PDA

View Full Version : John Doolan talks

RoxburghHibs
02-06-2016, 01:26 PM
“It’s done now and it was unbelievable living in Edinburgh amongst the fans and I’ll be a Hibee for the rest of my life now.

“Once you’ve gone in there and you see how the fans have been with us and the club including everyone that’s been with us behind the scenes, it’s a really heartbreaking decision to make.”

http://www.themillers.co.uk/news/article/rotherham-united-john-doolan-3132605.aspx

Moulin Yarns
02-06-2016, 01:29 PM
“It’s done now and it was unbelievable living in Edinburgh amongst the fans and I’ll be a Hibee for the rest of my life now.

“Once you’ve gone in there and you see how the fans have been with us and the club including everyone that’s been with us behind the scenes, it’s a really heartbreaking decision to make.”

http://www.themillers.co.uk/news/article/rotherham-united-john-doolan-3132605.aspx

Love the shirt sponsors - Hodge Clemco manufacturers of "Abrasive Blasting Equipment"

jacomo
02-06-2016, 01:30 PM
Love the guy.

He spoke so warmly about us after the final, you could tell it was a really emotional moment for him.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
02-06-2016, 01:33 PM
Lovely guy. Absolute gentlemen and Hibs legend.

MrSmith
02-06-2016, 01:34 PM
That's very cool and good to hear :)

GreenArmyyy!
02-06-2016, 01:38 PM
More gutted that he is gone than Stubbs to be honest. He really got what it mean to be one of us.

CallumLaidlaw
02-06-2016, 01:39 PM
Before the Tynecastle cup game, we were waiting outside the Murrayfield Hotel, and the team bus went past. JD was sitting in the very front seat beside the driver. When he saw the Hibs fans he started thumping his chest and fist pumping, mouthing "come on". Real passion from the guy!

TheMentalHibees
02-06-2016, 01:47 PM
His celebration after grays winner in the final showed what the club means to him. Much respect and no hard feelings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HibbiesandtheBaddies
02-06-2016, 02:01 PM
More gutted that he is gone than Stubbs to be honest. He really got what it mean to be one of us.

Agreed. Doolan is Hibs class.

gogsy23
02-06-2016, 02:32 PM
JD top guy and will be missed

Craig_HFC
02-06-2016, 02:34 PM
What a man.

Sounds like he was happier to stay here than Stubbs was (if that makes any sense)

LancashireHibby
02-06-2016, 02:49 PM

This. Had the pleasure of a train journey back south last season with him and Andy Holden. Two cracking fellas who simply 'got' Hibs. I got a text from JD on the Monday after the final simply saying "we did it". Hibs class.

Heedersnvolleys
02-06-2016, 04:27 PM
His celebration after grays winner in the final showed what the club means to him. Much respect and no hard feelings.

Anybody got a video of this? As have heard this a few times now but never saw as I was at the toilet with my daughter when all this was going on. Can you believe it!!!!

SJM
02-06-2016, 04:33 PM
What a man.

Sounds like he was happier to stay here than Stubbs was (if that makes any sense)

No he wasn't. Stubbs' loyalty to Doolan took him back down the road. Ultimate professional though and loved the club.

Craig_HFC
02-06-2016, 04:35 PM
No he wasn't. Stubbs' loyalty to Doolan took him back down the road. Ultimate professional though and loved the club.

No, what I was saying is that it seems it was harder for Doolan to leave us than it was for Stubbs to.

Don't get me wrong; Doolan was always going with Stubbs but I reckon JD would have been happier to stay here than Stubbs would have been if they both stayed.

TheMentalHibees
02-06-2016, 05:00 PM
Anybody got a video of this? As have heard this a few times now but never saw as I was at the toilet with my daughter when all this was going on. Can you believe it!!!!

It's on the first page of the images & videos mega thread. Follow the link for "press box view of goal".

OsloHibs
02-06-2016, 06:11 PM

It's on dylan (player) page on twitter if you have a look on that.

bigwheel
02-06-2016, 06:14 PM

sorry, are you saying you missed the winning goal??? Yikes! did you realise it was us that scored???

gillythehibby
02-06-2016, 08:29 PM
Must be spewing rae leave oot au loyalty to join a pub team eh?

