PDA

View Full Version : Keepers

hfcnic
10-06-2016, 08:05 AM
Who would you realistically like to see between the sticks next season?

Do give it back to Oxley?

Try and sign Logan again?

Or do we need to sign another keeper for the season?

I would like to see Logan given another go I can only see him improving and he's not too shabby at the moment as it is.

calumhibee1
10-06-2016, 08:07 AM
As strange as it seems to say I'm not particularly keen on Logan being here next season. He was generally very good for us but there's a part of me that just can't see how that can continue when he's that size. I'd be looking elsewhere.

J-C
10-06-2016, 08:11 AM
Apart from the semi where I think adrenaline took over, Logan on a few occasions didn't look all that comfortable and didn't look any better than Oxley.

SeanWilson
10-06-2016, 08:12 AM
As strange as it seems to say I'm not particularly keen on Logan being here next season. He was generally very good for us but there's a part of me that just can't see how that can continue when he's that size. I'd be looking elsewhere.

to be fair to the guy, he was off his feet for the best part of a year and a half... he didn't expect to play last year and was trying to get his fitness back... however, i would not want Oxley or Logan as no.1 next year. Must be able to do better.

mim
10-06-2016, 08:13 AM
Logan for me, without question. :wink:

Oscar T Grouch
10-06-2016, 08:13 AM

I think from his first appearance in the semi to the final he lost a fair chunk of weight. If he keeps on top of his fitness which he would being at a club and playing then he can do a job for us.

Finn2015
10-06-2016, 08:19 AM
Love to see Logan continue.

stoneyburn hibs
10-06-2016, 08:24 AM
Give the jersey to Logan, he can only have improved and be a wee bit leaner after a preseason.

Brightside
10-06-2016, 08:26 AM
We have just signed the young lad from Bury. He's on 18...but he's 6ft5 and very well regarded.

CallumLaidlaw
10-06-2016, 08:28 AM
We have just signed the young lad from Bury. He's on 18...but he's 6ft5 and very well regarded.

Is he for the development team, or is it still to be announced?

pacoluna
10-06-2016, 08:33 AM
He will be in development squad- 3/4th choice I would imagine behind oxley, virtanen hopefully logan if he signs and brennan. Don't think we will be seeing Ruddy until a couple of years down the line.

J-C
10-06-2016, 08:37 AM
He will be in development squad- 3/4th choice I would imagine behind oxley, virtanen hopefully logan if he signs and brennan. Don't think we will be seeing Ruddy until a couple of years down the line.

Pretty sure he was one of the young lads released, so will be a replacement for him in the development squad.

JimBHibees

He has already played a League one game for Bury so would imagine he would be looking to be competing for first team squad.

Billy Whizz
Pretty sure he was one of the young lads released, so will be a replacement for him in the development squad.

Sean Brennan was released

J-C
10-06-2016, 08:38 AM
Sean Brennan was released

:agree:

Hibbyradge
10-06-2016, 08:40 AM
I think Oxley will be allowed to leave and if the stories are true about Virtanen bottling the semi final, he'll be off too.

Under those circumstances, I expect Logan to get another year and another keeper to be signed.

Sergio sledge
10-06-2016, 08:42 AM
Virtanen must be a decent prospect, we gave him a 3 or 4 year deal did we not? Oxley is still under contract so I can't see us signing another goalie for the first team unless Oxley is released first. Oxley isn't the best keeper around, but he's probably good enough for this division so I'd be focusing elsewhere if I were Neil Lennon.

1959 Hibby
10-06-2016, 08:45 AM
Neil Lennon says he only wants winners playing for us. To my eye, Oxley just hasn't got that mentality. Conrad definitely has - and I also think he was already looking a lot fitter by the final. If he can get in good shape over the next month I'd be for keeping him

worcesterhibby
10-06-2016, 08:51 AM
I would keep Logan and Virtanen and look to replace Oxley. Mark has worked hard is a likeable guy and is a decent goalie, but I just feel we should be able to do better.

Pretty Boy
10-06-2016, 08:54 AM
I'd be tempted to give Logan another year on the proviso he reports back for pre season in better shape. I think he's naturally a big guy and being off his feet for 18 months won't have helped but there's no excuse now for continuing at that size.

Tbh I'd be happy enough for Oxley to stick around as well. He's still young, judging by his Twitter and post final celebrations he seems to have dealt with being dropped well and he has shown plenty glimpses that there's a keeper there. Whether he'd be happy as a back up, if that where the case, is another issue.

