PDA

View Full Version : Biggest managerial coup In Hibs history?

pacoluna
08-06-2016, 08:34 AM
Neil lennon?

Certainly in my life time

GreenArmyyy!
08-06-2016, 10:11 AM
Neil lennon?

Yep, definitely.

superfurryhibby
08-06-2016, 10:14 AM
Nothing can top Eddie Turnbull from Aberdeen. Scottish Cup winner, split the Old Firm and in possession of a fantastic side at Pittodrie.

Lennon is a major coup nonetheless!

oneone73
08-06-2016, 10:22 AM
Nothing can top Eddie Turnbull from Aberdeen. Scottish Cup winner, split the Old Firm and in possession of a fantastic side at Pittodrie.

Agree 100 per cent

worcesterhibby
08-06-2016, 10:30 AM
Dempster from Motherwell will prove to be our biggest Coup...I do think Lenny will do a job though.

bigwheel
08-06-2016, 10:37 AM
Neil lennon?

I don't see it that way...where else would he have been given a gig after Bolton? It's as good a job for him as it is for us...

pacoluna
08-06-2016, 10:45 AM
I don't see it that way...where else would he have been given a gig after Bolton? It's as good a job for him as it is for us...
Celtic if not for Rodgers.

biotech
08-06-2016, 10:46 AM
Certainly, in terms of profile and proven management track record. Lennon is second to none and something of a coup for Hibs. However, he is facing a massive challenge in a tough league. He will need time to adapt to both the club and the style of football in the championship.

Bostonhibby
08-06-2016, 11:07 AM

Agree with this. I am delighted with Lennon being appointed but I am going to wait and see what he achieves with hibs. It really does look like a good statement of intent though.

hibsforeurope
08-06-2016, 11:08 AM

Anyone would have struggled to save Bolton given the financial situation there and the transfer embargo in place. It's a bit unfair to judge him on this time, unless we are to be in a similar situation to get a direct comparison.

Michael
08-06-2016, 11:11 AM
He's only a coup of he wins us the league!

bigwheel
08-06-2016, 11:13 AM
Anyone would have struggled to save Bolton given the financial situation there and the transfer embargo in place. It's a bit unfair to judge him on this time, unless we are to be in a similar situation to get a direct comparison.

I agree. Think this job will be where he is judged - but that's the point isn't it - we don't really know how good he is - and it would have been hard for him to get a bigger job after Bolton - the good thing for us is that he needs a good story in this role to build his reputation ...

SJM
08-06-2016, 11:14 AM
A guy who's had two jobs and one of them he ultimately failed Leaving him unemployed? People are getting just a wee bit ahead of themselves.

Golden Bear
08-06-2016, 11:16 AM
He's only a coup of he wins us the league!

A big bonus payment awaits him if he succeeds, according to the Beeb gossip column. I assume such a clause was written into his contract.

Ray_
08-06-2016, 11:32 AM
Great coup, but Eddie Turnbull still the biggest for me.

pacoluna
08-06-2016, 11:33 AM
A guy who's had two jobs and one of them he ultimately failed Leaving him unemployed? People are getting just a wee bit ahead of themselves.
considering he was second to rodgers in becoming Celtics manager for a second time tells me all I need to know.

To be a championship team and attract a manager with 3 spl medals 2 scottish cup medals, 2 league cup medals as well as European success is without a doubt a coup.

Baader
08-06-2016, 11:36 AM
Wonder how many managers we've had who've won the Scottish title 3 times and Scottish Cup twice BEFORE coming to Hibs..? I'd hazard probably none.

Mr White
08-06-2016, 11:49 AM
Wonder how many managers we've had who've won the Scottish title 3 times and Scottish Cup twice BEFORE coming to Hibs..? I'd hazard probably none.

Billy McNeil as caretaker after Duffy left :greengrin

SJM
08-06-2016, 11:51 AM
considering he was second to rodgers in becoming Celtics manager for a second time tells me all I need to know.

To be a championship team and attract a manager with 3 spl medals 2 scottish cup medals, 2 league cup medals as well as European success is without a doubt a coup.

Can you point out the Celtic statement saying Lennon was second choice and also the calibre of manager he was ahead of?

I didn't say he wasn't a coup, of course he is considering our position. Biggest in our history? No danger.

CapitalGreen
08-06-2016, 11:53 AM
Can you point out the Celtic statement saying Lennon was second choice and also the calibre of manager he was ahead of?

I didn't say he wasn't a coup, of course he is considering our position. Biggest in our history? No danger.

Biggest coup since we announced Stuart McCall...

Just Jimmy
08-06-2016, 11:55 AM

Still waiting to hear from you who it will be. Since you said it won't be Neil lennon?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
08-06-2016, 11:57 AM
Hasnt even managed 1 game yet...no better than anyone else at this stage.

bigwheel
08-06-2016, 12:02 PM
Hasnt even managed 1 game yet...no better than anyone else at this stage.

Well , he is at least ahead of Butcher and Calderwood! ;)

flash
08-06-2016, 12:07 PM

Announcing players are injured when they aren't would be doing that too.

HibbySpurs
08-06-2016, 12:08 PM
In my lifetime 100% yes.

Setting aside his domestic records where he was expected to win titles and cup (at Celtic) and had a pretty thankless task at Bolton it's his European exploits with Celtic that stand out for me.

2010-11 Wasn't great with them being papped out of both the CL & EL in the qualifiers
2011-12 managed third in EL group behind A. Madrid & Udinese (ok they only got in with the FC Sion fiasco)
2012-13 Qualified for the last 16 of the CL beating Barca 2-1 on the way
2013-14 Got to the CL groups with that comeback from 0-2 against Karagandy (OK they were poor in the groups but up against Barca, AC Milan & Ajax)

This for me shows quality bearing in mind the opposition Celtic were up against at times.... Last 16 of the CL with a Scottish team is an amazing achievement in my book.

He'll do for me!

SJM
08-06-2016, 12:24 PM
Announcing players are injured when they aren't would be doing that too.

That's fair enough. I don't work for the media or hibs tho I'm a punter.

Lennon the biggest managerial coup in our history then? Play the ball not the man, a simple yes or no will do.

H18S NX
08-06-2016, 12:34 PM
jock stein for me

Wilson
08-06-2016, 12:37 PM
jock stein for me

An excellent swap deal to be fair.

MagicSwirlingShip
08-06-2016, 12:39 PM
Neil lennon?

Alex Mcleish was a bigger appointment at the time in my opinion.

Although he hadn't managed at Champions League level, I'm sure he had recently split the Old Firm with Motherwell? Plus had a far more distinguished playing career which resulted in Sauzee and Latapy being brought to the club.

Regardless, this is a big statement of intent from Hibs :thumbsup:

Enough said
08-06-2016, 12:41 PM
i don't see it that way...where else would he have been given a gig after bolton? It's as good a job for him as it is for us...

this

SJM
08-06-2016, 12:44 PM
In my lifetime 100% yes.

Setting aside his domestic records where he was expected to win titles and cup (at Celtic) and had a pretty thankless task at Bolton it's his European exploits with Celtic that stand out for me.

2010-11 Wasn't great with them being papped out of both the CL & EL in the qualifiers
2011-12 managed third in EL group behind A. Madrid & Udinese (ok they only got in with the FC Sion fiasco)
2012-13 Qualified for the last 16 of the CL beating Barca 2-1 on the way
2013-14 Got to the CL groups with that comeback from 0-2 against Karagandy (OK they were poor in the groups but up against Barca, AC Milan & Ajax)

This for me shows quality bearing in mind the opposition Celtic were up against at times.... Last 16 of the CL with a Scottish team is an amazing achievement in my book.

He'll do for me!

Then you have losing in Semi finals of the Scottish to Ross County with Martin Scott as their main man, Hearts in another semi, Rangers in turmoil in the league cup final, Morton who got relegated from the championship that season in the league cup at home, Killie in the league cup final, st mirren in the league cup semis and losing the league to Rangers the year try where only credible challengers in his time.

There is obviously good aspects also such as beating Barca once. He also talks a good game, is still learning and come across as nice. You would hope he's learned a lot from the Bolton disaster and mellowed being away from the melting pot of the old firm. We have to pray he starts his hibs career a lot better than his previous two appointments because there is no excuses getting out this league next season.

Coup, yes, of course. Biggest ever? No danger.

pacoluna
08-06-2016, 12:47 PM
Alex Mcleish was a bigger appointment at the time in my opinion.

Although he hadn't managed at Champions League level, I'm sure he had recently split the Old Firm with Motherwell? Plus had a far more distinguished playing career which resulted in Sauzee and Latapy being brought to the club.

Regardless, this is a big statement of intent from Hibs :thumbsup:

He was a good manager at the time for hibs no disputing that however I wouldn't have called him a coup, he had motherwell in 2 relegation battles before he resigned.

northstandhibby
08-06-2016, 12:49 PM
Then you have losing in Semi finals of the Scottish to Ross County with Martin Scott as their main man, Hearts in another semi, Rangers in turmoil in the league cup final, Morton who got relegated from the championship that season in the league cup at home, Killie in the league cup final, st mirren in the league cup semis and losing the league to Rangers the year try where only credible challengers in his time.

There is obviously good aspects also such as beating Barca once. He also talks a good game, is still learning and come across as nice. You would hope he's learned a lot from the Bolton disaster and mellowed being away from the melting pot of the old firm. We have to pray he starts his hibs career a lot better than his previous two appointments because there is no excuses getting out this league next season.

I think you have to put it into context here SMJ. Maybe not the biggest ever coup if we were still a Premier League team but it most certainly is when you consider we are in the Championship to get a manager of the status and profile of Neil. An amazing appointment in all aspects.

Well done all at Hibernian for this amazing managerial appointment. A fantastic achievement.

Glory Glory.=

Forza Fred
08-06-2016, 12:51 PM

I dunno about the Ned bit.

My recollection is that we were still considered a 'bigger' club than Aberdeen at the time, and it was a matter of 'when' and not 'if' Eddie Turnbull would end up as our manager.

Lennon, and with us being now a championship side makes it a different matter for my thinking, and certainly would not have been predicted in the same way that we all knew Ned would return as manager.

pacoluna
08-06-2016, 12:53 PM

Any manager who has managed a side that has bet Barcelona in there CV is good enough for me.:wink: Especially giving the fact we are in the championship!

Edson Arantes
08-06-2016, 01:04 PM
How about it being a massive 'feather in his cap' for Neil Lennon?

Spudster
08-06-2016, 01:14 PM
While I'm happy with the appointment time will tell. Folk referencing a single game against Barca maybe need a reality check. Not to go all Warburton but the stats for that game suggest it was an absolute fluke
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A7IwadVCcAAazNg.png

erin go bragh
08-06-2016, 01:25 PM

It was between Lennon and Raneri ( spelling ) for the Leicster job .
I personally think it's a brilliant signing .

E10 Rifle
08-06-2016, 01:28 PM
Dempster from Motherwell will prove to be our biggest Coup...I do think Lenny will do a job though.

She's the one I would be most worried about losing in the future not a player or future manager.

SeanWilson
08-06-2016, 01:30 PM
BBC now reporting he'll be the highest paid hibs manager in our history, which is crazy considering the likes of McLeish and the money we had at that time.

Marco G
08-06-2016, 02:08 PM
BBC now reporting he'll be the highest paid hibs manager in our history, which is crazy considering the likes of McLeish and the money we had at that time.Why is it crazy, if true? McLeish had only had the Motherwell job before he joined us, and anyway we don't even know if Neil Lennon has yet signed a contract, never mind what he is paid. If it gets us promoted then it's a good deal!

bigwheel
08-06-2016, 02:12 PM
Why is it crazy, if true? McLeish had only had the Motherwell job before he joined us, and anyway we don't even know if Neil Lennon has yet signed a contract, never mind what he is paid. If it gets us promoted then it's a good deal!

