PDA

View Full Version : Funny story: New Hibs fans in Portugal

The Green Goblin
09-06-2016, 06:38 PM
I work in an international school in Portugal, with kids from Portugal but also a wide range of different nationalities. There's one class I really like. They're about 14/15 years old. They hadn't really heard of Hibs before I taught them, and it wasn't something I said much about, but after May 21st, they knew I was travelling back for the game and I showed them the highlights in class on the Monday and told them something about it (fighting back the tears!).

And that was about it....until today, when they got their end of year exams back, and there was about 15 minutes left at the end of the lesson, so I decided to let them do a Kahoot quiz. For those of you who don't know, Kahoot is a brilliant website where you can do interactive quizzes on just about anything, and you can make your own too. The format is fast paced (the faster they answer, the more points they get) and exciting (they compete against each other and the changing leader board appears after each question) with animated graphics, music, sound effects and multiple choice options for answers. What makes it even better for the kids, is that they get a game code and enter the quiz on their own phone or tablet/laptop.

Anyways...when they enter the quiz, they can choose their own player names. One by one they all log in, the names appear on the main screen then off we go. Today then, I set it up and waited for them to join. Then the names started appearing: "Stokesysonfire", "Big Conrad", "David Gray", "Lewis Stevenson", "Hibs Ultras" and "SuperJohnMcGinn". Without saying anything, all the lads in the class had been looking up Hibernian online and watching videos of the final on YouTube and finding out all about us!! It was a brilliant moment, hilarious, but I was moved too and told them I'd get them all a Hibs scarf in the summer break when I was back over to thank them for their tribute. 

GGTTH

TRC
09-06-2016, 06:41 PM
Awesome story mate,

bingo70
09-06-2016, 06:42 PM
Brilliant.

I was asking a taxi driver in Madrid last weekend if he'd heard of John Mcginn but he didnae have a clue. Don't think they're that fussed about football over there though 😉

I'm_cabbaged
09-06-2016, 06:42 PM
Deffo need a like button!!!! 👍

Jonnyboy
09-06-2016, 06:45 PM
I work in an international school in Portugal, with kids from Portugal but also a wide range of different nationalities. There's one class I really like. They're about 14/15 years old. They hadn't really heard of Hibs before I taught them, and it wasn't something I said much about, but after May 21st, they knew I was travelling back for the game and I showed them the highlights in class on the Monday and told them something about it (fighting back the tears!).

And that was about it....until today, when they got their end of year exams back, and there was about 15 minutes left at the end of the lesson, so I decided to let them do a Kahoot quiz. For those of you who don't know, Kahoot is a brilliant website where you can do interactive quizzes on just about anything, and you can make your own too. The format is fast paced (the faster they answer, the more points they get) and exciting (they compete against each other and the changing leader board appears after each question) with animated graphics, music, sound effects and multiple choice options for answers. What makes it even better for the kids, is that they get a game code and enter the quiz on their own phone or tablet/laptop.

Anyways...when they enter the quiz, they can choose their own player names. One by one they all log in, the names appear on the main screen then off we go. Today then, I set it up and waited for them to join. Then the names started appearing: "Stokesysonfire", "Big Conrad", "David Gray", "Lewis Stevenson", "Hibs Ultras" and "SuperJohnMcGinn". Without saying anything, all the lads in the class had been looking up Hibernian online and watching videos of the final on YouTube and finding out all about us!! It was a brilliant moment, hilarious, but I was moved too and told them I'd get them all a Hibs scarf in the summer break when I was back over to thank them for their tribute. 

GGTTH

Fantastic :greengrin

hibee_girl
09-06-2016, 06:48 PM
That's amazing! :thumbsup::flag:

Thecat23
09-06-2016, 06:49 PM

GGTTH

Can't beat reading these kind of stories. Cheers for sharing! 👍🏼

hibbymick
09-06-2016, 06:50 PM
I work in East Lothian for some very wealthy clients. They are rugby and golf people. Over the last five years I've drip fed them a few hibs stories. They are now pretty keen followers and were texting me during and after the final....including their laddie who lives in London.

MyJo
09-06-2016, 06:52 PM
superb story :aok:

Everybody loves the hibs

KWJ
09-06-2016, 06:54 PM
Great story mate, nice one!

stoneyburn hibs
09-06-2016, 06:55 PM
Great story, there goes my watery eyes again.

Hibbyradge
09-06-2016, 06:56 PM
That moved me to tears, again.

What a wonderful experience and memory for you.

Leithenhibby
09-06-2016, 06:56 PM

GGTTH

Brilliant, the cup final story will run and run. GGTTH :wink:

NAE NOOKIE
09-06-2016, 06:58 PM
Super story Green Goblin ... spreading the word. It doesn't matter where you come from, everybody understands a last minute winner in a cup final :aok:

I was in Portugal a few weeks ago and the wee guy who served in the restaurant was saying how much he loved Scotland and that he had visited a number of times ..... "my club in Scotland is Rangers and in Portugal Porto" he told me. I said "my club in Scotland is Hibs and my Portuguese team is Boavista" ... he was quite quiet after that :greengrin

Hibs Class
09-06-2016, 07:02 PM
Love it :thumbsup:

Time For Heroes
09-06-2016, 07:11 PM
magic, love it :greengrin

cam75
09-06-2016, 07:34 PM

And me💚

Lago
09-06-2016, 07:38 PM

GGTTH
Terrific story and from a teacher who would appear to enjoy teaching kids. Lovely.