If pushed I'd probably opt for Logan and A N Other to battle it out for the gloves but I wouldn't be unhappy if it was Oxley and someone else or even Logan and Oxley.

pacoluna
10-06-2016, 08:55 AM
I think Oxley will be allowed to leave and if the stories are true about Virtanen bottling the semi final, he'll be off too.

Under those circumstances, I expect Logan to get another year and another keeper to be signed.
what stories? Thought it was due to his shaky display against ICT that put doubt in stubbs mind.

mutley
10-06-2016, 09:26 AM
I'd like to see Logan work hard in training, trim up a bit and keep the gloves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FifeHibs
10-06-2016, 09:28 AM
The bright green top never done Logan any favours, although he must have looked massive to any strikes when he was rushing off his line

O'Rourke3
10-06-2016, 10:00 AM
While the jury is out on Otso. Conrad and Mark would do for me. CL being the no 1. He might be big but he's not useless. You can hear him talking to his back 3/4 all the time from the West Upper. Mark needs to see that and get it into his game. Logan is good on crosses and he's not afraid to wipe out the back four and opposition front 2 to get the ball cleared. I think Conrad around would make Mark a far better keeper. Mark complains to the ref about forwards at corners and is generally bullied, Conrad just swats them out the way :greengrin.

hfcnic
10-06-2016, 10:04 AM
Neil Lennon says he only wants winners playing for us. To my eye, Oxley just hasn't got that mentality. Conrad definitely has - and I also think he was already looking a lot fitter by the final. If he can get in good shape over the next month I'd be for keeping him

Yes. For me this hits the nail on the head. Conrads attitude is terrific and has that "winners" quality about him

HibsNutter
10-06-2016, 10:05 AM
Logan has the attitude that Lennon will like, Oxley never seemed to so it won't be him. Lennon might want a better keeper than Logan though.

Dr What If?
10-06-2016, 10:18 AM
This is a tough one, made tougher by the fact that a goalkeeper is a unique position on the football field and one where you really need a consistency of selection, players need to know and understand the man behind them. When our bad run hit last season, Oxley looked really jittery, that seemed to infect the players in front of him. Logan came in and while he had that great game in the semi, what worried me is that he looked far from match fit, a man of his age playing a professional sport for a fully time living should be carrying a few less kilo's than he is.

Assuming the two of them remedy their flaws over the summer - Oxley gets over the nerves and Logan drops a few dress sizes, we then have an interesting choice. Oxley is not bad, His distribution is good, just what you need if you want to be a fast paced, attacking team. Shot stopping is probably about average and positional play needs work, but that is an area work will improve. I have only seen Logan on a few occasions but he does appear to have good spacial awareness and is surprising agile.

For me a fully fit Logan over a confident Oxley, a decision that is probably based on the fact that Logan has been in the game longer and simply is better at the things that come with experience. His confidence did impress me, seems to give the players in front a bit of a boost.

The choice above however, is based on both of them working and beating what I see as their weaknesses from last season. If they get to the start of the season and Oxley is still shaky and Logan still needs XXXL shorts then maybe we have to look at other available options. I know we were linked to Michael McGovern not that long ago and he would certainly be top of my shopping list.

easty
10-06-2016, 10:19 AM
I don't think Logan is any better than Oxley. So if Logan's out of contract, and Oxley, Virtanen and the young lad we just signed are already here under contract, I'd let Logan go.

If we're letting any the contracted keepers leave, then I'd no just throw a contract at Conrad, I'd look for better.

Spudster
10-06-2016, 10:40 AM
I know we were linked to Michael McGovern not that long ago and he would certainly be top of my shopping list.

:agree:

Man Down Under
10-06-2016, 10:45 AM
I don't think Logan's size is an issue to be honest. He seems to get off his feet no bother.
Although he hasn't had a huge amount of games I don't think you can say his size disadvantaged him, if anything it could be seen as more of an advantage, having a big lad in goals could put off a few strikers when he's running at them. He can certainly save a penalty anyway.
I'd like to see him get the chance to play more regularly for hibs next season.

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Tapatalk

FifeHibs
10-06-2016, 10:59 AM
Logan done really well when he came in last season, if oxley had let the ball squirm under his body like Logan did in the Falkirk game the crowd would have called for his head...

Hope the big man looses the weight as at times he was slow getting down.

biotech
10-06-2016, 11:10 AM
Don't think there is much between Oxley and Logan. On balance, I'd keep Oxley. He's younger, fitter and has more potential to improve. Feel Virtanen has to go as any backup who, for whatever reason, can't step up in a semi-final isn't worth retaining.