I doubt it true...although he may be on big bonus on promotion...McLeish was a time when SKY money was in the Scottish game..we have players of 6-8k per week...now we will be lucky to have a player on 2k basic....

If I recall McLeish was supposed to be on 250k per year at Hibs, can't see Lennon be on anywhere near that....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SeanWilson
08-06-2016, 02:13 PM
Why is it crazy, if true? McLeish had only had the Motherwell job before he joined us, and anyway we don't even know if Neil Lennon has yet signed a contract, never mind what he is paid. If it gets us promoted then it's a good deal!

Mcleish was our manager round about the DelaCruz money.... he must have been on a wedge.

WhileTheChief..
08-06-2016, 02:16 PM
Absolutely yes, 100%.

I'm 44. First time I've been excited by a new Hibs managers' appointment.

Closest before that was when Blackley got sacked!!

Thecat23
08-06-2016, 02:28 PM
Colin Calderwood 👀

KWJ
08-06-2016, 02:49 PM
While I'm happy with the appointment time will tell. Folk referencing a single game against Barca maybe need a reality check. Not to go all Warburton but the stats for that game suggest it was an absolute fluke
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A7IwadVCcAAazNg.png

Not all about stats. I remember that game, Celtic set up perfectly. Barca had all the ball but were mostly restricted to shots from outside the box which was very unusual for them.

That said, they cracked the woodwork a couple of times and Celtic definitely needed that bit of luck but they did grind it out and the Tony Watt goal was some moment.

Onion
08-06-2016, 03:09 PM
Time will tell. We all thought Stokes was going to be a decent signing, and look .... erm ... ok a top appointment. Hibs might be in the Championship but can still pull in top players and a top manager. Better than we could have hoped for by a distance . Well done LD !!

Bristolhibby
08-06-2016, 03:12 PM
Has he been officially announced?

J

hibs69
08-06-2016, 04:10 PM
I feel he's still to prove himself if I'm honest. Not his fault at Bolton, financially they were/are in a mess......., and he managed Celtic when The Sevconians were away for a few years........, my 88 year auld granny would've won the SPL with Celtic. Big enough name, but still to prove himself....., and the biggest test is more than likely season after next. Win league, finish runners up SPL 17/18 and that'll be ok. Oh and another cup as well. Get it done Nelly boy.

CapitalGreen
08-06-2016, 04:17 PM
I feel he's still to prove himself if I'm honest. Not his fault at Bolton, financially they were/are in a mess......., and he managed Celtic when The Sevconians were away for a few years........, my 88 year auld granny would've won the SPL with Celtic. Big enough name, but still to prove himself....., and the biggest test is more than likely season after next. Win league, finish runners up SPL 17/18 and that'll be ok. Oh and another cup as well. Get it done Nelly boy.

Would your granny have lost only 1 league game all season and had her team score over 100 league goals while losing star players such as Hooper and Wanyama in the summer and Ledley in January?

hibs69
08-06-2016, 04:40 PM
Would your granny have lost only 1 league game all season and had her team score over 100 league goals while losing star players such as Hooper and Wanyama in the summer and Ledley in January?

Aye. That's with all her coffee mornings.

DH1875
08-06-2016, 05:23 PM
I'm still gobsmacked we've pulled this off. No idea about his wages but on the scale of world football I'm sure he would and could demand higher wages than what Stubbs is on at Rotherham. Have we offered more to Lennon than what was on the table for Stubbs to stay?

Treadstone
08-06-2016, 05:33 PM
You would hope he's learned a lot from the Bolton disaster and mellowed being away from the melting pot of the old firm. We have to pray he starts his hibs career a lot better than his previous two appointments because there is no excuses getting out this league next season.

?? I doubt he will start his Hibs career better than his stewardship of Celtic as he won his first eight league games.

neil7908
08-06-2016, 06:11 PM
We'll find out soon enough whether he is going to be a good appointment or not but I'm 30 and he's far and away the most successful and biggest name we've brought in (as a manager).

