PDA

View Full Version : Hibs talk to Lennon tonight

Pages : [1] 2

Hibby soldier
03-06-2016, 08:15 PM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-open-talks-with-neil-lennon-1-4145801

HibsNutter
03-06-2016, 08:20 PM
If he is interested then he must get the job. Would surely get us promoted and that's our sole objective for the coming season.

Danderhall Hibs
03-06-2016, 08:21 PM
If he is interested then he must get the job. Would surely get us promoted and that's our sole objective for the coming season.

I agree. However it'll be a two way conversation and maybe he'll not hear what he wants to hear and walk away.

Santa Cruz
03-06-2016, 08:26 PM
Would like this to happen. Shows intent from the team that wouldn't die.

ivan03
03-06-2016, 08:30 PM
The chats have been had earlier today. Youll hear from
Hibs at the start of the week!

Finn2015
03-06-2016, 08:33 PM
A weekend of speculation, counter speculation, people with sources and utter pish it is then!

Danderhall Hibs
03-06-2016, 08:34 PM

Do they not work weekends?

CRAZYHIBBY
03-06-2016, 08:35 PM
Who would lennon bring as a number 2

Callum_62
03-06-2016, 08:37 PM
Get it done Hibs

coco22
03-06-2016, 08:57 PM

Kennedy?

Callum7
03-06-2016, 09:03 PM

Source?

Newcastlehibby
03-06-2016, 09:04 PM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-open-talks-with-neil-lennon-1-4145801

That is not what the article says. It says Lennon is to meet with his representative, not Hibs!

DH1875
Kennedy?

Why?

Colr

Don't agree. LD has to make sure the fit is right not just go for the name (remember Butcher). If he's right, he's right.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
03-06-2016, 09:08 PM

Boozy!

CorrieHibs
03-06-2016, 09:09 PM
Boozy!

Good shout

Marco G
03-06-2016, 09:12 PM
That is not what the article says. It says Lennon is to meet with his representative, not Hibs!
That's right and its not clear if his representative has spoken to Hibs, although you would think so. The News headline is misleading ( so what's new?)

staunchhibby
03-06-2016, 09:13 PM
Johan Mjalby would be my tip

stokesmessiah
03-06-2016, 09:19 PM

Do you even know what he's doing now?

DH1875
03-06-2016, 09:20 PM

I don't think we could afford Lennon & Mjalby. One of if not the main reason Lennon actually quit Celtic was because they got rid of Mjalby behind his back. Said they offered him a new deal when in fact they never even spoke terms and nothing was ever on the table. Source, Johan himself.

Jim44
03-06-2016, 09:22 PM

Do you even know what he's doing now?

Managing in Sweden now.

GreenCastle
03-06-2016, 09:37 PM
Mjalby I believe was a major factor why he was successful at Celtic.

coco22
03-06-2016, 09:59 PM
Why?

Just linking possible celtic connections / past players. Alan Thompson burnt his bridges if I remember (same coaching staff?)

davidw
03-06-2016, 10:03 PM

Just for the record, the Bolton fans seem to think he was crap (irrespective of the financial situation):
http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/boards/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26150

Onion
03-06-2016, 10:06 PM
Apart from his personal terms, would expect Lennon to demand a decent war chest to bring in the players that will guarantee us promotion. There's no way Lennon is going to take the job and risk failing, so we could expect some decent signings if he gets the job.

Hibeewilly
03-06-2016, 10:10 PM
That's right and its not clear if his representative has spoken to Hibs, although you would think so. The News headline is misleading ( so what's new?)

Its on the BBC Sport website now saying he has held talks with Hibs. GGTTH

Delboy4
03-06-2016, 10:11 PM

Stan Petrov ?

Captain Trips
03-06-2016, 10:15 PM
IMO great piece of business if it comes off, he could well be capable of keeping some of our better players with us which is important.

If he fancies keeping Henderson nobody better for me than doing that, if Celtic want him back fair enough.

I would feel very comfortable and confident with Neil Lennon in our dugout.

Bald Reynard
03-06-2016, 10:17 PM

Garry Parker, Steve Walford and Johann Mjallby have been his Coaching Team at previous clubs. Parker and Walford were with him at Leicester and Celtic (Walford was Martin O'Neill's Assistant at most of his clubs and Parker, First Team Coach), Mjallby joined later.

SMAXXA
03-06-2016, 10:17 PM
Will be appointed early next week

Finn2015
03-06-2016, 10:20 PM
Will be appointed early next week

Fact?

h1bee123
03-06-2016, 10:24 PM
Managers with last 16 Champions league experience in last 4 years

Alex Ferguson

André Villas-Boas

Antonio Conte

Arsene Wenger

Carlo Ancelotti

Clarence Seedorf

David Moyes

Diego Simeone

Dieter Hecking

Fatih Terim

Gerardo Martino

Guus Hiddink

Hein Vanhaezebrouck

Jens Keller

José Mourinho

Juan Pizzi

Jupp Heynckes

Jürgen Klopp

Laurent Blanc

Leonardo Jardim

Lopetegui

Luciano Spalletti

Luis Enrique

Manuel Pellegrini

Massimiliano Allegri

Míchel

Mircea Lucescu

Neil Lennon

Paulo Sousa

Pep Guardiola

Phillip Cocu

Roberto Di Matteo

Roberto Mancini

Roger Schmidt

Rui Vitória

Sascha Lewandowski

Serhiy Rebrov

Tito Vilanova

Vítor Pereira

Zinédine Zidane

Not bad company

Jim44
03-06-2016, 10:24 PM
I think I'll stop reading the two threads about Lennon in case I get over-enthusiastic one minute, then suicidal the next. I trust LD and co. to weigh up the pros and cons and make the right decision.

TheGreenMan
03-06-2016, 10:27 PM
It's now going to have to happen seeing as it's been made public or else were going to look like we've missed out on our no1 option regardless of the story.

Hope we get it done now, far better than anyone else linked with the job and a higher profile than I thought we'd have been able to attract.

If we'd lost the cup final I don't think this would be happening. Success breeds success. If this happens hoping it encourages more season tickets. Would be a massive statement from us.

Velma Dinkley
03-06-2016, 10:29 PM
Has Lennon done something that makes people think he'd be a good manager? Good at Celtic (the only club in the country with money) and terrible at Bolton.

TheGreenMan
03-06-2016, 10:31 PM
Has Lennon done something that makes people think he'd be a good manager? Good at Celtic (the only club in the country with money) and terrible at Bolton.

Who of the other potential names would you have?

Eesti
03-06-2016, 10:35 PM
I cant understand the enthusiasm for Lennon being appointed manager at our club. More baggage than a porter imho... It will cause more harm than good and I for one dont want any sideshow. From what we are told allegedly, his form wasnt too good off the pitch at Bolton...

Velma Dinkley
03-06-2016, 10:39 PM

Just say 'no'. It's quicker.

Captain Trips
03-06-2016, 10:39 PM
3 leagues
2 scottish cups

That is the only baggage that interests me. Hysteria over his "negative" baggage IMO.

I think will get us up no problem.

tamig
03-06-2016, 10:40 PM

Look at his European record at Celtic when his team were the small fry. The Bolton job was a hiding to nothing despite what some folk on their message boards may say. Who would your preferred candidate be then?

tamig
03-06-2016, 10:40 PM
I cant understand the enthusiasm for Lennon being appointed manager at our club. More baggage than a porter imho... It will cause more harm than good and I for one dont want any sideshow. From what we are told allegedly, his form wasnt too good off the pitch at Bolton...

What pish. Jeezo.

One Day Soon
03-06-2016, 10:41 PM

Oh aye? :rolleyes:

Keyser Sauzee
03-06-2016, 10:41 PM

Got Celtic into the group stages of champs league, wether u like him or not that is an achievement

One Day Soon
03-06-2016, 10:42 PM
What pish. Jeezo.

Top quality 'joined in May 2016 and 9 posts in' pi5h though. Reekin'

NAE NOOKIE
03-06-2016, 10:43 PM
I just cant make my mind up about Lennon. He had some success with Celtic, but who hasn't you have to be truly rank to fail ..... he did have two decent European seasons, but how that translates to our situation I don't know.

His punt at Bolton is probably more of a barometer. There is no doubt they were a relegation waiting to happen, but at the end of the day he didn't exactly work any magic there, for the most part they couldn't buy a win which makes me wonder about his ability to motivate a team in adversity.

I would back him all the way if he is appointed, but I just wonder if he is the man for us ..... he is pretty high profile having managed in the champions league so you would have thought he would be on clubs radar, but I haven't seen him punted for any of the myriad of jobs that have come up recently ... Leeds, Blackburn, Rotherham, Dundee Utd, Aston Villa ( long shot I admit ) and ICT off the top of my head, you would have thought he would have been in the frame for at least one but he hasn't even come close as far as I know.

I'm not against the idea, but IMO appointing him is no more a guarantee of promotion than if we appointed Yogi or Jim McIntyre ...... In fact the more I think of it perhaps Russell Latapy might not be a bad left field shout.

