PDA

View Full Version : Lennon ready to talk....

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Sproule Three
02-06-2016, 09:10 AM
Lennon would motivate the players. They would certainly have more dig about them which is something we've lacked hence we struggle against battling teams.

Wasn't that precisely what people said about Big Tel Butcher-;(
Worked well didn't it ?

Fisherrow Harp
02-06-2016, 09:12 AM
he's guilty of growing up a catholic in NI... what a crime, eh? You'd think in 2016 we'd be able to discuss things other than sectarian nonsense.

Spot on.

cabbageandribs1875
02-06-2016, 09:13 AM
Maybe we should appoint a joint management team of Lennon and McCoist. That should send out the right message

sally is far too busy doing daft tv adverts for a betting firm

jacomo
02-06-2016, 09:24 AM
Maybe we should appoint a joint management team of Lennon and McCoist. That should send out the right message😄

The dream team! They could share Stubbsy's old flat in Porty and do regular video diaries about two pals living and working together, healing divisions.

Beautiful stuff!

SJM
02-06-2016, 09:27 AM
Could see Hibs as a platform to get back up the ladder

Cue abuse off some of our support in a year or two regardless.

snooky
02-06-2016, 09:38 AM
To be fair, you don't have to be a brilliant manager to do well with the budgets that are/were available to the OF.
Neil Lennon? No thank you.

northstandhibby
02-06-2016, 09:45 AM
And was sick of the sectarian crap by all accounts so he would be more attracted to us.

Yes, very proud that Hibernian are a club that openly welcomes people of all faiths and backgrounds which is in direct contrast to the Huns who are stuck in the stone ages.

Btw did you note Ryan Giggs is reported as leaving Man U? Intriguing yes? Have to feed him some anti-testosterone if this hollywood like star came to ER?

Glory Glory

Ozyhibby
02-06-2016, 10:00 AM
To be fair, you don't have to be a brilliant manager to do well with the budgets that are/were available to the OF.

You need to be pretty decent to beat Barca though and reach the last 16 of the champions league.
Our budget will be the highest in the league next season so he just needs to do what he done at Celtic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdships
02-06-2016, 10:02 AM

:agree:
More than a grain of truth in your post !!
look at the names of OF managers and see how many went on to " greater things " - not many really :rolleyes:
Not for me thankyou !!

Big L
02-06-2016, 10:20 AM
If Lennon was lucky enough to get the Hibs job he would think he had won a watch. He's not going to get a decent job down south anytime soon and this is the biggest job in Scotland available to him! The chance that he could win a trophy in his first season would go a long way to redeeming a rep that at the moment is seriously tarnished.

02-06-2016, 10:22 AM
Couldn't give a **** about the sectarian element. We as a club have long moved on from all that crap that is still exists over in the West. I don't care what someones religion etc is, if they can do a good job as a football manager then thats good enough for me.

The OF live in the dark ages with all the religious hatred and its poisoned Scottish football for a long time. I'm proud our support has matured past all that pish and we can positively support our team without bigoted songs etc. Thats why i resent Celtics "little cousins" remark. We of course share a similar history but unlike them we have long cut out bigotry from our club and thats the way I want us to stay.

Delboy4
02-06-2016, 11:37 AM
Would love Lennon as manager and who knows, he might bring Stan Petrov as his assistant ?! Now that would be a match in heaven...c'mon Hibs you know it makes sense

:aok: :flag:

CockneyRebel
02-06-2016, 11:51 AM
I don't want that wee prick anywhere near my club.

You're just a jealous guy

Colr
02-06-2016, 12:01 PM
Help!!

Toldo123
02-06-2016, 12:03 PM
now 1/4 with betvictor

E10 Rifle
02-06-2016, 12:04 PM
Cue abuse off some of our support in a year or two regardless.

Why wait that long, if he gets appointed I'm taking a squad down to EM to boo the first warm up - just to get him into the swing of things to come :wink:

Jim44
02-06-2016, 12:04 PM

That was a different Lennon.

O - no!:greengrin

oldbutdim
02-06-2016, 12:05 PM
That was a different Lennon.

A lie told often enough becomes the truth.

Bad Martini
02-06-2016, 12:33 PM
Hmm, much being said about how old firm managers are pretty much set up to succeed regardless. I hate the old firm. To a degree, I agree with that point BUT, didn't work for RD last season now did it?

Is the rest of the league getting better or is he just *****? Did celtic suddenly become really ***** for no reason?

I reckon Lennon could do a job for us. Hes always been a wee nyaff but, if you have said nyaff on your team, it becomes a different situation.

Incidentally, I have seen him on the tellybox a few times (fairly recently) and he's mostly spouted a fair bit of sense. Often complimentary about us too.

I'll take anyone who gets us promoted. Even if we onl have said manager for one or two seasons. Get the **** out this league. Pronto. The rest will fall into place...

ALF TUPPER
02-06-2016, 12:35 PM
now 1/4 with betvictor

What album is that off ? :greengrin

lochhibs
02-06-2016, 12:40 PM
he's agreed a budget and terms being finalised. personally i dont want him anywhere near our club.

Heedersnvolleys
02-06-2016, 12:45 PM

And was it not one of the reasons that Celtic and Lennon parted company that his budget was going to reduce and he did not fancy that too much?
i just have a feeling that he left them just before he got found out????

GloryGlory
02-06-2016, 12:45 PM
he's agreed a budget and terms being finalised. personally i dont want him anywhere near our club.

OK, I'll bite - source?

Cabbage East
02-06-2016, 12:47 PM

What are you basing that on?

Diclonius
02-06-2016, 12:49 PM
To be honest I think getting a deal done quickly is just as important as getting the right manager in. If it's Lennon, fine - let's get ready for the coming season.

sambajustice
02-06-2016, 01:00 PM
Stubbs before Hibs vs Lennon before Hibs...

A youth team coach at a mediocre English team, with no management experience who played for an ok celtic side and had an ok career.

Vs

Someone who has coached youth team at celtic ( and Nottingham Forest I think), managed celtic to titles, champions league management experience. Playing career wise played in a euro final and probably the best celtic team since the 70s...

Now, if you were going to pick one of those managers, what one would you pick?

Nutmegged
02-06-2016, 01:11 PM
Ladbrokes have stopped taking money on Lennon getting the job.

mentalhibee
02-06-2016, 01:12 PM

A youth team coach at a mediocre English team, with no management experience who played for an ok celtic side and had an ok career.

Vs

Someone who has coached youth team at celtic ( and Nottingham Forest I think), managed celtic to titles, champions league management experience. Playing career wise played in a euro final and probably the best celtic team since the 70s...

Hope Lennon gets the job!

Joe Baker2
02-06-2016, 01:15 PM
Past caring about people's character.

Would he get us promoted?

Is Stokes a lovely guy?!

Spot on, mate!

The_Horde
02-06-2016, 01:16 PM

Vs

:hilarious

Doing Stubbs a massive disservice to prove a point but aye, sound.

If we appoint Neal Lemon (old pro evo joke there) i'm happy to support Dempster. But I don't want him here.

leggeto
02-06-2016, 01:18 PM
I'd take him,can be a wee fud but I'd still take him

jacomo
02-06-2016, 01:19 PM
Ladbrokes have stopped taking money on Lennon getting the job.

This is crazy.

If this really is about to happen, we should all be pleased because this is a high calibre appointment for us, no mistake about it.

Neil Lennon is a wealthy man. If he's willing to come here it's because he wants to work and feels he has a point to prove. I think the players will respond well.

He's got a bad reputation in some quarters but let's cut through the tabloid nonsense... those who know him speak highly of him.

Peevemor
02-06-2016, 01:20 PM
This is crazy.

If this really is about to happen, we should all be pleased because this is a high calibre appointment for us, no mistake about it.

Neil Lennon is a wealthy man. If he's willing to come here it's because he wants to work and feels he has a point to prove. I think the players will respond well.

He's got a bad reputation in some quarters but let's cut through the tabloid nonsense... those who know him speak highly of him.

:agree:

Deek01
02-06-2016, 01:22 PM
Can still get 4/7 on Lennon getting the job on skybet

Neilbooks
This is crazy.

:top marks

Brightside
Id have thought Lennon would be looking for the kid of wages we couldn't provide. Very surprised if he signs on the dotted line.

Jim44
02-06-2016, 01:23 PM
Lennon's share of the vote on the poll thread is going along nicely. Has this thread turned a few heads?

Nutmegged
02-06-2016, 01:27 PM
This is crazy.

Completely agree, here is a guy who is a natural born winner, he'll instill that in this squad in my opinion, in the recent past he's managed his team to titles, cups and qualification into the Champions League where they bested Barcelona and also qualified for the latter stages of the competition.

I also feel that Hibs would be every bit as good for Lennon as he could be for us, I feel at this stage we could be a perfrct fit for him, we have an opportunity to actually achieve something as soon as possible, he also has the name value to get players to Hibs, he knows our game inside out and I believe he'd thrive under the pressure of expectation our fans have.

Hibbyradge
02-06-2016, 01:28 PM
I doubt Hibs have made any decision yet. They're "expecting applications from high calibre candidates."

