PDA

View Full Version : Nail. On. Head.

Lee Marvin
10-06-2016, 08:11 AM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/lennon-i-only-want-winners-in-my-hibs-team-1-4150836

Exactly the type of manager who will get us out this division.

Oscar T Grouch
10-06-2016, 08:14 AM
Links off the page and not working (on iPhone) can someone post a proper link?

SeanWilson
10-06-2016, 08:16 AM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/lennon-i-only-want-winners-in-my-hibs-team-1-4150836

Can't imagine us being a 'soft touch' under him. I think he probably has the ability to be a pal to the lads as well as give out a lashing when required... doubt AS was very good at the bad cop part.

stoneyburn hibs
10-06-2016, 08:21 AM
Can't click the link but if he has said what he said last night, it was Hibs have been soft for about 10 to 15 years and we need to address it.
Good start Neil.

Lee Marvin
10-06-2016, 08:23 AM
Bullish Neil Lennon intends to turn Hibs into an ultra-consistent winning machine as he bids to return them to the Scottish Premiership in his first attempt.

The new head coach knows the Easter Road club have been widely renowned over the years for having a soft underbelly. Lennon himself noted it in his days as a Celtic player, when he detected a “boy band” feel to the club, with an emphasis on playing well and taking plaudits rather than ending up with genuine glory.

However, he hopes last month’s Scottish Cup triumph can act as a watershed moment for Hibs as he bids to harness a win-at-all costs mentality.

“I’ve been one of the first ones to say that Hibs have been soft,” said Lennon, as he was officially unveiled to the media yesterday following his appointment as head coach. “Boy band, boy band. When I played against them, they had the Broonies and Whittakers and all these lads. They would come and play Celtic and play really well and then they would go out partying in Edinburgh, getting pats on the back.

“Then they would go and lose to Motherwell the week after. That won’t be tolerated here by me. I don’t want them getting pats on the back for beating Raith Rovers or drawing away at Dumbarton. I’ll give them a pat on the back if they get promotion. They’ve got to learn quickly. Inconsistency won’t be tolerated. It’s not acceptable for a club of this standard.

“I think there is a huge monkey off their back with winning the cup. To lose to Falkirk in the way they did [in the play-offs] and then pick themselves up eight days later and beat Rangers in a cup final showed a hell of amount of character. They can take a lot from that but they’re going to have to show that character week in, week out next season if they want to play for me.”

Lennon knows he has an obligation to produce attractive football. However, he explained that the priority has to be winning matches. He intends to produce a combination of the two.

“There’s a culture here that the club plays good football, going back to the Famous Five, and I want to buy into that,” he said. “The teams that Tony Mowbray produced were good footballing teams. They did really well finishing third and fourth. That’s where we want to take the club to but the mentality has to change a little bit.

“There’s got to be a mix. The team I played in at Celtic and the team I managed had big centre halves, you had me and then you had the players like the Moravicks, the Larssons, the McGeadys. In the team I managed you had your Hoopers, you had solidity in Wanyama and a good goalkeeper, but then you had your players who could play and make a difference. It’s trying to get that mix right. There is maybe a little bit of imbalance that we overplay. That’s maybe a criticism that has been aimed at the team. I haven’t seen enough of them to make that assumption. But this is what I’m hearing so maybe we need to mix things up a little bit. The balance has to be right. There has to be a bit of pragmatism to go with the flamboyancy.”

Read more: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/lennon-i-only-want-winners-in-my-hibs-team-1-4150836#ixzz4BAA8RRN9

GloryGlory
10-06-2016, 08:23 AM

I liked his comments about "boybands" and the perception that Hibs were a soft touch. So what we've said for years on here about the George Street clubbing of players and the (alleged) lack of effort on the training pitch was obviously well known in football circles.

Glad that Neil has said he's not going to tolerate any unprofessional behavior.

Scooter
10-06-2016, 08:24 AM
Thought the same thing with Butcher. time will tell

lapsedhibee
10-06-2016, 08:39 AM
Boy bands? What's he saying, The Hibees Are Gay?

Ltyf.

emerald green
10-06-2016, 08:45 AM
Bullish Neil Lennon intends to turn Hibs into an ultra-consistent winning machine as he bids to return them to the Scottish Premiership in his first attempt.

The new head coach knows the Easter Road club have been widely renowned over the years for having a soft underbelly. Lennon himself noted it in his days as a Celtic player, when he detected a “boy band” feel to the club, with an emphasis on playing well and taking plaudits rather than ending up with genuine glory.

However, he hopes last month’s Scottish Cup triumph can act as a watershed moment for Hibs as he bids to harness a win-at-all costs mentality.

“I’ve been one of the first ones to say that Hibs have been soft,” said Lennon, as he was officially unveiled to the media yesterday following his appointment as head coach. “Boy band, boy band. When I played against them, they had the Broonies and Whittakers and all these lads. They would come and play Celtic and play really well and then they would go out partying in Edinburgh, getting pats on the back.

“Then they would go and lose to Motherwell the week after. That won’t be tolerated here by me. I don’t want them getting pats on the back for beating Raith Rovers or drawing away at Dumbarton. I’ll give them a pat on the back if they get promotion. They’ve got to learn quickly. Inconsistency won’t be tolerated. It’s not acceptable for a club of this standard.

“I think there is a huge monkey off their back with winning the cup. To lose to Falkirk in the way they did [in the play-offs] and then pick themselves up eight days later and beat Rangers in a cup final showed a hell of amount of character. They can take a lot from that but they’re going to have to show that character week in, week out next season if they want to play for me.”

Lennon knows he has an obligation to produce attractive football. However, he explained that the priority has to be winning matches. He intends to produce a combination of the two.

“There’s a culture here that the club plays good football, going back to the Famous Five, and I want to buy into that,” he said. “The teams that Tony Mowbray produced were good footballing teams. They did really well finishing third and fourth. That’s where we want to take the club to but the mentality has to change a little bit.

“There’s got to be a mix. The team I played in at Celtic and the team I managed had big centre halves, you had me and then you had the players like the Moravicks, the Larssons, the McGeadys. In the team I managed you had your Hoopers, you had solidity in Wanyama and a good goalkeeper, but then you had your players who could play and make a difference. It’s trying to get that mix right. There is maybe a little bit of imbalance that we overplay. That’s maybe a criticism that has been aimed at the team. I haven’t seen enough of them to make that assumption. But this is what I’m hearing so maybe we need to mix things up a little bit. The balance has to be right. There has to be a bit of pragmatism to go with the flamboyancy.”

Read more: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/lennon-i-only-want-winners-in-my-hibs-team-1-4150836#ixzz4BAA8RRN9

All of this is bang on the money straight away from Neil Lennon. :top marks

SlickShoes
10-06-2016, 08:54 AM

There are some parallels but i think the key difference is that Lennon is inheriting a team of good players who just done something fantastic no other hibs team has done in living memory. Butcher took over a hibs team that could barely score a goal and were circling the drain until they were eventually sucked down it. I don't think Lennon is daft enough to Butcher it either by calling his entire team ***** and telling them they have no future, he seems a bit smarter than that.

jacomo
10-06-2016, 09:02 AM

It seemed that Butcher ripped into the team from the start, and sent us into freefall.

Lennon is acknowledging this team already has character - and he's right. As had been said many times, our entire Cup campaign - not just the final - was a triumph of hard work and grit.

What we need is consistency - the same consistency we saw on the Huns league campaign last term, and the Yams before that.

pacoluna
10-06-2016, 09:04 AM

Bartley can be our wanyama :wink:

lyonhibs
10-06-2016, 09:16 AM
All just words. Good words, but words all the same.

Surely this season we can come out the traps at a rate of knots and stuff a couple of these diddy teams properly, as we should have been doing from day 1 in this division.

Baldy Foghorn
10-06-2016, 09:16 AM
Seems very focussed on what he wants to achieve.

He is a winner, and we will benefit greatly as a Club, with this attitude......

C'mon the Lenny:flag:

GreenPJ
10-06-2016, 09:21 AM

Surely this season we can come out the traps at a rate of knots and stuff a couple of these diddy teams properly, as we should have been doing from day 1 in this division.

Its a message to the players as much as a sound bite for the fans - they know what to expect when they return for pre-season and beyond. He can't do anything more at this stage, new players will come in time and existing players will step up or ship out but he has set out his stall.

mutley
10-06-2016, 09:45 AM
It is very good to hear, although we have all heard strong words before . It will be interesting to see who he can bring in, who stays and who goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O'Rourke3
10-06-2016, 09:47 AM
Cracking statement and all true. Love the Boy Band analogy. However were never Blue.....

PeeJay
10-06-2016, 09:48 AM

The measure of Lennon will be if he actually backs it up at the club at the training ground and on the park.

He is making the right sounds for me - he may well be just the man this club has needed for some while ... looking forward to the season already.