Santa Cruz
03-06-2016, 10:44 PM

The baggage your talking about is mostly about him being victimised by Rangers and Hearts supporters.

TheGreenMan
03-06-2016, 10:44 PM

I wouldnt answer no though. As others have pointed out he's got experience of winning a league multiple times in a similar scenario where his team had the bigger budget and better players so will have come up against teams sitting 10 behind the ball and finding ways to win. He's also managed an average to good celtic team (compared to their euro opponents) through to the last 16 in the champions league.

My question was genuine. Who do you think we should get that's a better option?

Velma Dinkley
03-06-2016, 10:45 PM
I certainly don't hate him. He's not shown himself to be a decent manager though.

JohnM1875
03-06-2016, 10:47 PM
After Stubbs left I can honestly say I never thought we'd get a manager remotely like the reputation of Lennon. Let alone afford him!

Multiple league titles and champions league last 16!! going to the Scottish Championship!!! That is honestly mental.

You can say what you want about Celtic being an easy gig. Many managers have proven that to be utter bs. Mowbray, Ronny are two recent examples.

What more to people actually want?!

Gemmill might well turn out to be a good manager or head coach in the future. But if you offered me a straight choice between him and Lennon it's a no brainer.

I honestly think Mourinho would have struggled at Bolton! Awful timing. A team already in freefall who were then a bawhair away from going bust and hadn't payed players for a while. Totally different gig to Hibernian FC, from the Capital!

Eesti
03-06-2016, 10:50 PM
I have actually been part of this forum before under Estonian Hibee got bumped for saying JJ from Finland would sign. He did. Im only saying that I dont think it would do the club any good to appoint Lennon. Cant I say that....

TheGreenMan
03-06-2016, 10:51 PM
I certainly don't hate him. He's not shown himself to be a decent manager though.

So who do you want?

Velma Dinkley
03-06-2016, 10:53 PM
So who do you want?

Wim Jansen, Josef Venglos or Walter Smith

Purehibee_MYB
Does anyone know what Celtic fans thought at the possibility of him returning after Deila? Obviously Rodgers being available and willing was the more tempting one but were the fans happy enough at the prospect of Lennon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IberianHibernian
Don't agree. LD has to make sure the fit is right not just go for the name (remember Butcher). If he's right, he's right. Certainly remember Butcher . Never wanted him anywhere near my club and I was certainly not the only Hibs fan who thought the same .

QMU-1875
03-06-2016, 10:55 PM

He done better than Deila at Celtic, worked wonders at Bolton first season to keep them up. The financial mess they were in they were never staying up this season.

h1bee123
03-06-2016, 10:56 PM
Got Celtic into the group stages of champs league, wether u like him or not that is an achievement

Got Celtic into the last 16 of the Champions League (2012/2013 season)

SlickShoes
03-06-2016, 10:56 PM
I got a text from a Rangers supporter earlier saying "Can't believe you are getting that Bhigot as manager", that's the only thing the guys said to me since well before the cup final.

Anyway, I'm happy with whoever Leeann picks, if its Lennon that's fine and if its someone totally different thats also fine. She knows what she's doing.

TheGreenMan
03-06-2016, 10:57 PM
Wim Jansen, Josef Venglos or Walter Smith

None of which are realistic...

Lennon is the best option we could get. He'll have more success than anyone else quoted. The fact you mentioned nonsense names shows there's nobody else can match him.

Stuart Mccall? Yogi? Gemmill?

NAE NOOKIE
03-06-2016, 10:58 PM
I have actually been part of this forum before under Estonian Hibee got bumped for saying JJ from Finland would sign. He did. Im only saying that I dont think it would do the club any good to appoint Lennon. Cant I say that....

Why would you get banned from a fans forum for predicting a player would sign? :I'm waiti

jgl07
03-06-2016, 11:02 PM
Well the same could be said about every Bolton manager since Fat Sam.

How about Gary Megson, Owen Coyle, and Dougie Freedman?

It wasn't just financial restraints that Lennon had to cope with as Bolton had a transfer embargo.

TheGreenMan
03-06-2016, 11:02 PM
Does anyone know what Celtic fans thought at the possibility of him returning after Deila? Obviously Rodgers being available and willing was the more tempting one but were the fans happy enough at the prospect of Lennon?

Big celtic mate of mine said:

He'd be a good get for you. Out of all the candidates on Celtic's list Lenny was ahead of a good few of them for me. Think he'd get you up no problem.

mca
03-06-2016, 11:04 PM
Apart from his personal terms, would expect Lennon to demand a decent war chest to bring in the players that will guarantee us promotion. There's no way Lennon is going to take the job and risk failing, so we could expect some decent signings if he gets the job.

How Much ??? Did He Spend / War Chest with Celtic ??? - Does Anyone Know ??

i Still Think he could do a Job with us..

But he not got the Ca$h to Play with - Not the Same as He Got with Celtic.. !!!!

keep the faith
03-06-2016, 11:06 PM

Kevin Thomson would be a good shout. Got all his coaching badges now.

Eesti
03-06-2016, 11:07 PM
[QUOTE=NAE NOOKIE;4719384]Why would you get banned from a fans forum for predicting a player would sign? :I'm waiti[/QUOT

Dont know but it happened and a few folks asked as well. Ive been a member on the bounce since. I wrote to the admins at the time but couldnt get an answer. But this is off topic Im still struggling to understand the support for Lennon. We have done ok with out of the box guys like Mowbray and Stubbs. Just think we dont need the hassle...

MWHIBBIES
03-06-2016, 11:08 PM
I'm not as convinced by his record as some on here are, there is a good chance he will get us up but it is not a given like some are making out.

MagicSwirlingShip
03-06-2016, 11:15 PM
There's no way he will come unless the board agree to back him. I don't think he would take on the challenge if he had a small budget.

chrisski33
03-06-2016, 11:16 PM
Lennon will be able to handle the pressure of getting us promoted. His record is damn good. Getting celtic into last 16 in europe was no mean feat so reckon he would be a great appointment.

Waxy
03-06-2016, 11:18 PM

That's a lorra lorra negativity.

snooky
03-06-2016, 11:21 PM
Don't like Lennon for turning Scott Brown into a defensive midfielder. Some will disagree but that's my feeling on the matter.

Waxy
03-06-2016, 11:21 PM
A manager has to fit a club. Luckily i think we might just bring out the best in Neil Lennon and we'll all be seeing him in a different light shortly.

Velma Dinkley
03-06-2016, 11:24 PM
None of which are realistic...

Lennon is the best option we could get. He'll have more success than anyone else quoted. The fact you mentioned nonsense names shows there's nobody else can match him.

Stuart Mccall? Yogi? Gemmill?

What makes you think they are nonsense?

givescotlandfreedom
03-06-2016, 11:27 PM
I'm not as convinced by his record as some on here are, there is a good chance he will get us up but it is not a given like some are making out.

That's pretty much how I feel.

stantonhibby
03-06-2016, 11:29 PM
Don't like Lennon for turning Scott Brown into a defensive midfielder. Some will disagree but that's my feeling on the matter.

Strachan signed him and played him there did he not?

WWFTWTG
03-06-2016, 11:30 PM
Please no, we can do much better than Lennon.

J-C
03-06-2016, 11:30 PM
There's no way he will come unless the board agree to back him. I don't think he would take on the challenge if he had a small budget.

Does he really need a big budget, we have the best squad in the division, 2-3 right additions in the areas we all know about and he should be good to go.

monktonharp
03-06-2016, 11:48 PM
when he went to Bolton, they were rock bottom I think. He subsequently saved them from relegation. then they had a signing embargo, and players had problems with wages etc if I recall. the Bolton thing was not exactly down to him was it? Besides, any manager that can take a team to Gorgie, and make them win 0-7, will do for me.:wink:

Carheenlea
03-06-2016, 11:51 PM

Speaking to someone from within the camp the other week, there was concern about whether they would still have a position, worries about the impact of another Championship season with regards financing staffing costs across all levels, and what kind of budget we would have to tackle the new campaign with some good additions. Whether the manager was staying it going, no date for pre-season etc. This was on the morning of the Cup Final, so financially we would have been a wee bit better off a few hours later!
I'd guess we should have a similar budget to that of the one Alan Stubbs worked with, and being a knowledgable man, I'd suspect Neil Lennon would know roughly what he would have to play with. It would still be more than our fellow competitors, and a high profile appointment like Lennon could see more signing up for next season pushing season ticket sales into the 9K ballpark, increasing that budget further.

Jim44
03-06-2016, 11:54 PM
Is Lennon one of a breed of managers of more successful, wealthy clubs who shouldn't get near managing poorer, mediocre clubs because their success is unearned and taken for granted? It might just be the case that, when he was throwing a ball and a couple of jerseys at his players at Celtic telling them to have a kick around, a quick shower and off to the golf course, he picked up a few ideas and managerial skills which might stand him in good stead when, God forbid, he might one day have to work for his salary. I wouldn't mind Lennon imparting some of what he has learned and experienced at a higher level on our lads. :rolleyes:

northstandhibby
03-06-2016, 11:58 PM
Speaking to someone from within the camp the other week, there was concern about whether they would still have a position, worries about the impact of another Championship season with regards financing staffing costs across all levels, and what kind of budget we would have to tackle the new campaign with some good additions. Whether the manager was staying it going, no date for pre-season etc. This was on the morning of the Cup Final, so financially we would have been a wee bit better off a few hours later!
I'd guess we should have a similar budget to that of the one Alan Stubbs worked with, and being a knowledgable man, I'd suspect Neil Lennon would know roughly what he would have to play with. It would still be more than our fellow competitors, and a high profile appointment like Lennon could see more signing up for next season pushing season ticket sales into the 9K ballpark, increasing that budget further.

That would be a fantastic effort by the hibbies if that figure was achieved. You could be right if a high profile manager like Neil joins up.

Glory Glory

Finn2015
04-06-2016, 12:06 AM

Unfortunately, mourinho and guardiola are tied up at the minute

FranckSuzy
04-06-2016, 12:07 AM
That's a lorra lorra negativity.

:tee hee:

monktonharp
04-06-2016, 12:09 AM
Is Lennon one of a breed of managers of more successful, wealthy clubs who shouldn't get near managing poorer, mediocre clubs because their success is unearned and taken for granted? It might just be the case that, when he was throwing a ball and a couple of jerseys at his players at Celtic telling them to have a kick around, a quick shower and off to the golf course, he picked up a few ideas and managerial skills which might stand him in good stead when, God forbid, he might one day have to work for his salary. I wouldn't mind Lennon imparting some of what he has learned and experienced at a higher level on our lads. :rolleyes: Do you actally like yersel? you seem to not like anyone, for Hibs manager and you were glad to get shot of Stubbs. who should we get, or who should we go for? who should be aspiring ti be our next manager? which breed of managers do we deserve, or are we such a diddy club that we should not even ask high profile unemployed managers to even talk?

WWFTWTG
04-06-2016, 12:10 AM
Unfortunately, mourinho and guardiola are tied up at the minute

Aye so

SanFranHibs
04-06-2016, 12:19 AM

McCartney? We would have the best songs in the league.

This appointment would certainly show ambition from the club. May not have worked out for him at Bolton but for Hibs to get a manager who had decent CL results shows we are not accepting the playoff route again. Of course nothing is guaranteed but it would certainly not be a young or should i say new manager weaning himself before a big move to the Rotherhams of this world ;)

Forza Fred
04-06-2016, 12:26 AM
I have no problem with Neil Lennon, the individual.

My concern would be that if appointed our manager in what I believe is a watershed season for us.....if a 'bigger' club sacked there manager around November/December, whether it be in Scotland or England, I have this feeling that he wouldn't hesitate to go..leaving us managerless and searching in a very small and shallow pool for a replacement at a critical time.

I don't think Lennon's ego sees managing a side at the top end of the Scottish championship as his "dream" job, and I reckon would be looking for opportunities arising elsewhere from the very start.

We need stability....

SJM
04-06-2016, 12:51 AM
Neil Lennon won't be our next manager. I'm happy to bet anyone £50 to The Links who thinks otherwise.

sambajustice
04-06-2016, 12:56 AM

My concern would be that if appointed our manager in what I believe is a watershed season for us.....if a 'bigger' club sacked there manager around November/December, whether it be in Scotland or England, I have this feeling that he wouldn't hesitate to go..leaving us managerless and searching in a very small and shallow pool for a replacement at a critical time.

I don't think Lennon's ego sees managing a side at the top end of the Scottish championship as his "dream" job, and I reckon would be looking for opportunities arising elsewhere from the very start.

We need stability....

What would you class as "stability" these days like?

jgl07
04-06-2016, 12:58 AM

We need stability....
The shelf life of a manager is around two years these days.

If Lennon can get promotion and bugger off after one year that is fine with me.

I don't see any club in England falling over themselves to give Lennon a job this side of next summer given his torrid time at Bolton. As for Scotland, I suspect the only job Lennon really wants is a return to Celtic. I don't see Celtic replacing Saint Brendon with Lennon this December. Would Lennon jump ship to go to Kilmarnock or St Johnstone?

Maybe if Rangers came a calling? That would be right!

Jim44
04-06-2016, 01:25 AM
Do you actally like yersel? you seem to not like anyone, for Hibs manager and you were glad to get shot of Stubbs. who should we get, or who should we go for? who should be aspiring ti be our next manager? which breed of managers do we deserve, or are we such a diddy club that we should not even ask high profile unemployed managers to even talk?

What the hell are you on about?

Forza Fred
04-06-2016, 01:31 AM

My concern would be that if appointed our manager in what I believe is a watershed season for us.....if a 'bigger' club sacked there manager around November/December, whether it be in Scotland or England, I have this feeling that he wouldn't hesitate to go..leaving us managerless and searching in a very small and shallow pool for a replacement wat a critical time.

We need stability....

If we could guarantee that the manager we started the season with would at least be there at the end would be a good start....

macd123
04-06-2016, 01:33 AM
Going through a run of 2 wins in 33 games at Bolton is a worry.

Forza Fred
04-06-2016, 01:36 AM

I was kinda wondering the same thing :confused:

GlasgowHibee
04-06-2016, 02:52 AM
My only concern with Lennon is that he doesn't become too overconfident with regards to the league we are in. In my opinion, getting us out of the Championship would be harder than getting Celtic out of the group stages in the Champions League.

We can't afford to underestimate the other teams in this league again, other than that, he's my choice for manager. :thumbsup:

CelticEnd
04-06-2016, 04:08 AM
I would totally ignore what happened for Lennon at Bolton.

He took over a team who were going down and somehow managed to keep them up with absolutely zero money.

The next season he had players sold from under him, zero money to spend and admin looming over him and things went south.

If you look at Boltons results they were bad but they totally went off the cliff after he left.

I think this would be a great appointment for Hibs. The job he done at Celtic was very underrated when you look at who came before him (Mowbray disaster) and who came after.

Even when he arrived at Celtic we sold arguably our two most valuable players to allow him to build his own team - he was never really given money.

There seems to be a line of thinking things went wrong towards the end at Celtic. This is perception over reality.

In his final season we lost one game, scored 100 league goals and were in the Champions League.

Vault Boy
04-06-2016, 04:24 AM
Pretty sure Lennon's win percentage at Celtic is the 4th best in their history, with Jock Stein in front of him in 3rd by only 0.10%. Of course this doesn't paint the whole picture, but I do think it says a hell of a lot about his ability as a manager. I don't know how people can write off his time at Celtic as being a matter of course, or in any way easy, it really wasn't.

Yorkshire HFC
04-06-2016, 05:20 AM
Would be remarkable if it happens - but I'm just not sure that he's the right fit for where we are just now. He'd have to realise that he's not working for a Champions League club - his job would be to get us into the PL with a Championship budget - and I think that would be hard for him.

Hibs90
04-06-2016, 05:40 AM
His record at Celtic is exactly the same as Deilas. I'm not convinced he's a head coach either.

Tinribs
04-06-2016, 05:49 AM
His record at Celtic is exactly the same as Deilas. I'm not convinced he's a head coach either.

Not sure where you are getting your figures from, but his record is considerably better than Deilas.

Finn2015
04-06-2016, 05:51 AM
Not sure where you are getting your figures from, but his record is considerably better than Deilas.

Exactly. That old saying about stats comes to mind. His record with Celtic in Europe certainly is far better than Delia's.

offshorehibby
04-06-2016, 05:54 AM
I honestly don't think he'd be a good fit for Hibs. Does he have an eye for players, especially in our budget range. Talk about him not being the greatest of coaches.

marinello59
04-06-2016, 06:04 AM
I honestly don't think he'd be a good fit for Hibs. Does he have an eye for players, especially in our budget range. Talk about him not being the greatest of coaches.

He's a winner who demands that all around him adopt the same mentalitiy. If we get him Nobody at the club will be talking about gaining promotion through the play offs. I still don't think we will get him though.

Beefster
04-06-2016, 06:07 AM
I honestly don't think he'd be a good fit for Hibs. Does he have an eye for players, especially in our budget range.

We have a Head of Player Identification and Recruitment. Lennon will get the final say on players identified under a well-defined process.

Marco G
04-06-2016, 06:52 AM
I honestly don't think he'd be a good fit for Hibs. Does he have an eye for players, especially in our budget range. Talk about him not being the greatest of coaches. He would be joining a club, like Celtic, who are well run now and have the backup he needs, not a basket case like Bolton became. I think that he is a clever guy who learned a lot from another clever guy, Martin O'Neill, and would be delighted if we could get him.

Greenworld
04-06-2016, 07:05 AM
I would prefer malky mckay

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

SanFranHibs
04-06-2016, 07:06 AM

Who is a given in this job?

