PDA

View Full Version : What a season it was!

05-06-2016, 05:17 AM
Now, having time to reflect on the season it really has dawned on me how much of a rollercoaster it was. We are hibs fans, we are certainly no starngers to being put through the mill and having many ups and downs but this season in particular was absolutely packed with some amazing times (as well as some lows).

Highs -

Paul Hanlon winner against sevco at ER
Malongas last minute goal at ER against QoS to take us level on points with the huns
League cup semi final victory at tincastle
The come back v hearts at tincastle in the last minute
The surprise Stokes signing in January
The reply win in from of a packed ER under the floodlights
3-2 win over sevco
Semi-final shoot out drama
Winning the SC
The Victory parade in from of 150K hibees

Lows -

The march/april period when we really hit the skids and said goodbye to any title hopes
The League cup final
Loosing to sevco at ibrox just before new year
Malonga leaving
Loosing to Falkirk in the last minute to keep us down

hibsbollah
05-06-2016, 05:54 AM
I posted very similar, but you left out arguably our finest complete performance of the season, beating Aberdeen 2-0 in the cup, who nobody was getting close to in the top tier, with two of the finest goals you're ever likely to see. Cracking atmosphere under the lights too.

It's been a bipolar season alright. With a perfect ending.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-06-2016, 06:14 AM
He brought it home
he brought it home
he brought it
Stubbsy brought it home...

Finn2015
05-06-2016, 06:29 AM
I posted very similar, but you left out arguably our finest complete performance of the season, beating Aberdeen 2-0 in the cup, who nobody was getting close to in the top tier, with two of the finest goals you're ever likely to see. Cracking atmosphere under the lights too.

Definitely and beating top division sides has been a good indication that really, there isn't much difference and I personally believe a top division of 18-20 teams is feasible

IanFaeClerrie
05-06-2016, 08:59 AM
My wife is the best judge of our season reacting to my daughter son and me coming home from the games. She says this was the most frustrated, exasperated and sometimes furious she has ever seen us. Alloa away in the rain, Dumbarton midweek or whenever it was , Greenock on a Tuesday night or was it Dumfries? Before the final, we would have been happy to not see Stokes, Henderson, McGowan or Stubbs for a long time. As Lewis said (I think in April), 'we've not played well since before Christmas'. We should have won the league, we should have beaten County, we should have played much better as a team but again we had to watch an inexperienced manager with a talented bunch of players. Three weeks ago made it a success.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

NAE NOOKIE
05-06-2016, 11:40 AM
Without doubt this has been the most mental season Hibs have had in decades .... just about every game had meaning to it .. 50 odd games without a dead rubber to be had.

It is disappointing that we didn't get promoted and there is no doubt that that was our main goal, which we didn't achieve ..... but if somebody had said our consolation would be winning the Scottish cup how many Hibbies would have went 'nah yer awright' ...... In exchange for the best weekend in my footballing life I for one would have forgone a hundred promotions.

Its only due to bad luck IMO that we aint sitting with two cups in the cabinet and that would have made this arguably the best season in the clubs history.

Mind you ..... next season I'll settle for our last 10 games being boring end of season nothing matches if its because we have sewn the league up :greengrin

We might not be the biggest football club on the planet ..... but we sure as hell are the least boring to follow :aok:

Finn2015
05-06-2016, 11:49 AM
Without doubt this has been the most mental season Hibs have had in decades .... just about every game had meaning to it .. 50 odd games without a dead rubber to be had.

It is disappointing that we didn't get promoted and there is no doubt that that was our main goal, which we didn't achieve ..... but if somebody had said our consolation would be winning the Scottish cup how many Hibbies would have went 'nah yer awright' ...... In exchange for the best weekend in my footballing life I for one would have forgone a hundred promotions.

Its only due to bad luck IMO that we aint sitting with two cups in the cabinet and that would have made this arguably the best season in the clubs history.

Mind you ..... next season I'll settle for our last 10 games being boring end of season nothing matches if its because we have sewn the league up :greengrin

We might not be the biggest football club on the planet ..... but we sure as hell are the least boring to follow :aok:

I'd agree and it's a good way of looking at it I suppose. Unlike a few other clubs, at least we can say with hibs that life is never dull!

BOB MARLEYS DUG
05-06-2016, 05:16 PM
The LC semi at Tynie was one of my favourite Hibs games!

Stax
05-06-2016, 06:36 PM
Promotion was obviously the main goal but I tell you what, reaching both finals of our national cup competitions from the 2nd division. Don't think that will ever happen again, never mind we only went and won the F ***** Scottish. Obviously the best moment of my & my family's life as a fan this season but looking back there was many more. A lot of sh*** as well though just to remind us we're Hibees, Barry... GGTTH

southsider
05-06-2016, 09:13 PM
I am convinced that if we had beat Falkirk I the play off we would have lost at Hampden. We had a week to rest up when they slept. Last 15 we killed them. We won the Scottish Cup. Oldest football trophy in the world .

Northernhibee
05-06-2016, 09:19 PM
21st of May 2016 was one of the very best days of my life. Promotion will happen, that day was once in a lifetime. I wouldn't trade being there for anything in the world. To think I'll never experience that emotion when Gray's header hit the back of the net is very bittersweet.

seanoheimhin
05-06-2016, 09:44 PM

Here, here! Apart from the obvious, that was probably my game of the season for us. Great atmosphere and showed what we were capable of.

Definitely a bittersweet season, but probably the most memorable I've ever had as a football fan.

LustForLeith
05-06-2016, 09:50 PM

Agree with this. Gutted we're not in the top flight next season and Barr another winning trip to Hampden I'll quite happily take a few meaningless games if we've already won it.

Here's hoping

06-06-2016, 10:45 AM

Agreed. Dundee Utd at ER in the league cup was also a great night. Hibs played wonderful that night (arguably against a very poor Utd team but nevertheless) , 3-0 didn't flatter us at all, in fact it should have been at least 4 or 5.

Centre Hawf
06-06-2016, 02:34 PM
Agreed. Dundee Utd at ER in the league cup was also a great night. Hibs played wonderful that night (arguably against a very poor Utd team but nevertheless) , 3-0 didn't flatter us at all, in fact it should have been at least 4 or 5.

Agreed. We were perfect that night. The team smelt blood that night and went for it. Walked away proud as anything in the hunger shown.

Aberdeen for me was amazing. Malonga's goal was just a stunning bit of quality.

I genuinely don't think we'll ever see a season like this one for a while. I love this club and the journey with it breaks your heart and then makes you fall in love all over again days later.

GreenCastle
06-06-2016, 02:39 PM
Could do the double next season if you include the Mickey Mouse Petrofanic Cup.

Should have done the double this season if we played 3-5-2 against Ross County in the league cup final.