Dr What If?
10-06-2016, 11:30 AM
Feel Virtanen has to go as any backup who, for whatever reason, can't step up in a semi-final isn't worth retaining.

Other way to look at it is well done the lad for having the balls to stand up and say 'sorry boss, I'm not ready', yes people might say he bottled it but he did put the team ahead of himself.

PiemanP
10-06-2016, 11:41 AM
Happy with Logan. Would let oxley leave but he's got another year and I can't see anyone else taking him so he'll be here.

Still a bit puzzled at the whole virtannen signing, but another on a contract so he'll be staying:

Sergio sledge
10-06-2016, 11:42 AM
Other way to look at it is well done the lad for having the balls to stand up and say 'sorry boss, I'm not ready', yes people might say he bottled it but he did put the team ahead of himself.

Did this definitely happen or did Stubbs just decide that he wanted someone experienced in the semi-final rather than an untested youngster making his debut?

RyeSloan
10-06-2016, 11:48 AM
Logan is not the answer...his Falkirk howler seems to have been conveniently forgotten and you don't spend that long in the lower English leagues playing second fiddle if you are any good. He came in, done a job but I can't see how we could ever see him as a long term solution.

Ox is not as bad as made out but you can't deny he had a poor second half of the season, that's a significant worry and maybe enough for Lennon to think he needs a new keeper.

So on balance I fully expect Lennon to sign a new number one for the coming season and will be mighty supposed if he doesn't.

Seveno
10-06-2016, 12:25 PM
Nail hit head on.

Andy74
10-06-2016, 12:26 PM
Logan is not the answer...his Falkirk howler seems to have been conveniently forgotten and you don't spend that long in the lower English leagues playing second fiddle if you are any good. He came in, done a job but I can't see how we could ever see him as a long term solution.

Ox is not as bad as made out but you can't deny he had a poor second half of the season, that's a significant worry and maybe enough for Lennon to think he needs a new keeper.

So on balance I fully expect Lennon to sign a new number one for the coming season and will be mighty supposed if he doesn't.

Agree with all that.

HappyAsHellas
10-06-2016, 12:28 PM
I'd still like to see Virtanen given a run. He wasn't signed on the off chance, but rather as a good prospect. He's played at under 21 level which is arguably higher than the championship. Hopefully if we're doing what we should be league wise, we'll have time to see a few youngsters coming through.

marinello59
10-06-2016, 12:28 PM
Is Logan still with us, how long was his deal for? He'll always be a legend as part of the cup wining team but surely Lennon don't see him as a long term solution.
Oxley is still improving, he has a few years to go yet before he hits his prime as a keeper. I hope we get the benefit of that. One other genuine first team keeper needed before the season starts though.

BH Hibs
10-06-2016, 12:38 PM
Michael McGovern if that's still a possibility please

Pat 0-7
10-06-2016, 12:42 PM
The Northern Ireland connection might help?

mmmmhibby
10-06-2016, 01:00 PM
There will defo be changes in our squad, dunno who tho. I think we will see some changes, although i'd be guessing as to which positions Lennon will seek to strenghthen. Could be some players that don't fit Lennons style, however maybe they do. Lennon does like to play with width so that's a major plus.

Craigmount Hibs
10-06-2016, 01:16 PM
No thanks. From highlights of Hamilton games I saw on sportscene, he had a number of howlers last season.

Dashing Bob S
10-06-2016, 01:38 PM
Logan is simply a better goalkeeper than Oxley. A better positional sense, stronger and more dominant at cross balls, a better organizer of his defense, as good a showstopper, and -crucial for a goalie- has a) more natural confidence and b) very quick feet for such a big man.

Injuries have wrecked his career so far, but if he trains hard and loses weight, he could be a major asset.

And he has the best song about him of any player ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7by4HbKrETg&feature=youtu.be

Marco G
10-06-2016, 01:42 PM
Logan is simply a better goalkeeper than Oxley. A better positional sense, stronger and more dominant at cross balls, a better organizer of his defense, as good a showstopper, and -crucial for a goalie- has a) more natural confidence and b) very quick feet for such a big man.

Injuries have wrecked his career so far, but if he trains hard and loses weight, he could be a major asset.

And he has the best song about him of any player ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7by4HbKrETg&feature=youtu.beProblem is I don't think he is around any more, and way he was speaking after cup he will be looking for a club back down south.

Dunbar Hibee
10-06-2016, 02:00 PM

Have I missed something?

Greenworld
10-06-2016, 02:23 PM
New 1st choice keeper is a must one or both goalies can go for me were going up this season no room to muck around

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk