PDA

View Full Version : Farid El Alagui: Hibby For Life

Heckys Wheel
08-06-2016, 06:29 AM
Feel sorry for Farid. Has now married into the Hibs family but just didn't get a run of games to stay fit. As Stubbs' "plan B" I'm sure his injuries had a big effect on some results when we couldn't break the other team down and needed to mix it up a little. He's looking to stay in Scotland and if he could get a run of games, would be a good signing for a championship team. Glad we're not taking the risk on him again though.

Farid El Alagui: I could’ve done so much more at Hibs

ANTHONY BROWN
06:30 Wednesday 08 June 2016

Farid El Alagui is on the lookout for a new challenge after a “mixed” two years with Hibs.

The 30-year-old Moroccan managed only 21 appearances in an injury-disrupted stint at Easter Road. Despite his fitness problems, he insists he has no regrets about agreeing to become the second signing of Alan Stubbs’ tenure two years ago.

“I’ve got mixed feelings when I look back on my time at Hibs,” he said, in conversation with the Evening News in a North Edinburgh coffee shop. “I was happy to be there at this stage in my career and it was a great place to be under Alan Stubbs but the big frustration was that I was not able to produce for a long period of time because of injuries. I feel like I did well when I played. I was feeling fine when I was fit and involved, 
especially when I first signed. I regret my injuries but I definitely don’t regret going to Hibs. I just feel, obviously, that I could have done so much more.

“Even though I had a bad time with injuries, the fans have always been great with me. Apart from the injuries, I’ve got some great memories from my time at Hibs. The club will always have a special place in my heart.”

El Alagui had scored four goals in his first five appearances for Hibs before a serious Achilles injury, sustained away to Alloa Athletic, effectively killed his chances of being a success at Easter Road. He eventually returned to action later that season, and scored in a 2-0 victory over Hearts, but he wasn’t playing pain-free. Surgery last summer to remove screws from his Achilles area, which he thought would cause minimal disruption, then had a debilitating effect on him for the first half of the season just finished. By the time he eventually rediscovered his fitness, his body remained prone to 
irritating niggles.

“The big one at the start, the Achilles, was the worst,” the striker said. “In the second season, I had to remove the screws from the operation the previous season and I thought it would only take a couple of weeks to get fit again, but it took a lot longer for me to start jogging because it was painful.

“I eventually started to feel really good from January onwards – that was as good as I’d felt for a long time. I was training a lot but I just couldn’t get a rhythm of games. It was on-off, on-off, so when I did come on I kept getting niggles. I started against Livingston in April then felt something in my hamstring which wasn’t related to my Achilles problem. We took a little risk to come back for the Scottish Cup semi-final against Dundee United a couple of weeks after that, but it unfortunately it didn’t work. I felt my hamstring again and that turned out to be my last game for Hibs.”

El Alagui left with seven Hibs goals to his name. Two of them came against Hearts. “The highlight of my time at Hibs was the derbies, especially the one where I scored and we won,” he said. “I scored a good goal against them at the start but we lost. That was when I was feeling good, before the injuries. When you sign for Hibs, you get told all about the derbies and they are games you look forward to. I really enjoyed the derbies.”

El Alagui is unable to cite the Scottish Cup triumph last month as the highlight because, although he enjoyed every moment of the weekend, he didn’t feel like he had contributed to the history-making match against Rangers. “I’m not going to lie – it was hard to enjoy it as much as if you had played a part in it,” he said. “I enjoyed everything about the weekend. The open-top bus parade on Sunday was incredible – I was shocked by the scenes. But inside I was just wishing I could have been involved.

“I was back training the day before the final, but I knew I wouldn’t be playing because I wasn’t match fit. I travelled with the team and was part of the whole occasion. I was in with the group and sat in the dugout next to the rest of the subs. There was me, Sam Stanton, Danny Handling and Kevin Thomson sat in our suits, and I just wanted to get changed into my kit. When Dave [Gray] scored the winner, I can hardly remember what I did. I was just jumping around. It was incredible.”

Although El Alagui’s time at Easter Road is now over, he will remain part of the Hibs family – literally. The Bordeaux-born Moroccan met his partner Jenna just after he signed for Hibs and they are due to welcome their first child into the world next month. “After a game, just after I’d signed for Hibs, I went for food with a friend and I met Jenna in the restaurant,” he said. “It was random, but her and her family are proper Hibs fans.

“I had them sitting just behind the dugout with the rest of the players’ families at the final, so I was really happy that they got to see Hibs win the Scottish Cup at a time when I was involved with the club. They got to have their photo taken with the cup – great memories for them and myself.”

Although El Alagui has no idea where his next move will take him, he is hopeful of remaining in Scotland, a country he first fell in love with when joining Falkirk five years ago. After a year-and-a-half in London with Brentford, he returned north to join Dundee United on loan in early 2014 before signing for Hibs. With his new arrival looming, he would prefer to stay put.

“I will have a baby who is half Scottish, half Moroccan,” he laughed. “Even when I first came to Scotland with Falkirk, I felt really comfortable in this country. I didn’t expect to feel so good here. The plan is to stay here for longer. I love the country, I love the people and, of course, my girlfriend is from here. I’ve not got anything on the table at the moment, but I will sit down with my agent in the next few weeks and see what we’re going to do next. Ideally, I would like to stay in Scotland, but I would have no problem going abroad. I don’t know where I will be next.”

El Alagui looks a picture of health and declares himself in prime condition fitness-wise. He knows that wherever his next move takes him, it is critical that he enjoys an injury-free summer as he strives to get his career back on track. “I need a good pre-season and a good run of games from the start to be fit for the long term,” he said. “Apart from the niggles at the end of the season, every time I played I felt sharp and feel like I contributed at Hibs. The good thing is that I managed to get fit just before the final, so I’m ready to start pre-season as soon as I get a new club. I’ve been out running and keeping in touch with the Hibs fitness coach, who has given me a programme, so I’m feeling 100 per cent. That will mean I can do pre-season like every other player. I’ve not played much recently so it is no good for me to take a month off over summer. I need to keep going. I’m a fit person naturally so I enjoy doing all the work.”

lyonhibs
08-06-2016, 06:55 AM
Feel sorry for Farid. Has now married into the Hibs family but just didn't get a run of games to stay fit. As Stubbs' "plan B" I'm sure his injuries had a big effect on some results when we couldn't break the other team down and needed to mix it up a little. He's looking to stay in Scotland and if he could get a run of games, would be a good signing for a championship team. Glad we're not taking the risk on him again though.

Farid El Alagui: I could’ve done so much more at Hibs

ANTHONY BROWN
06:30 Wednesday 08 June 2016

Farid El Alagui is on the lookout for a new challenge after a “mixed” two years with Hibs.

The 30-year-old Moroccan managed only 21 appearances in an injury-disrupted stint at Easter Road. Despite his fitness problems, he insists he has no regrets about agreeing to become the second signing of Alan Stubbs’ tenure two years ago.

“I’ve got mixed feelings when I look back on my time at Hibs,” he said, in conversation with the Evening News in a North Edinburgh coffee shop. “I was happy to be there at this stage in my career and it was a great place to be under Alan Stubbs but the big frustration was that I was not able to produce for a long period of time because of injuries. I feel like I did well when I played. I was feeling fine when I was fit and involved, 
especially when I first signed. I regret my injuries but I definitely don’t regret going to Hibs. I just feel, obviously, that I could have done so much more.

“Even though I had a bad time with injuries, the fans have always been great with me. Apart from the injuries, I’ve got some great memories from my time at Hibs. The club will always have a special place in my heart.”

El Alagui had scored four goals in his first five appearances for Hibs before a serious Achilles injury, sustained away to Alloa Athletic, effectively killed his chances of being a success at Easter Road. He eventually returned to action later that season, and scored in a 2-0 victory over Hearts, but he wasn’t playing pain-free. Surgery last summer to remove screws from his Achilles area, which he thought would cause minimal disruption, then had a debilitating effect on him for the first half of the season just finished. By the time he eventually rediscovered his fitness, his body remained prone to 
irritating niggles.

“The big one at the start, the Achilles, was the worst,” the striker said. “In the second season, I had to remove the screws from the operation the previous season and I thought it would only take a couple of weeks to get fit again, but it took a lot longer for me to start jogging because it was painful.

“I eventually started to feel really good from January onwards – that was as good as I’d felt for a long time. I was training a lot but I just couldn’t get a rhythm of games. It was on-off, on-off, so when I did come on I kept getting niggles. I started against Livingston in April then felt something in my hamstring which wasn’t related to my Achilles problem. We took a little risk to come back for the Scottish Cup semi-final against Dundee United a couple of weeks after that, but it unfortunately it didn’t work. I felt my hamstring again and that turned out to be my last game for Hibs.”

El Alagui left with seven Hibs goals to his name. Two of them came against Hearts. “The highlight of my time at Hibs was the derbies, especially the one where I scored and we won,” he said. “I scored a good goal against them at the start but we lost. That was when I was feeling good, before the injuries. When you sign for Hibs, you get told all about the derbies and they are games you look forward to. I really enjoyed the derbies.”

El Alagui is unable to cite the Scottish Cup triumph last month as the highlight because, although he enjoyed every moment of the weekend, he didn’t feel like he had contributed to the history-making match against Rangers. “I’m not going to lie – it was hard to enjoy it as much as if you had played a part in it,” he said. “I enjoyed everything about the weekend. The open-top bus parade on Sunday was incredible – I was shocked by the scenes. But inside I was just wishing I could have been involved.

“I was back training the day before the final, but I knew I wouldn’t be playing because I wasn’t match fit. I travelled with the team and was part of the whole occasion. I was in with the group and sat in the dugout next to the rest of the subs. There was me, Sam Stanton, Danny Handling and Kevin Thomson sat in our suits, and I just wanted to get changed into my kit. When Dave [Gray] scored the winner, I can hardly remember what I did. I was just jumping around. It was incredible.”

Although El Alagui’s time at Easter Road is now over, he will remain part of the Hibs family – literally. The Bordeaux-born Moroccan met his partner Jenna just after he signed for Hibs and they are due to welcome their first child into the world next month. “After a game, just after I’d signed for Hibs, I went for food with a friend and I met Jenna in the restaurant,” he said. “It was random, but her and her family are proper Hibs fans.

“I had them sitting just behind the dugout with the rest of the players’ families at the final, so I was really happy that they got to see Hibs win the Scottish Cup at a time when I was involved with the club. They got to have their photo taken with the cup – great memories for them and myself.”

Although El Alagui has no idea where his next move will take him, he is hopeful of remaining in Scotland, a country he first fell in love with when joining Falkirk five years ago. After a year-and-a-half in London with Brentford, he returned north to join Dundee United on loan in early 2014 before signing for Hibs. With his new arrival looming, he would prefer to stay put.

“I will have a baby who is half Scottish, half Moroccan,” he laughed. “Even when I first came to Scotland with Falkirk, I felt really comfortable in this country. I didn’t expect to feel so good here. The plan is to stay here for longer. I love the country, I love the people and, of course, my girlfriend is from here. I’ve not got anything on the table at the moment, but I will sit down with my agent in the next few weeks and see what we’re going to do next. Ideally, I would like to stay in Scotland, but I would have no problem going abroad. I don’t know where I will be next.”

El Alagui looks a picture of health and declares himself in prime condition fitness-wise. He knows that wherever his next move takes him, it is critical that he enjoys an injury-free summer as he strives to get his career back on track. “I need a good pre-season and a good run of games from the start to be fit for the long term,” he said. “Apart from the niggles at the end of the season, every time I played I felt sharp and feel like I contributed at Hibs. The good thing is that I managed to get fit just before the final, so I’m ready to start pre-season as soon as I get a new club. I’ve been out running and keeping in touch with the Hibs fitness coach, who has given me a programme, so I’m feeling 100 per cent. That will mean I can do pre-season like every other player. I’ve not played much recently so it is no good for me to take a month off over summer. I need to keep going. I’m a fit person naturally so I enjoy doing all the work.”

A massive case of "what might have been" with Farid. Sadly his assertion that he's "a fit person naturally" was patently untrue during his spell here.

2 quality finishes against The Filth though :agree: :agree:

Baader
08-06-2016, 07:00 AM
A real shame as he started so well for us and would have helped us a lot barring injury.

No brainer the club had to free up his wage

SON OF PADDY
08-06-2016, 08:05 AM
I wish you all the very best Farid,may you remain injury free and find yourself a club soon.
Thanks for your goals. ggtth

Andy74
08-06-2016, 08:17 AM
Interesting he doesn't mention his knee which many have been telling us is the reason he is finished.

SlickShoes
08-06-2016, 08:31 AM
Feel bad for the guy, fell victim to the horrific pitch at Alloa and never recovered. Seems like a nice guy, hopefully he can get one last chance to play football somewhere else. It can't be easy coming to terms with your career nearing it's end especially when it's forced on you.

Heisenberg
08-06-2016, 08:33 AM
Good luck to him. Just hope he doesn't have a miraculous recovery and turn out for Falkirk, playing every game of next season.

LustForLeith
08-06-2016, 08:36 AM
Fully fit, he's more than capable of scoring goals in Scotland and hes previously shown this. Wish him all the best for the future.

MyJo
08-06-2016, 08:40 AM
Really really bad luck with the injuries he has had, if he had been fit and able to play in some of those games where we struggled to break teams down he might have made the difference as we missed having a proper physical target man to play upfront.

Hope he gets back to full fitness and finds himself a club.

Heckys Wheel
08-06-2016, 08:45 AM
Interesting he doesn't mention his knee which many have been telling us is the reason he is finished.

He'll be looking for a new club so declaring himself fully fit and a naturally fit guy is probably standard.

From all accounts that knee injury he had would have a knock on effect to the fittest of players. Feel sorry for the guy but as stated, hope he doesn't recover and come up against us next season. He's a right handful when fit.

NAE NOOKIE
08-06-2016, 12:02 PM
So unlucky with injury it was unreal ... when he did play it was obvious he would have been a real asset if he had stayed fully fit. I wish him all the very best and hope he doesn't come back to bite us on the arse, coz he is an obvious threat. The fact that he has links to both Falkirk and Dundee Utd is a bit of a worry I have to say .... you could see both clubs thinking of taking a punt on him.

The one thing his story does highlight is that the SFA / SPFL need to get their act together regarding player safety ... I don't care if it cant be proved that Alloa's pitch was directly responsible for his horrific Achilles injury, every player and manager in the league hated going to play there because of "the state of the pitch" and IMO if a club with a synthetic pitch cant show that it is fit for professional football they should be made to play matches at a different venue until they can either replace their plastic pitch with a new one, or even better, rip the bloody thing up and replace it with a proper grass one.

If I had anything to do with it no club in the premiership would be allowed a synthetic pitch ... when you look at the pitches in the EPL they are all like bowling greens and with a few exceptions are purely grass pitches, the question has to be asked why our grass pitches fall apart so easily when the expertise so obviously exists to stop that happening.

Andy74
08-06-2016, 12:06 PM
He'll be looking for a new club so declaring himself fully fit and a naturally fit guy is probably standard.

From all accounts that knee injury he had would have a knock on effect to the fittest of players. Feel sorry for the guy but as stated, hope he doesn't recover and come up against us next season. He's a right handful when fit.

Yeah but he discusses the achilles injury then hamstring problems. The only mention of a knee issue has only ever been in here. Does it exist?

tamig
08-06-2016, 12:20 PM
Yeah but he discusses the achilles injury then hamstring problems. The only mention of a knee issue has only ever been in here. Does it exist?

I'm sure more than a couple of posters have told us over the past season that he was finished as he had a glass knee. It seems to be pretty clear that that is a work of hibs.net fiction.

Lago
08-06-2016, 12:24 PM
Yip got fed up being told it was bone on bone, now no mention fully fit & raring to go, strange.

08-06-2016, 12:28 PM
Really like Farid and when he was fit, he was a very good striker. Sadly that wasn't too often though!

Gutted for him.

jacomo
08-06-2016, 12:35 PM
I'm sure more than a couple of posters have told us over the past season that he was finished as he had a glass knee. It seems to be pretty clear that that is a work of hibs.net fiction.

Is it though?

IIRC it came from some fairly credible sources on here. Our coaching team clearly lost faith in him, although he clearly wants to continue playing.

I wish Farid well. Wish it had worked out for him at Hibs, we definitely need a player of his ilk. I worry about Peter Houston bringing him back to Falkirk...

HibbiesandtheBaddies
08-06-2016, 12:50 PM
Would love to have seen big Farid without the injuries as I thought he is quality and was just what we needed to get the best out of Cummings and form a real partnership.

Can see what he is saying about not feeling directly involved in the final and celebrations. But as far as i'm concerned the whole squad won that trophy, not just the team on the day, as the spirit and bond between the players is really apparent.

essexhibee
08-06-2016, 02:30 PM
Had to be moved on but a real shame. On his day he was class, such as the derby where Hearts simply couldn't handle him.

All the best Farid.

FitbaFolkKen
08-06-2016, 03:03 PM
Really liked Farid, just a shame injuries prevented him from taking a bigger role with us the last two seasons.

Best of luck wherever he goes.

TheFamous1875
08-06-2016, 03:05 PM
Definitely a Hibs cult hero, and one with the rare distinction of being a Hibs cult hero for the right reasons :aok:

Allant1981
08-06-2016, 04:04 PM
A massive case of "what might have been" with Farid. Sadly his assertion that he's "a fit person naturally" was patently untrue during his spell here.

2 quality finishes against The Filth though :agree: :agree:

He got a really bad injury which prevented him from playing, doesnt mean he isnt a fit person

wills
08-06-2016, 04:52 PM
I thought Farid always looked the part when he played, his injuries spoilt a promising time with us. Maybe I'm being a bit sentimental but I would like him to be offered pre-season training with us with a possible pay if you play contract. If he finds another club then I wish him all the best

Hi Heid Yin
08-06-2016, 09:59 PM
The best part of 2 years in the hospital wing tells its own story.
It's a shame as Farid looked a threat when playing and offered us a physicality like no other forward.
I wish him well in life, wherever it takes him.
Thank you Farid for all your efforts and for playing for our club with your heart.

lucky
08-06-2016, 10:06 PM
I met the guy once and he was real gent however as player he spent to much time injured for Hibs to give him another contract. But I'm sure Lenny will have better players in mind