PDA

View Full Version : Petrofac cup

Finn2015
07-06-2016, 12:53 PM
When's the draw etc for absolute no nothing mugs like me

HibsNutter
07-06-2016, 12:58 PM
No idea, as long as we go out at the first round again I'm happy.

SlickShoes
07-06-2016, 01:01 PM

Happy to put out what's basically a B team for this and if they lose then it's a good run out and if they win then let them just go with it.

judas
07-06-2016, 01:06 PM

This

Spudster
07-06-2016, 01:06 PM
Yeah definitely the development squad for this and I would do the same for the League Cup.

scoopyboy
07-06-2016, 01:12 PM
I want to win it.

Finn2015
07-06-2016, 01:12 PM
Yeah it's not exactly high on my wishes for the new season but just fancy attending any prospective game if drawn at home

Greencore
07-06-2016, 01:16 PM
If it means extra cash for the club i would want us to win it.

MyJo
07-06-2016, 01:17 PM
Given that we have got a bye in the league cup now and will be playing 5 less games than most others in that competition the petrofac cup will be a good opportunity for those on the fringes of the first team or that have been out on loan last season to show what they can do to the new boss.

Get the young lads and guys like Insall, Handling, Stanton and Harris involved in those early competitive matches.

erin go bragh
07-06-2016, 01:19 PM
I thought with us being in Europe , we wouldn't be entered into the challenge cup .

MyJo
07-06-2016, 01:20 PM
Yeah it's not exactly high on my wishes for the new season but just fancy attending any prospective game if drawn at home

Just checked last seasons fixtures and the first round was 25th July

Danderhall Hibs
07-06-2016, 01:34 PM
Both years have been extra pre season games for us. I'd imagine it'll be the same this year unless Europe falls at the same time.

Finn2015
07-06-2016, 01:34 PM
Just checked last seasons fixtures and the first round was 25th July

Yeah but we won't talk about that game to much lol

Waxy
07-06-2016, 01:35 PM
Bet we draw Berwick rangers.

pacoluna
07-06-2016, 01:43 PM
Petrofonic cup is an embarrassment, financially I don't how much a cup run would provide, However I would take no pride in winning it what so ever. Imagine going to hampden to watch us in the petrofonic cup! no thanks

scoopyboy
07-06-2016, 01:45 PM
Petrofonic cup is an embarrassment, financially I don't how much a cup run would provide, However I would take no pride in winning it what so ever. Imagine going to hampden to watch us in the petrofonic cup! no thanks

I doubt the final will be at Hampden this season.

I would go to the games just cos it's Hibs.

bubblesmorrison
07-06-2016, 01:47 PM
I don't understand why any fan would go into a game wanting their team to get beat? I would use it as a competitive pre season game and if we progress used it for fringe and development players to get game time.

Waxy
Use them as training matches. If we go out then so be it.

southsider
:top marks
Both years have been extra pre season games for us. I'd imagine it'll be the same this year unless Europe falls at the same time.
Europa cup ties are 14th and 21st July

ShinyFantastic
07-06-2016, 01:50 PM
Here we go, the usual debate of whether we should throw matches or actually try to win them

pacoluna
07-06-2016, 01:55 PM
I doubt the final will be at Hampden this season.

I would go to the games just cos it's Hibs.

I would hope not, who even won it last year?

Surely europa cup qualifications should give us omission from having to play in this joke of a cup.

only slight positive I can think of is smaller clubs like Edinburgh city might get a decent draw/exposure.

CallumLaidlaw
07-06-2016, 02:00 PM
Here we go, the usual debate of whether we should throw matches or actually try to win them

Is it throwing matches, or using the full resources of your squad to prioritise competitions. Spanish sides play their reserve goalie in champions league and Europa league games. Are they throwing matches?

Hibernian Verse
07-06-2016, 02:02 PM

It's funny how some people think we're too good for this cup. We simply aren't which is why we're in this ***** hole of a league.

Finn2015
07-06-2016, 02:02 PM
Nothing wrong in using it as an exercise in giving fringe and youth players a run out. Perfect opportunity

Hibernian Verse
07-06-2016, 02:03 PM
Is it throwing matches, or using the full resources of your squad to prioritise competitions. Spanish sides play their reserve goalie in champions league and Europa league games. Are they throwing matches?

There's a difference between putting Pinto in goals and putting our development keeper in.

Brooster
07-06-2016, 02:07 PM
All of a sudden some of our fans think we are Manchester United and shouldnt be trying in certain cup competitions.

CallumLaidlaw
07-06-2016, 02:11 PM
There's a difference between putting Pinto in goals and putting our development keeper in.

So how do we develop that goalie? hope that he comes good in development games, or actually give him a chance in the less important games. And maybe these players will actually go in and do well and win games, meaning they will break into the actual first team with a bit of exposure under their belt. We could easily field the likes of Stanton, Crane, Virtanen, Lee Martin, Lewis Allan along with some first team fringe players and compete against most of the teams in the competition

Craig_HFC
07-06-2016, 02:11 PM
All of a sudden some of our fans think we are Manchester United and shouldnt be trying in certain cup competitions.

Don't think anyone is saying that we 'shouldn't be trying'. It's pretty obvious that the Petrofac Cup is not a priority for Hibs this coming season as promotion is the absolute be all & end all for us.

Playing the kids and some fringe players in this tournament is not 'not trying'; it is using the squad sensibly as our priorities lie elsewhere. It also gives the chance for certain players more of a chance to play competitive football that they might not usually get.

worcesterhibby
07-06-2016, 02:12 PM
It's funny how some people think we're too good for this cup. We simply aren't which is why we're in this ***** hole of a league.

We were cup finalists in the League cup and cup winners of the Scottish Cup - Of course we are too good to worry about the Petro***** nonsense and we need to prioritise the league not get players tired and injured from playing in pointless tournaments. Development squad.

we are hibs
07-06-2016, 02:13 PM
If we do play a weakened side then I hope we stick with them all the way through if we get to the final. Don't want us changing the team once we get to the final.

Thecat23
07-06-2016, 02:14 PM

I think our cup runs proved you can't win the league and compete in the domestic cups. I'm not complaining that's for sure but I'd happily play the under 21's for all 3 cups if it meant us fully focussed on winning the league.

Nothing to do with a Manchester attitude, just want Hibs up and don't see the benefit of this cup.

DH1875
07-06-2016, 02:15 PM
Bet we draw Berwick rangers.

Berwick away would be a great wee day out.

As for the cup, we play to win, simple as that.

1875STEVE
07-06-2016, 02:21 PM
As has been stated.

Id use it to get fringe players game time & U19 players game exposure, and just let them run with it, even if we got to final.

It's not a tournament we need, with extra games, promotion priority.

But if it gives game time to guys like Insall, Handling, Stanton, Harris and the u19's etc im all for it.

Especially if it can be used as shop window to get the fringe players out that any new boss doesn't fancy.

Marco G
07-06-2016, 02:23 PM
It's funny how some people think we're too good for this cup. We simply aren't which is why we're in this ***** hole of a league.May find that this league will throw up a lot more quality matches than Premier League though!

KWJ
07-06-2016, 02:25 PM
When did QotS enter when they were in Europe as SC finalists?

Surely as winners we get a bye to the final or something!

Jones28
07-06-2016, 02:29 PM
Good competition for our fringe and younger players to be involved in!

Marco G
07-06-2016, 02:31 PM
I think our cup runs proved you can't win the league and compete in the domestic cups. I'm not complaining that's for sure but I'd happily play the under 21's for all 3 cups if it meant us fully focussed on winning the league.

Nothing to do with a Manchester attitude, just want Hibs up and don't see the benefit of this cup.Part of the problem was replays and ties causing build up of postponed league games. With early league cup next season and no winter break for our league may not be such a problem. However we need to have a strong first team squad to cover possibility of group stage Europa League!

scoopyboy
07-06-2016, 02:37 PM

Nothing to do with a Manchester attitude, just want Hibs up and don't see the benefit of this cup.

Rangers won the League and competed in the cups.

Hibs need cup runs for financial reasons which I'm sure will be evident when the annual results come out.

.Sean.
07-06-2016, 02:39 PM

Correct. Like ie it or not we're in the cup 'on merit' :agree:

Dinny even get me started on those hoping we 'go out in the first round'. How on earth could you give along to a Hibs match and be happy coming away with a defeat??

hibeeleicester
07-06-2016, 02:42 PM
Lets win it.

BSEJVT
07-06-2016, 02:42 PM
I have never believed in the mentality that you can pick and choose your games to turn it on.

I have no problem with us playing fringe players, but I would expect each and everyone of those selected to be bursting a gut to win.

Any player who thinks they can go through the motions sometimes and the automatically click into gear when need be is deluding themselves IMO

Its the start of the season FFS, would we rather they got ready for the campaign by playing meaningless friendlies against Auchenshoogle Athletic's 1994 Border Shield winning side or against guys in a league not a million miles from where we will be playing getting ready for their own campaign's?

As for this nonsense that its demeaning playing in it, that's where we are right now and if the players showed (which they wont) that same mentality, we would be here for a long time.

I enjoy watching Hibs winning, regardless of the competition or standard of opposition.

SunshineOnLeith
07-06-2016, 02:46 PM
Development squad and fringe players for me. Don't see why some people on here believe our young players wouldn't try to win?

ian cruise
07-06-2016, 02:48 PM
Development squad and fringe players for me. Don't see why some people on here believe our young players wouldn't try to win?

Agreed, not only that but we might have one or two that really shine and begin to challenge for places in the first team.

Blaster
07-06-2016, 02:54 PM
Correct. Like ie it or not we're in the cup 'on merit' :agree:

Dinny even get me started on those hoping we 'go out in the first round'. How on earth could you give along to a Hibs match and be happy coming away with a defeat??

I don't hope we go out but do hope our younger/development players get some game exposure and also game time for our fringe players. This combination should be good enough to beat most of the teams we'd come up against

And if not it will highlight that our fringe players are not good enough

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
07-06-2016, 03:15 PM

I do think were too good for it. Its an embarrasment were in it, and it would be a cringe to celebrate winning it.

Sack it, play reserves.

Finn2015
07-06-2016, 03:16 PM
Huns celebrated it like it was the European cup

Billy Whizz
07-06-2016, 03:31 PM
I'm not convinced, that this tournament is happening this year. There are no dates for it on the SPFL website

greenlex
07-06-2016, 03:37 PM
I'm not convinced, that this tournament is happening this year. There are no dates for it on the SPFL website

It's the challenge cup so it will happen. Sponsorship will be the hold up. I think Petrofac are an oil related business so might be cutting back a bit.

Ken
07-06-2016, 03:40 PM
1st round is on 03/08/2016, no idea when the draw is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vini1875
07-06-2016, 03:42 PM
I still want to win it, just as I would with all Hibs games.

jacomo
07-06-2016, 03:46 PM

We have to play our strongest team in the Scottish Cup, when it comes around again.

We are the holders (oh yes!) and it's our responsibility to defend our status.

As for the others, we've got a late entry into the League Cup, so not a distraction for now. This challenge cup is fine, so long as we recognise that avoiding the slow start we've had in the League the past two seasons is crucial.

There is also a 4th cup... likelihood of progressing into the proper stages of the Europa League is small, but I hope we give it our best shot.

portyhibernian
07-06-2016, 03:48 PM
Not bothered about it, give some young guys a shot and see what they're about.

allezsauzee
07-06-2016, 03:51 PM
Not bothered about it, give some young guys a shot and see what they're about.

This! Good opportunity for the young guys to play against experienced professionals

Dashing Bob S
07-06-2016, 03:54 PM
It's a calculated insult asking a club of Hibernian's stature to seriously engage in this joke. Leave it to the nothing clubs - fringe players and youths only please.

