PDA

View Full Version : David Gray - Scottish cup final

SJM
09-06-2016, 10:47 PM
Apologies if mentioned before but the man had the game of his life almost 3 weeks ago. Almost 2 mins in(watching again for about the tenth time, would have been more if my son wasn't born last week) they get the usual foul against us for them, Gray steams in and wins the second ball. Absolute hero and that's before you could count about 20 other occasions he's either in position to defend or assist attack before rising to make the biggest and best continuation to my footballing life. Absolute hero.

Wee man registered tomorrow with the middle name Gray too. He might have missed us winning the cup but he was born within 13 days of us doing so, not many Hibees will ever say that. Sorry to hibs.net if you guys think I'm a tit, I post what I heard. apologies. I'm away back with an hour or so off to watch the final again, a Stokes is about to score. Still cannae believe it.

jacomo
09-06-2016, 11:12 PM
There was a story about you and your family in the EEN, wasn't there? Great read.

David Gray put in some shift in the 2nd half too. Wallace was on his heels!

Lenny is going to enjoy working with these winners.

Slicer
09-06-2016, 11:15 PM
Keep watching. He also wins the ball and starts an attack in the 91st minute......

matty_f
09-06-2016, 11:37 PM
Gray was outstanding. Top thread. :thumbsup:

SlickShoes
09-06-2016, 11:41 PM
I knew he played well but I didn't notice how well until rewatching it many times, his dedication and belief is brilliant and exactly what you need from your captain.

Wouldn't worry about posting stuff folk moaned about, most of us have posted some amount of rubbish over the years!

monktonharp
09-06-2016, 11:46 PM
David Gray got criticised a few times over the season, some of it when we lost vital games although he never really got a "roasting" on here. I'd always thought of him as a crucial player in matches at times and yet never a real stand up and be counted captain. When all is said and done, he was one of the crucial elements of us winning the Scottish cup though. Not just his goal, but near the end of the game, and I think it was about 7 mins from the 90, he looked like he was to be subbed then got up and on with the job. the guy had an amazing last 10 mins, when others might have faltered. he will forever be one my favourite captains and he acted like a captain should, in difficult situations.

ben johnson
09-06-2016, 11:50 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting fellow Hibs man Dougray Scott a few months ago in London through work. He has the main mans surname in his first name. Spawny or what.

Spudster
09-06-2016, 11:54 PM
The last fifteen minutes or so really is crazy. Particularly regarding Gray, he was down injured and surely coming off, we played our last sub with extra time looming and left him on?! He wins a throw in so high up the park he barely had any business being there, he takes a quick throw in (us?! Hibs with a quick throw in?! A successful one?!) that leads to the Stokes near miss and then the corner. Well the rest is history!

monktonharp
09-06-2016, 11:59 PM
I thought it was mentioned as around 7 minutes, but never mind. that quick throw in, and the rest is history:greengrin

GreenLake
10-06-2016, 12:05 AM
This a a memory worth repeating. Over and over.

matty_f
10-06-2016, 12:08 AM
What happened after the quick throw in?

OsloHibs
10-06-2016, 01:56 AM
I'll admit it.

I slated David gray on here a few times in the past few months as I didn't feel he stepped up and gave a proper captains performance!!!! I just felt his head went down too much after we went a goal down, you know..

He was amazing in the final, he totally shut me up and that goal will be with me forever!!!

KWJ
10-06-2016, 06:04 AM
I thought David Gray was having a disappointing season and that big Gunner should've started at right back around late March. Instead, Stubbs stuck with Gray and he kicked on tremendously. He was a solid 8-9 out of ten for the run in, and a 10 in the final - like the rest.

Congratulations on the bairn SJM, way to bring another Hibee into the world. :thumbsup:

Aldo
10-06-2016, 06:20 AM
David Gray got criticised a few times over the season, some of it when we lost vital games although he never really got a "roasting" on here. I'd always thought of him as a crucial player in matches at times and yet never a real stand up and be counted captain. When all is said and done, he was one of the crucial elements of us winning the Scottish cup though. Not just his goal, but near the end of the game, and I think it was about 7 mins from the 90, he looked like he was to be subbed then got up and on with the job. the guy had an amazing last 10 mins, when others might have faltered. he will forever be one my favourite captains and he acted like a captain should, in difficult situations.

He was indeed and rightly so IMHO. As did a few others however as you have mentioned MH his harrying Clarke near the halfway line to win a throw, his quick throw and then that magnificent header will live with me forever!

I do think if Paul hadn't had a recurrence of his injury he would have been subbed!

All history now though.

Captains performance!

Zazu62
10-06-2016, 06:25 AM
He's a hero

s.a.m
10-06-2016, 06:36 AM
The last fifteen minutes or so really is crazy. Particularly regarding Gray, he was down injured and surely coming off, we played our last sub with extra time looming and left him on?! He wins a throw in so high up the park he barely had any business being there, he takes a quick throw in (us?! Hibs with a quick throw in?! A successful one?!) that leads to the Stokes near miss and then the corner. Well the rest is history!

:greengrin That struck me too. In fact, every time I watch it I can't quite believe how straightforward it is. We should try it more often! Two successful corners as well. It's like someone's interfered with the laws of physics.

Onceinawhile
10-06-2016, 06:44 AM
What happened after the quick throw in?

He gives it to Fyvie.

So we probably lost the ball or something. I left with 15 to go. Fed up seeing us lose at hampden. Bottlers.

Viva_Palmeiras
10-06-2016, 06:45 AM
:greengrin That struck me too. In fact, every time I watch it I can't quite believe how straightforward it is. We should try it more often! Two successful corners as well. It's like someone's interfered with the laws of physics.

