PDA

View Full Version : NHC Best Euros team?

Mibbes Aye
05-06-2016, 06:29 PM
Good article on the Guardian website (https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/05/france-holland-spain-best-ever-euros-team), discussing the best team to play in the Euros, with some great links to clips.

Some good lines by the writer - "...Franz Beckenbauer was sort of the original John Stones" :faf:

Difficult one for me, probably France 84 played the sexiest football, but Spain in 08 and Holland in 88 are contenders. I was too young to have seen the 72 Germans but I can imagine how imperious they must have been with that spine, plus the other players.

hibsbollah
05-06-2016, 06:33 PM
France 84 for me. That midfield; Giresse, Tigana, Platini at the centre of everything, Fernandez was the last of the four iirc?

The Portugal game was just football heaven.

Mibbes Aye
05-06-2016, 06:35 PM
France 84 for me. That midfield; Giresse, Tigana, Platini at the centre of everything, Fernandez was the last of the four iirc?

:agree:

That and Italy-Brazil from the WC two years earlier are the two non-Hibs games that are perfect for me.

Billy Whizz
05-06-2016, 06:40 PM

Was that that the game Platini scored the winner

Bronson
05-06-2016, 07:06 PM
Who do we fancy for the euros this year? Can't pick a winner myself, would back France if their defence wasn't so poor. Inclined to say Germany again but just seems too obvious:hmmm:

pontius pilate
05-06-2016, 08:30 PM
I've gone for france @ 3/1 and a France Germany final @ 14/1 plus I'll get a free bet everytime france score

GreenNWhiteArmy
05-06-2016, 08:39 PM
I've gone for france @ 3/1 and a France Germany final @ 14/1 plus I'll get a free bet everytime france score

Pretty sure if results go to plan then they meet in the semis mate?

I've got a few winners/top scorer doubles on. Most realistic? France/Griezmann or Germany/Muller also got a few quid on Wales/Bale @ 500/1

Smartie
05-06-2016, 09:07 PM
It was the earliest Euros I can remember but I can't remember anyone ever being better than the Dutch in 1988.

Van Basten was finished way too soon so it was good to have an abiding memory of him at his best at a tournament. That volley…...

Ruud Gullit was brilliant as well.

There's something a bit special about that orange strip when the Dutch are playing well.

DH1875
05-06-2016, 09:44 PM
Surely has to be Denmark in 92 does it not :confused:.

LustForLeith
05-06-2016, 09:45 PM
It was the earliest Euros I can remember but I can't remember anyone ever being better than the Dutch in 1988.

Van Basten was finished way too soon so it was good to have an abiding memory of him at his best at a tournament. That volley…...

Ruud Gullit was brilliant as well.

There's something a bit special about that orange strip when the Dutch are playing well.

Agree with this. Maybe it was because it was the first tournament I remember watching, enjoying and being excited about. But that Dutch team could have played the best football I've seen from an international team.

And to think they were the spine of the Milan team who were the last side to win back yo back European Cups