PDA

View Full Version : Hibs & The Gypsy Curse

hibby rae
02-06-2016, 06:56 PM
I did mention this to my brother at full time at Hampden. After all, there is a harp on the main stand once again! Coincidence? ;). Anyway I found this article to be a good read about Hibs' Irish connections. It's also devoid of the sensationalising hysteria spouted by certain west of Scotland based news sources, which I found refreshing.

http://irishpost.co.uk/the-irish-gypsys-curse-on-hibernian-fc-has-finally-been-broken/

Greencore
02-06-2016, 07:32 PM
Good read, does anyone actually believe Harry Swan tried to get rid of our Irish roots?

Finn2015
02-06-2016, 07:39 PM
Roots to be proud of although not in the twisted way that Celtic do it

jacomo
02-06-2016, 07:47 PM
It's an interesting if rather partisan read.

northstandhibby
02-06-2016, 07:48 PM
What a great read. A positive candid piece of the Club history and account of the Cup final. Still chuckle at the guys (or should that be grandads?) on the bar in the picture printed. Was there a Gypsy Curse? Some coincidence if not.

Hibernian Scottish Cup Winners 2016

Pretty Boy
02-06-2016, 07:52 PM

Indeed.

Whilst I'd never want us to go down the Celtic route I'm sometimes mystified as to why some people seem so borderline terrified of our roots at times.

I love everything about Hibs from our beginnings and formative years through to our proud Scottish, Edinburgh and Leith contemporary identity.

mentalhibee
02-06-2016, 07:55 PM
Great read, what a historic day it was! 🇳🇬

Glorious St Pat
02-06-2016, 08:14 PM
Good read, does anyone actually believe Harry Swan tried to get rid of our Irish roots?

Conjecture - yes & no. He certainly was forward thinking and the first non Catholic on the board. Celtic try and slander him as an anti Irish bigot but he did commission an Irish Connamara marble harp & shamrock mosaic placed in the board room (reproduction next to Hannan & Whelehan in main foyer now). He was also good friends with club clergy - Monsignor of St Ninians church.

Glorious St Pat
02-06-2016, 08:16 PM
Indeed.

Whilst I'd never want us to go down the Celtic route I'm sometimes mystified as to why some people seem so borderline terrified of our roots at times.

I love everything about Hibs from our beginnings and formative years through to our proud Scottish, Edinburgh and Leith contemporary identity.

Because IMO some are anti Irish bigots and tend to sweep our heritage under the carpet.

hibs#1
02-06-2016, 08:21 PM
Because IMO some are anti Irish bigots and tend to sweep our heritage under the carpet.

I agree with you,but I do believe you are about to get some pelters

Pretty Boy
02-06-2016, 08:27 PM

That wasn't really my line of thinking but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Glorious St Pat
02-06-2016, 08:35 PM
I agree with you,but I do believe you are about to get some pelters

It's ok - used to it.

northstandhibby
02-06-2016, 08:36 PM

Sometimes Pat you have to put certain things into context. Scotland is a country that embraced John Knox. It is steeped in Presbytarianism which is or was it's main religion. Over a long period of time many Protestants or people of other faiths or no faith at all have become Hibernian Supporters for non-religious reasons and therefore many people support Hibernian and have no link to it's heritage. So it's slightly unfair to cast anyone who does not embrace the heritage as much as you do of which I admire you for.

Glory Glory

The Harp Awakes
02-06-2016, 08:36 PM
I did mention this to my brother at full time at Hampden. After all, there is a harp on the main stand once again! Coincidence? ;). Anyway I found this article to be a good read about Hibs' Irish connections. It's also devoid of the sensationalising hysteria spouted by certain west of Scotland based news sources, which I found refreshing.

http://irishpost.co.uk/the-irish-gypsys-curse-on-hibernian-fc-has-finally-been-broken/

Really enjoyed reading that article. Thanks for posting.

I think the vast majority of Hibs fans these days are very proud of our Irish roots and happy to celebrate them. At the same time it's great that we are a Club for every creed and colour and with no prejudices. I love the Hibs:flag:

Greencore
02-06-2016, 08:37 PM
Got no problem with seeing the flag of Ireland at our games because of the obvious connection we have with the country. We should be proud of our roots. Obviously not in the Celtic way.... It's a shame our harp wasn't put back on for so long.... Any information on why we actually changed our club badge from a harp?

