PDA

View Full Version : Lovers, Fans and Rivals

Dashing Bob S
06-06-2016, 03:55 PM
Anybody have a partner who is as crazy about Hibs as they are? Or is passionate about a rival club?

I've been married three times and have had another two long-term relationships and several short-term ones, and I can only think of one partner who was a football zealot (for an English team, she was from down south). Thankfully, we never played her side in a friendly.

The others, including my present wife, haven't given much of a toss, or only professed mild interest in certain teams. Most I converted to Hibs, even if the 'conversion' only lasted as long as the relationship, and was usually on an 'if you can't beat them...' basis.

Hibby70
06-06-2016, 04:09 PM
No. Once had a girlfriend who kept on at me to take her to the football though. Took her to a derby at Easter Road in 91. It was a rather eventful occasion before during and after the game.

She didn't want to go again. Mission accomplished.

SeanWilson
06-06-2016, 04:10 PM
Anybody have a partner who is as crazy about Hibs as they are? Or is passionate about a rival club?

I've been married three times and have had another two long-term relationships and several short-term ones, and I can only think of one partner who was a football zealot (for an English team, she was from down south). Thankfully, we never played her side in a friendly.

The others, including my present wife, haven't given much of a toss, or only professed mild interest in certain teams. Most I converted to Hibs, even if the 'conversion' only lasted as long as the relationship, and was usually on an 'if you can't beat them...' basis.

my wife had no team and her old boy is a leeds united fan, so she didn't know to much about football... However, she quickly bought in to going to see hibs every weekend and is now just as bananas for the hibees! We now have three lads, who are also starting to get there with following the hibs - McGinn song and Stokesy's on fire being the songs of choice right now :greengrin

Craig_HFC
06-06-2016, 04:17 PM
My fiancée is a Hibby as is her whole family. She used to have season ticket with her dad and uncle but hasn't for a few years but has been to a few games this season including 21/05/2016. Her Gran worked in the Hibs club for years too.

Allant1981
06-06-2016, 04:23 PM
I used to go out with someone who worked at easter road on matchdays, is a big hibs fan. Her family are also so it was a bit of a bonus, the mrs has no interest in football at all and i think i regularly bore her!!

Ken
06-06-2016, 04:26 PM
Wife is a die hard Hibby too. We got married on the pitch (well pitchside) in 2016 with the rest of the wedding in the 1875 and Edinburgh Suites in the West. First and only choice for a wedding venue for both of us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MyJo
06-06-2016, 04:32 PM
Mrs MyJo is dyed in the wool hibby.

Was a season ticket holding, jambo hating, Barry Lavety loving hibs fan before me and is a season ticket holding, hun hating, Darren McGregor loving hibs fan now.

In the list of important things in her life im pretty certain i'm far lower than Hibs on it :greengrin

LustForLeith
06-06-2016, 04:38 PM
I was going to ask a question but not sure how to word it on a forum often viewed by youngsters...

But has anyone particularly enjoyed a love making session with a lady who happens to be a Hearts fan and made it a bit more vigorous because of the team they supported?!

Or was that just me?!:greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
06-06-2016, 04:50 PM
Great Brazilian film about this very topic. A ultra Corinthian Fan falls for the daughter of the President(?) of Palmeiras. As an aside these clubs cause grief to the point that games between São Paulo clubs away fans are banned indefinately.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0429743/ (http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0429743/)

Me ? Took the majority of my girlfriends to the footie. Most were jinxes. One got spooked - to be fair it was the day we got relegated by Dundee Utd...

Espoça vP and I met due to football but she hates the game - mainly having to put up with her fanatical dad listening to Palmeiras on the car radio or telly. She watches the national team just as well. She actually laughed when I told her the reason I was crying was reading Doolans interview about the heartbreak of leaving Hibs. (Feel the seethe ... But it passed) shes been a nag over the years to the point I enjoy watching football on telly less than I did - expectations were set ahead of the final...

I still don't think she really gets it although I suppose she summed it up once as "you found your tribe".

Tom Hart RIP
06-06-2016, 04:51 PM
Guy I worked with was Hearts mad and so was his wife. Both fanatics who went home and away and were very anti Hibs. They had season tickets on half way line high up in Wheatfield. Best seats at Tynie and hard to get. Then they had an unpleasant break up but neither would change seats so they just turned up every second week but not speak to each other. Serves them right.

Viva_Palmeiras
06-06-2016, 04:54 PM
So ladies day is gonna be met with mixed responses then ... ;)

greenlex
06-06-2016, 04:54 PM
Whoever gets my daughter is one lucky guy.

Danny_Hibee
06-06-2016, 05:00 PM
I was going to ask a question but not sure how to word it on a forum often viewed by youngsters...

But has anyone particularly enjoyed a love making session with a lady who happens to be a Hearts fan and made it a bit more vigorous because of the team they supported?!

:agree:
A Gorgie living season ticket holder!

The panoramic painting of Tynie was swiftly removed from above the bed on my arrival and there happened to be a conveniently placed maroon and white...emm...'rag' when required.

The wife had absolutely no interest in football before she met me and now loves going to Hibs games and will watch not only Hibs but any games now even when I'm not there!

KWJ
06-06-2016, 05:00 PM
Guy I worked with was Hearts mad and so was his wife. Both fanatics who went home and away and were very anti Hibs. They had season tickets on half way line high up in Wheatfield. Best seats at Tynie and hard to get. Then they had an unpleasant break up but neither would change seats so they just turned up every second week but not speak to each other. Serves them right.

Oh dear! :yw::faf:

Took one to a game, she didn't enjoy it which made me enjoy the game less. A dull win over Motherwell. Took her to a U21 derby at Tynie too, we got humped so that was that. We actually broke up partly due to me missing a gig with her to watch the first of Scotland's crushing defeats away to Georgia.

Tried to get the Canadian lass into it here but it was never happening. She was really kind to me after we lost the League Cup final...for a couple of hours and then she didn't understand why I wanted to sit in a windowless pub and wallow.

Ilovehibs
06-06-2016, 05:01 PM

That is some scoring record Dashing Bob.

Topographic Hibby
06-06-2016, 05:24 PM
Married to a blue-nose (not a match goer).

She was genuinely pleased for us eventually beating that hoodoo, even if was against "her team"

Saying that, you she hear her about Lennon maybe getting the Hibs gig.....!!!!!!

Pete
06-06-2016, 05:26 PM

:agree:

Lots of tribal, base instincts going on that I won't even pretend to understand.

NAE NOOKIE
06-06-2016, 05:40 PM
Was married twice before my current relationship which has been 10 years now. None of them had / have any interest in football whatsoever ..... they just don't get it .......... this weekend my partner was asked by her friend what I was doing while she was out visiting him and she told him all she had to do was sit me in front of a picture of some grass with a ball on it and I would be happy until she got home.

To be fair she sometimes walks about the house singing 'ooh, ooh, ooh to be, ooh to be a Hibby :greengrin

biggineurope
06-06-2016, 06:01 PM
The other half is a Portuguese Yam, she likes her fitba and has her photo with the Scottish Cup sitting on oor dining table (which Mogga my cat keeps knocking onto the floor). I've sat with my back to it since she got it. However, in the near future her photo will be joined and outclassed by my portrait with the Scottish Cup, it'll be bigger,better and if the cat goes near it he'll be flung oot the windae.

Blocks Biloxi
06-06-2016, 06:41 PM
Chelsea (I know) but honorary Hibby. Her first full game was the Falkirk play-off semi at Quinn's so she's had her baptism of fire.

Apparently she watched the first half of the final casually at home, on mute, but by the final 10 minutes was screaming and crying with the rest of us.

She'll do.

Super_JMcGinn
06-06-2016, 06:45 PM
Married to a blue-nose (not a match goer).

She was genuinely pleased for us eventually beating that hoodoo, even if was against "her team"

Saying that, you she hear her about Lennon maybe getting the Hibs gig.....!!!!!!
I can relate to most of that :agree:

jamieross
06-06-2016, 07:08 PM
My mrs is fairly into football, not a Hibs fan as such, although she does have strip though. Don't think I've taken her to a game yet where we've won. She even sat through the Malmo humiliation.

Finn2015
06-06-2016, 07:22 PM
Wife is a stoke supporter, used to be a season ticket holder til we had the kids.

MoscowHibs
06-06-2016, 07:52 PM
I used to go out wi a lassie, who's auld man, an ex councillor, and brother were jambo's daft. I don't know what hacked him off the most, the fact I managed to get a Hibs scarf round her neck, or the fact she wis getting banged by a Hibby.

leither17
06-06-2016, 07:57 PM
I used to go out wi a lassie, who's auld man, an ex councillor, and brother were jambo's daft. I don't know what hacked him off the most, the fact I managed to get a Hibs scarf round her neck, or the fact she wis getting banged by a Hibby.

We have a winner

Sweet Left Peg
06-06-2016, 08:02 PM
Mrs SLP couldn't give a rat's erchie about football. She cannot understand why our Cup win made me so happy and that there was so much emotion about the day and why I watch the game on repeat and why nothing else in life makes me so ecstatic or deflated. I think I tried to explain once... Hibby folk ken the score...

DaveF
06-06-2016, 08:08 PM
My wife is a pretend yam (via her Dad) but shows no interest in football other than to casually ask the score every time I come back from a game.

After the final (when I fell in the door) she blabbed on about for it days, showing me clips on facebook to the point where I had to tell her to shut the hell up.

She's now back to being not interested again :greengrin

Bostonhibby
06-06-2016, 08:15 PM
When I met my now wife over 30 years ago she presented what seemed to be excellent Hibs credentials but you can never be too sure when there were upwards of 400,000 yams in the city even in those days, so being ever conscious of being targeted I set a few tests - a home game against a very good Dundee Utd side in the rain on a Wednesday night, a trip to Ibrox to be spat on (and the huns didn't fail to deliver), only drinking in the Royal Nip on a Saturday, A romantic weekend in Paisley to see us play St Mirren...............I could go on.

As she drove me all the way back home from the party in Leith after our momentous cup win over Sevco, and god knows how many trips up for games I decided she was probably a Hibby all along.

HFC07
06-06-2016, 08:18 PM
Mrs Hfc07 is a blue nose, she doesn't go to games much and refrained from singing the bile songs. She was very happy to see Hibs win the Scottish cup and is actually genuinely happy for the Hibees.

Scouse Hibee
06-06-2016, 08:30 PM
When I met my wife 26 years ago she introduced me to Hibs via her Dad. Two years later when I moved here, she bought me my first Hibs season ticket to soften the blow of giving up my Liverpool ST. I'm not sure if I have forgiven her yet.

FranckSuzy
06-06-2016, 08:30 PM
When I met my now wife over 30 years ago she presented what seemed to be excellent Hibs credentials but you can never be too sure when there were upwards of 400,000 yams in the city even in those days, so being ever conscious of being targeted I set a few tests - a home game against a very good Dundee Utd side in the rain on a Wednesday night, a trip to Ibrox to be spat on (and the huns didn't fail to deliver), only drinking in the Royal Nip on a Saturday, A romantic weekend in Paisley to see us play St Mirren...............I could go on.

As she drove me all the way back home from the party in Leith after our momentous cup win over Sevco, and god knows how many trips up for games I decided she was probably a Hibby all along.

:faf:

eastterrace
06-06-2016, 08:51 PM
Took my wife when we were winching to a Wednesday night game about 33 years ago against st.mirren Steve Cowan scored a hat trick we won 3-0 . But wasn't really till mcleish was manager that we got season tickets and we have had them ever since . She went to a few games back in the seventies but only cause she liked Eric shaedler legs.

marinello59
06-06-2016, 08:56 PM
I wasn't sure about Mrs M59's Hibby credentials until she ran on to the Hampden pitch and punched a Hun.

hibs69
06-06-2016, 09:02 PM
All my adult life, I've wondered what it'd be like to have a wife who's intae the fitbaw. Must be great. First wife, nae danger, present wife, definitely nae danger. Must be great to share the sheer emotion of it all with a woman.

Anyone got some violin music right about now? :(

Bostonhibby
06-06-2016, 09:06 PM
All my adult life, I've wondered what it'd be like to have a wife who's intae the fitbaw. Must be great. First wife, nae danger, present wife, definitely nae danger. Must be great to share the sheer emotion of it all with a woman.

Anyone got some violin music right about now? :(
My wife's sisters a good hibby. I'll send her round[emoji6]

Jonnyboy
06-06-2016, 09:10 PM
I wasn't sure about Mrs M59's Hibby credentials until she ran on to the Hampden pitch and punched a Hun.

StevieC
06-06-2016, 09:10 PM

Post of the thread! :greengrin

MyJo
06-06-2016, 09:11 PM

I know its a bit of a cliché to say stuff like spat my coffee on the screen etc but I was genuinely mid gulp when i read that and couldn't stop myself from snorting with laughter causing my drink to end up over my face.

brilliant

LancashireHibby
06-06-2016, 09:22 PM
I met my other half through watching Bolton. We both have season tickets but she sits with her mate and I sit elsewhere in the same stand with my mates. She's come to the odd Hibs game and came to the League Cup Final this season and is pleased when we win, but to be fair she hasn't grown up supporting us like I have so obviously isn't as emotionally invested as the rest of us. Die hard Bolton fan in fairness though.

Bishop Hibee
06-06-2016, 09:39 PM
Mrs Bishop is supremely uninterested in the beautiful game although she has seen Hibs play on 4 occasions, a 0-0 and the last ever game on the terracing finishing 1-0 v the huns, the 1991 League Cup Final and a 5-1 win over East Fife. Better record than most! Honourable mention for attending the HoH rally at ER, the Usher Hall concert and this year's cup parade.

Really heading back in the time machine, myself and a Hibs supporting mate took two young ladies, one a Man City fan, the other Hammer. on a double date of sorts to Tiny for a derby in the 80's. The game ended in a dour draw if memory serves but is more memorable for the mayhem on Gorgie Road afterwards. Romantic it wasn't :tee hee:

NadeAteMyLunch!
06-06-2016, 09:47 PM
The wife is a Hibs fan. Had a season ticket most of her life growing up but doesn't get to many games these days. Gets right into it still when she is there but can switch off pretty quickly after a sore result whereas it will ruin my entire weekend. Don't think that will ever change.

Renfrew_Hibby
06-06-2016, 10:21 PM
Wife and in laws are all St.Mirren fans... The last couple of years have been a barrel of laughs!

ArmadaleHibs
06-06-2016, 10:26 PM
My other half and ALL her family are hertz ****z. Not their fault. Defo not her fault.

Since she met me its been Hibs Hibs Hibs. Several years now. She put her dad in his place when he was gutted we won the cup by simply saying " Hibs yah bass"

That's my girl. That's how you turn them

Ggtth