PDA

View Full Version : So, you're the new Hibs manager elect - what do you change?

TheFamous1875
04-06-2016, 05:12 PM
You've came in to a club who've just won the national trophy, have a talented squad of young players who can play the right way - some of your players are out of contract, some due to be the subject of transfer speculation.

You've got the biggest budget in the league, you're the 'biggest' club in the league and you're expected to win the league championship this year.

So, what do you do?

How do you set up your team? What do you change from the last two years? What do you continue with? Who do you let go, who do you keep and who do you sign up?

JohnMcM
04-06-2016, 05:16 PM
You've came in to a club who've just won the national trophy, have a talented squad of young players who can play the right way - some of your players are out of contract, some due to be the subject of transfer speculation.

You've got the biggest budget in the league, you're the 'biggest' club in the league and you're expected to win the league championship this year.

So, what do you do?

How do you set up your team? What do you change from the last two years? What do you continue with? Who do you let go, who do you keep and who do you sign up?

For sure, I would change the strength of the Bovril at Dumbarton to something more meaningful and substantial.:wink:

Pedantic_Hibee
04-06-2016, 05:17 PM
Jason Cummings' hairdresser.

Northernhibee
04-06-2016, 05:29 PM
Not a massive amount. Tweaks rather than sweeping changes.

Greenworld
04-06-2016, 05:51 PM
New goalie...new center midfield ..new forward...resign hanlon...try to get Henderson on loan again and that's it ..oh left back cover

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Onion
04-06-2016, 05:53 PM
Solid backbone is the basis of every successful side - goalie, CH, CM, CF and let the rest have fun.

FifeHibs
04-06-2016, 05:53 PM
Goals from midfield!

Just Jimmy
04-06-2016, 05:57 PM
Pace pace and pace

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

corby hibee
04-06-2016, 05:58 PM
Keep it as it is but get another 20 goal a season striker to partner cummings if he stays.

Waxy
04-06-2016, 05:58 PM
Yes goals from right throughout the team.
Feels like we've been freed from a Scottish cup prison.
It was really really horrible in that prison but now we're free.It's good to be free. Sorry lost the plot for a moment there :)

Finn2015
04-06-2016, 06:02 PM
Have to shore up and strengthen the defence which was to leaky lately. That's the first priority and to win any league, you have to be tight at the back

MWHIBBIES
04-06-2016, 06:08 PM
New goalie...new center midfield ..new forward...resign hanlon...try to get Henderson on loan again and that's it ..oh left back cover

Fyvie, Bartley, McGinn and McGeouch, we really dont need new center mids.

Greenworld
04-06-2016, 06:10 PM
Fyvie, Bartley, McGinn and McGeouch, we really dont need new center mids.
All good players but I would like more goals from midfield mcginn aside don't feel we get enough

Eyrie
04-06-2016, 06:24 PM
I look at how the opposition frustrated us and recognise the need to play with more width and tempo. Having proper wide players will speed up our attacks and reduce the pressure on our full backs, allowing them to provide solidity at the back with the occasional overlap.

Then I look at the squad I've inherited.

GK - Is Oxley my #1, or do I extend Logan, or can I find someone better? Probably go with Logan.

RB - Gray is the starter, so Gunnarson offers both depth and cover at CH.
CH - Keep Hanlon to partner McGregor with Fontaine as first reserve. Reluctantly let Forster go because he won't get much game time.
LB - Stevenson, so need cover. Is Crane ready, or do I need to find someone?

CM - McGinn, McGeouch, Fyvie, Bartley, Martin. Ye gods, but am I lucky?
Wide - Boyle, Carmichael. I need at least one more option here, and preferably two.

Strikers - Cummings, Keatings, Insall. I need at least one and probably two here, who can offer height and strength so I can have partnerships. Doubt I'll get Stokes back, but may be worth a try if Cummings won't sign an extension because he'll be sold.

Harris, Stanton and Handling will be allowed to find a new club because they're not going to see much game time.

It's a short shopping list for Craig and Dempster - one LB, two wide men and two forwards.

Bostonhibby
04-06-2016, 06:26 PM
Wingers and be able to use them when I need to change a game or close a game down

yekimevol
04-06-2016, 06:38 PM
You don't change anything, you take Allegri's approach when he took over Juventus. You come in and just try to continue the good work. After that you try to improve it e.g. at hibs some pace and width maybe a physical presence up top.

hibsbollah
04-06-2016, 06:41 PM
I look at how the opposition frustrated us and recognise the need to play with more width and tempo. Having proper wide players will speed up our attacks and reduce the pressure on our full backs, allowing them to provide solidity at the back with the occasional overlap.

GK - Is Oxley my #1, or do I extend Logan, or can I find someone better? Probably go with Logan.

CH - Keep Hanlon to partner McGregor with Fontaine as first reserve. Reluctantly let Forster go because he won't get much game time.

Wide - Boyle, Carmichael. I need at least one more option here, and preferably two.

Strikers - Cummings, Keatings, Insall. I need at least one and probably two here, who can offer height and strength so I can have partnerships. Doubt I'll get Stokes back, but may be worth a try if Cummings won't sign an extension because he'll be sold.

Harris, Stanton and Handling will be allowed to find a new club because they're not going to see much game time.

It's a short shopping list for Craig and Dempster - one LB, two wide men and two forwards.

Agree with this.

blackpoolhibs
04-06-2016, 06:43 PM
New keeper, 2 new full backs and a big strong centre forward.

Harsh on a couple of them but needed in my opinion.

Deansy
04-06-2016, 06:47 PM
Put a permanent end to our '2nd half of the season' displays/results !!

JohnMcM
04-06-2016, 07:31 PM
Many thoughtful and intelligent posts here. BUT, let's keep our eye on the ball here, what about the Bovril at Dumbarton?

Bostonhibby
04-06-2016, 07:35 PM
Many thoughtful and intelligent posts here. BUT, let's keep our eye on the ball here, what about the Bovril at Dumbarton?

It wasn't Bovril so probably best to just let go? Hot water and gravel off the car park, all for the same price as wallpaper paste and sawdust filled pies at ER?:wink:

renato
04-06-2016, 07:52 PM

Yep, agree with all of this. Especially the pace, width and tempo, although to be fair there's been a shed load of us saying this for over a year now...

Let's hope the new guy shares the same view and takes us to the next level.

GreenLake
04-06-2016, 07:54 PM
Add league winning attributes to a brilliant cup winning team.

Humo
04-06-2016, 08:28 PM

Think you've got it spot on there. Only thing I'd add is a replacement for Henderson.
Fatigue and tiredness really set in late season so more rotation wouldn't be a bad shout either.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

Smartie
04-06-2016, 08:49 PM
I'd start by asking all current players if they're up for the season ahead. Anyone who is not has a fortnight to get themselves their move away otherwise they're staying until at least January. No nonsense will be tolerated whilst we're preparing.

Everyone who was at the club has a chance to impress and that includes Stanton, Harris and Handling. Any one of these three might yet prove their worth, at least as squad players and they might relish being in the last chance saloon.

I wouldn't want to change much at all. I'd be happy to go into the new season with our current 2 keepers, if either of them wanted away then they'd get replaced.

Happy with all of the defenders, Crane to be kept as cover for Stevenson and Gunnarson to be retained as cover for the entire back four.

I'd hope to see a lot more from Carmichael next season and I'd play Boyle a lot more often but I'd still want another player to play wide, ideally a quick left winger. I'd pull out all the stops to get Henderson back, he was superb.

Up front I'd want to know what Cummings' plans are - if his heart's not in it, he goes. If he stays then I think we need another big striker to replace Farid (John Sutton would do) and then a replacement for Cummings if he went. I'd like to see Insall get a chance and I also think that Keatings has the potential to score a bucketload in this league if played in the right position with the right players around him.

We don't need wholesale changes, imo we just need a bit more pace and width in the final third and a big, strong striker to bully defenders.

We also need to play with a bit more intensity, getting the wingers running at fullbacks.

Edit - just saw Eyrie's post - pretty much spot on, I agree entirely. Other than the fact that I'd hang onto Harris, Stanton and Handling.

CalgaryHibs
04-06-2016, 10:23 PM

So, what do you do?

Cliff pike as the new gaffer !

J-C
05-06-2016, 12:29 AM
New Keeper, re sign Hanlon, promote Crane to cover for Lewis and give him game time in smaller cups, look for an attacking mid that can unlock defences ( someone like Shinnie ), a left winger/midfielder to balance the team out and a big striker that can cause the opposition defence problems.

I feel Cummings may want away, I'd take the money and invest in the team, I like 4-2-3-1 which can become 4-3-3/4-5-1 and play the game at a high tempo.

Edit: pretty much the same as Eyrie and Smartie.

Ryan69
05-06-2016, 01:41 AM
Loan arrangements with a club like Barcelona,Bayern,Milan,Arsenal...whoever!

3 top quality players.....That wouldn't cost us much.

It's professional game time.
Imagine 3 best Barcelona Youth team players came and in the same team.
Would cost nada!
Beneficial for them in a way too.....

We need to make sure we get out of this league! 👏

GreenNWhiteArmy
05-06-2016, 02:28 AM

Nailed it

Said in another tread - the days of offloading deadwood seem to be long gone with a largely young and entertaining side. We are well equipped to have a steady starting 11 whereas Dundee United (our main contenders) will have a high squad turnover I'd imagine therefore taking longer to gel

Vault Boy
05-06-2016, 04:20 AM
With a strong core in the squad, there can be even more emphasis on our newfound philosophy of 'quality over quantity.' 2 or 3 first-rate signings on top of some contract extensions could really see us up next season.

Yorkshire HFC
05-06-2016, 05:03 AM
Interesting that most people don't seem to think we need to change much - from the team that has twice failed to get out of this league - especially as we seem resigned to losing Stokes, Henderson and possibly Cummings.

i think we need wholesale changes - although finances may mean this doesn't happen.

Greenworld
05-06-2016, 06:06 AM
Nailed it

Said in another tread - the days of offloading deadwood seem to be long gone with a largely young and entertaining side. We are well equipped to have a steady starting 11 whereas Dundee United (our main contenders) will have a high squad turnover I'd imagine therefore taking longer to gel
Falkirk will have much the same squad if not strengthened
Raith did fantastically well and Dundee utd will all be there abouts that why we need to add more quality including a great goalkeeper

Greenworld
05-06-2016, 06:36 AM
Nailed it

Not Falkirk

steakbake
05-06-2016, 07:48 AM
1 - Get the date of the calendar signing in the diary. Put in request for 'No orange juice' and make sure it's not on a night when Chelsea are playing.

2 - Find replacement for Cummings, Stokes and Henderson. Get Gunnarson tied in on a deal and same for Hanlon.

3 - A new keeper but also give Virtanen some game time.

southern hibby
05-06-2016, 08:41 AM
Make no mistake who ever comes in needs to work at our defending at the back post. For 2 seasons Falkirk have managed to exploit it. Last game of the season ( Cup final) Miller exploited it.

Need speed on the wings. Also need a big striker that can bully defenders.

Last but most important we need a manager who can motivate and gel the team like AS did, but that can also change formations and substitutions when needed not 15-20 minutes later than everyone expects it.

GGTTH

gogsy23
05-06-2016, 09:17 AM
Our cm four are good but how many games did fyvie and mcgeough miss through injury? And as said we desperetly need midfield goals. Our defenders have scored very important goals..gray,hanlon and mcgregor even gunnarsons winner against the rangers but midfields contribution has been posted missing. And thats not a complaint against hard work,skill or fight from them. Pat mcginlay please!!

Waxy
05-06-2016, 09:21 AM
Our cm four are good but how many games did fyvie and mcgeough miss through injury? And as said we desperetly need midfield goals. Our defenders have scored very important goals..gray,hanlon and mcgregor even gunnarsons winner against the rangers but midfields contribution has been posted missing. And thats not a complaint against hard work,skill or fight from them. Pat mcginlay please!!
Pat wouldnt be able to run from box to box like he used to. Would be cheap though at his age.

worcesterhibby
05-06-2016, 09:21 AM
Add a big striker who can win headers to our team and we will win the league.

Septimus
05-06-2016, 02:32 PM
OH for a Billy Houliston!

LustForLeith
06-06-2016, 05:41 AM
Really want a good, old fashioned poacher at Hibs. we've been blessed with some of the most naturally gifted strikers at Easter Road such as Deeks, Griffiths and now Cummings who'll have a shot from anywhere. Now all I want is a twenty odd goals a season greedy so and so!

CRAZYHIBBY
06-06-2016, 07:58 AM
I'd go with a 1-1-9 formation with John Collins six pack as a sweeper.....the mere sight of it would make the opposition tremble then our 9 front men will be able to break down their 10 man defences

GloryGlory
06-06-2016, 08:03 AM
I'd go with a 1-1-9 formation with John Collins six pack as a sweeper.....the mere sight of it would make the opposition tremble then our 9 front men will be able to break down their 10 man defences

No goalie? :greengrin

The Leith Dutch
06-06-2016, 08:56 AM
Have to shore up and strengthen the defence which was to leaky lately. That's the first priority and to win any league, you have to be tight at the back

It surprises me that so many people think this.
We conceded exactly the same amount of goals in the league as the Rangers and Falkirk yet lost about twice as many games.

It's also not a great way to deploy our budget as realistically you'd have to sign some very high quality players to make a meaningful improvement on the 34 goals we conceded last year.

We averaged less than a goal against per game so the defence was pretty decent overall - our massive problem was not scoring enough.
The number of games where we were hitting 15-20 shots, 5-10 shots on target and coming away with 1 or 2 goals was astonishing.

With those kind of numbers we should regularly be scoring 3 or 4 which massively mitigates the stupid goals we'll almost certainly still concede from time to time.

Defence wise I'd re-sign Hanlon and try to get Gunarson with probably a left back for cover.

We need goals from midfield, Pace to add an extra option and dimension in attack and we need to sort out the strikers.
Cummings is a good player but he could and should be getting more in the league at this level.
We need a partner for him as I don't think him and Keatings work together.

But goals. Far more goals.
I want every team in that league turning up expecting a hammering at Easter Road and being delighted with a point against us when they're at home.

CRAZYHIBBY
06-06-2016, 08:57 AM
No goalie? :greengrin

The six pack does not need a goalie

CapitalGreen
06-06-2016, 09:02 AM
Practice throw-ins

jodjam
06-06-2016, 09:05 AM
Jason Cummings' hairdresser.

Was a bet between him and Henderson. First one to get it cut paid out. Hence why pair of them had dodgy doos towards season end

CallumLaidlaw
06-06-2016, 09:07 AM
Practice throw-ins

More like Gray to Fyvie to Stokes in the 89th minute on the 21st May will do just fine! :greengrin (But I agree, in general, we are rank at throw ins and have been for years)

matty_f
06-06-2016, 09:14 AM
Try and get Henderson back.

GloryGlory
06-06-2016, 09:26 AM
The six pack does not need a goalie

Is it The Incredible Hulk? Right colour, anyway, would save on the price of a strip! :greengrin

neil7908
06-06-2016, 09:56 AM
I don't think huge changes are needed but we also can't let the cup win gloss over some of the frailties in the squad.

A lot will also depend on how the new manager wants to play. I'd imagine whatever happens the diamond will go.

I'm reasonably pleased with the keepers. In defence Gunnarrsson should be retained along with everyone else with the possible exception of Forster. I like Lewis but we need someone to provide a bit of competition and someone who has better delivery. He isn't brilliant going forward and we need a better attacking presence from that side of the pitch given how much of the ball we will have in most games next year.