Greencore
02-06-2016, 08:39 PM
At the same time it's great that we are a Club for every creed and colour and with no prejudices. I love the Hibs:flag:

Agree, I saw a couple of Asian men at the Ross county final and Scottish cup final wearing green turbans and were so happy to see people from different backgrounds embrace Hibernian. Hibernian is for everyone.

Carheenlea
02-06-2016, 08:44 PM

You have overstepped the mark there. I have yet to encounter anything that could be construed as anti Irish bigotry at Easter Road.

Finn2015
02-06-2016, 08:45 PM
Agree, I saw a couple of Asian men at the Ross county final and Scottish cup final wearing green turbans and were so happy to see people from different backgrounds embrace Hibernian. Hibernian is for everyone.

Agreed, even social outcast and ne'er do wells like me

Pretty Boy
02-06-2016, 08:48 PM

Those guys are regulars in the FF stand. Always got the green and white turbans on on match days.

Mr White
02-06-2016, 08:49 PM
. I have yet to encounter anything that could be construed as anti Irish bigotry at Easter Road.

:agree:

davidw
02-06-2016, 09:16 PM

Here we go here we go here we go... And they're off!

Back to the article, I think this bit could be filed under Irish wishful thinking:

"At the 2016 Scottish Cup Final last week, Irish Tricolours were in abundance, suggesting a passionate new generation of Hibs supporters are embracing their history."

An alternative version might be: at the cup final there were a few tricolours around because this always happens when the teams meet and the Hibs fans want to annoy the Rangers fans...

FWIW I'm half Irish, and the tricolours at games always annoy me - simply because they make us look like Septic, and I want to have nothing in common with them.

davidw
02-06-2016, 09:21 PM

'Celtc'-esque tiresome, nonsensical, paranoid, gibbering nonsense.

Wee Effen Bee
02-06-2016, 09:23 PM
Really enjoyed reading that article. Thanks for posting.

I think the vast majority of Hibs fans these days are very proud of our Irish roots and happy to celebrate them. At the same time it's great that we are a Club for every creed and colour and with no prejudices. I love the Hibs:flag:

:agree: Agree totally Mr Harp. I have also been impressed with the number of girls/women turning up regularly to Eater Road this year.
Just like to add my opinion to the discussion of a 'curse' - balloxleys ! Nae such thing. If someone could defy the laws of physics just by uttering a few words, they wouldn't be sitting in a caravan somewhere telling fortunes for two bob, they would be ruling the world! They'll be telling us that some guy in a dress can turn water into wine by saying a wee magic spell over the cup next.:wink::greengrin

northstandhibby
02-06-2016, 09:24 PM
'Celtc'-esque tiresome, nonsensical, paranoid, gibbering nonsense.

That's just as unfair to Pat as he was to calling people out for being bigots!

Pat's just loves the origins of Hibernian Fc. Be fair now.

Glory Glory

Finn2015
02-06-2016, 09:24 PM

Back to the article, I think this bit could be filed under Irish wishful thinking:

"At the 2016 Scottish Cup Final last week, Irish Tricolours were in abundance, suggesting a passionate new generation of Hibs supporters are embracing their history."

An alternative version might be: at the cup final there were a few tricolours around because this always happens when the teams meet and the Hibs fans want to annoy the Rangers fans...

FWIW I'm half Irish, and the tricolours at games always annoy me - simply because they make us look like Septic, and I want to have nothing in common with them.

Can understand that but as someone from an Irish background, I welcome it and again, feel they can be attached to the club without the connotations that Celtic have. They are our roots and should be celebrated. Irish Scottish flags should be used by Hibernian supporters if they so wish.

Greencore
02-06-2016, 09:25 PM
Can understand that but as someone from an Irish background, I welcome it and again, feel they can be attached to the club without the connotations that Celtic have. They are our roots and should be celebrated. Irish Scottish flags should be used by Hibernian supporters if they so wish.

