PDA

View Full Version : NHC Euro Championships 2016

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13

MWHIBBIES
29-06-2016, 11:33 AM
He was probably too busy writing the resignation speech he read out immediately after the game! That's a real winner's mindset.

Looks like Southgate now, which guarantees more mediocrity. If I were them, I would look for someone a bit dodgy, who knows how to mind-game opponents and get the most out of average players, e.g., Allardyce. Thankfully, he is too pleb-like for the FA to consider. They really are mugs. Even a lovely old gent like Roy Hodgson managed to sting them for millions.The kinda guy who got Fulham to a Europa league final perhaps?

I think the anti-Hodgson circle jerk is a bit strong here, the guy has been a very good club manager for years, he has struggled in both his bigger jobs but he achieved amazing things with smaller clubs.

I understand the whole ''only as good as your last game'' line but I think the guy deserves a little more respect than he has been getting in the press and on social media.

JimBHibees
29-06-2016, 11:38 AM
I don't mind having a go at England but it was made pretty clear the Joe Hart discussion was hypothetical.

I think they would have been better hypothetically discussing how they were going to win the game from a losing position.

blackpoolhibs
29-06-2016, 11:39 AM
The kinda guy who got Fulham to a Europa league final perhaps?

I think the anti-Hodgson circle jerk is a bit strong here, the guy has been a very good club manager for years, he has struggled in both his bigger jobs but he achieved amazing things with smaller clubs.

I understand the whole ''only as good as your last game'' line but I think the guy deserves a little more respect than he has been getting in the press and on social media.

:agree: And doing well with a smallish club like Fulham and of course Switzerland when managing them, should have stood him in good stead for managing another minnow.

Onion
29-06-2016, 12:15 PM
In my opinion, 1966 is the MAIN cause of England's woes. They won then due to a mixture of luck, ensuring all their games were at Wembley and a fairly good team - all-in-all, a one-off never to be repeated. Unfortunately, for the majority of English fans/players/managers/media etc, it led to the belief that for evermore, they would be 'up there with the big boys' (Germany, Brazil, Italy etc) - when in reality, they aren't and it's very unlikely they ever will be. No matter, come Russia 2018, last night will be long-forgotten and once more, both BBC/ITV panels will be wittering on about actually winning it !!

This. Funny thing is, they've had squads in the past which have been good enough on paper to win the Euros and probably the WC, but the weight of expectation and ridiculous scrutiny by the media has proved too much for them. Until they gain more respect for other teams (like Iceland), and an ounce of humility, England will continue to flop at tournaments in the most hilarious ways.

Gatecrasher
29-06-2016, 12:22 PM
I think they would have been better hypothetically discussing how they were going to win the game from a losing position.

Theres nothing wrong with saying if we go through would you still play him in the next game? especially when considering he had just had another clanger. discussions like that are almost constant on here and around the country about players when the season is in full swing. Like I said I like a go as much as anyone but there was nothing wrong there IMO.

(((Fergus)))
29-06-2016, 02:27 PM

Yeah, that would have been great. Instead they got the man who crashed and burned at Liverpool.

jacomo
29-06-2016, 03:06 PM

Hodgson has achieved a lot in the game. It would be ridiculous to deny that. He seems like a genuine guy too.

But why, after four years in charge, did his team turn up at Euro 2016 without a settled formation or team, with Rooney playing in a totally unfamiliar position, and crumble so alarmingly against Iceland?

He's got to carry the can for that, surely?

MWHIBBIES
29-06-2016, 03:39 PM
Hodgson has achieved a lot in the game. It would be ridiculous to deny that. He seems like a genuine guy too.

But why, after four years in charge, did his team turn up at Euro 2016 without a settled formation or team, with Rooney playing in a totally unfamiliar position, and crumble so alarmingly against Iceland?

He's got to carry the can for that, surely?Absolutely. He isn't ''clueless'' like some people have been saying, though. Wrong guy, wrong job, move on.

Rooney isn't totally unfamiliar in midfield btw, played plenty of times for United. He actually wasn't THAT bad either.

twiceinathens
29-06-2016, 03:54 PM
England are a very decent side, currently ranked 11th in FIFA world rankings(6th in Europe) and averaging 10th over the years since the system was introduced in 1993. However they are not at a level to be ranked with the top half dozen or so sides despite what they consistently believe.

ekhibee
29-06-2016, 04:09 PM
something else that Shearer touched on, that I think is relevant to the Scotland team as well as the English one- pick players that are on current form, not just out of blind loyalty. I think the national manager should be a bit more ruthless than they often are. In Scotland, managers like Brown and Roxburgh nearly always picked old firm players ahead of better quality players from other teams IMO, but on saying that Scotland were still qualifying for tournaments then.

Smartie
29-06-2016, 04:16 PM
something else that Shearer touched on, that I think is relevant to the Scotland team as well as the English one- pick players that are on current form, not just out of blind loyalty. I think the national manager should be a bit more ruthless than they often are. In Scotland, managers like Brown and Roxburgh nearly always picked old firm players ahead of better quality players from other teams IMO, but on saying that Scotland were still qualifying for tournaments then.

Totally agree.

Leicester were flying last year and their players will have been bursting with confidence. Vardy would have been the first name on my team sheet. Drinkwater was the best English midfielder in the second half of the season and knows how to link up with Vardy. Even Danny Simpson - part of a rock-solid defence that gave nothing away in the league - would he have lost his man the way Walker did for the diabolical first Iceland goal.

Form, confidence and suitability for a particular role count for an awful lot and Hodgson seemed to dismiss them all in favour of reputation.