The football gods were playing subutteo on the 21st ;)

SlickShoes
10-06-2016, 06:48 AM

Amazing eh, I dunno how many times over the last few years that I've moaned about how ineffective we are at corners. I think having McGregor in there has finally changed that as well as Liam's delivery improving over the season.

Mr White
10-06-2016, 06:53 AM
Amazing eh, I dunno how many times over the last few years that I've moaned about how ineffective we are at corners. I think having McGregor in there has finally changed that as well as Liam's delivery improving over the season.

Not to take away from any of our players but the rangers defending was awful for all 4 of the goals we scored from corners against them this season. Having said that you still need a good delivery and someone to get on the end of it and we certainly managed that :thumbsup:

woodythehibee
10-06-2016, 07:06 AM
Henderson to deliver...

Onion
10-06-2016, 07:28 AM
Watched David Gray a few times, especially in the final 20, and he played the game of his life. A real captain's performance, above anything Sevco had on the field. Cannot express how good it is to see a Hibs player with that much self belief and determination.

That alone would have been enough.

But then he had to score THAT goal and become a Hibs Legend.:thumbsup:

High-On-Hibs
10-06-2016, 07:31 AM
Gray went from rubbish, to ordinary, to great, to demi god, to god. All in the space of 94 minutes.

s.a.m
10-06-2016, 07:31 AM
Watched David Gray a few times, especially in the final 20, and he played the game of his life. A real captain's performance, above anything Sevco had on the field. Cannot express how good it is to see a Hibs player with that much self belief and determination.

That alone would have been enough.

But then he had to score THAT goal and become a Hibs Legend.:thumbsup:

:agree: He made it happen.

SuperAllyMcleod
10-06-2016, 11:52 AM
I think we need to nominate David Gray for an honour (MBE etc) - I'm sure anyone can nominate anyone else through the governments web site. Let's make "Sir David" official. [emoji106]

Northernhibee
10-06-2016, 11:58 AM
Henderson to deliver...

Cliff Pike's commentary was the best of all. If there was a vocal version of caps lock, lots of exclamation marks and the :hyper smilie that was it.

Northernhibee
10-06-2016, 12:01 PM
David Gray put in as heroic and iconic a performance in that second half that you'll ever see. He didn't take part in the game, he grabbed it and moulded it into his image. That tackle, the pressing to win the throw, the quick thinking and that header.

patlowe
10-06-2016, 12:02 PM
When you watch it back you notice that it was not just the obvious contributions that stand out from Gray's performance in the final but equally the early crunching tackles and determination to stamp his (and the team's) authority on the game were vital IMO in showing the commitment required and getting in the heads of the Rangers players. This all helps contribute to the real uncertainty many of the Rangers players felt when on the ball, not least Clark's miscontrol which ultimately led to our winner.

hibees 7062
10-06-2016, 12:05 PM
He gives it to Fyvie.

So we probably lost the ball or something. I left with 15 to go. Fed up seeing us lose at hampden. Bottlers.

Fyvie to Stokes . Rips the best right back in the world up again shoots saved . Corner we know the rest eh :greengrin

Hibbyradge
10-06-2016, 12:11 PM
https://www.gov.uk/honours/nominate-someone-in-the-uk

NAE NOOKIE
10-06-2016, 12:22 PM
The last 15 minutes of the final were probably David Gray's finest moments on a football pitch .. he chased, he harried, he fought, he covered the whole of the right side of the pitch.

His determination won the throw in that lead to the winner ( his winner http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/not%20worthy.gif ) ...... a wee mention here for Liam Henderson whose run down the wing took away a Sevco player and left a huge space for Fyvie to run into.

If anybody had a doubt as to why David Gray was made Hibs captain he answered every question that day ..... legend !!!

snedzuk
10-06-2016, 02:42 PM
Gray went from rubbish, to ordinary, to great, to demi god, to god. All in the space of 94 minutes.

...then to completely and utterly wasted on the top deck of that bus - haven't seen anyone so 'zonked' since I met Bryan Ferry many years ago.

bigwheel
10-06-2016, 02:58 PM
...then to completely and utterly wasted on the top deck of that bus - haven't seen anyone so 'zonked' since I met Bryan Ferry many years ago.

Admit it, you just wanted to share that story [emoji2][emoji2][emoji6]

TheMentalHibees
10-06-2016, 03:09 PM
Before KO id have had gunnarsson in the team. Shows what I know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super_JMcGinn
10-06-2016, 04:09 PM

At what point would you consider he was rubbish ?

FranckSuzy
10-06-2016, 04:11 PM

You should have seen the nick of him at the Sponsor's 'do' at ER earlier :tee hee: :drunk:

SouthMoroccoStu
10-06-2016, 04:28 PM
Before KO id have had gunnarsson in the team. Shows what I know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im the exact same!

When asked on the morning of the cup final who I would pick, I left Gray out on purpose.

Thank god I'm not the manager!

What a legend he truly is. It's been said before but his pressure and determination hassled the the Rangers player to win the throw in that lead to the goal!

If I caught David Gray in bed with Mrs SouthMorocco, I'd tuck him in, give him a hot chocolate and read him a bed time story

Big L
11-06-2016, 11:00 AM
Gray signed a 2yr deal in July 14 has he signed a new contract?

cabbageandribs1875
11-06-2016, 11:23 AM
Gray signed a 2yr deal in July 14 has he signed a new contract?

he signed an extension until summer 2017 :aok: still be here to lift next years SC

Big L
11-06-2016, 11:43 AM
Deserves a new long term one with a massive increase in wages a new club house his own personal masseuse and a testimonial IMO.