Things could still go horribly wrong but if we pull this off its an absolutely sensational bit of business.

DH1875
08-06-2016, 06:20 PM
?? I doubt he will start his Hibs career better than his stewardship of Celtic as he won his first eight league games.

He better no be far off winning his first 8 league games in all honesty.

Keith_M
08-06-2016, 06:20 PM
Not in my lifetime but, the biggest managerial coup in Hibs' history was getting Willie McCartney from Hearts.

lucky
08-06-2016, 06:27 PM
I think it is the biggest coup. I'm desperate for the new season to begin. Has anyone ever went through a Scottish league unbeaten? That's how positive I am about his signing. Well done LD

makaveli1875
08-06-2016, 06:27 PM
this is huge ,my head is still spinning from winning the cup and losing stubbs . replacing him with a title and cup winning manager is beyond any of our wildest dreams .
he is in another league to all the other candidates , great work by LD and the board :not worth

truehibernian
08-06-2016, 06:50 PM
It's a logical choice and thankfully Leeann applies logic when decision making. This group of players, most of them, have been a real group for two seasons - there's a togetherness and the ones brought in last season added quality and character - Stubbs himself had stature in the game which in itself earned him respect - our next manager had to have stature. Hiring an unknown, for this close knit group, could actually have been counter-productive. This appointment means the squad will remain tight, but respect and parameters are there between staff and players.

NL will also unsettle refs and opposition managers - which personally I like. I think we'll get more decisions this year than last.

CRAZYHIBBY
08-06-2016, 08:20 PM
Lennons landed on his feet getting the hibs jobs

The Leith Dutch
08-06-2016, 09:06 PM
Dempster from Motherwell will prove to be our biggest Coup

This.

SJM
08-06-2016, 11:49 PM

Humiliated in the Scottish cup too though or doesn't that count? His first proper season he started shocking and was on the verge of the sack.

Vault Boy
08-06-2016, 11:57 PM
To echo a few others, in my lifetime, yes this is certainly the biggest name we've pulled out of the bag. Ironic that we've done so whilst in the second tier!

TheFamous1875
09-06-2016, 12:20 AM
He's by far the biggest managerial coup in my lifetime - but compared to Eddie Turnbull when he was at Aberdeen? Can't be.

Weststandwanab
09-06-2016, 06:40 AM

100% agree with this.

This.

You beat me to it :flag:

GloryGlory
09-06-2016, 07:08 AM
He's by far the biggest managerial coup in my lifetime - but compared to Eddie Turnbull when he was at Aberdeen? Can't be.

ISTR with Ned that this was perceived at the time as not so much a coup, but that it had an inevitability with Ned seen as "coming home".

Treadstone
09-06-2016, 07:24 AM
Humiliated in the Scottish cup too though or doesn't that count? His first proper season he started shocking and was on the verge of the sack.

You didn't specify the criteria, you stated 'started his career'. 'First proper season' because that suits your agenda. Took over a struggling team (just beaten 4-0 in Paisley) and won every league game to end the season. Did struggle but ultimately came through or should we just look at the negative?

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
09-06-2016, 08:23 AM
I think this is a very good appointment, but i also think people are getting a wee bit carried away.

In scottish terms, hes a very impressive appointment. Why do people feel the needbto rank it?

Hamish
09-06-2016, 08:27 AM
Not in my lifetime but, the biggest managerial coup in Hibs' history was getting Willie McCartney from Hearts.

Like Willie did, Neil will be working 8 days a week to get us back into the top flight.

Tom Hart RIP
09-06-2016, 09:29 AM
Bob Shankly won the league with Dundee before arriving at ER. Ps happy to welcome NL and GP to the club.

judas
09-06-2016, 09:47 AM
Neil lennon?

I don't think he's a good manager.

But I suppose he is a big appointment in the sense that he has held 1 high profile managerial post before coming to Hibs.