PDA

View Full Version : Lennon ready to talk....

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Hibby soldier
01-06-2016, 05:33 PM
NEIL LENNON is ready to speak to Hibs about sensationally replacing Alan Stubbs just a week after narrowly missing out on a Celtic return.
SunSport Online understands the out of work Lennon is keen to hear the future plans of the Scottish Cup winners who are desperate to make a quick appointment following the exit of Stubbs to Rotherham United.
It’s believed the Hibees have made their interest known in the 44-year-old

ekhibee
01-06-2016, 05:36 PM
If true then that would be very interesting, but it is The Sun......

neil7908
01-06-2016, 05:37 PM
Just can't see it although after Bolton I think he'd struggle to get a decent job down south so who knows...

Pretty Boy
01-06-2016, 05:38 PM
The Sun are usually pretty accurate when it comes to Hibs stories (transfers that is).

I wouldn't be shocked if this was accurate nor would I be unhappy.

High-On-Hibs
01-06-2016, 05:40 PM
In normal circumstances, I wouldn't want him anywhere near Hibs. But for the sheer sake of winding up THAT half of Glasgow......

500miles
01-06-2016, 05:40 PM
An unsavoury character, a thug, who has achieved nothing when faced with any sort of competition.

No thanks.

Jones28
01-06-2016, 05:41 PM
That would be terrific. It would wind up that mob especially.

Andy74
01-06-2016, 05:41 PM
An unsavoury character, a thug, who has achieved nothing when faced with any sort of competition.

No thanks.

Past caring about people's character.

Would he get us promoted?

Is Stokes a lovely guy?!

Captain Trips
01-06-2016, 05:43 PM
He has won the SPL he knows Scottish football. Neil Lennon should welll be able to get us promoted and if he didnt it would IMO be his fault before board, if we hire Gemmil or Cathro type then the boardwould be fully to blame IMO.

Every manager is a risk, Neil Lennon is less a risk than somebody who has never managed

madhatter
Lennon would motivate the players. They would certainly have more dig about them which is something we've lacked hence we struggle against battling teams.

Not sure if I want him though but certainly wouldn't be unhappy if he did. Not initially anyway...

JK Rolling
NEIL LENNON is ready to speak to Hibs about sensationally replacing Alan Stubbs just a week after narrowly missing out on a Celtic return.
SunSport Online understands the out of work Lennon is keen to hear the future plans of the Scottish Cup winners who are desperate to make a quick appointment following the exit of Stubbs to Rotherham United.

He's toxic and for that reason, I'm out.

High-On-Hibs
Is Stokes a lovely guy?!

Yes! Yes he is! :love ya!:

http://www.independent.ie/incoming/article34735360.ece/ALTERNATES/h342/stokes.jpg

BroxburnHibee
Out of all the names mentioned this was the one I liked most. I just didn't think he'd be interested.

Winding up the Huns is an added bonus...

flash
01-06-2016, 05:44 PM
He has been sinned against far more than he has sinned.

Keith_M
It would certainly be an interesting appointment, for a number of reasons.

One Day Soon
Neil Lennon ......and Scott Brown. Hmmmmm

Pete
01-06-2016, 05:45 PM

What does that mean?

:confused:

S4uzee

Is Stokes a lovely guy?!

Precisely

147lothian
We need a manager with experience of managing at a high level and one that has connections to get us back to the spl in this regard lennon ticks all the boxes for me from a footballing point of view, but as is said above it is the sun its been reported in

Thegreenside
And he hates the jambos

KWJ

No thanks.

Hated him as a player and can never forget his off the ball kick at Tam McManus.

But that was as a player.

He beat Barcelona on the way to last 16 of Champions League, in my book that's some pretty good competition.

And his last game in Scotland was a Scottish Cup win so we've got that in common :thumbsup:

One Day Soon
01-06-2016, 05:46 PM
I'm not sure I really believe this is true. But one clear upside, no more soft touch Hibs - for anyone.

Pretty Boy
01-06-2016, 05:46 PM

No thanks.

Last 16 of the Champions League?

A fine acheivement faced with considerable opposition. He also won the then SPL far more handily than his successor managed.

The rest of the post is a total character assasination which is a bit off unless you have encountered this side of him personally. Surely the way the media has acted with regards Hibs in the last couple of weeks has taught us not to take every story or half truth they publish as gospel?

HibbySpurs
01-06-2016, 05:47 PM
This as bizarre as it seems actually seems to have a bit of truth in it.

Would be straight out of left field as they say and would wind der Hun up no end.

Think he would be exactly what we need to win the championship in all honesty... Far too often teams have kicked us off the park and our superior squad struggled (think Falkirk)....

Under this guy make no mistake our superior squad woul very quickly learn how to kick back and kick harder.

One Day Soon
01-06-2016, 05:49 PM
I have to say it would also be absolutely classic Petrie. You think you're getting your own way and the last word with the independent inquiry aye? I'd like to introduce our new manager to you....

easty
I always kind of liked him as a player, the sort of player I wished we had. He knew his limitations and he did the job he was in there to do well.

As a manager though...no so sure.

Captain Trips

A fine acheivement faced with considerable opposition. He also won the then SPL far more handily than his successor managed.

The rest of the post is a total character assasination which is a bit off unless you have encountered this side of him personally. Surely the way the media has acted with regards Hibs in the last couple of weeks has taught us not to take every story or half truth they publish as gospel?

Indeed we have to go up no ifs or buts, Lennon IMO is orshould be more than capable of winning this league, risk indeed but far less of a risk than untried manager.

hibs0666
01-06-2016, 05:51 PM

In what way toxic?

Onion
01-06-2016, 05:52 PM
Promotion is only goal. If LD thinks Lennon is best man to achieve that, and we can get him, then I trust her judgement.

FWIW - could not care less what the Huns think. After we humped them in the Scottish Cup Final, they are even less relevant than before.

blaikie
01-06-2016, 05:53 PM
Id be happy if that's true .... Has European experience

KWJ
01-06-2016, 05:53 PM
This as bizarre as it seems actually seems to have a bit of truth in it.

Would be straight out of left field as they say and would wind der Hun up no end.

Think he would be exactly what we need to win the championship in all honesty... Far too often teams have kicked us off the park and our superior squad struggled (think Falkirk)....

Under this guy make no mistake our superior squad woul very quickly learn how to kick back and kick harder.

John McGinn to play with a skinhead next season :greengrin

Westie1875
01-06-2016, 05:54 PM
He'll do 👍

Just Alf
01-06-2016, 05:54 PM

Very true... met him once and he seemed an excellent guy.... one of the peeps at work, a Hu.... errr.. Sevco supporter met him at a function a while back and said the banter back and forth was great... just went down hill a bit when a bigot type appeared.. oh well..

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

AgentDaleCooper
01-06-2016, 06:04 PM
On the park he was an absolute bawsack, but I met him once off it and he came across very sound - I'd managed to run out of petrol on a one way street, parked up a hill, and he was the first car that I was blocking. Most people would have quite rightly called me a complete moron, but he pretty much laughed about it...could be because he was worrying I was a hun ready to pagger him, but I really doubt he's as bad as he's made out. And as someone pointed out - Stokes is an absolute fanny. Immortal legend of our club - but a bigoted fanny none the less. Not that I give a toss - just pointing this out!

Smartie
01-06-2016, 06:06 PM
I hated him as a player and couldn't stand him as Celtic manager and made up loads of assumptions about him as a person as a result.

Since then I've really liked him as a pundit and a few of my mates have met him - to a man they say he's totally sound and haven't had a bad word to say about him (that includes a few Sevconians too).

He seems to have been quite like Stubbs in the past i.e. popular with players and rallies the troops behind him whilst not giving a hoot what anyone else thinks about him.

I'm surprised he'd entertain the notion of joining us but if he was interested I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Golden Bear
01-06-2016, 06:07 PM
Hopefully our Board are more savvy than the Hibs Net selection panel who consider that an essential quality for a prospective candidate would be the ability to wind up other teams fans!

Mr White
01-06-2016, 06:08 PM
Stokes is a good comparison to Lennon in the way that people's opinions on an individual can change in a relatively short time. What would the general opinion on here a year ago of Stokesy been?

I'll be delighted if it's Neil Lennon.

HibsNibs
Please god - NO. Not Hibs class.