We have great options in centre midfield but I also worry about how many goals are coming from that area. It might also seem harsh but I just can't see us needing to use Bartley and Fyvie much. I think there both good players but not what we'll need in the majority of games. With that in mind I would think about getting rid of one of them if it meant we could bring in an attack minded, goalscoring central midfielder. If the budget allows us to keep them both and bring someone else in then brilliant.

Another couple of wide players is an absolute must and the top item on the new managers list for me.

Finally, at least 1 big forward and maybe another to provide competition. Insall may turn-out to be brilliant but I think it's too early to rely on him. Take him out of the equation and it's just Cummings with a year left on his contract and Keatings.

J-C
06-06-2016, 10:27 AM

During our 20+ game undefeated run we had a very good defensive record but with injuries and playing twice a week our midfield started to get tired and that is when we started to ship a few goals, we were not defending from the midfield properly.

My biggest worry was we shipped goals to Falkirk with a full strength team, this I think is that mental weakness we have every so often, loss of concentration or just being able to see games out, maybe a new manager can sort out that side of our game.

WeeRussell
06-06-2016, 11:06 AM
I'd sign a goalkeeper and enquire about getting both Henderson and Scott Allan back.

I would include Stokes in the above but ain't gonna happen (even moreso than my two suggestions :greengrin)

Waxy
06-06-2016, 11:41 AM
I'd sign a goalkeeper and enquire about getting both Henderson and Scott Allan back.

I would include Stokes in the above but ain't gonna happen (even moreso than my two suggestions :greengrin)
Wonder if Scott Allan regrets last season seeing us win the cup and all the other razamataz that went on with us. It was all a bit epic, up and down with the best ending. Saying that we wouldnt have won it had we not had Dylan, Liam and Anthony. So cheers for that Mr Allan.

biotech
06-06-2016, 11:54 AM
I'd recruit:

1. A big target man striker who gives us a different option up front.

2. Look to replace Stevenson, at full back, he can be a defensive liability. I'd retain him as an option in midfield. Here he can and some much needed drive to complement or fair players.

3. I'd ask Stubbs who he was planning to recruit!

BSEJVT
06-06-2016, 12:04 PM
For me it would be pace and width

That and starting the season on the front foot rather than the back and not having to consequently play catch up would make a huge difference

I think we are okay defensively if we get Hanlon & Gunnarson / Forster back, I would put Oxley back in as Cup Semi apart Logan looked no better

A fit McGeouch & Carmichael would help but having lost Henderson, we need an equivalent replacement, that and one other fast winger.

Even if Cummings stays we need two new forwards.

Keatings will score goals, but I am not sure I would rely on him to play every week as he looked lost when he was on that barren scoring run.

My preference would be a modern day Mixu / Brewster.

Someone who knew where the goals were but with the ability to hold the ball up and challenge in the air.

jacomo
06-06-2016, 12:49 PM
Agree with a lot of that.

I am not sure we need a direct replacement for Hendo. We are well catered for in central midfield - I still have hopes that either Stanton or Handling can fight for a place too.

I'd like us to play with at least one genuine wide player every week. I would love Harris to come back and make an impact but, if not, we need to sign someone who can play wide left.

We need quality upfront.

portyhibernian
06-06-2016, 12:59 PM
Wouldn't mind the new boss giving Stanton a chance to impress, I think there's a player in there. Beyond that, I'd look at bringing in a left midfielder, cover at left back and one or two strikers. Get Hanlon signed up and see if we can have Gunnarrson back. Like has been said already, a few tweaks are all that's required.

LustForLeith
06-06-2016, 01:14 PM
I was reading a piece in a paper about players who are currently without a club. Quite interesting as the likes of Charlie Mulgrew is waiting on a new deal at Celtic (I know even if we did get Neil Lennons it's unlikely we'd get Mulgrew). I also noticed that the Scotland player Greer has been released by Brighton and is looking for another club, even if it's at a level lower than he's at. Also noticed that Craig Slater has been released if memory serves me right he was a great prospect at Killie until he got injured.

What happens with players nearing the end of their contract? Can clubs contact them and there agents before their contract ends to put an offer on the table? And when you're out of contract is that it - you need to wait until you get picked up by another club?

jacomo
06-06-2016, 01:18 PM
What happens with players nearing the end of their contract? Can clubs contact them and there agents before their contract ends to put an offer on the table? And when you're out of contract is that it - you need to wait until you get picked up by another club?

Players whose contracts run out this summer have been free to speak to other clubs since January.

Unseen work
06-06-2016, 01:19 PM
A goalkeeper that can win us games
Sign luke leahy from falkirk
New right back as can't rely on gray for a whole season
2 wingers
Big physical striker

Also will be interesting what the new managers thoughts are on Stanton handling and Harris.

The last 2 seemed to really rate handling when they first came in

LustForLeith
06-06-2016, 01:21 PM
Players whose contracts run out this summer have been free to speak to other clubs since January.

Cheers!

So if a player is at a club, nearing the end of his contract his current club will put an offer on the table for him for after his contract ends while other clubs can do the same?

Should really pay more attention to Champ Manager!

TheFamous1875
06-06-2016, 02:13 PM
For me it would be pace and width

That and starting the season on the front foot rather than the back and not having to consequently play catch up would make a huge difference

I think we are okay defensively if we get Hanlon & Gunnarson / Forster back, I would put Oxley back in as Cup Semi apart Logan looked no better

A fit McGeouch & Carmichael would help but having lost Henderson, we need an equivalent replacement, that and one other fast winger.

Even if Cummings stays we need two new forwards.

Keatings will score goals, but I am not sure I would rely on him to play every week as he looked lost when he was on that barren scoring run.

My preference would be a modern day Mixu / Brewster.

Someone who knew where the goals were but with the ability to hold the ball up and challenge in the air.

Farid with knees, really. :aok:

HibsNutter
06-06-2016, 02:24 PM
Nothing major, more important to keep momentum from the cup win with the current players on a high being held, especially McGinn, Hanlon, Cummings etc.

I'm sure Lennon will want to bring in a wide player (or two if Carmichael isn't going to be back) to allow us to stretch teams, haven't really been able to do that this season. A new left back to provide competition for Stevenson would be ideal, the boy from Raith looked promising, so maybe go for him. Probably a new keeper, although if Logan was to get himself into shape I'd be happy to see him continue in goals. One thing that I would make a priority is to sign a midfielder who looks to get beyond the strikers, into goalscoring positions, which is something we've lacked for some time.

But as I said, the main thing is keeping the bulk of the squad together (if Henderson is available on loan again then I'd love to see that, highly doubt we'll see Stokes again). This squad are more than capable of winning the league comfortably next season.

kentao
06-06-2016, 03:08 PM
On paper the team are decent but I would be looking to get a replacement for Oxley.

Cover at left back for Stevenson

Resign Hanlon

Get 2 wide players who are capable at running at the fullbacks and getting to the byline.

2 target men to give us a different dimension .

Change to a 442 so we're not giving teams an extra 40 yards to get everyman behind the ball whilst we wait on gray and Stevenson.

KWJ
06-06-2016, 03:14 PM
Wingers and be able to use them when I need to change a game or close a game down

This. The ability to mix it up and play with midfield width.

Also instill the mentality to lead from the front over the season and in individual games.

See if we can blow teams away in the first half hour, especially at ER.

Andy74
06-06-2016, 03:29 PM
We probably need a keeper or two, two full backs, another midfielder, a couple of wingers and a couple of strikers.

Not much really. 😉

Danderhall Hibs
06-06-2016, 05:32 PM
We probably need a keeper or two, two full backs, another midfielder, a couple of wingers and a couple of strikers.

Not much really. 😉

And Malonga back obviously.