PDA

View Full Version : NHC Euro Championships 2016

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13

Mr White
20-06-2016, 09:02 PM
Very well done to Wales. Outstanding and I'm pleased for them :thumbsup:

Finn2015
20-06-2016, 09:03 PM
Yip they have done very well and deserve their place and who knows, they may go further yet

Mon Dieu4
20-06-2016, 09:05 PM
Bilic really is a class act:top marks

pacoluna
20-06-2016, 09:06 PM
:agree:

Not asking for anywhere near a win - just qualifying would be nice. The last time Scotland qualified for a major tournament I was 7, and I had zero interest in football and wasn't even aware it happened.

You weren't aware Scotland were in the world cup group stages at the age of 7? What age did you start to take an interest in football?

chinaman
20-06-2016, 09:10 PM
I am indeed

Good man.
Your fans were outstanding tonight best atmosphere at a game since ....hampden 21/5/16, well done wales

pacoluna
20-06-2016, 09:13 PM
I was quite clear that it was absolutely a dig at Scotland.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Scotland were extremely unlucky not to qualify, under vogts and levein we were dire, however under Strahan there was a massive improvement. You couldn't fault Scotland or stachan in the qualifiers other than perhaps settling for a draw against ROI. I'm optimistic with Scotland going forward.

Iain G
20-06-2016, 09:15 PM
Bilic really is a class act:top marks

Have enjoyed listening to him this tournament, certainly more so than Wright or Crouch tonight!

nellio
20-06-2016, 09:16 PM
Good man.
Your fans were outstanding tonight best atmosphere at a game since ....hampden 21/5/16, well done wales

Cheers pal. Just sinking a few celebratory beers.

Jonnyboy
20-06-2016, 09:17 PM
Well done Wales :aok:

Though Bale and Ramsay were excellent I thought wee Joe Allen was outstanding

The_Todd
20-06-2016, 09:18 PM
I hope this ends any lingering "one man team" chat. Not one of those players had a bad game, they were excellent to a man.

green day
20-06-2016, 09:22 PM
I'm 38 and remember when we always qualified. Didn't go in 96 or 98 but thought I'll just go to the next one...

Still waiting.

I'm 48, went on many away trips in the 80s and 90s, also went to Italia 90 and France 98.

Both brilliant, great stories, great bevvy, great lads.

Feel a bit sorry for anyone not experiencing it at least once in their lifetime.

MGmick
20-06-2016, 09:23 PM
Scotland were extremely unlucky not to qualify, under vogts and levein we were dire, however under Strahan there was a massive improvement. You couldn't fault Scotland or stachan in the qualifiers other than perhaps settling for a draw against ROI. I'm optimistic with Scotland going forward.

"Could have, would have should have............ DIDNAE" But we've known that for quite a while now. Huge congrats to Wales and well done to them for helping England through on their coatails.

jgl07
20-06-2016, 09:39 PM
I am still supporting Norn Ireland.

Michael O'Neill is a Hibs legend.

pacoluna
21-06-2016, 07:21 AM
"Could have, would have should have............ DIDNAE" But we've known that for quite a while now. Huge congrats to Wales and well done to them for helping England through on their coatails.
Sadly you can only p*ss with the **** you've got, We havn't got a gareth bale, don't care what anyone says he more or less singled handedly got them through the qualifiers, NI had a p*ss easy group. with players like McGinn, Griff and that yam Patterson coming through it's only a matter of time.

DH1875
21-06-2016, 07:57 AM
England finishing below Wales :faf:

Have England not effectively got an easier tie in the next round by finishing 2nd?

Billy Whizz
21-06-2016, 08:02 AM
Who are Wales likely to face in the next round?

Dashing Bob S
21-06-2016, 08:03 AM
Wales showed what a joke Scotland are. With half of our population and far less of a football culture, they embarrass us. It must be 25 years since we produced a player of the stature of Bale, Ramsay or even Allen, FFS.

The Scottish football authorities should have watched that game and resigned on mass.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-06-2016, 08:04 AM
"England are dominant on and off the field." :confused:

England had 30k tickets compared to Slovakia's 8k or you looking for something a bit more sinister to assist in your anti-England viewpoint?

The_Horde
21-06-2016, 08:08 AM
Wales showed what a joke Scotland are. With half of our population and far less of a football culture, they embarrass us. It must be 25 years since we produced a player of the stature of Bale, Ramsay or even Allen, FFS.

The Scottish football authorities should have watched that game and resigned on mass.

Darren Fletcher had a better stature and won more than at 2 of those guys,

Steve20
21-06-2016, 08:11 AM
Sadly you can only p*ss with the **** you've got, We havn't got a gareth bale, don't care what anyone says he more or less singled handedly got them through the qualifiers, NI had a p*ss easy group. with players like McGinn, Griff and that yam Patterson coming through it's only a matter of time.

Scotland wouldn't have got out of N.Ireland's group. Scotland players and Strachan had poor campaigns. Can make all the excuses, but finishing 4th in a 6-team group when one of them is Gibraltar is rubbish. Losing 1-0 away to Georgia is awful (before anyone mentions their win over Spain recently, I refuse to count friendlies as anything important).

pacoluna
21-06-2016, 08:58 AM
Scotland wouldn't have got out of N.Ireland's group. Scotland players and Strachan had poor campaigns. Can make all the excuses, but finishing 4th in a 6-team group when one of them is Gibraltar is rubbish. Losing 1-0 away to Georgia is awful (before anyone mentions their win over Spain recently, I refuse to count friendlies as anything important).
Giving the ovation they received from us after the Gibraltar game, The tartan army disagreed with your opinion on us having a poor campaign and urged strachan to to sign a new contract. Georgia game a side we competed with germany were unlucky not to take 4/6 points from poland and took 4 points from ROI.

pacoluna
21-06-2016, 09:04 AM

People using Wales success to lay into Scotland is pathetic.

SlickShoes
21-06-2016, 09:04 AM

Fletcher was a very good player but he doesn't have anywhere near the impact that bale and ramsay have on Wales. If you were to compare him to anyone in the current Wales team it would be Joe Allen. Allen is a very good player but if it was him alone as the one big player he wouldn't be making much impact.

nellio
21-06-2016, 11:01 AM
Wales will get 3rd place out of either Group A,C or D so could be anyone out of those as they will be decided tonight. Could be NI!

nellio
21-06-2016, 11:04 AM

A big reason why we qualified was because we only conceded 4 goals in 10 games. It wasn't Bale keeping those out!

pacoluna
21-06-2016, 11:31 AM
A big reason why we qualified was because we only conceded 4 goals in 10 games. It wasn't Bale keeping those out!
Bale pulled wales out the sh*tter against andorra

Single handedly got you the crucial goals that got wales out of the group. Take away Bale and wales are honking - yesterday however was a decent performance.

Onion
21-06-2016, 11:35 AM
Bale and Ramsay would get into the Engerlander team. Can't think of any Scots that would come close.

Last night was best Welsh performance I've ever seen. Simply outstanding!

nellio
21-06-2016, 11:45 AM
Bale pulled wales out the sh*tter against andorra

Single handedly got you the crucial goals that got wales out of the group. Take away Bale and wales are honking - yesterday however was a decent performance.

Cant deny that he isn't crucial but its a tea effort.

I actually agree with you regarding Scotland BTW. Thought you had a really tough group last campaign. & like you said I also think you have improved a lot under GS. Hope you qualify for the World Cup, Scotland are my second nation so always watch your games. Been to a few games as well.

Velma Dinkley
21-06-2016, 11:57 AM

The Scottish football authorities should have watched that game and resigned on mass..

To be fair, those players were produced by very wealthy clubs that play in the English leagues.

(((Fergus)))
21-06-2016, 12:41 PM

Bale is a God-given talent, nothing to do with the FAW and even the SFA can't fix that draw by heating the balls, so to speak.

The_Todd
21-06-2016, 12:50 PM
Take away Bale and wales are honking - yesterday however was a decent performance.

This is so true. But only if you take out Allen, Williams and Ramsay as well. I mean, once you take out all of Wales' players they're basically just rubbish.

(((Fergus)))
21-06-2016, 12:52 PM
Bale and Ramsay would get into the Engerlander team. Can't think of any Scots that would come close.

Last night was best Welsh performance I've ever seen. Simply outstanding!

Wales have a massive inferiority complex though, worse than ours (epitomised by that Yorath penalty where he slumps to the ground almost before he took the kick). Although they dominated Russia last night, there were times when they reverted to their age-old "we are Wales, we are cr@p" mindset, failed to keep possession and invited Russia on. I just hope this victory gives them more self-belief in the next game because that is their achilles heel.

Smartie
21-06-2016, 01:02 PM
Wales have a massive inferiority complex though, worse than ours (epitomised by that Yorath penalty where he slumps to the ground almost before he took the kick). Although they dominated Russia last night, there were times when they reverted to their age-old "we are Wales, we are cr@p" mindset, failed to keep possession and invited Russia on. I just hope this victory gives them more self-belief in the next game because that is their achilles heel.

You can't dominate a game for 90 minutes.

They still managed to win 3-0. You can surely forgive them for letting the Russians have the ball at times?

Some of my favourite Hibs performances have been when we've been largely dominated at Ibrox by Rangers but still managed to go up the park and score 3 times after managing to soak up a bit of pressure without conceding.

I don't think a sense of vulnerability is a weakness - I think it is a strength.

They don't look like they lack any self-belief to me.

The_Horde
21-06-2016, 01:02 PM
Fletcher was a very good player but he doesn't have anywhere near the impact that bale and ramsay have on Wales. If you were to compare him to anyone in the current Wales team it would be Joe Allen. Allen is a very good player but if it was him alone as the one big player he wouldn't be making much impact.

Impact wasn't in question though, was it? DBS mentioned stature.

JeMeSouviens
21-06-2016, 01:14 PM

Eh? If they hadn't invited Russia on how would they have had the space to make the killer breaks they did?

Their game plan worked to perfection (much like a certain Scottish Cup final in fact :wink: except that we weren't as incisive and somehow let them score twice so had to resort to plan B).

Posh Swanny
21-06-2016, 01:15 PM
1 shot on target in 95 minutes. That's some real "domination" and "superiority" right there. :aok:

:confused:

I can remember four!

pacoluna
21-06-2016, 01:28 PM
This is so true. But only if you take out Allen, Williams and Ramsay as well. I mean, once you take out all of Wales' players they're basically just rubbish.
I'm sure if you took bale away robson-kanu would more than make up for it with his goals :wink: Bale =wales

for me NI qualification and story is more worthy than Bales sorry *wales.

CallumLaidlaw
21-06-2016, 01:40 PM
I'm sure if you took bale away robson-kanu would more than make up for it with his goals :wink: Bale =wales

for me NI qualification and story is more worthy than Bales sorry *wales.

Take away any clubs best player and they are not going to be as good. Thats a pretty easy fact. But at the end of the day, he's there, and as a Scotsman, I only wish we had our own Gareth Bale that could pull us out of the sh*** when required. We might have beaten Georgia if we did. As others have said tho, Ramsey, Allen and Ledley are all very good players too. All of which would walk into the scotland team.

pacoluna
21-06-2016, 01:57 PM
Take away any clubs best player and they are not going to be as good. Thats a pretty easy fact. But at the end of the day, he's there, and as a Scotsman, I only wish we had our own Gareth Bale that could pull us out of the sh*** when required. We might have beaten Georgia if we did. As others have said tho, Ramsey, Allen and Ledley are all very good players too. All of which would walk into the scotland team.
None of them mentioned were a product of the FAW in fact you will find it difficult to find any player in their current squad who was. compare that to the Scotland squad - i'm not having it's the "SYFA's or Scottish football authorities fault" Scotland have failed recently. SYFA deserve more credit.

CockneyRebel
21-06-2016, 02:12 PM
The wife is telling me to calm down but I nearly put my cup of tea through the telly when the commentators on ITV said if the games finish as they are now, "Wales will win the group FROM England",,,I didn't realise the groups were awarded to teams before all games were played!

England were leading the group before the last round of matches so what he said made sense - your ABE has addled your brain.

marinello59
21-06-2016, 02:16 PM

They still managed to win 3-0. You can surely forgive them for letting the Russians have the ball at times?

Some of my favourite Hibs performances have been when we've been largely dominated at Ibrox by Rangers but still managed to go up the park and score 3 times after managing to soak up a bit of pressure without conceding.

I don't think a sense of vulnerability is a weakness - I think it is a strength.

Spot on. Wales look like a team full of self belief.

The_Todd
21-06-2016, 02:22 PM
None of them mentioned were a product of the FAW in fact you will find it difficult to find any player in their current squad who was. compare that to the Scotland squad - i'm not having it's the "SYFA's or Scottish football authorities fault" Scotland have failed recently. SYFA deserve more credit.

Most of this team came up and played in the Wales youth, U21s etc together which helps explain the team spirit so yes, that is down to the FaW and the managers down the years from Hughes to Toshack to Speed and now Coleman.

Yes, not all are products of Welsh club youth academies, I grant you that. But that's quite hard when Wales only has 4 (yes four) full time pro clubs, only two of which in the top two tiers of the game, and one of them in non-league football. However the likes of Ledley, Allen, Ramsay are the products of either Cardiff or Swansea youth, and apart from Bale happen to be Wales best players so it's not as hard to find home grown talent as you're making out. Given that the pro clubs play in the English league you're comparing apples and pears when comparing setups. Hopefully with the new "Dragon Park" development centre the FaW things might change with youth development though.

pacoluna
21-06-2016, 02:43 PM
Most of this team came up and played in the Wales youth, U21s etc together which helps explain the team spirit so yes, that is down to the FaW and the managers down the years from Hughes to Toshack to Speed and now Coleman.

Yes, not all are products of Welsh club youth academies, I grant you that. But that's quite hard when Wales only has 4 (yes four) full time pro clubs, only two of which in the top two tiers of the game, and one of them in non-league football. However the likes of Ledley, Allen, Ramsay are the products of either Cardiff or Swansea youth, and apart from Bale happen to be Wales best players so it's not as hard to find home grown talent as you're making out. Given that the pro clubs play in the English league you're comparing apples and pears when comparing setups. Hopefully with the new "Dragon Park" development centre the FaW things might change with youth development though.

The welsh league was an administrative ruse, so Wales could continue to have a national team without any questions - admittedly it's improved. When was the last welsh league player to have been capped by wales? if ever? Scotland's set up from youth to professional is second to none, Btw I am only referring to wales as some people seem to be using their success to lay into scotland.

The_Todd
21-06-2016, 03:01 PM
The welsh league was an administrative ruse, so Wales could continue to have a national team without any questions - admittedly it's improved. When was the last welsh league player to have been capped by wales? if ever? Scotland's set up from youth to professional is second to none, Btw I am only referring to wales as some people seem to be using their success to lay into scotland.

Who said anything about the League of Wales? That's just an amateur league on par with the East of Scotland league. No I doubt any player from the LoW has even won a Wales cap.

pacoluna
21-06-2016, 03:15 PM
Who said anything about the League of Wales? That's just an amateur league on par with the East of Scotland league. No I doubt any player from the LoW has even won a Wales cap.

I'm just using it as an example of why I don't think people should use wales success to lay into Scotland and the SFA.

If people are asking why we are not producing players like bale etc it's certainly not the SFA's fault.
Bale and ramsay etc are a product of the English clubs.

Even when discussing youth football scotland is second to none, you will struggle to see a better more successful youth set up in Britain than Hutchinson Vale.

hibsbollah
21-06-2016, 03:29 PM

Teams that fight harder than their opponents usually win their personal battles. Wales seem to have a team spirit that encourages them to fight harder than anyone else. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they do a Denmark 92 or Greece 2004 and win the whole thing.

(((Fergus)))
21-06-2016, 03:56 PM
Seamus Heaney OMG time for five live

J-C
21-06-2016, 04:03 PM
When did the rules change for the kick offs, kicking the ball directly backwards instead of forward first, then back :confused: I just noticed it.

Iain G
21-06-2016, 04:10 PM
Lennon in the studio, hopefully keeping an eye on McGovern and Muller for our assault on the league, Europe and the cups :agree:

Pretty Boy
21-06-2016, 04:11 PM
McGovern playing well thus far.

I never really rated him at Falkirk but he's played well in this tournament.

Haymaker
21-06-2016, 04:13 PM
I'm just using it as an example of why I don't think people should use wales success to lay into Scotland and the SFA.

If people are asking why we are not producing players like bale etc it's certainly not the SFA's fault.
Bale and ramsay etc are a product of the English clubs.

Even when discussing youth football scotland is second to none, you will struggle to see a better more successful youth set up in Britain than Hutchinson Vale.

Senrab boys clubs might claim that title. At one point I think they had 7/8 regular England international's that had started at the before moving to academy football plus plenty others since the 70s.

Iain G
21-06-2016, 04:13 PM
McGovern playing well thus far.

I never really rated him at Falkirk but he's played well in this tournament.

A Logan-esque performance for him so far...

Baader
21-06-2016, 04:22 PM
Seamus Heaney OMG time for five live

Jonathan Pierce referred to Rory McIlroy as Rory McGrath pre kick off!!

(((Fergus)))
21-06-2016, 04:26 PM
When did the rules change for the kick offs, kicking the ball directly backwards instead of forward first, then back :confused: I just noticed it.

Introduced at this tournament. Here's an article on rule changes: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jan/08/kickoffs-backwards-rule-changes

Iain G
21-06-2016, 04:27 PM
Jonathan Pierce referred to Rory McIlroy as Rory McGrath pre kick off!!

Was it not Paul McGrath or Rory Bremner? :greengrin

Keith_M
21-06-2016, 04:28 PM
Come on NI, get stuck intae those dirty, stinking Huns!

:greengrin

J-C
21-06-2016, 04:29 PM
Introduced at this tournament. Here's an article on rule changes: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jan/08/kickoffs-backwards-rule-changes
Ta, good idea for a change

Pretty Boy
21-06-2016, 04:30 PM
No one can say that wasn't coming. This could be a rout.

JimBHibees
21-06-2016, 04:35 PM
No one can say that wasn't coming. This could be a rout.

Yep could be anything Germany different class.

chrisski33
21-06-2016, 04:39 PM
scotland werent good enough to qualify not unlucky! needs to be addressed and acknowledged not by using the old excuse of being unlucky.
just because the tartan army applauded them after the Gilbraltor game doesnt mean our campaign was a good one the so called tartan army were probably pished.

Gordy M
21-06-2016, 04:43 PM
scotland werent good enough to qualify not unlucky! needs to be addressed and acknowledged not by using the old excuse of being unlucky.
just because the tartan army applauded them after the Gilbraltor game doesnt mean our campaign was a good one the so called tartan army were probably pished.

Rubbish...u moved on from slagging hibs at every opportunity to slagging scotland?

chrisski33
21-06-2016, 04:45 PM
Rubbish...u moved on from slagging hibs at every opportunity to slagging scotland?

nope not true just saying scotland werent good enough to qualify

SJM
21-06-2016, 04:51 PM

We aren't as good as Poland and Germany, both qualifying for the next round here.

Swap us groups with loads of countries that have qualified and we would have done similar.

Gordy M
21-06-2016, 04:51 PM

Yep from that group we werent....but the group were in needs to be taken into account, thats why the scotland fans were keen for strachan to stay.

Finn2015
21-06-2016, 04:54 PM

Agree with that. If they were a bit more courageous and without that complex, they would have got something out of the England game

chrisski33
21-06-2016, 04:55 PM
Yep from that group we werent....but the group were in needs to be taken into account, thats why the scotland fans were keen for strachan to stay.

sorry youve lost me what group that we are in are you talking about? the world cup qualifiers?

Holmesdale Hibs
21-06-2016, 04:57 PM
I thought we played well (without being brilliant) for most of the qualifiers except for Georgia away. Hard to argue with "we weren't good enough" but I still see saw some improvement under Strachan and maybe if we had played that way with an easier group then we might have made it.

It's hard work seeing all the other home nations playing and I'd be enjoying the tournament so much more if we were there.

SJM
21-06-2016, 04:58 PM
sorry youve lost me what group that we are in are you talking about? the world cup qualifiers?

The group that consisted of Germany and Poland with Ireland in comparison with some of the **** groups like the ones Northern Ireland and Wales qualified from.

Finn2015
21-06-2016, 04:59 PM
I'm a season ticket holder with the Republic of Ireland and tbh, I don't think there is much difference between us and Scotland and in the head to heads of course, Scotland actually got the better. I don't think Scotland are a million miles away from qualifying for a major tournament

Gordy M
21-06-2016, 05:00 PM

??No the qualifiers for euro 2016, the group with germany poland roi etc. Was the toughest group and we played well in the most part...hence the fans reaction.

Pete
21-06-2016, 05:01 PM
Anyway...These current games are quite hard work.

It's a bit weird that Ukraine could win heavily, finish with a better goal difference than N Ire and most of the other third place teams yet they'll still miss out.

Pretty Boy
21-06-2016, 05:08 PM
McGovern has earned a few pints in Belfast with this performance. Another brilliant save.

HibbyAndy
21-06-2016, 05:11 PM
Anyway...These current games are quite hard work.

It's a bit weird that Ukraine could win heavily, finish with a better goal difference than N Ire and most of the other third place teams yet they'll still miss out.

Thats bizzare Pete, How would they miss oot like ?

Hibernia&Alba
21-06-2016, 05:13 PM
I'm a season ticket holder with the Republic of Ireland and tbh, I don't think there is much difference between us and Scotland and in the head to heads of course, Scotland actually got the better. I don't think Scotland are a million miles away from qualifying for a major tournament

France is only a few hundred miles away and we couldnae get there :greengrin

Pretty Boy

Head to head comes before goal difference so they'd finish below Northern Ireland in 4th place.

Mr White

Head to head. NI beat them.

HibbyAndy
21-06-2016, 05:14 PM
Head to head comes before goal difference so they'd finish below Northern Ireland in 4th place.

:aok:

MWHIBBIES
21-06-2016, 05:14 PM
1-0 Poland, cracker from Blaszczykowski

Pete
21-06-2016, 05:15 PM

If they both finish on three points its head to head first which means N Ire finish third regardless of goal difference.

They might end up with a better record than most of the other lucky third place teams.

Edit: a bit irrelevant now as they are losing :-)

Pretty Boy
21-06-2016, 05:15 PM
Save again. Hope Lennons watching although his performances this tournament may have bumped him out of our price range.

HibbyAndy
21-06-2016, 05:19 PM
Save again. Hope Lennons watching although his performances this tournament may have bumped him out of our price range.

The fact he is a free agent won't have gone unnoticed i'm afraid, Half decent signing on fee winging his way.

Finn2015
21-06-2016, 05:22 PM

😄👍

Iain G
21-06-2016, 05:39 PM

We could host the damned thing and still manage to not qualify :wink::greengrin

(((Fergus)))
21-06-2016, 05:51 PM
With all due respect, you wouldn't want to shake hands with Yogi Loew.

Pete
21-06-2016, 05:52 PM
Hummels said he wanted Will Griggs' shirt after the match.

Mr White
21-06-2016, 05:53 PM
With all due respect, you wouldn't want to shake hands with Yogi Loew.