MyJo
He'll be waiting for Brendan Rodgers to jump ship back to the premiership before going for the Celtic job again, give him a rolling yearly contract to rebuild his reputation and get us promoted and take it from there.

corby hibee
01-06-2016, 06:09 PM
He was my number one choice, oh this could get interesting. would be a brilliant appointment.

iwasthere1972
01-06-2016, 06:10 PM
I would be happy with that. Knows the Scottish game inside out and his name would fit in nicely to the 'We've got McGinn' song.

Count me in. :aok:

Just Alf
01-06-2016, 06:10 PM
I hated him as a player and couldn't stand him as Celtic manager and made up loads of assumptions about him as a person as a result.

Since then I've really liked him as a pundit and a few of my mates have met him - to a man they say he's totally sound and haven't had a bad word to say about him (that includes a few Sevconians too).

He seems to have been quite like Stubbs in the past i.e. popular with players and rallies the troops behind him whilst not giving a hoot what anyone else thinks about him.

I'm surprised he'd entertain the notion of joining us but if he was interested I'd take him in a heartbeat.
This in spades

GGTTH!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

col02
01-06-2016, 06:11 PM
Could be an interesting appointment as I think he will have a decent relationship with Celtic still so could pave the way for a couple loan signings of the Henderson ilk.

Jim44
01-06-2016, 06:12 PM
Hated him as a player and can never forget his off the ball kick at Tam McManus.

But that was as a player.

He beat Barcelona on the way to last 16 of Champions League, in my book that's some pretty good competition.

And his last game in Scotland was a Scottish Cup win so we've got that in commony :thumbsup:

I suppose it'll become a standard quiz question ........ What do Stubbs, Lennon and Van Gaal have in common. :rolleyes:

hibs#1
01-06-2016, 06:12 PM
He has been sinned against far more than he has sinned.

I agree with this

hibs#1
01-06-2016, 06:14 PM
As a player I think he was the type you'll love him if he plays with your team and hate him if he played against you

Loads of players like that out there doesn't make them.a bad person

Stax
01-06-2016, 06:15 PM
I'd take him in a heartbeat. Can't argue with his pedigree / connections. As implausible as it sounds it might be a good fit for him away from all the "traditions" of the ugly sisters. I felt sorry for all the nonsense he endured here and with Northern Ireland. Definatley a feisty character and one a lot of us loved to hate as a player / manager, but in our corner I think it could work well.

Stuarty27
01-06-2016, 06:15 PM
He is exactly what we need imo.

We were far to pedestrian at times last time, I get the impression he would have the players fired up right from the start.

SquashedFrogg
01-06-2016, 06:16 PM
I suppose it'll become a standard quiz question ........ What do Stubbs, Lennon and Van Gaal:confused: have in common. :rolleyes:

He's no good enough to win the Scottish Cup :na na:

WhileTheChief..
01-06-2016, 06:16 PM
I'd be delighted with this if it happens.

Don't care who he's managed in the past, he's a proven winner.

Man, that would be a real statement of intent from the Hibs board. Quality.

Hibs90
01-06-2016, 06:17 PM
Personally need convincing if it is him

Renfrew_Hibby
01-06-2016, 06:18 PM
By all accounts Lennon, like McCoist is a sound fella and actually a really likable guy... Away from football that is.
My problem is, we need to get up, is he capable? We don't really know. You, me and my maw could manage Celtic and achieve some decent results.

Stuarty27
01-06-2016, 06:19 PM
3/1 2nd favourite behind Yogi

Lago
01-06-2016, 06:20 PM
He's a winner and there would be no more soft touch Hibs. He would be able to attract decent players, do for me but must be a real long shot.

NikGunnarsson
01-06-2016, 06:20 PM
Would be silly not to be happy with this,very experienced and has a point to prove. Good contacts and esp with Celtic, if Stokes doesn't get games at celtic stick on he would come here if Lennon was.

--------
01-06-2016, 06:21 PM

A fine achievement faced with considerable opposition. He also won the then SPL far more handily than his successor managed.

The rest of the post is a total character assassination which is a bit off unless you have encountered this side of him personally. Surely the way the media has acted with regards Hibs in the last couple of weeks has taught us not to take every story or half truth they publish as gospel?

Totally agree with you both. Neil Lennon was the player and is the manager whom you loathe if he plays for or manages someone else - but if he's playing or working for you, you learn to appreciate all the positives - that's if you have any sense, that is.

Lennon was made a target by some of the nastiest of the Sevco support (and we all know how nasty THEY can be) and at times he used this as motivation before OF games and just to wind them up from time to time.

He couldn't be more different from AS in his public persona, but he bleeds football and commitment to the job in hand and if we could get him, I'd be very pleased indeed.

I know people from both sides of the OF who've met him and told me he's a very pleasant man to talk to. I've also heard his players have always thought very highly of him and bought into his ideas - which were GOOD ideas.

It wasn't his fault his last job went pear-shaped - not by a long chalk.

Topographic Hibby
01-06-2016, 06:23 PM
We don't need to worry about Sevco and Jambos on the league front. Don't need to give a stuff about Tynecastle & Ibrox, 'cause we ain't goin' there.

If he is appointed, its for one thing only. Dare I say it, to hell with the cups - we must get out of this league this year, no questions asked. If NL can do it, then so be it.

Over to you Lennon, can you get past Raith, Falkirk, DUFC, Dunfermline & Ayr etc etc with *this* Hibs side, less Stokes & Hendo and a few other ins/outs?

PiemanP
01-06-2016, 06:25 PM
Do I like him? No.

Would he get us out this league? I think so.

Sign him up!

Dibben
01-06-2016, 06:25 PM
If we got Lennon, we'd have to accept him as a shorter term Manager, who would probably move on after 2 years - should he get us promoted.

I'd be delighted to get him!

mjhibby
01-06-2016, 06:27 PM
I would be happy with that. Knows the Scottish game inside out and his name would fit in nicely to the 'We've got McGinn' song.

Count me in. :aok:

We simply have to get a manager in to fit the John mcginn song. Neil Lennon,Owen Coyne,Billy Davies all fit the bill. If the name doesn't fit the song then I'm afraid no chance of the job. The fans singing the song after beating the saintees at the pbs is my favourite outside sol of course.

Danderhall Hibs
01-06-2016, 06:27 PM
Who wrote the article? If Kenny Miller then it's likely to have something in it.

brianmc
01-06-2016, 06:28 PM
Despite Lennon's persona as an odious little git he's actually a really sound guy. He's been friends with my father in law since he(Lennon) first came to play games in Scotland as a teenager when my faither in law was involved with the Motherwell youth team. I'll put a call in tonight to see if he's heard anything!

Jim44
01-06-2016, 06:29 PM
My gut reaction is no, not him but I'm being swept along on a sudden and unexpected tide of enthusiasm so I'll hold up my hands and say ......... If that's our ticket out of this crap league, let's do it.

steakbake
01-06-2016, 06:29 PM
I'm interested why people think he is so toxic. Lay it out - what exactly has he done?

More I think about it, the more I'd love to see him at ER next year. He'd do a job for us.

70KevinHFC62
01-06-2016, 06:31 PM
Proven winner. We as a club are no longer soft centred and this appointment would go even further as we would never get booted off a park, I doubt he would allow it. If we are able to keep a majority of this team together there is a bit of everything. Skill flair boys who can put a foot in. Get a winger in who can change a game

nickwhibs
I actually like the guy. Plus I think he be a good appointment.

macd123
As long as he doesn't hurt the Rangers feelings again. That's the main thing.

LustForLeith
Imagine we got Lennon

givescotlandfreedom
01-06-2016, 06:32 PM
He came across as pretty loathsome at Celtc IMO. But wouldn't mind him on our side.

Jonnyboy
01-06-2016, 06:35 PM
What does that mean?

:confused:

In what way toxic?

Excellent question but unlikely to get an answer - coolio is 'out' :wink:

Pretty Boy
01-06-2016, 06:35 PM
Imagine we got Lennon

Ono! The puns have started.

Jonnyboy
01-06-2016, 06:37 PM

:greengrin

iwasthere1972
01-06-2016, 06:38 PM
Imagine we got Lennon

No chance. It's only Mind Games.

All we are saying is give Hibs a chance.

Sas_The_Hibby
01-06-2016, 06:39 PM
We simply have to get a manager in to fit the John mcginn song. Neil Lennon,Owen Coyne,Billy Davies all fit the bill. If the name doesn't fit the song then I'm afraid no chance of the job. The fans singing the song after beating the saintees at the pbs is my favourite outside sol of course.

:greengrin: Their name fitting in with our song catalogue should be our ONLY criterion for selecting a manager from now on! :thumbsup:

Sas_The_Hibby
01-06-2016, 06:40 PM
No chance. It's only Mind Games.

All we are saying is give Hibs a chance.

Still, it could be instant karma.

SaulGoodman
01-06-2016, 06:44 PM
Can we not. I'm looking for news not Shan puns.

AgentDaleCooper
01-06-2016, 06:45 PM
Can we not. I'm looking for news not Shan puns.

aye.

let it be.

iwasthere1972
01-06-2016, 06:46 PM
We can then boast that Lennon and McCartney managed the Hibees.

Waxy
01-06-2016, 06:46 PM
Always thought he was detestable at Celtic.The reason though was he always fiercely defended his players, never gave the opposition any credit and done it with a passion.If he was like that for us i guess i could live with him.

FitbaFolkKen
01-06-2016, 06:49 PM
Who wrote the article? If Kenny Miller then it's likely to have something in it.

He didn't write it but confirmed it on twitter an hour ago.

Frank Moon
01-06-2016, 06:51 PM
He's tuffin us up to win games against Falkirk etc and get us out the league.

I'd like him as the new manager.

LustForLeith
01-06-2016, 06:53 PM

it's easy if you try

Finn2015
01-06-2016, 06:53 PM
Would think it was a great appointment

Scorrie
01-06-2016, 06:54 PM
I actually like the guy. Plus I think he be a good appointment.

Me too.

JK Rolling
01-06-2016, 06:55 PM
In what way toxic?

I mean by the definition of toxic as in, extremely harsh, malicious, or harmful. As the Celtic manager he could, within reason, get away with his arrogant and 'up himself' attitude. Do any of us really want his coupon on the telly with the clubs badge below? Also, as far as winding up The Rangers, how? If Lennon achieved promotion with us he'd be off like a shot to the first half decent club, Stubbs departure being the case in point, therefore would never (potential cup draws aside) face them.

Skåne Hibs
01-06-2016, 06:56 PM
Lennon is one of the guys I wanted from the start. I didn't think he'd take the job.

He's one if those managers that when he's managing a team he fights for the team on the pitch and with media. If you're not a supporter of that team (as nobody on here was of Celtic) then he comes across a biased annoying twat. But if he's your team's manager then it's totally different.

Gordy M
01-06-2016, 06:57 PM
My worry would be that Lennon has spoken to a journalist rather than hibs.....not something hibs/petrie/dempster are keen on?

Vault Boy
He's Neil Lennon's man, he's better than Zidane...

Aye get him signed.

Viva_Palmeiras

Mibbie tying Mcginn to the Hibees is better than tying him to a manager?

3pm
01-06-2016, 06:58 PM
If he's the best candidate, nae bother.

JK Rolling
01-06-2016, 06:59 PM
Excellent question but unlikely to get an answer - coolio is 'out' :wink:

As posted in reply elsewhere on this thread, my opinion, nothing more than that.

I mean by the definition of toxic as in, extremely harsh, malicious, or harmful. As the Celtic manager he could, within reason, get away with his arrogant and 'up himself' attitude. Do any of us really want his coupon on the telly with the clubs badge below? Also, as far as winding up The Rangers, how? If Lennon achieved promotion with us he'd be off like a shot to the first half decent club, Stubbs departure being the case in point, therefore would never (potential cup draws aside) face them.

blackpoolhibs
01-06-2016, 06:59 PM

No thanks.

Eddie Turnbull was a warm considerate man, who often helped old ladies across the road.

hibs0666
01-06-2016, 07:01 PM

Harmful to who? Harsh on what? Malicious in what way?

ALF TUPPER
01-06-2016, 07:02 PM
I'd like him . :aok:

bighairyfaeleith
Celtic didn't play good football under lennon, that's my main issue. My second was that he appeared to get lucky and face rangers when they where struggling and even then made a bit of a meal of it.

I'm just not convinced he is a good manager. But I have been wrong before so if he gets the job he will get my backing.

Also, he is ginger :devil:

Jonnyboy

Neil Lennon did what all Celtc managers do - adopt the chip on the shoulder, everybody hates us attitude. WGS was the same but once you take these guys out of that environment it's a whole different kettle of fish

Diclonius
01-06-2016, 07:05 PM
Is it just me or are people looking past the results Lennon actually got in charge of Celtic and just to his attitude? Let's take a look at his record:

League - won the league in 2012 (against administration-hit and relegated Rangers), 2013 and 2014 (with virtually no competition). In his only full season against a full-strength Rangers, he failed to win the league (albeit by one point).
Cups - we'll excuse the Scottish cup semi defeat v County as he was just in the job. Won the Scottish Cup 2 times out of 4 and didn't win the League Cup once, again 3 of those seasons with a wounded Rangers. 2 out of 8 is a pretty poor record considering the opposition.
Europe - Last 16 in Champions League once and bottom of the group stage once. Group stage (3rd) in the Europa League in 11-12 once. Just about the pass rate for Celtic in Europe.

He did okay at Celtic but it wasn't particularly spectacular. At Celtic he had an abundance of riches, whilst at Bolton he had the opposite - therefore I'd say he's actually an unknown quantity in terms of ability. I reckon he'd get us promoted, though in terms of how we'd do in the Premiership I have no idea.

We could do better, but I wouldn't be against appointing him. I just don't think he's the messiah many would make him out to be.

lucky
01-06-2016, 07:05 PM
Never liked him as a player, mainly because he was a winner who gave his all. As a manager he is winner, but that was with money. He struggled at Bolton under bad circumstances. If LD believes he could do a job and get us promoted. Then he'll do for me.

hibees 7062
01-06-2016, 07:07 PM
Inside The SPFL ‏@AgentScotland 2h (https://twitter.com/AgentScotland/status/738046440124092417) As hinted at yesterday, Neil Lennon is interested in the job! That would be a box office move from Hibernian

OsloHibs
01-06-2016, 07:07 PM
He's Neil Lennon's man, he's better than Zidane...

Aye get him signed.

Agree.

Big_Franck
01-06-2016, 07:08 PM
I don't want that wee prick anywhere near my club.

Skol
01-06-2016, 07:08 PM
I would find it very hard to go back and watch HIbs if Neil Lennon was in charge. Very Hard.

Yesterday I didnt want Mccall but I would welcome him with open arms if he was the only alternative to Lennon

FFS, I would even take Levein ahead of Lennon. Nasty Nasty piece of work.

hibees 7062
01-06-2016, 07:11 PM
I'm interested why people think he is so toxic. Lay it out - what exactly has he done?

More I think about it, the more I'd love to see him at ER next year. He'd do a job for us.

https://youtu.be/Ht7nJN97myA?t=1 Seems like a nice guy

blackpoolhibs
Looks like Pat Stanton is the only man everyone would back, mind you he did leave us and go to Celtic?

jacomo

No thanks.

Did you have anything constructive to add to your character assassination?

FWIW I would be highly surprised if Neil Lennon ends up here, and you are entitled to your opinion of him as a man (although people who know him speak highly of him)... But the guy is a winner. To say otherwise is a bit daft.

jacomo
01-06-2016, 07:12 PM
Looks like Pat Stanton is the only man everyone would back, mind you he did leave us and go to Celtic?

Has the Bring Back Yogi campaign not taken off?

:wink:

Saint Hibee
01-06-2016, 07:15 PM
It's natural to dislike opposition players or managers who are good. Those who genuinely have nothing to offer simply get laughed at. I don't remember laughing at Lennon but do indeed remember disliking him - therefore he's my choice for next Hibs manager!

lugz
01-06-2016, 07:15 PM
Hire him and watch us be drawn away to the Rangers in a cup......scenes!!

Skol
01-06-2016, 07:17 PM
on reflection I wouldnt take Levein ahead of Lennon - that was a rash comment

SeanWilson
01-06-2016, 07:18 PM
personally thought he wasn't gettable and therefore dismissed outright. If he's willing to come for a couple of years i'd take it. He's the kind of name the players are likely to hang around for and the kind of name that can attract players. Sign him up if we can.

S.sct
01-06-2016, 07:19 PM
Interesting :hmmm:

hibees 7062
01-06-2016, 07:21 PM

On loan Stokes scoring the winner :greengrin

judas
01-06-2016, 07:24 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooo

WhileTheChief..
01-06-2016, 07:25 PM
This is the first name that has got me excited.