We are going to be chockers with real tournaments next season, let's focus on those, especially on getting out of that League, and ignore this silliness.

Pretty Boy
07-06-2016, 03:56 PM
I want to win it.

Likewise.

I wouldn't be prioritising it at all but if it's there to be won I want to do so.

lord bunberry
07-06-2016, 04:10 PM
I hope we win it by playing the development team. No first team players should play in this cup, unless it's used as part of our pre season. Last season all the extra cup games caught up with us, we can't afford that to happen this season.

07-06-2016, 04:15 PM
Happy to put out what's basically a B team for this and if they lose then it's a good run out and if they win then let them just go with it.

Exactly, use this competiton to give the development players or any injured first team players that need game time as part of their fitness recovery a game.

Do not want to risk injuring any first team players in a meaningless competition like this. No disrespect meant and i'm not meaning to sound yammish with all the "we're too big for wee cups" patter but the petrofac cup is really not a priority.

lapsedhibee
07-06-2016, 04:40 PM
Huns celebrated it like it was the European cup

Wasn't it their first ever cup though? If so, fair to celebrate. At least their fans didn't hospitalise all 11 of the opposition players while doing so.

CRAZYHIBBY
07-06-2016, 04:41 PM
I want to win it...sing sunshine on leith
Then parade the cup on an open top bus

Just Alf
07-06-2016, 04:42 PM
In the 1st/early rounds I wouldnt mind if we did play our 1st pick 11... IF the idea was to ensure we hit the ground running whem the league games start, after that point the priority should be the league so teams getting picked (for the various cups) should reflect that, fringe players, coming back from.injury etc etc.... whatever happens though, the team that runs onto the pitch will get my full backing and I'll be gutted if we loose.

GGTTH!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Haymaker
07-06-2016, 07:23 PM
Squad players and young lads. Competitive football to keep fit and show what they can do.

Eyrie
07-06-2016, 08:14 PM
Our European commitments will make arranging friendlies in late July difficult so the Petrofac can be used instead. I'd have a core of fringe players looking for an opportunity to impress the new manager and supplement them with a few first choice players to help build match fitness.

Jonnyboy
07-06-2016, 08:33 PM
I want Hibs to win every game they play in, regardless of the competition

Just Jimmy
07-06-2016, 08:35 PM
I skipped to the end of the thread to post this exact thing.

I'd want us to win the edinburgh school's cup if we could.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Marco G
07-06-2016, 08:42 PM
I want Hibs to win every game they play in, regardless of the competitionIts possible to win every game but still use the full squad. The problem is getting the balance right. If we have a cup game then a vital league match we might need to rest key players for the league game. Last season we were stretched to the limit and seemed short of "fringe players" to help out. Hope next season we have an even stronger first team squad plus some others pushing for a place, to cover for extra games, injuries etc.

Jonnyboy
07-06-2016, 08:43 PM
Its possible to win every game but still use the full squad. The problem is getting the balance right. If we have a cup game then a vital league match we might need to rest key players for the league game. Last season we were stretched to the limit and seemed short of "fringe players" to help out. Hope next season we have an even stronger first team squad plus some others pushing for a place, to cover for extra games, injuries etc.

I agree :agree: My post was really in response to those who said they wouldn't mind us getting beat because it's a diddy cup. It may well be but I can't ever think of a time I hoped Hibs would get beat!

Marco G
07-06-2016, 09:08 PM
I agree :agree: My post was really in response to those who said they wouldn't mind us getting beat because it's a diddy cup. It may well be but I can't ever think of a time I hoped Hibs would get beat!
Sorry,spot on.

07-06-2016, 09:44 PM
I want hibs to win every game they play too but this cup is so not worth risking our first team players getting injured in. We need everyone fit for the title push which is the main priority.

Use this for development players and players who need game time for fitness if recovering from injury. If we win the competition with this squad great, if we go out then can't say i'll be shedding any tears over it tbh.

Andy74
07-06-2016, 10:38 PM
As a compromise I'd like us to win it by playing fringe and young players.

Jonnyboy
07-06-2016, 10:52 PM
I want hibs to win every game they play too but this cup is so not worth risking our first team players getting injured in. We need everyone fit for the title push which is the main priority.

Use this for development players and players who need game time for fitness if recovering from injury. If we win the competition with this squad great, if we go out then can't say i'll be shedding any tears over it tbh.

As a compromise I'd like us to win it by playing fringe and young players.

I've no problem with any of this! Just always want us to win :greengrin

Sir David Gray
07-06-2016, 10:54 PM
I want us to win every game we play in but I wouldn't be playing any of the first team squad in this tournament.

MWHIBBIES
07-06-2016, 11:01 PM
All of a sudden some of our fans think we are Manchester United and shouldnt be trying in certain cup competitions.54 games was too many, we will struggle in the league again if we get to both finals.

Folk think we are Barcelona and can compete successfully on all fronts, they are kidding themselves.

CallumLaidlaw
08-06-2016, 01:36 PM
Hamilton have announced on their twitter that Premiership U20 sides will take part in this seasons challenge cup :confused::rolleyes:

hibeeleicester
08-06-2016, 01:50 PM
Hamilton have announced on their twitter that Premiership U20 sides will take part in this seasons challenge cup :confused::rolleyes:

Fantastic idea. Let's pump the Hearts U20's first round with a full squad.

Keith_M
08-06-2016, 01:51 PM
I suggested we put out the B team last season for this no mark competition and was shot down in flames, so I'm saying nothin!

;)

heretoday
08-06-2016, 01:53 PM

Frightful isn't it? We should try to get to as many finals as possible.

Lester B
08-06-2016, 02:04 PM
We're in 4 cup tournaments (Petro, that one Hearts haven't won in years, that one we hold and the Europa) and a league.

Never good at maths. What's the 5 equivalent of a treble. A quintuple?

Optimistic? Me???

CallumLaidlaw
08-06-2016, 02:31 PM
It gets weirder - http://stv.tv/sport/football/1356801-northern-irish-and-welsh-sides-to-join-top-flight-u20s-in-challenge-cup/

Diclonius
08-06-2016, 02:33 PM
It gets weirder - http://stv.tv/sport/football/1356801...challenge-cup/ (http://stv.tv/sport/football/1356801-northern-irish-and-welsh-sides-to-join-top-flight-u20s-in-challenge-cup/)

Wtf is this ****?

Sorry, that just looks like a convoluted mess. I'm not paying to watch Hibs be taunted by Premiership teams fans if we draw their under 20 team.

MyJo
08-06-2016, 02:48 PM
We won't be entering the competition until the third round now

Dashing Bob S
08-06-2016, 02:58 PM

Me too, I just don't want us to play anything like our strongest side in this one.

ekhibee
08-06-2016, 03:03 PM
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13263843_10205975820266217_7303558166996135820_n.j pg?oh=e976801543acc2bc635b355bd739b5c2&oe=57D93EC4

Pretty Boy
08-06-2016, 07:07 PM
Hibs v Linfield with Lennon in charge.

Could be fun

jgl07
08-06-2016, 07:25 PM
I want us to win every game we play in but I wouldn't be playing any of the first team squad in this tournament.
Any of the first team squad? Rather sweeping methinks?

What about fringe players who are in need of gametime assuming that there are few injuries and no suspensions ealy in the season?

What about those like Insoll who have been out on loan?

What about players coming back from injury?

CallumLaidlaw
09-06-2016, 10:45 AM
No Challenge cup until September - http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/6558

snedzuk
09-06-2016, 10:47 AM
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13263843_10205975820266217_7303558166996135820_n.j pg?oh=e976801543acc2bc635b355bd739b5c2&oe=57D93EC4

'B cup'? (Well he is a tit)

emerald green
09-06-2016, 11:06 AM
I wish Hibs could opt out of this meaningless and pointless tournament. If not, development squad only to take part.

Promotion is the top priority this season, and nothing should be allowed to get in the way of that.