I don't normally like to blame managers, I think the blame normally lies elsewhere but all of the shortcomings could be laid at his door. There was no shortage of talent or form that he had at his disposal yet he got nowhere near utilising it. That performance was as bad as England will probably ever put in.

emerald green
29-06-2016, 06:48 PM
You were the one who brought up matches from 40 years ago and the behaviour of Scottish fans at that time, then saying we shouldn't be slagging English fans because of this. This is tarring today's fans with the same brush, so how is that not relevant. The fact that few of today's fans were around is totally relevant. It's equivalent to blaming the Germany of today for WWII...and why even mention ugly sister fans when talking about Scottish fans? If this isn't a comparison, then you've completely lost me

Again I repeat "I wasn't comparing the behaviour of individual clubs' supporters with those of the national team."

I'm not blaming anyone for anything. That's not my point.

Why even mention The Rangers & Celtic supporters ("ugly sisters") when talking about Scottish fans you ask. Simply because they are Scottish, most of them anyway as far as I'm aware, and they are supporters of Scottish clubs.

Time for me to call it a day on this one I think Jack. I didn't think the point I was making was such a big deal anyway. But hey ho there you go.

Mr White
29-06-2016, 06:54 PM
Given the current rankings, it was a bigger shock when Iceland beat Austria no?

Flynn
30-06-2016, 12:42 AM
Haven't seen this on the thread so...(from Twitter):

A shot through Joe Hart and he's to blame
He gives gloves a bad name

The problem with England is the fact they boast about the most, that they have the richest league in the world. You can either be the richest or have a good national team. You can't have both.

IrnBru22
30-06-2016, 04:43 AM
Just seen the clip of Lineker, Shearer and Ferdinand going mental when Portugal scored that late equaliser to ensure England had the easier route to the final by playing Iceland, absolutely hysterical.

Link?

hibsbollah
30-06-2016, 05:50 AM
Im in Marseille with the family, which is filling up with Polish and Portuguese fans for tonight's quarter final. Got speaking to some Poles from north Edinburgh, been drinking vodka all day and all look like special forces bodyguards but managed to be a credit to their adopted country and a good laugh at the same time :aok: nastrovya :cheers:

hibee_girl
30-06-2016, 07:04 PM
Portugal trailing Poland in the 1st minute

Mon Dieu4
30-06-2016, 07:04 PM
Well worked goal, mon Poland

hibsbollah
30-06-2016, 07:30 PM
I like Grosicki a lot, apparently on his way to Everton?

hibee_girl
30-06-2016, 07:35 PM
1-1

hibsbollah
30-06-2016, 07:36 PM

Jim44
30-06-2016, 08:52 PM
Boring negative crap.

HibbyAndy
30-06-2016, 08:54 PM
Poland being playing for a draw since they scored, Hope they get ****ed !

Jim44
30-06-2016, 08:57 PM
Poland being playing for a draw since they scored, Hope they get ****ed !

Portugal will now win it by 2 goals.

jdships
30-06-2016, 09:04 PM
Boring negative crap.

:agree:
I have given up at 90 minutes : can't take another 30 of that " Borefest" !!

hfc rd
30-06-2016, 09:15 PM
The way both teams are playing since they both scored, it looks as if they don't want to this game and want it to be settled by penalties!

Finn2015
30-06-2016, 09:26 PM
Just another example of the affliction of modern football. Overhyped and teams scared to lose so negate each other. Boring

Jim44
30-06-2016, 09:27 PM
It's like watching Ayr United v Brechin City, but not quite so exciting.

Pete
30-06-2016, 09:29 PM
That young Polish boy who looks like Djokovic has played well, as have Pepe and William Carvalho.

Jim44
30-06-2016, 09:30 PM
I hope that once it gets to 20-20 on penalties, both teams are eliminated from the competition.

HibbyAndy
30-06-2016, 09:36 PM
That young Polish boy who looks like Djokovic has played well, as have Pepe and William Carvalho.

He does eh :tee hee:

Pete
30-06-2016, 09:39 PM
The takers look petrified...but they're all scoring

Finn2015
30-06-2016, 09:44 PM
Portugal eek through again. They don't look like a team that will win it yet here they are.

Jim44
30-06-2016, 09:46 PM
I'm beginning to detest Ronaldo. It's only about him and he couldn't even stand with his team-mates at the penalty shoot-out.

HibbyAndy
30-06-2016, 09:47 PM
Better team on the night through.

Poland had the chance to go for it as Portugal are average but they chose to sit tight and i HATE teams that have no ambition so nae luck Polska!

Onion
30-06-2016, 09:52 PM
Just another example of the affliction of modern football. Overhyped and teams scared to lose so negate each other. Boring

Which puts our cup win firmly into context. Great game, No 28 on fire, great goals, exciting moments, both teams going for it, fantastic finish, bedlam on the terraces. Cost £35 a ticket.

Onion
30-06-2016, 09:55 PM
I'm beginning to detest Ronaldo. It's only about him and he couldn't even stand with his team-mates at the penalty shoot-out.

:agree: Far too up himself. Messi just does the business and makes it look easy. If Ronaldo wasn't a footballer, he'd be in Emerdale.

Diclonius
30-06-2016, 09:56 PM
How is Portugal even still tournament

Iggy Pope
30-06-2016, 10:02 PM

Its only ever about him. Never a team player.
Anywhere. And I don't care if he's a lovely guy off the field and he funds a thousand orphans. If he does, he's in the wrong game. Charity would make him a better person. Love to see him preening himself in the Portobello High St Cancer Research windae.
Prick.

MWHIBBIES
30-06-2016, 10:02 PM
:agree: Far too up himself. Messi just does the business and makes it look easy. If Ronaldo wasn't a footballer, he'd be in Emerdale.
If Messi wasn't a footballer he would be in jail for tax evasion.

Mr White
30-06-2016, 10:06 PM
If Messi wasn't a footballer he would be in jail for tax evasion.

Would he? If he wasn't a footballer he probably wouldn't be living in spain etc etc :greengrin

Time For Heroes
30-06-2016, 10:09 PM
Portugal have drawn every game in the Euros and are through, crazy

MWHIBBIES
30-06-2016, 10:10 PM
Would he? If he wasn't a footballer he probably wouldn't be living in spain etc etc :greengrin:greengrin

No idea why there is some great love-in with him. Tax evasion, not speaking to managers for weeks because they rest him, demanding to play in the middle at the expense of others (aye, some team player...), diving etc...

Jim44
30-06-2016, 10:14 PM
I can understand people earning big money takng legal steps to legally avoid paying so much tax., but it's the muppets earning zillions who cheat the system by illegally evading tax. Sc**mbags.

Pretty Boy
30-06-2016, 10:32 PM
Wales or Belgium will fancy their chances of making the final.

Still can't see past the winners of the Germany v Italy game to win it tbh. If France can perform as they did in the 2nd half v Ireland against a better opposition they will give either something to think about though. The winner is coming from that side of the draw though.

jacomo
30-06-2016, 10:55 PM
:greengrin

No idea why there is some great love-in with him. Tax evasion, not speaking to managers for weeks because they rest him, demanding to play in the middle at the expense of others (aye, some team player...), diving etc...

Lol is this for real?

I'm not talking about off the field matters, but not a team player?

Enrique is still the coach. And Suarez plays down the middle. Messi IS the best player in the world, do you really think that comes with no ego? His occasional strops are outweighed 1,000 times over by his moments of genius.

cookin_on_gaz
30-06-2016, 11:23 PM

Was just about to type exactly this. Has any other team in the history of the Euros, or the world cup for that matter, managed to progress so far without winning a game in 90 minutes?

Seems like a major flaw to me!

MWHIBBIES
01-07-2016, 12:36 AM
Lol is this for real?

Enrique is still the coach. And Suarez plays down the middle. Messi IS the best player in the world, do you really think that comes with no ego? His occasional strops are outweighed 1,000 times over by his moments of genius.Martino and Guardiola didn't play him every game and were treated like dirt by Messi at times. Suarez plays down the middle sure, Ibra was benched because Messi didn't want to play out wide. Does a team player quit because he loses a Copa America final?

Messi is no more of a team player than Ronaldo. No idea why one is loved and the other is hated.

hibsbollah
01-07-2016, 05:33 AM
Was just about to type exactly this. Has any other team in the history of the Euros, or the world cup for that matter, managed to progress so far without winning a game in 90 minutes?

Seems like a major flaw to me!

IIRC Italy drew all three of their group games in Espana 82 and then won the whole thing, beating Germany 3-1 in the final.

leither17
01-07-2016, 05:40 AM
Lol is this for real?

Enrique is still the coach. And Suarez plays down the middle. Messi IS the best player in the world, do you really think that comes with no ego? His occasional strops are outweighed 1,000 times over by his moments of genius.

Suarez is the best player in the world right now imo

blackpoolhibs
01-07-2016, 07:15 AM
:greengrin

When you are that good you get your own way a lot more than an ordinary player, Latapy was similar for us until he hung himself.

Rightly or wrongly he's worth more in the team than out of it.

I'd take him. :greengrin

Waxy
01-07-2016, 07:23 AM
Suarez is the best player in the world right now imo

You could be right. One thing for sure it's not Ronaldo.

calumhibee1
01-07-2016, 07:27 AM
Martino and Guardiola didn't play him every game and were treated like dirt by Messi at times. Suarez plays down the middle sure, Ibra was benched because Messi didn't want to play out wide. Does a team player quit because he loses a Copa America final?

Messi is no more of a team player than Ronaldo. No idea why one is loved and the other is hated.

This statement could not be further from the truth.

Teo10
01-07-2016, 07:31 AM
Martino and Guardiola didn't play him every game and were treated like dirt by Messi at times. Suarez plays down the middle sure, Ibra was benched because Messi didn't want to play out wide. Does a team player quit because he loses a Copa America final?

Up there with one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. I watch too much Spanish football and can safely say that you could not be any further from the truth if you tried.

The difference in every game between who is a team player and who isn't is day and night.

JimBHibees
01-07-2016, 08:36 AM

They beat Croatia 1 0. They have decent players, someone like Pepe absolute balloon that he is happens to be a superb defender when he is at it.

Wilson
01-07-2016, 08:58 AM
They beat Croatia 1 0. They have decent players, someone like Pepe absolute balloon that he is happens to be a superb defender when he is at it.

After extra time.

JimBHibees
01-07-2016, 08:59 AM
After extra time.

Which is still a win.

MWHIBBIES
01-07-2016, 09:36 AM
Up there with one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. I watch too much Spanish football and can safely say that you could not be any further from the truth if you tried.

The difference in every game between who is a team player and who isn't is day and night.
Oh well that's that then. You said my statement that I backed up with facts is wrong because you watch Spanish football.

I will join the anti Ronaldo pro Messi circle jerk right away.

Teo10
01-07-2016, 10:14 AM
Oh well that's that then. You said my statement that I backed up with facts is wrong because you watch Spanish football.

I will join the anti Ronaldo pro Messi circle jerk right away.

You picked out some of the few negative facts and based a decision on that without looking at all the other positive facts (like his assist record for example).

Based on being a team player, as others have said, Messi is miles ahead of Ronaldo. How many times has Messi been annoyed that his team-mate has scored and not him compared to Ronaldo?

They are both hugely competitive and hate to lose, heat of the moment decisions follow that. He may well overturn his decision on retiring from international, not to mention the others who have retired or due to retire from the national team after that defeat.

easty
01-07-2016, 10:28 AM
Season just past

Ronaldo an assist every 3.1 games
Messi an assist every 2.2 games

Season before

Ronaldo an assist every 2.5 games
Messi an assist every 2.1 games

Doesn't really show that Messi is far more a team player.

Wilson
01-07-2016, 10:41 AM
Which is still a win.

So is a win on penalties if you want to be like that.

The poster was technically correct that they have drawn every game and are through. They have yet to defeat anyone over 90 minutes.

tamig
01-07-2016, 11:40 AM
Season just past

Ronaldo an assist every 3.1 games
Messi an assist every 2.2 games

Season before

Ronaldo an assist every 2.5 games
Messi an assist every 2.1 games

Doesn't really show that Messi is far more a team player.
Assists are just one part of it. It's a pretty subjective issue and not easily backed up by stats. Some of the best "team
players" are the "unseen work" types. You won't see too many assists in a lot of those guys stats.

(((Fergus)))
01-07-2016, 01:55 PM
Assists are just one part of it. It's a pretty subjective issue and not easily backed up by stats. Some of the best "team
players" are the "unseen work" types. You won't see too many assists in a lot of those guys stats.

Not sure how objective these stats are but interesting nonetheless https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/206/Tournaments/4/Seasons/5933/Stages/12647/PlayerStatistics/Spain-La-Liga-2015-2016

Pete
01-07-2016, 06:50 PM
Wales v Belgium.

BBC get right into the important stuff: were Wales out of order for cheering Iceland?

Betty Boop
01-07-2016, 07:00 PM
That Welsh anthem again spine tingling ! :not worth

hibee_girl
'Last mention of England' the commentator says, we'll see!

mmmmhibby
good luck wales, theres something magical about the spirit of this welsh team, brilliantly refreshing.

Pretty Boy
01-07-2016, 07:06 PM
Hope Wales can do it.

They have come through a lot as a team, had a torrid time under Coleman in the early days but stuck at it and deserve their day in the sun.

LancashireHibby
01-07-2016, 07:07 PM
Kind of unavoidable given their captain is English :wink:

Pretty Boy
01-07-2016, 07:08 PM
That was heroic stuff from keeper and defenders.

hibee_girl
01-07-2016, 07:08 PM
Heroic defending there from Wales.

stokesmessiah
01-07-2016, 07:11 PM
Joe Ledley has a lovely beard.

Mr White
01-07-2016, 07:12 PM
Good start. I'd love to see a great game here, it's got the potential to be.

Pete
01-07-2016, 07:12 PM
These suspension rules need changed. Even simple fouls sometimes get yellow cards in today's game.

hibee_girl
01-07-2016, 07:14 PM
What a goal!

Pete
Far too much room.

Pretty Boy
Good strike. How much space did he have though? Not sure if the keeper should do better to tbh, went through him.

1-0 Belgium

Mr White
01-07-2016, 07:15 PM
Great strike.

LancashireHibby
What a hit. Dreadful tattoos, mind.

Betty Boop
Jeezo what a strike !

Scorrie
01-07-2016, 07:16 PM
What a dig that was! Jeezo 👏👏

Mr White
01-07-2016, 07:18 PM
Is that both welsh centre halfs on bookings now? Ominous for Wales.

renato
01-07-2016, 07:18 PM
He's done that for Roma too, got it in his locker. Great player.

Pretty Boy
01-07-2016, 07:27 PM
What a save that is by Courtois. Feet are immense.

Wales getting back into it.

Mr White
01-07-2016, 07:27 PM
Belgium looking like a team growing in confidence and form as the tournament progresses. Unlucky there for Neil Taylor.

Finn2015
01-07-2016, 07:31 PM
1-1!!!!

hibee_girl
1-1 :thumbsup:

Pretty Boy
Yesss

Well deserved, been the better side since going 1 down.

Pretty Boy
01-07-2016, 07:32 PM
De Bryune on the post needs to be taking a look in the mirror.

Mr White
01-07-2016, 07:32 PM
Game on!

Off the bar
01-07-2016, 07:33 PM
Well done! Great header

LancashireHibby
01-07-2016, 07:33 PM
Does that count as a goal for England?

Finn2015
01-07-2016, 07:34 PM

Don't give them ideas they will claim it 😂

coldingham hibs
01-07-2016, 07:41 PM
Belgium look really weak at the back. I can see Wales getting another couple of goals.

Pete
01-07-2016, 07:42 PM
Wales are bossing the midfield.

1987kev
01-07-2016, 07:43 PM
Those Welsh corners are giving me bad flash backs to when we were doing similar ones under butcher

easty
01-07-2016, 07:44 PM
Belgium look really weak at the back. I can see Wales getting another couple of goals.

They are. They're missing Vertonghan and Vermaelen and don't have great strength in depth.

cookin_on_gaz
01-07-2016, 07:46 PM
Haha the Belgium manager has some pair of man boobs :-)

lucky
01-07-2016, 07:47 PM
That's was enjoyable first half. But if it's not Hibs it's just not the same.

Billy Whizz
01-07-2016, 07:48 PM
Good game, really enjoying it

lord bunberry
01-07-2016, 07:50 PM
I took 4/1 the draw after Belgium scored, I'm thinking about cashing out, the Welsh dragon is flying in this game. I didn't think they had a performance like this in them.

Onceinawhile
01-07-2016, 07:52 PM
Is that both welsh centre halfs on bookings now? Ominous for Wales.

Playing with 3 at the back, but yes, 2/3 booked.

hibee_girl
01-07-2016, 07:53 PM
So it's Wales v Belgium but yeah let's get Frank Lampard on at half time to talk about England :rolleyes:

Finn2015
01-07-2016, 07:54 PM
So it's Wales v Belgium but yeah let's get Frank Lampard on at half time to talk about England :rolleyes:

Yip and it will continue through all coverage of he completion to I bet

Mon Dieu4
01-07-2016, 07:54 PM

Was just thinking the same, this as shocking even by their standards

Pete
01-07-2016, 07:56 PM

That didn't last long.

Mr White
01-07-2016, 07:56 PM

Funnily enough I'm finding the post mortem coverage much more enjoyable than the earlier tournament gate-crash features :greengrin

Pretty brutal when it's a Wales game they're meant to be covering though.

BoltonHibee
01-07-2016, 07:57 PM
****ing joke. Disgraceful. Who gives a **** about England, they are out!

Scorrie
Was just thinking the same, this as shocking even by their standards

Pretty disrespectful to Wales to be honest from the British Broadcasting Corporation!

hibsbollah

They both voted for Brexit :dunno:

hibee_girl
01-07-2016, 07:58 PM
Poor Dean Saunders having to sit there, he looks bored!

Pretty Boy
01-07-2016, 07:58 PM
This coverage is a joke. Is this the same coverage going out in Wales or does BBC Wales have it's own?

If it is the same it's a disgrace. Wales' biggest game in decades and all half time is spent discussing England.

ronaldo7
01-07-2016, 07:59 PM
FFS we want to hear about the Welsh and Belgians. England are out, get used to it ya throbbers.

hibsbollah
01-07-2016, 08:00 PM
Pretty disrespectful to Wales to be honest from the British Broadcasting Corporation!

I've said it before but we get it good form the BBC compared to the Welsh. Just an afterthought. I'm not watching the coverage but it sounds predictable.

ChooseLife
01-07-2016, 08:00 PM
12 mins of half time talking about England wow

lord bunberry
01-07-2016, 08:01 PM
This coverage is a joke. Is this the same coverage going out in Wales or does BBC Wales have it's own?

If it is the same it's a disgrace. Wales' biggest game in decades and all half time is spent discussing England.
I've just checked and bbc Wales is the same **** we're watching.

hibee_girl
01-07-2016, 08:02 PM

Quick look on sky tv guide and it seems to be the same coverage.

Hezbelle
01-07-2016, 08:03 PM
Every time I see a corner now all I can hear in my head is 'Henderson to delivaaaaaaah'

I'm ruined.

Pretty Boy
01-07-2016, 08:04 PM
That's a sitter

Mr White
01-07-2016, 08:06 PM
Every time I see a corner now all I can hear in my head is 'Henderson to delivaaaaaaah'

I'm ruined.

Ruined in the best possible way :greengrin

Pretty Boy
01-07-2016, 08:11 PM
What a goal that is.

I was screaming at him to pass.

hibee_girl
01-07-2016, 08:11 PM
Fantastic goal from Wales :aok:

Finn2015
01-07-2016, 08:12 PM
Bloody hell!

Onceinawhile
Wow. Peach.

Onceinawhile
What a goal that is.

I was screaming at him to pass.

Thought that too!

High-On-Hibs
01-07-2016, 08:13 PM
What a goal! What a team!

Nobody can call Wales a one man band anymore. Nobody.

Onion
01-07-2016, 08:13 PM
I'm Welsh for a night ! What a goal.

Mr White
01-07-2016, 08:14 PM
Great goal. Takes out 3 defenders with one touch.

Hezbelle
Amazing!!

Mon Dieu4
As someone who wanted Wales to get pumped in every game they play I am now loving every minute of them in the tournament, they are a total credit to themselves and country, so much so I've complained to the BBC about the halftime nonsense about England, let's see what generic response I get :rolleyes:

Deansy
01-07-2016, 08:15 PM
The EBC really showing that they don't give a xxx about Wales (AKA the 'Home Nation' as the media have named them as soon as the final-whistle blew in the Iceland game !!) - that disgusting half-time should, hopefully, see the Welsh FA complain !!!

Btw -GO KANU 2-1 !!! should that score remain, no doubt we'll get ANOTHER England-inquest during half-time in the semi-final !!!

High-On-Hibs
01-07-2016, 08:17 PM
Is anybody really surprised by the half time focus?

If Wales somehow pulled off the impossible, the headlines would be "Britain wins the world cup!"

vercol36
01-07-2016, 08:19 PM
Nice little rendition of 'are you watching, Engerlund?'

FitbaFolkKen
01-07-2016, 08:19 PM
"Are you watching England?"

Wales fans in good voice!

Michael
01-07-2016, 08:20 PM
'mon the Wales! I must have a distant relative or something 'cauae this is amazing.

hibsbollah
Nice little rendition of 'are you watching, Engerlund?'

Wales are everything England arent.How they beat them I have no idea.

Pretty Boy
That free kick! Awful.

Finn2015
01-07-2016, 08:23 PM
Wales are everything England arent.How they beat them I have no idea.

Think it was a case Wales made a hash of seeing the game out against them and showed them to much respect

Pete
01-07-2016, 08:23 PM
Every black player is called Lukaku apparently.

Off the bar
01-07-2016, 08:24 PM
Every black player is called Lukaku apparently.

There are 2 Lukakus in the Belgian side

lyonhibs
01-07-2016, 08:24 PM
Great game, only slightly marred by the continued existence of Felliani.

lord bunberry
01-07-2016, 08:25 PM
The Belgians have ran out of ideas, it will take a wonder goal to get them back in this game.

Pete
01-07-2016, 08:26 PM
There are 2 Lukakus in the Belgian side

Ha ha so there is. I though he was being daft. :-)

Mr White
01-07-2016, 08:27 PM
Great game, only slightly marred by the continued existence of Felliani.

He's doing his best to get a second yellow going by the last 5 minutes.

Thegreenside
01-07-2016, 08:27 PM
Ha ha so there is. I though he was being daft. :-)

They are brothers

vercol36
01-07-2016, 08:31 PM
Bounced off his barnet there

cabbageandribs1875
01-07-2016, 08:31 PM
felanni will never EVER be as good as david gray at heading a ball in the box

Off the bar
01-07-2016, 08:32 PM
Bounced off his barnet there

I celebrated that miss almost as much as the welsh goal, I've got no love for felaini

hibee_girl
01-07-2016, 08:33 PM
I celebrated that miss almost as much as the welsh goal, I've got no love for felaini

Has anyone? :dunno:

Hibernia&Alba
01-07-2016, 08:41 PM
Hang on here Wales!

SteveHFC
01-07-2016, 08:42 PM
:rolleyes:

celthedd1
Yeeeeeeeeeessss

Mr White
Brilliant :thumbsup:

cabbageandribs1875
tata belgium

Pretty Boy
Unbelievable.

They'll fancy making the final now.

Mon Dieu4
Ooft on you go

Hibernia&Alba
Yaaaaaas! What an achievement :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
wow

vercol36
Holy...moley...

hibee_girl
That has to be it!

Magnificent from Wales :thumbsup:

Pretty Boy
That header had a touch of the David Gray about it

Hibernia&Alba
01-07-2016, 08:43 PM
Robbie Savage has just shot his load :greengrin

Off the bar
01-07-2016, 08:43 PM
Amazing well done Wales

1987kev
01-07-2016, 08:44 PM
Savage sounded like me after gray winner 😂

Colr
01-07-2016, 08:44 PM
A couple of really class players and some great team spirit. That's how wee teams win at football.

Onion
01-07-2016, 08:45 PM
Amazing stuff.

hibee_girl
01-07-2016, 08:45 PM
Savage sounded like me after gray winner 

You can hear the disbelief in his voice :greengrin

vercol36
01-07-2016, 08:46 PM
It would be LOVELY to see Ronaldo's face if Wales gub them in the semi

Off the bar
I'm so jealous of the Welsh right now, I keep thinking imagine this was Scotland. . . . .

GreenLake

Said the same thing to my wife but it was lost on her.

Onion
01-07-2016, 08:47 PM
Wales, everything England are not.

HibbyKeith
01-07-2016, 08:48 PM
Fairytale stuff.

When the so called bigger teams lose it's often unfairly all about how poor they've been, but Wales have been bloody excellent again and totally deserving of a place in the semi final.

Jim44
Really chuffed for Wales. I thought at the start of the competition that Belgium were over-rated, fur coat and no knickers ....... they haven't disappointed. :greengrin

Colr
I'm so jealous of the Welsh right now, I keep thinking imagine this was Scotland. . . . .

We're still waiting for another Dalglish.

cabbageandribs1875
01-07-2016, 08:49 PM
Hazard created a Hazard for low-flying planes with that shot

Jim44
01-07-2016, 08:49 PM

.......... Or Cumming's goal against the Jambos.

Mr White
01-07-2016, 08:50 PM
Well done to Wales. Fair play to them, absolutely deserved.

Hibernia&Alba
Fully deserved. Tremendous for such a small country in which football isn't even the national game. So happy for them.

MWHIBBIES
Aye, but who scored the winner? Williams, Robson-Kanu or Vokes? :greengrin

lord bunberry
01-07-2016, 08:51 PM
****ing brilliant. Robbie Savage was brilliant there as well. I hope they get to the final now.

vercol36
And now for a post-match summary...about England

Mr White
Gary linekar sounds like scott Wilson would have if he'd been handed a microphone live on tv at 4.45 on 21st May this year.

Mon Dieu4

Bale

cookin_on_gaz
01-07-2016, 08:52 PM
Did you hear Gary Linekar there "this is one of the greatest feats in BRITISH football"

TWAT

hibbytam

Gives you a little bit of hope that maybe someday, if we could just get our act together, it could be.

Mr White

Messi. It was a great team effort :greengrin

Jonnyboy
:music: Vokes is on fire :music:

Pretty Boy
01-07-2016, 08:54 PM
Great to hear the genuine emotion from Savage and Saunders

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

stoneyburn hibs
01-07-2016, 08:55 PM
Hopefully they will pump the Portuguese who have been the most horrible team to watch.

MKHIBEE
01-07-2016, 08:57 PM
A cracking game, well done to the Welsh, I think they will do Portugal. Aaron Ramsey for me was excellent but you couldn't pick a man of the match from that. Williams, Allen, Chester, all were brilliant and Kanus goal, top class. My Welsh gran will be smiling from above

lord bunberry

:agree: Fantastic to hear that.

Finn2015
Absolutely amazing and very merited. I hope Wales go all the way and they need not fear Portugal! Amazing what can be achieved

Zazu62
01-07-2016, 08:58 PM
EPL - Leicester
Big Cup - Hibernian
Euro 2016 - Wales?

Onceinawhile
01-07-2016, 09:00 PM
Did you hear Gary Linekar there "this is one of the greatest feats in BRITISH football"

TWAT

A? How? He's saying not only is it a great Welsh performance but that it ranks up there with anything achieved by Scotland, England or Northern Ireland.

nellio
01-07-2016, 09:01 PM
We're a one man team though??? Heard that mulipile times on here. I've never been so proud. Cymru am byth!

marinello59
A? How? He's saying not only is it a great Welsh performance but that it ranks up there with anything achieved by Scotland, England or Northern Ireland.

Exactly.

Billy Whizz
Great result and great performance from Wales. Shows you that it's all about the team

Onceinawhile
A cracking game, well done to the Welsh, I think they will do Portugal. Aaron Ramsey for me was excellent but you couldn't pick a man of the match from that. Williams, Allen, Chester, all were brilliant and Kanus goal, top class. My Welsh gran will be smiling from above

Bale was about the worst Welsh player on the pitch! Unreal performance.

Shame Ramsey and Chester are out of the semi final. Ramsey was outstanding.

lyonhibs
Absolute madness. Fabulous, and utterly deserved. This wasn't some smash and grab effort, they played the better football.

nellio
01-07-2016, 09:02 PM
And where's rabbit gone that argued with me that Scotland are better?? All quiet now pal???

MKHIBEE
01-07-2016, 09:03 PM

I liked Savage's honesty,called decisions right even when it went against Wales, especially the free kick and penalty near the end. In stark contrast to some of the English co commentators we have had to suffer.

Onceinawhile
We're a one man team though??? Heard that mulipile times on here. I've never been so proud. Cymru am byth!

Anyone who spouts the one man team nonsense can be ignored as they clearly know nothing about football.

Given it's a central midfield playing for

Arsenal Liverpool crystal palace

It's quite clear.

cookin_on_gaz

My point is why should it even be mentioned. It's always the same, if one of the home nations achieves something it's great for Britain but when England does it its all three lions on a shirt nonsense

Billy Whizz
01-07-2016, 09:04 PM
I liked Savage's honesty,called decisions right even when it went against Wales, especially the free kick and penalty near the end. In stark contrast to some of the English co commentators we have had to suffer.

Me too

SON OF PADDY
01-07-2016, 09:05 PM
Total respect 👏👏👏 Excellent performance.👍👍

Onceinawhile
01-07-2016, 09:05 PM
****ing brilliant. Robbie Savage was brilliant there as well. I hope they get to the final now.

I thought he did very well to keep his composure and keep his opinions neutral until the last few minutes.

I'm fairly sure the silence after the third goal was because he had the headset/microphone off and was screaming.

Hibernia&Alba
01-07-2016, 09:06 PM
And where's rabbit gone that argued with me that Scotland are better?? All quiet now pal???

Wales are far better than Scotland just now. Wales have some better individuals, and the rest play for the team and know their job.

Onceinawhile
01-07-2016, 09:06 PM
My point is why should it even be mentioned. It's always the same, if one of the home nations achieves something it's great for Britain but when England does it its all three lions on a shirt nonsense

Because to say it's the best Welsh footballing performance would rank it together with em... Em... Em...

Comparing it to British football means 1966 et al.

It's a HUGE compliment.

MKHIBEE
01-07-2016, 09:07 PM
Bale was about the worst Welsh player on the pitch! Unreal performance.

Shame Ramsey and Chester are out of the semi final. Ramsey was outstanding.
Bale was still better than Lukaku and De Bruyne

cookin_on_gaz
01-07-2016, 09:10 PM
Because to say it's the best Welsh footballing performance would rank it together with em... Em... Em...

Comparing it to British football means 1966 et al.

It's a HUGE compliment.

Fair enough, I guess we see it different ways.

Hiber-nation
01-07-2016, 09:10 PM

Can't quite believe how much he's improved over the past few months after his ranting and raving hysteria at some Man City Champions League game.

(((Fergus)))
01-07-2016, 09:14 PM
BREXIT 3 - 1 BRUSSELS :cool2:

GordonHFC
01-07-2016, 09:15 PM
Very high if people underestimate Wales other players like you are. Quality team.

Most humblest apologies to the Welsh for my earlier comments. What a breath of fresh air watching a team play as a team.

Onceinawhile
01-07-2016, 09:18 PM
Bale was still better than Lukaku and De Bruyne

Aye, but they aren't Welsh!

gaz1875
01-07-2016, 09:20 PM
First half or at least 35 minutes of it, how to make the game look easy, simple passing to feet, closing down the opposition and keeping the team shape...second half how to not walk off the pitch thinking you could have done more. Magnificent team performance with some outstanding individual performances thrown in...take a bow Wales :not worth

nellio
01-07-2016, 09:21 PM
Feel like ive waited my whole life for this. I was broken after we lost to Russia in that playoff but this is unbelievable

HibbyAndy
01-07-2016, 09:24 PM
Aaron Ramsey was the star man tonight by MILES.

Itsnoteasy
01-07-2016, 09:24 PM

I was in Bordeaux when welsh fans were there first weekend & republic second weekend. The welsh were more welcoming & friendly. My top fans of the euros. Good Luck, it was a pleasure to be in your company.

Finn2015
01-07-2016, 09:25 PM
Yip agree. If not proved before then tonight certainly dispelled any notion that Wales are a one man team. If anyone still believes that then they need to get a grip

Pete
01-07-2016, 09:25 PM

A Scotland with McGinn and Hendo playing would wipe the floor with Wales. ;-)

Pete
01-07-2016, 09:26 PM

Ridiculous that he's suspended.

HibbyAndy
01-07-2016, 09:27 PM
A Scotland with McGinn and Hendo playing would wipe the floor with Wales. ;-)

Remember Steven Fletcher goal WRONGLY ruled offside to put us 2-1 in Wales then Bale does what he does:rolleyes:

GreenLake
01-07-2016, 09:27 PM
Portugal have been rotten. Ronaldo will be raging if Bale upstages him. Can't wait to see that game.

gaz1875
01-07-2016, 09:28 PM

Joe Allen for me, he must have ran another couple of inches of his height lol...but not much in it for man of the match between a few players, the defender Taylor seemed to get on everything at the end of the game blocks, tackles and clearances.

Finn2015
Portugal have been rotten. Ronaldo will be raging if Bale upstages him. Can't wait to see that game.

Think bale is ready to take ronaldos mantle at Madrid now.

stoneyburn hibs
Feel like ive waited my whole life for this. I was broken after we lost to Russia in that playoff but this is unbelievable

I think it's safe to say that probably the whole of Scotland is rooting for the Welsh, enjoy it mate. Absolutely amazing football from the Welsh, and the best part is that there has been nothing lucky about their progress. Love it.

Itsnoteasy
01-07-2016, 09:32 PM

Was watching Hendos corners in SCF

JimBHibees
01-07-2016, 09:32 PM

Will be a huge loss in semi. Very harsh yellow.

JimBHibees
01-07-2016, 09:34 PM
Remember Steven Fletcher goal WRONGLY ruled offside to put us 2-1 in Wales then Bale does what he does:rolleyes:

Think that would have been 2 nil at the time.

HibbyAndy
01-07-2016, 09:35 PM
Will be a huge loss in semi. Very harsh yellow.

Hopefully will be playing in the final, He was sublime tonight, The play where he killed the ball dead and crossed it in for Kanu was supreme, Covered every acre of ground tonightand just always seemed to be the heart beat of the team.

HibbyAndy
01-07-2016, 09:37 PM
Think that would have been 2 nil at the time.

Thinking about it your spot on !

JeMeSouviens
01-07-2016, 09:38 PM

It was Buchan - Dalglish 1977 at Anfield v Wales. Classic!

jacomo
01-07-2016, 09:53 PM
People have grumbled a bit about these championships, but surely the doubters are being won over now?

Wales embody team spirit - unfancied on paper, but wonderful commitment and togetherness. These sort of games remind me what a wonderful game football is.

Time For Heroes
01-07-2016, 09:56 PM
People have grumbled a bit about these championships, but surely the doubters are being won over now?

Wales embody team spirit - unfancied on paper, but wonderful commitment and togetherness. These sort of games remind me what a wonderful game football is.

well said

ekhibee
01-07-2016, 10:03 PM
Not got any time for Wales (the country) after the referendum, and their anti-independence bias, but that aside the Welsh national team represent all that's good about football, down to the last man. They work brilliantly as a team, working for each other, and they're pretty deadly on the counter attack. They're also good to watch. Now they've got a good defence, something they didn't have in the past, and in my opinion they've got a great chance of getting to the final. Good luck to the Welsh national team.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
01-07-2016, 10:16 PM
Absolutely fantastic Wales!

Mibbes Aye
01-07-2016, 11:13 PM

There were lots of stars for Wales tonight and they showed the talent they have extends beyond Bale and Ramsey.

Nevertheless Ramsey was the pick for me. He has a fantastic first touch, but the real trick is in his positioning to receive and his movement after he has passed - it highlights the difference between him and his teammates. It's just on a different level, it doesn't show on TV the way a mazy dribble does but you can see it and you know he's a step above the others.

The quality of his passing is something else too - there was a sweeping cross late on, I think to Robson-Kanu, that was just sublime.

Joe Allen for me, he must have ran another couple of inches of his height lol...but not much in it for man of the match between a few players, the defender Taylor seemed to get on everything at the end of the game blocks, tackles and clearances.

Allen is a very decent player and his workrate, especially in the closing stages was commendable. Like you say, there was no shortage of heroes for Wales tonight

mjhibby
02-07-2016, 03:13 AM
EPL - Leicester
Big Cup - Hibernian
Euro 2016 - Wales?

Was thinking exactly the same thing.

mjhibby
02-07-2016, 03:20 AM

And also no little skill. The second and third goals were superb finishes.

Finn2015
02-07-2016, 04:30 AM

I am one of those and yes, the exploits of the likes of Wales and Iceland have won me over. Regardless of who finally wins this, it is these two teams with the likes of Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland who have made these championships a success

hibsbollah
02-07-2016, 05:50 AM
Am I right in thinking England have only made the semi finals of a major tournament in 1966 and Italia 90?

AFKA5814_Hibs
02-07-2016, 05:59 AM
Am I right in thinking England have only made the semi finals of a major tournament in 1966 and Italia 90?

1996 also. England's record at the Euros and WC is really poor for their perceived standing in football. Scotland's of course is worse than poor. No qualification since 1998 and never having got past the group stages is pitiful.

hibsbollah
02-07-2016, 06:13 AM
1996 also. England's record at the Euros and WC is really poor for their perceived standing in football. Scotland's of course is worse than poor. No qualification since 1998 and never having got past the group stages is pitiful.

Forgot about 96.

The never got past the group stages thing with Scotland really rankled with me when I was growing up. But in those days of course we always qualified. The possibility of us going 20 years without even qualifying seemed totally inconceivable in the 70s and 80s!

Pete
02-07-2016, 06:34 AM
1996 also. England's record at the Euros and WC is really poor for their perceived standing in football.

England haven't performed to an acceptable standard at a major tournament since 2006. They had some really good teams in the nineties and early noughties and really should have won something. There was always something though, self destruction, moments of genius from an opposition player or pesky penalties.

They had their chance back then but logic says they have to get it right again. It's one of the richest football leagues in the world and all the accusations flung at English players also apply to players of other nationalities. Italian and Spanish players are also millionaires who live in a bubble but they get it right.

The only thing I can think of is the pressure they are under to perform.

Onion
02-07-2016, 08:18 AM
Great to see the BBC bigging up Wales achievement this morning. Someone must have been explaining to them all night that the football and the mood of the UK doesn't actually revolve around the misfortunes of the England team and sometimes good things happen elsewhere.

Also good to see them interviewing the elated Welsh fans after the match, capturing their disbelief, shock and joy.

Which got me thinking, what a pity BBC Scotland or ITV failed to do anything similar on 21 May to capture the sheer elation of Hibs fans leaving Hampden after our amazing Cup win. Perhaps they would have got a slight insight into what it meant to Hibs fans and why some of the events unfolded at FT. Then again, perhaps they were just fearful of being attacked by the rioting hoards of Hibbys ? Or more likely, they couldn't have cared less and were a tad annoyed that they would have to drop their annual slagging of Hibernian's efforts to win the Holy Grail. Who know.

Hibby Bairn
02-07-2016, 08:36 AM
I am one of those and yes, the exploits of the likes of Wales and Iceland have won me over. Regardless of who finally wins this, it is these two teams with the likes of Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland who have made these championships a success

I can quite easily see Iceland beating France. Hope they do.

scooby
02-07-2016, 08:45 AM
I can quite easily see Iceland beating France. Hope they do.

Yup I think they have a great chance of turning France over.
I also think Wales will beat Portugal who have been really disappointing.
Wales vs Italy final for me.

mim
02-07-2016, 08:59 AM
Yup I think they have a great chance of turning France over.
I also think Wales will beat Portugal who have been really disappointing.
Wales vs Italy final for me.

Hope you're right about that. I bet Italy/Wales before the quarters at 28/1. Now 9/1 with Ladbrokes :wink:

ekhibee
02-07-2016, 10:48 AM
Well I'm assuming now that one part of my bet is gone, I had a France v Italy final (at 33/1). I've still got Italy to win at 18/1, so we'll see.

MWHIBBIES
02-07-2016, 11:12 AM
Well I'm assuming now that one part of my bet is gone, I had a France v Italy final (at 33/1). I've still got Italy to win at 18/1, so we'll see.
That bet was over as soon as Italy beat Belgium tbh.