This.

The Modfather
02-06-2016, 09:28 PM

Most of us, myself included, simply see it as part of our rich history along with a lot of other things. It doesn't have much relevance to the club today in 2016.

There's probably as many Hibees out there who want to overplay our roots as there are anti Irish Hibs bigots.

Iggy Pope
02-06-2016, 09:31 PM
I found it encouraging that the Irish Times was being circulated at the back of the FF towards the end of the season. What is not to like when there is positive focus on Hibernian? They also afford space to the Glasgow and Dundee varieties.Their choice, welcome to that, but we are all Hibbies here. A paper that writes nice stuff about the Hibs? No brainer! EGB.

NAE NOOKIE
02-06-2016, 09:33 PM

I have never seen or heard any Hibs fan express that attitude ............ ever!

The lads from the FF .... love those Green & White turbans :agree:

Iggy Pope
02-06-2016, 09:36 PM
Those guys are regulars in the FF stand. Always got the green and white turbans on on match days.

PB. In the 70s we had a significant Leith Sikh following. No question why it waned, but I love seeing these fellahs back. And by the way, they can wear whatever colour they want on their bonce!

northstandhibby
02-06-2016, 09:36 PM
I found it encouraging that the Irish Times was being circulated at the back of the FF towards the end of the season. What is not to like when there is positive focus on Hibernian? They also afford space to the Glasgow and Dundee varieties.Their choice, welcome to that, but we are all Hibbies here. A paper that writes nice stuff about the Hibs? No brainer! EGB.

This

A welcome change from reading the Jim Traynoresque guff in the Scottish media.

Glory Glory

Glorious St Pat
02-06-2016, 10:18 PM
You have overstepped the mark there. I have yet to encounter anything that could be construed as anti Irish bigotry at Easter Road.

Don't think I have. I know plenty of Hibbies who constantly refer to "that Irish pish". Likewise, Hibbies calling Stokes a Fenian ******* or currently likewise if Lennon for the Hibs job. I'm all for equality but what does that say of their own Hibs mindset?

Glorious St Pat
02-06-2016, 10:23 PM

So David other than the Irish flag, what should we fly against the Huns? For me, I would out Celtic Celtic with a plain dark green flag with gold Harp - the original Irish flag. Indeed there were a few at the final draped over the fences at the East.

BroxburnHibee
02-06-2016, 10:27 PM

You're entitled to your opinion.

It's a rubbish one though.

Eyrie
02-06-2016, 10:27 PM
So David other than the Irish flag, what should we fly against the Huns? For me, I would out Celtic Celtic with a plain dark green flag with gold Harp - the original Irish flag. Indeed there were a few at the final draped over the fences at the East.

Why would we want to out-Celtc Celtc? Or fly any flag specifically to annoy Huns?

We're a 21st century inclusive Scottish club founded in the 19th century by excluded Irish. It's very easy to acknowledge and be proud of those roots without still being defined by them 141 years later.

Jonny1875
02-06-2016, 10:32 PM
Gonna keep this short.
I'm Irish and get over to around 3 games a season, I've never seen or heard anything anti-Irish but then again I don't fly a tricolour at hibs games...I'm there to watch football not make a statement. Proud my club is connected to Ireland and has the harp on the badge and wears the famous green. Happy also to see the odd Hibs fan waving a tricolour.
Basically hibs aren't Irish they are a Scottish team in Scotland I accept this 100 percent but I never ever think we as a fan collective try to present anything different.

Super_JMcGinn
02-06-2016, 10:33 PM

I love everything about our rich Irish history but I would draw the line at flying an Irish flag or anything Irish for that matter, we are a Scottish club now end of story, far removed from the team who were founded for the Irish immigrants living in Edinburgh.

I don't like seeing the Erin Go Bragh flags, not because I am remotely Bigoted against the Irish but would rather see a Hibernian flag or a green St Andrews is a particular fav of mine.

I have been going to ER since the early 90s and not once have I EVER heard an anti Irish chant or anti catholic chant aimed at Hibs by our own support.

Glorious St Pat
02-06-2016, 10:41 PM
I love everything about our rich Irish history but I would draw the line at flying an Irish flag or anything Irish for that matter, we are a Scottish club now end of story, far removed from the team who were founded for the Irish immigrants living in Edinburgh.

I don't like seeing the Erin Go Bragh flags, not because I am remotely Bigoted against the Irish but would rather see a Hibernian flag or a green St Andrews is a particular fav of mine.

I have been going to ER since the early 90s and not once have I EVER heard an anti Irish chant or anti catholic chant aimed at Hibs by our own support.

That's fine Gail but what your inadvertently doing is ignoring the Irish roots and accentuating the Scottish roots. What about a compromise ( that I've seen several times) a trio of Hibs flags stitched together - Erin go Brag, green saltire and Irish flag? Personally love seeing the EGB flag as it is our original motto.

Glorious St Pat
02-06-2016, 10:43 PM

If you love everything about our rich Irish heritage, why are you averse to displaying anything about it other than our Scottish roots too?

NAE NOOKIE
02-06-2016, 10:44 PM
Don't think I have. I know plenty of Hibbies who constantly refer to "that Irish pish". Likewise, Hibbies calling Stokes a Fenian ******* or currently likewise if Lennon for the Hibs job. I'm all for equality but what does that say of their own Hibs mindset?

What Hibbies? ...... you come out with this pish all the time ......... I defy anybody on this forum to come out and say they have heard Hibs supporters refer to the clubs Irish heritage or a Hibs player ( even if he is on loan ) in these terms.

There are loads of Hibs fans, myself included, who don't want to see us acting like Celtic .. that does NOT mean we have any problem with the clubs Irish heritage !!! ......... There are a number of Hibs fans who are not too keen on Anthony Stokes alleged family connections to the IRA ... that is because they don't like to see women and kids blown up ... not because they think Anthony Stokes is a 'Fenian *******' or even because they are not sympathetic to a united Ireland ... which I for one certainly am.

Are you seriously saying there are Hibs fans out there who don't want Neil Lennon to get the job because he is an Irish Catholic? ....... Seriously ????

There are times I seriously think you are a Yam or a Zombie trying to stir the **** ... I really do !!!

Glorious St Pat
02-06-2016, 10:53 PM
At the end of the day we should be united in all things Hibernian - and that includes traditionalists, Republicans, atheists, Catholics, Protestants, Irish, Scottish, European etc. Let's compromise - Green saltire with a gold harp in the middle? Canon Hannan would be proud!

jacomo
02-06-2016, 10:54 PM
That's fine Gail but what your inadvertently doing is ignoring the Irish roots and accentuating the Scottish roots. What about a compromise ( that I've seen several times) a trio of Hibs flags stitched together - Erin go Brag, green saltire and Irish flag? Personally love seeing the EGB flag as it is our original motto.

Here's a compromise - you celebrate our history however you want, and let others do likewise.

Not wanting to fly a tricolour at a Hibs game isn't bigotry, but forcing someone to do it is.

Revel in our diversity. Hibs accepts all comers, it's great.

Glorious St Pat
02-06-2016, 10:57 PM
What Hibbies? ...... you come out with this pish all the time ......... I defy anybody on this forum to come out and say they have heard Hibs supporters refer to the clubs Irish heritage or a Hibs player ( even if he is on loan ) in these terms.

There are loads of Hibs fans, myself included, who don't want to see us acting like Celtic .. that does NOT mean we have any problem with the clubs Irish heritage !!! ......... There are a number of Hibs fans who are not too keen on Anthony Stokes alleged family connections to the IRA ... that is because they don't like to see women and kids blown up ... not because they think Anthony Stokes is a 'Fenian *******' or even because they are not sympathetic to a united Ireland ... which I for one certainly am.

Are you seriously saying there are Hibs fans out there who don't want Neil Lennon to get the job because he is an Irish Catholic? ....... Seriously ????

There are times I seriously think you are a Yam or a Zombie trying to stir the **** ... I really do !!!

Defo not a Yam or wind up merchant - HSL and season ticket holder for many a year and yes you'll just have to believe me - I have heard those terms against Stokes and Lennon in current guise by fellow, so called Hibs fans - sad but true.

NAE NOOKIE
02-06-2016, 10:59 PM
Defo not a Yam or wind up merchant - HSL and season ticket holder for many a year and yes you'll just have to believe me - I have heard those terms against Stokes and Lennon in current guise by fellow, so called Hibs fans - sad but true.

I don't believe you.

Glorious St Pat
02-06-2016, 11:03 PM
Ok - East Stand CC 113 - and been said to me by some in both the Hibs Club and local boozer too who were at the final.

pacorosssco
02-06-2016, 11:04 PM

Decent jambo breakin curse while pissed 2015

Glorious St Pat
02-06-2016, 11:06 PM
Oh and ask any of the St Pats committee too - they'll vouch for me with regards my Hibbiness - first game against Strasbourg at the Holy Ground (sorry...not allowed to say that....banish me and Lugton for it!)

NAE NOOKIE
02-06-2016, 11:08 PM
Ok - East Stand CC 113 - and been said to me by some in both the Hibs Club and local boozer too who were at the final.

If you mean these people were telling you they didn't want an Irish Catholic as Hibs manager I presume you reported them to the HSA committee .. the club is after all non sectarian.

pacorosssco
02-06-2016, 11:11 PM

Decent jambo breakin curse while pissed 2015

Brother robert of broxburn above confirmed good yam. Curse breaker

NAE NOOKIE
02-06-2016, 11:17 PM
Oh and ask any of the St Pats committee too - they'll vouch for me with regards my Hibbiness - first game against Strasbourg at the Holy Ground (sorry...not allowed to say that....banish me and Lugton for it!)

You can say what you like mate, its a free country ............ why would anybody find calling ER 'the holy ground' offensive? ... the last time I looked the word 'holy' wasn't faith or denomination specific.

BroxburnHibee
02-06-2016, 11:36 PM
Pat you clearly love the fact we have an Irish heritage and that is your right.

Personally I believe the vast majority of Hibs fans are respectful of our heritage and I feel having the harp on our badge is enough of a nod to our past.

We're a modern Scottish club in a modern stadium.

We may have Irish roots but that was a long time ago.

marinello59
03-06-2016, 04:33 AM

Aye, calling ER the Holy Ground has always caused outrage hasn't it? Give it a rest, how many times are you going to come out with this sort of rubbish?
There are bigots amongst our support who will twist people's words and insert their own to suit some out dated agenda. You might not be looking in the right place to see the most blatant example on here though.

Keith_M
03-06-2016, 05:41 AM
Here's a bit about MY background.

On My Dad's side: East Lothian CofS stalwarts, one was a church Elder, Uncles and cousins who are/were Masons. Almost all are also Hibbies, but we have a couple of Yams and Rangers Fans.

On my Mum's Side: My great-great grandfather was one of the founders of the Orange Lodge in Airdrie. His son disagreed with bigotry and moved east to get away from it.

The only RC relatives I have are from families my Aunt and Uncle married into. One of those RC families are staunch Jambos and the other are Celtc Fans.

I have no connection with Ireland other than through my club of choice, but I'm proud of the origins of that club and love it's name, colours and history.

I have no desire whatsoever to recreate a Celtc/Rangers style division in the east, so find the people that take tricolours to games against Hearts and Rangers purely to wind-up opposition fans to be irritating and dumb.

I go to games with a green scarf with a harp on the badge, shout on a team called Hibernian and my flag of choice is a green saltire.

If you're unhappy with any that, then YOU are the one with the problem.

Yorkshire HFC
03-06-2016, 05:46 AM
Indeed.

Not terrified - but it is 2016 - it doesn't mean anything to me. Hibs are an Edinburgh team - I support them because I grew up in Edinburgh.

Brizo
03-06-2016, 05:50 AM
Good article which , unlike the Scottish media (tabloid, broadsheet and BBC), has put the pitch invasion into perspective. Obviously the Irish Post doesn't feel any need to pander to a hun audience :greengrin and its a sad indictment of our countries media that you have to look outside it to get comment that isn't sensationalised.

Richard Purden is a Celtic fan who writes Celtic books so its obvious he has approached things from that viewpoint. His article is however pretty spot on with the exception of his comment about the number of Tricolours on display. Id suggest that was just good old fashioned hun baiting and nowhere like that number were at the Ross County LCF.

The gypsy curse and the fact that we won the Cup in the same season that crests including the harp were put up on the West Stand (and a replica of our original crest placed in its foyer) , might be romantic nonsense but its our romantic nonsense. Its another part of the "Holy Grail" story.

As a club, Hibernian, strike the right balance between acknowledging and showing pride in our history while making it a place where people from all backgrounds and beliefs can feel at home. That's a very difficult balance to strike and I sometimes think our club don't get enough credit for achieving that.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
03-06-2016, 06:06 AM
Get this thread back on track.

Glad to see the article focus on us, thought it was a fairly unfocussed piece.

Even if there was no curse (we must have gone a good 50 years before the curse without winning it anyway) it is quite a coincidence that we do win it when the harp is restored.

Take notr if we ever redevelop the west!!

JimBHibees
03-06-2016, 06:44 AM
Good article which , unlike the Scottish media (tabloid, broadsheet and BBC), has put the pitch invasion into perspective. Obviously the Irish Post doesn't feel any need to pander to a hun audience :greengrin and its a sad indictment of our countries media that you have to look outside it to get comment that isn't sensationalised.

Richard Purden is a Celtic fan who writes Celtic books so its obvious he has approached things from that viewpoint. His article is however pretty spot on with the exception of his comment about the number of Tricolours on display. Id suggest that was just good old fashioned hun baiting and nowhere like that number were at the Ross County LCF.

The gypsy curse and the fact that we won the Cup in the same season that crests including the harp were put up on the West Stand (and a replica of our original crest placed in its foyer) , might be romantic nonsense but its our romantic nonsense. Its another part of the "Holy Grail" story.

As a club, Hibernian, strike the right balance between acknowledging and showing pride in our history while making it a place where people from all backgrounds and beliefs can feel at home. That's a very difficult balance to strike and I sometimes think our club don't get enough credit for achieving that.

Great post agree with all of that especially the last part.

Super_JMcGinn
03-06-2016, 07:06 AM
If you love everything about our rich Irish heritage, why are you averse to displaying anything about it other than our Scottish roots too?
Because it is part of our History and nothing to do with the hear and now. I love our history as it makes us unique, even your beloved Celtic can't claim to have as rich an Irish history as ours, I am guessing it is why they hate us so. When Celtic were formed they tried everything in their power to destroy us, and they damn well nearly succeeded, for that we have the likes of Heart of Midlothian and Rangers to thank. :aok:

Northern Hibby
03-06-2016, 07:06 AM
:agree: Agree totally Mr Harp. I have also been impressed with the number of girls/women turning up regularly to Eater Road this year.
Just like to add my opinion to the discussion of a 'curse' - balloxleys ! Nae such thing. If someone could defy the laws of physics just by uttering a few words, they wouldn't be sitting in a caravan somewhere telling fortunes for two bob, they would be ruling the world! They'll be telling us that some guy in a dress can turn water into wine by saying a wee magic spell over the cup next.:wink::greengrin

Jesus christ man that's blasphemy!

northstandhibby
03-06-2016, 07:13 AM
The wide range of differing views demonstrates Hibernian Football Club is a broad church thankfully. There are people like Pat who embrace it's origins with passion and a whole range of supporters from different faiths no faiths and backgrounds. In the 21st century it is to be welcomed that we are an open diverse football family.

Unlike the Huns who maintain their stone-age mentality however the politicians are circling them as they too must embrace change soon!

Glory Glory

mjhibby
03-06-2016, 07:19 AM

My family background is very mixed to say the least but one half is totally Irish. I love everything about the history of the club and the more you read about us giving Celtic half our team,the hoop strip etc only makes me prouder. What the final and the parade showed is that we welcome everybody to support our club. It's only the extreme elements that in this day and age we can do without and I haven't seen or heard any of that for many a season which makes me proud of our club. If you go to Dublin you see the reverence James connolly is held and his life should be celebrated but unfortunately the extreme elements attach to this and bring the bigotry we don't want to the party. Is it a coincidence we win the cup on the centenary of the uprising. We are a Scottish club but should be proud of all our history. I sure as heck am.

lucky
03-06-2016, 07:43 AM
Hibs history is what it is. The origins of our club and the way it was formed should always be remembered. But Hibernian FC in 2016 should not tolerate any level of bigotry, sectarianism and politics. Hibs are a Edinburgh club with supporters from across world with different backgrounds and beliefs. We should leave all these beliefs at the turnstiles and support Hibs, our club.

Finn2015
03-06-2016, 09:05 AM
My family background is very mixed to say the least but one half is totally Irish. I love everything about the history of the club and the more you read about us giving Celtic half our team,the hoop strip etc only makes me prouder. What the final and the parade showed is that we welcome everybody to support our club. It's only the extreme elements that in this day and age we can do without and I haven't seen or heard any of that for many a season which makes me proud of our club. If you go to Dublin you see the reverence James connolly is held and his life should be celebrated but unfortunately the extreme elements attach to this and bring the bigotry we don't want to the party. Is it a coincidence we win the cup on the centenary of the uprising. We are a Scottish club but should be proud of all our history. I sure as heck am.

Great post and sums it all up for me

AndyM_1875
03-06-2016, 09:30 AM
Hibs history is what it is. The origins of our club and the way it was formed should always be remembered. But Hibernian FC in 2016 should not tolerate any level of bigotry, sectarianism and politics. Hibs are a Edinburgh club with supporters from across world with different backgrounds and beliefs. We should leave all these beliefs at the turnstiles and support Hibs, our club.

THIS!

I come from a mixed background (CoS & Catholics in my family) but pretty much athiest these days.
I've followed Hibs for over 35 years and I am proud our support is a tolerant non bigoted one. I love the historic Irish links and I'm equally proud of the links to the Port of Leith.
So what is not to like?

The DNA of our club contains lots of different things: Irish roots, Leith, Famous Five, Turnbull's Tornadoes, 2007 LC Win, Scottish Cup 2016 etc

We welcome all.

NAE NOOKIE
03-06-2016, 10:48 AM
Not terrified - but it is 2016 - it doesn't mean anything to me. Hibs are an Edinburgh team - I support them because I grew up in Edinburgh.

This is exactly why I support Hibs and I bet just about every person who supports the club is the same I would guess .... they either grew up in Hibs supporting families, had schoolmates who were Hibs fans .... or like me ( with no family members into football ) made a conscious decision to follow the club because its from Edinburgh.

I have huge pride in the fact that I was born in Edinburgh and that pride as much as anything influenced my decision ... my family lived in Leith until I was 7 so it had to be Hibs. The clubs Irish background and history were of absolutely no consequence to that decision ... In fact at the age of 15 when my childish infatuation with the old firm ( Celtic ) was abruptly brought to an end I had utterly no idea of Hibs Irish roots.

It was only much later that I was made aware of the background of the clubs founders .... at which time I saw that there was some pride to be had in their brave struggle for social inclusion. But as far as I'm concerned that's the clubs past, when I look at its badge the castle and the ship represent my feelings for the club and my attachment to it ... the harp is an entirely appropriate nod to its founders.

When I look at Hibs today I see a club where as far as 95% of our fans are concerned nobody gives a rats arse what religion, colour, sex or sexual orientation a person is and if you are in the 5% the sooner you are gone the better.

Waxy
03-06-2016, 11:11 AM
I'm certain a young irish laddie didn't know what he was about to create when he dreamed us up in the summer of 1875.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
03-06-2016, 11:21 AM
Maybe the gypsy curse was actuallt that we should be cursed with 'flag' debates until the end of history...

GreensesArab
03-06-2016, 01:15 PM

I agree. I'm proud of the fact that Hibs had to fight prejudice and bigotry in order to get established. And whilst we do recognise our roots in the harp on our crest, the green and white colours and our name (that's something Celtic couldn't steal from us when they were formed), we're a forward looking, modern thinking, progressive club. I think that's why are support is inclusive and cuts through issues such as race, religion and gender.

Northern Hibby
03-06-2016, 03:45 PM
Think I saw some where WE CELEBRATE OR HISTORY BUT WE DON'T REVEL IN IT!

