PDA

View Full Version : Lennon's "baggage"

Hibbyradge
08-06-2016, 10:14 AM
What is this "baggage" that so many people say he brings?

Do people think that he tried to primed his own bombs, sent himself bullets and death threats, and arranged for someone to run onto the pitch at Tynecastle to attack him? Maybe he beat himself up and the poor guys who were jailed for doing so, were framed?

Regarding the Tynecastle assailant, by the way, he openly admitted assaulting Lennon in court, and had apologised for doing so, but the jury returned a not proven verdict! What???

And Lennon somehow gets the blame for all of this. Bizarre.

Waxy
08-06-2016, 10:17 AM
Baggage? Myth.

Hibbyradge
08-06-2016, 10:19 AM
Read this. :agree:

Why kill Neil Lennon?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/sep/17/football-why-kill-neil-lennon

High-On-Hibs
08-06-2016, 10:21 AM
You can't ignore the "baggage".

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/45094000/jpg/_45094342_lennon2_300sns.jpg

lapsedhibee
08-06-2016, 10:22 AM

:agree: Gingerism gone maaaad.

Off the bar
08-06-2016, 10:23 AM

Do people think that he tried to primed his own bombs, sent himself bullets and death threats, and arranged for someone to run onto the pitch at Tynecastle to attack him? Maybe he beat himself up and the poor guys who were jailed for doing so, were framed?

Regarding the Tynecastle assailant, by the way, he openly admitted assaulting Lennon in court, and had apologised for doing so, but the jury returned a not proven verdict! What???

I think the pbs assault was charged as a religiously motivated attack, and the motivation wasn't proven hence no prosecution.

For what it's worth I think Lennon will be the managerial equivalent of swapping Scott Allan for super John McGinn.

lyonhibs
08-06-2016, 10:23 AM
Let's not kid ourselves that he loved winding up opposing players and fans during his playing career. Clearly didn't justify the Orcs behaviour, but he wasn't a wee angel.

Couldn't care less and don't see how it will affect his ability in the Hibs role or suitability for the role though and if their wacky minds' interpretation of this "baggage" brings the Huns and Jambos to biblical seethe levels, I'm cool with that.

GGTTH :flag:

Stokesy's on fire
08-06-2016, 10:26 AM
Kris Commons will hopefully be in his baggage ha

Great managerial appointment for Hibs this.

worcesterhibby
08-06-2016, 10:27 AM
have checked with my inside sources and I can confirm that this is his baggage

https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41xmyUb+kWL._AC_UL260_SR200,260_.jpg

JeMeSouviens
08-06-2016, 10:29 AM
He likes noising up the Huns. :wink:

https://static-secure.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/columnists/2011/4/24/1303683043110/Neil-Lennon-Celtic-Ranger-007.jpg

Hibbyradge
08-06-2016, 10:33 AM
Let's not kid ourselves that he loved winding up opposing players and fans during his playing career. Clearly didn't justify the Orcs behaviour, but he wasn't a wee angel.

:

That's got nothing to do with "baggage" though.

Scott Brown, Leigh Griffiths, Ian Black, Barry Fergusson, Joey Barton and many more are all in the same mould.

No-one says they have "baggage".

s.a.m
08-06-2016, 10:35 AM

The prosecution were to blame for that one: charged him with an offence they couldn't prove (sectarian motivated assault), as opposed to one they could (assault).

Pretty Boy
08-06-2016, 10:36 AM

Couldn't care less and don't see how it will affect his ability in the Hibs role or suitability for the role though and if their wacky minds' interpretation of this "baggage" brings the Huns and Jambos to biblical seethe levels, I'm cool with that.

GGTTH :flag:

Plenty players enjoyed winding up opposing fans and players and didn't have to deal with a fraction of what Lennon has.

Not aimed at you as you haven't claimed such but anyone who doesn't believe a lot of what Lennon faced was down to pure religious bigotry is extremely naive.

Hibernia&Alba
08-06-2016, 10:38 AM
He likes noising up the Huns. :wink:

https://static-secure.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/columnists/2011/4/24/1303683043110/Neil-Lennon-Celtic-Ranger-007.jpg

The seethe :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
08-06-2016, 10:45 AM
The baggage is not Lennon's, but Scotland's sectarian burden. Because he came over as counter-aggressive and truculent, rather than conciliatory and diffident when faced with this crap, the most extreme bigots were allowed to set the general agenda against him.