It would be a tremendous appointment if it comes off and there's nothing really to stop it from happening. His agent would have sounded Hibs out about the cash on offer and I'm sure LD would go for him.

He doesn't need to commit long term. A simple 1yr deal to get us promoted then review if he wants.

We go up and his stock rises again in a short period of time. There's a lot of out of work managers and he won't want to be out the game for too long.

I reckon things will move fast, he'll be here by the end of the week :thumbsup:

Squealing pig
01-06-2016, 07:26 PM
Wouldn't take him no way

brianmc
01-06-2016, 07:27 PM

Oooft!! That'd be a belter

WhileTheChief..
01-06-2016, 07:27 PM
First bit of business will be Stokes and Henderson on permanent deals :)

stoneyburn hibs
01-06-2016, 07:28 PM

It's the Daily Record readers saying that he's a "thug", "toxic" when never having even met the guy.

I wouldn't mind him as our next manager.

bingo70
01-06-2016, 07:28 PM
Someone made the point he's used to coming up against teams that only want to sit in and defend and he knows how to set up a team to counter this tactic, that's got to be a good attribute to have in this league.

Ginger hair though.....

Joe6-2
01-06-2016, 07:31 PM
on reflection I wouldnt take Levein ahead of Lennon - that was a rash comment

Well rescinded!!

yekimevol
01-06-2016, 07:31 PM
Not a fan at all would be near the bottom of any list I made for the next hibs manager, theres a little to much chaos surrounding him when I think of him getting into scraps with other managers, referees strike and I'm not sure how he would handle not having the wealth at celtic.

WWFTWTG
01-06-2016, 07:32 PM
Too much sectarian baggage - whether it be his fault or not

Joe6-2
01-06-2016, 07:32 PM
personally thought he wasn't gettable and therefore dismissed outright. If he's willing to come for a couple of years i'd take it. He's the kind of name the players are likely to hang around for and the kind of name that can attract players. Sign him up if we can.

What sort of salary would he want??

Cameron1875
01-06-2016, 07:33 PM
Nasty, horrible player and an absolute jakeball of a guy despite the fact he sometimes tries to scrub himself up to appear presentable.

He's still a hell of a long way better qualified than some of the others linked with us. Knows the Scottish game inside out and will probably get us Henderson again for another year!

If I turn up to ER and see Hughes, McCall, Coyle in the dugout then I'll be a bit depressed.

Malthibby
01-06-2016, 07:34 PM
Yes please. Think he's a good manager, would draw/help keep players, would pee off the Hunhordes, would be a statement from Leanne & Co about moving on. Would also suggest a bit of money was available because he wouldn't come if the squad wasn't able to be strengthened.
GG

BoltonHibernian
01-06-2016, 07:35 PM

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yorkshire HFC
01-06-2016, 07:36 PM
Would be a major coup for us.

G B Young
01-06-2016, 07:38 PM
Hard to imagine this actually happening, and now that his name's in the frame there will probably be a sense of disappointment if we DON'T get him. No question in my mind he'd be a good appointment much as I disliked him at Celtic. However, that Celtic connection might enhance our chances of bringing back players like Stokes and Henderson, both of whom presumably know him well.

crewetollhibee
01-06-2016, 07:39 PM
Stokes is a good comparison to Lennon in the way that people's opinions on an individual can change in a relatively short time. What would the general opinion on here a year ago of Stokesy been?

I'll be delighted if it's Neil Lennon.

A year ago ? Less than a month ago loads on here were still having serious digs about Stokes signing in Jan. That's the nature of the beast, and I for one would welcome Lennon to ER.

OsloHibs
01-06-2016, 07:39 PM
I would find it very hard to go back and watch HIbs if Neil Lennon was in charge. Very Hard.

The devil himself could be in charge of the hibs and I'd still come over to watch them. My love for hibs is bigger than my hatred for any person.
Just trust leanne, she's done very well for us so far.

weecounty hibby
01-06-2016, 07:40 PM
Absolutely ****in hated him as a player and manager at celtic. Probably due to his winning mentality and total defence of his club and players. These are traits that I think we need at Hibs next season. A will to win and a take no **** from anyone attitude when it comes to giving our club stick. More excited aboit NL than i ever thought i would be

SeanWilson
01-06-2016, 07:42 PM
What sort of salary would he want??

lol how the F would i know? :greengrin

i'd imagine he's been squared up by Bolton and not in need of money anyway. I remember reading an article in the herald that said what he missed the most about leaving Celtic for Bolton was the knowledge that he wasn't expecting to win every week. I reckon a year at hibs with a team and budget expected to win every week would appeal. Even if for one year, it'd be worth taking the punt as you can be sure as **** he'd be using it as a stepping stone and ensuring we win the league at a canter at all costs.

crewetollhibee
01-06-2016, 07:43 PM

Now THAT made me laugh !! 🏆🏆🏆

Joe6-2
01-06-2016, 07:44 PM
lol how the F would i know? :greengrin

i'd imagine he's been squared up by Bolton and not in need of money anyway. I remember reading an article in the herald that said what he missed the most about leaving Celtic for Bolton was the knowledge that he wasn't expecting to win every week. I reckon a year at hibs with a team and budget expected to win every week would appeal. Even if for one year, it'd be worth taking the punt as you can be sure as **** he'd be using it as a stepping stone and ensuring we win the league at a canter at all costs.

Wasn't asking you personally, agreed with your post, just put the question out there

southsider
01-06-2016, 07:45 PM
No more a soft touch. Get us up Neil. Do whatever it takes.

Finn2015
01-06-2016, 07:46 PM

True this appointment might be investigated as it is 'provocative'

bighairyfaeleith
01-06-2016, 07:48 PM
Someone made the point he's used to coming up against teams that only want to sit in and defend and he knows how to set up a team to counter this tactic, that's got to be a good attribute to have in this league.

Ginger hair though.....

exactly

.....your second point i mean:greengrin

SeanWilson
01-06-2016, 07:48 PM
Wasn't asking you personally, agreed with your post, just put the question out there

I'd assume it wouldn't be about money. A year at hibs, getting paid what i'd assume will be pretty decent money (obv not Celtic or Bolton money), while managing a team that should be winning every week will appeal to a manager who desperately needs a springboard after a rubbish couple of years. He's seen Stubbs being linked with nearly every championship job dan sath and he hadn't even won us the cup at that point.... its a shrewd move by him and club if comes off.

Nicho87
01-06-2016, 07:49 PM
Imagine lennon dealing with the awful decisions we get from these bias refs. Petrie will need a seperate cheque book.

Hi Heid Yin
01-06-2016, 07:53 PM
Eddie Turnbull was a warm considerate man, who often helped old ladies across the road.

:tee hee:

blackpoolhibs
01-06-2016, 07:59 PM
Has the Bring Back Yogi campaign not taken off?

:wink:

:greengrin I dont want him back, but if he did come back we'd have a manager who'd achieved much more than Mowbray and Stubbs, and i think he'd do well.

I'd love anyone from Lennon McCall or McLeish, i think they would guarantee promotion by a 1st place finish next season.

JohnMcM
01-06-2016, 08:01 PM
Imagine we got Lennon

Quick, brilliant and so funny:top marks

MickeyEdwards
01-06-2016, 08:01 PM

Is Stokes a lovely guy?!

Never thought that I would find myself supporting your point of view but I agree 100%

He'll certainly motivate the players to win matches IMO! :wink: :agree:

Big L
01-06-2016, 08:03 PM
Lennon and Yogi dream team!

JohnMcM
01-06-2016, 08:03 PM
aye.

let it be.

Gigglefest on it's way:greengrin

The_Exile
01-06-2016, 08:04 PM
Would be great for us at this point in our evolution, we need to get some swagger about us, bit of siege mentality wouldn't do us any harm either, we've got a proper battle next year with Utd and Falkirk.

MyJo
01-06-2016, 08:04 PM
Lennon and Yogi dream team!

More likely to be Lennon with John Kennedy as as assistant.

JohnMcM
01-06-2016, 08:05 PM
it's easy if you try

Chuckling out loud now:greengrin

Weststandwanab
01-06-2016, 08:07 PM
Imagine we got Lennon

Sounds good.

Yesterday I didnt want Mccall but I would welcome him with open arms if he was the only alternative to Lennon

FFS, I would even take Levein ahead of Lennon. Nasty Nasty piece of work.

Potter really?

Imagine lennon dealing with the awful decisions we get from these bias refs. Petrie will need a seperate cheque book.

RP would just have to sign a Direct Debit Mandate.

FitbaFolkKen
01-06-2016, 08:07 PM
As I see it Neil Lennon would give us the following positives

- Signal of intent - The players and fans would know we were serious about going up this season so would help with retention, recruitment and season ticket sales.
- Experience of being the big fish - someone mentioned earlier about how he will be used to setting up teams to break down opposition that just sit in.
- Winning mentality - He is a fighter and that would rub off on the players.

I don't think he is a tactical genius and he isn't without controversy but I think it would be a very bold appointment by the club.

Smartie
01-06-2016, 08:20 PM
True this appointment might be investigated as it is 'provocative'

Now he's been linked with us I expect at the very least that The Rangers release a statement.

Next step I believe their fans should start another petition.

ruthven_raiders
01-06-2016, 08:23 PM
Never thought that I would find myself supporting your point of view but I agree 100%

He'll certainly motivate the players to win matches IMO! :wink: :agree:

Exactly this, we need someone to get us out of league and established back in top flight

Dashing Bob S
01-06-2016, 08:27 PM
Nasty, horrible player and an absolute jakeball of a guy despite the fact he sometimes tries to scrub himself up to appear presentable.

He's still a hell of a long way better qualified than some of the others linked with us. Knows the Scottish game inside out and will probably get us Henderson again for another year!

If I turn up to ER and see Hughes, McCall, Coyle in the dugout then I'll be a bit depressed.

A lot of people pass judgement on Neil Lennon without knowing him. I don't profess to but I have met him on a few ocassions and he comes over as an exceptionally nice person.

Yes, he might have got caught up in the cess pit politics of the OF but he wasn't the first and won't be the last.

Bigger problem is that he's not a great manager.

Cocaine&Caviar
01-06-2016, 08:33 PM
Does this mean we're going to release one of those tri-colour collar jackets? No thanks.

BoomtownHibees
01-06-2016, 08:35 PM
Does this mean we're going to release one of those tri-colour collar jackets? No thanks.

Why would it mean that? Did we release one with a St George flag when we got Stubbs?

GreenNWhiteArmy
01-06-2016, 08:36 PM
I hated Neil Lennon as a player and as manager at Celtic but what cannot be denied is he built the best celtic squad since Martin o Neill's UEFA CUP final side (with the help of a former scout of ours of course)

When he went in to punditry with the BBC I started to warm to him, the way he spoke about the game was much better than clowns like Martin Keown and Ian Wright (although I did feel a bit dirty agreeing wi him at times)

If we managed to pull it off and get him in this would be for me, our biggest sign of ambition in my 27 years following hibs home and away (although you could argue signings like Sauzee were huge but in a time where money is extremely tight in Scottish fitbaw). Not gonna get too carried away just yet it's all rumours at the moment but would be a great appointment IMO

GreenOnions
01-06-2016, 08:39 PM

Sorry to be immature her but the bit in bold just had me imagining Lennon sashaying into Easter Road with pearls, high heals big make up and an absolutely FABULOUS dress.

FWIW though - there may well be other candidates equally appropriate for the job but Neil Lennon definitely ticks the right boxes IMHO. I'd like to see him interviewed for the role.

TheReg!
01-06-2016, 08:40 PM
As I see it Neil Lennon would give us the following positives

- Signal of intent - The players and fans would know we were serious about going up this season so would help with retention, recruitment and season ticket sales.
- Experience of being the big fish - someone mentioned earlier about how he will be used to setting up teams to break down opposition that just sit in.
- Winning mentality - He is a fighter and that would rub off on the players.

I don't think he is a tactical genius and he isn't without controversy but I think it would be a very bold appointment by the club.

🔝🔝🔝🔝🔝
This

Hibzbollah
01-06-2016, 08:40 PM
I'd have him in a shot. I was very sceptical of his abilities as a manager when he first took over at Celtic, but he prove everyone wrong. He knows the Scottish game and he would provide us with the steel that's clearly lacking at the moment. All we want is promotion. I think Lennon is tried and tested and can deliver this.

brianmc
01-06-2016, 08:41 PM
I'm told that Lenny DID speak to Hibs today.
Sadly I'm none the wiser who intimated the contact our what the outcome was.
However I'd speculate that he must have been interested or there'd have been no point in conducting talks.
He must have had a fair idea what money was likely to be on offer, he is well aware of what league we're in, what players we have etc etc - all the kind of stuff a manager unfamiliar with the Scottish game would be likely to need to discuss. So I'd speculate that this might very well be a goer.

*Though personally I'll not be having a wager on it unless I hear anything more concrete from my 'source' 😃

FifeHibs
01-06-2016, 08:46 PM
Lennon comes across as a well spoken, bright individual. Some of the nonsense he has been through are ridiculous.

Jambos jumping over boards to get at him, folk sending bullets, murials of him hanging

Got allot more respect when he came out about the depression and support of the illness he had suffered.

I'd rather have him than Yogi, Steve Evans, McCall etc

northstandhibby
01-06-2016, 08:49 PM
If he does get the opportunity to manage this wonderful club I hope everyone rallies behind him and the club and gives him a fair shot to show whether he is capable or not which of course the Hibernian fans will.

I've personally got mixed feelings whether he is the right choice or not but I admit to being excited at the prospect of him being at ER.

Glory Glory

Smartie
01-06-2016, 08:51 PM
Too much sectarian baggage - whether it be his fault or not

Totally disagree with this tbh.

I've never heard of him indulging in any sectarian stuff.

The fact that he has been a repeat victim of totally unacceptable conduct from morons should not put us off approaching him in any way.

Cocaine&Caviar
01-06-2016, 08:54 PM
Why would it mean that? Did we release one with a St George flag when we got Stubbs?

It was a joke ya fud.

And im pretty sure Stubbs didnt have a St Georges flag jacket during his time at Everton, whereas Lennon did at Celtic, and it was horrid.

BoomtownHibees
01-06-2016, 08:55 PM
It was a joke ya fud.

Ah right. Sorry, forgot to laugh.

Fandan

Hibernia&Alba
01-06-2016, 08:56 PM
I'm surprised he wants to manage in Scotland again, after last time. It isn't just himself he needs to think about, he has a family to consider. The publicity/circus that surrounds him could potentially distract from the promotion aim.

Elephant Stone
01-06-2016, 09:00 PM
Is he good enough in the cups to satisfy the taste for silver wear which I assume other people also have?

Cocaine&Caviar
01-06-2016, 09:04 PM
Ah right. Sorry, forgot to laugh.

Fandan

Apology accepted.

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-06-2016, 09:05 PM
He did not at all bad with the lesser greens so perhaps he should have a go with the real ones. FWIW his choice of clubs with Bolton was brave but in hindsight the wrong decision given the total mess that they are in.

Spike Mandela
01-06-2016, 09:07 PM
Possibly the character in Scottish football I have disliked the most over the years. Would find it very difficult to 'feel the love' if this appointment happened.

Hope it doesn't.

SaulGoodman
01-06-2016, 09:08 PM
It was a joke ya fud.

And im pretty sure Stubbs didnt have a St Georges flag jacket during his time at Everton, whereas Lennon did at Celtic, and it was horrid.

Classy

itslegaltender
01-06-2016, 09:09 PM
Would take him in a minute. Has a steel to him that this football club needs, time for us to win and win dirty if required. We need to bully this league this season coming up. I want a team of snarling fighters out there. Lennon will bring us that.

#FromTheCapital
01-06-2016, 09:10 PM
Possibly the character in Scottish football I have disliked the most over the years. Would find it very difficult to 'feel the love' if this appointment happened.

Hope it doesn't.

Not been his biggest fan either. But there's no denying that he's a decent manager - and as we head in to our third consecutive season in the Scottish championship, that's all I really care about.

Can't see it happening regardless.

147lothian
01-06-2016, 09:16 PM
Lennon comes across as a well spoken, bright individual. Some of the nonsense he has been through are ridiculous.

Jambos jumping over boards to get at him, folk sending bullets, murials of him hanging

Got allot more respect when he came out about the depression and support of the illness he had suffered.

I'd rather have him than Yogi, Steve Evans, McCall etc

Good point, and obviously from a football point of view this would be as good an appointment as we can hope to get while in the second tier of Scottish football. I wonder how many of the people who think Neil Lennon is not a nice person are tabloid newspaper readers? Most IMO

Sir David Gray
01-06-2016, 09:18 PM
Nah no thanks.

I really hope we go nowhere near him.

Logie
01-06-2016, 09:21 PM
I'm the same I would not feel that amazing if Lennon was announced. There's no denying he built a cracking Celtic team and all that but he's kinda Mr Celtic and fair play for that. That doesn't appeal to me for Hibs though and would rather look elsewhere. He has baggage all the stuff in the past death threats, bullets and so on........ Hassel.

Bostonhibby
01-06-2016, 09:22 PM
I've no idea if he will be manager or not but I think he knows how to get a team playing and he is very likely to be the right guy to get us up, despite recent experiences at Bolton Lennon is a winner.

I used to buy into all the bad press that he got but if you look at where that comes from, as another poster has said it does appear to me he looks more sinned against than sinned. When you consider that he incurs all the stick based on what he does / says around the football field or on football matters I guess it goes with the territory but some of the hate that has come his way personally is just OTT whatever your view of him as a former player and manager.

Which brings me to something related I posted a while ago on some other thread.

I met Lennon through a mutual friend in a bar in Glasgow around the time when he had received the bullet threat, he was a quiet spoken, friendly thoughtful guy, well thought of by my friend and others in the local area.

When talking, the subject inevitably came to Hibs - I was a bit taken aback that he spoke at length about us, and had much better knowledge than I would have expected, he then volunteered a few funny stories about his time and friendship with Martin O'Neill. When he and what looked like a bodyguard left together my friend said Neil had been through the mill but didn't seem to let it affect his actual life.

If he ends up at Hibs I suspect he will get us up and move on. I'd take that as further evidence of progress on top of this years cup runs and win and next years as well.

davym7062
01-06-2016, 09:32 PM
Id take him in a heartbeat! Hated by everyone unless he plays for ur club, the mans a born winner.

Fife-Hibee
01-06-2016, 09:44 PM
Id take him in a heartbeat! Hated by everyone unless he plays for ur club, the mans a born winner.

Totally agree, hope it happens GGTTH

FromTheCapital
01-06-2016, 09:45 PM
Would be an excellent appointment, in my opinion.

Neilbooks
01-06-2016, 09:50 PM
I'd take Neil Lennon in a heartbeat. Absolute statement of intent from Hibs. If he can instill a bit of steel, added professionalism and a winning mentality into our squad, he's ideal for what we're facing. I don't genuinely care about the baggage around him. I care about Hibs. He's a fighter and a winner. If he gets us up and eventually leaves us a better club than he found us, that's all we can reasonably ask.

FifeHibs
01-06-2016, 09:51 PM
Any appointment won't please everyone but I'd back Lennon 100% and the team he build I'd suspect would give everything as he done as a player.

Players in football have done so much worse than Lennon has ever done on or off the field.

Joey Barton is a thug, cigars out in youth players eyes, beating up people in shops.. Done time in the nick... Horrible man
Lee Bowyer... Beating people up
Roy Keane tried to end the city players careers openly talks about it
Big Dunc... Barlinie for head butting
Ryan Giggs splitting up his family with brothers wife
Eric cantona flying kick into crowd

He was born in a society with religious division, he represented his country of birth but was deemed a marked man for his religious beliefs. ( both pray to same God)

I'm not saying it's right or wrong but in England he was the same type of player and never thought he got the volume of abuse he did when he came North of the border. It was a red top weegie jurno free for all. They protrayed him as a monster to sell papers and it worked.

I don't know him but when he does pundit work he speaks with knowledge and understanding.

Throughout the time of the bullets, the songs, the thugs he never once made a sob story he conducted himself in a respectable manner.

This is only my opinion.

Heedersnvolleys
01-06-2016, 09:52 PM
Nah no thanks.

I really hope we go nowhere near him.

Same here, I really dislike him.

without money as Bolton has shown he is useless!

Gatecrasher
01-06-2016, 09:53 PM
If he's good enough for celtic then he's good enough for us. He does come with some baggage but it would be worth it imo. It's definitely one of the better names bring mentioned.

tamig
01-06-2016, 09:55 PM
Any appointment won't please everyone but I'd back Lennon 100% and the team he build I'd suspect would give everything as he done as a player.

Players in football have done so much worse than Lennon has ever done on or off the field.

Joey Barton is a thug, cigars out in youth players eyes, beating up people in shops.. Done time in the nick... Horrible man
Lee Bowyer... Beating people up
Roy Keane tried to end the city players careers openly talks about it
Big Dunc... Barlinie for head butting
Ryan Giggs splitting up his family with brothers wife
Eric cantona flying kick into crowd

He was born in a society with religious division, he represented his country of birth but was deemed a marked man for his religious beliefs. ( both pray to same God)

I'm not saying it's right or wrong but in England he was the same type of player and never thought he got the volume of abuse he did when he came North of the border. It was a red top weegie jurno free for all. They protrayed him as a monster to sell papers and it worked.

I don't know him but when he does pundit work he speaks with knowledge and understanding.

Throughout the time of the bullets, the songs, the thugs he never once made a sob story he conducted himself in a respectable manner.

This is only my opinion.
I agree Fife. Listen to 5 Live a lot and Lennon comes across as an articulate and insightful individual. Likeable too.

tamig
01-06-2016, 09:56 PM
Same here, I really dislike him.

without money as Bolton has shown he is useless!

There was more turmoil there than just a lack of cash. I'm sure one of our Lancs guys could fill you in with much more detail.

wookie70
01-06-2016, 09:57 PM
Very difficult to gauge his managerial ability. He won the league 3 times but only once when Rangers were in it. His domestic cup record of 2 Scottish Cups is relatively poor for a Celtic manager particularly as The Rangers weren't a factor. His side were brilliant in some European games and hopeless in some domestic ones. He may well have been sacked by Celtic if he hadn't been a successful player previously. He was accused of dull football for quite a spell too. He started very well at Bolton but then completely collapsed. That being said there were lots of mitigating factors.

After Butcher I will never dive in supporting or attacking a manager. It needs careful consideration. He has managed a Celtic team who played teams who sat in and on the whole he worked out how to beat them. He also made some good signings which saw Celtic make considerable money and also showed he could adapt to losing the spine of his team.

If I am honest I wouldn't have a clue on how him managing Hibs would work out. He has a mixed track record for me. What does work highly in his favour is he should have the same draw as Stubbs when it comes to recruitment and retention.

I can't say I would be over the moon given some of his behaviour as Celtic manager but that maybe goes with the job and he was incredibly calm and composed when his life was being targeted by Rangers terrorists.

I'll be happy if he signs if he is the best we can get. Only LD will know that and her track record is very good in appointing managers.

Kato
01-06-2016, 09:57 PM
If he could toughen us up, retain our current progressive play and take on the media, I'd have him.

hibsboy69
01-06-2016, 10:00 PM
Lennon is a bit of a risky appointment because of his off the field antics.

IIRC Bolton suspended him after it was alleged that he threatened his mistress with a knife because she told his wife about their affair. The reason the mistress did that was because he'd started seeing a third woman!!!

Not sure our board would be keen to employ him on that basis........I could be completely wrong in that assertion of course ! :cb

CRAZYHIBBY
01-06-2016, 10:00 PM
We need a manager that will stay more than 2 years

Hibbyradge
01-06-2016, 10:01 PM

Why?

CRAZYHIBBY
01-06-2016, 10:03 PM
Lennon is a bit of a risky appointment because of his off the field antics.

IIRC Bolton suspended him after it was alleged that he threatened his mistress with a knife because she told his wife about their affair. The reason the mistress did that was because he'd started seeing a third woman!!!

Not sure our board would be keen to employ him on that basis........I could be completely wrong in that assertion of course ! :cb

So he's married and still pumping birds. ....barring the knife part i say fair play to him

#FromTheCapital
01-06-2016, 10:04 PM

All we need is a manger that can get us out of this league in one season, Lennon would be a good bet to get the job done.

hibsboy69
01-06-2016, 10:07 PM
So he's married and still pumping birds. ....barring the knife part i say fair play to him

:greengrin

monktonharp
01-06-2016, 10:08 PM
If he was appointed by Hibs, I can see his introduction being............Ladies and Gentlemen, let's give some applause for the new manager of Hibernian fc, no more Mr nice guy Neil Lennon, and that would suffice for me, in a nutshell.

monktonharp
01-06-2016, 10:10 PM
We need a manager that will stay more than 2 yearsname one we've had in the last 10 years, and don't get silly adding months or days:greengrin

steakbake
01-06-2016, 10:18 PM
Don't get this about managers staying for a specific time. Stubbs is only one of the last 4 who have left because someone came knocking on the back of achievement.

wookie70
01-06-2016, 10:18 PM
Just had a look at his win percentage as Celtic manager. Never realised his record was so good. Second only to Martin O'Neill and above Jock Stein and a better overall percentage than Stubbs achieved last year or the year before including all those great cup results. Beginning to warm to the idea

Andy74
01-06-2016, 10:22 PM
He's just been very close the getting the biggest job in the country losing out to a guy who was Liverpool manager. Surprising given he has been there already and the temptation would be to not go back.

He would be a massive appointment for us.

tamig
01-06-2016, 10:25 PM

Get real. This is 2016. Any manager doing a decent job in Scotland - not just here - will be a target for English TV bucks. That's the world we live in now.

JohnM1875
01-06-2016, 10:25 PM
Whilst the source isn't worth a sook, people can't honestly be disappointed if we appoint Lennon surely?!

Name that last manager we appointed as decorated as Lennon?! Multiple trophy's at Celtic and last 16 of the champions league ffs!! Who do folk think we're going to get? I know Van Gaal is out a job, but come on!

Managers usually leave us for the old firm. Appointing a manager who has been so successful at one of them is a coup if you ask me. Of course folk will mention McLeish. But out of those two I know who I'd want!

He had a **** time at Bolton, but, given the circumstances name a manager who wouldn't have?

I'm not going to get excited about this until a more reliable source is found. But if/when it is I'll be chuffed. A bit of a shaft as a player but hearing him speak as a pundit he's actually a likeable guy. Much like Michael Stewart.

makaveli1875
01-06-2016, 10:30 PM
id sooner see lennon as our new manager than someone like mccall or yogi thats for sure

Johnny Clash
01-06-2016, 10:30 PM
" ... he's Neil Lennon's man
... better than Zidane"

I think signing Neil Lennon would be a major coup for Hibs. He'd build more of a winning mentality that would instil in players the necessity to win every single game. Hope this happens

Michael
01-06-2016, 10:31 PM
He's an unproven manager, but would be less risky than a complete unknown. Also, it would only be his third job so he should still have the appetite for management.

However, he's such a 'big name' I hope that other candidates are not overlooked as a result (if he is really interested in the job).

Jim44
01-06-2016, 10:31 PM
He's just been very close the getting the biggest job in the country losing out to a guy who was Liverpool manager. Surprising given he has been there already and the temptation would be to not go back.

He would be a massive appointment for us.

I didn't know he was in the frame for the Celtic job. If he could get us out of our rut, I'd overlook his baggage.

Sir David Gray
01-06-2016, 10:35 PM

Not many managers stay at a club for much longer than that these days.

Here's the info on how long each Premiership team's previous manager was in their job for;

Aberdeen - Craig Brown 2 years 3 months
Celtic - Ronny Deila 2 years
Dundee - John Brown 1 year
Hamilton - Alex Neil 1 year 9 months
Hearts - Gary Locke 1 year 3 months
Inverness CT - John Hughes 2 years 5 months
Kilmarnock - Gary Locke 11 months
Motherwell - Ian Baraclough 9 months
Partick Thistle - Jackie McNamara 1 year 9 months
Ross County - Derek Adams 3 years
Sevco - Stuart McCall 3 months
St Johnstone - Steve Lomas 1 year 7 months

If we get more than 2 years out of the next manager, we'll be doing well. Alex McLeish was the last manager who was with us for considerably longer than 2 years and he left us nearly 15 years ago!

Captain Trips
01-06-2016, 10:35 PM
I think a guy like Lennon could be key to holding onto some players. Stubbs will probably fancy taking some players also.

Definitely need a manager whom has some gravitas in order to convince some of our key guys to stay.

Only Coyle or Lennon for me can do this IMO.

cmcd
01-06-2016, 10:41 PM
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

No he didn't leave us for Celtic he was pushed out the door

SJM
01-06-2016, 10:41 PM
All we need is a manger that can get us out of this league in one season, Lennon would be a good bet to get the job done.

Lennon got off to a shocking start with Celtic and was 45 mins away from the sack. He starts bad here it's bye bye promotion. We need someone that can hit the ground running.

Roxyhibee
01-06-2016, 10:42 PM
aye.

let it be.

That was 100% written, sung, arranged, etc by McCartney. Lennon hated it.

Neil Lennon - very much doubt we'll get him but what a fantastic managerial appointment this would be for us. The man has the winners' mentality we have been lacking to get us out of this league and get us at least a firm grip in the SPL the following season..

The Harp Awakes
01-06-2016, 10:47 PM
Wow! I hadn't considered Lennon for one minute, probably because i didn't think he would ever want to come here.

This would be a great coup for the Club if we can pull it off. We're languishing in the 2nd tier of a poor quality Scottish football league and Lennon wouldn’t come here if he didn't think he could get us promoted. It would be a very shrewd move if we could pull it off. He would attract decent players and if he started with Stokes and Hendo that would be fantastic:flag:

.Sean.
01-06-2016, 10:48 PM
Bolton debacle aside, he's a winner.

If he wants to talk Hibs would be silly not to listen. I've never been his biggest fan purely as I have an undying hatred for Celtic but if Lennon gets us out the league then he'll do for me. He's being dismiss purely because he's Neil Lennon and folk don't like him. If we were being linked with someone else who's won leagues and cups as manager of Celtic (with the exception of Delia) we'd probably be dying to sign him up if he was showing the slightest bit of interest.

FWIW off-field he's apparently a very decent guy.

Nicho87
01-06-2016, 10:49 PM
Take him, cant see and hope yogi is not in running. Other than lennon cant see any other exciting or realiatic targets

HibsNibs
01-06-2016, 10:51 PM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/football-boss-neil-lennon-knife-7044229

here's the story mentioned above. did someone say baggage ?

JohnM1875
01-06-2016, 10:53 PM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/football-boss-neil-lennon-knife-7044229

Again, the source of that is as reliable as the OP source about Lennon having an interest.

Captain Trips
01-06-2016, 10:56 PM

Winning things in Scotland Fact. Knowing about the game up here Fact. 2 of the most and only bits of baggage that interest me.

Vault Boy
01-06-2016, 11:00 PM
Honestly I'm not sure why personal matters of this kind should come into football at all.

JohnM1875
01-06-2016, 11:03 PM
Honestly I'm not sure why personal matters of this kind should come into football at all.

100% agree. Whilst it obviously isn't a nice story we've all done things in life we regret. We just haven't had it plastered all over the media!

This does not make Lennon any less capable as a manager!

Unless he doesn't take the Hibs job of course. Then he's Celtic ****. Goes without saying obviously.

Sir David Gray
01-06-2016, 11:10 PM
Bolton debacle aside, he's a winner.

If he wants to talk Hibs would be silly not to listen. I've never been his biggest fan purely as I have an undying hatred for Celtic but if Lennon gets us out the league then he'll do for me. He's being dismiss purely because he's Neil Lennon and folk don't like him. If we were being linked with someone else who's won leagues and cups as manager of Celtic (with the exception of Delia) we'd probably be dying to sign him up if he was showing the slightest bit of interest.

FWIW off-field he's apparently a very decent guy.

Apart from Celtic, Bolton's been his only other managerial role so far.

At Celtic he had a massive budget (relatively speaking) to bring in players so I'm not really looking at his Celtic record very closely.

I would rather we looked elsewhere although if he's appointed I will support the decision.

Andy74
01-06-2016, 11:12 PM

At Celtic he had a massive budget (relatively speaking) to bring in players so I'm not really looking at his Celtic record very closely.

I would rather we looked elsewhere although if he's appointed I will support the decision.

He would also have the biggest budget in this league. If he can get us playing to that then job done.

#2 Double Tap
01-06-2016, 11:27 PM
be a :top markssigning.

i love the fact he hates the hearts as much as me

SteveHFC
01-06-2016, 11:31 PM
Would be very happy with this. :aok:

greenginger
01-06-2016, 11:33 PM
Lennon now even money favorite on Skybet.

TheReg!
01-06-2016, 11:40 PM
100% agree. Whilst it obviously isn't a nice story we've all done things in life we regret. We just haven't had it plastered all over the media!

This does not make Lennon any less capable as a manager!

Unless he doesn't take the Hibs job of course. Then he's Celtic ****. Goes without saying obviously.

True:agree:

Nutmegged
01-06-2016, 11:44 PM
That @AgentScotland fellow on Twitter called this yesterday, I was discussing Lennon on here last night after seeing him state he'd be interested

I'd love Lennon, I think it'd be a real statement of intent and he'd get bums on seats

Stanton
02-06-2016, 12:09 AM
On the park he was an absolute bawsack, but I met him once off it and he came across very sound - I'd managed to run out of petrol on a one way street, parked up a hill, and he was the first car that I was blocking. Most people would have quite rightly called me a complete moron, but he pretty much laughed about it...could be because he was worrying I was a hun ready to pagger him, but I really doubt he's as bad as he's made out. And as someone pointed out - Stokes is an absolute fanny. Immortal legend of our club - but a bigoted fanny none the less. Not that I give a toss - just pointing this out!
Where do people get this **** from :rolleyes:
Its absolute garbage

snooky
02-06-2016, 12:27 AM
No he didn't leave us for Celtic he was pushed out the door

My recollection is that Pat wanted to play sweeper as his legs were going but Ned wanted him to play MF.
Stein signed him to play sweeper and that's what he did except for maybe once or twice when he played MF for Celtic.
I may be wrong but that's how I remember it.

Alfred E Newman
02-06-2016, 01:43 AM
My recollection is that Pat wanted to play sweeper as his legs were going but Ned wanted him to play MF.
Stein signed him to play sweeper and that's what he did except for maybe once or twice when he played MF for Celtic.
That is correct.

Phil MaGlass
02-06-2016, 07:02 AM
I voted for McLeish in the poll, but, I never noticed or gave any notice to lennon, would take him no problem, winners mentality and wont take losing easy.:agree:

Colr
02-06-2016, 07:05 AM

Its reasonable to say that its practically impossible not to win something in Scotland with Celtic.

GloryGlory
02-06-2016, 07:07 AM
I voted for McLeish in the poll, but, I never noticed or gave any notice to lennon, would take him no problem, winners mentality and wont take losing easy.:agree:

And will noise up that wee nyaff fae Falkirk big time. :greengrin

Not to mention increase coverage of Hibs in the meeja.

Callum_62
02-06-2016, 07:08 AM
Its reasonable to say that its practically impossible not to win something in Scotland with Celtic.

This is true - but he had them punching way above there weight in Europe

That cant be dismissed

Viva_Palmeiras
02-06-2016, 07:09 AM

Must have something about him qualifying for the last 16 of champs league. Don't follow Celtc too closely to know.

J-C
02-06-2016, 07:34 AM
I voted for Lennon in the poll as he was the only candidate that made me feel excited about becoming our new coach/manager, he knows Scottish football we, seemingly a likeable coach with the players and will instil that bit of steeliness Stubbs just didn't seem to give.

Canon Hannan
02-06-2016, 08:17 AM
Lennon to me would be a fantastic appointment to Hibernian.
My friend met him on a flight from Belfast 5 years ago. He was wearing a Hibs top and Neil approached him with the words ‘I like your team’. He chatted for ages and comes across as a true gent. Loves Hibs and the history.
He has suffered depression Neil and does not hide from the fact. He is strong but has issues like us all.
On the football front, I have shouted at him when he was at Celtic and he managed to avoid bookings like a majician. He was a winner and gave 100%. His contacts are very good and he has international and European experience which could help us win our next Really Big Cup.
I do hope we can agree terms and appoint a superb gent and manager.

LancsHibs
02-06-2016, 08:27 AM
My friend met him on a flight from Belfast 5 years ago. He was wearing a Hibs top and Neil approached him with the words ‘I like your team’. He chatted for ages and comes across as a true gent. Loves Hibs and the history.
He has suffered depression Neil and does not hide from the fact. He is strong but has issues like us all.
On the football front, I have shouted at him when he was at Celtic and he managed to avoid bookings like a majician. He was a winner and gave 100%. His contacts are very good and he has international and European experience which could help us win our next Really Big Cup.

Yes I also believe he would be a good appointment for Hibs and will of course get my 100% support. For those who have described him as bigoted, I think he's been the victim of bigoted abuse not the other way round??

Jim44
02-06-2016, 08:28 AM

Not being critical, but intrigued to know why you change the default font style in your post ........ i like it by the way.

Canon Hannan
02-06-2016, 08:30 AM
Not being critical, but intrigued to know why you change the default font style in your post ........ i like it by the way.

Thanks Jim - because my technical abilities are not great and I cut and paste from Word hahahahah.

SeanWilson
02-06-2016, 08:31 AM
Yes I also believe he would be a good appointment for Hibs and will of course get my 100% support. For those who have described him as bigoted, I think he's been the victim of bigoted abuse not the other way round??

he's guilty of growing up a catholic in NI... what a crime, eh? You'd think in 2016 we'd be able to discuss things other than sectarian nonsense.

Spike Mandela
02-06-2016, 08:50 AM

The sectarian abuse he suffers is absolutely no fault of his own but in the ****ty goldfish bowl of Scottish football it follows him around like a bad smell.

My concern if he comes to Hibs is that it becomes the focus of media attention on our club and hardens attitudes in the support that we have fought long and hard to eradicate.

Colr
02-06-2016, 08:52 AM
The sectarian abuse he suffers is absolutely no fault of his own but in the ****ty goldfish bowl of Scottish football it follows him around like a bad smell.

My concern if he comes to Hibs is that it becomes the focus of media attention on our club and hardens attitudes in the support that we have fought long and hard to eradicate.

Although what might attract him to Hibs is that we are not a sectarian club.

LancsHibs
02-06-2016, 08:56 AM

He was at Celtic as a player & manager. Can't get much more bigoted than them! (Apart from the obvious😉)

Jay
02-06-2016, 08:57 AM

And there's a fair chance we won't play either of the ugly sisters. I'm surprised he'd even come back to Scottish football after the abuse his family got. Maybe a good sized club outwith the spfl is a good option for him?

Colr
02-06-2016, 08:58 AM
He was at Celtic as a player & manager. Can't get much more bigoted than them! (Apart from the obvious)

And was sick of the sectarian crap by all accounts so he would be more attracted to us.

Smartie
02-06-2016, 09:05 AM

I'd like to see a hardening of the attitude that sectarianism of ANY sort is totally unacceptable and will not be tolerated and that players and managers should selected on ability alone with no thought given to their religion, where they grew up, which school they went or which foot they kick with etc.

We're above being dragged back into all that crap and should lead the fight against it from the front. We'd have a job on our hands with the imbeciles in the Glaswegian gutter press but we mustn't be swayed by them.

And I would say exactly the same if we were talking about a manager with Rangers/ protestant leanings (Ivan Sproule anyone?)

LancsHibs
02-06-2016, 09:06 AM
And was sick of the sectarian crap by all accounts so he would be more attracted to us.

Fair point

jockodile
02-06-2016, 09:07 AM
Would be a ambitious move from Hibs. Good track record and knowledge of the Scottish game and plenty contacts.

Lennon was a player you loved to hate when on another team. He was Celtic to the core and the image I always have of him is going to the away fans to show solidarity after an Old Firm defeat at Ibrox and the bluenose media going bananas

I never thought the persistent booing he suffered was all religious inspired, it was part of his style of play.

Would be well worth a look, off the field is a decent chap. Sometimes would go to the quiz nights in Glasgows west end when I lived over there, though I always wondered if he would be better off living in east or north of Scotland.

eastmainsmsh
02-06-2016, 09:07 AM
Could see Hibs as a platform to get back up the ladder

LancsHibs
02-06-2016, 09:09 AM
I'd like to see a hardening of the attitude that sectarianism of ANY sort is totally unacceptable and will not be tolerated and that players and managers should selected on ability alone with no thought given to their religion, where they grew up, which school they went or which foot they kick with etc.

We're above being dragged back into all that crap and should lead the fight against it from the front. We'd have a job on our hands with the imbeciles in the Glaswegian gutter press but we mustn't be swayed by them.

And I would say exactly the same if we were talking about a manager with Rangers/ protestant leanings (Ivan Sproule anyone?)

Maybe we should appoint a joint management team of Lennon and McCoist. That should send out the right message😄

cmcd
02-06-2016, 09:09 AM

You are correct but Turnbull wanted rid of him .Stanton did NOT want to leave