PDA

View Full Version : Looking ahead to next season

GreenNWhiteArmy
03-06-2016, 12:58 PM
Now that we've all had our say on the Stubbsy leaving chat - personally i think it might be time to move on from it, he has already said himself "Hibs was one chapter, Rotherham is a new chapter" we'll never forget the last 2 years but we are, what.... 3 weeks away from players returning for pre season?

Looking at the squad, how many times over the last 10/15 years have we had a squad where we've thought "yeah, the vast majority are good players here" and not having to empty serious deadwood. Obviously any new manager will have his own thoughts when he comes in and i'd imagine a few new signings to come in. Centre Half/Wingers and Striker would be my priority whilst also trying for cover at LB. Hopefully the business is done relatively quickly so that we "hit the ground running" and start bulldozing our way through teams and a +20 goal difference after 7 or 8 games. This for me has been the biggest criticism over the last 2 years - we don't go for the throats of teams and have games killed of by 60/70 mins instead its a tight affair with everyone (fans/players/management) nervy.

The fans - Rightly so we are all on a high after that glorious day on 21.05.16 and the subsequent parties that have followed. Its no secret that attendances have been, at times horrendous (Particularly this season) i remember being at Dumbarton at home and only just over 6k. Everybody has had various reasons for not attending the last couple years but my views are clear.... Although pricing is not ideal to play against the part time teams - that is almost irrelevant for me now. We have just done something that (having grown up listening to my dad about the teams he saw) no other team has done in 114 years. Hopefully that adds an extra couple thousand to the gate each week but what would be great is if we could sell out the Europa League qualifier - this could effectively be our game to "thank" the club for winning the Scottish and showing the rest of Scottish football that Hibs are in business. No longer are we the laughing stock for media and many other people throughout the country.

Lets get behind the club with an attacking side and romp the league going in to season 17/18 on a high ready to show the premiership that we are the capitals club :flag::flag:

jacomo
03-06-2016, 02:45 PM
Agree. The new manager is inheriting a good set up.

SlickShoes
03-06-2016, 03:06 PM
We do have a very good squad over all and it's something that any manager should find attractive. We need to get scoring more goals, hopefully we can start well and get larger attendances and then keep that good feeling going all season.

I'm finding it hard to look forward at the moment without a manager though, not really fussed who it is just hope we have someone in place soon that is aware of the job ahead and working towards it.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
03-06-2016, 03:19 PM
We do have a very good squad over all and it's something that any manager should find attractive. We need to get scoring more goals, hopefully we can start well and get larger attendances and then keep that good feeling going all season.

I'm finding it hard to look forward at the moment without a manager though, not really fussed who it is just hope we have someone in place soon that is aware of the job ahead and working towards it.

Even just to replace those leaving, wed still need minimum two, probably three forwards, one or two midfielders (dunno if Thomson will still play) and a defender to replace gunnarson. Another if hanlon leaves.

Assuming cummings leaves, thats another foward but also some cash to play with.

Agree the squad is generally pretty strong, apart from up top - weve lost stokes, dagnall, alagui and prob cummings.

jacomo
03-06-2016, 04:20 PM
Even just to replace those leaving, wed still need minimum two, probably three forwards, one or two midfielders (dunno if Thomson will still play) and a defender to replace gunnarson. Another if hanlon leaves.

Assuming cummings leaves, thats another foward but also some cash to play with.

Agree the squad is generally pretty strong, apart from up top - weve lost stokes, dagnall, alagui and prob cummings.

I think we'll get a development fee even if Cummings leaves at the end of his contract next summer. So we hold the cards here.

Clearly fresh faces needed up front but we don't need to try and move people on first. I'd favour an experienced no.9 - someone like Farid - and hopefully one or more of our development players can step up.