That was slavishly followed by many, including some of our own supporters, due to resentment against Celtic, who had the economic advantage over other clubs, and had assumed a lot of the old hun-like arrogance that accompanies that status.

I'm delighted we have him, and that he winds up opposition fans. But the only people who seriously hate him are bigots, and the fools who allow themselves to be duped by them.

Ignore the first category, educate the second.

heretoday
08-06-2016, 10:46 AM
The baggage is not Lennon's, but Scotland's sectarian burden. Because he came over as counter-aggressive and truculent, rather than conciliatory and diffident when faced with this crap, the most extreme bigots were allowed to set the general agenda against him.

That was slavishly followed by many, including some of our own supporters, due to resentment against Celtic, who had the economic advantage over other clubs, and had assumed a lot of the old hun-like arrogance that accompanies that status.

I'm delighted we have him, and that he winds up opposition fans. But the only people who seriously hate him are bigots, and the fools who allow themselves to be duped by them.

Ignore the first category, educate the second.

Hear hear!

Spike Mandela
08-06-2016, 10:47 AM
My concern now is that all fan and media focus on Hibs will be seen through the prism of the old firm and sectarianism.

Yes it's wrong, yes Hibs and Neil will do their professional best to ignore and overcome it but I fear it may overwhelm us.

SlickShoes
08-06-2016, 10:50 AM
Rangers fans are spewing bile all over the internet about this appointment. I have no doubt he knows that even though we are in the division below he will still be treated like human garbage by the actual human garbage of this country.

Heckys Wheel
08-06-2016, 10:51 AM
The seethe :greengrin

Disgraceful

Hibernia&Alba
08-06-2016, 10:55 AM
My concern now is that all fan and media focus on Hibs will be seen through the prism of the old firm and sectarianism.

Yes it's wrong, yes Hibs and Neil will do their professional best to ignore and overcome it but I fear it may overwhelm us.

Indeed, we don't want Lennon to be the story; we need the focus to remain upon the promotion bid. The problem, of course, is that when the sectarianism makes its inevitable appearance, the story will take on a momentum of its owThe good thing is we won't have The Rangers or Hearts to play next season, which should mean the issue won't be nearly as centre stage as it would otherwise be, and taking much of the sting out of the situation. Everybody at Hibs needs to handle the situation well.

Fisherrow Harp
08-06-2016, 10:59 AM

Ignore the first category, educate the second.. Well said Sir!

ED Hibee
08-06-2016, 10:59 AM

Scott Brown, Leigh Griffiths, Ian Black, Barry Fergusson, Joey Barton and many more are all in the same mould.

Plenty of people say those players have "baggage" or carry a similar perceived reputation as Neil Lennon. Personally I have never liked Neil Lennon as he comes across as quite a nasty aggressive person who certainly seems to like confrontation.

Celtic fans used to like to play it up as a Sectarian issue but I don't remember Martin O'Neill getting the same level of abuse despite coming from the same background. I recognise that the orcs at ibrox do have their sectarian agenda but most football fans disliked him for the type of player/manager he was/is.

While not particularly keen on the appointment if he manages to instill a certain level of discipline and aggression in the players without damaging the quality of football too much then Hibs could be onto a winner in getting out of the Championship and I will be cheering him on as much as any other Hibee.

Waxy
08-06-2016, 11:05 AM

Ignore the first category, educate the second.10/10

(((Fergus)))
08-06-2016, 11:07 AM
Only baggage that comes to mind is the fact that he still has a stake in a Celtic 10-in-a-row. Will that present a conflict of interest in 2017-18? Hopefully.

Sylar
08-06-2016, 11:09 AM
He's been the victim of a poisonous sectarian ideology, but blameless he isn't. He stoked that fire repeatedly on the park and in the dugout during his time as Celtc manager - perhaps most notably when he was caught on camera shouting "orange *******s" into the Rangers dugout during an OF game at Ibrox. Giving some back is probably a natural response to relentless abuse right enough but utilising the same language of sectarian division probably wasn't an advisable strategy.

The abuse he receives is not "his own doing", nor are the bullets, bombs etc that he (and his family) have been forced to deal with. As an opposition player/manager, I hated him because he was so driven to success - he also played the Celtc mantra of victimhood very successfully, blaming all and sundry when it went wrong.

