PDA

View Full Version : Moonshine on Leith

Carheenlea
07-06-2016, 06:24 AM
This looks like it could be an entertaining read - Sandy Macnair is in the process of writing this account of our Scottish Cup victory. Sandy is a veteran of the fanzine scene, with Grumpy Gibby one of his many contributions, and has also penned a couple of books, the last being 'Growing up in Green', and the author of maybe the best letter to ever appear in the Scotsman..

http://i65.tinypic.com/264gtcm.jpg

HibeesLittleHel
07-06-2016, 08:02 AM
QUOTE=Carheenlea;4722235]nd the author of maybe the best letter to ever appear in the Scotsman..[/QUOTE]

Do you have a link to said letter> I have never read it and am intrigued. :agree::thumbsup:

Dibben
07-06-2016, 08:07 AM
Sounds good. Will keep an eye out for this!

Finn2015
07-06-2016, 08:16 AM
This is a must buy!

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
07-06-2016, 09:25 AM
I know of another book coming out too.

Can never be too many imo!

hibbybob
07-06-2016, 09:41 AM
I know of another book coming out too.

Can never be too many imo!

114 years without any cup winning books - then two come along at once!!

Carheenlea
07-06-2016, 12:29 PM
Do you have a link to said letter> I have never read it and am intrigued. :agree::thumbsup:

Originally published in Scotland on Sunday, November 2009

Sir! -
I confess to permitting myself a wry chuckle on reading last week's front page headline "Irvine Welsh targets cheap booze" (News, 22nd November).
As a frequent drinking companion of the author for well over three decades, I can happily confirm for your readers that Irvine Welsh has indeed targeted cheap booze on numerous occasions, although perhaps not quite in the way your headline implied.
Indeed, this targeting has led to his direct consultation with - and subsequent temporary incarceration by - police officers on the vexing problem in question.

Sandy McNair

HibeesLittleHel
07-06-2016, 01:28 PM
Originally published in Scotland on Sunday, November 2009

Sir! -
I confess to permitting myself a wry chuckle on reading last week's front page headline "Irvine Welsh targets cheap booze" (News, 22nd November).
As a frequent drinking companion of the author for well over three decades, I can happily confirm for your readers that Irvine Welsh has indeed targeted cheap booze on numerous occasions, although perhaps not quite in the way your headline implied.
Indeed, this targeting has led to his direct consultation with - and subsequent temporary incarceration by - police officers on the vexing problem in question.

Sandy McNair

Nice :wink:

southsider
07-06-2016, 01:43 PM
Nice :wink:
I will buy the book for the name of it alone. Quite brilliant.

poolman
07-06-2016, 06:42 PM
Just left Sandy after having a few pints in the Diggers with him

He's hoping to have the book out for the start of the season

I'm sure it will be a good read as with all his other books

MassHibsteria
25-06-2016, 11:34 AM
I can exclusively reveal that Moonshine on Leith is now with the printer!

All being well, it will be launched on 9th July at a venue yet to be confirmed. I'll keep everyone informed via this thread.

Carheenlea
25-06-2016, 08:53 PM
I can exclusively reveal that Moonshine on Leith is now with the printer!

All being well, it will be launched on 9th July at a venue yet to be confirmed. I'll keep everyone informed via this thread.

Good stuff - and that will be some of the holiday reading material sorted :thumbsup:

MassHibsteria
02-07-2016, 10:31 AM
I'm very pleased to announce that Moonshine on Leith (all 328 pages!) will be launched next Friday (8 July) at the Chanter Pub, 30-32 Bread Street, from 6:30pm. Everyone is most welcome to attend, meet Sandy and have your copy signed. It's a bargain at only £11.99!

You will also be able to buy it from Blackwells on the South Bridge and Football Nation on Lothian Road. I'll update you via this thread when stock arrives; it'll most likely be next Saturday.

You can also order online via Witley Press's online store and Amazon. A Kindle version will also be available. I'll add links when it's added to the respective websites.

offshorehibby
02-07-2016, 10:41 AM
I'm very pleased to announce that Moonshine on Leith (all 328 pages!) will be launched next Friday (8 July) at the Chanter Pub, 30-32 Bread Street, from 6:30pm. Everyone is most welcome to attend, meet Sandy and have your copy signed. It's a bargain at only £11.99!

You will also be able to buy it from Blackwells on the South Bridge and Football Nation on Lothian Road. I'll update you via this thread when stock arrives; it'll most likely be next Saturday.

You can also order online via Witley Press's online store and Amazon. A Kindle version will also be available. I'll add links when it's added to the respective websites.

Great, that'll give me something to read on the Copenhagen journey.

MassHibsteria
09-07-2016, 08:55 AM
Moonshine on Leith launched last night at the Chanter in Bread Street, a great time had by all!

It's available for sale at Blackwells on South Bridge and online via the Witley Press store on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Moonshine-Leith-Hibernians-Scottish-Cup-Winning/dp/0993101216

I can do direct orders via PayPal too: £14 including P&P. Link here: paypal.me/masshibsteria (https://paypal.me/masshibsteria)

Carheenlea
09-07-2016, 08:16 PM
Will order a copy - looks to be a pretty substantial tome. A lot of Sandy's writings are recounting entertaining tales from distant times, so looking forward to reading a subject matter that I was very much part of :thumbsup:

MassHibsteria
10-07-2016, 06:51 PM
Will order a copy - looks to be a pretty substantial tome. A lot of Sandy's writings are recounting entertaining tales from distant times, so looking forward to reading a subject matter that I was very much part of :thumbsup:

Thanks, C, you'll really enjoy it. There are a couple of flashbacks, but most of the book relates to last season.

MassHibsteria
06-08-2016, 08:01 PM
Just being self-indulgent here - who's read MoL and what did you think of it?

BSEJVT
06-08-2016, 08:17 PM
Just being self-indulgent here - who's read MoL and what did you think of it?

Finished it today

Have to say I am a bit meh over it

The cup final and post cup final bits are over in a flash

Its well enough written and a better book than Time for Heroes, but like Time for Heroes doesn't do our cup win justice and reeks a bit of a book rushed out to profiteer from our cup win, when it is in fact more of a season diary.

MassHibsteria
06-08-2016, 08:28 PM
Finished it today

Have to say I am a bit meh over it

The cup final and post cup final bits are over in a flash

Its well enough written and a better book than Time for Heroes, but like Time for Heroes doesn't do our cup win justice and reeks a bit of a book rushed out to profiteer from our cup win, when it is in fact more of a season diary.

Thanks for the feedback, comrade.

It is a season diary, hence the subtitle "Hibernian's 2015/16 Scottish Cup winning season" :wink:

I'm sorry you thought it was rushed out; I can assure you that wasn't the case. It was a work in progress all season, with Sandy writing as the season progressed. It would've been published regardless of the cup win.