One Day Soon
09-06-2016, 07:53 PM

GGTTH

Bloody hell that's me away again. Wonderful story.

lucky
09-06-2016, 08:01 PM
Just shows kids interact when they are being taught well

wookie70
09-06-2016, 08:07 PM
Great story. They all got an A in standard grade Hibs. Move it up to Higher grades next year.

Real Emerald
09-06-2016, 08:09 PM

And me 😭🏆

KdyHby
09-06-2016, 08:09 PM
I work in an international school in Portugal,

GGTTH

St Julian's?

brog
09-06-2016, 08:21 PM
Brilliant! Im currently in a bar in Olhos D'agua on Algarve with my Persevere t shirt on & enjoying explaining the significance.

jabis
09-06-2016, 08:30 PM
wonderful,now get the guitar out,and play them"sunshine on Leith"👏

FranckSuzy
09-06-2016, 08:32 PM
Wonderful story and thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

A wee story from me about my work after 21/5/16, if that's OK... I stupidly agreed to work on the Mon but boy, was I glad I did :thumbsup: On the way in, I was greeted by staff, including Jambos and The Rangers fans, to congratulate me. Even the bosses said they were thinking about me at FT and how I'd be but that they knew I'd be in regardless (others were saying I'd call in sick!). In some ways it was Karma as I was also working on the Monday after 19/5/12 and I walked in to find the same folk waiting for me to gloat and they had also cut out the back pages of the Sunday papers and put them all over the ward....

Anyway, when you first go on shift, you choose which patients/rooms you're going to look after so I told the other nurse that I would take the guys as I figured there would be some footie fans amongst them, if not Hibees, and thought I'd get a good laugh. Well, out of the 8 patients I had, 5 of them were Hibees so the day was spent going over the game (they'd all be in hospital so had missed it), laughing, singing songs etc, etc :greengrin At one point I was even paraded through the ward and pointed at, with the staff saying to the Hibees, "this is the nurse we were telling you about!" :faf: One of the guys even gave me his Sunday papers to keep (I'd not seen any as I was at the sponsors 'do'/the Links etc), bought me cakes and it turned out he was my brother's CO in the Scots Guards...mental!

All-in-all, I was soooo glad I was working and that I got to cheer the folk up that were in the ward made it even sweeter. TBH, I did eventually get a row for talking too much about Hibs but I just said it was better than any medicine, the patients all agreed and to a man, shook my hand as I went off shift :tee hee: :not worth GGTTH.

WoreTheGreen
09-06-2016, 08:34 PM
Brilliant! Im currently in a bar in Olhos D'agua on Algarve with my Persevere t shirt on & enjoying explaining the significance.

No explaynation needed we are blessed we are Hibs

poolman
09-06-2016, 08:39 PM

GGTTH

Brill story GG 😀

jabis
09-06-2016, 08:44 PM

A wee story from me about my work after 21/5/16, if that's OK... I stupidly agreed to work on the Mon but boy, was I glad I did :thumbsup: On the way in, I was greeted by staff, including Jambos and The Rangers fans, to congratulate me. Even the bosses said they were thinking about me at FT and how I'd be but that they knew I'd be in regardless (others were saying I'd call in sick!). In some ways it was Karma as I was also working on the Monday after 19/5/12 and I walked in to find the same folk waiting for me to gloat and they had also cut out the back pages of the Sunday papers and put them all over the ward....

Anyway, when you first go on shift, you choose which patients/rooms you're going to look after so I told the other nurse that I would take the guys as I figured there would be some footie fans amongst them, if not Hibees, and thought I'd get a good laugh. Well, out of the 8 patients I had, 5 of them were Hibees so the day was spent going over the game (they'd all be in hospital so had missed it), laughing, singing songs etc, etc :greengrin At one point I was even paraded through the ward and pointed at, with the staff saying to the Hibees, "this is the nurse we were telling you about!" :faf: One of the guys even gave me his Sunday papers to keep (I'd not seen any as I was at the sponsors 'do'/the Links etc), bought me cakes and it turned out he was my brother's CO in the Scots Guards...mental!

All-in-all, I was soooo glad I was working and that I got to cheer the folk up that were in the ward made it even sweeter. TBH, I did eventually get a row for talking too much about Hibs but I just said it was better than any medicine, the patients all agreed and to a man, shook my hand as I went off shift :tee hee: :not worth GGTTH.

👏 love it.

monktonharp
09-06-2016, 08:46 PM

All-in-all, I was soooo glad I was working and that I got to cheer the folk up that were in the ward made it even sweeter. TBH, I did eventually get a row for talking too much about Hibs but I just said it was better than any medicine, the patients all agreed and to a man, shook my hand as I went off shift :tee hee: :not worth GGTTH.brilliant story too Suze, along with the green goblon's one to his pupils:not worth

northstandhibby
09-06-2016, 08:46 PM
:top marks

Cracking story. Bet the kids loved watching the Hibs beating the Sevconians and lifting the Cup.

Glory Glory

Jim44
09-06-2016, 09:13 PM
Nothing 'funny' about that story - I think it's heart warming. As a former teacher, I never fail to be amazed at the reactions and resourcefulness of kids. :thumbsup:

Hi Heid Yin
09-06-2016, 09:34 PM
Heart warming stories from Green Goblin and Suzy. Thank you for sharing.
:top marks

jacomo
09-06-2016, 11:05 PM
brilliant story too Suze, along with the green goblon's one to his pupils:not worth

:agree:

Terrific stories both.

The Green Goblin
10-06-2016, 03:40 PM
Cheers for all the replies and stories. 👍 I've loved reading everyone's stories on here since the final.