But that drive to succeed is what we need. A manager who gets angry when his team don't perform, who won't think twice about calling people out for how they cover/portray the club.

He's grown and matured a lot in some ways, and although I'm not 100% a fan from the word go, I reckon he'll be a good fit at this time.

Hibbyradge
08-06-2016, 11:10 AM
Plenty of people say those players have "baggage" or carry a similar perceived reputation as Neil Lennon. Personally I have never liked Neil Lennon as he comes across as quite a nasty aggressive person who certainly seems to like confrontation.

Celtic fans used to like to play it up as a Sectarian issue but I don't remember Martin O'Neill getting the same level of abuse despite coming from the same background. I recognise that the orcs at ibrox do have their sectarian agenda but most football fans disliked him for the type of player/manager he was/is.

While not particularly keen on the appointment if he manages to instill a certain level of discipline and aggression in the players without damaging the quality of football too much then Hibs could be onto a winner in getting out of the Championship and I will be cheering him on as much as any other Hibee.

Why aren't those other players sent bombs and bullets in the post?

Why aren't they beaten unconscious in the street and attacked on the filed of play?

Don Giovanni
08-06-2016, 11:11 AM

Spikey characters all. The kind you hate when they are against you and love when they're fighting you're cause.

Provided Lennon achieves the results on the park expected of him and is championing the Hi-bees I reckon even the doubters like me will grow to love him.

Gaun yersel Lenny!

:greengrin:

Finn2015
08-06-2016, 11:13 AM

Exactly. The death threats that Lennon received were way beyond the mark and if noising the Huns up is a crime, so be it. They give out plenty but always seem to be outraged when they get something back any way

ScottB
08-06-2016, 11:16 AM
Spikey characters all. The kind you hate when they are against you and love when they're fighting you're cause.

Provided Lennon achieves the results on the park expected of him and is championing the Hi-bees I reckon even the doubters like me will grow to love him.

Gaun yersel Lenny!

:greengrin:

Absolutely.

I'm a bit sceptical on the one hand, but on the other I'm delighted to have someone who will inspire anger, a guy people love to hate! We've missed that for awhile and I think it's the sort of spark we need.

That and he's a proven winner, at the highest level.

Beefster
08-06-2016, 11:16 AM
Only baggage that comes to mind is the fact that he still has a stake in a Celtic 10-in-a-row. Will that present a conflict of interest in 2017-18? Hopefully.

No more so than if Griffiths had been playing for Celtic against us in this year's Scottish Cup. No matter how much you love a particular club, I'd imagine that professional pride and personal glory comes above that when push comes to shove.

Lennon may well want Celtic to win 10 in a row but he'll want Hibs to pump them every time we play them whilst he's Head Coach.

Waxy
08-06-2016, 11:19 AM

Success had to be earned. Without that there is no point.

SJM
08-06-2016, 11:21 AM
Spat on that wee gimp Skacel.

Kato
08-06-2016, 11:22 AM

To an extent this is how we are already perceived, although we all know the truth. The msm love dragging others into their own narrow vision of what Scottish football fans are. When they can't drag Hibs into that they so obviously wish they could.

Captain Trips
08-06-2016, 11:23 AM
3 leagues
2 scottish cups
Last 16 of CL

Thats the only baggage I care about.

Beefster
08-06-2016, 11:24 AM

It was the other way around.

IanFaeClerrie
08-06-2016, 11:25 AM
Baggage? Myth.

The problem I see is that my wife thinks he is really ugly, unlike most Hibs players / supporters

lyonhibs
08-06-2016, 11:31 AM

Why aren't they beaten unconscious in the street and attacked on the filed of play?

That's the distinction one has to make though. Clearly the folk doing those things were disturbed individuals and most probably deconstructed bigots, but a lot of the abuse he took from the stands was in reaction to his demeanour on the pitch.

You can't call a Hibs, Aberdeen or Dundee United fan that called him a ****er or whatever a bigot.

Celtic fans loved him though, and I'm sure we will too.

IanFaeClerrie
08-06-2016, 11:32 AM

Why kill Neil Lennon?