If they have spoken to Lennon, I can't imagine they'll be very impressed that it has hit the papers.

That's most definitely not the Hibernian way.

Good odds are available on other candidates because of it though...

Scorrie
02-06-2016, 01:33 PM
This is crazy.

Spot on

snedzuk
02-06-2016, 01:33 PM
Last year during the Scott Allan saga there was an official release from er entitled 'statement of intent' - if Hibs get Neil Lennon then that to my mind is a much bigger one and would show nerve and ambition. A cup win plus that appointment surely = more bums on season ticket seats.

PercyHibs
02-06-2016, 01:38 PM
This is crazy.

My thoughts exactly, done great at Celtic. Hope everyone gives him a fair chance. Interested to know why some people "dont want him near the place"?

JohnMcM
02-06-2016, 01:40 PM
Just a thought,,,,,,,, if Neil Lennon does get it, and Stokes and Liam were by some chance around for another season. Can you think of any reason why they might not want to play for him.

Only musing a wee bit:confused:

SeanWilson
02-06-2016, 01:48 PM
Just a thought,,,,,,,, if Neil Lennon does get it, and Stokes and Liam were by some chance around for another season. Can you think of any reason why they might not want to play for him.

stokes was one of his main players, hendo too young.

Nutmegged
02-06-2016, 01:54 PM

He gave Henderson his debut at Celtic and kept him in the team for the run in, I'm sure he scored in the game they finally clinched the Title that year

Jim44
02-06-2016, 01:57 PM

I can't find the link but somebody said on this board today that if Lennon got the job we wouldn't get Stokes or Henderson on a second loan. What's the problem?

KeithTheHibby
02-06-2016, 01:58 PM
I doubt Hibs have made any decision yet. They're "expecting applications from high calibre candidates."

If they have spoken to Lennon, I can't imagine they'll be very impressed that it has hit the papers.

That's most definitely not the Hibernian way.

Good odds are available on other candidates because of it though...

Chances are that statement would have been prepared yesterday so already old news. A day is a long time in football.

Onceinawhile
02-06-2016, 01:58 PM
Would be surprised to see it happen, but who knows.

Definitely a statement appointment if so

SeanWilson
02-06-2016, 01:59 PM
He gave Henderson his debut at Celtic and kept him in the team for the run in, I'm sure he scored in the game they finally clinched the Title that year
Apologies, i wasn't aware of that.

I can't find the link but somebody said on this board today that if Lennon got the job we wouldn't get Stokes or Henderson on a second loan. What's the problem?
Likely pish, Stokes and Lennon seemed to have an absolutely superb relationship and its not like he has fallen out with Celtic if he just made top 3 on the new manager shortlist, losing to the X Liverpool manager...

calmacuk
02-06-2016, 02:00 PM

Saw this image on Twitter earlier today:

Hibbyradge
02-06-2016, 02:01 PM
Chances are that statement would have been prepared yesterday so already old news. A day is a long time in football.

The Lennon story was in the press yesterday.

JimBHibees
02-06-2016, 02:02 PM
Id have thought Lennon would be looking for the kid of wages we couldn't provide. Very surprised if he signs on the dotted line.

Could be right sometimes managers or more likely their agents put it out that their client is interested in another job they maybe wouldnt take just to flush out interest in more attractive jobs to them.

HibsNutter
If he is appointed we'll win the league at a canter next year, I have no doubt.

greenpaper55
He failed big time when the money ran out and had to do some thinking, if Stubbs left for lots more cash with Rotherham then you would think he would want to manage at least at that level, he aint gonna get a big wage at ER.

Onion
02-06-2016, 02:05 PM
Last year during the Scott Allan saga there was an official release from er entitled 'statement of intent' - if Hibs get Neil Lennon then that to my mind is a much bigger one and would show nerve and ambition. A cup win plus that appointment surely = more bums on season ticket seats.

Agree with that. Lennon might be a wingeing wee get at times but he did a vg job at Celtic, managing at the highest level in Europe. IMO he's a step up from Stubbs and will definitely persuade some doubting Hibs players to re-sign and other to come to ER.

CallumLaidlaw
02-06-2016, 02:05 PM
I wonder what odds you could get on Brendan Rodgers when Roy Keane was odd on for the Celtic job? :agree:

SeanWilson
02-06-2016, 02:06 PM
He failed big time when the money ran out and had to do some thinking, if Stubbs left for lots more cash with Rotherham then you would think he would want to manage at least at that level, he aint gonna get a big wage at ER.

had stubbs won us the league and cup, he'd be at a team trying to win the championship, not a team likely to be relegated. Its a no brainer for Lennon if he's willing to take our wages.... expect to win every week, highest budget in a league we should run away with and see what his options are next year? Win win for both parties. He's not likely to get a better chance of a decent year in football than hibs.

Smartie
02-06-2016, 02:10 PM
No manager is going to come to us for the money.

Unfortunately we need to be a stepping stone to bigger things or a way for someone to get back into the game again.

Doesn't mean we can't still get someone very good but we need to offer them more than cold, hard cash.

calumhibee1
02-06-2016, 02:15 PM
Agree with that. Lennon might be a wingeing wee get at times but he did a vg job at Celtic, managing at the highest level in Europe. IMO he's a step up from Stubbs and will definitely persuade some doubting Hibs players to re-sign and other to come to ER.

Yup. Lennon could attract some very exciting players IMO.

staunchhibby
02-06-2016, 02:16 PM
Looks like its almost done deal for Lennon.

JohnMcM
02-06-2016, 02:16 PM

No problem. Simply thinking things through in my own "filled with hope for promotion little head".

HibbySpurs
02-06-2016, 02:17 PM
This is crazy.

This 100% 👍👏👏

Billy Whizz
02-06-2016, 02:19 PM
Looks like its almost done deal for Lennon.

How do you know

Dashing Bob S
02-06-2016, 02:21 PM
How do you know

I think it's a consensus amongst those in the know that it's pretty much a done deal.

staunchhibby
02-06-2016, 02:22 PM
Would not disclose source.But he has connections.If wrong will post apology.

HibbySpurs
02-06-2016, 02:24 PM
Would not disclose source.But he has connections.If wrong will post apology.

Fair dues. Hope you're right tbh.

Hibbyradge
02-06-2016, 02:24 PM
I think it's a consensus amongst those in the know that it's pretty much a done deal.

:hilarious

Craig_in_Prague
02-06-2016, 02:25 PM
Who is Lennon's usual assistant? Or at least who did he have at Bolton?

Just curious.

PercyHibs
02-06-2016, 02:26 PM
I'd definitely take Lennon. Can't be criticised for winning the league with Celtic just because he was expected to. He punched about his weight in the Champions league on a much smaller budget than some clubs of the other clubs in the competition.

Hibbyradge
02-06-2016, 02:28 PM
I think the story was deliberately made up by the Sun to f...mess with Hibs supporters' minds as an act of revenge for our antipathy towards the rag.

Their hacks will be pissing themselves laughing at this thread.

Pat 0-7
02-06-2016, 02:29 PM
I see Lennon is part of the BBC Euro 2016 pundit team, I hope that wouldn't interfere with his pre season preparations?

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Hibbyradge
02-06-2016, 02:30 PM
I see Lennon is part of the BBC Euro 2016 pundit team, I hope that wouldn't interfere with his pre season preparations?

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

He'll probably get as much from that gig as he would per year at Hibs.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
02-06-2016, 02:31 PM

Just curious.

Johan Mijalby

jacomo
02-06-2016, 02:34 PM
How do you know

My guess it's coming from the Private Members Board.

How accurate that is, time will tell!

Scorrie
02-06-2016, 02:35 PM

Just curious.

He used to work with Alan Thompson and John Robertson ( the other one!!) but then worked with Garry Parker and Steve Walford. also promoted John Kennedy and even brought in Jim McGuinness from Donegal Gaelic football team as well so plenty to choose from. Parker and Walford were at Bolton with him I think

LustForLeith
02-06-2016, 02:36 PM
He used to work with Alan Thompson and John Robertson ( the other one!!) but also promoted John Kennedy and even brought in Jim McGuinness from Donegal Gaelic football team as well so plenty to choose from

is John Kennedy still at Celtic? I heard he was highly rated by a lot of people. Did Lennon not fall out with Thompson and they partied company?

Scorrie
02-06-2016, 02:38 PM
is John Kennedy still at Celtic? I heard he was highly rated by a lot of people. Did Lennon not fall out with Thompson and they partied company?

He did. Thomson got the sack a few years back. Garry Parker and Steve Walford his assistants latterly at Bolton. Not sure where Kennedy is.

oldbutdim
02-06-2016, 02:38 PM

It was excessive partying that caused the rift.

No chance of them working together again I'd think.

Big Johann may be in with a shout - if the budget permits, wherever Lennon ends up.............

Sammy7nil
02-06-2016, 02:40 PM
Hated him as a player nasty wee man who would kick his granny given the chance he played nearly no football a total spoiler who let others around him play. His record as a manager is mixed to say the least. His cup record with Celtic was very poor and when he had no money he struggled. I dont want him as a Hibs manager and would be very surprised if he wanted the job. Having said that if he got the job i would give him the backing any Hibs manager deserves. He speaks very well i am sure he would get nearly all the support onside very quickly.

jacomo
02-06-2016, 02:40 PM
I think the story was deliberately made up by the Sun to ****** with Hibs supporters' minds as an act of revenge for our antipathy towards the rag.

You might be right.

If it's nothing, it's nothing.

Fisherrow Harp
02-06-2016, 02:51 PM
Spot on
Aye anyone who I know that actually knows the guy says he is an absolute gent. I think many mangers/players ect have an on screen persona. I think, as previously said, his only "crime"(in the eyes of certain fans of certain clubs) is where he was born and what faith he was born into. Nothing to do with football and certainly nothing to do with Hibernian as a non sectarian forward looking club.

MWHIBBIES
02-06-2016, 03:04 PM
Aye anyone who I know that actually knows the guy says he is an absolute gent. I think many mangers/players ect have an on screen persona. I think, as previously said, his only "crime"(in the eyes of certain fans of certain clubs) is where he was born and what faith he was born into. Nothing to do with football and certainly nothing to do with Hibernian as a non sectarianforward looking club.
That is absolutely not true, Lennon was disgusting in the press in his first year in charge of Celtic and that is why he got abuse from pretty much every club in Scotland.

SeanWilson
02-06-2016, 03:06 PM
That is absolutely not true, Lennon was disgusting in the press in his first year in charge of Celtic and that is why he got abuse from pretty much every club in Scotland.

he was disgusting in the press cause you aren't a celtic fan. They loved the guy.

Iggy Pope
02-06-2016, 03:08 PM

Dirty pictures? Language? Habits? Pooh? What did he ever do or say that disgusted you, you sensitive soul?

lyonhibs
02-06-2016, 03:21 PM

Hahahaha "disgusting" aye?? Do elaborate.

He was probably biased, blinkered and hugely irritating for sure, but I doubt disgusting is an appropriate word to use.

Mikey09
02-06-2016, 03:25 PM
Wow. I'm speechless at folk turning their nose up at this possible appointment. "Disgusting" "Vile" "Toxic" all used to describe a guy who is a very good manager and let's be honest, a winner! I thought it was all about getting Hibs promoted but seems it's more of a popularity contest! If Lennnon is appointed it will be a huge piece put in place for our title challenge. We need to be promoted and this guy has the knowledge and desire to do it. He would be my first choice every time.

EH54
02-06-2016, 03:27 PM
Have never liked Lennon but he would get my full backing and I'm quite excited at the prospect of him being our manager

WhileTheChief..
02-06-2016, 03:28 PM
He goes off to France on Wednesday next week with the BBC. I reckon we'll announce him as the new manager tomorrow :)

calumhibee1
02-06-2016, 03:33 PM
He goes off to France on Wednesday next week with the BBC. I reckon we'll announce him as the new manager tomorrow :)

Unless he's coming back with some players for us then he better not be going if he gets the gig.

jacomo
02-06-2016, 03:40 PM
Unless he's coming back with some players for us then he better not be going if he gets the gig.

It's alright, the players are on holiday and he'll be able to tell all the BBC viewers about the glorious, riotous Hibees.

MWHIBBIES
02-06-2016, 03:41 PM
Hahahaha "disgusting" aye?? Do elaborate.

He was probably biased, blinkered and hugely irritating for sure, but I doubt disgusting is an appropriate word to use.
His hounding of the referee and linesman after the Dundee United penalty incident was a disgrace, everyone thought so at the time, hibs.net included.

Mathias Jack
02-06-2016, 03:41 PM
Any of the reliable posters on here, Scoopy Boy etc, shed any light as to whether these discussions with Lennon have taken place or not?

Iggy Pope
02-06-2016, 03:44 PM
Any of the reliable posters on here, Scoopy Boy etc, shed any light if these discussions with Lennon have taken place?

I would like to think that there is no one posting on here that has the remotest scooby of any discussions taking place.

FifeHibs
If Neil Lennon was born 50 miles South of where he was born and was Southern Irish 80% of the journalists ( used loosely) would not have a story to sell regarding him. Born in Northern Ireland and brought up as a catholic seen as the "wrong religion" has allowed the Glasgow media to work up a storm in their Dark ages mentality.

Lets not forget there have been far dirtier players in Scottish football. Ferguson head butt, Neil Simpson, Terry Hurrlock, Graeme Souness, Roy Keane, Ian Ferguson, the whole Airdrie team. Non had the treatment of bullets sent through the post, pictures of you hanging sprayed on walls .

Goram, John brown et al prominent members of Orange walks. Our Tony Stokes is no angel.

the west coast media have allowed the religious divide to sell story's and make profit. I'm sure Bolton weekly never went on and on about being Catholic and Northen Irish.

If he is appointed I'm sure he will have impressed and will do 100% to get Hibs promoted, it won't please everyone as no appointment will.

Let's not get bogged down with the media hype of what has gone on previously and give any new manager a fresh start and judge him or her on the success they bring to Hibernain Football Club.

calumhibee1
It's alright, the players are on holiday and he'll be able to tell all the BBC viewers about the glorious, riotous Hibees.

They'll be due back half way through the tournament!

Iggy Pope
02-06-2016, 03:46 PM
His hounding of the referee and linesman after the Dundee United penalty incident was a disgrace, everyone thought so at the time, hibs.net included.

Don't recall any disgust, communal to Hibs.net or otherwise. And he was right in the end wasn't he?

HibsNutter
02-06-2016, 03:46 PM

In his first year he was a bit of a d*ck, but he matured as a manager and his conduct in recent years has been admirable. Let's move on please.

HibbySpurs
02-06-2016, 03:49 PM
They'll be due back half way through the tournament!

Don't worry so are Northern Ireland

Green&White
02-06-2016, 03:49 PM
Folk need to get over the popularity contest. "We need a good man in charge", "he needs to look good for the media" etc etc. Stuff that. If whoever is appointed gets us promoted and does a decent job, then he can be the biggest, dirtiest, erse wipe the world has ever seen and we shouldnt care. This aint the x factor. As they say 'its a results business'

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Rory
02-06-2016, 03:50 PM
If Lennon gets the gig I hope he gets staff in place to get squad back together when he's in France.

Jim44
02-06-2016, 03:50 PM
Lennon is no shrinking violet and controversy tends to follow him around but if the 'good guys' ( Butcher excepted) can't get us out of this crappy league, why not try something else? :dunno:

Dalianwanda
02-06-2016, 03:55 PM
I think he would be a great appointment although I'm still open to a left field rabbit 😀 If it comes out he's not in the frame, wonder how long it will be before some go mental for us not showing ambition (even if he was never actually in the frame)

northstandhibby
02-06-2016, 03:56 PM
If Neil Lennon was born 50 miles South of where he was born and was Southern Irish 80% of the journalists ( used loosely) would not have a story to sell regarding him. Born in Northern Ireland and brought up as a catholic seen as the "wrong religion" has allowed the Glasgow media to work up a storm in their Dark ages mentality.

Lets not forget there have been far dirtier players in Scottish football. Ferguson head butt, Neil Simpson, Terry Hurrlock, Graeme Souness, Roy Keane, Ian Ferguson, the whole Airdrie team. Non had the treatment of bullets sent through the post, pictures of you hanging sprayed on walls .

Goram, John brown et al prominent members of Orange walks. Our Tony Stokes is no angel.

the west coast media have allowed the religious divide to sell story's and make profit. I'm sure Bolton weekly never went on and on about being Catholic and Northen Irish.

If he is appointed I'm sure he will have impressed and will do 100% to get Hibs promoted, it won't please everyone as no appointment will.

Let's not get bogged down with the media hype of what has gone on previously and give any new manager a fresh start and judge him or her on the success they bring to Hibernain Football Club.

Neil Lennon was as I remember hounded by the huns and some jambos. He seemed to me to be a hard combative player but couldn't really interpret other than that why he seemed to be hated so much by them.

I think you've answered why concisely.

Glory Glory

heretoday
02-06-2016, 04:00 PM
He would be mad to take the job. Does he really want all that tawdry press intrusion and threats on his life again?

He'll get another position in the English leagues when he's done with punditry, which he's pretty good at by the way.

seanoheimhin
02-06-2016, 04:09 PM

Fellow fans are always entitled to their opinion, but I'm actually amazed that such a large minority of our support seems to have bought into the whole 'he brings it on himself' narrative pushed by the zombies and their friends in the press. Of course that lot down gorgie way are going to jump on the bandwagon, but I'd like to think we're above that when you see how we're often treated in the media.

The guy is confrontational and can be a bit abrasive in interviews, but I echo what many posters have said: judge him on what the average person who has met him says - he comes across like an intelligent, passionate, and decent fella. Don't be blinded by the Daily Ranger etc, and should he become manager judge him on his performance for hibs.

It's also worth saying, whether you like him or not he would be a major coup for hibs. Assuming the guy isn't a racist, homophobic ******** (ala Malky Mackay), does it really matter if you find him annoying?