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
04-06-2016, 07:08 AM
Would be remarkable if it happens - but I'm just not sure that he's the right fit for where we are just now. He'd have to realise that he's not working for a Champions League club - his job would be to get us into the PL with a Championship budget - and I think that would be hard for him.

I think he will be aware of that.

I disagree though, our budget will still be very much a premier league one

Waxy
04-06-2016, 07:10 AM

No sure i would at all.

SanFranHibs
04-06-2016, 07:12 AM

Who???

I am not saying who or who we could not get and I am not saying Lennon would work...but who is it you think would be MUCH better?

Greenworld
04-06-2016, 07:12 AM
No sure i would at all.
Who's your preferred candidate

Beefster
04-06-2016, 07:14 AM

I'd be unhappy if Hibs appointed someone who thought it was fine to refer to Asians, women, homosexuals, Jews and others who were different from him in the way he did.

Greenworld
04-06-2016, 07:17 AM
I'd be unhappy if Hibs appointed someone who thought it was fine to refer to Asians, women, homosexuals, Jews and others who were different from him in the way he did.
Not defending what he said made a mistake hardly enough to justify being life banned from football is it ?

Purehibee_MYB
04-06-2016, 07:19 AM
Not defending what he said made a mistake hardly enough to justify being life banned from football is it ?

No but we can be unhappy with his appointment if it happened. I'm sure Leann won't go for someone who holds such views anyway

Greenworld
04-06-2016, 07:23 AM
No but we can be unhappy with his appointment if it happened. I'm sure Leann won't go for someone who holds such views anyway

Must be great to be so pure and clean in life [emoji102] don't know many. Anyways back to the thread I don't Fancy Lennon one bit in my opinion a huge mistake if we appoint him.

Jim44
04-06-2016, 07:23 AM
Is Lennon one of a breed of managers of more successful, wealthy clubs who shouldn't get near managing poorer, mediocre clubs because their success is unearned and taken for granted? It might just be the case that, when he was throwing a ball and a couple of jerseys at his players at Celtic telling them to have a kick around, a quick shower and off to the golf course, he picked up a few ideas and managerial skills which might stand him in good stead when, God forbid, he might one day have to work for his salary. I wouldn't mind Lennon imparting some of what he has learned and experienced at a higher level on our lads. :rolleyes:

Do you actally like yersel? you seem to not like anyone, for Hibs manager and you were glad to get shot of Stubbs. who should we get, or who should we go for? who should be aspiring ti be our next manager? which breed of managers do we deserve, or are we such a diddy club that we should not even ask high profile unemployed managers to even talk?

I was kinda wondering the same thing :confused:

If Monktonharp cares to read my post about Lennon properly, he might realise that it is actually in support of Lennon, as all my posts on this topic have been. It is a sarcastic comment on the folk who say that Lennon couldn't do a job for us because working successfully at Celtic is a doddle which anybody could do.

Enough said
04-06-2016, 07:25 AM

Ian Murray I hear

SanFranHibs
04-06-2016, 07:25 AM

Of course not !!!!

they draw the line at Scottish cup heroes who sing dubious songs at 'provincial' gatherings.

:flag::flag::flag:

Waxy
04-06-2016, 07:28 AM
Who's your preferred candidate

I think Lennon would get us out the championship. That is all i'm looking fior right now.

Waxy
04-06-2016, 07:29 AM

Thats what i was thinking. Maybe not fit Hibs.

Ronniekirk
04-06-2016, 07:29 AM

Who have you got in mind that can get us promoted as that is key and only priority this Season
Although would be great to retain the Scottish Cup

Greenworld
04-06-2016, 07:33 AM
I think Lennon would get us out the championship. That is all i'm looking fior right now.
That's all I want too nothing else not interested in Europe or cups...one thing matters promotion we need to get the right guy the right players. This won't be as easy as some seem to think .

The Leith Dutch
04-06-2016, 07:40 AM
Does he really need a big budget, we have the best squad in the division, 2-3 right additions in the areas we all know about and he should be good to go.

Totally agree.

Also worth noting that if he does demand a big budget it won't be happening as, unlike certain other clubs that could be mentioned, we won't be spending money we don't have.

We did not fail to get promotion due to the calibre of player we signed and whoever is next in through the door needs to address that.

Dashing Bob S
04-06-2016, 07:45 AM
At Celtic Lennon did well in the CL, punching above his weight, underperformed in the domestic cups where they often bottled it, and did about what you'd expect for their finances in the League, sometimes rampant, occasionally falling asleep at the wheel.

A safe appointment in my opinion.

Will be a legend at Hibs if he gets us up in first season of asking.*

* Status also subject to Scotiish Cup retention, and/or knockout stages of Europa Cup. See hangover for more details.

MrRobot
04-06-2016, 07:47 AM
**** me, he got celtic into the last 16 of the champions league and some people don't want him? Mental.

bigwheel
04-06-2016, 07:52 AM
Lennon is certainly a biggish name - likely to put some more bums on seats ...I suspect it will be the coaching staff that are the most important hire in this scenario . With the right support team he could do well , without it questionable for me ...

WWFTWTG
04-06-2016, 07:57 AM
Who have you got in mind that can get us promoted as that is key and only priority this Season
Although would be great to retain the Scottish Cup

Lennon brings a range of distractions off-field which we could well do without - I would love to see us go for Tommy Wright or someone else of his calibre

Captain Trips
04-06-2016, 08:05 AM
At Celtic Lennon did well in the CL, punching above his weight, underperformed in the domestic cups where they often bottled it, and did about what you'd expect for their finances in the League, sometimes rampant, occasionally falling asleep at the wheel.

A safe appointment in my opinion.

Will be a legend at Hibs if he gets us up in first season of asking.*

* Status also subject to Scotiish Cup retention, and/or knockout stages of Europa Cup. See hangover for more details.

Indeed he did what was expected, finishing 3rd last year is certainly not what this team was only capable of in league.

Lennon would get us up.

GreenCastle
04-06-2016, 08:09 AM
Lennon is certainly a biggish name - likely to put some more bums on seats ...I suspect it will be the coaching staff that are the most important hire in this scenario . With the right support team he could do well , without it questionable for me ...

This is where I am - he would certainly need help.

I felt Stubbs / Doolan and Taff were a great team.

I think we will found out early next week if it is to be Lennon or someone else.

The other issue is..Euro 2016 - I read he is contracted to be a pundit during the tournament. This couldn't happen if he takes the Hibs job.

Waxy
04-06-2016, 08:15 AM

I think we will found out early next week if it is to be Lennon or someone else.

The other issue is..Euro 2016 - I read he is contracted to be a pundit during the tournament. This couldn't happen if he takes the Hibs job.
Maybe that'll be the stumbling block then. If he has to spend the next month or so doing nothing but giving his opinion on Euro2016 matches, then the times not right for us and we'll have to look elsewhere.

Keith_M
04-06-2016, 08:18 AM
Maybe that'll be the stumbling block then. If he has to spend the next month or so doing nothing but giving his opinion on Euro2016 matches, then the times not right for us and we'll have to look elsewhere.

Didn't something similar happen with Butcher?

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-06-2016, 08:19 AM
We are maybe forgetting that we are a Championship club just now. In terms of profile and experience Lennon is a step above the other managers in our league. We maybe need to get real and look past the personal stuff and consider that this possible appointment is an example of the ambition which we have been crying out for.

Baldy Foghorn
04-06-2016, 08:21 AM
We are maybe forgetting that we are a Championship club just now. In terms of profile and experience Lennon is a step above the other managers in our league. We maybe need to get real and look past the personal stuff and consider that this possible appointment is an example of the ambition which we have been crying out for.

Spot on:agree::agree:

Ronniekirk
04-06-2016, 08:24 AM
Lennon brings a range of distractions off-field which we could well do without - I would love to see us go for Tommy Wright or someone else of his calibre

Distracions i can cope with if team is winning
There is no doubt St Johnstone have managed to appoint a series of good managers and we could certainly do with following suit
But i don't see us wanting to have to get into wrangles over compensation in our current financial position and someone like wright could see coming into theChampionship as a step back which if he didnt get us promoted he would then regret
The Board are yet again going to have to back their man n Transfer market to attract a good candidate so they need to get this appointment spot on and it needs to be someone that can hit the ground running as the Team need to get to top of league and stay there

Scottie
04-06-2016, 08:25 AM
:agree: NH great post mate.

O'Rourke3
04-06-2016, 08:25 AM
When the rumour started I was in the "Really!?" category. I immediately think that bother follows him around. Step back and think then actually it looks like people go out their way to give him bother. So he carries the baggage of others with dignity it looks like and not a lack of real steel. Annoying as hell on the pitch but they type of player everyone wants int their team.
As a manager - managing one of the ugly twins can't be easy. The level of over expectation is constant and when you win things - you get no credit. I could do that we all think.

If he's interested then I'm personally pleased about that. If he takes/gets offered the job he gets my full support. He might be the best manager we've ever had or he might be worse than Butcher but who here has a credible alternative?

This is the biggest season in the club's history so the expectation here is massive. We need a manager who is grace under pressure personified. Any new coach is a gamble. His experience as a player and as a private citizen is something I'd like to see if he can shape the team with his winners mentality. The comments earlier about he'll be off by November - so get someone else in. Apart from, why would they be staying longer unless they are poor and can't find alternate employment, if he is on other clubs lists then he's doing something right. That attitude about he'll be off is Butcher personified. Better not getting the right man as it helps you get over the disappointment of losing the right man later ....

Of all the names being bandied I think he might have something but we'll see how this plays out over the weekend.

KeithTheHibby
04-06-2016, 08:26 AM

On 3 NI game only? Hardly going to take up all his time.

Waxy
04-06-2016, 08:28 AM
Didn't something similar happen with Butcher?Cant remember.I think my brains blocked everything Butcher out.

TheGreenMan
04-06-2016, 08:38 AM
I think it'd be an important shift in mentality for our players and fans too. We'd be hiring someone were expecting to win the league with, he's been there and done it before. With Stubbs it was more of hope than expectation as he'd never done it. Players will be the same too - as much as they liked Stubbs, there'd probably still be that nagging doubt when the bad results started happening as Stubbs had/has never won a league title as a manager.

We'd be hiring someone with league title winning experience, anyone who doesn't think that's a major factor needs their head looked at. It's a step up in calibre and hopefully on the back of our Scottish Cup win is another move towards actually fulfilling our potential as a club. I said it before - I think if we'd lost the Scottish Cup then this would'n't be happening, winning raises our profile and success breeds success. Get the league won this year and keep the momentum going and more & more fans will come back.

TheGreenMan
04-06-2016, 08:41 AM
Another thing - Lennon was interviewed for the Celtic job and only lost out to Brendan Rogers. If he's good enough to be considered for Celtic in the top league/Champions League qualifiers then how can anyone think he's not a good appointment for us? Stubbs wouldn't (wasn't) have been considered for the Celtic job at this stage.

I just hope it happens now with it being public

Baldy Foghorn
04-06-2016, 08:51 AM
Another thing - Lennon was interviewed for the Celtic job and only lost out to Brendan Rogers. If he's good enough to be considered for Celtic in the top league/Champions League qualifiers then how can anyone think he's not a good appointment for us? Stubbs wouldn't (wasn't) have been considered for the Celtic job at this stage.

Good post....:agree:

Finn2015
04-06-2016, 09:08 AM

Nail hit on its baldy napper. Some might not like Lennon but I'm amazed there have been posts saying he isn't good enough! I respect people's opinions and certainly don't think I'm right all the time but come on, that is just ridiculous

The Green Goblin
04-06-2016, 09:12 AM

Any names to suggest to back that up?

Hibbyradge
04-06-2016, 09:13 AM
Good post....:agree:

I don't think it's significant.

Celtic may well have given Lennon an interview out of respect for him and courtesy to a previous loyal servant.

Not that I'm against him coming to Hibs although I still find it extremely hard to believe that it's even a remote possibility.

Jones28
04-06-2016, 09:15 AM
Spot on:agree::agree:

Yepp, great appointment IMO. A manager who gets Celtic to the last 16 of the champions league knocking out Barcelona in the process is more than worthy of the Hibs job. Have we ever had a manager with that on his CV?

Radge70
04-06-2016, 09:16 AM

Hopefully not Yoko Ono

The Green Goblin
04-06-2016, 09:23 AM

Totally. "We know you have won the SPL more than once and the Scottish Cup twice, played and managed in the Champions League and you beat one of the best teams of all time, but we're trying to get out of the Scottish Championship at the third time of asking and we're not sure you are what we need right now"......Mental stuff. Some folk need to get real about our situation.

YehButNoBut
04-06-2016, 09:23 AM
http://stv.tv/sport/football/1356362-neil-lennon-considering-hibernian-job-after-opening-talks-with-club/

Neil Lennon is mulling over a possible move to Hibernian following face-to-face talks with the club.

Lennon met with Hibs chief executive Leeann Dempster on Friday evening.

It is understood the former Celtic manager has emerged as the Easter Road club's preferred candidate to succeed Alan Stubbs.

Lennon has been out of work since leaving Bolton Wanderers in March.

The 44-year-old is keen on a swift return to the dugout and, despite having a multi-million pound offer to manage a club in China, it is understood he would welcome the chance to manage in Scotland again.

STV understands that former Oldham and Doncaster Rovers manager Paul Dickov, and Stuart McCall, have also come under consideration from the Hibs board.

Hibernia&Alba
04-06-2016, 09:34 AM
Hopefully not Yoko Ono

She'd break up the squad.

Any updates oan this story?

Malthibby
04-06-2016, 09:56 AM
when he went to Bolton, they were rock bottom I think. He subsequently saved them from relegation. then they had a signing embargo, and players had problems with wages etc if I recall. the Bolton thing was not exactly down to him was it? Besides, any manager that can take a team to Gorgie, and make them win 0-7, will do for me.:wink:

Yup. Aye. What he said.
To get Lennon in our current position would be a serious result.
GG

Jack Hackett
04-06-2016, 10:06 AM
She'd break up the squad.

Any updates oan this story?

:tee hee:

Captain Trips
04-06-2016, 10:13 AM
If cant wait for the day when a manager who has won 3 leagues 2 cups and has CL experience is not right for us in the championship.

Get tbis guy in asap Hibs.

lapsedhibee
04-06-2016, 10:44 AM
Yepp, great appointment IMO. A manager who gets Celtic to the last 16 of the champions league knocking out Barcelona in the process is more than worthy of the Hibs job. Have we ever had a manager with that on his CV?

:tsk tsk:

Golden Bear
04-06-2016, 10:50 AM
http://stv.tv/sport/football/1356362-neil-lennon-considering-hibernian-job-after-opening-talks-with-club/

Neil Lennon is mulling over a possible move to Hibernian following face-to-face talks with the club.

Lennon met with Hibs chief executive Leeann Dempster on Friday evening.

It is understood the former Celtic manager has emerged as the Easter Road club's preferred candidate to succeed Alan Stubbs.

Lennon has been out of work since leaving Bolton Wanderers in March.

The 44-year-old is keen on a swift return to the dugout and, despite having a multi-million pound offer to manage a club in China, it is understood he would welcome the chance to manage in Scotland again.

STV understands that former Oldham and Doncaster Rovers manager Paul Dickov, and Stuart McCall, have also come under consideration from the Hibs board.

I don't like "mulling over."

Next please.

The Green Goblin
04-06-2016, 10:57 AM

Next please.

It's the journo who has used that phrase, and they are likely guessing or makin that up. He's entitled to have a think, if (IF) they have offered it to him. It's all speculation at this stage.

Franck Stanton
04-06-2016, 11:18 AM
I just cant make my mind up about Lennon. He had some success with Celtic, but who hasn't you have to be truly rank to fail ..... he did have two decent European seasons, but how that translates to our situation I don't know.

His punt at Bolton is probably more of a barometer. There is no doubt they were a relegation waiting to happen, but at the end of the day he didn't exactly work any magic there, for the most part they couldn't buy a win which makes me wonder about his ability to motivate a team in adversity.

I would back him all the way if he is appointed, but I just wonder if he is the man for us ..... he is pretty high profile having managed in the champions league so you would have thought he would be on clubs radar, but I haven't seen him punted for any of the myriad of jobs that have come up recently ... Leeds, Blackburn, Rotherham, Dundee Utd, Aston Villa ( long shot I admit ) and ICT off the top of my head, you would have thought he would have been in the frame for at least one but he hasn't even come close as far as I know.

I'm not against the idea, but IMO appointing him is no more a guarantee of promotion than if we appointed Yogi or Jim McIntyre ...... In fact the more I think of it perhaps Russell Latapy might not be a bad left field shout.

Just narrowly missed out on a return to Celtic did he no ?

SJM
04-06-2016, 11:20 AM
Just narrowly missed out on a return to Celtic did he no ?

Did Celtic confirm this?

SonOfDavidFrancey
04-06-2016, 11:25 AM
The Bolton years seem to have featured quite a lot of extracurricular activities too. I'm not sure about this either. I think managers have their moment and then are done sometimes. Affairs, punditry etc - lots of distractions - I think our club needs someone hungry to get on. Much as I think he is an impressive and clearly high profile candidate.

Alfred E Newman
04-06-2016, 11:28 AM

Next please.

Thinking aboot it!

Lago
04-06-2016, 11:50 AM
This could all go tits up, & if it does we must be prepared to fully support who ever is finally appointed.

Colr
04-06-2016, 12:03 PM
As one who has complained about Hibs tendency to be bullied out of games - by Hearts and more recently Falkirk as examples - I hope Lennon can bring some steel into the team and give the flair players the room to express themselves.

jacomo
04-06-2016, 12:14 PM
The Bolton years seem to have featured quite a lot of extracurricular activities too. I'm not sure about this either. I think managers have their moment and then are done sometimes. Affairs, punditry etc - lots of distractions - I think our club needs someone hungry to get on. Much as I think he is an impressive and clearly high profile candidate.

Maybe getting a job in Scotland is as much to do with family reasons as anything else?

Beefster
04-06-2016, 12:24 PM

Sending a text to the wrong person is a mistake. Repeatedly being racist/homophobic/misogynist/anti-Semitic in private isn't.

He's not banned from football, never mind for life. I would hope it would rule him out of being Hibs Head Coach though.

ekhibee
04-06-2016, 12:30 PM
It seems to be a two-way fight between Lennon (4/9) and Scott Gemmill (3/1) on skybet. At the moment anyway.

McHibby
04-06-2016, 01:06 PM
Must be great to be so pure and clean in life [emoji102] don't know many.

I don't want to turn this into a Malky MacKay thread, but since when was it *not* ok to take the moral high ground over racism?

I am pretty sure no one on this forum would claim to be perfect. But I'd also like to think that most of us are enlightened enough to think that black people, women, Jews, homosexuals and Asians shouldn't be subject to abusive or derogatory comments.

Hibernia&Alba
04-06-2016, 01:13 PM
It seems to be a two-way fight between Lennon (4/9) and Scott Gemmill (3/1) on skybet. At the moment anyway.

I'd much prefer Lennon out of the two. Lennon or Lambert would be strong a strong replacement.

corby hibee
04-06-2016, 01:15 PM
He done well at celtic and his first half of the end of the season, i hope anouncment is made monday morning who ever gets the job.

Greenworld
04-06-2016, 03:14 PM
I don't want to turn this into a Malky MacKay thread, but since when was it *not* ok to take the moral high ground over racism?

I am pretty sure no one on this forum would claim to be perfect. But I'd also like to think that most of us are enlightened enough to think that black people, women, Jews, homosexuals and Asians shouldn't be subject to abusive or derogatory comments.
Yes I agree and would imagine when a wrong has been done and someone apologises that the apology can be accepted and move on.

NAE NOOKIE
04-06-2016, 03:23 PM
According to sickbag Cathro has quit NUFC :greengrin

Dublin07
04-06-2016, 03:24 PM
Sending a text to the wrong person is a mistake. Repeatedly being racist/homophobic/misogynist/anti-Semitic in private isn't.

He's not banned from football, never mind for life. I would hope it would rule him out of being Hibs Head Coach though.

Well said beefster agree 100%

brog
04-06-2016, 03:48 PM
I must confess I have very mixed feelings re Lennon. He left Celtc expecting to be wooed by top English clubs & he ended up at Bolton. Now he's talking to us, it appears his stock is not too high in the football world. Regardless of difficult circumstances at Bolton he was not successful. The only real plus on his cv is the last 16 in Champions League & he deserves great credit for that. Personally I would prefer a young, hungry manager in the Mowbray/Stubbs mould who looks at us as a step up rather than someone who has suddenly run out of opportunities. On the plus side IIRC Lennon did call Craig Thomson ridiculous & if he's appointed I will of course support him 100%.

Coco Bryce
04-06-2016, 04:00 PM
I must confess I have very mixed feelings re Lennon. He left Celtc expecting to be wooed by top English clubs & he ended up at Bolton. Now he's talking to us, it appears his stock is not too high in the football world. Regardless of difficult circumstances at Bolton he was not successful. The only real plus on his cv is the last 16 in Champions League & he deserves great credit for that. Personally I would prefer a young, hungry manager in the Mowbray/Stubbs mould who looks at us as a step up rather than someone who has suddenly run out of opportunities. On the plus side IIRC Lennon did call Craig Thomson ridiculous & if he's appointed I will of course support him 100%.

Lennon is the same age as Stubbs I think? He does seem to have been around forever though.

O'Rourke3
04-06-2016, 04:01 PM

Neil Lennon and Alan Stubbs are the same age:greengrin. If he turns out to be great or rubbish time will tell but NL is as young and as hungry as AS I reckon. The difference is NL has managed a first team in the PL and Europe. He's never managed a team that's trying to gain promotion is all.

WhileTheChief..
04-06-2016, 04:04 PM
He's exactly what we need. Everything about him just ticks the right boxes.

And he's said nice thing us about us too.

TAHibby
04-06-2016, 04:08 PM
I like the idea of him forgoing megabucks in China to come to us

brog
04-06-2016, 04:12 PM
Neil Lennon and Alan Stubbs are the same age:greengrin. If he turns out to be great or rubbish time will tell but NL is as young and as hungry as AS I reckon. The difference is NL has managed a first team in the PL and Europe. He's never managed a team that's trying to gain promotion is all.

I really meant young in management terms. I'm sure when Lennon quit Celtc he never imagined he could be back in Scotland in a lower division within a couple of years!! For Mowbray & Stubbs we were a step up, that's definitely not the case for Lennon.

Libby Hibby
04-06-2016, 04:14 PM
Neil Lennon is a big name in Scottish Football and if Hibs pull this off it will certainly one of the biggest coup's in its history.

His winning mentality,almost touching on arrogance, is exactly the attitude I think we need right now.

We have had 2 years of 'nicey, nicey' football which almost got us up and the league cup but won us the Scottish Cup...now that the Scottish cup is in the bag, we need a ruthless, selfless and a determination that only winning the league championship is acceptable for this season.

Lennon will provide that.

GGTTH

HibsNibs
05-06-2016, 09:54 AM
I think he's a clueless, classless clown whose appointment at ER would be an existential threat to the club. All about opinions eh.

staunchhibby
05-06-2016, 10:06 AM
Wow thats some opinionis it not.

lucky
05-06-2016, 10:09 AM
I think he's a clueless, classless clown whose appointment at ER would be an existential threat to the club. All about opinions eh.

Jeezo that's it's extreme and laughable, a threat to the club come on. You might not fancy him as a manager but hardly a threat to the club

Baldy Foghorn
05-06-2016, 10:11 AM

:faf::faf::faf:

bigwheel
05-06-2016, 10:12 AM

Have you actually spend time to listen to him...apart for his snarling midfield performances - which we would be fawning over if it had been in a Hibs jersey...there is nothing about your post that is in any way factual or near the truth...Feel free to question his managerial track record, but to attack his person, without any substance is poor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real Emerald
05-06-2016, 10:14 AM

I'm wasn't sure about him as a person either but I remember seeing a documentary about him on tv. He said he's no idea why people target him and give him a hard time, he said something like it saddens him and baffles him why he is made out to be some sort of villain or hate target. He said he is a nice guy just trying to do a good job at whatever it is he's doing and other people seem to paint him constantly in a bad light. I didn't like him at the time but after watching that I changed my mind.

Win us the league and he will also be a hero. :thumbsup:

Baldy Foghorn
05-06-2016, 10:18 AM
I'm wasn't sure about him as a person either but I remember seeing a documentary about him on tv. He said he's no idea why people target him and give him a hard time, he said something like it saddens him and baffles him why he is made out to be some sort of villain or hate target. He said he is a nice guy just trying to do a good job at whatever it is he's doing and other people seem to paint him constantly in a bad light. I didn't like him at the time but after watching that I changed my mind.

He is apparently a Gentleman away from the game, charity minded, pleasant to talk to etc. Bit of a beast of a Manager, who strives for success.....That will do for me.....

Hibernia&Alba
05-06-2016, 10:19 AM

I think he's being too diplomatic there. He knows full well why he was subjected to death threats etc: he's a Roman Catholic from Northern Ireland who signed for Celtic. West of Scotland culture being what it is, problems were inevitable.

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-06-2016, 10:40 AM
I think he's being too diplomatic there. He knows full well why he was subjected to death threats etc: he's a Roman Catholic from Northern Ireland who signed for Celtic. West of Scotland culture being what it is, problems were inevitable.
And if he stood up to that and dealt with it any other managers in our league who fancy a bit of mind games will know where they stand. If Lennon becomes our boss and passes on that mental toughness,that will go a long way.

Waxy
05-06-2016, 10:42 AM

Maybe all about opinions but this goes a bit beyond and is unfair.

Twiglet
05-06-2016, 10:50 AM

In what way?

Marco G
05-06-2016, 10:53 AM
Luckily your opinion is unlikely to be considered by those that matter at Easter Road, and if it stopped you going along then that would be your problem.

Newry Hibs
05-06-2016, 10:55 AM

I also think he suggested a united Ireland team ala rugby. Never going to go down well with the blue half who would be itching for a 'valid' reason to hate someone.

CapitalGreen
05-06-2016, 10:59 AM

The fact he left a safe job with Celtic In search of new challenges down south suggests to me that he is a hungry manager.

Finn2015
05-06-2016, 11:04 AM
Existential threat to the club? Load of rubbish. What a load of overly dramatic crap

MWHIBBIES
05-06-2016, 11:07 AM
I think he's being too diplomatic there. He knows full well why he was subjected to death threats etc: he's a Roman Catholic from Northern Ireland who signed for Celtic. West of Scotland culture being what it is, problems were inevitable.Why didn't Martin O'Neill get the same abuse?

Lennon done himself absolutely no favours with his conduct in his first year as Celtic manager. Always in the press winding someone up or crying wolf about something.

Hibernia&Alba
05-06-2016, 11:10 AM
Why didn't Martin O'Neill get the same abuse?

Lennon done himself absolutely no favours with his conduct in his first year as Celtic manager. Always in the press winding someone up or crying wolf about something.

As I recall, O'Neill did get the abuse, but he didn't the death threats and letter bombs.

brog
05-06-2016, 11:14 AM
The fact he left a safe job with Celtic In search of new challenges down south suggests to me that he is a hungry manager.

I agree, but I don't think Bolton or Hibs were the meal he had in mind! I think he expected to at least get a job at a mid ranking Premiership club, eg WBA or Stoke. Must have been a shock to realise winning domestic trophies at Celtc doesn't really count in the wider world. Again, if he's appointed then fine but I think his stint at the Euros could be a showstopper.

O'Rourke3
05-06-2016, 11:14 AM
Lennon's bad reputation started way back here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8fMbxLTpps

EdinMike
05-06-2016, 11:20 AM
If he provides the mental and physical toughness that we have been lacking (see posts about hibs being 'too nicey' in recent years) then I'm all for it.

Holmesdale Hibs
05-06-2016, 11:22 AM
Why didn't Martin O'Neill get the same abuse?

Agree with this. There was several long and justified threads on here about Lennon's conduct as Celtic manager, can't remember O'Neill being that controversial.

I'm not saying it's all Lennon's fault, and he suffered a lot of stuff that no one should ever have to, but you wouldn't exactly say he kept a low profile.

CockneyRebel
05-06-2016, 11:23 AM
I agree, but I don't think Bolton or Hibs were the meal he had in mind! I think he expected to at least get a job at a mid ranking Premiership club, eg WBA or Stoke. Must have been a shock to realise winning domestic trophies at Celtc doesn't really count in the wider world. Again, if he's appointed then fine but I think his stint at the Euros could be a showstopper.

Read somewhere that he's only contracted for commentary on 3 NI matches.

Waxy
05-06-2016, 11:37 AM
[/B]Read somewhere that he's only contracted for commentary on 3 NI matches.

What dates are the 3 matches?

CapitalGreen
05-06-2016, 11:48 AM

It's not his fault that Scottish football is no longer held in high regard down south. In the past, a manager who won Scotland's FA cup with a second tier club would be coveted by bigger clubs than Rotherham - those days are probably in the past now though.

Finn2015
05-06-2016, 11:52 AM
He is no angel but by the same token, we all have done things or acted the prat on occasions. Whatever he is, he doesn't deserve what happened at tynie, being attacked by bigots in the street, death threats and all the other bigoted stuff he endured.

jgl07
05-06-2016, 12:28 PM
He is apparently a Gentleman away from the game, charity minded, pleasant to talk to etc. Bit of a beast of a Manager, who strives for success.....That will do for me.....
A (Leeds United supporting) pal of mine used to drink in Biddy Milligan's on Ashton Lane in the West End which was frequented by Lennon. He had a drink with him once and said he was a great guy.

On the pitch and in the dugout he comes across as a wee mouthy guy but one you would want to be on your side.

I don't think that Lennon spent huge amounts when managing Celtic. He sold McGeady for a Scottish record transfer fee and also Stephen McManus and Artur Boric. His signings tended to be unknown players like Gary Hooper from Sc*nthorpe. He also signed a number on frees including Charlie Mulgrew and Joe Ledley and Fraser Foster on loan.

A one year deal probably suits both parties perfectly. I will be surprised if he stays much longer but if he gets the job done who cares?

Alfred E Newman
05-06-2016, 12:53 PM

There is only one answer to that load of utter nonsense.
Deary, deary me.

mcfly
05-06-2016, 12:55 PM

Yes maybe all about opinions and judging by all the recent comments to your post you're on your own.

Give him a chance eh?

YehButNoBut
05-06-2016, 01:04 PM
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13332857_1184653858219487_5291761792582432183_n.jp g?oh=35b1650f936c8af4364cda0e90b5235e&oe=57C9A52C

GordonHFC
05-06-2016, 01:06 PM
Surely if he has already spoken with LD then these things would have been part of the discussions. If not what was discussed?

YehButNoBut
05-06-2016, 01:07 PM
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11792/10304628/neil-lennon-seeking-assurances-over-hibernian-job-sky-sources

Neil Lennon is interested in becoming the next Hibernian manager, but is seeking assurances over the club's budget, according to Sky sources.

Lennon and his representatives met with Hibernian chief executive Leeann Dempster and the club's head of football operations George Craig on Friday to discuss the vacant managerial position at Easter Road.

Sky sources understand Lennon was impressed by the vision sold to him by Dempster and Craig, but is keen to know what resources will be at his disposal if he does decide to take up the role at the Scottish Championship club.

The former Celtic and Bolton manager has also made it clear that he would want to bring his own backroom team to the club.

Sky sources understand Lennon would want Gary Parker, his assistant at Celtic and Bolton, to join him at Hibs if he agrees to take on the job.
Hibs have been searching for a new manager since Alan Stubbs left to join English Championship side Rotherham on a three-year deal (http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11747/10301467/alan-stubbs-is-new-rotherham-manager-after-leaving-hibernian).

Sky sources understand there are three other candidates under consideration, including Malky Mackay and former Hibs boss Alex McLeish.
McLeish joined Hibs in 1998 and lead them to the Scottish First Division title in his first season at the club.

He kept them in the top-flight for the following two seasons before leaving to become Rangers manager in 2001.

hibs0666
05-06-2016, 01:12 PM

Love it! Had to look up existential threat though.

Keith_M
05-06-2016, 01:20 PM
Wasn't it Neil Lennon's over reaction to a refereeing decision at Tannadice, then resultant Celtc minded paranoia in the press afterward, that lead to the Referee Strike and having to use Maltese Refs for a match?

He might be a gentleman away from the game but he could be a right t1t at times, so you can understand why some people, even outside the West Coast Bigot bowl, didn't like him.

I'm not saying that's a reason he shouldn't be Hibs' Manager but let's not pretend he was only disliked by the Norn-Iron wannabees through the west.

bigwheel
05-06-2016, 01:49 PM
Wasn't it Neil Lennon's over reaction to a refereeing decision at Tannadice, then resultant Celtc minded paranoia in the press afterward, that lead to the Referee Strike and having to use Maltese Refs for a match?

He might be a gentleman away from the game but he could be a right t1t at times, so you can understand why some people, even outside the West Coast Bigot bowl, didn't like him.

I'm not saying that's a reason he shouldn't be Hibs' Manager but let's not pretend he was only disliked by the Norn-Iron wannabees through the west.

Are you referring to the incident which proved there was collusion between officials, supervisor Dallas and the SFA Over a wrong decision ??

Finn2015
05-06-2016, 02:06 PM
I just want it sorted and then a period of stability. I look at the top league and find it ridiculous really that a club of our stature in Scotland has been in the second tier to the extent it has and we should be a regular top half of the table side in the top league. Let's hope that a new manager can deliver that

CapitalGreen
05-06-2016, 02:09 PM

I thought everyone liked the Maltese refs!

Waxy
05-06-2016, 02:10 PM
I thought everyone liked the Maltese refs!
Quite like Maltesers

Keith_M
05-06-2016, 02:11 PM
Are you referring to the incident which proved there was collusion between officials, supervisor Dallas and the SFA Over a wrong decision ??

You seem to be trying to excuse him but his behaviour, and that of his club, was totally over the top. So much so that it led to the first ever Referee's strike.

As I say, I'm not saying he shouldn't be given the Hibs job, but that the reasons that people disliked him were most certainly not all related to mindless bigotry.

bigwheel
05-06-2016, 02:13 PM
You seem to be trying to excuse him but his behaviour, and that of his club, was totally over the top. So much so that it led to the first ever Referee's strike.

As I say, I'm not saying he shouldn't be given the Hibs job, but that the reasons that people disliked him were most certainly not all related to mindless bigotry.

I can't recall all the detailedgoings on , but shouldn't it be those who colluded to shield the truth who get stick on this one ? Rather than those who chose to highlight it ?

The_Exile
05-06-2016, 02:15 PM
Ancient history as far as I'm concerned regarding the referee situation.

Keith_M
05-06-2016, 02:21 PM
I can't recall all the detailedgoings on , but shouldn't it be those who colluded to shield the truth who get stick on this one ? Rather than those who chose to highlight it ?

Of course they should but, as I said, his behaviour and that of his club in the aftermath were totally unacceptable.

Also, this was but one example of Lennon's public and footballing persona that made some people dislike him, which some people are now trying to pretend never happened and that he was always Mr Nice Guy, and only ever criticised by people that were blinded by bigotry.

I'm merely trying to demonstrate that there was a bit more to it than that

Incidentally, the referee, his linesman and the members of the SFA involved are not the subject of this thread, hence the reason I didn't feel it necessary to go into their part in the incident. If any of them are ever proposed for the Manager's job at ER, I'll happily discuss their previous failings as well.