Very interesting - would love to see his Ibrox picture

LancashireHibby
08-06-2016, 11:36 AM
Amazed to get so far down the thread and nobody referencing what actually could be deemed to be 'baggage' which is his womanising and boozing that was in the press last year (and coincidentally Bolton's form went off a cliff after it all came out). As far as I'm concerned he can do what he wants off the field (within the laws of the land) as long as he puts out a winning team on a Saturday, but as that wasn't the case at Bolton you can understand why it got people's backs up.

High-On-Hibs
08-06-2016, 11:42 AM
Amazed to get so far down the thread and nobody referencing what actually could be deemed to be 'baggage' which is his womanising and boozing that was in the press last year (and coincidentally Bolton's form went off a cliff after it all came out). As far as I'm concerned he can do what he wants off the field (within the laws of the land) as long as he puts out a winning team on a Saturday, but as that wasn't the case at Bolton you can understand why it got people's backs up.

"Womanising" and "Boozing" was never a problem for other people who have been associated with the club.

Hibbyradge
08-06-2016, 11:44 AM

You must have hated having George Best at Hibs.

bigwheel
08-06-2016, 11:44 AM

SJM you could have a record in "posts that got things wrong this year"....to name a few : Lennon appointment, this one, am I also right in thinking you posted some certainties about the Cup Final team that turned out wrong...- anyway - keep them coming - makes for a good laugh :greengrin:greengrin

LancashireHibby
08-06-2016, 11:45 AM
"Womanising" and "Boozing" was never a problem for other people who have been associated with the club.
I refer you to the bottom line of my post.

SJM
08-06-2016, 11:49 AM
It was the other way around.

Was it? Makes him more of a dirty rat then (Skacel)

lyonhibs
08-06-2016, 11:50 AM

Indeed not, as long as they did the business on the pitch I couldn't have cared less if O'Connor was shoving the GDP of Columbia up his snout or Riordan was out pavement dancing in Gorgie every other night or Tam McManus was on 1st name terms with all the strippers in the pubic triangle.

It's quite a big "as long as" though, which was the point being made.

Here's hoping we all get to see Lennon on the piss after we win the League and SC Double next season eh? :greengrin

Toldo123
08-06-2016, 11:54 AM
Delighted to have Lennon at Easter Road. I think he is exactly what we need and i am sure he will bring in a bit of steel to the team. Hopefully he will get us up for the games against the lesser teams where we failed so badly last year

To be blunt the reasons i didnt like him during his spell as manager at Celtic Park was the agressive touchline manner. He served multiple touchline bans during his spell there. In addition many of my celtic supporting friends felt this way and also that the manager of Celtic should be behaving in a more dignified manner. In fact I believe Dermot Desmond publicly rebuke Lennon's behaviour in the dugout. For me the reputation of our club is important. I do think however with Neil being out of the old firm goldfish bowl his behaviour will be considerably better. i do not recall any issues during his time with Bolton.

Mr White
08-06-2016, 11:54 AM
SJM you could have a record in "posts that got things wrong this year"....to name a few : Lennon appointment, this one, am I also right in thinking you posted some certainties about the Cup Final team that turned out wrong...- anyway - keep them coming - makes for a good laugh :greengrin:greengrin
On the other hand though he did correctly predict that David Gray would score in the cup final which more than makes up for the rest of it :thumbsup:

Leith Mo
08-06-2016, 11:57 AM

If memory serves me, the bullets in the post only began to arrive as a result of the then captain of Northern Ireland being asked if he would like to play in an All-Ireland team (don't even think the phrase "United" Ireland team was used and Lennon replied "Yes". Pure bigotry directed at him from the usual sources/because of the usual "justifications" again. FWIW I think he generally (admittedly not 100% of the time) showed tremendous courage and restraint in dealing with the threats to himself and his family and I'm sure such restraint may not have been achievable by myself nor others on here.

LancashireHibby
08-06-2016, 11:59 AM
I do think however with Neil being out of the old firm goldfish bowl his behaviour will be considerably better. i do not recall any issues during his time with Bolton.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bolton-boss-neil-lennon-very-7061990

For what it's worth, my overall negativity to Lennon's appointment isn't much to do with the shenanigans linked above, but very much to do with results on the field and his dreadful record in the transfer market while with. Bolton. Even with the much publicised financial issues, he still had a budget that would be considered more than sizeable with Hibs (signing short sighted goalkeeper Ben Amos last summer on c£16k a week, for example).