FranckSuzy
03-06-2016, 04:58 PM

Let's not go there with regards to the Committee eh?

All religions AND none are welcome at Hibs/St. Pat's :aok:

lord bunberry
03-06-2016, 06:00 PM
I've got no real interest in our Irish roots if I'm being honest. I support hibs because my dad did, I grew up in leith, I went to lorne primary and leith academy. Almost all my mates are hibs fans and we all went to games together. I've got no problem with others celebrating our Irish history, but I don't like people trying to force it upon me.

Iggy Pope
03-06-2016, 06:19 PM
Let's not go with regards to the Committee eh?

All religions AND none are welcome at Hibs/St. Pat's :aok:

The man was only looking for some back. Verification that he is not the Yam he was accused of being. Being a St Pats member should rule that one right out? (Not a member meself, but an old boy of the school and the parish).

fat freddy
03-06-2016, 07:13 PM
Having read this piece it has become evident that the cup win is down to me. It is said that the removal of the harp from the stand resulted in the curse being cast upon us. I'd read bits about the mosaic harp before and as some of you may know I spent a few years creating a new one in my spare time. My masterpiece was donated to the club and placed in the famous five foyer immediately after the end of the Butcher era and at the start of the Stubbs era. With the benefit of hindsight it appears that this resulted in the curse being lifted and our historic Scottish Cup win. I'm a modest guy but it's pretty clear that the cup win is down to me. Do I get a free season ticket for next season?

Greencore
03-06-2016, 07:33 PM
Having read this piece it has become evident that the cup win is down to me. It is said that the removal of the harp from the stand resulted in the curse being cast upon us. I'd read bits about the mosaic harp before and as some of you may know I spent a few years creating a new one in my spare time. My masterpiece was donated to the club and placed in the famous five foyer immediately after the end of the Butcher era and at the start of the Stubbs era. With the benefit of hindsight it appears that this resulted in the curse being lifted and our historic Scottish Cup win. I'm a modest guy but it's pretty clear that the cup win is down to me. Do I get a free season ticket for next season?

You get full loyalty points!

Iggy Pope
03-06-2016, 08:02 PM

Man, was that you? It is indeed, beautiful. I take back everything I said about London Calling.
You should be proud. Jf I was punker I'd be having it off the wall when G4S guy isnae looking (although that would increase the curse vibe, so I'd leave it where it was).. Tremendous work. You have another admirer.

fat freddy
03-06-2016, 08:22 PM
Man, was that you? It is indeed, beautiful. I take back everything I said about London Calling.
You should be proud. Jf I was punker I'd be having it off the wall when G4S guy isnae looking (although that would increase the curse vibe, so I'd leave it where it was).. Tremendous work. You have another admirer.

Security is a concern, they have all sorts of functions in the FF suite and it would be easy to chore it if there was no one from G4S there to guard it. I had no say over where it was hung, the guys from the historical trust and the stadium manager decided without consulting me. I wanted it hung in one of the concourses under the stands so it could be viewed by everyone and not just those using the FF facilities. I was just pleased that they accepted it and felt it worthy of a place in the stadium. The fact that it lifted the curse is a bonus.

Danderhall Hibs
03-06-2016, 08:33 PM
Security is a concern, they have all sorts of functions in the FF suite and it would be easy to chore it if there was no one from G4S there to guard it. I had no say over where it was hung, the guys from the historical trust and the stadium manager decided without consulting me. I wanted it hung in one of the concourses under the stands so it could be viewed by everyone and not just those using the FF facilities. I was just pleased that they accepted it and felt it worthy of a place in the stadium. The fact that it lifted the curse is a bonus.

Well done :aok:

fat freddy
03-06-2016, 08:46 PM
Well done :aok:

No problem, I'm going to do a mosaic of the famous five next which should ensure 3 league titles in the next five years... Here to help

basehibby
03-06-2016, 08:46 PM

Being the canny businessman he was he probably would have liked to widen the appeal of the club as much as possible. Don't think he tried to get rid of our Irish roots though - hardly possible for a club named Hibernian afterall!