Not without gloves on.

JohnMcM
21-06-2016, 06:23 PM
Those NIR fans were magnificent today.

Pretty Boy
21-06-2016, 07:00 PM
Those NIR fans were magnificent today.

Singing the Dambusters tune to the Germans was particularly classy I thought.......

Anyway can see it kicking off tonight if things aren't going Croatias way, even if they are it still could tbh.

Mr White
21-06-2016, 07:02 PM
Draw or win (by less than 4) for Turkey v Czech Republic and NI progress I think?

Mr White
21-06-2016, 07:04 PM
Singing the Dambusters tune to the Germans was particularly classy I thought.......

Anyway can see it kicking off tonight if things aren't going Croatias way, even if they are it still could tbh.

A lot of the NI flags for the tournament commemorate the centenary of the Somme. There's one hanging up outside my neighbours door as it happens. I doubt that was the only war reference that was heard today in the stadium sadly. Otherwise they've done the country proud imo.

(((Fergus)))
21-06-2016, 07:07 PM
That moment when you wake up drunk in a chair and find you've spewed up your paella down the front of your shirt.

Mon Dieu4
21-06-2016, 07:07 PM
Brilliant by Spain again

Mr White
21-06-2016, 07:08 PM
Fantastic goal for spain

Pretty Boy
21-06-2016, 07:09 PM
A lot of the NI flags for the tournament commemorate the centenary of the Somme. There's one hanging up outside my neighbours door as it happens. I doubt that was the only war reference that was heard today in the stadium sadly. Otherwise they've done the country proud imo.

That have been fantastic no doubt but that wasn't great today.

In fairness with regards the Battle of the Somme stuff it is coming up to the centenary and the UVF (as the 36th Ulster Division) did play a huge part, and suffered huge losses, in that battle.

Oh 1-0 Spain.

Pretty Boy
21-06-2016, 07:10 PM
1-0 Turkey :aok:

Hamish
21-06-2016, 07:11 PM
1-0 Turkey :aok:

They win worst strip so far as well.

Mr White
21-06-2016, 07:13 PM
That have been fantastic no doubt but that wasn't great today.

In fairness with regards the Battle of the Somme stuff it is coming up to the centenary and the UVF (as the 36th Ulster Division) did play a huge part, and suffered huge losses, in that battle.

Oh 1-0 Spain.

Yes I don't have to walk far to be reminded of that in the glorious medium of gable end art :greengrin

That turkey goal could be huge for NI.

Mon Dieu4
21-06-2016, 07:16 PM
Unlucky by Croatia there, we might get a replay of it sometime this year

Pretty Boy
21-06-2016, 07:16 PM
Yes I don't have to walk far to be reminded of that in the glorious medium of gable end art :greengrin

That turkey goal could be huge for NI.

:tee hee:

One Day Soon
21-06-2016, 07:37 PM
Unlucky by Croatia there, we might get a replay of it sometime this year

Quite.

hibee_girl
21-06-2016, 07:45 PM
Croatia equalise

Mon Dieu4
21-06-2016, 07:46 PM
Croatia are doing really well here, great finish, Spain will need to go up a gear now, they've been holding back so far imo

hibsbollah
21-06-2016, 07:52 PM
C'mon Spain. Put these pricks to the sword.

Mr White
21-06-2016, 08:02 PM
The hand of god documentary eh? That's going to be worth watching for a chuckle :hilarious

leither17
21-06-2016, 08:03 PM
The hand of god documentary eh? That's going to be worth watching for a chuckle :hilarious

Butcher talking about just being over it. I will never get over him in our dug out

The_Todd
21-06-2016, 08:05 PM
Better that than the hand of Joe Jordan :grr:

MWHIBBIES
21-06-2016, 08:09 PM
Horrible 3 way clash of heads in the Turkey game, blood everywhere.

Mr White
21-06-2016, 08:22 PM
2 nil to turkey.

Pretty Boy
21-06-2016, 08:27 PM
That's soft.

Hanny
21-06-2016, 08:28 PM
Pish penalty

Pretty Boy
21-06-2016, 08:28 PM
What a terrible penalty.

Keeper about 4 yards off his line though, why is that official there??? Most pointless 'innovation' ever.

Mon Dieu4
21-06-2016, 08:29 PM
What's the point in all these officials if the keeper is yards off the line when a penalty is taken?

Was never a penalty anyway so justice done but that part does my head in

Scouse Hibee
21-06-2016, 08:29 PM
Never a pen for me, keeper so far off his line was ridiculous

blackpoolhibs
21-06-2016, 08:30 PM
That's soft.

There's wee purple pills to sort that now. :wink:

Pretty Boy
21-06-2016, 08:33 PM
There's wee purple pills to sort that now. :wink:

hibsbollah
21-06-2016, 08:41 PM
Norn through. Quite an achievement.

hibee_girl
21-06-2016, 08:44 PM
Croatia score, is that them top of the group now?

Scouse Hibee
21-06-2016, 08:44 PM
Yaas get in, keeper awful there

Mon Dieu4
21-06-2016, 08:45 PM
Well done Croatia, bar a mad 10 mins against the Czechs them and Spain have looked the best so far

renato
Great. Now we get Spain...

Pretty Boy
Poor goalkeeping by De Gea. Takes a wee Nick but his positioning and feet are all wrong.

Croatia look a good side.

MWHIBBIES
21-06-2016, 08:46 PM
What is Oxley doing there? Shocking...get it sorted Lennon.

hibsbollah
21-06-2016, 08:47 PM
Argh. C'mon tae **** Spain.

Pretty Boy
21-06-2016, 08:47 PM
Great. Now we get Spain...

I'd fancy Italy to beat this Spain team. They have huffed and puffed all night against a well organised Croatian unit, Italy are even better at that than Croatia have been. Might even be my 2nd bet of the tournament.

hibsbollah
21-06-2016, 08:48 PM
What is Oxley doing there? Shocking...get it sorted Lennon.

Makalambay would have saved that. We always get rid of keepers too early.

renato
21-06-2016, 08:51 PM
I'd fancy Italy to beat this Spain team. They have huffed and puffed all night against a well organised Croatian unit, Italy are even better at that than Croatia have been. Might even be my 2nd bet of the tournament.

Hope so PB. Spain are the one team I'm not confident of beating, they seem to have the game plan nailed against us recently, although I'd agree this time round we stand a better chance given we have Conte.

If we get through this tie, I'd fancy us against Germany, France or England..

MWHIBBIES
21-06-2016, 08:51 PM
Makalambay would have saved that. We always get rid of keepers too early.Hibs? Spain? HibsSpain? :greengrin

Pretty Boy
21-06-2016, 08:53 PM
Hibs? Spain? HibsSpain? :greengrin

:tsk tsk:

hibsbollah
21-06-2016, 08:54 PM
The likelihood after tonight's games is I get 50000 Polish and Croatian fans converging around my Marseille hotel at the end of the month :rolleyes:

SteveHFC
21-06-2016, 08:55 PM
Good chance we could have 1 smaller ranked team in the final. :thumbsup:

Brightside
21-06-2016, 08:56 PM
Thats the old Spain showing there...letting Ramos take the penalty. Its shabby. Can't imagine they will do that on the knock outs. Well done NI getting through tho.

hibsbollah
21-06-2016, 08:56 PM
Hibs? Spain? HibsSpain? :greengrin

I blame Gordon Marshall. Colin Nish off sides again.

Remind me, did we really win the Scottish Cup?

Jonnyboy
21-06-2016, 08:59 PM
What a terrible penalty.

Keeper about 4 yards off his line though, why is that official there??? Most pointless 'innovation' ever.

Indeed. Put that together with Guy Mowbray giggling like a schoolkid that the keeper had gotten away with it. Had the pen been for England and that happened .....

Also, Hoddle saying 'Not one of Cesc's best games tonight" as the caption came up showing a 93% pass rate :blah:

Craig_in_Prague
21-06-2016, 08:59 PM
Dont understand why Italy play Spain, or how its already confirmed (1st v 2nd) Never looked close at the format, load of nonsense this tournament with 24 then going to 16 in knock out.

leither17
21-06-2016, 09:05 PM
8/1 Croatia looks tempting

Michael
21-06-2016, 09:14 PM
Dont understand why Italy play Spain, or how its already confirmed (1st v 2nd) Never looked close at the format, load of nonsense this tournament with 24 then going to 16 in knock out.

I like the new format. It's a bit unusual because more teams progress from the group stage than get knocked out, but there's always something to play for in the final group games.

lugz
21-06-2016, 09:15 PM

Especially when you see their half of the draw. Belgium, Wales and potentially Portugal.

Craig_in_Prague
21-06-2016, 09:23 PM
I like the new format. It's a bit unusual because more teams progress from the group stage than get knocked out, but there's always something to play for in the final group games.

Fair enough.

Personally don't think sporting success should be possible with 2 or 3 points from 3 matches, but I can see the positives for the so called smaller nations.

leither17
21-06-2016, 09:33 PM
Especially when you see their half of the draw. Belgium, Wales and potentially Portugal.

Into 7's already from full time

Deansy
21-06-2016, 09:36 PM
Bale is a God-given talent, nothing to do with the FAW and even the SFA can't fix that draw by heating the balls, so to speak.

Even if Bale was Scottish, it would probably still be the case he'd have to play for RanTic before being considered for Scotland !!

Dav1986
21-06-2016, 09:37 PM
Took Wales each way at 40s for a bit banter. Looks like playing Belgium in 1/4s but got a chance. Think Croatia will do it though. Looked good over 3 games.

PatHead
21-06-2016, 10:38 PM
Son and his pals bought tickets for 1/4 tie before the tournament began. Turns out he will see Italy v Spain on Monday in Paris.

Lucky git.

Didn't even get his dad one!

Wonder what they would go for on black market? Might cover his (dad's) trip to Copenhagen/Iceland. :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
21-06-2016, 10:39 PM
Fair enough.

Personally don't think sporting success should be possible with 2 or 3 points from 3 matches, but I can see the positives for the so called smaller nations.

I think it's pish as well - it's encouraged a lot of sitting in and holding on for a point type performances.

They could have had 6 groups of 4 with the top 2 going through into the next round of 4 groups of 3 with the winners of each group going into the semis.

CapitalGreen
21-06-2016, 10:44 PM

I put 20 on at 23/2 when they were 2-0 against the Czechs. Went even higher to around 30/1 after their collapse.

silverhibee
21-06-2016, 10:46 PM
Hope so PB. Spain are the one team I'm not confident of beating, they seem to have the game plan nailed against us recently, although I'd agree this time round we stand a better chance given we have Conte.

If we get through this tie, I'd fancy us against Germany, France or England..

My money is on Italy to win the Euros.

Mon Dieu4
22-06-2016, 04:12 PM
11 minutes in and I can't handle any more of Keowns absolute negative pish, mute

hibee_girl
22-06-2016, 04:25 PM
Hungary 1-0 Portugal

Iceland 1 - 0 Austria

As it stands England will play Iceland and Portugal will be 3rd with 2 points.

Pretty Boy
22-06-2016, 04:26 PM
Good on Iceland.

Given the performances of both their youth teams and 1st XI in the last 3-5 years they are obviously doing something right.

Scorrie
22-06-2016, 04:27 PM
Hungary 1-0 Portugal

Iceland 1 - 0 Austria

As it stands England will play Iceland and Portugal will be 3rd with 2 points.

Spawny England again!

Pretty Boy
22-06-2016, 04:28 PM
Ronaldo just hit the target with a free kick. Ring the church bells!

Pretty Boy
22-06-2016, 04:35 PM
Normal service resumed. He wouldn't look as daft if it wasn't for the ridiculous build up every single time.

Mr White
22-06-2016, 04:37 PM
Definite penalty, poor kick though.

Mon Dieu4
22-06-2016, 04:41 PM
Feel sorry for Ronaldo, he's doing everything in his power to score goals unlike the second best player in the world Messi who is fluking goals from 25 yards and setting records, poor guy

hibee_girl
22-06-2016, 04:42 PM
Portugal equalise

Pretty Boy
22-06-2016, 04:43 PM
Some pass by Ronaldo.

Mon Dieu4
22-06-2016, 04:43 PM
Some pass by Ronaldo.

Was probably a shot

hibee_girl
22-06-2016, 05:03 PM
Hungary score from free kick in 46th minute

Mon Dieu4
22-06-2016, 05:04 PM
2-1 Hungary

Pretty Boy
22-06-2016, 05:06 PM
Oooft some goal by Ronaldo

hibee_girl
Ronaldo scores, 2-2!

My boy is supporting Portugal this year so happy for him at least! :greengrin

Mon Dieu4
It's only taken him 50 shots to get one, well done Cristiano, cheeky goal though

22-06-2016, 05:07 PM
cheeky wee back heel from Ronaldo!

Mon Dieu4
Ronaldo scores, 2-2!

My boy is supporting Portugal this year so happy for him at least! :greengrin

Scary thing is that even though I don't like Ronaldo much I actually really like Portugal and want them to do well

Mr Grieves
Quality goal, I'm in Portugal and the locals are going mental

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hibsbollah
22-06-2016, 05:08 PM
Feel sorry for Ronaldo, he's doing everything in his power to score goals unlike the second best player in the world Messi who is fluking goals from 25 yards and setting records, poor guy

Say what you really think :greengrin

Mon Dieu4
22-06-2016, 05:09 PM
Say what you really think :greengrin

He's a mortal compared to Figo or Rui Costa

Pretty Boy
22-06-2016, 05:10 PM

Or Nuno Gomes. Gomes had far better hair anyway.

hibee_girl
22-06-2016, 05:11 PM
3-2 Hungary!

What a game this is :greengrin

Pretty Boy
Go on Hungary.

Not a bad game this.

Mon Dieu4
This is mental haha

Mr Grieves
What a game!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hibee_girl
Scary thing is that even though I don't like Ronaldo much I actually really like Portugal and want them to do well

I like Portugal too, it's somewhere we spend a lot of time so I'd like to see them do well :agree:

Baader
22-06-2016, 05:16 PM
Game of the tournament so far for me

Mr White
22-06-2016, 05:17 PM
Equaliser for Austria.

Mon Dieu4
22-06-2016, 05:18 PM
Or Nuno Gomes. Gomes had far better hair anyway.

Indeed, the jet black locks of a superstar, none of this thin shaved sideburn nonsense

Game of the tournament so far for me

agreed!

hibee_girl
3-3

Ronaldo again!

Haymaker
****ing have that.

Mon Dieu4
This game could end up pretty much anything

Pretty Boy
Ronaldo again. 3-3

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

3-3!!!!

Pretty Boy
22-06-2016, 05:20 PM
Jeezo should be 4-3 Hungary.

Defending is Sunday league stuff.

Mon Dieu4
22-06-2016, 05:20 PM
Hopefully it stays like this then the guy I love to slate can put England out, yes I'm petty and fickle!!

cabbageandribs1875
22-06-2016, 05:21 PM
missed all six goals(sigh) anyway...Mon the Magyars

Haymaker
22-06-2016, 05:22 PM
This game is AWESOME

Thecat23
22-06-2016, 05:22 PM
Finally a game worth watching! Incredible stuff this. Should be 4-3 it's just end to end!

Mon Dieu4
22-06-2016, 05:34 PM
Haha that woman's face was class that thought Quaresma's shot was about to hit her

hibsbollah
22-06-2016, 05:38 PM
...or Quaresma.

Pete
22-06-2016, 05:39 PM
You just know England are going to come up smelling of roses and get Iceland.

Bit off when Italys reward For Winning A group is also a second place team...but a decent one.

stantonhibby
22-06-2016, 05:41 PM

Bit off when Italys reward For Winning A group is also a second place team...but a decent one.

Will play Portugal as it stands

Pete
22-06-2016, 05:41 PM
Will play Portugal as it stands

That's good.

stantonhibby
22-06-2016, 05:43 PM
That's good.

Agree... . although a more open game may actually suit England

(((Fergus)))
22-06-2016, 05:50 PM
Hopefully it stays like this then the guy I love to slate can put England out, yes I'm petty and fickle!!

Portugal settling for an easy tie in the next round.

Pete
22-06-2016, 05:50 PM
Goal Iceland

Does that mean they play England now?

Jim44
22-06-2016, 05:51 PM
England get a reprieve.

Mon Dieu4
England are lucky

JohnM1875

You called it!

cabbageandribs1875
22-06-2016, 05:52 PM
Austria hit with the sucker punch, Iceland v engerlund now

Mr White
Fantastic achievement by Iceland!

hibee_girl
England are lucky

It'll just make it funnier when Iceland knock them out!

Mon Dieu4
22-06-2016, 05:53 PM
Fantastic achievement by Iceland!

Absolutely brilliant by them

hibee_girl
Are Portugal still through though?

(((Fergus)))
Ooft - haha

Finn2015
England are jammy bar stewards

Billy Whizz
22-06-2016, 05:54 PM
England are lucky

In what respect

JohnMcM
22-06-2016, 05:57 PM
Is it just me?

The Portugal game has just finished less than two minutes ago and Linneker and co are already talking about England and their next game.

I hope Iceland stuff them. If they don't, I hope Tesco or Lidl stuff them.

Mon Dieu4
22-06-2016, 05:57 PM
In what respect

That I'm sure they would rather being playing Iceland rather than Portugal

Billy Whizz
22-06-2016, 05:58 PM
That I'm sure they would rather being playing Iceland rather than Portugal

Probably, but think Iceland are better than Portugal

Will be very pleasing when Iceland whip them

Pete
22-06-2016, 06:02 PM
Still quite complicated as to who's playing who in the next round.

You need one of these wall charts to have any chance of understanding.

Albanian Hibs
22-06-2016, 06:03 PM
Albania out 😣

Pretty Boy
22-06-2016, 06:09 PM
I'm not sure England are that lucky. Iceland have surely proven they are no mugs and England have hardly set the heather on fire.

Certainly winnable but a tricky one.

MWHIBBIES
22-06-2016, 06:13 PM
Wasn't there someone on here who put money on Austria winning it? :greengrin

Treadstone
22-06-2016, 06:14 PM
I'm not sure England are that lucky. Iceland have surely proven they are no mugs and England have hardly set the heather on fire.

Certainly winnable but a tricky one.

I'd make England 2/5 to win that in the 90 minutes. Anything better and i will mortgage the hoose.

hibsbollah
22-06-2016, 06:19 PM
Herman Hriederson has just been on five live to talk about Iceland and there's no doubt in my mind he's had at least seven pints.

Billy Whizz
22-06-2016, 06:22 PM
Herman Hriederson has just been on five live to talk about Iceland and there's no doubt in my mind he's had at least seven pints.

Did he play for Iceland today😄

hibsbollah
22-06-2016, 06:30 PM
Total disrespect for Iceland from Lawro and the other tits on five live. I would love it if ice land sneaked a 1-0.

(((Fergus)))
22-06-2016, 07:19 PM
See the Iceland bench going mental at full time. Obviously relieved to avoid Germany or Croatia in the next round but a bit disrespectful to our southern neighbours.

hibsbollah
22-06-2016, 07:40 PM
See the Iceland bench going mental at full time. Obviously relieved to avoid Germany or Croatia in the next round but a bit disrespectful to our southern neighbours.

James McLean playing well for Ireland. Hoping Ibra turns up tonight for the Swedes, I have them at 100/1.

hibsbollah
22-06-2016, 07:45 PM
That's a clear pen. Terrible decision.

Mr White
22-06-2016, 07:45 PM
That's a clear pen. Terrible decision.

Totally.

Scouse Hibee
22-06-2016, 07:46 PM
FFS this ref is blind or bent.

Pretty Boy
Ireland playing well here.

Kavinho
Some fairly typical Italian defending..

Mon Dieu4
22-06-2016, 07:47 PM
Stokes would have scored, they only have themselves to blame

Jonnyboy
22-06-2016, 07:49 PM
FFS this ref is blind or bent.

Agreed. A clearer penalty you will not see

Betty Boop
22-06-2016, 07:51 PM
The Italian manager :love ya!:

Golden Bear
22-06-2016, 07:57 PM
The pitch looks no better than a cabbage patch. It's simply not good enough for a Championship of this magnitude.

renato
22-06-2016, 08:01 PM
Italy lucky to escape without conceding a penalty there, although Ireland lucky not to get a few bookings in the first 10 mins with those over aggressive tackles.

Poor game, Italy not interested / adapted to the pitch whilst Ireland look positive but a bit limited.

Dunbar Hibee
22-06-2016, 08:06 PM
Ireland have been much the better team.

jacomo
22-06-2016, 08:34 PM
Wasn't there someone on here who put money on Austria winning it? :greengrin

Ah, the hipsters choice. Bombed.

Pretty Boy
22-06-2016, 08:34 PM
Insigne is a lovely wee player to watch.

jacomo
22-06-2016, 08:36 PM
Italy lucky to escape without conceding a penalty there, although Ireland lucky not to get a few bookings in the first 10 mins with those over aggressive tackles.

Poor game, Italy not interested / adapted to the pitch whilst Ireland look positive but a bit limited.

ROI are rubbish.

Scotland would have done better.

wpj
22-06-2016, 08:37 PM
Would Stokes have been a good choice for Ireland? Big game player

Finn2015
22-06-2016, 08:39 PM
Not enough up front tbh. Never really threatened

hibee_girl
22-06-2016, 08:41 PM
Would Stokes have been a good choice for Ireland? Big game player

He'd have scored that last chance!

hibee_girl
Ireland score!

Finn2015
Yasssssssssssssssssssss

Pretty Boy
Brady has Hibsed it after Hoolahan Hunsed it.

1-0 Ireland

Mr White
22-06-2016, 08:42 PM
Get in :thumbsup:

(((Fergus)))
22-06-2016, 08:44 PM
Ya ****ing beauty!! What was that goalie going though....

col02
Ireland are a bunch of hammer throwers. Hope they get pumped next round!

Dunbar Hibee
ROI are rubbish.

Scotland would have done better.

Hahaha can only hope you're joking.

MWHIBBIES
Ireland are a bunch of hammer throwers. Hope they get pumped next round!They will, playing France.

Billy Whizz
22-06-2016, 08:45 PM

Who do they go through at the expense of?

Scottie
22-06-2016, 08:45 PM
Come on the boys in green :wink:

col02
22-06-2016, 08:46 PM
Who do they go through at the expense of?

Don't know and I don't care tbh as this third place pish has devalued the tournament thus far imho.

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-06-2016, 08:46 PM
Looks like all 3 teams that came out of Scotlands group will be in the last 16, cannae be arsed checking if thats happened in any other of the qualifying groups.

Pretty Boy
22-06-2016, 08:47 PM
Ireland aren't great but are playing to their strengths.

If they tried to match up to Italy, Sweden etc football wise then they would get humped. I don't particularly like it but I don't blame them either.

KWJ
22-06-2016, 08:48 PM
Wales v Northern Ireland in the first knockout round of the European Championships.

WTF!?

Dunbar Hibee
22-06-2016, 08:48 PM
Ireland aren't great but are playing to their strengths.

If they tried to match up to Italy, Sweden etc football wise then they would get humped. I don't particularly like it but I don't blame them either.

They've been brilliant tonight IMO. Thoroughly deserved.