Lennon did a great PR job when he first came in and there was at least an initial upturn, but if anything things got worse when he was allowed to 'bring in his own players' as the old phrase goes, and even more so when Johan Mjallby left to go back to Sweden.

ED Hibee
08-06-2016, 12:07 PM

I don't disagree with you. There is a sectarian element to it with Rangers fans behaviour and the sending of bullets through the post is absolutely abhorrent. However the point I was trying to make was the way Celtic fans use to portray it was that if you criticised or disliked Neil Lennon then this was evidence of wider Sectarianism in society.

There are a number of reasons why people get classed as having baggage and there are multiple reasons why people are attacked in this country ( with sectarianism being one of them). As most of us know, sadly Glasgow (and a lot of other areas of Scotland for that matter) is and always has been the sort of place where there are idiots prepared to get involved in violence and attack folk for no reason.

Based on his performances as player and manager Neil Lennon is an agressive and a confrontational character and that in itself is enough for people to attack others. I don't condone any violence or attacks against him as I am against all sorts of violence. I just refuse to believe that he was solely targeted or is only referred to as having "baggage" because of his religious or national identity.

bigwheel
08-06-2016, 12:12 PM
I don't disagree with you. There is a sectarian element to it with Rangers fans behaviour and the sending of bullets through the post is absolutely abhorrent. However the point I was trying to make was the way Celtic fans use to portray it was that if you criticised or disliked Neil Lennon then this was evidence of wider Sectarianism in society.

There are a number of reasons why people get classed as having baggage and there are multiple reasons why people are attacked in this country ( with sectarianism being one of them). As most of us know, sadly Glasgow (and a lot of other areas of Scotland for that matter) is and always has been the sort of place where there are idiots prepared to get involved in violence and attack folk for no reason.

Based on his performances as player and manager Neil Lennon is an agressive and a confrontational character and that in itself is enough for people to attack others. I don't condone any violence or attacks against him as I am against all sorts of violence. I just refuse to believe that he was solely targeted or is only referred to as having "baggage" because of his religious or national identity.

He was indeed aggressive as a player - we would have loved him if he played for us like that - the sort you want on your team..

This certainly would have riled up opposing fans.

That said, I would suggest that most of the hatred to Lennon, was because he was a catholic from Northern Ireland, and was proud of his heritage. This brought out the bigoted hate from those who are stupid enough to think that way - unfortunately a too large percentage to be a small minority...

Whilst it is slowly reducing, Scotland still has a sectarian issue...and it is dominantly anti-catholic, not the other way around.

Treadstone
08-06-2016, 12:16 PM
This is a coup. No doubt. Take out the Bolton debacle (I'd sack my agent) and we'd have no chance of getting him.

Welcome to Hibs, Neil.

jacomo
08-06-2016, 12:27 PM

Why kill Neil Lennon?

Cheers for the link. Good read.

I think he's gonna put his heart and soul into this job. Can't wait for him to get started.

jacomo
08-06-2016, 12:30 PM
He was indeed aggressive as a player - we would have loved him if he played for us like that - the sort you want on your team..

That said, I would suggest that most of the hatred to Lennon, was because he was a catholic from Northern Ireland, and was proud of his heritage. This brought out the bigoted hate from those who are stupid enough to think that way - unfortunately a too large percentage to be a small minority...

Whilst it is slowly reducing, Scotland still has a sectarian issue...and it is dominantly anti-catholic, not the other way around.

I'd agree with that, but also highlight the fact that certain elements of the Celtc support love to stir the pot.

All this 'if you know your history' stuff and romanticising the Republican message... it's toxic and pathetic.

I'm confident that we will shrug this stuff off. We're bigger and better as a club.

08-06-2016, 12:41 PM

Other way about. It was the rodent that spat on Lennon

Betty Boop
08-06-2016, 12:42 PM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bolton-boss-neil-lennon-very-7061990

For what it's worth, my overall negativity to Lennon's appointment isn't much to do with the shenanigans linked above, but very much to do with results on the field and his dreadful record in the transfer market while with. Bolton. Even with the much publicised financial issues, he still had a budget that would be considered more than sizeable with Hibs (signing short sighted goalkeeper Ben Amos last summer on c£16k a week, for example).