Iggy Pope
05-06-2016, 02:25 PM

He was vindicated at the end of all that.

Aldo
05-06-2016, 02:26 PM

Wow!!

I really don't know what to say to this post!

It made me laugh out loud though!!

As for Lennon!! With him as manager (if he gets the gig) you can guarantee he'll not take any crap from anyone that slates his team!

Keith_M
05-06-2016, 02:30 PM

Actually, I don't think his behaviour in the aftermath was vindicated but I'm willing to accept that is a matter of opinion.

Just to clarify my standpoint, though. I have nothing against him being appointed Hibs' Manager and would happily accept his appointment. I was merely trying to point out that some may have had a personal dislike for Lennon that was for different reasons than some people have suggested.

That aside, my Dad doesn't like him for completely illogical reasons, but that's oldies for you

:duck:

:greengrin

s.a.m
05-06-2016, 02:37 PM

The referee changed the decision from a wrong one to a right one. He was only vindicated in that the referee was forced to admit that he had lied on his report about his reason for changing it (that his linesman alerted him to it, rather than just having realised straight away that he'd got it wrong). He probably did it to avoid the kind of ****storm that ensued.
If Lennon gets the job, he'll have my 100% support, and I'll be desperate for him to do well at Hibs, but when he was at Celtic, his behaviour was sometimes ugly and unnecessarily provocative.

Iggy Pope
05-06-2016, 02:38 PM
Actually, I don't think his behaviour in the aftermath was vindicated but I'm willing to accept that is a matter of opinion.

Just to clarify my standpoint, though. I have nothing against him being appointed Hibs' Manager and would happily accept his appointment. I was merely trying to point out that some may have had a personal dislike for Lennon that was for different reasons than some people have suggested.

That aside, my Dad doesn't like him for completely illogical reasons, but that's oldies for you

:duck:

:greengrin

I can't quite recall exactly where his behaviour went wrong or became a problem. Lies were told as far as I do recall but not by him.
He was a handful for the authorities all right, but given the chance so would 99% of the posters on here.

HoboHarry
05-06-2016, 02:38 PM
Wow!!

I really don't know what to say to this post!

It made me laugh out loud though!!

As for Lennon!! With him as manager (if he gets the gig) you can guarantee he'll not take any crap from anyone that slates his team!
Oh come now, be fair. I think HibsNibs is more qualified to recognize "classless" than most :greengrin

Eyrie
05-06-2016, 03:23 PM
I was regularly critical of the ginger whinger for his blame-shifting antics at Celtc.

Should he be fortunate enough to become the next Hibs boss then I will apologise to Mr Lennon for my ridiculous comments and give him my full backing every time that he points out that we have been the harsh victim of a very marginal refereeing judgment call :greengrin

Zazu62
05-06-2016, 03:34 PM
If our 3 targets are Lennon mcleish and mackay then I am happy with that

jacomo
05-06-2016, 03:44 PM
If our 3 targets are Lennon mcleish and mackay then I am happy with that

You won't be happy then.

HoboHarry
05-06-2016, 03:49 PM
You won't be happy then.
Who are our targets then?

Hermit Crab
05-06-2016, 03:58 PM

Both bits are important but the bit in bold is what matters most. :agree:

jgl07
05-06-2016, 04:00 PM
I also think he suggested a united Ireland team ala rugby. Never going to go down well with the blue half who would be itching for a 'valid' reason to hate someone.
One point is that Lennon, along with footballer born in the North could have opted to play for the Republic. He id not and gave good service to Northern Ireland and appeared to have no issues until be signed for Celtic.

Beefster
05-06-2016, 04:03 PM

There's two options here...

1. Neil Lennon's appointment would be a genuine existential threat to the club.

2. You've no idea what 'existential threat' means.

Personally, I'm undecided on which option is right.

Ronniekirk
05-06-2016, 04:59 PM
No problem with him looking for assurances on what the Player Budget is si he knows what lee way he has
No point in him taking the job id he doesn't think player budget is enough to get us up
But don't want this dragged out now If he is indeed our top target get it sorted by mid week or move on to others who are on short leet as we need to start getting players on board and new players signed up
We haven't hit the ground running last the last two seasons and have paid the price

147lothian
05-06-2016, 05:10 PM

I tend to agree with this post!

Waxy
05-06-2016, 05:10 PM
Stubbsy approves
http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/14537514.Alan_Stubbs_claims_Neil_Lennon_would_be_a _good_choice_for_Hibernian/

hibsbollah
05-06-2016, 05:17 PM
Stubbsy approves
http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/14537514.Alan_Stubbs_claims_Neil_Lennon_would_be_a _good_choice_for_Hibernian/

Stubbs is a classy person. I've always thought Sauzee and Fenlon were the two managers in recent times that had the strongest emotional bond with the club, Stubbs perhaps joins that company. Interesting that none of those three are Scots.

jacomo
05-06-2016, 05:19 PM
Who are our targets then?

I wouldn't know, but what makes anyone think McLeish is in the running?

And if we appoint McKay I will be quite cross about it.

Big L
05-06-2016, 05:20 PM
I prefer Mackay, I think he did great wi his previous clubs, exception being Wigan and I think he could probably bring his wee pal Danny Lennon to assist. Might get KT or Ian Murray as part of the team. I really feel NL is trouble, I know he did well wi Celtic but any clown would!

Pete
05-06-2016, 05:26 PM
I prefer Mackay, I think he did great wi his previous clubs, exception being Wigan and I think he could probably bring his wee pal Danny Lennon to assist. Might get KT or Ian Murray as part of the team. I really feel NL is trouble, I know he did well wi Celtic but any clown would!

"Clown" :rolleyes:

How do you think Lennon will be trouble?

Big L
05-06-2016, 05:31 PM
I just think trouble finds him and it's usually the sectarian kind. TBH I don't think he's worth the bother and we as a club don't need it. I see he want's to know his budget, wouldn't mind being a fly on the wall when LD & RP are discussing that one. I actually don't think we need him, their are better managers available wi less baggage!

Aldo
05-06-2016, 05:31 PM
Oh come now, be fair. I think HibsNibs is more qualified to recognize "classless" than most :greengrin
;-)

Michael
05-06-2016, 05:35 PM
I just think trouble finds him and it's usually the sectarian kind. TBH I don't think he's worth the bother and we as a club don't need it. I see he want's to know his budget, wouldn't mind being a fly on the wall when LD & RP are discussing that one. I actually don't think we need him, their are better managers available wi less baggage!

Aye, there was loads of sectarian trouble at Bolton right enough. :rolleyes:

bingo70
05-06-2016, 05:38 PM

Has he ever said anything sectarian?

I think he came across as a bit of a tit when Celtic manager but I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt, I think working with that amount of pressure and intensity is bound to take its toll, he was probably guilty of being too emotionally involved at times too. I think having a break from the old firm environment will have done him the world of good.

He wasn't my first choice but I'm certainly warming to the idea, forgetting the off the park stuff I think his biggest asset will be his experience in breaking teams down that have no intention of winning games and just wanting to put 11 men behind the ball.

marinello59
05-06-2016, 05:43 PM

He has been a victim of sectarian abuse. We dismiss him because of that? Really?

Big L
05-06-2016, 05:44 PM
I said" trouble finds him " I didn't say he said anything, he doesn't, have to! I also don't believe we can afford him, he wants to bring his own management team, Parker etc and he will be wanting a transfer budget, good f-----g luck wi that one.

Beefster
05-06-2016, 05:48 PM
I just think trouble finds him and it's usually the sectarian kind.

If only he hadn't been baptised, he might not have been so bothersome.

Big L
05-06-2016, 05:54 PM
I've been there!

hibs0666
05-06-2016, 05:55 PM
I said" trouble finds him " I didn't say he said anything, he doesn't, have to! I also don't believe we can afford him, he wants to bring his own management team, Parker etc and he will be wanting a transfer budget, good f-----g luck wi that one.

I want the hibs manager gets a budget so I wisl Lennon every bit of good luck with that discussion.

Finn2015
05-06-2016, 06:09 PM

I think that says more about bigots than Lennon. Jeez, how dare he agitate the bigots by being Irish and Catholic

Waxy
05-06-2016, 06:17 PM
12th June N Ireland v Poland
16th June N Ireland v Ukraine
21st June N Ireland v Germany

CapitalGreen
05-06-2016, 06:18 PM

Stubbs brought his own management team.

Mackay's win %s are

Watford 33%
Cardiff 43%
Wigan 20%

Not exactly stellar!

CapitalGreen
05-06-2016, 06:19 PM
12th June N Ireland v Poland
16th June N Ireland v Ukraine
21st June N Ireland v Germany

Celtic's first day back is June 21st, I wonder if we are similar.

Bothar Casca
05-06-2016, 06:27 PM

We don't currently have a management team so if he's got guys in mind then good. And he'll get a transfer budget just as Stubbs did last summer when We Got McGinn.