Hibs fans but Mum was brainwashed to follow the Rangers. Took me til my teens to really realise how much I ditest them and what they stand for. Now I just love Hibs and a ST holder now, the cup final win will stay with me forever and confirm that, my wife is now a Hibs fan too after claiming to be a Celic fan.

It's catching! My Dad's a Hun, but when I told him I liked Pat Stanton and the Hibs he went straight out and bought me a Hibs strip. I saved my brother and two sons and they're Hibs too.

Sean1875
11-06-2016, 05:03 AM
never used to have much of an interest in Scottish football but was a big Man United fan, my first Scottish football game was actually a Hearts v Ross County game in the cup (forgive me :greengrin ) which naturally did nothing for me! few years later back in 2005 my uncle (posts on here under 'Badabing' occasionally) took me along to a Hibs v Motherwell game and within seconds I was hooked.. says it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

h1bee123
11-06-2016, 05:19 AM
Through my Dad. He grew up just off Leith Walk and was big a fan growing up, but moved down South in early 20s and lost interest. After having kids it was a good way to bond with us and he got me and my brother into Scottish Football and eventually Hibs. Since we lived down South, most matches I saw growing up were during the Xmas break and always enjoyed the New Year Derbies - Millennium Derby being my favourite game and Kevin Harper's volley my favourite goal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22VILslJNB0 (the amount of times I tried to recreate this on the playground). Its such a shame he never got to see us win the cup, but i'm so grateful that he introduced me to this great club and sometimes i wonder how poorer my life would be without Hibs.

Pete
11-06-2016, 05:21 AM
My Dad.

Grew up watching both Edinburgh teams but the place your dad took you to when you were wee will always be your footballing home.

Ray_
11-06-2016, 05:26 AM
Brought up in Portobello and they were my local team. My late dad was a Hearts fan that only went to the New Year derby, thankfully.

lucky
11-06-2016, 05:30 AM
Choice, as a kid nearly everyone at my school supported Hibs and went to the games so I did too.

Vault Boy
11-06-2016, 05:36 AM
Brought up in Portobello and they were my local team. My late dad was a Hearts fan that only went to the New Year derby, thankfully.

Because of this man. ^^^

Haymaker
11-06-2016, 05:43 AM
My old man. And thank **** for that.

celthedd1
11-06-2016, 05:44 AM

Went to watch a game when on a weekend rugby trip from North Wales in 1989, didnt get hooked at first but found myself looking out for Hibs results quite often and started going up to games around 15 years ago although not very often in all honesty, been to 14 away grounds in Scotland following Hibs.

Brizo
11-06-2016, 05:46 AM
My family can trace our Hibs connections back to 1875. Southsider , St Pats parish and primary school. Following another team wasn't an option.

Finn2015
11-06-2016, 05:58 AM
My parents are Irish and I'll admit most of my family are Celtic fans. I could easily have gone that way to but I attended my first game at Easter road when I was 7 and while I wont romanticise it by saying I was hooked, something I guess clicked. There is something about hibs. It's never dull and always highs and lows. I guess that's why I chose them. It's easier following a club like Celtic where winning has become a natural way of life but for me, it dilutes that 'winning' feeling. Any time Celtic have won the Scottish cup recently is almost just a natural run of things for them and there is no way i would imagine their support felt that elation that we did three weeks ago breaking that hoodoo. I guess that encapsulates it for me. It's hard to be a hibee a lot of the times, more lows than highs but there is a thrill about it in a certain and unexplainable way (I don't think I have done it justice above) and when the highs do come along, it is something really special

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-06-2016, 06:42 AM
My Dad.

the place your dad took you to when you were wee will always be your footballing home.

Very much this.

Paloschi
11-06-2016, 06:50 AM
As it says on the tin.my family are from fife.my grandad was a commando based in Edinburgh during WW 2.him & his mates had a day off & wanted to see a game of football.they went to tynecastle(it being the nearest place to their digs)hearts were away from home that day,they went to Easter Rd,& the rest is history.thank you grandad !!! GGTTH

My Dad was a tim. Tried to make me a Celtic fan. But I grew up less than 400 metres from Easter Road. It was my local team. My mum worked at ER too so that helped me along. From the age of 6 Hibs were in my heart

Super_JMcGinn
11-06-2016, 07:06 AM
Like so many others my Dad, my hero. xx

Canon Hannan
11-06-2016, 07:11 AM
Hibernian have been in the family since the start. There are two sides to my family who supported Hibs - Leith Irish Immigrants including John Meaney who played for Hibs in the 1900s and then my Grandad and his family who were Leith dockers. My dad, 3 brothers and now our children are all Hibs. It has always been Hibernian it seems. I moved to the Borders, Glasgow and France for a while but now home in Inverleith. But I have this urge inside me to move to Leith one day, and it will happen. Hampden 2016 will live with me forever and my love for the club is stronger than ever now.

MyJo
11-06-2016, 07:12 AM
I was born into it. Family full of hibs fans and taken to Easter road from an early age.

i was 7 years old and at hampden when we won the Skol cup and can remember it to this day, I've now returned the favour to my son who is 7 and was with me at hampden to see us win the Scottish cup.

GordonHFC
11-06-2016, 07:13 AM
Cousin took me along to a game when I was 6. We were beaten by Dundee at Easter Road 3 1 and I was hooked. Remember that long walk down London Road to the game thinking it would never end.

davym7062
11-06-2016, 07:25 AM
Who else is there to support!!!!!

marinello59
11-06-2016, 07:32 AM
Why not? :greengrin

stoneyburn hibs
11-06-2016, 07:41 AM
My dad, who in his early years supported that lot. I'll put it down to being a mixed up kid as he was raised in Peirshill.

jane_says
11-06-2016, 07:50 AM
Best friend in primary school was a Hibs fan and got me into football to begin with. Always remember disliking the colour maroon and every last one of my family were yams to varying degrees so probably a bit of a rebellion. Converted my mum now though :)

Dashing Bob S
11-06-2016, 07:50 AM
Like so many on this thread, it was purely circumstance of birth.

I was the only one born into my Hearts family with stunning good looks, a huge *****, an extremely high IQ, and very developed sense of aesthetics. These factors, and the fact that I just wasn't sexually attracted to anybody else in my household, more or less compelled me to be a Hibs fan.

HibbyAndy
11-06-2016, 07:57 AM
Cause it feels right.

Diclonius
11-06-2016, 08:03 AM
Born in Longstone but left Edinburgh at a young age. Dad supported Celtic but not too interested in football until 13/14ish when I went to a game and took in the atmosphere. Decided to support one of my hometown teams, chose Hibs over Hearts for no particular reason and the rest is history.

lord bunberry
11-06-2016, 08:05 AM
When I realised I had a mother and a sister that weren't the same person, I knew at that point I wouldn't be welcome at tynecastle.

Ronniekirk
11-06-2016, 08:08 AM
My Uncle Dougie Kirk stayed in Easter Rd No 147 i think it was Ground floor fllat where you could go out back close door and see the Steam Trains go by (nostalgia ) The bedroom was at the front and i used to sneak through and watch the hoards of fans going to games
Eventually i was taken to a Celtic game and lifted over the Turnstile Was on my own but remember being caught in the sway of bodies moving when we scored and the singing The Atmosphere was electric
My dad supported them but mainly from his armchair
My Mum Gran and Big sister all supported Hearts

AndyM_1875
11-06-2016, 08:14 AM
Local team & some family link (Leith based on Dad's side) but more importantly I liked the Bukta strip in 1979 which I asked my Dad to get me for Christmas. He duly obliged and the rest is history.

Hibbyradge
11-06-2016, 08:16 AM
I'm a masochist.

Pretty Boy
11-06-2016, 08:17 AM
My Grandad.

I'm still not entirely sure how he came to support Hibs to be honest. He was brought up just off Grove Street a stones throw from Tynecastle and all his friends were Hearts fans yet he ended up supporting Hibs. My mum was an only child and followed suit. I was never going to have a choice who I supported even if I wanted one, which I didn't.

Nameless
11-06-2016, 08:20 AM
When I was younger, the only male in my life was my grandad. I adored him, and loved his stories about going to games in the 50's and 60's. He was a hun, but all his stories were about following Scotland, so as a lad I had a liking for Rangers. He took me to my first game, Huns-v-Sheep when I was 12, and I hated it. My friends at school(FatStu from here) were going to hibs games, and after going with them I knew I was home. I know how important it is to make these bonds early, so I took my son when he was 4, and now as a 5 year old he loves telling people he supports the best team in the world.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

AltheHibby
11-06-2016, 08:39 AM

I was the only one born into my Hearts family with stunning good looks, a huge *****, an extremely high IQ, and very developed sense of aesthetics. These factors, and the fact that I just wasn't sexually attracted to anybody else in my household, more or less compelled me to be a Hibs fan.

Same as Bob,but I also lived in Niddrie and hero worshipped Pat Stanton.

O'Rourke3
11-06-2016, 08:45 AM
Genuinely not sure. Dad's family all from Leith and he was a Hibby but stopped going before I was born. So growing up kicking a ball all day he may have mentioned the colour to get behind. The two guys who played football my age, my street, were also both Hibees. One from a Hibee family and the other not. So it feels like I was born one and there was no Road to Damascus moment.
First game when I was 9. Pals granddad took us both, Hibs v Hearts @ ER in Sept 1970. Huge crowd, draw, and couldn't wait to go back. Next game I actually remember was beating Malmo 6-0 in the Intercity Fairs Cup.

Barman Stanton
11-06-2016, 08:51 AM
Born and bred in Leith and my Dads a Hibee. I didn't really have a say in the matter!

Finn2015
11-06-2016, 08:55 AM
When I realised I had a mother and a sister that weren't the same person, I knew at that point I wouldn't be welcome at tynecastle.

😂😂😂😂😂👍

Baw187
11-06-2016, 08:56 AM
Born in to a Hibby family. My dad mainly cause he was brought up a Hibby by his uncle. Rest of his family didn't care much for football. My mum's side is huge (granny was one of 9) and they are all Hibbys. There's one Jambo in 3 generations and nobody speaks to him cause he's a twat.

Yorkshire HFC
11-06-2016, 08:59 AM
My dad used to take me along with him in the 70s when he used to go regularly. Then I used to go to the games with my next door neighbour and best mate at the time. When I went to college in Aberdeen in the 80s (when they were good) I went to all 8 Aberdeen v Hibs games in the 4 years I was there - 7 defeats and a 2 - 2 draw (when we'd been 2 nil up!). Since then I've also lived in London, Aberdeen and Leeds and only go to 1 / 2 games a season - but I'll always be a fan.

Deeds
11-06-2016, 09:26 AM
I was born in 64 and our family lived in the basement of the Hibs Club till I was 2. When the club relocated to where it is now and my family, all seven of us moved to Northfield. My dad continued to work as the Club Steward for a few years after that.

Hibs are all I've really known from day one. I fell in love with the strip from the first time I saw it.

My brother has great memories from those early days. Jock Stein allowing him kick a ball about on the pitch, he also remembers playing snooker against Joe Baker whilst standing on a crate to reach the table.

My auld man used to talk about the days at Carlton Terrace all the time. Sadly he died a few years ago now...but both my boys are wee hibbies now and I couldn't be prouder.

GG

mim
11-06-2016, 09:34 AM
Born and bred in Leith and my Dads a Hibee. I didn't really have a say in the matter!

This, plus the fact I'm a glory hunter (born 1946 :greengrin)

JimBHibees
11-06-2016, 09:38 AM

Classic :not worth:greengrin

McD
11-06-2016, 09:46 AM
My dad, born and bred in abbeyhill, his whole family are hibs fans. Couple even played for hibs. There was no way I wasn't following in my dad's footsteps, not because I was forced to, because I wanted and chose to.

my mum comes from a family of jambos but has always followed hibs also.

lugz
11-06-2016, 10:25 AM
Going against the grain here, my mum.
My mum and her family have always been hibs fans and my first house was on easter road.

My dad was a celtic fan and tried his best but to no avail (I did use it to get to see top teams in the CL haha)

MKHIBEE
11-06-2016, 10:39 AM
My mate asked me if I wanted to go to Easter Road with him to watch Hibs play Kilmarnock.
The game ended 3 each and that was it.

lyonhibs
11-06-2016, 10:40 AM
I wasn't really aware there was any other option to be honest.

Lee Marvin
11-06-2016, 10:52 AM
My whole family,grandad (75 years season ticket holder), dad and uncle are hibs fans. So my brother, cousin and I really had no option.

I always describe my relationship to hibs as that of a sibling, it's the same unconditional love regardless of whatever happens as I really know nothing else.

Topographic Hibby
11-06-2016, 10:57 AM

Snap. Father and grandfather born, lived and worked around Leith, Easter Road (the street), Lochend, the Links, Restalrig etc. and both big Hibs men. I was born in Leith in the 60s, raised on the Tornados, 0-7, Europe and that bloomin' cup. Like you, no real choice in things!!

Although neither of the old fellas lived to see "this", I know they are upstairs watchin and smiling!

Allant1981
11-06-2016, 11:52 AM
My mate asked me to go up to aberdeen on the supporters bus one weekend, didnt really have an interest in football until then, never looked back and that was 22yrs ago

#FromTheCapital
11-06-2016, 12:05 PM
Had no choice in the matter, from as early as I can remember there's only been one team for me. I've often slated my old man for bringing me up as a hibs fan, as the vast majority of my life we've been poor to average. But the 21st of May has made me realise that this team is in my blood and I wouldn't change it for the world, GGTTH.

One Day Soon
11-06-2016, 12:22 PM
1st December 1979 - Hibernian 2 Partick Thistle 1 (George Best home debut)

I was 15 and my best mate and his dad were going to the game. His dad suggested he invite me along. So, thank you Mr Donaldson up above for giving me the chance.

In a crowd of over 20,000 I saw a player I'd grown up idolising playing for a team in green and white strips that were a thing of blinding beauty. I lost my heart to Hibernian forever that day.

I was football daft from the beginning. At school and at home all I wanted to do was go outside with a ball at my feet. I remember crying my eyes out aged just 5 watching Italy lose the 1970 World Cup final to Brazil - our family is part Italian. The 1982 World Cup was one of the football highlights of my life and sweet, sweet revenge after 12 years of hurt to beat both Brazil and West Germany to win it. Don't get me started on Scotland in Argentina in 1978. So while I was football daft it took something unique to attract me to one club.

I had previously been taken to see Meadowbank Thistle (various games) by my cousin and Hearts (against Rangers, first game at Tynecastle for Willie Johnston there after 1978 World Cup disgrace) by my uncle. Both okay experiences but completely underwhelming really.

There's just something very special about that strip and this club.

Mrs One Day Soon is now converted to us from Dunfermline and both the little One Day Soons are full-on Hibees.

Bishop Hibee
11-06-2016, 12:29 PM
Family supported Hibs since 1875. My 3 boys are Hibs fans too. Character building!

The_Exile
11-06-2016, 12:36 PM
I never grew up supporting a particular team, I would go to Tynecastle one week and Easter Road the next, I loved fitba and would even nip along to watch Meadowbank back in the day and sometimes make the trip over to Dunfermline if there wasn't a big game on at Tynie/ER. The party songs at Tynecastle put me off when I reached my teens and figured out what they were all about and if truth be told I always felt more at home at Easter Road and stopped going to Tynecastle completely at around 14 years old (mid 90's).

TL:DR - Cos Hibs are sexy as **** :greengrin

hibs69
11-06-2016, 01:06 PM

That is class! LOL.

My dad was (and still is) into the horse racing......., nothing else!
All my uncles were Hibs fans.
At age 6, my nana bought me a Hibs scarf with yellow in it around birthday time in October.
"You sure this is Hibs, Nana?"
"Aye son"
Then heard the nana singing Celtic songs at an Xmas party in the December. Old bstd!!
Moaned my tits off until a full Hibs strip was bought for me by one of my uncles.
First ever game was v Partick @ ER aged 7, The one and only time I've ever tasted bovril.

H18S NX
11-06-2016, 01:14 PM
I was named Gordon after Gordon smith,so you can say i was born a hibby,THANK GOD.

Enough said
11-06-2016, 01:14 PM
It's a way of life for myself and my family 💚💚

surreyhibbie
11-06-2016, 01:26 PM
None of my family were football fans. But a mate who lived in the same stair as me, Pete Gray, was a Hibs man.

He started taking me to games being a couple of years older than me. First game was a pre season friendly against Newcastle United.

I as amazed at the size of the crowd and can still remember the view from the very top of the old East terrace. I was blown away.

Then found out a couple of schoolmates were also hibbies and it just went from there.

Thanks Pete !

blaikie
11-06-2016, 01:28 PM
Started to get into football when McLeish was manager, asked my dad who's an old Celtic diehard to buy me a Hibs shirt ..... The love began from there! Could have been easier to support Celtic like my friends at the time, but there is something magical about Hibs 💚

The Harp Awakes
11-06-2016, 01:30 PM
Hibernian have been in the family since the start. There are two sides to my family who supported Hibs - Leith Irish Immigrants including John Meaney who played for Hibs in the 1900s and then my Grandad and his family who were Leith dockers. My dad, 3 brothers and now our children are all Hibs. It has always been Hibernian it seems. I moved to the Borders, Glasgow and France for a while but now home in Inverleith. But I have this urge inside me to move to Leith one day, and it will happen. Hampden 2016 will live with me forever and my love for the club is stronger than ever now.

Similar to myself. One side of my Dad's family were originally from Donegal and lived in the Canongate and my great grandfather was baptised by Canon Edward Joseph Hannan in 1871 in St Pats Church.

Not that I knew much about that as a kid of course. I grew up in Lochend, went to a primary 500 yards from Easter Road and both my parents were Hibbys.

Not much chance I'd ever be anything other than a Hibee I suppose:greengrin

Greencore
11-06-2016, 01:32 PM
Similar to myself. One side of my Dad's family were originally from Donegal and lived in the Canongate and my great grandfather was baptised by Canon Edward Joseph Hannan in 1871 in St Pats Church.

Not that I knew much about that as a kid of course. I grew up in Lochend, went to a primary 500 yards from Easter Road and with both my parents were Hibbys.

Not much chance I'd ever be anything other than a Hibee I suppose:greengrin
Great post.

heretoday
11-06-2016, 01:34 PM
Dad used to take me to ER one week and Tynie the next. Dunno why I plumped for Hibs. Possibly because they played the latest chart hits on the tannoy - courtesy of Bandparts - as opposed to the traditional brass band marching round the Gorgie track.

That and the white sleeves. It really was as banal as that!

snooky
11-06-2016, 01:36 PM
My auld man was born in Albion Place - say nae mair. :cool2:

Eyrie
11-06-2016, 02:17 PM
"It seemed to be a good idea at the time."

tartanhibee
11-06-2016, 02:33 PM
my uncle used to take me when I was wee. It was better than going shopping with my mum & gran. Never really watch the game at first just used to watch the crowd and there reaction used to go to old east so couldn't really see. I just fell in love with it and I'm glad I did.

hibby6270
11-06-2016, 03:03 PM
My Dad took me to my first game and he got the Hibs bug from his Dad - my Grandad.

Grandad had a home bakery and use to supply food to the board room for every home game. I used to go with either my Dad or Grandad to deliver it on a Saturday morning. Because I was just a laddie 7 or 8 year old, I was allowed to run up and down the tunnel in the old main stand pretending I was Peter Cormack. Great memories.

Newcastlehibby
11-06-2016, 03:08 PM
A friend's Dad took me to Easter Road in 1965. Hibs got a corner and the support starting chanting 'Big John, Big John.' I was hooked , apparently for life!

davy malcolm
11-06-2016, 03:10 PM
My dad and his pals Jimmy Manson and Alex wingate to every home and game and most away games also to European games they were Turin Liverpool Leeds my regrets are they never seen there team win the Scottish cup they've all passed away but I know they were with me in spirit wish my old man seen his team when they won Scottish cup he was my pal as well as my DAD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jingler1954
11-06-2016, 03:26 PM
I'm from Inverness originally and I used to work on my cousins farm in Aberdeenshire he was a big Hibs fan and used to tell me stories about the Famous Five. At 7 years old I became a hibs fan. My family moved down to Edinburgh in 1972 I was 16 and started going to every Hibs game home and away.55 years later I'm still going to every game home and away. Iam a Hibs fan who has enjoyed all the highs especially 21.05.2016 there have never been any lows for me|

gazzag70
11-06-2016, 03:37 PM
My Dad,caught the tail end of the tornadoes-hooked ever since.GGTTH!!

Joe Baker2
11-06-2016, 03:52 PM
Green blood mate. Passed down from father to son for generations. Dan McMichael the Hibs manager who won the Scottish Cup the last time was my great uncle - RIP.

Dr What If?
11-06-2016, 05:00 PM
No family connection, just too good looking to be a jambo.

Fisherrow Harp
11-06-2016, 05:14 PM
My Grandad, his brothers were all Jambos, he was a Hibs fan as in his words " it's two tram fares to Tyncastle and one to Easter road". As good a reason as any and we were brought up Hibs fans. Sadly we lost my brother when he joined the dark side.

Fisherrow Harp
11-06-2016, 05:15 PM
No family connection, just too good looking to be a jambo.
👍

Sir David Gray
11-06-2016, 05:21 PM
My mum's supported Hibs since her early teens. None of my family are from Edinburgh and none of my family have even stayed there but she worked in Edinburgh and when me and my brother were born, there was only one team we were ever going to support.

It's just the three of us in the family who support Hibs, others in the family like to see Hibs do well because of us but it's just us who go to games.

BSEJVT
11-06-2016, 05:40 PM
Born and bred into a Hibs family from Leith (laterally Craigentinny and Portobello)

Had the good fortune to grow up watching the Tornadoes and always loved our green and white strips.

Children are now die hard Hibs supporters too both son and daughter

Hopefully we will have a lineage of Hibs supporting successors for all eternity

#persevered
11-06-2016, 05:53 PM
My dad was a rangers fan but didn't want me near the bigotry. He said I could choose whoever I wanted. I was a boy so I just looked in my panini sticker album, liked the green and asked to go to a game. Once I was at ER that was that.

heidtheba
11-06-2016, 06:10 PM
Wasn't interested in football at all until a mate at uni took me for my 18th birthday. We watched Hibs get beaten by Rangers 4-3 at ER. Wouldn't say I was hooked on the football as much as the crowd and the 'banter'. Attended matches regularly in 93/94 and then had STs in 94/95 and 95/96. Attended most matches through to our relegation season where my interest was moving to other things. Hibs.net rekindled it.
Couldn't 'support' anyone else and don't consider myself a real fan...but once it's there you can't claim it wasn't and you can't change. Not that I'd want to either.

I lost contact with the guy who first took me but I'd love him to know his birthday gift still remains with me. Not sure how I'd go about finding him but I'm sure someone on here must know him.

jacomo
11-06-2016, 06:35 PM
No real club affiliations in my family - as a boy I supported Scotland but not a club. Growing up in the 80s, I remember school mates supporting both Hibs and Hearts, but also the OF, Arabs and Dons (glory hunters, basically).

It was Mercer's attempted take over that did it. I knew instinctively that it was wrong and resolved to support Hibs from that point onwards. At the time, I thought my support would be pretty futile as Hibs might disappear as a club - but Hibs it was.

Mikers110
11-06-2016, 06:45 PM
Dad was a Hibs supporter during the forties and fifties, but very old school in that he watched Hibs one week then Hearts the next. Mum was, and still is, a big Celtic fan, along with my older brother and Mum's side of the family. I had nipped my brother to take me to a Celtic game, but being that little bit older he always found an excuse not to take me; the real reason I found out years later was that he didn't want his little brother telling Mum and Dad that he was swearing😀. Dad finally decided that he would have to take me to a game himself, so we ended up going to the 1968 cup final. Although I was 'neutral' at this point and we got hammered 6-2 I had decided that, as I was from Edinburgh, why would you want to support a team from Glasgow, so Hibs became my team. Still get the proverbial ripped out of me at family get togethers from my Celtic glory hunting cousins, but strangely looking forward to the next get together:wink::wink:

h1bee123
11-06-2016, 06:49 PM
Lots of talk on here about sons and daughters supporting different teams to father. I have not yet had kids but would be very disappointed if they did not become part of the Hibernian family. It was such an important way of bonding for me and my dad and I hope i have that too.

Craig_HFC
11-06-2016, 06:51 PM
My whole family are Hibbies from birth. My dad played for Hibs for a bit too before I was born.

He took me along to ER for the first time when I was 5 (we beat Motherwell 4-2) and ever since then Hibs have been a huge part of my life and I wouldn't have it any other way.

bigwheel
11-06-2016, 07:20 PM
My whole family are Hibbies from birth. My dad played for Hibs for a bit too before I was born.

He took me along to ER for the first time when I was 5 (we beat Motherwell 4-2) and ever since then Hibs have been a huge part of my life and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Who who who ?? :)

sleeping giant
11-06-2016, 07:24 PM
I'm just a total glory hunter.

LancashireHibby
11-06-2016, 07:37 PM
For some reason on the early FIFA games, in the absence of being able to play as Bolton, I always opted to play as Hibs so there must have been something already in my mind, but it was all secured when visiting Edinburgh for the weekend with my family in 1996ish - we climbed Calton Hill and saw Easter Road and that was it.

Craig_HFC
11-06-2016, 07:38 PM
Who who who ?? :)

Martin Munro.

He was a right back, he played in a friendly with George Best at right midfield which is his claim to fame!

He's in this picture in one of the yellow kits:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160611/cf90de503273fa7db464804f629e202e.jpg

Hezbelle
11-06-2016, 07:44 PM
First post - long time lurker! Hello 

I come from a rangers family but not surrounded by huge fanatics, just rangers supporters on the basis of a Glasgow history. My big sister had a boyfriend who was a massive hibs fan and he took me to some games in the mid 90s. Hibs just got under my skin.

He was a ****er though and my sister got rid of him however he's had a lasting legacy on me.

CRAZYHIBBY
11-06-2016, 07:45 PM
I support hibs because I was dropped on my head as a baby...twice

bigwheel
11-06-2016, 07:46 PM
Martin Munro.

He was a right back, he played in a friendly with George Best at right midfield which is his claim to fame!

Superb.....btw. That's one of my favourite very away tops

Craig_HFC
11-06-2016, 07:48 PM
Superb.....btw. That's one of my favourite very away tops

He's also on this forum as WoreTheGreen

bigwheel
11-06-2016, 07:48 PM

Aaaah...clue is in the name :).

J-C
11-06-2016, 07:55 PM
My dad was a Rangers man, born in Glasgow, I was brought up in Leith Links colonies and went to the Hibs games with all my mates.

Stantons Angel
11-06-2016, 08:10 PM
ive been asked this question so many times and im still un able to say why. i just dont know?

Might have something to do with being born in Leith and i have always been proud to be a Leither!

marinello59
11-06-2016, 08:14 PM
I lived in a street called Hibernia Road when I was wee and thought I should support the local team.
The street wasn't even in Scotland. I have a family full of Hibs fans now though. :greengrin

PatHead
11-06-2016, 08:19 PM
Because I'm a glory hunter.

scooby
11-06-2016, 08:22 PM
My mum was brought up in Edina Street and has always been a hibby. My gran lived there for years and my Dad started taking me to Easter Road when we visited her on a Saturday.
My earliest memory apart from the noise, was wading through a sea of piss at the top of the old east LOL
I've done my bit though, my 5 kids are all hibbys and ST holders now too.

Happy hibee
12-06-2016, 12:18 AM
My dad and brother were hearts fans but I must have been the runt I am hibs thru and thru and now are my son and grandson it was great having 3 generations crying on the day I thought I would never see.

Edinburgher
12-06-2016, 07:08 AM
I was brought up by my grandparents and my grandfather started supporting Hibs after the second world war because of the Famous Five and of course, Gordon Smith in particular. Before the war, like many people he would go one week to Tynecastle and the next to ER with his father and brothers who were all Hearts fans from the Pleasance area (before it was knocked down) - so glad he was the odd one out as it made me into a Hibby too.

spike220
12-06-2016, 07:26 AM
I am just a glory hunter!

H13BYM
12-06-2016, 07:53 AM
My leither Dad!

FranckSuzy
12-06-2016, 08:57 AM
Martin Munro.

Should it not be WoreTheYellow? :thumbsup: Superb :not worth

exeterhibby
12-06-2016, 09:38 AM
Welsh and living in Birmingham like my father before me I supported Villa in my younger days watching them home and away up till leaving for University in Edinburgh in 1974.

Wanted to continue watching football so had a choice of Hearts or Hibs ( and I suppose Meadowbank who had just started). Not knowing anything about Scottish Football, it came down to colours!! Having watched a team in claret / maroon for years I decided to watch a team in green and white.........best decision of my life. :agree: Ironically my first game was the League Cup semi final at Tynecastle winning 1:0 before losing the final at Hampden to Celtic 6:3 despite a Harper hatrick. My first game at Easter Road was in Europe against Juventus, days of which we are unlikely to see again. For the next few years I followed them home and away.

Even when I returned full time to England and watched football back down there, I kept an eye on what Hibs were doing attending the odd game. About 15 years ago I got fed up with the EPL and all their money and started to watch Hibs again, coming up at least once a month sometimes twice ( depending on the importance of games) which involved a 1000 mile round trip from Exeter, either driving or flying from Bristol.

May 21st was a day I thought I would never witness. It was my wifes Birthday and I was arranging in March a trip to Vienna to celebrate it....she said to go a week earlier so we could go to the final.....we weren't even there at the time!!!!! How glad she did, as I am still on a high from that day......best day supporting a club ever, which included seeing Villa win the European Cup.

Have now just retired and have moved to Newhaven so can now have a season ticket along with my wife who attends all the games with me......so thats 2 more towards the 10000 Leanne!

.....Thank you, thank you, thank you.....THANK YOU.......
GGTTH :flag:

snooky
12-06-2016, 10:18 AM
I'm a masochist.

You must have hated the end of the SC final.
Poor you. :-(
:wink:

Bishop Hibee
12-06-2016, 11:23 AM
Welsh and living in Birmingham like my father before me I supported Villa in my younger days watching them home and away up till leaving for University in Edinburgh in 1974.

Wanted to continue watching football so had a choice of Hearts or Hibs ( and I suppose Meadowbank who had just started). Not knowing anything about Scottish Football, it came down to colours!! Having watched a team in claret / maroon for years I decided to watch a team in green and white.........best decision of my life. :agree: Ironically my first game was the League Cup semi final at Tynecastle winning 1:0 before losing the final at Hampden to Celtic 6:3 despite a Harper hatrick. My first game at Easter Road was in Europe against Juventus, days of which we are unlikely to see again. For the next few years I followed them home and away.

Even when I returned full time to England and watched football back down there, I kept an eye on what Hibs were doing attending the odd game. About 15 years ago I got fed up with the EPL and all their money and started to watch Hibs again, coming up at least once a month sometimes twice ( depending on the importance of games) which involved a 1000 mile round trip from Exeter, either driving or flying from Bristol.

May 21st was a day I thought I would never witness. It was my wifes Birthday and I was arranging in March a trip to Vienna to celebrate it....she said to go a week earlier so we could go to the final.....we weren't even there at the time!!!!! How glad she did, as I am still on a high from that day......best day supporting a club ever, which included seeing Villa win the European Cup.

Have now just retired and have moved to Newhaven so can now have a season ticket along with my wife who attends all the games with me......so thats 2 more towards the 10000 Leanne!

Amazing story 💚

Finn2015
12-06-2016, 11:45 AM

Genuinely enjoyed reading that

eastterrace
12-06-2016, 12:18 PM
Dad used to take me to ER one week and Tynie the next. Dunno why I plumped for Hibs. Possibly because they played the latest chart hits on the tannoy - courtesy of Bandparts - as opposed to the traditional brass band marching round the Gorgie track. That and the white sleeves. It really was as banal as that! mind that brass band how pish was that playing away at half time

Glory Lurker
12-06-2016, 12:22 PM
I'm a Hibbie because of my Dad, and a liking for the underdog.

Agnes Gordon
12-06-2016, 12:58 PM
Late 60s was a interesting time to be a 7 year old growing up in Belfast.
I was part of a huge family of Celtic supporters not uncommon for a Catholic stronghold in west Belfast.
Long before the Internet and blanket social media coverage of football it was a tradition to get the Belfast Saturday sports newspaper known as the Ireland Saturday Night to read up on the cross channel football results of the day.
This newspaper contained match reports on the main English fixtures as well as coverage of both old firm teams.
It also contained the classified results necessary for checking your pools entry in those pre Lotto days.
I took to reading the all the football results and started (God knows why?) to take an interest in how the team with the 'strange' name Hibernian got on each weekend.
This started to evolve into support for this team and I remember visiting the local library to find out more about Hibs.
Latterly people used to suggest that I became a Hibs fan because of the Irish factor however this was never the case.
I spent my schooldays being laughed at and ridiculed for my choice of football club and honestly never ever met another Hibs fan growing up in Belfast.
First time I saw Hibs live was the 1972 Cup Final, I know not a good choice however was good to see the green and white jerseys in real life.
However as I grew older I managed more successful trips to Scotland to see my team including an amazing 9-2 victory against St Johnstone.
Now my daughter is at university in Edinburgh so I have loads more opportunities to visit Easter Road.
To this day I'm not really sure why I ended up a Hibs fan but, in spite of the rollercoaster following them means with more downs than ups I'm glad I did!

NAE NOOKIE
12-06-2016, 01:11 PM
Born in Edinburgh and lived mostly in Leith till I was 7 and we moved to the Borders ...... until I was 15 I supported Celtic, as did a lot of kids as a result of them winning the European cup.

I had no family that supported Hibs, or even liked football, and no dad ( he died when I was 9 ) or uncles ( that I knew of then ) to take me to games. At the end of the 1975 cup final ( Celtic 3 Airdrie 1 ) I had an epiphany that the old firm were not for me and my Edinburgh roots meant it was Hibs or Hearts .... because Leith was the only part of Edinburgh I could remember living in Hibs it was ... the fact that the Hibs strip was and still is utter class didn't hurt either :greengrin

A few months later one of my pals dad took us to Easter Road ( my first ever football match ) .... we lost and the crowd was about 8,000 but I was utterly hooked and have never looked back.

tanfield
12-06-2016, 01:18 PM
I can't really remember to be honest. My uncle who lived in albion terrace took me to easter road in the late 70's but think I had identified Hibs as my team before that.

The name "Hibernian" had something magical about it when watching the results come in on a Saturday and perhaps having Eric Schaedler live below me at Trinity had something to do with it?

My dad wasn't really into football and my mum grew up a hearts fan.

Like a lot of others, Hibs are now part of my dna

Keith_M
12-06-2016, 03:04 PM
Why do you support Hibs ?

I believe in reincarnation and I was obviously very bad in a former life.

Baldy Foghorn
12-06-2016, 03:09 PM
Martin Munro.

Is he second yellow strip, front row at John Lambie side?

Craig_HFC
12-06-2016, 03:15 PM
Is he second yellow strip, front row at John Lambie side?

Aye, sat next to Jackie Mac.

Baldy Foghorn
12-06-2016, 03:19 PM
Aye, sat next to Jackie Mac.

He hasn't changed much......Excellent

Craig_HFC
12-06-2016, 03:20 PM
He hasn't changed much......Excellent

Less of a bouffant now!

:greengrin

jdships
12-06-2016, 03:28 PM
Uncle , who was a " Bow Tow" played for Hibs in the '20's ( goalie) took me to ER for the first time in December 1940 ( V Huns)
Jimmy Kerr ( Goalie at that time ) , my uncles friend , kept in touch for many years .
Have had two cousins play for the club and my uncle ( by marriage) was Billy Liddle of Liverpool/Scotland fame !!
Had a very short " Pro'" career but managed to set foot on the " hallowed ground " versus the " Famous Four " ( Bobby Johnston was injured

Following Hibs has been the roller coaster to end all roller coaster rides but now am happy with them having won the SC :flag:
At 84 I have " seen it done it worn the T shirt" as they say
Thanks to all whom I have watched and become friends with over the years !! :hibees

Baldy Foghorn
12-06-2016, 03:32 PM
Less of a bouffant now!

:greengrin

Class, need to speak to him about his time at Hibs, one day.......

WoreTheGreen
12-06-2016, 03:43 PM
Anytime mate love the tat by the way

Baldy Foghorn
12-06-2016, 03:54 PM
Anytime mate love the tat by the way

Cheers Martin.....

Holmesdale Hibs
12-06-2016, 04:07 PM
My whole family is Hibs. It wasn't a concious choice, it's just the done thing and came as naturally as supporting Scotland.

greenginger
12-06-2016, 05:15 PM
Born in Leith, father a Hibs supporter who took me to games from a very early age, so if I was going to support a team it could only be Hibernian F. c.

Northern Hibby
13-06-2016, 02:04 PM
Why wouldn't I 😉

Dashing Bob S
13-06-2016, 05:43 PM

Fabulous tale.

Pretty Boy
13-06-2016, 05:56 PM
I was part of a huge family of Celtic supporters not uncommon for a Catholic stronghold in west Belfast.
Long before the Internet and blanket social media coverage of football it was a tradition to get the Belfast Saturday sports newspaper known as the Ireland Saturday Night to read up on the cross channel football results of the day.
This newspaper contained match reports on the main English fixtures as well as coverage of both old firm teams.
It also contained the classified results necessary for checking your pools entry in those pre Lotto days.
I took to reading the all the football results and started (God knows why?) to take an interest in how the team with the 'strange' name Hibernian got on each weekend.
This started to evolve into support for this team and I remember visiting the local library to find out more about Hibs.
Latterly people used to suggest that I became a Hibs fan because of the Irish factor however this was never the case.
I spent my schooldays being laughed at and ridiculed for my choice of football club and honestly never ever met another Hibs fan growing up in Belfast.
First time I saw Hibs live was the 1972 Cup Final, I know not a good choice however was good to see the green and white jerseys in real life.
However as I grew older I managed more successful trips to Scotland to see my team including an amazing 9-2 victory against St Johnstone.
Now my daughter is at university in Edinburgh so I have loads more opportunities to visit Easter Road.
To this day I'm not really sure why I ended up a Hibs fan but, in spite of the rollercoaster following them means with more downs than ups I'm glad I did!

That's a cracking story. Inspired choice.

hibbiedon
13-06-2016, 06:12 PM
My dad took and to be honest I never knew there were other teams till last week
:flag::flag::flag:
:flag:

Finn2015
13-06-2016, 06:14 PM

Great to read. I'm sure there is a Northern Ireland Hibernian supporters club

Robinho08
13-06-2016, 06:17 PM
My uncle got me into supporting Hibs when I was a nipper, before my Dad had a real chance of making me a Dundee FC fan.

Just as well, I'd be hearing '1910' from Arab fans. 😄

LancsHibs
15-06-2016, 10:17 AM
Always destined to be a Hibby, taken from a toddler to ER by my dad who was determined to bring us up the right way:greengrin

JimBHibees
15-06-2016, 10:20 AM

Wow that is an amazing story. Well done. :thumbsup:

Lancs Harp
15-06-2016, 01:30 PM
A great read this thread.

I have no family ties to Edinburgh or even Scotland. Like many in Scotland who look out for an English team, many in England have a favourite north of the border which is generally Celtic or more likely Rangers. Personally the sectarian issues of both clubs is something that doesn't sit well with me, so for some reason that I cannot really remember or even justify, my team became Hibs. Maybe the name which I found quite mystical, maybe the strip with those famous sleeves, maybe my Hibs Subbuteo team, maybe even growing up in the casual era in which Hibs gained a reputation, who knows?

I'm from Blackpool and Blackpool is my team but without wanting get too much into the surreal world of a football club run by the Oyston family, I like many other Pool fans feel attending Blackpool matches is actually supporting the Oystons not the football club and actively boycott the club. Disillusioned with the goings on at Bloomfield road I have more actively supported my favours north of the border.

My first Hibs game was at Easter Road in 1999. A 5-2 win against Dundee. I was working in Reading at the time and a guy working there was a Hibs fan and I went up with him for the weekend (a weekend that still qualifies in my top three for being totally bladdered) and I guess from that moment my passing interest in the Hibees developed into something else. I was back at Easter road before the season had finished for another fix.

From my first visit I took the odd Hibs game in now and then until as explained earlier, the ruination of my beloved Seasiders. Attending more and more Hibs games, last season I bought a season ticket in the East and have renewed again this coming season. I only made 11 of the 18 home games due mainly to the number of midweek games last season, but hopefully will make one or two more in the forthcoming promotion season. With the cost and time involved in following Hibs from here I rarely get the chance to go to away games.

The club for me has a very unique feel about it. Very welcoming, great fans, tradition, passion, I could go on and on.

I'm football mad and have been lucky enough to watch and experience football in many places. I have seen Blackpool climb to the Premier League, winning a play off final to do so at Wembley (and a sensational play off semi final against Forest on the way) I was at the Olympic stadium in Munich the night England beat Germany 5-1 and have been to World Cups but I have never felt or witnessed passion and emotion like I did on a certain day last month in Glasgow (and later on back n Leith). After decades of watching football, my greatest football day.

Torto7062
15-06-2016, 03:03 PM
I follow Hibernian Quite simply because my big cousin used to go to all the games and would always talk about them....now he's no quite right in the heed because he's now a jambo and spent more time at her majesty's pleasure than engerlund have spent protesting their innocence at the last 10 big tournaments..

#hibsareinmyveins

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

RedandGreen
18-06-2016, 07:07 PM
As has been said before, lots of people have a second team. Being from a Donegal / Kerry family background I inherited Celtic as my other team, with Nottingham Forest being my first footballing love. As a kid I had a fondness for the 'Arsenal in green' style kit of Hibs (and the rugby league style kit of the old Airdrie). Stylish kits as important as football ;-)

What has been always been consistent has been my antipathy towards the knuckle draggers from Govan!

In years gone by, without wall to wall TV football, Scottish football was almost as exotic as it got - lots of people adopted a Scottish 'second team'

Fast forward to recent seasons and I've enjoyed the absence of 'Rangers' from the top tier, but their 'return' and the backwardness of their sectarian support and the so-called OF has turned me off. Whilst proud of my Irish roots (like Hibs) I no longer feel for the 'in your face tricolour waving' of the Celtic support. The Hibernian name of the club is enough of a reminder of this. What of other Scottish teams? Well I remember when I went to Scottish games frequently in the 80s, the Jambos had quite a reputation with a far right / loyalist leaning wannabe huns type fringe so definitely not for me. To be fair, I think this is less the case now, but historically an 'establishment club' Sevco a no-no. Aberdeen too cold and too far away! The likes of Motherwell, Hamilton et al? Without being unkind who wants a weekend away in Lanarkshire ahead of Edinburgh?! So Hibs it is from now on.

And then.... 21/05/16....that David Gray goal and the hair raising beauty of 'Sunshine on Leith' afterwards. Yes, it'll sound like glory hunting, but that sealed the deal. Having had a few years of success under Clough at NFFC, followed by two decades of mediocrity, I know what it's like to follow a club for a long haul. It makes fleeting sucess(es) so much sweeter.

When I say 'adopt' Hibs I don't mean in a look at the scores in the paper kind of way. I'm hoping to come up to ER in October/November and for a couple of more times in the season. I'll be pledging to the HSL shares initiative, subscribing to Hibs TV to catch match action and getting the new shirt when its out! So at 50 I've found a new (footballing) love - time to consummate the affair with a trip to ER ;-)

Finally, if there are any fans in the West Country it would be great to hear from you.

Can't wait for the new season to start - whilst waiting time to watch THAT recording of Sportscene again!

Thanks for reading my first post!

Barrie

Totnes Devon

mim
19-06-2016, 09:51 AM
As has been said before, lots of people have a second team. Being from a Donegal / Kerry family background I inherited Celtic as my other team, with Nottingham Forest being my first footballing love. As a kid I had a fondness for the 'Arsenal in green' style kit of Hibs (and the rugby league style kit of the old Airdrie). Stylish kits as important as football ;-)

What has been always been consistent has been my antipathy towards the knuckle draggers from Govan!

In years gone by, without wall to wall TV football, Scottish football was almost as exotic as it got - lots of people adopted a Scottish 'second team'

Fast forward to recent seasons and I've enjoyed the absence of 'Rangers' from the top tier, but their 'return' and the backwardness of their sectarian support and the so-called OF has turned me off. Whilst proud of my Irish roots (like Hibs) I no longer feel for the 'in your face tricolour waving' of the Celtic support. The Hibernian name of the club is enough of a reminder of this. What of other Scottish teams? Well I remember when I went to Scottish games frequently in the 80s, the Jambos had quite a reputation with a far right / loyalist leaning wannabe huns type fringe so definitely not for me. To be fair, I think this is less the case now, but historically an 'establishment club' Sevco a no-no. Aberdeen too cold and too far away! The likes of Motherwell, Hamilton et al? Without being unkind who wants a weekend away in Lanarkshire ahead of Edinburgh?! So Hibs it is from now on.

And then.... 21/05/16....that David Gray goal and the hair raising beauty of 'Sunshine on Leith' afterwards. Yes, it'll sound like glory hunting, but that sealed the deal. Having had a few years of success under Clough at NFFC, followed by two decades of mediocrity, I know what it's like to follow a club for a long haul. It makes fleeting sucess(es) so much sweeter.

When I say 'adopt' Hibs I don't mean in a look at the scores in the paper kind of way. I'm hoping to come up to ER in October/November and for a couple of more times in the season. I'll be pledging to the HSL shares initiative, subscribing to Hibs TV to catch match action and getting the new shirt when its out! So at 50 I've found a new (footballing) love - time to consummate the affair with a trip to ER ;-)

Finally, if there are any fans in the West Country it would be great to hear from you.

Can't wait for the new season to start - whilst waiting time to watch THAT recording of Sportscene again!

Thanks for reading my first post!

Barrie

Totnes Devon
Briliant :agree:

Welcome to the family :flag:

Billychaotic182
19-06-2016, 10:00 AM
Grew up not into football at all. I was terrible at it and was always picked last so never really got into it. My mum was a Rangers fan as were most of my friends so my mum would buy me Rangers tops to fit in. I couldn't name you one Rangers player growing up. My sister married a hibs fan when I was about 10/11, so my two nephews grew up hibs fans. My nephew Robbie wasn't able to make the semi final against Livingston so I took his ticket and went with the family. On the way to Hamden we had our scarfs out the windows and every hibs fan passing us would wave and peep their horn. It was class. When the game was being played I was enjoying the atmosphere and the way hibs played. There was one moment that blew my mind, Sauzee had the ball near the corner flicked it over one of the Livy players and went on a run after it. Was the greatest thing I'd seen in football. After that game I wanted a season ticket and have never looked back since. Now all I think about is hibs!!

Hibernia&Alba
19-06-2016, 12:19 PM
Mine is just a mundane tale of being born into it; something I've blamed my dad for many times :greengrin. The countless disappointments and failures are all his fault, but days like the cup final prove him right. It isn't an easy journey, but there are many clubs who experience far worse.

Renfrew_Hibby
19-06-2016, 07:02 PM
Often thought about this as I grew up in Ayr, in a family that wasn't into football yet I've always loved fitba and from 8 or maybe 9 years old Hibs was the only team for me!
So why/how?
Well my Dad was an Ayr fan but never went to games so there was some interest but he did run a corner shop and in the 80's Pannini sticker albums were all the rage in the playground. Dad ran his own 'swap shop' out of the shop and I always had the rare ones kids wanted so I was the go to boy in primary school!
Anyways I always liked the Hibs kit, green was rare and I just liked getting the Hibs page filled up, got to know the names of the team and always looked out for our highlights on a Sunday Scotsport.
When I started playing football all my mates were Celtic or Rangers and early on I liked standing out from the crowd and mates even secretly respected me for this commitment to misery as they saw it.
Basically from a young age I knew I didn't want to be a glory hunter and Hibs always seemed cool as did Edinburgh and even a run down ER for some reason!
Would like to thank my uncle (no longer with us) for taking me to Edinburgh for my first game at ER and to my dad for taking me to my first ever Hibs game, the Skol cup quarter final away to Ayr in '91, thanks Dad. The atmosphere that night was immense and I knew then I had made a good choice in life.

Edina Street
26-03-2023, 12:04 PM
I was brought up on Edina Street which is approximately a five minute walk from Easter Road Stadium, so I guess location was the main factor. Also all of my family are Hibs supporters, so that would have been a factor as well. However I truly became a Hibs supporter in my own right when my Grandad passed away from cancer in 1987 when I was nine years old. Until then, I had always spent my weekends traveling in my Grandfather's car, but when he passed away I no longer had anything to do on Saturday's, and I decided that I was going to start going to Hibs games by myself. The first ever Hibs game I attended by myself was as a ten year old. It was the League Cup (R2) encounter at Easter Road against Montrose on 18/08/1987. Hibernian won 3-2, after coming back from behind twice.

It was not until I was 11 years old that I began attending away games by myself.

Scouse Hibee
26-03-2023, 12:23 PM
A question I ask myself regularly 😀

Kato
26-03-2023, 12:34 PM
A question I ask myself regularly [emoji3]That's usually in the form of "Why the **** do I support Hibs?"

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

CockneyRebel
26-03-2023, 01:15 PM
I'm sorry - I have no excuse!

hibsfan7
26-03-2023, 04:49 PM
Well what is the alternative

support hearts aye right

Carheenlea
26-03-2023, 06:09 PM

Wonderful :flag:

cameronw-hfc
26-03-2023, 06:11 PM
Born at the old simpsons hospital and lived at Meadowbank, moved out to west Lothian as a kid but spent most of my free time at family in Leith, add in my dad use to run the family corner behind the goals and would bring me to every game as a kid lol.

I'm sure there will be some on here that probably remember me or my dad from behind the goals. I was the wee sh** he would send round the tables to make sure all the board games were back for kick off.

Also use to sell programmes from the age of about 15 at the east stand regularly, up across from the burger van.

Now I'm all grown up and mid twenties, it was ingrained in me so young I'd never have turned out any other way.

Bad Habits
26-03-2023, 06:16 PM
Dad was born and grew up in Leith. Was given a 'hibs kids' membership as my christening present from my godfather so I didn't have much choice!

I've grown up in Yorkshire but I always remember sitting down with my dad and helping him find the Hibs score on Teletext. Tonnes of Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester United fans around me but I never took to them. My friends all find it weird but I've been cheering for Hibs and Scotland even before I knew what I was cheering for.

Hilariously my Dad actually apologised to me when rangers went 2-1 up in 2016...

Juice-Terry
26-03-2023, 06:17 PM
First team I ever saw after I moved to Scotland. Love at first sight. GGTTH!

Kato
26-03-2023, 06:27 PM
To this day I'm not really sure why I ended up a Hibs fan but, in spite of the rollercoaster following them means with more downs than ups I'm glad I did!Brilliant.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Glory Lurker
26-03-2023, 06:58 PM
Agnes Gordon's story is just fantastic. Talk about having the courage of your convictions! I don't remember this thread but see it's from the Summer of Love. Agnes, like all of us, finally got her payback for making a daft childhood decision!

Pagan Hibernia
26-03-2023, 10:36 PM

bet you enjoyed the 72 League Cup final eh.

wee bit of payback against your Celtic supporting schoolmates after taking all that ridicule

Mcbizz1998
27-03-2023, 08:38 AM
No obvious excuse. No immediate family support Hibs, have some Hibee uncles but Jambo ones as well.

School mate of mine asked me along to a game v Dunfermline and that was it, hooked ever since! I’m not in contact with that guy anymore but if it wasn’t for taking me to that game, who knows what would have happened.

Scouse Hibee
27-03-2023, 12:15 PM
I have heard it said you genuinely can’t support two teams, you can and I do. I left Liverpool for Edinburgh in 92 at the age of 25, I had a Liverpool ST since I was 10 and gave it up when I moved here, hindsight is a great thing and now wish I had kept it on with someone else using it as I now struggle like hell to get tickets.

I have now lived here for 31 years, so longer than I actually lived in Liverpool. My first football game in Edinburgh was 1990 when the brother in law to be took me to Tynecastle simply because I wanted to experience a Scottish game in Edinburgh and Hibs were away. He is a Hibee as was his Dad and my Father in Law, when I moved here permanently in 92 my new wife knowing how much I lived for football and knew that my Saturdays would still be dedicated to it bought me my first Hibs ST next to my brother in law and his Dad, and so it started and has continued to this day.

My heart is genuinely with both clubs, my son who is now 29 got his first ST aged 10 and we have sat side by side ever since. I will say that that day in 2016 surpassed any emotions I have ever felt at a football game, considering I have seen Liverpool win absolutely every honour there is,that showed me just how much Hibs mean to me.

Pagan Hibernia
27-03-2023, 12:51 PM
I have heard it said you genuinely can’t support two teams, you can and I do. I left Liverpool for Edinburgh in 92 at the age of 25, I had a Liverpool ST since I was 10 and gave it up when I moved here, hindsight is a great thing and now wish I had kept it on with someone else using it as I now struggle like hell to get tickets.

I have now lived here for 31 years, so longer than I actually lived in Liverpool. My first football game in Edinburgh was 1990 when the brother in law to be took me to Tynecastle simply because I wanted to experience a Scottish game in Edinburgh and Hibs were away. He is a Hibee as was his Dad and my Father in Law, when I moved here permanently in 92 my new wife knowing how much I lived for football and knew that my Saturdays would still be dedicated to it bought me my first Hibs ST next to my brother in law and his Dad, and so it started and has continued to this day.

My heart is genuinely with both clubs, my son who is now 29 got his first ST aged 10 and we have sat side by side ever since. I will say that that day in 2016 surpassed any emotions I have ever felt at a football game, considering I have seen Liverpool win absolutely every honour there is,that showed me just how much Hibs mean to me.

so you got out when it all fell apart under Souness? :greengrin

only joking mate. It’s a fantastic story and your last paragraph is very heartwarming

Vault Boy
27-03-2023, 01:01 PM
I was born in London and live in Norwich, so Hibs were naturally the only option.

MKHIBEE
27-03-2023, 01:10 PM
I’m a masochist

Bostonhibby
27-03-2023, 01:17 PM
I was born in London and live in Norwich, so Hibs were naturally the only option.Some years back whilst on the broads, in Stalham, I bumped into a young guy wearing a Hibs strip, his story was that he liked the name and the colours so took to watching out for the results and he considered himself a Hibs supporter.

Wasn't you was it?[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Diclonius
27-03-2023, 01:40 PM
Born in Longstone, grew up in Carnoustie. Hated football until my teenage years before actually attending a game circa 2005 where I was amazed by the sheer rage and anger emanating from the crowd (was Dundee Utd v Dunfermline in a relegation decider, Dunfermline won) and decided to give it a go. Dad (from Cumbernauld) was a Celtic fan but I didn't want to be a glory hunter and decided to pick a team from my home city; went with Hibs over Hearts virtually at random. Went to my first game a few months later and here we are...

Edit: Just realised this thread is seven years old and I've posted word for word pretty much the same thing further up.

Keith_M
27-03-2023, 05:37 PM
Probably a mixture of masochism and self-loathing.

Col2
27-03-2023, 05:44 PM
My older brother chose Hearts and when an Aunt of mine offered to buy us both Hearts strips when we were very young I chose Hibs.

Never looked back.

LancashireHibby
27-03-2023, 06:43 PM

Can very much relate to that and particularly the last paragraph, albeit I can’t say I’ve seen Bolton win too many honours. The only shame on that day was that my other half watched the game at home because she felt she jinxed us when she came to the League Cup Final that year. Off to Wembley on Sunday for the Papa John’s Final and then getting married at the Reebok in a few weeks!

Bridge hibs
27-03-2023, 07:02 PM
Me and my Brother were boxers as kids, we only really took it up to keep warm as the club was close by and my Mum couldnt afford to heat the cold stinking rat infested tenement flat. We had no interest in football at that time. We hung about Lochend for a while and always wondered what the big crowds (they seemed big at the time) and the roar from the ground, so we skivved in one day to see what all the fuss was about. 50 odd years later and Im still going, although I pay my way now

drummondst34
27-03-2023, 08:44 PM
I started out life in Costorphine, then my parents took us to Southport & Buxton.
We got the Sunday Post, every week, reading about the Turnbull Tornados, etc,
my favourite was Arthur Duncan.
Then George Best signed for us! My dad was not interested in football, but my
grandad was a director in the sixties, under chairman, Sir Jock Bruce, surgeon
general to the late queen. So I was quite happily indoctrinated!
I now live in Leamington, and make day trip forays north on the train, When they are
not on strike, late, or dump me at Preston or Crewe unexpectedly on the way back.
Still, it is all worth it, the homecoming, expectation, anticipation and atmosphere,
and the sight of the ground, especially having refreshments in The Halfway House
and The Artisan, for example. Long may this continue.

Drummond St34
o

Clarence
27-03-2023, 09:00 PM
My faither is a hibee. My faither’s faither is a hibee. My faither’s faither’s faither was a hibee and is now behind the goals.