PDA

View Full Version : Media Stubbs Talks

Carheenlea
02-06-2016, 01:50 AM
Alan Stubbs has spoken to sportswriter Robert Grieve for this mornings press, but doesn't really reveal anything out the ordinary - Thinks Hibs will go up next year, Cup win hard to better, lure of English Championship next step to his dream of English Premier League.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/hibernian/7188573/Alan-Stubbs-You-will-go-up-next-time.html

3pm
02-06-2016, 06:16 AM
You maybe can't top the cup final in an emotional sense but he's kidding himself on if he thinks there is nothing else to achieve.

Northernhibee
02-06-2016, 06:20 AM
Tbf promotion won't top that. All the best Stubbsy.

Not In The Know
02-06-2016, 06:21 AM
Don't click the link, every time you do the Sun gets paid.

hibsbollah
02-06-2016, 06:24 AM
I think we need a 'Remember Millie Don't Open The Link' smilie.

jacomo
02-06-2016, 06:26 AM
Don't click the link, every time you do the Sun gets paid.

Copy and paste much better.

Scousers have good reason not to talk to The Sun as well.

Pete
02-06-2016, 06:26 AM
Fair enough. You have earned the right to leave how you like after that so good luck down south Allan.

Allant1981
02-06-2016, 06:40 AM
Fair enough. You have earned the right to leave how you like after that so good luck down south Allan.

Nope sorry dont agree, yip won us the cup and he will always be remembered for that and rightly so but he has failed in the league 2 seasons in a row with arguably one of the best squads in the country so dont think he has earned the right to leave how he likes, all in my opinion obviously

hibs0666
02-06-2016, 06:56 AM
Nope sorry dont agree, yip won us the cup and he will always be remembered for that and rightly so but he has failed in the league 2 seasons in a row with arguably one of the best squads in the country so dont think he has earned the right to leave how he likes, all in my opinion obviously

He most certainly has.

madhatter
02-06-2016, 06:59 AM
He most certainly has.

So 1 man is bigger than the club then? You are more fussed by Stubbs getting to do what he wants than Hibs having what is right for them? Weird thinking...

I support Hibs. I don't support Stubbs. You got that the other way around?

hibs0666
02-06-2016, 06:59 AM
So 1 man is bigger than the club then? You are more fussed by Stubbs getting to do what he wants than Hibs having what is right for them? Weird thinking...

I support Hibs. I don't support Stubbs. You got that the other way around?

Nope

GordonHFC
02-06-2016, 07:02 AM
So he feels ready for the step up but can't get Hibs out of the championship?

Smartie
02-06-2016, 07:06 AM
It's a fair point, and one I hadn't really considered.

Winning the cup after 114 years is unlikely ever to be topped.

He might have stayed out of a sense of duty but there is a lot to lose and little for him to gain from here.

I thought he looked like the pressure was really getting to him through March/ April and having achieved something as big as winning the cup maybe he just didn't fancy trying again to win the league?

Greenheart
02-06-2016, 07:16 AM
I agree left before he finished the job went down in my estimation not sure that'll be worrying him though

Slicer
02-06-2016, 07:17 AM
Can someone copy and paste the story please?

In fact, if one board member could take one for the team and paste stories from this paper and the other one, to save us all going to their website, that'd be great :aok:

QMU-1875
02-06-2016, 07:25 AM
Any confirmation he resigned? Disgraceful if true. Shows his lack of respect for this club.

lyonhibs
02-06-2016, 07:33 AM
Any confirmation he resigned? Disgraceful if true. Shows his lack of respect for this club.

Disgraceful indeed :rolleyes:

Not ideal, but his stock was unlikely to ever get higher if he were to stay in Scottish football.

I'm not over the moon at the news, but we won the Scottish Cup and Stubbs is the manager that led us to that Holy Grail.

E10 Rifle
02-06-2016, 07:33 AM
Personally I'm not bothered by his departure or reasons. Stubbs in my view was out-managed by Houston, McKinnon and Duffy last season and it told. He got irked by the criticism of his side and himself during that period and in my view has used the cup final win to take himself out of a high-pressure situation and into a low one where the only expectation is to avoid relegation, which should be fairly straightforward. I think some people in the football world will raise an eyebrow at this move by him whatever reasons he gives for it.

J-C
02-06-2016, 07:37 AM
Personally I'm not bothered by his departure or reasons. Stubbs in my view was out-managed by Houston, McKinnon and Duffy last season and it told. He got irked by the criticism of his side and himself during that period and in my view has used the cup final win to take himself out of a high-pressure situation and into a low one where the only expectation is to avoid relegation, which should be fairly straightforward. I think some people in the football world will raise an eyebrow at this move by him whatever reasons he gives for it.

This :agree: **** him, he failed to get us promoted, cheers for the cup, it was unexpected but we're still in this ****ty league for another season.

Iain G
02-06-2016, 07:37 AM
It's a fair point, and one I hadn't really considered.

Winning the cup after 114 years is unlikely ever to be topped.

He might have stayed out of a sense of duty but there is a lot to lose and little for him to gain from here.

I thought he looked like the pressure was really getting to him through March/ April and having achieved something as big as winning the cup maybe he just didn't fancy trying again to win the league?

Well he won't have any pressure on him to win the league with Rotherham. In two minds still, think he has decided to leave on a high when his stock is on the rise, notice in the reporting the CUP FINAL WIN is being touted ahead of any lesser emphasis put on failing to win promotion two seasons in a row.

Onwards and upwards for us though and look forward to welcoming in someone who can get us promoted :agree:

pacoluna
02-06-2016, 07:39 AM
Can someone copy and paste the story please?

In fact, if one board member could take one for the team and paste stories from this paper and the other one, to save us all going to their website, that'd be great :aok:

ALAN STUBBS has told Hibs fans you WILL win promotion next season after quitting Easter Road for Rotherham.
Stubbsy signed a three-year deal with the Championship outfit — only 11 days after lifting the Scottish Cup as Hibees (http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/hibernian/)boss.
As we revealed yesterday, he decided to go believing that triumph could never be topped.

Last night Stubbs, said: “Having thought about it long and hard, I don’t think last weekend can be capped.
“Don’t get me wrong, I still think Hibs are going in the right direction and will win promotion to the Premiership next season.
“They have too much talent for the Scottish Championship.
“But beating Rangers (http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/rangers/) at Hampden was just such a monumental result that it would take something special to beat it.
“I’m not sure I could’ve done anything else to have that kind of impact again.
“Winning the Scottish Cup was just incredible, something I’ll remember until my dying day.
“The fans have been fantastic with me from day one.
“The players bought into what we wanted to do but so did the supporters.

“I’m just delighted for those fans that my staff and I — along with the players, Leeann Dempster and the board — were able to give them something they never thought was going to happen.
“That gives me a huge sense of satisfaction.”
Stubbs admits the lure of England’s Championship — and the challenge of winning promotion to the Premier League — proved too tempting

He added: “For me the English Championship is a fantastically competitive league, but one I feel I’m ready for.
“It’s a step closer to the Premier League, which is the promised land in football and where I want to get to as a manager. I think that is everybody’s dream in football.
“Right now, Rotherham are a Championship club but the ambition is there to reach the top.
“It seems everyone has had their appetite whetted by what Leicester City did last season.
“For me, that proved anything is possible.”

SJM
02-06-2016, 07:40 AM

Yes, there was confirmation on the Rotherham website yesterday.

SeanWilson
02-06-2016, 07:41 AM
This :agree: **** him, he failed to get us promoted, cheers for the cup, it was unexpected but we're still in this ****ty league for another season.

:agree:

I reckon the chat had already taken place prior to the cup final but the win maybe had Leeann thinking he would change his mind. He's spent a week thinking about it and taken the first job that came his way.... **** him!

Onwards and upwards.

Jim44
02-06-2016, 08:05 AM
I'm sorry, but I can't get my head round the priorities between cup and league, but there you go. I've always considered league status more important than trophies and I certainly thought that Stubbs' appointment was to achieve that. However he failed and even he seems to be saying that winning the cup was more important than getting us out of the crappy league of terminally mediocre and failed Premiership clubs.

thommo1875
02-06-2016, 08:05 AM
Why would you leave Hibs to go to Rotherham!!