We should be delighted if we get him.

Waxy
02-06-2016, 04:10 PM
Lennon might actually fit Hibs perfectly. As long as he gets on well with everyone at the club and supporters then there'll be no problem. All us pulling in the same direction.

Broken Gnome
02-06-2016, 04:14 PM
Let's not be revisionist. Certain songs about Neil Lennon were given big licks by Hibs during games against Celtic.

It was not just a Rangers thing - can actually remember many would have to insist to Celtic fans that bigotry wasn't the root of all the stick he took.

mjhibby
02-06-2016, 04:16 PM

Neil Lennon was as I remember hounded by the huns and some jambos. He seemed to me to be a hard combative player but couldn't really interpret other than that why he seemed to be hated so much by them.

I think you've answered why concisely.

Glory Glory

I think it's precisely that he was a combatative player and no shrinking Violet as a manager why he riles some of the moronic support of some clubs. I couldn't give a monkey's you know what what fans other clubs think. Only care about him getting us up. No idea if he is in Line for the job or not but would be pleased if he did as the can see him attracting decent players to the club. If it's all hot air then we move on. One things for sure if he does get the gig well be in the limelight a helluva lot more and have a much bigger media interest. Wouldn't be surprised if he got it but would be happy with a n other.

greenlex
02-06-2016, 04:17 PM
Ginger manager hasFalkirk punching able their weight so let's hope our own Ginger God does the same. Mon the Gingers.

Roxyhibee
02-06-2016, 04:19 PM
Jeez, you really have to wonder at the losers mentality of some of our supporters.. We are apparently after the biggest high profile proven manager this club has chased in decades and all we can do is take some inflated morality stance about the type of person this club should or should not employ, based on some historic tabloid stories and personal mistakes the guy allegedly made.

Let's take the romantic Hibby route and gamble on some untried assistant or youth team nobody in charge of our team to play 'the right way' and risk another season or two in the lower leagues as opposed to someone who has great experience in the game and who will shout and fight on our behalf and give our team and club some balls to put us up the top end of the SPL where we belong..

Rasta_Hibs
02-06-2016, 04:21 PM
Ginger manager hasFalkirk punching able their weight so let's hope our own Ginger God does the same. Mon the Gingers.

I concur! Mon the Ginger indeed! Have we ever had a ginger manager before? If not then its surely time now?

That aside Lennon would be a tremendous appointment and one that would excite me in footballing terms. As people have said in thread before a true gent in real life and very intelligent.

A real coup for the Hibees if they can pull it off! A Champions League manager managing The Hibees in the Championship and people are no happy? C'mon get real!

J-C
02-06-2016, 04:21 PM
Wow. I'm speechless at folk turning their nose up at this possible appointment. "Disgusting" "Vile" "Toxic" all used to describe a guy who is a very good manager and let's be honest, a winner! I thought it was all about getting Hibs promoted but seems it's more of a popularity contest! If Lennnon is appointed it will be a huge piece put in place for our title challenge. We need to be promoted and this guy has the knowledge and desire to do it. He would be my first choice every time.

And all used to describe a guy they've probably never met in their puff, the one thing that really pisses me off about this forum is people and their assumptions on people they've never met.

seanoheimhin
02-06-2016, 04:22 PM
Jeez, you really have to wonder at the losers mentality of some of our supporters.. We are apparently after the biggest high profile proven manager this club has chased in decades and all we can do is take some inflated morality stance about the type of person this club should or should not employ, based on some historic tabloid stories and personal mistakes the guy allegedly made.

Let's take the romantic Hibby route and gamble on some untried assistant or youth team nobody in charge of our team to play 'the right way' and risk another season or two in the lower leagues as opposed to someone who has great experience in the game and who will shout and fight on our behalf and give our team and club some balls to put us up the top end of the SPL where we belong..

StevieCowan
02-06-2016, 04:22 PM
He's the man for me.

MWHIBBIES
02-06-2016, 04:25 PM
Don't recall any disgust, communal to Hibs.net or otherwise. And he was right in the end wasn't he?No, he was wrong and kicked up a fuss for the sake of it.

I have no problem with him becoming Hibs manager now but saying he was disliked because of his religion is rubbish. Why wasn't Martin O'Neil hated?

paddy1875
02-06-2016, 04:26 PM
I admired Neil Lennon as a player. He was hard working and done the simple things his team needed done to win games. No great skill or craft but his hard work ethic got his name first on the team sheet for both Celtic and Leicester. A man that done what needed done to win. Popular with teams he played for but not opposition.

If Hibs get him on board, it'll be a great bit of business done. And a manager that won't accept passengers.

northstandhibby
02-06-2016, 04:27 PM
I think it's precisely that he was a combatative player and no shrinking Violet as a manager why he riles some of the moronic support of some clubs. I couldn't give a monkey's you know what what fans other clubs think. Only care about him getting us up. No idea if he is in Line for the job or not but would be pleased if he did as the can see him attracting decent players to the club. If it's all hot air then we move on. One things for sure if he does get the gig well be in the limelight a helluva lot more and have a much bigger media interest. Wouldn't be surprised if he got it but would be happy with a n other.

Totally 100% agree with what you say and I too would be happy with a n other just as i like you would back him if he does become manager which going by a number of posts on here seems highly likely yet I'm still a bit in shock tbh.

Glory Glory

Spike Mandela
02-06-2016, 04:28 PM
Type Neil Lennon into the search facility at top of this page and read the Neil Lennon threads over the years.

The man's a dick.

Canon Hannan
02-06-2016, 04:28 PM
Ginga Ninja is the man!
A true gent demonised by the evil side of sectarian Scotland. Attacked by Hearts and bullets from SEVCO.
He is a warrior and winner.
There is no reason we wouldn't want him surely?
He also has green blood and understands what Hibernian history and football fans expect. The Hibs way! Attacking football. Glory!

Pedantic_Hibee
02-06-2016, 04:32 PM
Type Neil Lennon into the search facility at top of this page and read the Neil Lennon threads over the years.

The man's a dick.

Substitute Neil Lennon for Anthony Stokes and you'll see similar.

Anyone want to criticise Stokes now?

Hermit Crab
02-06-2016, 04:34 PM
Ive said before I'd take him as the new hibs manager however I can't help thinking there's a large group of folk on here that can't wait for him to make **** of it so they can say he's ***** and a dick I told you so....:rolleyes:

SouthMoroccoStu
02-06-2016, 04:34 PM
Substitute Neil Lennon for Anthony Stokes and you'll see similar.

Anyone want to criticise Stokes now?

Should have scored at least 4 in the cup final :greengrin

stantonhibby
02-06-2016, 04:37 PM
I concur! Mon the Ginger indeed! Have we ever had a ginger manager before? If not then its surely time now?

That aside Lennon would be a tremendous appointment and one that would excite me in footballing terms. As people have said in thread before a true gent in real life and very intelligent.

A real coup for the Hibees if they can pull it off! A Champions League manager managing The Hibees in the Championship and people are no happy? C'mon get real!

McLeish was a ginger

lapsedhibee
02-06-2016, 04:38 PM

:tsk tsk: If he had, there'd have been no last-minute winner, Gray wouldn't have been knighted, etcetcetc.

hibs#1

Belter

Hermit Crab
Done deal?? Welcome Neil

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160602/ae486f4887a32d00632cbc6882b40579.jpg

Rasta_Hibs
02-06-2016, 04:40 PM
McLeish was a ginger

Forgot aboot him! He done no bad his hair colour has never held him back! Same with Neil!

BroxburnHibee
02-06-2016, 04:41 PM
Done deal?? Welcome Neil

photoshop???

SeanWilson
02-06-2016, 04:41 PM
Done deal?? Welcome Neil

think hes holding a bit more timber these days :greengrin

Andy74
02-06-2016, 04:42 PM
photoshop???

he's got very long arms

Diclonius
Done deal?? Welcome Neil

Nice try. That's Celtic Park.

LancsHibs
Done deal?? Welcome Neil

Naughty!

SaulGoodman
02-06-2016, 04:44 PM
Done deal?? Welcome Neil

Worlds longest neck award goes to..

greenlex
02-06-2016, 04:44 PM
Done deal?? Welcome Neil

We should call him pea heid.

burtis97
02-06-2016, 04:46 PM
Heard that's it done 12 month rolling contract anyone else heard the same?

DH1875
02-06-2016, 04:46 PM
I honestly can't believe there are folk on here who would be unhappy if he was given the job.

SeanWilson
02-06-2016, 04:47 PM
I honestly can't believe there are folk on here who would be unhappy if he was given the job.

you honestly can't believe that?!?! :greengrin

Pretty Boy
02-06-2016, 04:51 PM

Crazy.

Potentially our highest profile appointment in many years and folk are all hot and bothered about him being a bit of a dirty player or mouthing off in the press when he was Celtic manager.

Then again we could appoint Alex Ferguson and people would moan about us going for a St Mirren reject and not being able to afford as slow a start as he had in his last job.

SeanWilson
02-06-2016, 04:52 PM
Crazy.

Potentially our highest profile appointment in many years and folk are all hot and bothered about him being a bit of a dirty player or mouthing off in the press when he was Celtic manager.

Its a HUGE statement of intent if we pull it off. Cannot wait for the new season already!

edwards
02-06-2016, 04:53 PM
Is this a wind up or what and ps you don't really have to worry about me FFS

Keith_M
02-06-2016, 04:55 PM
So who shaved an Orangutan and made him Hibs Manager?

:duck:

Waxy
02-06-2016, 04:55 PM

Some people have had to put up with nearly two weeks of sky high positivity.They're waiting and ready to pounce on anything.

GreenArmyyy!
02-06-2016, 04:56 PM

This..... absolutely mental the high horse some fans are on here considering some of the managers we've had to deal with in recent years! This would be an incredible piece of business by Hibs if it comes to fruition.

DH1875
02-06-2016, 04:57 PM
Forgot aboot him! He done no bad his hair colour has never held him back! Same with Neil!

How do you forget GJP :greengrin

you honestly can't believe that?!?! :greengrin

Erm.......I think so, I dunno, you've confused me lol :greengrin

Killiehibbie
02-06-2016, 05:04 PM
I honestly can't believe there are folk on here who would be unhappy if he was given the job.But he talks funny and isnae fae Leith. As you know we've got some rockets in our midst.

SeanWilson
02-06-2016, 05:05 PM
How could you forget GJP :greengrin

I think so. Not sure now as you've confused me :greengrin:confused:

I find it completely believable, some folk have real delusions of grandeur (in my opinion NL is an appointment way out there at the top of what we could hope for in any case) and some people seem like they'll just go against the grain for the sake of an argument. Bizarre.

I think its absolutely superb that we're even talking about a Neil Lennon type coming in. He's high profile, will get backed, will want to win at all costs, will be able to keep our best players and attract others. Its a complete winner.

CRAZYHIBBY
02-06-2016, 05:05 PM
Id only accept lennon if i could see and touch his six pack

jacomo
02-06-2016, 05:07 PM
Id accept lennon if i could see and touch his six pack

If you look like your profile pic, I'd say you've got a decent chance.

:wink:

Waxy
02-06-2016, 05:08 PM
Neil Lennon? Hibs Manager? Phenomenal.

Toldo123
02-06-2016, 05:08 PM
Good chance of a couple of loan players from celtic too

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

EH54
02-06-2016, 05:10 PM
Out of curiosity is there anyone with a little more info on this or is it purely based on a Sun article saying he's interested and money being chucked on Lennon at the bookies? I hope it's true mind you just can't see it happening myself

Onion
Understand the strong feelings about Lennon. There's many a time when he was Celtic manager that he came across as entitled, nasty brat. But if anything the last few weeks has proved, is Hibs are bigger than any one man and that we're still on a road to recovery. Stubbs restored some much needed pride to the club, and made ER an enjoyable place after years of punishment for Hibs fans. In the end, he also brought a winner's mentality to the team which delivered the Holy Grail. IMO Lennon would be a major statement of intent and instil an even greater winner's mentality at the club, something most of us have been crying out for years. Hibs have been too soft for too long and will take huge belief to win us promotion next season.

Finn2015

Well we don't agree when it came to Madrid and Barca but your bang on here DH. This would be an incredible coup

Albanian Hibs
02-06-2016, 05:13 PM

Thats actually easter road west stand 😉

Golden Bear
02-06-2016, 05:14 PM
I suppose I could suffer the ginger whinger if his appointment improves our chances of gaining promotion next season.

The Kaiser
02-06-2016, 05:15 PM
I hope this isn't true. Odious cretin of a man.

The_Exile
02-06-2016, 05:17 PM
He's the type of player that I absolutely loved watching, the likes of him, Rino Gattuso, Roy Keane, Edgar Davids, Javier Mascherano, Matty Jack!!! the players that did nothing spectacular skill wise but were the central cog of their team and made the opposition fans livid with their action, that's exactly the type of attitude I'd like to see us adopting going forward. Totally understand it's not everyone's cup of tea but it makes for a great matchday atmosphere when you're led into battle by a proper general, whether that be on the pitch or in the dugout.

Killiehibbie
02-06-2016, 05:19 PM
I hope this isn't true. Odious cretin of a man.Who would get us promoted.

DH1875
02-06-2016, 05:20 PM
But he talks funny and isnae fae Leith. As you know we've got some rockets in our midst.

Only to well my friend, only to well :agree:

oldbutdim
02-06-2016, 05:22 PM
Heard that's it done 12 month rolling contract anyone else heard the same?

I haven't.

Haven't even heard that he's under serious consideration.
:confused:

My_Wife_Camille
It's Easter Road, West Stand

Mr White
The photo above is photoshopped, in the original he's wearing a black and yellow striped tie.

seanoheimhin
I find it completely believable, some folk have real delusions of grandeur (in my opinion NL is an appointment way out there at the top of what we could hope for in any case) and some people seem like they'll just go against the grain for the sake of an argument. Bizarre.

I think its absolutely superb that we're even talking about a Neil Lennon type coming in. He's high profile, will get backed, will want to win at all costs, will be able to keep our best players and attract others. Its a complete winner.

Delusions indeed. If Strachan was interested there'd be moans about his comments that he's not a hibs fan anymore.

Greenwich_Hibby
Not sure where all the adulation for Lennon is coming from. A monkey could win trophies with Celtic and his record with Bolton was awful.

AL-Qaholik
02-06-2016, 05:23 PM
Never liked the guy but would be a huge statement of intent if he's the new man!

Like him or loathe him, I'd definitely take him as manager.

Franck Stanton
02-06-2016, 05:27 PM

Alex McLeish. :wink:

Edit - Sorry guys, hadn't read the thread after this question was asked - and answered. Silly me.

truehibernian
02-06-2016, 05:30 PM
Not sure where all the adulation for Lennon is coming from. A monkey could win trophies with Celtic and his record with Bolton was awful.

He signed contract then was told shortly afterwards there was no money to spend and he needed to half the budget - then had a transfer embargo thrust upon him.

I wouldn't at all judge him on Bolton.

Above all he's a winner, won't accept defeat easily, and psychologically could have the edge on opposition managers - and not take any rubbish from the media.

RIP Bestie
02-06-2016, 05:34 PM
Don't want him anywhere near here.
Forget the hatred and bad feeling that follows him about, I'm not convinced on his managerial ability.

SeanWilson
02-06-2016, 05:36 PM
He signed contract then was told shortly afterwards there was no money to spend and he needed to half the budget - then had a transfer embargo thrust upon him.

I wouldn't at all judge him on Bolton.

Above all he's a winner, won't accept defeat easily, and psychologically could have the edge on opposition managers - and not take any rubbish from the media.

he had bids in for players one week, which had to be cancelled the following monday. he had a nightmare of it down there, thats for sure. Hibs in the Champ is a bit like Celtic in the SPFL, should win at a canter. He did it for them, he'd do it for us.

Michael
02-06-2016, 05:36 PM
The photo above is photoshopped, in the original he's wearing a black and yellow striped tie.

Whoever made it has mad 'shop skills.

Greenwich_Hibby
02-06-2016, 05:37 PM
Forget the hatred and bad feeling that follows him about, I'm not convinced on his managerial ability.

This.

Big L
02-06-2016, 05:39 PM
I think he"s being really smart! After the Bolton crap he could spend a year on the side lines then maybe get a job, then again maybe not. This way he takes over a club with a really good squad, no financial problems, a really great support, in europe, he brings in another couple of Celtic loans, win the league, he's back to being popular again

CB_NO3
02-06-2016, 05:39 PM
I haven't.

Haven't even heard that he's under serious consideration.
:confused:
Same, I have a feeling this is going to fall flat in everyone's face. I think folk are just putting 2+2 together and coming up with 5. Hope I am wrong.

Sammy7nil
02-06-2016, 05:43 PM
He's the type of player that I absolutely loved watching, the likes of him, Rino Gattuso, Roy Keane, Edgar Davids, Javier Mascherano, Matty Jack!!! the players that did nothing spectacular skill wise but were the central cog of their team and made the opposition fans livid with their action, that's exactly the type of attitude I'd like to see us adopting going forward. Totally understand it's not everyone's cup of tea but it makes for a great matchday atmosphere when you're led into battle by a proper general, whether that be on the pitch or in the dugout.

He was the type of player i hated watching nasty, niggling, mouthy peice of shhit with very little footballing ability he was just there to spoil things and pass the ball 2 yards to the real footballers imho of course :greengrin Having said that if he became the Hibs manager good luck to him. I personally think there is no chance of this happening.

Big_Franck
02-06-2016, 05:43 PM
Who would get us promoted.

This has been stated a few times on this thread now. What exactly are people basing this opinion on? The only time he was up against sides with similar budgets at Bolton he was an absolute disaster. Add in the fact he's a horrible wee cant and I wouldn't want him anywhere near our club. Hopefully it's just more Sun nonsense.

Mr White
02-06-2016, 05:44 PM
He was the type of player i hated watching nasty, niggling, mouthy peice of shhit with very little footballing ability he was just there to spoil things and pass the ball 2 yards to the real footballers imho of course :greengrin Having said that if he became the Hibs manager good luck to him. I personally think there is no chance of this happening.
The ginger matty jack :greengrin

Hibbyradge
02-06-2016, 05:45 PM
Same, I have a feeling this is going to fall flat in everyone's face. I think folk are just putting 2+2 together and coming up with 5. Hope I am wrong.

You're not wrong. It's a load of Tom Kite.

If Rotherham are able to attract Stubbs, Lennon will be able to bag a lot bigger.

He's disappointed that he didn't get the Celtic job. He's not going to be interested in a Scottish Championship club.

I would bet a any money that Hibs haven't been in touch with him.

Sunsport "understands" he is willing to talk to Hibs.

That actually means "Sunsport has made up"...

Get real folks.

BroxburnHibee
02-06-2016, 05:48 PM
Yep "Sun sport after reading Hibs.Net understands" would be more accurate.

Loady pish if you ask me......

TheMentalHibees
02-06-2016, 05:51 PM

[emoji106]

RIP Bestie
02-06-2016, 05:54 PM
[emoji106]

��

Hibbyradge
02-06-2016, 05:55 PM
Yep "Sun sport after reading Hibs.Net understands" would be more accurate.

Loady pish if you ask me......

This time, Sunsport started the rumour.

Ozyhibby
02-06-2016, 05:56 PM

Without a bit of grit in midfield you get arsenal or us under Fenlon. And to say he had very little ability is nonsense.

Sir David Gray
02-06-2016, 06:00 PM
Its reasonable to say that its practically impossible not to win something in Scotland with Celtic.

My point exactly.

bingo70
02-06-2016, 06:08 PM
For everyone saying it's easy to manage Celtic, it's worth remembering how difficult Tony Mowbray found it yet he's regarded by many as our best manager in years.

I don't think it'll be Lennon that gets the job though.

swin1875
02-06-2016, 06:11 PM
typical though guy gets hounded before he even (that's if) he has the job,70% win rate at Celtic last 16 champions league Bolton aside total poisoned chalice there,some people can't take to him?in my book he is exactly the type we need,can you see him losing away to Alloa Dumbarton etc?

davidw
02-06-2016, 06:15 PM
This has been stated a few times on this thread now. What exactly are people basing this opinion on? The only time he was up against sides with similar budgets at Bolton he was an absolute disaster. Add in the fact he's a horrible wee cant and I wouldn't want him anywhere near our club. Hopefully it's just more Sun nonsense.

The point is he's an entirely unknown quantity football-coach wise. He's had two appointments, and it's difficult to judge his ability at either. My dead pet gerbil could win the league at Septic, and at Bolton he was caught up in a financial meltdown. Granted, he had some decent European results at Septic, but he also had some shockers e.g. losing cup semi to Ross County when County were still a lower league club.

Looking at what Bolton fans said about him before he left doesn't inspire either e.g. see here http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/bolton/neil-lennon-from-buzzwords-to-the-gutter, and lines like 'His ultimate failure lies in simply not getting the best out of his players. This team should be doing better.' ANd not to mention a whole 'Lennon out' thread (http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/boards/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26150), which includes comments like: 'He has wasted the last of the money on players he doesn't play....The results he's achieved even considering the circumstances are absolutely scandalous.... I think he is a significant part of the recent downfall...'

Hmmmmmmm...

Sammy7nil
02-06-2016, 06:16 PM
Without a bit of grit in midfield you get arsenal or us under Fenlon. And to say he had very little ability is nonsense.

He had ability at being a nasty spoiler he was never a gifted footballer he played in good teams and gave the ball to footballers for them to play. THREE goals from probably one of Celtics most attack mind teams tells a story. There would be several games that team won by 5,6 or 7goals yet he managed a total 3 in 170 appearances. We have 2 goal keepers with a comparable record let alone playing in that midfield.

tamig
02-06-2016, 06:33 PM

What a load of nonsense. Is this based purely on his time at Celtic? Have you never heard his punditry? He's a thoroughly likeable guy. And you quite clearly havent read any of the posts which fully explain the situation he was landed in at Bolton.

Skåne Hibs
I don't wanna fan the flames of a Sunsport rumour but they could well be right about Lennon.
I have it on good authority from a source who is never wrong that Dear's pharmacy on Easter Road have ordered in extra supplies of factor 50 sunblock. :na na:

hibby67
I don't think it will be Lennon . in the statement from Hibernian they said

The Task is now at hand for Hibernian is to find a Head Coach

I think this statement rules Lennon out I would think he is more of manager then a Head Coach? just my opinion

steakbake
02-06-2016, 06:34 PM
Whoever made it has mad 'shop skills.

Great, eh? Saw The Clumpany tweeted this and I thought it was for real. Have to say, he looks the part.

Andy74
02-06-2016, 06:35 PM
I don't think it will be Lennon . in the statement from Hibernian they said

The Task is now at hand for Hibernian is to find a Head Coach

I think this statement rules Lennon out I would think he is more of manager then a Head Coach? just my opinion

Don't think that distinction makes much odds in terms of who we look at to be honest.

Jim44
02-06-2016, 06:45 PM
That's 24 hours we've been discussing a bit of Sun Sport claptrap and, for me, the only conclusion to come of it is that the unlikely appointment of Lennon would prove to be a real disruptive and divisive element among our supporters.

Hibrandenburg
02-06-2016, 06:50 PM
I think the story was deliberately made up by the Sun to f...mess with Hibs supporters' minds as an act of revenge for our antipathy towards the rag.

Rod and Sir Tom are just spreading rumours to up the odds on Jim Jeffries who'll be announced tomorrow after they both bet the family jewels on Jim.

Blaster
02-06-2016, 06:51 PM
That's 24 hours we've been discussing a bit of Sun Sport claptrap and, for me, the only conclusion to come of it is that the unlikely appointment of Lennon would prove to be a real disruptive and divisive element among our supporters.

Same goes for any manager. McCall Hughes Collins mixu houston 😉 all have people saying yes or no. But Lennon seems to have the majority of us excited with a few disgruntled

You'll never make everyone happy

Ozyhibby
02-06-2016, 06:52 PM
He had ability at being a nasty spoiler he was never a gifted footballer he played in good teams and gave the ball to footballers for them to play. THREE goals from probably one of Celtics most attack mind teams tells a story. There would be several games that team won by 5,6 or 7goals yet he managed a total 3 in 170 appearances. We have 2 goal keepers with a comparable record let alone playing in that midfield.

Do you think it's easy to always be in the right position to break up attacks, intercept passes etc?
Lennon was a smart footballer who worked very hard every game he played. His pass completion rate was also excellent, as was his ball security.
Your placing a higher value on the flare players but that's not how football works. Is Aiden McGeady a better player than John Terry? He's certainly more skilful but I would argue Terry is the better player.

Sammy7nil
02-06-2016, 07:01 PM
Do you think it's easy to always be in the right position to break up attacks, intercept passes etc?
Lennon was a smart footballer who worked very hard every game he played. His pass completion rate was also excellent, as was his ball security.
Your placing a higher value on the flare players but that's not how football works. Is Aiden McGeady a better player than John Terry? He's certainly more skilful but I would argue Terry is the better player.

I am not doubting he could play however he certainly did not have much ability i recall him stamping on Broonies foot at a throw in at ER i simply hated everything about the way he ayed football. His pass ratio and ball retention was superb but if your longest pass is ten yards and your average 3yds it is slightly easier to see why. Yes i understand a team of 11 Messi's would be hammered every week but i dont have to like the thugs who would try to trample them and that is who Lennon was. As i said before his three goals playing in that team from midfield tells me a lot about how Neil played the game, I hated it. We just have a different view.

degenerated
02-06-2016, 07:02 PM
To be fair I don't think anyone is really hoping him to sign as a creative goal scoring midfielder ;)

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

brianmc

For the avoidance of doubt: Neil Lennon HAS spoken to Hibs about the job(source, N. Lennon of Glasgow). How far those discussions went I've not been made aware of. But to suggest , just cos you don't fancy him as manager, that it's just claptrap from the Sun is really clutching at straws.

jacomo

Ah well. I had fun, at any rate.

lucky
02-06-2016, 07:08 PM
Personally think it would be a major result if Hibs pulled this off. Compared to other names in the frame he is the stand out.

MWHIBBIES
02-06-2016, 07:10 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkArsenal have had grit in the midfield for years now, pretty bad example.

Sammy7nil
02-06-2016, 07:12 PM

P. S. Everyone and every manager places a higher value on flare players just look at the fees for strikers and creative midfilders compared to other postions in any team.

Jim44
02-06-2016, 07:20 PM
For the avoidance of doubt: Neil Lennon HAS spoken to Hibs about the job(source, N. Lennon of Glasgow). How far those discussions went I've not been made aware of. But to suggest , just cos you don't fancy him as manager, that it's just claptrap from the Sun is really clutching at straws.

For the avoidance of doubt, and you will find it in this thread, I actually do fancy him as manager, if he can do the job for us. I still think it's media claptrap and I certainly do think that the content of this thread suggests his appointment would be divisive.

brianmc
02-06-2016, 07:27 PM
For the avoidance of doubt, and you will find it in this thread, I actually do fancy him as manager, if he can do the job for us. I still think it's media claptrap and I certainly do think that the content of this thread suggests his appointment would be divisive.

Are there any of the other names linked so far that wouldn't fall into the category of divisive?

Sammy7nil
02-06-2016, 07:28 PM
Are there any of the other names linked so far that wouldn't fall into the category of divisive?

Pep Guardiola :wink:

jacomo
02-06-2016, 07:39 PM
Pep Guardiola :wink:

He wears cardigans. Specifically against the rules, apparently.

Jim44
02-06-2016, 07:56 PM

I take your point, if, by devisive, we're talking about moot differences of opinion. In the case of Lennon, however, I think the feelings expressed in this thread about his suitability or otherwise run much deeper.

brianmc
02-06-2016, 08:25 PM
I take your point, if, by devisive, we're talking about moot differences of opinion. In the case of Lennon, however, I think the feelings expressed in this thread about his suitability or otherwise run much deeper.

Fair enough, it's a game of opinions after all. For what it's worth if you'd asked me a few years ago about Lennon i'd have given a very different opinion than the one I currently hold.

JimBHibees
02-06-2016, 08:46 PM
This time, Sunsport started the rumour.

Sun sport do have decent Hibs connections. Wouldn't rule it out our magnificent Cup win will likely attract a better candidate.

degenerated
02-06-2016, 08:47 PM
As long as he doesn't drive a rover it should be fine.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Iggy Pope
02-06-2016, 08:53 PM

Whether he is in the frame or not, this is the archetypal .net blah, blah, blah post And blah.

Bostonhibby
02-06-2016, 09:02 PM

Maroon cardigans? I knew Pep was an admirer of the "famous" and heavily influenced by Potter tactically so anything is possible...............

jacomo
02-06-2016, 09:33 PM
Maroon cardigans? I knew Pep was an admirer of the "famous" and heavily influenced by Potter tactically so anything is possible...............

I've never seen Pep in a maroon cardy.

But that can only because he doesn't feel worthy to wear the colour of his heroes, right?

Killiehibbie
02-06-2016, 10:14 PM
This has been stated a few times on this thread now. What exactly are people basing this opinion on? The only time he was up against sides with similar budgets at Bolton he was an absolute disaster. Add in the fact he's a horrible wee cant and I wouldn't want him anywhere near our club. Hopefully it's just more Sun nonsense.i reckon he'd have what it takes . Could be totally wrong, i often am.

The Green Goblin
02-06-2016, 10:15 PM
Former european-finalist, multiple league-winning, decade-long CL career-experienced, mastermind-of-victory-over-one-of-the-best-Barcelona-teams-of-all-time manager....

....scorned as potential new coach by fans of club trying to get out of the Scottish championship against mostly part-time opposition for the third season in a row.

:greengrin

:devil::stirrer:

Hibbyradge
02-06-2016, 10:18 PM
former european-finalist, multiple league-winning, decade-long cl career-experienced, mastermind-of-victory-over-one-of-the-best-barcelona-teams-of-all-time manager....

....even considered as potential new coach by fans of club trying to get out of the scottish championship against mostly part-time opposition for the third season in a row. :crazy:

ftfy.

monktonharp
03-06-2016, 12:33 AM
much has been said, and a few have been very derogatory of the possible appointment of Neil Lennon as our next manager but I think when all is said and done he would definitely be in the top bracket of any people interviewed. very happy if it's him, and have no idea who else could be in the frame but we surely want a big name, with experience of Scottish football? we are the type of club nowadays that can attract people, but never hold them. we just need someone to take us back to where we belong ,in league terms at least. a one year shot, would do me at the moment as long as we get up!

Callum_62
03-06-2016, 04:27 AM
Lennon ticks pretty much every box I can think of

be delighted if its him - but have my doubts

Ronniekirk
03-06-2016, 07:07 AM
If he were to be appointed and get us promoted he would be away elsewhere at some point the following season imo , but then again if its another Stubbs like appointment and they also were to get us up in their first season ,then tey too could be away in that same time frame
For me its got to be someone that can take us forward after the high of winning the Cup and get us promoted
We are unlikely to get Stokes back on loan ,and i think Henderson has shown enough for Celtic s new boss to at least give him pre season game time ,but if he is to go back out on loan it wont be in Scottish championship imo
Stubbs is bound to test our resolve for at least one player you would think and Hanlon will rightly now weigh up his options with Stubbs away
So maybe just maybe someone with the Gravitas of Lennon is exactly whst we need right now ,to steady the ship and steer us a new course
The Championship will be just as difficult to win ,and o don't want play offs this year, as its a lottery at end of tired season ,and favours the team in higher league A rookie manager may just fall short at crucial times in the Season
Leeann simply has to get this appointment right ,and if it takes another week so be it

Callum_62
03-06-2016, 07:12 AM
Lennon is certainly the highest profile candidate we are in with a chance of getting

Doesnt mean he is best choice - but on the limited information I have - I reckon he is

Mind, I thought Butcher was a good choice.... :greengrin

hibs0666
03-06-2016, 07:21 AM
Former european-finalist, multiple league-winning, decade-long CL career-experienced, mastermind-of-victory-over-one-of-the-best-Barcelona-teams-of-all-time manager....

....scorned as potential new coach by fans of club trying to get out of the Scottish championship against mostly part-time opposition for the third season in a row.

So what? That does not excuse the fact he has got bad teeth. For that reason I'm out.

Ronniekirk
03-06-2016, 07:23 AM
Lennon is certainly the highest profile candidate we are in with a chance of getting

Doesnt mean he is best choice - but on the limited information I have - I reckon he is

Mind, I thought Butcher was a good choice.... :greengrin

You weren't alone in thinking that Callum , but Leeann saw through him and made the right call so rather her than Petrie choosing next Head Coach thats for sure

The Leith Dutch
03-06-2016, 08:19 AM
If he were to be appointed and get us promoted he would be away elsewhere at some point the following season imo

This is one of the few seasons that I wouldn't be overly concerned were that to happen.

As long as the new manager gets us promoted and doesn't stick us with extended contracts for a bunch of players who will only be of use to get out the Championship then I'm OK if he walks next season.

Colr
03-06-2016, 08:34 AM

Well, the last manager that the fans were together in calling for was Terry Butcher!

Colr
03-06-2016, 08:34 AM

Only against the rules when worn with a suit!!

Bostonhibby
03-06-2016, 08:41 AM
I've never seen Pep in a maroon cardy.

But that can only because he doesn't feel worthy to wear the colour of his heroes, right?
Probably right, or maybe his mum hasn't knitted him one like the big teamers do.

He should be able to buy the brown driving gloves though.

Onceinawhile
03-06-2016, 08:42 AM
Is the editor of the sun not the brother of our head of communication or something like that?

Andy74
03-06-2016, 08:43 AM
Is the editor of the sun not the brother of our head of communication or something like that?

Kenny Millar is Colin Millar's brother.

Colin is on holiday!

GreenOnions
03-06-2016, 08:44 AM

Exactly. The only "divisive" aspect of any decision to appoint Neil Lennon as Hibs' managers would be the division between those who'd shoot themselves in the foot every time they're given a weapon and those that would support the appointment

Billy Whizz
03-06-2016, 08:45 AM

Kenny Millar is not the editor of the Sun. Think the editor is a Hibee as well, but can't remember his name

Big L
03-06-2016, 08:47 AM
I think players such as Stokes and possibly Griffiths might struggle for game time under Rodgers! Griff, albeit a great striker on the domestic scene, has never done it at European or international level and I think Rodgers will be spending cash on a class striker, which basically means that if we get Lennon we might have a chance of getting Stokes back and maybe one or two others.

Thecat23
03-06-2016, 08:50 AM
Kenny Millar is not the editor of the Sun. Think the editor is a Hibee as well, but can't remember his name

Gordon Smart.

Michael
03-06-2016, 09:04 AM
I think players such as Stokes and possibly Griffiths might struggle for game time under Rodgers! Griff, albeit a great striker on the domestic scene, has never done it at European or international level and I think Rodgers will be spending cash on a class striker, which basically means that if we get Lennon we might have a chance of getting Stokes back and maybe one or two others.

I think Griffiths will be Celtic's main man. He's not had much opportunity to play at European level, but if he gets a decent chance I think he'll do well.

EDIT: Forgot about Europa league...but I think he's been saving himself for the Champions League! ;-)

Bad Martini
03-06-2016, 09:07 AM
Neil Lennon was a wee **** as a player and no mistake, largely because, he didn't play for us.

If you're not two faced, dont live up your own arse and have 2 (or even 1) working eye, you would see that and admit it.

A spade is a ****ing spade people.

Interestingly, the same pish levelled here about Lennon was levelled against Stokes not so long ago until he turned things around and started popping in the odd vital goal here and there, perhaps, an integral and huge part of Scottish Cup Winning Team.

****s sake, we even took in ex-jambos and sung about them being alright now!

Still, a manager who has managed at celtic (and done well, as its easy, yet not for the last incumbent for some odd reason) is way below our sights.

I dont particularly like Lennon. I dont like a lot of the **** he done on the pitch as a player and some of his celtic whinging. However, if he is in OUR corner, I'd change that completely for two reasons.

1) He's in our corner fighting for us.
2) See point 1.

You can bet it would not be a Calderwoodesque rollercoaster to nowheresville and nobody would be told to check out the odeon ala fat Boab. Maybe he'd tell a few folk to **** off :greengrin (some might even be in our own ranks) but fair play, as long as he didn't "Butcher-s-d it", I would give a rats ass. And I would suggest, with him in charge, like him or not, we'd get promoted...

However, its all subjective. And gossip. Until someone pops up and announces it on the fishy site.

ENDOF

makaveli1875
03-06-2016, 09:07 AM
I think Griffiths will be Celtic's main man. He's not had much opportunity to play at European level, but if he gets a decent chance I think he'll do well.

rodgers says he is looking forward to working with griffiths , he will be his main man no doubt about it

Sir David Gray
03-06-2016, 09:09 AM

Griffiths just scored 40 goals for them last season, I'm sure Rodgers will be more than happy with him for next season.

Even if he isn't, there's no danger that he'll be playing in the Scottish Championship.

Stevie Reid
03-06-2016, 09:39 AM

At this moment in time, Griffiths is statistically the best striker in Celtic's history, he got to 50 goals in less games than anyone else before him, and his stats are frightening: -

SPL
52 goals in 57 starts; 0.91 goals per game

Scottish Cup
7 goals in 8 starts; 0.88 goals per game

League Cup
4 goals in 4 starts; a goal a game (obvs)

Europe
4 goals in 11 starts; 0.36 goals per game

Rodgers would need his head read if he wasn't going to utilise Griffiths, but he will. There are similarities to Luis Suarez in terms of his pace, work rate, shooting ability with either foot, and scoring record. Suarez was pivotal to the way Liverpool played at their best under Rodgers, in fact, when Suarez went it all fell apart (though any team would struggle to deal with such a loss).

In the year that Liverpool almost won the league, teams were terrified of the pace of Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling and sat deep against them - the work rate of the three in harrying defenders meant that they won the ball back high up the park, and as a result they had teams hemmed in their own half for virtually the whole game. Such constant pressure and quality of attackers meant that they scored barrowloads (101 goals in the Premiership, only failed to score in two matches) - it was the best football I have ever seen in the Premiership.

If he wants to try and implement such a style up here, Griffiths will be pivotal. Never gives defenders peace, and always scores. As for internationals, he has no goals in seven caps but too early to judge - Alan Shearer had only scored 5 goals in 23 matches prior to Euro 96, he ended up with 30 in 63.

The_Horde
03-06-2016, 09:41 AM
Neil Lennon was a wee **** as a player and no mistake, largely because, he didn't play for us.

If you're not two faced, dont live up your own arse and have 2 (or even 1) working eye, you would see that and admit it.

A spade is a ****ing spade people.

Interestingly, the same pish levelled here about Lennon was levelled against Stokes not so long ago until he turned things around and started popping in the odd vital goal here and there, perhaps, an integral and huge part of Scottish Cup Winning Team.

****s sake, we even took in ex-jambos and sung about them being alright now!

Still, a manager who has managed at celtic (and done well, as its easy, yet not for the last incumbent for some odd reason) is way below our sights.

I dont particularly like Lennon. I dont like a lot of the **** he done on the pitch as a player and some of his celtic whinging. However, if he is in OUR corner, I'd change that completely for two reasons.

1) He's in our corner fighting for us.
2) See point 1.

You can bet it would not be a Calderwoodesque rollercoaster to nowheresville and nobody would be told to check out the odeon ala fat Boab. Maybe he'd tell a few folk to **** off :greengrin (some might even be in our own ranks) but fair play, as long as he didn't "Butcher-s-d it", I would give a rats ass. And I would suggest, with him in charge, like him or not, we'd get promoted...

However, its all subjective. And gossip. Until someone pops up and announces it on the fishy site.

ENDOF

u ok hun? :hilarious

jgl07
03-06-2016, 09:48 AM
Griffiths will return to Hibs some time. I am convinced of that.

Just not for the moment.

Things are rather more positive about Stokes and Henderson. I suspect that Saint Brendan will be looking for higher profile players. Celtic bringing in Rogers suggests that they are likely to have a serious attempt at making the Champions League group stages. There has already been talk of a clear out of players.

Neil Lennon could be a good person to attract the likes of Stokes to Hibs.

steakbake
03-06-2016, 09:58 AM

It ain't stirring when it's the facts!

SeanWilson
03-06-2016, 10:01 AM
At this moment in time, Griffiths is statistically the best striker in Celtic's history, he got to 50 goals in less games than anyone else before him, and his stats are frightening: -

SPL
52 goals in 57 starts; 0.91 goals per game

Scottish Cup
7 goals in 8 starts; 0.88 goals per game

League Cup
4 goals in 4 starts; a goal a game (obvs)

Europe
4 goals in 11 starts; 0.36 goals per game

Rodgers would need his head read if he wasn't going to utilise Griffiths, but he will. There are similarities to Luis Suarez in terms of his pace, work rate, shooting ability with either foot, and scoring record. Suarez was pivotal to the way Liverpool played at their best under Rodgers, in fact, when Suarez went it all fell apart (though any team would struggle to deal with such a loss).

In the year that Liverpool almost won the league, teams were terrified of the pace of Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling and sat deep against them - the work rate of the three in harrying defenders meant that they won the ball back high up the park, and as a result they had teams hemmed in their own half for virtually the whole game. Such constant pressure and quality of attackers meant that they scored barrowloads (101 goals in the Premiership, only failed to score in two matches) - it was the best football I have ever seen in the Premiership.

If he wants to try and implement such a style up here, Griffiths will be pivotal. Never gives defenders peace, and always scores. As for internationals, he has no goals in seven caps but too early to judge - Alan Shearer had only scored 5 goals in 23 matches prior to Euro 96, he ended up with 30 in 63.

Now before i start, Griff is a legend and i am not knocking in any way shape or form.... however...

It isn't difficult to work out why he is statistically the best striker in Celtic's history....

BTW, to compare Suarez who is arguably the best striker on the planet right now to Leigh Griffiths is compeletely bananas. Leigh scores for fun against Ross County and Inverness.... Suarez has scored goals against nearly every top level opposition on the planet.

Spudster
03-06-2016, 10:06 AM
Neil Lennon could be a good person to attract the likes of Stokes to Hibs.
Did Stokes play under Lennon alot when he was manager? I remember him tearing us to bits in the 3-0 cup final when Lennon was manager.

SeanWilson
03-06-2016, 10:08 AM
Kris Commons on loan? Him an NL seemed to get on....

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
03-06-2016, 10:09 AM
Now before i start, Griff is a legend and i am not knocking in any way shape or form.... however...

It isn't difficult to work out why he is statistically the best striker in Celtic's history....

BTW, to compare Suarez who is arguably the best striker on the planet right now to Leigh Griffiths is compeletely bananas. Leigh scores for fun against Ross County and Inverness.... Suarez has scored goals against nearly every top level opposition on the planet.

Its a pretty obtuse reading of that post to suggest hes saying griffiths is as good as suarez.

But relatively speaking, could griffiths be as good in scotland (and important to a scottish team) as suarez was to Liverpool and in england / spain? I think thatsbthe point he was making. Griffiths playsbin scotland, so doesnt have to be as good a player to have a similar role and impact.

SeanWilson
03-06-2016, 10:09 AM
Did Stokes play under Lennon alot when he was manager? I remember him tearing us to bits in the 3-0 cup final when Lennon was manager.

stokes and hooper were his main strikers.

SeanWilson
03-06-2016, 10:12 AM
Its a pretty obtuse reading of that post to suggest hes saying griffiths is as good as suarez.

But relatively speaking, could griffiths be as good in scotland (and important to a scottish team) as suarez was to Liverpool and in england / spain? I think thatsbthe point he was making. Griffiths playsbin scotland, so doesnt have to be as good a player to have a similar role and impact.

i said to compare.

Of course, you can compare any players, however they are in different stratosphere's IMO

Stevie Reid
03-06-2016, 10:14 AM

I just said they had similar attributes, and that Griffiths could be as pivotal to a certain style of play as Suarez was. You making the point that Suarez is a better player than Griffiths is simply stating the obvious.

SeanWilson
03-06-2016, 10:17 AM
I just said they had similar attributes, and that Griffiths could be as pivotal to a certain style of play as Suarez was.

fair enough :aok:

Sammy7nil
03-06-2016, 10:20 AM
I just said they had similar attributes, and that Griffiths could be as pivotal to a certain style of play as Suarez was. You making the point that Suarez is a better player than Griffiths is simply stating the obvious.

If Saurez continues to play well one day he may match Leigh :agree::wink: