PDA

View Full Version : Steven Fletcher ?

Bald Reynard
10-06-2016, 02:16 PM
Just released by Sunderland ! Right age (oldish - prepared to look at the Championship !), good pedigree (for our club and country) and the 'target man' type that Lennon likes to use. Free transfer - I guess - though wages might be an issue (he would have been on a bit at Sunderland). What do people reckon ?

Northernhibee
10-06-2016, 02:17 PM
Celtic.

Vault Boy
10-06-2016, 02:17 PM
Will probably go to Celtic

Bald Reynard
10-06-2016, 02:21 PM
Will probably go to Celtic

Can't see Rodgers being interested in a 29 year old, who hasn't done a lot in recent years in England. Unless others have heard different ?

jacomo
10-06-2016, 02:22 PM
I doubt we can match Stokes' wage demands, Fletcher is on an entirely different level!

Have you any idea of the kind of money he was on at Sunderland?

I rate him highly, but then so do a lot of people in football. I imagine there will be EPL clubs looking at him.

Or he will go to Celtc.

Big_Franck
10-06-2016, 02:23 PM
Sure he was on about 40-50k a week at Sunderland so even Celtic will struggle to afford his wages i'd say.

He'll might have to take a bit of a drop in wages but he'll probably end up at a top end English Championship club. Might even return to Burnley.

pacoluna
10-06-2016, 02:28 PM
Sure he was on about 40-50k a week at Sunderland so even Celtic will struggle to afford his wages i'd say.

He'll might have to take a bit of a drop in wages but he'll probably end up at a top end English Championship club. Might even return to Burnley.

He's done no to bad for only having one foot, Riordan and O'Connor where far better a player than fletch, just goes to show how naive/unfortunate these two were to having made the wrong choices outside of football. How the hell O'Connor is skint i'l never know.

TheFamous1875
10-06-2016, 02:31 PM
It'd be amazing to see him come back home, but it's surely out of the question.

I thought Lennon was out of the question, so what do I know!

Fletcher sadly hasn't achieved much in his career; a lot of injuries, and never in a team that truly played to his strengths. I think at 29, he'll be looking to atone an otherwise disappointing career since leaving Hibs - his best bet doing that would be to go to Celtic where he could have trophies up the yin-yang!

A shame, as I never like to see any of our lot go West at any point.

I still think he has the ability to do really well in the Premier League if he plays in a team that plays to his strengths and remains injury-free. Everton? West Brom? Stoke?

Future17
10-06-2016, 02:32 PM
Sweet bejesus.

Finn2015
10-06-2016, 02:32 PM
Even if we were in the top league I'd still struggle to see it. I'll go with the consensus. Celtic or a championship club in England

GloryGlory
10-06-2016, 02:33 PM
Can't see Rodgers being interested in a 29 year old, who hasn't done a lot in recent years in England. Unless others have heard different ?

He did score for Scotland against the might of Gibraltar, to be fair. :greengrin

Vault Boy
10-06-2016, 02:36 PM

Quite a few papers have been reporting interest from Celtic for a few days. In any case there's no chance of him coming here aha.

lyonhibs
10-06-2016, 02:39 PM
Silly season has peaked rather early here I feel.

TheFamous1875
10-06-2016, 02:42 PM
Silly season has peaked rather early here I feel.

Hibs have win the Scottish Cup and appointed Neil Lennon as manager, I think it's plateaued if anything :cb

KWJ
10-06-2016, 02:45 PM
It will be interesting to see where he goes for sure. He's struggled the past few years but I wouldn't be surprised if he got another Premiership gig.

A return to Burnley would be my shout.

jgl07
10-06-2016, 02:48 PM

The only people likely to offer 40,000 a week for Fletcher are the Chinese.

Dalianwanda
10-06-2016, 02:51 PM
Just saw a picture taken of him with my mates who are golfing in Portugal...Plenty Hibbees there wonder if he gave any hints??:wink:

brog
10-06-2016, 02:54 PM
He's done no to bad for only having one foot, Riordan and O'Connor where far better a player than fletch, just goes to show how naive/unfortunate these two were to having made the wrong choices outside of football. How the hell O'Connor is skint i'l never know.

Messi, Maradona & Puskas also did ok despite only having one foot!

jacomo
10-06-2016, 03:02 PM

LOL.

It'd be amazing to see him come back home, but it's surely out of the question.

I thought Lennon was out of the question, so what do I know!

Fletcher sadly hasn't achieved much in his career; a lot of injuries, and never in a team that truly played to his strengths. I think at 29, he'll be looking to atone an otherwise disappointing career since leaving Hibs - his best bet doing that would be to go to Celtic where he could have trophies up the yin-yang!

A shame, as I never like to see any of our lot go West at any point.

I still think he has the ability to do really well in the Premier League if he plays in a team that plays to his strengths and remains injury-free. Everton? West Brom? Stoke?

And LOL again.

Fletcher hit the jackpot. He played for several years in the richest, most watched league on the planet. He may do so again.

Riordan and O'Connor both cult heroes to many in the way that Fletcher seemingly isn't, but he's surely at least as good as any player we've produced in the past 20 years.

DH1875
10-06-2016, 03:05 PM
Just released by Sunderland ! Right age (oldish - prepared to look at the Championship !), good pedigree (for our club and country) and the 'target man' type that Lennon likes to use. Free transfer - I guess - though wages might be an issue (he would have been on a bit at Sunderland). What do people reckon ?

No chance.

bigwheel
10-06-2016, 03:06 PM
LOL.

And LOL again.

Fletcher hit the jackpot. He played for several years in the richest, most watched league on the planet. He may do so again.

Riordan and O'Connor both cult heroes to many in the way that Fletcher seemingly isn't, but he's surely at least as good as any player we've produced in the past 20 years.

Yes. Whilst Riordan was a more natural finisher, and O'Connor a very good player at his top - Fletcher was quicker than both, better in the air, has performed at a higher level, scored at a higher level and won more international caps - definitely the better all round player

KWJ
10-06-2016, 03:13 PM
Yes. Whilst Riordan was a more natural finisher, and O'Connor a very good player at his top - Fletcher was quicker than both, better in the air, has performed at a higher level, scored at a higher level and won more international caps - definitely the better all round player

And seems to get a tough time on here considering he scored 2 goals in a Cup Final for us and netted us over 3 million quid.

We got about half that for O'Connor and we ended up paying more for Riordan than we received.

pacoluna
10-06-2016, 03:16 PM

I'm not saying he isn't I am saying at the start of their careers if you were to ask me who had the more talent and was more enjoyable to watch I would say riordan by far and I would have wrongly predicted O'Connor would have had a more illustrious career than fletch .

Bristolhibby
10-06-2016, 03:18 PM
LOL.

And LOL again.

It would be interesting to see who ended up the richest ex Hibs player and compare it to who we believe was the best player who left Hibs.

Fletch must surely be one if not the richest.

J

bigwheel
10-06-2016, 03:19 PM
I'm not saying he isn't I am saying at the start of their careers if you were to ask me who had the more talent and was more enjoyable to watch I would say riordan by far and I would have wrongly predicted O'Connor would have had a more illustrious career than fletch .

Yeh. I can understand that . The thing is fletch played first team football from a young age. Younger than both I think. 17 years old. And actually was only first choice in his natural Position for his final season. By that time it was clear he was going on to better things ...the other two created a bit more buzz about them and somehow seemed a bit more "Hibs"...

pacoluna
10-06-2016, 03:22 PM
It would be interesting to see who ended up the richest ex Hibs player and compare it to who we believe was the best player who left Hibs.

J

I bet bamba has mad a few quid from transfer fees.

pacoluna
10-06-2016, 03:24 PM
Yeh. I can understand that . The thing is fletch played first team football from a young age. Younger than both I think. 17 years old. And actually was only first choice in his natural Position for his final season. By that time it was clear he was going on to better things ...the other two created a bit more buzz about them and somehow seemed a bit more "Hibs"...

probably because this agent fisher was always in the newspaper saying he wanted a move.

Bristolhibby
10-06-2016, 03:27 PM
I bet bamba has mad a few quid from transfer fees.

Kenny Miller must be in the mix.

J

Onceinawhile
10-06-2016, 03:31 PM

J

Him or whittaker who's been in the premiership quite a lot. The striker premium probably means fletch though.

stoneyburn hibs
10-06-2016, 03:31 PM
It's ok to dream.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
10-06-2016, 03:38 PM
Celtic bound. 25k a week, 3 year deal they've offered him I've heard

bigwheel
10-06-2016, 03:39 PM
probably because this agent fisher was always in the newspaper saying he wanted a move.

Yes. And that January nonsense to get a move to Celtic didn't help him

He was superb in the final against Killie. Almost unplayable

jacomo
10-06-2016, 03:50 PM
Yes. And that January nonsense to get a move to Celtic didn't help him

He was superb in the final against Killie. Almost unplayable

With no Scottish involvement in the Euros, how's this for an afternoon's entertainment in front of the TV?

1st half: 2007 LC Final

interval: All of Riordan's goals for Hibs

2nd half: 2016 SC Final

encore: footage of Leith cup parade

Hibsed it. BOOM.

Greenworld
10-06-2016, 03:50 PM
Glass ankle

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

snooky
10-06-2016, 03:57 PM
Quite a few papers have been reporting interest from Celtic for a few days. In any case there's no chance of him coming here aha.
Hope they get him and loan out Sparky :wink:

SouthMoroccoStu
10-06-2016, 04:05 PM
With no Scottish involvement in the Euros, how's this for an afternoon's entertainment in front of the TV?

1st half: 2007 LC Final

interval: All of Riordan's goals for Hibs

2nd half: 2016 SC Final

encore: footage of Leith cup parade

Hibsed it. BOOM.

And the Academy Award for best picture goes to.....

G B Young
10-06-2016, 04:33 PM
Fletcher did little at Sunderland to justify his wages if he really is on the kind of money we're talking about. I'm sure he only scored about 20 goals in all the time he was there, nowhere near enough for a striker. I thought he was one of the best to emerge from the Mowbray generation at Hibs but he remains frustratingly one-footed and pretty much the only goals he has scored for Scotland have been against Gibraltar. A lot of potential but largely unfulfilled.

Cocaine&Caviar
10-06-2016, 04:34 PM
Word is heading to WBA to replace Berahino who is likely Watford bound, to replace Deeney who is likely Leicester bound, to replace Vardy who is likely Arsenal bound.

livi hibs 1875
10-06-2016, 04:41 PM
Word is heading to WBA to replace Berahino who is likely Watford bound, to replace Deeney who is likely Leicester bound, to replace Vardy who is likely Arsenal bound.
And the little one said roll over

Iceman1875
10-06-2016, 04:51 PM
Both Riordan and Fletcher were better than O'Connor IMO.

At their peaks, I would take Riordan all day long over SF.

At Easter Road we play...

Iceman1875
10-06-2016, 04:55 PM

h1bee123
10-06-2016, 05:00 PM
I think Fletcher's problem down south and with Scotland is that he's always in quite a weak team and often plays a lone striking role with not great service. I think in a strong team he would really be a key asset whether thats at Celtic or a top Championship side.

Edson Arantes
10-06-2016, 05:06 PM
What happened at Marseille when he left Sunderland?

Was that just a loan deal?

SeanWilson
10-06-2016, 05:18 PM

if berahino joins watford i'll get the bath of beans out :greengrin

Vault Boy
10-06-2016, 05:20 PM
Hope they get him and loan out Sparky :wink:

We live in prayer. :greengrin

Unfortunately for us, they will doubtlessly form a partnership. Good for Scotland though!

What happened at Marseille when he left Sunderland?

Was that just a loan deal?

Aye. :agree:

snooky
10-06-2016, 05:58 PM
And the little one said roll over

:top marks :greengrin

When I heard Fletcher was being released my first thought was of Ronnie Barker.

geohibby
10-06-2016, 06:06 PM
We was on £60k a week, my mate is a Sunderland fan, said he was well liked until he was injured in the wales game and wasn't the same again

jacomo
10-06-2016, 09:11 PM
I think Fletcher's problem down south and with Scotland is that he's always in quite a weak team and often plays a lone striking role with not great service. I think in a strong team he would really be a key asset whether thats at Celtic or a top Championship side.

Agree, but I think he could still cut it in the SPL.

Cardinal G
10-06-2016, 09:24 PM
I'm a sunderland season ticket holder and so wanted him to succeed here but for whatever reason it's ended with him on a bit of a sour note. He was highly rated and paid approx 65k a week if rumours are to be believed but his record has been poor. I do agree with a previous poster that his injury for Scotland against Wales was the start of the end and he struggled from then on.

Stokesy's on fire
10-06-2016, 09:41 PM
Fletcher is highly unlikely to go from Marseille to Dumbarton away

jacomo
10-06-2016, 10:34 PM

Leigh might end up beating all of them though.

Leigh might end up best of them all.

GreenNWhiteArmy
10-06-2016, 11:55 PM
Fletcher has always been a weird one for me. No doubting his talent but his lack of a right foot has hindered his career (yes I know Messi only has a left peg but Cmon, let's not try and compare the 2. Messi is a freak) players like steven fletcher (and Jason Cummings for that matter) need to be able to use both feet. How many times in the 2nd half of the season did players suss how to play against Jase? Don't let him cut inside and he's less effective.

Fletch played for 3 different clubs in the English top flight. Granted not great sides but managed to hit double figures in at least 3 seasons I believe? Let's not forget Gary Hooper left to go down south and struggled as did Kris Boyd and look at there records up here. Fletch would score for fun up here IF he had the right service and attacking players feeding off him. For Scotland he has a thankless task. The top teams we go 1 up top and even the weaker teams we play the same way hoping to break down 2 banks of 4. I can't see him dropping down to the Scottish Championship but if he did go to celtic I personally believe that he would score 20 a season in a team that gets 10+ chances each game.

My celtic mates say he's "not good enough for us" but that's also a statement they made about Griffiths but got excited when players came over from Scandinavia for a couple million (how did that turn out?) We have a habit of knocking our own in this country. Personally I hope he gets a move to a side in the English championship and scores for fun

MrRobot
11-06-2016, 10:18 AM
Absolute farce that fletcher was on 40-50k a week.

easty
11-06-2016, 10:22 AM
Absolute farce that fletcher was on 40-50k a week.

I don't think so. He'd done really well I the EPL for Burnley and Wolves before Sunderland signed him.

makaveli1875
11-06-2016, 10:28 AM
for all the money he's made , the only trophy he's ever won is the wee cup with us

jgl07
11-06-2016, 11:35 AM
I don't think so. He'd done really well I the EPL for Burnley and Wolves before Sunderland signed him.
Aye and Sunderland was the only one not to be relegated!

easty
11-06-2016, 11:43 AM
Aye and Sunderland was the only one not to be relegated!

So?

You cannae be a good player, and play well, in a team that gets relegated?

hibbysam
11-06-2016, 07:19 PM
for all the money he's made , the only trophy he's ever won is the wee cup with us

The 'wee' cup eh, very good! What a yammish mentality that is.

jgl07
11-06-2016, 09:34 PM
So?

You cannae be a good player, and play well, in a team that gets relegated?

He did well with both but he seemed to pick his teams badly. Or maybe he was unlucky?

Both were championship standard teams who over-achieved.

He was injured too much of the time to make much of an impact with Sunderland.

He is probably on his last chance. Given his recent injury record and form I would be surprised if he picked up a deal on the scale that has been quoted.