I personally think he's jumped ship too song. And taken a step backwards. I know he has ambition to manage in the premier league but that is never going to happen. He's left to manage a bottom half of the table club, probably relagation battle.

If he had stayed got hibs promoted his stock would rise even more and bigger clubs would then come calling.

Strange decision in my eyes.

And I'm more gutted that John Doolan has left. He got what hibs where all about!

Anyways...onwards and upwards!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SJM
02-06-2016, 08:11 AM
Rotherham promoted hahahahahahaha

CallumLaidlaw
02-06-2016, 08:22 AM
I genuinely have no issue with what he says.

- He feels nothing will top the Cup win. He's correct in my opinion. We could romp the league next season but it won't compare in emotional terms to how we all felt for 2 days on the 21st/22nd May.

-he maybe feels he can't take us any further. I would rather that than us get halfway through the season and realise this. He leaves by being sacked, his reputation as our cup winning manager tainted. This way, he leaves on the ultimate high. This also allows us to get the right man in for pre season.

-He sees Rotherham as the next step. Clearly Hibs are a bigger and more History-deep club than Rotherham, but if he can go in there and get them to a mid table finish, then he could find himself in for a Cardiff, Wolves, Aston Villa type job, which is one step away from the Premier League. This is his career. He owes us nothing. Yes, we gave him a chance, but that wasn't out of kindness, it was because our board felt he could do a good job for us. And overall I think he did. Although we are still in the Championship, which is poor in itself, he leaves a good squad, a Scottish Cup in the trophy room, and European Football.

CallumLaidlaw
02-06-2016, 08:23 AM
Rotherham promoted hahahahahahaha

Lets go back a couple of years. Bournemouth promoted. hahahahahahahaha. Leicester Premiership winners hahahahahaha. Hibs Scottish Cup Champions hahahaha :wink:

Steve20
02-06-2016, 08:24 AM
Stubbs is a hero for delivering the Scottish Cup. Yes, the league form was poor but that cup win and that entire weekend means I'll not say a bad word about the man again.

He deserves more respect than he's getting from people. SCOTTISH CUP WINNING MANAGER. :flag:

The_Horde
02-06-2016, 08:25 AM
Stubbs is a hero for delivering the Scottish Cup. Yes, the league form was poor but that cup win and that entire weekend means I'll not say a bad word about the man again.

He deserves more respect than he's getting from people. SCOTTISH CUP WINNING MANAGER. :flag:

Correct.

**** Rotherham though

stantonhibby
02-06-2016, 08:25 AM

Well said...... some of the language being used against him on here is shocking IMO.

Spike Mandela
02-06-2016, 08:27 AM
I'm sorry, but I can't get my head round the priorities between cup and league, but there you go. I've always considered league status more important than trophies and I certainly thought that Stubbs' appointment was to achieve that. However he failed and even he seems to be saying that winning the cup was more important than getting us out of the crappy league of terminally mediocre and failed Premiership clubs.

His direct quote straight after the game on Sky(and I paraphrase) was that the cup final win doesn't make up for not getting promotion as promotion was first priority but winning the cup was a close second.

Don't really see what's so difficult for a Hibs fan to understand about the importance of winning the cup? It was my best day EVER in over 40 years of supporting the team and we've been in the top league for the vast majority of that time.

SJM
02-06-2016, 08:27 AM
Lets go back a couple of years. Bournemouth promoted. hahahahahahahaha. Leicester Premiership winners hahahahahaha. Hibs Scottish Cup Champions hahahaha :wink:

There is no danger he will take Rotherham up, he couldn't even take us up with one or two stronger teams in the league never mind 15.

hibbysam
02-06-2016, 08:29 AM

Houston - Lost 2 out of 6 games, losing 2 goals in the final 10 minutes in both games to lose.
McKinnon - Lost 2 out of 7 games, winning the other 5.
Duffy - Lost 1 out of 4, winning 2 and drawing the other.

Out managed? All three of those sides kicked us up and down the place. Had decisions gone our way Houston may have beaten us once, which wouldn't have mattered as the tie would have been dead and buried, and we would have won every league game.

Had our strikers scored simple chances in the home game vs Morton we would've been 3/4 up before we capitulated.

And if winning 5 out of 7 games is being "out-managed" then I'm at a loss.

Stubbs came costing nothing, he has put the club in a far better position than we were when he came, he has delivered the holy grail, and will make us a small bit of cash on leaving. I for one cannot believe anyone has a bad word to say about the manager who delivered our dream, and anyone who says they would rather have won the league than have the weekend/week I experienced last weekend is barking mad.

SunshineOnLeith
02-06-2016, 08:32 AM
So 1 man is bigger than the club then?

Where did he say that?

You are more fussed by Stubbs getting to do what he wants than Hibs having what is right for them?

Where did he say that?

greenginger
02-06-2016, 08:37 AM

Its what had to happen to let both clubs prepare for next season.

Compensation will be decided by a panel or something later, we would not want to stick Stubbs and his assistant on gardening leave, paying their wages and a new manager, then find out Rotherham appoint someone else.

Gatecrasher
02-06-2016, 08:38 AM
Houston - Lost 2 out of 6 games, losing 2 goals in the final 10 minutes in both games to lose.

Out managed? All three of those sides kicked us up and down the place. Had decisions gone our way Houston may have beaten us once, which wouldn't have mattered as the tie would have been dead and buried, and we would have won every league game.

Had our strikers scored simple chances in the home game vs Morton we would've been 3/4 up before we capitulated.

Stubbs came costing nothing, he has put the club in a far better position than we were when he came, he has delivered the holy grail, and will make us a small bit of cash on leaving. I for one cannot believe anyone has a bad word to say about the manager who delivered our dream, and anyone who says they would rather have won the league than have the weekend/week I experienced last weekend is barking mad.

His overall record against Falkirk and Raith the last couple of years hasn't been good enough, then you have the poor performances against Alloa, Livi and Dumbarton.

Rasta_Hibs
02-06-2016, 08:38 AM
A lot of people acting like they have been packed by their bird!

Stubbs is and always will be a Hibs legend! He brought the Scottish Cup home ffs!

Jim44
02-06-2016, 08:40 AM
His direct quote straight after the game on Sky(and I paraphrase) was that the cup final win doesn't make up for not getting promotion as promotion was first priority but winning the cup was a close second.

Don't really see what's so difficult for a Hibs fan to understand about the importance of winning the cup? It was my best day EVER in over 40 years of supporting the team and we've been in the top league for the vast majority of that time.

I take your first point and I'm not saying that winning the cup isn't important. For me league status is more important. If that makes me a lesser fan in others' eyes, fine.

SlickShoes
02-06-2016, 08:40 AM

- He feels nothing will top the Cup win. He's correct in my opinion. We could romp the league next season but it won't compare in emotional terms to how we all felt for 2 days on the 21st/22nd May.

-he maybe feels he can't take us any further. I would rather that than us get halfway through the season and realise this. He leaves by being sacked, his reputation as our cup winning manager tainted. This way, he leaves on the ultimate high. This also allows us to get the right man in for pre season.

-He sees Rotherham as the next step. Clearly Hibs are a bigger and more History-deep club than Rotherham, but if he can go in there and get them to a mid table finish, then he could find himself in for a Cardiff, Wolves, Aston Villa type job, which is one step away from the Premier League. This is his career. He owes us nothing. Yes, we gave him a chance, but that wasn't out of kindness, it was because our board felt he could do a good job for us. And overall I think he did. Although we are still in the Championship, which is poor in itself, he leaves a good squad, a Scottish Cup in the trophy room, and European Football.

I agree with you, I can't really argue with anything he said. I am sure some of the players didn't even realise the magnitude of winning the cup for hibs until that open top bus parade.

There is no topping that in Scottish football unless you manage someone like hibs/hearts/aberdeen to the premier league title somehow. The chances of that are so remote that it's a pipe dream.

For me as a hibs supporter that weekend stands alone from whatever came before and after it, Stubbs is right, so many of us really thought it would never happen. He's done the impossible as far as I am concerned, I always said the league was more important but I wouldn't swap the weekend of May 21st for anything.

As a man looking after his career he is making the correct move, a club in a better league with more money, that have low expectations realistically. What would be expected of him here is to dominate the league next season and I'm convinced he's not capable of that based on many of this years performances. The only way for his career at hibs was to stagnate or get worse.

Northernhibee
02-06-2016, 08:42 AM
A lot of people acting like they have been packed by their bird!

Stubbs is and always will be a Hibs legend! He brought the Scottish Cup home ffs!
This. Would like a plaque on the wall of ER to commemorate his achievement.

hibs0666
02-06-2016, 08:45 AM

In 20 years time we well still be recalling fondly the cup win. The fact that we stayed down will barely register.

euro Hibby
02-06-2016, 08:47 AM
simple career move. He is ambitious and has a goal in mind. Would most of us have gone to Rotherham ? Probably not as this is our only team.
Just need to turn the page and move on. Honours to the man for helping to deliver the cup. Let's trust that next in can go one better .

Northernhibee
02-06-2016, 08:52 AM
In 20 years time we well still be recalling fondly the cup win. The fact that we stayed down will barely register.

Yep. Some can't wait a fortnight to return to form and stick the boot in to a club legend.

snooky
02-06-2016, 08:53 AM
simple career move. He is ambitious and has a goal in mind. Would most of us have gone to Rotherham ? Probably not as this is our only team.
Just need to turn the page and move on. Honours to the man for helping to deliver the cup. Let's trust that next in can go one better .
Good luck to Stubbs however, I'll stick my neck out here and say Rotherham will be his level. Will be happy to eat humble pie if he proves me wrong though.

hibbysam
His overall record against Falkirk and Raith the last couple of years hasn't been good enough, then you have the poor performances against Alloa, Livi and Dumbarton.

His overall record vs Raith says he won 5 from 7, one of the two games he lost ended up worthless as we ultimately won the 2nd leg and qualified through the play offs. Now tell me how that record "Isn't good enough"?

The Falkirk record could and should have been better, however, over the season we should have beaten them probably every game.

game 1 - Won 1-0, dubious penalty, however should have had one 10 seconds before.
game 2 - McGinn sent off - Later rescinded, drew 1-1.
game 3 - Mcginn wiped out in the box, stonewall penalty denied, drew 1-1.
game 4 - Drew 2-2, after leading 2-0 with 5 to go, players should have seen the game out, couldn't defend long throws.
game 5 - Play off first leg, 2-1 up, denied stonewall penalty, probable red card, 3-1 up in the tie at least could have ended it.
game 6 - Play off second leg, 2-1 up, cruising, defender should probably have been sent off for penalty incident, couldn't defend long throws again.

So in short, if pummelling long throws into a crowded box and working off second balls is out thinking an opposition manager then hell mend us. A few refereeing decisions, plus poor defending cost us 1 win in 6 games.

jacomo
Its what had to happen to let both clubs prepare for next season.

Compensation will be decided by a panel or something later, we would not want to stick Stubbs and his assistant on gardening leave, paying their wages and a new manager, then find out Rotherham appoint someone else.

Financially, this will be the best outcome for us.

Hibbyradge
02-06-2016, 08:58 AM
So 1 man is bigger than the club then?

What does that actually mean?

It might as well read "No 1 man is smaller than the club, or the same size", for all the sense it makes.

Emotional claptrap in my opinion.

madhatter
02-06-2016, 09:04 AM
Where did he say that?

Where did he say that?

He basically said Stubbs can leave however he chooses to because he is a legend through a disagreeing with a statement of the opposing. By saying that he is suggesting 1 man is bigger than club. Stubbs can leave without a problem but to resign and potentially do so in a non-amicable way is not something I would expect and not something I will support because he is a "legend". He'd have gotten his move regardless but now has given Rotherham more power in any negotiations remaining.

My stance is clearly with the club, many seem to have more feelings of attachment to Stubbs because he helped the club win the Scottish Cup...he may well have done the club out of cash and people don't seem to care.

eastmainsmsh
02-06-2016, 09:04 AM
Has Andy Holden gone as well

Hibbyradge
02-06-2016, 09:05 AM

Is it possible to start a new job without resigning from the old one?

hibbysam
02-06-2016, 09:09 AM
He basically said Stubbs can leave however he chooses to because he is a legend through a disagreeing with a statement of the opposing. By saying that he is suggesting 1 man is bigger than club. Stubbs can leave without a problem but to resign and potentially do so in a non-amicable way is not something I would expect and not something I will support because he is a "legend". He'd have gotten his move regardless but now has given Rotherham more power in any negotiations remaining.

My stance is clearly with the club, many seem to have more feelings of attachment to Stubbs because he helped the club win the Scottish Cup...he may well have done the club out of cash and people don't seem to care.

He hasn't done the club out of any cash. How can you go from one job to another without resigning from the one you are currently in? Hibs will get the compensation we are entitled to regardless.

Stevie Reid
02-06-2016, 09:10 AM

What a sad outlook to have - we will get out of this league sooner rather than later, but there will be no glory in it; there was glory in abundance in winning the Scottish Cup, which was surely the best day of any Hibs supporter's life. You really place more value on getting out of the Championship than winning a major trophy?

One of the most depressing things in modern day football is seeing teams who have next to no chance of winning the EPL put out weakened teams for the League and FA Cups - the two competitions that they actually have a serious chance of winning - to place more of an emphasis on league placings and the money that goes with it.

Winning the SC - only our tenth major honour in 141 years - and knocking out three SPL clubs along the way, including our greatest rivals after an amazing comeback at Tynie, was amazing. I cannot fathom how anyone can be disappointed about anything else.

Hibbyradge
02-06-2016, 09:10 AM

Excellent post.

madhatter
02-06-2016, 09:12 AM
What does that actually mean?

It might as well read "No 1 man is smaller than the club, or the same size", for all the sense it makes.

Emotional claptrap in my opinion.

Leaving the club however he pleases because he has won the Scottish Cup is suggestive that he is more important than the collective of fans, other employees (including players that actually played and won the final), hence the phrase "nobody is bigger than the club". A football club cannot exist with 1 member, it is a sum of many people that define a club and I think the phrase makes perfect sense. A comparable analogy is "one person is bigger than society" which many would rightly disregard as nonsense.

Stubbs could have left ensuring Hibs got the correct money for him. He has chosen not to leave in that manner by the looks of it. The support he is getting here in doing so suggests he is the only "legend" we have and that he deserves free-run for it.

madhatter
02-06-2016, 09:15 AM
He hasn't done the club out of any cash. How can you go from one job to another without resigning from the one you are currently in? Hibs will get the compensation we are entitled to regardless.

So if Messi resigns and moves to Man Utd, Barcelona would expect the full transfer money from Man Utd? No, it would be the value of his contract which will be less than the 300 Million buy out or whatever they have on his contract...

Resigning means value of contract and no more. We've moved from a transfer/compensation model to a breach of contract/compensation on resignation scenario.

Sir David Gray
02-06-2016, 09:15 AM

He left without being sacked so would have definitely resigned.

lyonhibs
02-06-2016, 09:16 AM
Leaving the club however he pleases because he has won the Scottish Cup is suggestive that he is more important than the collective of fans, other employees (including players that actually played and won the final), hence the phrase "nobody is bigger than the club". A football club cannot exist with 1 member, it is a sum of many people that define a club and I think the phrase makes perfect sense. A comparable analogy is "one person is bigger than society" which many would rightly disregard as nonsense.

Stubbs could have left ensuring Hibs got the correct money for him. He has chosen not to leave in that manner by the looks of it. The support he is getting here in doing so suggests he is the only "legend" we have and that he deserves free-run for it.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, Rotherham and Hibs - so Petrie and Dempster - were unable to come to a compo figure agreement. So are Stubbs + Doolan meant to sit their with their thumbs up their ***** for an indeterminate length of time whilst other folk argue over a few zeros?

Would that have benefited Hibs and our preparation for next season, given that Stubbs et al clearly want to leave for Rotherham (the merits of which we can debate separately until we're blue in the face)?

Hibbyradge
02-06-2016, 09:16 AM
What a sad outlook to have - we will get out of this league sooner rather than later, but there will be no glory in it; there was glory in abundance in winning the Scottish Cup, which was surely the best day of any Hibs supporter's life. You really place more value on getting out of the Championship than winning a major trophy?

One of the most depressing things in modern day football is seeing teams who have next to no chance of winning the EPL put out weakened teams for the League and FA Cups - the two competitions that they actually have a serious chance of winning - to place more of an emphasis on league placings and the money that goes with it.

Winning the SC - only our tenth major honour in 141 years - and knocking out three SPL clubs along the way, including our greatest rivals after an amazing comeback at Tynie, was amazing. I cannot fathom how anyone can be disappointed about anything else.

Another great post.

hibs0666
02-06-2016, 09:18 AM
Good luck to Stubbs however, I'll stick my neck out here and say Rotherham will be his level. Will be happy to eat humble pie if he proves me wrong though.

What a fantastic level to reach.

CropleyWasGod
02-06-2016, 09:21 AM

What is the "correct money for him"?

Hibs and Rotherham "may" (and I emphasise that word, because none of us actually know) have disagreed on the amount of compensation that's due. That's irrelevant to whether AS leaves us and signs his new contract with Rotherham. IF that has happened, it's down to the clubs to sort it out, and has no impact on whether AS starts his new job.

Hibbyradge
02-06-2016, 09:23 AM

Hibs will get the money they're entitled to. There is no possibility that they won't.

Otherwise, no club would ever pay compensation.

If it was up to me, I'd give Stubbs and the entire Scottish Cup squad, the freedom of the City.

They've achieved what the Famous Five and The Tornadoes couldn't, and what most Hibs supporters have dreamed about all their lives.

They have my respect forever.

madhatter
Unless I'm reading it wrong, Rotherham and Hibs - so Petrie and Dempster - were unable to come to a compo figure agreement. So are Stubbs + Doolan meant to sit their with their thumbs up their ***** for an indeterminate length of time whilst other folk argue over a few zeros?

Would that have benefited Hibs and our preparation for next season, given that Stubbs et al clearly want to leave for Rotherham (the merits of which we can debate separately until we're blue in the face)?

I don't care what Stubbs and Doolan had to do. My thoughts are with club not those that leave especially under such circumstances. It was 1 day negotiating compensation, how impatient were they to leave?

It wouldn't have benefited the club but getting a few less zeros for compensation also does not benefit the club...have Hibs won the lotto or something? We need a few extra zeros for possible compensation for new manager or for budget to improve team.

SJM
What a fantastic level to reach.

It's a much higher level than the majority of managers in the years of me watching us have reached. It's also a higher level than the majority or any manger of a club in the lower league of this country's football could aspire to

Hibbyradge
02-06-2016, 09:26 AM
So if Messi resigns and moves to Man Utd, Barcelona would expect the full transfer money from Man Utd? No, it would be the value of his contract which will be less than the 300 Million buy out or whatever they have on his contract...

Resigning means value of contract and no more. We've moved from a transfer/compensation model to a breach of contract/compensation on resignation scenario.

Poor analogy. Barcelona hold Messi's registration.

Again, if that could happen, there would be no transfer fees paid ever.

You're completely wrong here, MH.

Stevie Reid
02-06-2016, 09:30 AM
Hibs will get the money they're entitled to. There is no possibility that they won't.

Otherwise, no club would ever pay compensation.

If it was up to me, I'd give Stubbs and the entire Scottish Cup squad, the freedom of the City.

They've achieved what the Famous Five and The Tornadoes couldn't, and what most Hibs supporters have dreamed about all their lives.

They have my respect forever.

madhatter
02-06-2016, 09:31 AM
Poor analogy. Barcelona hold Messi's registration.

Again, if that could happen, there would be no transfer fees paid ever.

You're completely wrong here, MH.

So, is your understanding that Hibs will get the amount they wanted now that he has resigned? Do you think Hibs will get even 60% of what they wanted now that he has resigned?

CropleyWasGod
02-06-2016, 09:36 AM
So, is your understanding that Hibs will get the amount they wanted now that he has resigned? Do you think Hibs will get even 60% of what they wanted now that he has resigned?

As I said earlier, it's irrelevant.

Those negotiations continue.

If we get 60% of what we wanted, it's because we asked too much, and have been beaten down.

stantonhibby
02-06-2016, 09:36 AM

Who knows?. I'll wait until we know what's happening and then I might think about getting my knickers in a twist. You appear to have gone directly to that stage.

s.a.m
02-06-2016, 09:37 AM

You've put that well, and I agree. Had we won the league / been promoted, I'd have been very pleased and maybe even cracked open the Prosecco, but nothing will equal the elation of the cup win. I lost a week - not because I was melted, just to be clear:greengrin - running through the match in my head, watching the highlights, reading people's stories on here and watching the videos, and just generally being completely beside myself with glee. It's been fabulous.

At the start of the season my other half said he'd take the SC over promotion, and I thought he was daft. Having actually done it, I wouldn't have missed that, and - reluctantly - I think I would have traded it off against going up. Completely accept that others will feel the opposite, but I'm not sufficiently excited by the prospect of playing Premiership to take that over the SC win. I'd have liked both, obvs.:wink:

silverhibee
02-06-2016, 09:38 AM
Alan Stubbs has spoken to sportswriter Robert Grieve for this mornings press, but doesn't really reveal anything out the ordinary - Thinks Hibs will go up next year, Cup win hard to better, lure of English Championship next step to his dream of English Premier League.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/hibernian/7188573/Alan-Stubbs-You-will-go-up-next-time.html

Refuse to click the link.

F*** The Sun.

madhatter
02-06-2016, 09:40 AM
Who knows?. I'll wait until we know what's happening and then I might think about getting my knickers in a twist. You appear to have gone directly to that stage.

I haven't tbh, just getting fed up with "oh the saint has left, all the best Sir Stubbs, don't worry about anything you leave with free-run on everything". He did well for us but I'd like to see how this plays out and how his resignation affects the club I support - I suspect adversely as the non-statement from Hibs as he is paraded at Rotherham suggests non-amicable end.

madhatter
02-06-2016, 09:42 AM
As I said earlier, it's irrelevant.

Those negotiations continue.

If we get 60% of what we wanted, it's because we asked too much, and have been beaten down.

So, Rotherham and Stubbs are in the right and Hibs, the club you support are in the wrong...

Rotherham, an English Championship club, wouldn't have been trying to get him on the cheap, will they? That has never happened before has it?

CropleyWasGod
02-06-2016, 09:44 AM
So, Rotherham and Stubbs are in the right and Hibs, the club you support are in the wrong...

Rotherham, an English Championship club, wouldn't have been trying to get him on the cheap, will they? That has never happened before has it?

Where did I say either party is in the right or wrong?

Rotherham are trying to get him on the cheap. We are trying to get as much as we can. Both positions are understandable.

s.a.m
02-06-2016, 09:46 AM

I don't think that's what he's saying - he's saying that's how negotiation works.

madhatter
02-06-2016, 09:53 AM
Where did I say either party is in the right or wrong?

Rotherham are trying to get him on the cheap. We are trying to get as much as we can. Both positions are understandable.

Your last sentence on your original statement gives a negative connotation of our position:

"If we get 60% of what we wanted, it's because we asked too much, and have been beaten down."

For all we know we could have been asking for the correct amount and have been beaten down...that sentence above suggests Hibs were being greedy, sorry.

mjhibby
02-06-2016, 09:53 AM
I haven't tbh, just getting fed up with "oh the saint has left, all the best Sir Stubbs, don't worry about anything you leave with free-run on everything". He did well for us but I'd like to see how this plays out and how his resignation affects the club I support - I suspect adversely as the non-statement from Hibs as he is paraded at Rotherham suggests non-amicable end.

He's away now so it's on with whoever the new manager is. Darren mcgregor hinted in an interview just after the final that Stubbs was thinking about his future. Also Paul hanlon said he would love to finish his career at hibs back in the premiership. He hasn't signed for anybody maybe due to the fact he had an inkling Stubbs might go and was waiting to see who the new boss is. Like any of the cup final squad,if they leave the club its with my gratitude they go but after that I'll focus on only what the hi bees do and who they sign. Only Cummings might go and that of course might depend on who the new boss is. Cummings will leave eventually as he scores goals so he knows he can earn a lot more elsewhere. I hope he thinks about it and gets good advice. I'd sign a two year contract then if and when we go up he can renigotiate his contract or go if a big club comes in he can go with hibs getting a decent fee.I'm still basking if the marvellous feeling of winning the cup and until we play our first serious game next season will be watching the 92nd minute and the parade all summer. As Lewis Stevenson said he will really enjoy this summer having a couple of ******* ones before. I wonder if there are tribes in remote jungles of the world who haven't heard that 114 is over its now 11 days and 18 hours since we won the cup. Sort it Petrie.

CropleyWasGod
02-06-2016, 09:54 AM
Your last sentence on your original statement gives a negative connotation of our position:

"If we get 60% of what we wanted, it's because we asked too much, and have been beaten down."

For all we know we could have been asking for the correct amount and have been beaten down...that sentence above suggests Hibs were being greedy, sorry.

Which brings me back to my earlier question to you....what is "the correct amount"?

Ozyhibby
02-06-2016, 09:56 AM
The week before the cup final I wanted him sacked as soon as it was done. In the aftermath of that day I mellowed and was happy enough for him to stay.
Now that the euphoria of the cup win has dipped a bit, I'm glad he is gone and even more happy that we are receiving compo and not having to pay him off.
It was amazing to win the cup but the league campaign was a failure and that was the number 1 priority last season.
Any personal abuse of Stubbs is out of order as he always acted professionally while he was here. Same goes for Fenlon. Butcher and Calderwood are fair game though.

Heckys Wheel
02-06-2016, 10:00 AM

Sir Alan will always be a legend in my book but I hope Rotherham get relegated and he's sitting at the end of season question this decision. To go through two seasons stating that promotion is the goal, to fail (twice) and then say he can't take the club any further is ridiculous. I know there is very little loyalty in football these days but i'm still shocked at how eager him Doolan and Taff were to get out the door.

Peevemor
02-06-2016, 10:02 AM

We don't know anything about these negotiations nor the conditions of Stubbs' contract with Hibs. It could well be that, with no compensation agreement in sight but also no point in Hibs trying to hold on to him, we may well have been OK with him resigning to enable everyone to move on with the compensation being sorted out later. A state of limbo is the last thing we need.

Northernhibee
02-06-2016, 10:03 AM
Sir Alan will always be a legend in my book but I hope Rotherham get relegated and he's sitting at the end of season question this decision. To go through two seasons stating that promotion is the goal, to fail (twice) and then say he can't take the club any further is ridiculous. I know there is very little loyalty in football these days but i'm still shocked at how eager him Doolan and Taff were to get out the door.

I find that amazing. He won us what no team in over a century did - a fortnight ago - and people are hoping he's relegated.

****ing hell this board has become a parody of itself.

Ozyhibby
02-06-2016, 10:03 AM

You shouldn't be. He made it quite clear in just about every interview and at the agm that he saw us as a stepping stone. I have no problem with that.

CropleyWasGod
02-06-2016, 10:06 AM
We don't know anything about these negotiations nor the conditions of Stubbs' contract with Hibs. It could well be that, with no compensation agreement in sight but also no point in Hibs trying to hold on to him, we may well have been OK with him resigning to enable everyone to move on with the compensation being sorted out later. A state of limbo is the last thing we need.

Correct. Anything on here is conjecture.

mjhibby
02-06-2016, 10:06 AM
You've put that well, and I agree. Had we won the league / been promoted, I'd have been very pleased and maybe even cracked open the Prosecco, but nothing will equal the elation of the cup win. I lost a week - not because I was melted, just to be clear:greengrin - running through the match in my head, watching the highlights, reading people's stories on here and watching the videos, and just generally being completely beside myself with glee. It's been fabulous.

At the start of the season my other half said he'd take the SC over promotion, and I thought he was daft. Having actually done it, I wouldn't have missed that, and - reluctantly - I think I would have traded it off against going up. Completely accept that others will feel the opposite, but I'm not sufficiently excited by the prospect of playing Premiership to take that over the SC win. I'd have liked both, obvs.:wink:

Indeed. I was daft enough to want promotion over the cup and a wee part of me is disappointed that we will be watching Dumbarton and the like at et but after the 92minute I have never felt so good being a hibby since the millennium Derby at the pbs.Yes we will have to play in the championship but we are in Europe And hopefully get a couple of big ties in the cups. Plus of course we are Scottish cup holders for another 353 days. That's going to be a long time for the jumbos to suffer unless we win it again of course and we can keep the torment going. Can't wait to see who the manager is and as usual await signings with same excitement I did many years ago. We have the best base of a team to start of a season for many a year and with just three or four additions should win the league and have a very good season.
Ggtth.

madhatter
02-06-2016, 10:09 AM
Which brings me back to my earlier question to you....what is "the correct amount"?

Anything Hibs want - we were the club in the position of power. We should have had the power in negotiations. Looks like that has been undermined.

Who knows though but I hope this isn't to Hibs' detriment.

GreenCastle
02-06-2016, 10:13 AM
He was always going to leave us - I think the timing has annoyed some.

Though Stubbs can't win as leave it later and it would leave us in a mess before new season.

Do it ASAP and it's still close to cup final win and now a main talking point.

It seems the support is split as some wanted him away before the final as target had failed twice.

After the cup final win though many thought some consistency would be a good thing and another season and using the cup wins momentum would see us win the league next season.

I was probably in the middle - I liked the guy and wanted him to stay but at the same time I understand some league performances weren't good enough so change may happen.

Do we go for a quick fix to get us out this league ?

Stubbs rebuilt this team after the Butcher mess and needs someone to come in and take it to the next level now - more ruthless and cut throat.

CropleyWasGod
02-06-2016, 10:13 AM
Anything Hibs want - we were the club in the position of power. We should have had the power in negotiations. Looks like that has been undermined.

Sorry, that's not how things work.

Anything we want? You mean that we could have asked for £10m, and that would have been the "correct amount"?

Still struggling to see how our position has been undermined by AS resigning. If anything, and that of course depends on what his contract says, it could have been strengthened by he and JD being in breach.

oldbutdim
02-06-2016, 10:15 AM
I'm happy that Amanda Jones will be guiding us through this situation.

jacomo
02-06-2016, 10:16 AM

Your baseless speculation on here really isn't shining any light on the issue.

Our 'position' is based on the contract we had with Stubbs. By resigning, Stubbs has forced through his desired move but it is likely he has also foregone any further bonuses or other payments he may have received from us. I'm disappointed he decided to leave but criticising him specifically for that without knowing the details is mad.

As an aside, Gundogan is moving to Man City for £20m. He's 25 and one of the most sought-after attacking midfielders in Europe. He is clearly worth more than that - but he only had a year left on his contract. See how it works?

CropleyWasGod
02-06-2016, 10:16 AM
I'm happy that Amanda Jones will be guiding us through this situation.

Excellent point.

Scouse Hibee
02-06-2016, 10:19 AM
A scouser and he sooke to the Sun! Should be ****** ashamed of himself.

hibs0666
02-06-2016, 10:21 AM
It's a much higher level than the majority of managers in the years of me watching us have reached. It's also a higher level than the majority or any manger of a club in the lower league of this country's football could aspire to

Absolutely. Given the league Rotherham play in, they are probably one of Europe's 100 largest clubs. Not bad going for Stubbs after only two years of management.

J-C
02-06-2016, 10:21 AM
The biggest gripe was Stubbs said the week after the cup that targets were identified for the squad and that he wanted to hit the ground running next season but all the while it looks like he was planning his escape root, this is what has irked a lot of the fans.

hibs0666
02-06-2016, 10:22 AM
The biggest gripe was Stubbs said the week after the cup that targets were identified for the squad and that he wanted to hit the ground running next season but all the while it looks like he was planning his escape root, this is what has irked a lot of the fans.

Don't be irked - just enjoy the roller coaster.

The_Horde
02-06-2016, 10:23 AM

Let's just hope a few of those signings have gone through anyway. :thumbsup:

tamig
02-06-2016, 10:24 AM

Don't think he's saying that at all. What I do think he is saying is that he was taken aback by the reaction to the cup win and does not think he could get a better reaction at Hibs - no matter what he may have gone on to achieve.

There certainly won't be open top bus rides and a massive party on the Links if we get promotion at the end of next season.

Do you think there will be?

The Cup win was a dream come true for the majority of the support. Just enjoy in and revel in it. Promotion isn't the same.

GreenCastle
02-06-2016, 10:31 AM

This is my main concern - players - out of contract and new signings - where does this leave us!

3 weeks till the players are due back to east mains.

brog
02-06-2016, 10:31 AM

I agree 100% Yes, like everyone I'm unhappy to still be in this league but I've seen Hibs in the top league on nearly 60 occasions & only once, in 64/65 when Stein shafted us, did I really think we had a chance of winning it. There is no chance of anyone other than OF winning the league for the foreseeable future so I'm not sure why competing with the likes of Partick & Ross C for a top 6 spot should get us so excited. Winning the Scottish Cup on the other hand!!!

J-C
02-06-2016, 10:32 AM
Don't be irked - just enjoy the roller coaster.

I'm not irked, I was one of the many fans who thought he should go regardless of the cup win.

I thank him for the best day in my life supporting Hibs but to say he had targets and hit the ground running when he knew he'd be offski is just taking the piss, yes this was a stepping stone for him, we all knew that but cut the BS. Would've been better to say after the final that he was taking a week to gather his thoughts on his future, then no one would've bothered about all this, the fact he got many fans hopes up thinking he was staying just to kick them in the baws a week later. Even I thought after the cup win that maybe I was wrong and was looking forward to what players he had lined up, maybe a winger or 2 or a big striker, to then find out that he was planning this move probably even before the final itself.

J-C
02-06-2016, 10:36 AM
This is my main concern - players - out of contract and new signings - where does this leave us!

3 weeks till the players are due back to east mains.

Only really Hanlon and Forster who are out of contract that we would really be bothered about. Farid, Dagnall, Logan and Thomson would not be re signed and hopefully any new signings will still be in place, remember nearly every player in Britain are on holiday except internationals involved in friendlies for the Euros.

The_Horde
02-06-2016, 10:37 AM
Only really Hanlon and Forster who are out of contract that we would really be bothered about. Farid, Dagnall, Logan and Thomson would not be re signed and hopefully any new signings will still be in place, remember nearly every player in Britain are on holiday except internationals involved in friendlies for the Euros.

Cummings is rumoured to want out too. But the hope is that Dempster frees up that money to buy a suitable replacement. Or Insall steps up..

J-C
02-06-2016, 10:40 AM
Cummings is rumoured to want out too. But the hope is that Dempster frees up that money to buy a suitable replacement. Or Insall steps up..

In the same breathe Cummings is also rumoured to be ready to sign the new contract on the table for him, but this is a different discussion. :greengrin

E10 Rifle
02-06-2016, 10:40 AM
His overall record vs Raith says he won 5 from 7, one of the two games he lost ended up worthless as we ultimately won the 2nd leg and qualified through the play offs. Now tell me how that record "Isn't good enough"?

The Falkirk record could and should have been better, however, over the season we should have beaten them probably every game.

game 1 - Won 1-0, dubious penalty, however should have had one 10 seconds before.
game 2 - McGinn sent off - Later rescinded, drew 1-1.
game 3 - Mcginn wiped out in the box, stonewall penalty denied, drew 1-1.
game 4 - Drew 2-2, after leading 2-0 with 5 to go, players should have seen the game out, couldn't defend long throws.
game 5 - Play off first leg, 2-1 up, denied stonewall penalty, probable red card, 3-1 up in the tie at least could have ended it.
game 6 - Play off second leg, 2-1 up, cruising, defender should probably have been sent off for penalty incident, couldn't defend long throws again.

So in short, if pummelling long throws into a crowded box and working off second balls is out thinking an opposition manager then hell mend us. A few refereeing decisions, plus poor defending cost us 1 win in 6 games.

That really doesn't give any credit to Morton or Raith who worked on peanuts and competed handsomely with us over the piece. Blaming the ref is a bit of a weak defence IMHO, plus surely pummelling long throws into the box of a team who are soft at long throws into a box is what one might call good management?

I totally understand the euphoria of the cup win, I hope it lasts for a very, very long time. Stubbs set us on the right path at a very low time, recruited very well, delivered us a cup, but ultimately came up a bit short at key times over the two seasons. I think he's leveraged that cup win to his own advantage (fair enough) to earn a move but that eyebrows will be raised. If you think about it - a bit more gumption from his side and we could have had a treble this season and the world would have been his oyster. Instead he's gone to Rotherham.

GordonHFC
02-06-2016, 10:43 AM
I'm not irked, I was one of the many fans who thought he should go regardless of the cup win.

I thank him for the best day in my life supporting Hibs but to say he had targets and hit the ground running when he knew he'd be offski is just taking the piss, yes this was a stepping stone for him, we all knew that but cut the BS. Would've been better to say after the final that he was taking a week to gather his thoughts on his future, then no one would've bothered about all this, the fact he got many fans hopes up thinking he was staying just to kick them in the baws a week later. Even I thought after the cup win that maybe I was wrong and was looking forward to what players he had lined up, maybe a winger or 2 or a big striker, to then find out that he was planning this move probably even before the final itself.

What gets me angry is that if, as we are now being informed, he was considered for the RUFC post back in October 2015 he had only been in the post for 16 months before he was looking to jump ship.

truehibernian
02-06-2016, 10:45 AM
Excellent point.

As long as she remembers to remove the green wig when sat round the table !

Peevemor
02-06-2016, 10:46 AM
What gets me angry is that if, as we are now being informed, he was considered for the RUFC post back in October 2015 he had only been in the post for 16 months before he was looking to jump ship.

Why get angry? It's all conjecture and, IMO, changes nothing re. the current situation.

Jim44
02-06-2016, 10:48 AM

Don't think he's saying that at all. What I do think he is saying is that he was taken aback by the reaction to the cup win and does not think he could get a better reaction at Hibs - no matter what he may have gone on to achieve.

There certainly won't be open top bus rides and a massive party on the Links if we get promotion at the end of next season.

Do you think there will be?

The Cup win was a dream come true for the majority of the support. Just enjoy in and revel in it. Promotion isn't the same.

You are bang on correct that there won't be massive celebrations and open top bus rides if we get promotion because we should never be in this position in the first place. Getting back there will only restore the natural order of things. Am I the only one who thinks that three years, possibly more, in the lower ranks, is a disgrace for a club of our stature and resources?

Stevie Reid
02-06-2016, 10:52 AM
You are bang on correct that there won't be massive celebrations and open top bus rides if we get promotion because we should never be in this position in the first place. Getting back there will only restore the natural order of things. Am I the only one who thinks that three years, possibly more, in the lower ranks, is a disgrace for a club of our stature and resources?

It's not good, of course it's not - but we've managed one of the most glorious and memorable days in the history of the club whilst down here. An amazing achievement - and our stature has increased from that.

If football only went the way if was supposed to then it wouldn't be the most popular sport in the world. If results only went the way of those with the greater resources, Leicester wouldn't have done the unthinkable this year - nor would we have beaten Rangers on 21 May.

Hearts won the Championship by a mile last year, then secured 3rd place in the SPL and European football before the league even split (yet some of their fans went as far as flying a plane over Tynie to get a message that they wanted their manager removed!). Give me what we ended the season with over what they did any day of the week.

tamig
02-06-2016, 11:02 AM

Promotion this year is an absolute must - no doubt about it. The cup win this season has more than compensated for a thoroughly depressing night at Falkirk. However, if we were to win two cups next season and still not get back up, then I think that would be unacceptable. The Cup win has maybe skewed opinions for now but we've done that now and promotion is a must have for the new man.

lapsedhibee
02-06-2016, 11:02 AM

We should never have been in the position of not having won the cup for 114 years. By your logic, therefore, we shouldn't have celebrated that!

erin go bragh
02-06-2016, 11:04 AM
Can't disagree with what he says . Winning the Scottish cup cannot be topped .
We could win all our games in the league next season but would that feel anything close to what we all felt when the ref blew that whistle . Not a chance . Fwiw I think we might just get end up coming out of this with a very good manager . Scottish cup holders and in Europe :)

NAE NOOKIE
02-06-2016, 11:06 AM
Right .... I'm not having this folk putting the boot into Stubbsy stuff that's going on here .... he has gone, managers go all the time and this one made no secret of the fact that Hibs was a stepping stone, as are Rotherham. Some folk were wanting him booted win or lose the cup final and he probably thought his coat would have been on a shoogly peg if we made a bad start to next season ..... that and being closer to his family, its not difficult to see why he took the Rotherham gig, even if its a bit of a gamble.

In 1979 I watched Hibs lose a cup final on a pissing wet night at Hampden to an own goal in front of 35,000

In 2001 I watched as a Hibs team minus its best midfield player and with its talismanic captain half fit capitulated to Celtic

In 2012 I watched as a bunch of losers half of whom weren't fit to wear a Hibs strip disgraced my club as they handed me the worst football day of my life

In 2013 I watched as Hibs justified the bookies odds by once again capitulating to a Celtic team who brushed them aside with ease

On 21/05/2016 I watched as a Hibs team full of fighters and not a little talent, with a captain who lead by example, came back from the disappointment of losing a 1 - 0 lead to turn the game around in the last 15 minutes and give me the best day I have had ( or ever will have ) in a football stadium. The manager of that team was Alan Stubbs and I simply cannot believe that less than 2 weeks after the event folk are letting their disappointment at him leaving for the next step in his career get in the way of the fact that no matter what happened in the league the guy delivered something a lot of us thought we would never see happen ......... the man is a Hibs legend forever and I for one couldn't give a stuff what he didn't do, what he did do was 'everything' and as far as I'm concerned he could come back to Easter Road, drop his kecks and **** in the centre circle ..... I for one would be happy to wipe his arse for him.

Alan Stubbs ................... Hibs 'LEGEND' http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/not%20worthy.gif ...... FFS lets treat him like one.

OsloHibs
02-06-2016, 11:07 AM
When you watch the cup final back, it kinda says it all with stubbs for me. He knew he was going. For a man who didn't shut up all season- we heard nothing from him when we won our biggest game ever.

Well, he's not getting his statue now!

ferry hibby
02-06-2016, 11:09 AM

Totally agree with this as well. For Stubbs he could have stayed another season and if he had not been able to get promotion at the third attempt he would have lost all credence but now he has a first Scottish Cup win in 114 years on his CV and is making the best of it. Sad he was not able to take us back to the Premier but he delivered a day I did not ever think I would see and thank him for it.

lapsedhibee
02-06-2016, 11:10 AM
When you watch the cup final back, it kinda says it all with stubbs for me. He knew he was going. For a man who didn't shut up all season- we heard nothing from him when we won our biggest game ever.

:confused: He was interviewed just after the game and could hardly speak for the emotion!

stantonhibby
02-06-2016, 11:13 AM
:confused: He was interviewed just after the game and could hardly speak for the emotion!

Correct....... there has been some amount of Tom Kite on the board in the last few days. Looks like the Cup win gave us an amnesty of a week or so before the boot is in again.

WeeRussell
02-06-2016, 11:16 AM
I see the euphoria of the Scottish Cup win has begun to wear off and it's back to unwarranted criticism of individuals and ridiculous statements on every thread.

OsloHibs
02-06-2016, 11:21 AM

Through the press where he did his talking all season.

Look I'm not bothered, managers go and with hibs they go a lot! I just am not suprised he left this way, he did it as a player so I shouldn't be suprised.

Lago
02-06-2016, 11:22 AM
Absolutely. Given the league Rotherham play in, they are probably one of Europe's 100 largest clubs. Not bad going for Stubbs after only two years of management.
Under no stretch of the imagination are Rotherham any where near one of Europe's 100 largest clubs.

GreenArmyyy!
02-06-2016, 11:30 AM
"The infrastructure in the club is all there and I can focus on moulding the team rather than having to implement things like sports science" Alan Stubbs

During his Rotherham press conference he is conducting just now. First little dig at Hibs....

marinello59
02-06-2016, 11:38 AM
"The infrastructure in the club is all there and I can focus on moulding the team rather than having to implement things like sports science" Alan Stubbs

During his Rotherham press conference he is conducting just now. First little dig at Hibs....

Or simply praising his new club?
His audience wasn't Hibs or Hibs fans. You can only aim digs at people you are speaking to.

s.a.m
02-06-2016, 11:43 AM

To be fair, they have a lot more money than us, and probably will have better (or at least, more) infrastructure than us. His job will be different as a result, and if he eventually gets a bigger club, it will probably be different again. I don't think this is particularly a dig, so much as an acknowledgement that he is better resourced. Which everyone - including us - realises.

CallumLaidlaw
02-06-2016, 11:43 AM

To be fair, he has a point. And he was always very honest about how he found East mains when he arrived. Fitness monitoring equipment locked up in a cupboard, the whole place like a ghost town.

gogs_t
02-06-2016, 11:45 AM
Right .... I'm not having this folk putting the boot into Stubbsy stuff that's going on here .... he has gone, managers go all the time and this one made no secret of the fact that Hibs was a stepping stone, as are Rotherham. Some folk were wanting him booted win or lose the cup final and he probably thought his coat would have been on a shoogly peg if we made a bad start to next season ..... that and being closer to his family, its not difficult to see why he took the Rotherham gig, even if its a bit of a gamble.

In 1979 I watched Hibs lose a cup final on a pissing wet night at Hampden to an own goal in front of 35,000

In 2001 I watched as a Hibs team minus its best midfield player and with its talismanic captain half fit capitulated to Celtic

In 2012 I watched as a bunch of losers half of whom weren't fit to wear a Hibs strip disgraced my club as they handed me the worst football day of my life

In 2013 I watched as Hibs justified the bookies odds by once again capitulating to a Celtic team who brushed them aside with ease

On 21/05/2016 I watched as a Hibs team full of fighters and not a little talent, with a captain who lead by example, came back from the disappointment of losing a 1 - 0 lead to turn the game around in the last 15 minutes and give me the best day I have had ( or ever will have ) in a football stadium. The manager of that team was Alan Stubbs and I simply cannot believe that less than 2 weeks after the event folk are letting their disappointment at him leaving for the next step in his career get in the way of the fact that no matter what happened in the league the guy delivered something a lot of us thought we would never see happen ......... the man is a Hibs legend forever and I for one couldn't give a stuff what he didn't do, what he did do was 'everything' and as far as I'm concerned he could come back to Easter Road, drop his kecks and **** in the centre circle ..... I for one would be happy to wipe his arse for him.

Alan Stubbs ................... Hibs 'LEGEND' http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/not%20worthy.gif ...... FFS lets treat him like one.

:top marks

I was at the 72 final as well when the Tornadoes team couldn't do it but many of those players still have legendary status. I sometimes wonder how long that would have lasted if the internet and forums were around then.

Ronniekirk
02-06-2016, 11:50 AM
I see the euphoria of the Scottish Cup win has begun to wear off and it's back to unwarranted criticism of individuals and ridiculous statements on every thread.

Well its not worn off for me
I think some folk are disappointed it has happened so quickly after cup win ,but think once we get new Head Coach in place and start signing players ,we will be back looking forward to new season ,and realise the timing to allow us to bring in new Staff and players was best that could of been achieved

lyonhibs
02-06-2016, 11:50 AM
We should never have been in the position of not having won the cup for 114 years. By your logic, therefore, we shouldn't have celebrated that!

:agree: :agree:

Personally I couldn't get over the shame of being one of Scotland's top clubs and not having won the cup for that long.

When Gray's header hit the net, I merely chucked an empty can of lager at the screen, yelled "about bloody time too you pack of ****ers" and then retired to my man cave to paint AirFix for the rest of the day.

tamig
02-06-2016, 11:55 AM

Some paranoia on here. How can that be construed as a dig at Hibs?

We all knew the set up was a shambles post-Butcher. Deary me.

lyonhibs
02-06-2016, 11:58 AM
Some paranoia on here. How can that be construed as a dig at Hibs?

We all new the set up was a shambles post-Butcher. Deary me.

He's welcome to take as many digs at the state he found Hibs in post-Butcher. Maybe shame that grinning buffoon into making a tit of himself in the press again about how he "wasn't given a chance to implement his own ideas" or some other odious claptrap.

The idea that hinting at the reality that Hibs 2014 were an absolute farce from top to bottom is a dig at the Hibs he leaves behind is comical IMO.

tamig
02-06-2016, 12:02 PM

He's welcome to take as many digs at the state he found Hibs in post-Butcher. Maybe shame that grinning buffoon into making a tit of himself in the press again about how he "wasn't given a chance to implement his own ideas" or some other odious claptrap.

The idea that hinting at the reality that Hibs 2014 were an absolute farce from top to bottom is a dig at the Hibs he leaves behind is comical IMO.

Absolutely. Some just can't help ripping into Stubbs and twisting his words now that he's gone. Maybe if they thought about what he's actually said they might not be so bitter.

NAE NOOKIE
02-06-2016, 12:02 PM

How is telling the truth a dig ....... Its well known that when Stubbs arrived at Hibs East Mains may as well have been a dug **** strewn public park in Craigmillar for all the proper use it was being put to. Apart from winning the cup Stubbs legacy will also be that he worked his arse off along with his backroom team making Hibs a hell of a lot more professional. All he appears to be saying is that he doesn't have to do that at Rotherham.

Hibs90
02-06-2016, 12:08 PM
Stubbs says he won't be going back to Hibs for Jason Cummings because it wouldn't be morally acceptable. #rufc #hibs

E10 Rifle
02-06-2016, 12:10 PM
Stubbs says he won't be going back to Hibs for Jason Cummings because it wouldn't be morally acceptable. #rufc #hibs

Any mention of the state of the pies or seagulls?

Lago
02-06-2016, 12:18 PM
How is telling the truth a dig ....... Its well known that when Stubbs arrived at Hibs East Mains may as well have been a dug **** strewn public park in Craigmillar for all the proper use it was being put to. Apart from winning the cup Stubbs legacy will also be that he worked his arse off along with his backroom team making Hibs a hell of a lot more professional. All he appears to be saying is that he doesn't have to do that at Rotherham.
Straight to setting up his famous diamond formation, rock on Alan if you had achieved promotion as well as cup win you would have been immortal.
We now need someone to put a bit of steel into the team and produce goals from other than one player, in the main.

Hibbyradge
02-06-2016, 12:23 PM
Through the press where he did his talking all season.

Look I'm not bothered, managers go and with hibs they go a lot! I just am not suprised he left this way, he did it as a player so I shouldn't be suprised.

The Press weren't interested in Hibs' cup win after the final.

NAE NOOKIE
02-06-2016, 12:32 PM
Straight to setting up his famous diamond formation, rock on Alan if you had achieved promotion as well as cup win you would have been immortal.
We now need someone to put a bit of steel into the team and produce goals from other than one player, in the main.

Sorry mate ..... my bar for immortality must be lower than yours, if winning the Scottish cup after 114 years of failure including by the best managers and players this club has ever had isn't enough I would hate to have you as a boss :greengrin

Scorrie
02-06-2016, 12:40 PM
To be fair, he has a point. And he was always very honest about how he found East mains when he arrived. Fitness monitoring equipment locked up in a cupboard, the whole place like a ghost town.

That's how I see it. Under Butcher and Malpas things had become so bad that Stubbs had a hell of a job on his hands in turning the club round. For me he did that and so the next manager should be able to come in and everything should be in place, the same as for Stubbs at Rotherham

JimBHibees
02-06-2016, 12:44 PM

Couldn't agree more.Would any Hibs fan if given the choice have taken going up in the play offs to winning the cup. Best day of my footballing life by miles

jacomo
02-06-2016, 12:51 PM
Couldn't agree more.Would any Hibs fan if given the choice have taken going up in the play offs to winning the cup. Best day of my footballing life by miles

I thought promotion should be the priority last season, and more important than winning the Scottish Cup... but, oh my, what an achievement that was!

Season 2015/16 will be long remembered for the Cup campaign. Five months of pure drama and joy. Quite some story.

The lasting impact is impossible to judge at this stage, but I know think this club is capable of anything. We've got the monkey off our backs. We've achieved what at times seemed beyond us.

Let's look to the future with confidence.

Bay Area Hibees
02-06-2016, 12:55 PM
I fear we may look back on this season and realize it was magnificent yet nearly historic.

We almost won the cup double.

Stubbs had great cup record and overall built a really good team. I don't readily buy into the whole "top paying champ club so should expect that".

With good manager I expect us to be promoted but don't believe we will match our cup record. May be that's price we have to pay to get promoted.

lyonhibs
02-06-2016, 12:58 PM
I fear we may look back on this season and realize it was magnificent yet nearly historic.

We almost won the cup double.

Stubbs had great cup record and overall built a really good team. I don't readily buy into the whole "top paying champ club so should expect that".

With good manager I expect us to be promoted but don't believe we will match our cup record. May be that's price we have to pay to get promoted.

Aye, fearful statement that so it is.

We had to settle for The Scottish Cup.

They'll be talking about this season in 20,30, 50 years not because it was "nearly" historic but because it was historic

Bay Area Hibees
02-06-2016, 12:59 PM
Sorry in hindsight it was historic and never bettered.

hibee_girl
03-06-2016, 07:53 AM
Better article in the evening news today

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-now-have-a-structure-for-success-stubbs-1-4144961

madhibee_again
03-06-2016, 08:22 AM
The article in today's Evening News says it all about the man. He is a legend. Forever.

silverhibee
03-06-2016, 08:49 AM

So Cummings will be offski then. :greengrin

chrisski33
03-06-2016, 08:57 AM
Ayes he gonna ring every player and suss out which ones want to join him.......

Big L
03-06-2016, 09:19 AM
That's how I see it. Under Butcher and Malpas things had become so bad that Stubbs had a hell of a job on his hands in turning the club round. For me he did that and so the next manager should be able to come in and everything should be in place, the same as for Stubbs at Rotherham

Stubbs is gonna be disappointed then, according to Warnock the training facilities are crap and need a lot of money spenton them, get on with it Stubbs.

Hibbyradge
03-06-2016, 09:27 AM

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-now-have-a-structure-for-success-stubbs-1-4144961

:applause:

Brilliant article.

Scorrie
03-06-2016, 09:31 AM
The article in today's Evening News says it all about the man. He is a legend. Forever.

A great interview. Stubbs is a class act

Treadstone
03-06-2016, 09:34 AM

Brown always goes for content over the sensationalist angle. Good read.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
03-06-2016, 09:40 AM

Get a grip.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
03-06-2016, 09:52 AM

Legend!

flash
03-06-2016, 10:16 AM
Great article from a great man.

Northernhibee
03-06-2016, 10:20 AM

No way to speak about a club legend. L

JimBHibees
03-06-2016, 10:26 AM
Classy words. All the best Alan.

Northernhibee
03-06-2016, 10:29 AM
He's a true gentleman, out of our recent managers it'd only have been wee Pat that I'd have wanted to break the hoodoo as much as him.

chrisski33
05-07-2016, 11:56 AM
No way to speak about a club legend. L

true though as they are after cummings :-)