Lennon did a great PR job when he first came in and there was at least an initial upturn, but if anything things got worse when he was allowed to 'bring in his own players' as the old phrase goes, and even more so when Johan Mjallby left to go back to Sweden.

He made a knife threat Jeezo ! :confused:

Holmesdale Hibs
08-06-2016, 12:43 PM

I couldn't stand him as a player but wouldn't deny he was very effective.

I agree mostly with the rest of your point about the problem being the attitudes of old firm football fans but he didn't help himself either and could have easily kept a lower profile. Some of his outbursts were rediculous and I hope he's learnt to behave in a way that won't embarrass the club.

I personally wouldn't have chosen him on the grounds of his baggage. I know it's not all his fault, but it's there and I don't want it associated with Hibs.

That being said, all the best to him and I'll be delighted if he can prove me wrong.

ED Hibee
08-06-2016, 12:46 PM

I agree with most of what you say regarding sectarianism in Scotland but don't believe that the dislike/hate that people had for Neil Lennon from other clubs outside of the old firm was due to his background. If so then the likes of Martin O'Neill, Paddy McCourt and Michael O'Neill would have received the same treatment.

For me and I am sure others, it was nothing to do with his background and all to do with his manner and character as a player AND manager.

RIP Bestie
08-06-2016, 01:07 PM
The baggage is obvious. May not be his fault but sectarian hatred is associated with him in Scotland and I don't want my club being associated with it. Like it or not, it is a fact and it gives the bigots a focal point.
A lot on here are very aware of this and seem very content of how this appointment is going to go down with the Rangers fans. As if that is more important than his managerial record at a club that doesn't have cash to splash.
Wonder if we will see an increase in the amount of Irish Tri-colours being waved at Easter Road?

Kato
08-06-2016, 01:17 PM
Like it or not, it is a fact and it gives the bigots a focal point.

So you're saying we should allow bigots to determine who we pick as manager?

Spike Mandela
08-06-2016, 01:20 PM
So you're saying we should allow bigots to determine who we pick as manager?

No, he's not saying that but we'd be foolish to ignore the bile that's coming our way and our manager's. Hopefully this won't distract from the job in hand.

Kato
08-06-2016, 01:30 PM
No, he's not saying that but we'd be foolish to ignore the bile that's coming our way and our manager's. Hopefully this won't distract from the job in hand.

We get bile anyway. I hope that if it increases it makes it easier to point out and vilify, the bilious.

WhileTheChief..
08-06-2016, 01:31 PM
Brilliant appointment with absolutely no down side to it at all.

NAE NOOKIE
08-06-2016, 01:36 PM
The Neil Lennon thread on 'sickbag' has already attracted a few of the Yams Billy Boys, diet huns element. Apparently Lennon's pending appointment is proof positive that Hibs are merely an offshoot of Celtic and the ( tiny ) handful of tricolours and Erin go bragh flags on show at Hampden are indicative of that, not to mention our audacity at having not one, but two, on loan Celtic players in our team, with the possibility of more to come after Lennon's appointment. Tiny Tims seems to be the current buzz word ... which is quite funny actually :greengrin

There is no doubt in my mind that the appointment of Neil Lennon is grist to the mill for folk in the Hearts support who would love to up the anti when it comes to sectarianism and bigotry .... their go to strategy apparently being to paint Hibs as a club with a deliberate policy of moving closer to Celtic's values and attitudes, with the obvious inference that their reaction should be to start selling flutes and sashes in the club shop.

Nobody is pretending that anything but a small minority of Yams are interested in turning Edinburgh into a Glasgow tribute act ..... but if you are talking about the baggage Neil Lennon carries the usefulness of his appointment to them as a hate figure who might attract more idiots to their way of thinking is part of it. That is in no way Hibs or NL's fault, but hey what can you do :dunno:

RIP Bestie
08-06-2016, 01:41 PM
We get bile anyway. I hope that if it increases it makes it easier to point out and vilify, the bilious.

This club has done so much over the years to keep the religious bile away from Easter Road. I really don't see the need to bring a sideshow that will inflame the bigotry in to root out poison that wasn't a massive problem here in the first place.

Mr White
08-06-2016, 01:44 PM
This club has done so much over the years to keep the religious bile away from Easter Road. I really don't see the need to bring a sideshow that will inflame the bigotry in to root out poison that wasn't a massive problem here in the first place.

So what you're saying is that hibs should have continued their good work promoting equality by rejecting a potential manager on the grounds of his religious background?

I'm sure there's a flaw in there somewhere...

NadeAteMyLunch!
08-06-2016, 01:46 PM

Is boozing not a prerequisite of following Hibs? It certainly helps at times

High-On-Hibs
08-06-2016, 01:50 PM
Is boozing not a prerequisite of following Hibs? It certainly helps at times

Perhaps in your case. Womanizing has always been more my thing. :cool2:

marinello59
08-06-2016, 01:52 PM

What sideshow? Not the manager surely?
Neil Lennon is a victim of sectarian behaviour, not the cause. Appointing him as manager is not a sectarian act. Any bile that comes our way because of it should see us all stand firmly behind the man.

Kato
08-06-2016, 01:53 PM

Shouldn't we just appoint who we want as manager of our football club without having to pander to or take into account the feelings of the bigots? If Lennon is a "sideshow" it's on the bigots stage not his own.

RIP Bestie
08-06-2016, 01:53 PM
So what you're saying is that hibs should have continued their good work promoting equality by rejecting a potential manager on the grounds of his religious background?

I'm sure there's a flaw in there somewhere...

No, but his latest managerial record doesn't really make it worth taking the bad feeling and hatred that is going to be attached to the club. I'm surprised that people seem to think that Lennon can virtually name his price to become Hibs manager.

Kato
08-06-2016, 01:55 PM
No, but his latest managerial record doesn't really make it worth taking the bad feeling and hatred that is going to be attached to the club.

Fair enough on your opinion regarding football.

Can't you see the hatred and bad feeling directed towards us already?

Keith_M
08-06-2016, 01:55 PM
It's a bit strange that someone that comments on sectarianism endured by Neil Lennon has a username that is anti-semitic

Maybe it's irony...

bigwheel
08-06-2016, 01:56 PM

what religious 'bile' has Lennon ever created himself? Whilst he has let himself down on occasion, I know of no time he has ever indulged in anything of a sectarian nature..

It's those bigoted cowards from the other teams, that have gave him sectarian grief...And if you are saying that it is this that should dictate who we choose then , it's a huge no to that one from me - we should be free to choose who we wish...regardless of the bigots and haters out there...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

High-On-Hibs
08-06-2016, 01:58 PM
The way I see it. The more the opposition hate our manager, the better.

Keith_M
08-06-2016, 02:00 PM
I can't seem to edit my post and add the link to my comment above, so I'll need to put it here instead

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jun/07/us-antisemitism-anti-defamation-league-echo-hate-symbol-chrome

Marco G
08-06-2016, 02:01 PM
No, but his latest managerial record doesn't really make it worth taking the bad feeling and hatred that is going to be attached to the club. I'm surprised that people seem to think that Lennon can virtually name his price to become Hibs manager.I think you are assuming too much all round.

Kato
08-06-2016, 02:03 PM
If Hibs considered Russel Latapy as manager would people be saying "better not, there's an awful lot of
racists out there, it would attract the wrong type of attention."

If Hibs in the future considered Zemmama as manager would people be saying "better not, there's an awful lot of Anti-Islamists out there, it would attract the wrong type of attention."

I'd like to know exactly what Hibs are doing wrong here.

RIP Bestie
08-06-2016, 02:04 PM
I think you are assuming too much all round.

Oh I really don't think I am.

jacomo
08-06-2016, 02:11 PM
I can't seem to edit my post and add the link to my comment above, so I'll need to put it here instead

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jun/07/us-antisemitism-anti-defamation-league-echo-hate-symbol-chrome

Not quite sure what you are referring to? :confused:

I read about this echo stuff yesterday... have to say, it's the first I've heard of it, but it seems that people are adding ((( ))) to their internet usernames to highlight anti-semitism, not endorse it?

WhileTheChief..
08-06-2016, 02:11 PM
No, but his latest managerial record doesn't really make it worth taking the bad feeling and hatred that is going to be attached to the club. I'm surprised that people seem to think that Lennon can virtually name his price to become Hibs manager.

Bad feeling and hatred attached to the club? What you talking about?

This is a massive coup for us. It's positive news all round.

Stop trying to create a problem that doesn't exist.

marinello59
08-06-2016, 02:12 PM
Bad feeling and hatred attached to the club? What you talking about?

This is a massive coup for us. It's positive news all round.

Stop trying to create a problem that doesn't exist.

Exactly.

KWJ
08-06-2016, 02:28 PM
You just know that Stewart Regan and Neil Doncaster aren't thrilled at this appointment.

Hopefully it'll force their hand to tackle the bigoted/unwarranted abuse BEFORE it's brought to their door once again when Hibs visit Ibrox and Tynecastle.

Or maybe they're delighted as 'no publicity is bad publicity'.

Beefster
08-06-2016, 02:46 PM

This is a new low for Hibs.Net.

I'm a Catholic. Presumably if some bigots decided to threaten me then you'd encourage employers to steer clear of me?

High-On-Hibs
08-06-2016, 02:47 PM
You just know that Stewart Regan and Neil Doncaster aren't thrilled at this appointment.

Hopefully it'll force their hand to tackle the bigoted/unwarranted abuse BEFORE it's brought to their door once again when Hibs visit Ibrox and Tynecastle.

Or maybe they're delighted as 'no publicity is bad publicity'.

Or perhaps they'll do their best to ensure that we don't get the opportunity to play either of these sides while Lennon is manager.

WhileTheChief..
08-06-2016, 02:47 PM
^^^ Why would Regan or Doncaster care??

If anything this just raises the profile of our game up here.

What's with all the negative waves around this place. Oddball would be spinning in his grave ;)

KWJ
08-06-2016, 03:15 PM
^^^ Why would Regan or Doncaster care??

If anything this just raises the profile of our game up here.

What's with all the negative waves around this place. Oddball would be spinning in his grave ;)

They don't wanna get their hands dirty and have to deal with the Rangers bigots. How much have we heard about the singing of Billy Boys and even more directly what kind of barsteward Allan Stubbs is.

It's gonna take even more gall for them to turn the other cheek when Lennon is in the dugout at Ibrox or a Scottish Cup Final rematch.

Not our problem!

GGTTH

SlatefordHibby
08-06-2016, 03:16 PM

Nonsense.

Dashing Bob S
08-06-2016, 03:19 PM

We've already provoked them enough by winning the cup. By appointing a manager they dislike on religious/sectarian reasons we'd be pushing them beyond the limits of what, sane rational people can be expected to take.

I feel ashamed of our behavior as a club.

Sylar
08-06-2016, 03:20 PM
what religious 'bile' has Lennon ever created himself? Whilst he has let himself down on occasion, I know of no time he has ever indulged in anything of a sectarian nature..

It's those bigoted cowards from the other teams, that have gave him sectarian grief...And if you are saying that it is this that should dictate who we choose then , it's a huge no to that one from me - we should be free to choose who we wish...regardless of the bigots and haters out there...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As per my earlier post, there's a video of him shouting "orange *******s" into the Rangers dugout following a pretty hefty challenge between him and Fernando Ricksen during an OF encounter at Ibrox...there are rumoured other such instances of him on nights out etc but I'm not sure there's any 'evidence' for those.

Finn2015
08-06-2016, 03:21 PM
We've already provoked them enough by winning the cup. By appointing a manager they dislike on religious/sectarian reasons we'd be pushing them beyond the limits of what, sane rational people can be expected to take.

I feel ashamed of our behavior as a club.

Almost as provocative as marches of triumphalism that the brethren partake in every summer id imagine

KWJ
08-06-2016, 03:46 PM
Truthfully, the thing with his ex wife is a bit of baggage but as it's limited to some tabloid allegations we'll leave that to hearsay and his/their privacy.

Then there's simply that he was a nyaff, an arse and a complete wind up merchant. That's fine, we loved Scott Brown for it and when it's being used to give your team a competitive edge then it's a positive.

Welcome to Hibs Neil, onwards and upwards.

Keith_M
08-06-2016, 04:14 PM
Not quite sure what you are referring to? :confused:

I read about this echo stuff yesterday... have to say, it's the first I've heard of it, but it seems that people are adding ((( ))) to their internet usernames to highlight anti-semitism, not endorse it?

One poster on this thread has such a username (I didn't want to out him directly) and I find it disconcerting after reading that article and why it's used, hence my post.