PDA

View Full Version : The 2016 Scottish Cup Final: The Perfect Storm

Hibzbollah
01-06-2016, 11:46 AM
http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2016/05/31/the-2016-scottish-cup-final-the-perfect-storm/

I'm not sure if anyone has seen this?

It's a great piece on the context of the cup final celebrations and aftermath.

JimBHibees
01-06-2016, 12:08 PM
Cracking article, intelligent and IMO factual and balanced. Compare and contrast with the utter guff spoon fed by the highest selling rags.

PapillonVert
01-06-2016, 12:40 PM
http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2016/05/31/the-2016-scottish-cup-final-the-perfect-storm/

A lot of that comment could apply to a certain other football club we all know, could it not?

Moulin Yarns
01-06-2016, 12:51 PM
read it yesterday, so good I sent it round my contacts. No idea why I didn't put it on Hibs.net

DCI Gene Hunt
01-06-2016, 01:12 PM
Hit the nail on the head.

Has riled a few Orcs jusdging by some of the comments, most folk seeing sense though.

This mess has all been the doing of the SFA who wanted to save Rangers at all costs, even to the extent of ruining the game.

Everyone bar Sevco & their fans remain incredibly angry at this club's preferential treatment which has enabled them to return to the Premier League in short time, Sevco, the SFA and the Glasgow Media fail to understand this outside of their little Old Firm bubble.

Ross4356
01-06-2016, 01:24 PM
I like Bella but this article is totasl BS, it states in regards to the events after the final whistle "they were not simply the hangover of a century old Scottish Cup failure on the part of one of Scotland’s largest and most tortured groups of supporters. Nor were they the inevitable result of ‘sectarian’ behavior between two clubs with varying degrees of ethno-religious identities."

The pitch invasion was a direct result of 114 years of misery in the competition and the fact DG scored with 2 minutes to go to end the misery

NAE NOOKIE
01-06-2016, 01:25 PM
Read it earlier this morning on Facebook. In my opinion even though it is bang on, it is not needed to explain the pitch invasion ... the reason was much more simple.

In the minutes between Sir David Gray's magnificent winner and the final whistle blowing I had forgotten we were even playing Sevco .. in fact it might as well have been Berwick Rangers out there and I bet 99% of Hibs fans were the same. No, that pitch invasion was the inevitable full stop to 114 years of pain and in more recent decades ( especially this one ) of other fans, joyously supported by the media, rubbing 114 years, 10 losing finals, no bottle, and in recent weeks 'Hibsing it' in our faces, both as a club and as a set of supporters.

Anybody who couldn't see the pitch invasion coming was either incredibly arrogant or incredibly stupid .... the SFA and police can pick which one they want to be seen as.

This incident would have blown over pretty quickly if it hadn't been for the ridiculous, over the top, and lying statement issued by Sevco in the minutes following the game. The attempt to defend their knuckle draggers was an outrage much bigger than what happened on the pitch. The way they have conducted themselves in the last 12 days only leaves one question to be answered in this whole mess:

Who is running The Rangers FC? ..... Sensible people who can be trusted to run a professional football club ... or the 'we arra people' ... Billy boys' .... 'if you aren't Rangers then you must be a Fenian *******' knuckle dragging morons. I for one think I know the answer.

davidw
01-06-2016, 04:21 PM

It's good, but it misses other aspects of the 'storm'. I posted this on another thread, but it's entirely relevant to this:

I wonder if anyone in the media might pick up on the fact that there is indeed a "hatred towards Rangers", and the fact that similar scenes happened at Motherwell last year? NB I am not - for one minute - condoning for one single minute the actions of the minority morons who ran at the Rangers fans looking to goad and fight them - idiots each and every one. But the questions is: would that have happened if the opposition had been Aberdeen Or Dundee Utd or, indeed, Motherwell? Answer: no. Because the entire Rangers support, at every game of football, acts as a provocation. 90 minutes of songs (at every single game) about killing Catholics, about No Surrender, about - in the case of Hibs - Stubbs being a "Fenion b*****d", even about (in a Scottish context) "Rule Britannia" acts as a provocation. I repeat a hundred times: I do NOT defend the morons that ran towards them and fought them. F*****g idiots, each and every one. But Rangers fans' songs and attitude act as a provocation, and that + alcohol + youthful stupidity is a large part of the equation of what happened yesterday.

And here's the other thing: I heard Chick Young ranting about the unacceptable behaviour of the minority of Hibs fans yesterday, and on one level he's obviously right. But on another level he and his colleagues are part of the issue: for literally decades they used their journalistic skills to describe 40,000 people at Ibrox singing about killing Catholics (ie Billy Boys Song) as "a great atmosphere". And indeed for a whole set of reasons involving people in power, no-one has done anything about it for decades, and it continues to fester. I repeat (third time, I think), I do not excuse the behaviour of the Hibs morons, but there are deep-seated issues being ignored here, and, as I said, this wouldn't have happened if the opposition had not been Rangers.

As an aside, by the way, the stewarding/policing was atrocious.

Hibzbollah
01-06-2016, 08:29 PM
It's good, but it misses other aspects of the 'storm'. I posted this on another thread, but it's entirely relevant to this:

I wonder if anyone in the media might pick up on the fact that there is indeed a "hatred towards Rangers", and the fact that similar scenes happened at Motherwell last year? NB I am not - for one minute - condoning for one single minute the actions of the minority morons who ran at the Rangers fans looking to goad and fight them - idiots each and every one. But the questions is: would that have happened if the opposition had been Aberdeen Or Dundee Utd or, indeed, Motherwell? Answer: no. Because the entire Rangers support, at every game of football, acts as a provocation. 90 minutes of songs (at every single game) about killing Catholics, about No Surrender, about - in the case of Hibs - Stubbs being a "Fenion b*****d", even about (in a Scottish context) "Rule Britannia" acts as a provocation. I repeat a hundred times: I do NOT defend the morons that ran towards them and fought them. F*****g idiots, each and every one. But Rangers fans' songs and attitude act as a provocation, and that + alcohol + youthful stupidity is a large part of the equation of what happened yesterday.

And here's the other thing: I heard Chick Young ranting about the unacceptable behaviour of the minority of Hibs fans yesterday, and on one level he's obviously right. But on another level he and his colleagues are part of the issue: for literally decades they used their journalistic skills to describe 40,000 people at Ibrox singing about killing Catholics (ie Billy Boys Song) as "a great atmosphere". And indeed for a whole set of reasons involving people in power, no-one has done anything about it for decades, and it continues to fester. I repeat (third time, I think), I do not excuse the behaviour of the Hibs morons, but there are deep-seated issues being ignored here, and, as I said, this wouldn't have happened if the opposition had not been Rangers.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. It's been a while since I saw us play the Huns, but this was up there with the worst experiences. A 90 minute provocation from Rule Britannia to the hate filled tunes about "fenians".

I think the article is excellent but it completely misses this point about the rancid sectarianism. So my view is that the hate filled Huns are now even worse since they got liquidated. I really do hope the investigation highlights their rotten behaviour throughout the match and in the scenes afterwards. Furthermore, it really is time the Off shore investigation was taken up by the appropriate authorities.

i feel the urge for a petition coming on 

northstandhibby
01-06-2016, 08:38 PM

A graphic educated truthful account of a quite unbelievable tale. John Kelly writes a candid piece.

:clapper:

Bay Area Hibees
02-06-2016, 08:25 AM
One of best posts I've read. Period.

Onion
02-06-2016, 08:53 AM

Interesting article but it places far too much emphasis on The Rangers in this "perfect storm". Yes, some of the scuffles that broke out might have been fuelled by the Sevco situation (and their reaction), but what drove hundreds of Hibs fans onto the pitch at Hampden was nothing to do with The Rangers. It was everything to do with the end of 114 years of built up frustration, nonsense and goading of Hibs fans by the media and other clubs fans.

Now we have the SFA, police, politicians all wringing their hands knee jerking their way forwards - all based on a one in a hundred year event (aka a perfect storm). I cannot think of ANY other event in Scottish football that could recreate anything like the emotional backdrop to a Hibs Scottish Cup win.There is NOTHING that their beloved Old Firm will do in the future that will come close to 21 May 2016. And that is the point that no one in the media wants to accept. They know it, and it is eating them up inside !!

s.a.m
02-06-2016, 09:07 AM
Interesting article but it places far too much emphasis on The Rangers in this "perfect storm". Yes, some of the scuffles that broke out might have been fuelled by the Sevco situation (and their reaction), but what drove hundreds of Hibs fans onto the pitch at Hampden was nothing to do with The Rangers. It was everything to do with the end of 114 years of built up frustration, nonsense and goading of Hibs fans by the media and other clubs fans.

Now we have the SFA, police, politicians all wringing their hands knee jerking their way forwards - all based on a one in a hundred year event (aka a perfect storm). I cannot think of ANY other event in Scottish football that could recreate anything like the emotional backdrop to a Hibs Scottish Cup win.There is NOTHING that their beloved Old Firm will do in the future that will come close to 21 May 2016. And that is the point that no one in the media wants to accept. They know it, and it is eating them up inside !!

:agree: I think he does well at explaining the dislike for Rangers in Scottish football, and the injustice felt by fans of other clubs. It helps explain why a (relatively small) section of the Hibs pitch invasion peeled off and ran to the other end to confront them, but I don't think it has anything to do with the reasons for the pitch invasion at all. That was about Hibs, not Rangers.