BoomtownHibees
02-06-2016, 08:30 PM
Must be spewing rae leave oot au loyalty to join a pub team eh?

I agree

I think

brog
02-06-2016, 08:35 PM
2 years ago I was at Hoylake for The Open & met some Everton fans who were friends with JD. At that time he & AS had just signed up & were horrified at their inheritance, no goalie for a start!. They called JD up & he was just great, got the club from the start. Great guy, did a tremendous job, I wish him & AS well.

monktonharp
02-06-2016, 08:56 PM
Must be spewing rae leave oot au loyalty to join a pub team eh?say what you want, or your view on things mate. If you had the pleasure to have been in John Doolan's company though , I am sure you'd have a different view. John and big Taff, along with Alan Stubbs, were great guys in the company of real Hibernian fans, and Doolan really had a passion about our club. he /they stayed very close to me and had a couple of beers in my local at times. they would talk fitba' all day to anyone and were great to meet. I am very sad at John's departure as he had told us just after we got to the final that (his words) we are not coming back from this one without the cup, and it will sit in that cabinet beside us for a couple of hours mate (again his words) in this pub. on the Sunday, I got in touch and said, we'll hold you to that. he replied, when we get the chance, it will be in your "wee" pub!. obviously that cant happen now, as he is no longer an employee of HFC, but half an hour after that message he took the trouble to come into our boozer and had to refuse a dozen offers for a drink.. even the bar manager, offered him one . for anyone to somehow have a sly dig at Doolan, I have to say get a grip. he buried his Da, a scaffolder that was still graftin' at the age of 73, only 2 weeks ago and if he wants to be much closer to his family then so be it. utter respect.

EVENTUALLY
02-06-2016, 09:12 PM
say what you want, or your view on things mate. If you had the pleasure to have been in John Doolan's company though , I am sure you'd have a different view. John and big Taff, along with Alan Stubbs, were great guys in the company of real Hibernian fans, and Doolan really had a passion about our club. he /they stayed very close to me and had a couple of beers in my local at times. they would talk fitba' all day to anyone and were great to meet. I am very sad at John's departure as he had told us just after we got to the final that (his words) we are not coming back from this one without the cup, and it will sit in that cabinet beside us for a couple of hours mate (again his words) in this pub. on the Sunday, I got in touch and said, we'll hold you to that. he replied, when we get the chance, it will be in your "wee" pub!. obviously that cant happen now, as he is no longer an employee of HFC, but half an hour after that message he took the trouble to come into our boozer and had to refuse a dozen offers for a drink.. even the bar manager, offered him one . for anyone to somehow have a sly dig at Doolan, I have to say get a grip. he buried his Da, a scaffolder that was still graftin' at the age of 73, only 2 weeks ago and if he wants to be much closer to his family then so be it. utter respect.

Well said. The Hibs bus passed ours on the M8 on the way home from Hampden and no one was more animated than John Doolan, giving huge big lifts of the cup to all of us. Loved it. Good luck to him and his.

dp00
02-06-2016, 09:17 PM
Think someone is doolans close family passed away not long before final so going back closer to home might have been more appealing after this

monktonharp
02-06-2016, 09:19 PM
he will probably be back up, to clear out his goods/desk/belongings etc and I hope to get a chance to shake his hand. A proper good man.:agree:

pacorosssco
02-06-2016, 09:22 PM
say what you want, or your view on things mate. If you had the pleasure to have been in John Doolan's company though , I am sure you'd have a different view. John and big Taff, along with Alan Stubbs, were great guys in the company of real Hibernian fans, and Doolan really had a passion about our club. he /they stayed very close to me and had a couple of beers in my local at times. they would talk fitba' all day to anyone and were great to meet. I am very sad at John's departure as he had told us just after we got to the final that (his words) we are not coming back from this one without the cup, and it will sit in that cabinet beside us for a couple of hours mate (again his words) in this pub. on the Sunday, I got in touch and said, we'll hold you to that. he replied, when we get the chance, it will be in your "wee" pub!. obviously that cant happen now, as he is no longer an employee of HFC, but half an hour after that message he took the trouble to come into our boozer and had to refuse a dozen offers for a drink.. even the bar manager, offered him one . for anyone to somehow have a sly dig at Doolan, I have to say get a grip. he buried his Da, a scaffolder that was still graftin' at the age of 73, only 2 weeks ago and if he wants to be much closer to his family then so be it. utter respect.

Joppas little cave? i agree while bit peeved stubbs. JD, Taff working way up ladder without the wealth came Stubbs playing career. Real Football men who deserve a little bit more living gaff together two years. Looks thier desire club greater Stubbs but 21.05.2016 is theirs we move on. Shame didnt take cup Ormacliquey annoy greater jambo regular masonics :) Joppa ROCKS

CropleyWasGod
02-06-2016, 09:25 PM
Joppas little cave? i agree while bit peeved stubbs. JD, Taff working way up ladder without the wealth came Stubbs playing career. Real Football men who deserve a little bit more living gaff together two years. Looks thier desire club greater Stubbs but 21.05.2016 is theirs we move on. Shame didnt take cup Ormacliquey annoy greater jambo regular masonics :) Joppa ROCKS

Are you Stanley Unwin?

:greengrin

Heedersnvolleys
02-06-2016, 09:28 PM
sorry, are you saying you missed the winning goal??? Yikes! did you realise it was us that scored???
Yeah missed it :confused:

i was convinced it was going to extra time so tried to beat the rush yet when I heard the roar

for or some reason I knew it was us, go figure.

i got back in time to see the free kick before full time.

pacorosssco
02-06-2016, 09:46 PM
Are you Stanley Unwin?

I am the eggman

Hibbyradge
02-06-2016, 09:50 PM

Fantastic post.

Kato
02-06-2016, 09:51 PM

Best post on here since we last won the Cup that time.

monktonharp
02-06-2016, 10:04 PM
Joppas little cave? i agree while bit peeved stubbs. JD, Taff working way up ladder without the wealth came Stubbs playing career. Real Football men who deserve a little bit more living gaff together two years. Looks thier desire club greater Stubbs but 21.05.2016 is theirs we move on. Shame didnt take cup Ormacliquey annoy greater jambo regular masonics :) Joppa ROCKSYup, you've got the venue correct. we were totally gobsmacked when JD walked in, half an hour after that text. he was fully dressed, with the suits they all had on that day at the links. normal gear was all Hibs kit!. 3 days before the final, I met him all dressed in black, after his faither's funeral. he was obviously emotional, but was a real diamond. top man. will always think that of him especially.

pacorosssco
02-06-2016, 10:24 PM
Yup, you've got the venue correct. we were totally gobsmacked when JD walked in, half an hour after that text. he was fully dressed, with the suits they all had on that day at the links. normal gear was all Hibs kit!. 3 days before the final, I met him all dressed in black, after his faither's funeral. he was obviously emotional, but was a real diamond. top man. will always think that of him especially.

Again great post. Deserves to be closer family earn a bit from a career hes work bottom up . Sounds a good human never mind hibey. Ormadoda some place. Joppa raised never made welcome but few decent peeps. Brother Broon:)

EskbankHibby
02-06-2016, 10:24 PM

Is that you Yoda or is this post actually a telegram?;)

EskbankHibby
02-06-2016, 10:27 PM

Good post, good to hear. All the best to him.

pacorosssco
02-06-2016, 10:27 PM
Is that you Yoda or is this post actually a telegram?;)

Yoda... no brother yoda :) no mate no yoda or telegrame. Phone still end of bar

The Harp
02-06-2016, 10:32 PM
Great story about JD from monktonharp, thanks for posting. I never met JD, but he seems to be quite a guy. Hope we see him up here again as a fan. Sure he'd be guaranteed a warm welcome

pacorosssco
02-06-2016, 10:34 PM
Great story about JD from monktonharp, thanks for posting. I never met JD, but he seems to be quite a guy. Hope we see him up here again as a fan. Sure he'd be guaranteed a warm welcome

Indeed welcome forever more. Workers who bought into where they made a living

Glorious St Pat
02-06-2016, 10:35 PM
he will probably be back up, to clear out his goods/desk/belongings etc and I hope to get a chance to shake his hand. A proper good man.:agree:

Where about in Joppa do you live? And I presume your talking about the Ormelie?

pacorosssco
02-06-2016, 10:36 PM
Indeed welcome forever more. Workers who bought into where they made a living

Same fenlon took a warmth for hibs regardless drinking morningside lodge

pacorosssco
02-06-2016, 10:43 PM
Yup, you've got the venue correct. we were totally gobsmacked when JD walked in, half an hour after that text. he was fully dressed, with the suits they all had on that day at the links. normal gear was all Hibs kit!. 3 days before the final, I met him all dressed in black, after his faither's funeral. he was obviously emotional, but was a real diamond. top man. will always think that of him especially. if u see him any of them again . Thank from the bottom of my heart and best wishes. Like i say these guys hard working football people. Gave us a few days like no other. Ok if scottish cup can be taken joppa let me k ow ill give dad 100 charity to hand jd or you personally . Has to be in hearts corner on walter kidds domino night though

jacomo
02-06-2016, 11:05 PM
Same fenlon took a warmth for hibs regardless drinking morningside lodge

Was great to see Pat at the International after the match. I only said hello to him but seems a great guy.

Love all the pros who become fans.

monktonharp
02-06-2016, 11:10 PM
Where about in Joppa do you live? And I presume your talking about the Ormelie?I don't live there, not rich enough:greengrin Newcraighall born and bred, son of a miner and became a miner. proud of it too:wink: nope, I have lived in "Maggie" for nearly 40 years now, a bit of a star wars bar, in comparison to Joppa:greengrin. Do like Joppa though, lots of friends there, but never thought I'd end up drinking in that end o' the toon:cb Ormelie Tavern, to be precise.

Greencore
02-06-2016, 11:15 PM
Fantastic post, good job.

pacorosssco
02-06-2016, 11:17 PM
I don't live there, not rich enough:greengrin Newcraighall born and bred, son of a miner and became a miner. proud of it too:wink: nope, I have lived in "Maggie" for nearly 40 years now, a bit of a star wars bar, in comparison to Joppa:greengrin. Do like Joppa though, lots of friends there, but never thought I'd end up drinking in that end o' the toon:cb Ormelie Tavern, to be precise.

Nought wrong anywhere we call home least magda. Grew up joppa to hard working parents from northfied gorgie. Lots changed but we all come fi somewhere.

monktonharp
02-06-2016, 11:20 PM
Nought wrong anywhere we call home least magda. Grew up joppa to hard working parents from northfied gorgie. Lots changed but we all come fi somewhere.:agree:we're aw Jock Thampsons' bairns mate. respect

greenlex
03-06-2016, 02:20 AM
Are you Stanley Unwin?

Brilliant. I read it again as Stanley and it made perfect sense.😂😂😂

Pete
03-06-2016, 02:50 AM
Can anyone translate this thread into English?

No speak Joppanese.

BT58
03-06-2016, 04:08 AM
Hey Monktonharp. Do you know Willie Meenan ?? Good Hibee, stays in mussy

bigwheel
04-06-2016, 06:29 AM
Here's a latest chat with Doolan......sounds quite emotional...- hibee for life

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/john-doolan-admits-leaving-hibs-has-been-a-wrench-1-4145772

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hibeesmad
04-06-2016, 06:34 AM

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/john-doolan-admits-leaving-hibs-has-been-a-wrench-1-4145772

I get the feeling he be back as manager one day

Waxy
04-06-2016, 07:05 AM
I get the feeling he be back as manager one day
I don't. I think he'll be part of Alan Stubb's team whereever he goes. Wouldn't rule out them all coming back one day.

.Sean.
04-06-2016, 07:49 AM
I get the feeling he be back as manager one daycertainty

matty_f
04-06-2016, 08:05 AM

That's a really good read, nice touch from Bruce Langham and Rod Petrie to attend the funeral.

It's great that Hibs meant so much to JD, I'm not sure if there's a steer from the club to do it, but reading about JD and Stubbs drinking with Hibs fans, and the scenes of players celebrating in 'Hibs' pubs after big wins certainly seems to have rid us of the couldn't-care-less player culture that hung around us for a few years.

lyonhibs
04-06-2016, 08:09 AM

A great touch from Petrie and Langholm to go down to his dad's funeral.

Rather kyboshes the notion that he's just a bean counting robot.

Scottie
04-06-2016, 08:51 AM

Hibs as a club know how to do things the right way. Class personified. :agree:

gav71
04-06-2016, 12:00 PM
Love the shirt sponsors - Hodge Clemco manufacturers of "Abrasive Blasting Equipment"

Look at both there faces is it just me or can anyone else spot what've we done look

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-06-2016, 01:17 PM
Can anyone translate this thread into English?

No speak Joppanese.

Good, it's not just me then!

pacorosssco
04-06-2016, 02:17 PM
Good, it's not just me then!

Joppa baby crew shed boys

Bay Area Hibees
04-06-2016, 02:41 PM
Must be allergies, wee tear in my eye. I'm s Joppa lad living in San Francisco. So happy to be back for game, would love to have met or meet John at some point .

Good luck to them all.

hibees 7062
05-06-2016, 08:04 PM
Fantastic effort from Scottish Cup winning coach John Doolan to come and say his goodbyes to The Hibs Club this evening. Safe to say Leith is in his heart!

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/13320352_10154309313604884_2068993670058134983_o.j pg

Scouse Hibee
05-06-2016, 08:20 PM
Fantastic effort from Scottish Cup winning coach John Doolan to come and say his goodbyes to The Hibs Club this evening. Safe to say Leith is in his heart!

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/13320352_10154309313604884_2068993670058134983_o.j pg

Top man.

hibees 7062
05-06-2016, 08:26 PM
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13346721_10154234417611323_8285871923010642461_n.j pg?oh=3a2e7a4e4285ef332b693ed669f8c62b&oe=580EEA31

Pretty Boy
05-06-2016, 08:37 PM

Class act.

Jonnyboy
05-06-2016, 08:37 PM
Top, top bloke and I wish him every success in the future

OsloHibs
05-06-2016, 08:57 PM
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13346721_10154234417611323_8285871923010642461_n.j pg?oh=3a2e7a4e4285ef332b693ed669f8c62b&oe=580EEA31

These t-shirts are currently on sale via 'made in leith'. Check out their twitter page for more details. Very smart!

NRW_Hibbie
05-06-2016, 09:12 PM

Anyone who heard Rod Petrie talk at the Civic Reception just prior to the parade would know just how passionate he is about the club. It was a hugely emotional and powerful speech delivered by a genuine fan.

FranckSuzy
05-06-2016, 10:53 PM

Bl00dy typical, tonight's about the only time I've not been in the Club since 21/5/16 and John 'Legend' Doolan walks in :rolleyes: :greengrin Top man :not worth

Hibeewilly
05-06-2016, 10:59 PM
Anyone who heard Rod Petrie talk at the Civic Reception just prior to the parade would know just how passionate he is about the club. It was a hugely emotional and powerful speech delivered by a genuine fan.

I was there mate and you are bang on the money!!!

monktonharp
05-06-2016, 11:00 PM
Hey Monktonharp. Do you know Willie Meenan ?? Good Hibee, stays in mussyKen him? I've clapped his dug ! Meenan is one of my best mates ! in fact, at the top.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sean1875
06-06-2016, 02:36 AM

absolute class from him, a true legend. free pints in Edinburgh for life!

JimBHibees
06-06-2016, 08:35 AM

Was that speech recorded anywhere?

jacomo
06-06-2016, 10:25 AM

Is there a video of this?

I'm sure a lot of Hibbys would like to hear what he said.

NRW_Hibbie
06-06-2016, 01:44 PM
Was that speech recorded anywhere?

There were journalists there, I'm sure, but haven't seen it reported anywhere. I would try and relay some of it here, but I had a few drinks later in the day and some of the finer detail escapes me!

Suffice to say he struggled to maintain his composure and was fighting back tears for most of the time he spoke.

Craig_in_Prague
06-06-2016, 01:47 PM
There were journalists there, I'm sure, but haven't seen it reported anywhere. I would try and relay some of it here, but I had a few drinks later in the day and some of the finer detail escapes me!

Suffice to say he struggled to maintain his composure and was fighting back tears for most of the time he spoke.

Maybe he's just partial to a few gins?

scotia44
06-06-2016, 02:22 PM
https://youtu.be/IR3W8rE_JZo
Dont know if this is what you are referring to

Tom Hart RIP
06-06-2016, 05:04 PM
JD at Easter Road this morning. Saw him briefly as he was saying goodbye to some of the staff. Looked quite emotional

NRW_Hibbie
06-06-2016, 07:24 PM
https://youtu.be/IR3W8rE_JZo
Dont know if this is what you are referring to

That was the event but that was just the rather tiresome speech given by the Lord Provost. RP spoke after him.

12AlbionPlace
06-06-2016, 10:33 PM

That is a fantastic read.

I must make an appointment at the doctors about this moist eye syndrome I've had recently.

monktonharp
06-06-2016, 10:41 PM
Hey Monktonharp. Do you know Willie Meenan ?? Good Hibee, stays in mussyKen him? I've clapped his dug! one of my best amigos is wee Wull.

monktonharp
06-06-2016, 10:48 PM
Must be allergies, wee tear in my eye. I'm s Joppa lad living in San Francisco. So happy to be back for game, would love to have met or meet John at some point .

Good luck to them all.just proves that Joppanese is a global language.:wink: I greet at the drop o' a hat, thesedays

monktonharp
06-06-2016, 10:54 PM
Ken him? I've clapped his dug! one of my best amigos is wee Wull.Christ!!! just realised I answered this last night! by god, we had a fantastic evening in Joppa and Leith. what a fine day was had

monktonharp
06-06-2016, 11:07 PM
Bl00dy typical, tonight's about the only time I've not been in the Club since 21/5/16 and John 'Legend' Doolan walks in :rolleyes: :greengrin Top man :not worthSuze, wish you had been there! we met him in the Ormie, then dragged him to the club (taxi) then went to the Harp & Castle on his insistence. was relatively quiet there so we progressed to the Central bar at the fit o' the walk. was bouncin' in there with a Karioki going on. I came back from the toilets,only to see him on the mike singin' Sunshine on Leith. place went mental! he then said, don't put any videos on social media etc as I aint no singer! was a brilliant night. spoke to him earlier this evening, to say a proper goodbye but he had to dash home .thought he said his wife was unwell, but he may have said his brother's wife. I did not want to intrude, so said bye' and best of luck to all of you guys. such a nice ordinary person like you and I, from a working class area, Kirby in Liverpool, and wont meet many like him again. one of the very best.
:not worth

confused
07-06-2016, 05:37 AM
I'm Sitting trying to read John,s interview through damp emotional eyes, now I remember why I'm a Hibby.

FranckSuzy
07-06-2016, 01:13 PM
Suze, wish you had been there! we met him in the Ormie, then dragged him to the club (taxi) then went to the Harp & Castle on his insistence. was relatively quiet there so we progressed to the Central bar at the fit o' the walk. was bouncin' in there with a Karioki going on. I came back from the toilets,only to see him on the mike singin' Sunshine on Leith. place went mental! he then said, don't put any videos on social media etc as I aint no singer! was a brilliant night. spoke to him earlier this evening, to say a proper goodbye but he had to dash home .thought he said his wife was unwell, but he may have said his brother's wife. I did not want to intrude, so said bye' and best of luck to all of you guys. such a nice ordinary person like you and I, from a working class area, Kirby in Liverpool, and wont meet many like him again. one of the very best.
:not worth

Brilliant W, sounds like a great night :thumbsup: