PDA

View Full Version : When is a Hun not a Hun?

Colr
01-06-2016, 08:46 AM
Looks like they're developing a Celtic style victim complex.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/scottish/rangers-lead-campaign-to-ban-the-word-hun-as-its-a-derogatory-slur-towards-protestants-a7059006.html

portyhibernian
01-06-2016, 08:47 AM
Offended by everything, ashamed of nothing.

marinello59
01-06-2016, 08:50 AM

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/scottish/rangers-lead-campaign-to-ban-the-word-hun-as-its-a-derogatory-slur-towards-protestants-a7059006.html

It's a derogatory term for a Rangers fan or player , nowt to do with religion.
A bit like calling us Hobos I suppose.

Greencore
01-06-2016, 08:55 AM
I would still say it and encourage others to say it. Hun Hun Hun Hun, ****ing huns.

Colr
01-06-2016, 08:55 AM

Should we ban the term vermin as well?

Super_JMcGinn
01-06-2016, 08:56 AM
I think it came about because the royals are of german descent :wink:

Kato
01-06-2016, 08:56 AM
Fair enough. We can all stop using derogatory language with a bit common sense and, errm respect.

Let's see them stop using it first as an example then we can all follow suit.

LaMotta
01-06-2016, 08:57 AM
If they make the word hun illegal then a lot of girls on facebook will find it very difficult to express concern for a friend in times of trouble.

Kato
01-06-2016, 08:58 AM

No it didn't.

It came about because Rangers fans descending on an away game looked like something out of a Cecil B DeMille movie.

DarrenSQH
Huns then, Huns now, Huns Forever.

nickwhibs
Offended by everything, ashamed of nothing.

Exactly. It's merely an attempt to justify their own bigoted hatred from a 'tiny minority' (as they put it).

lord bunberry
01-06-2016, 08:59 AM
That article has to be a wind up. It says the rangers fans have been consistently excellent over the last few years. I'm no expert on these matters but singing the billy boys and calling our manager a sad fenian ******* doesn't come across as being anything other than utter low life's. To say calling Rangers Huns has got anything to do with religion is a joke and to compare it to the word fenian is even worse.

JJP
01-06-2016, 09:00 AM
They really are embarrassing. Scotland's Shame indeed.

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-06-2016, 09:00 AM

Wow! that has to be some kind of a joke right?

jacomo
01-06-2016, 09:01 AM

Exactly.

I don't care what religion they are - most of them are barely educated in the history of Protestantism anyhow, much less practice their religion. It's a term for The Rangers fans.

Silly Huns.

JeMeSouviens
01-06-2016, 09:04 AM
I'm an atheist from a protestant background, why would I use a "derogatory slur against protestants"?

Stupid Huns. :rolleyes:

GloryGlory
01-06-2016, 09:05 AM

No self-awareness. They first need to sort out their fans singing about "fenians", surely?

DH1875
01-06-2016, 09:08 AM
Imbeciles, the lot of them :agree:

Geo_1875
01-06-2016, 09:10 AM
No self-awareness. They first need to sort out their fans singing about "fenians", surely?

First they need to work out that Fenian has nothing to do with religion either.

jacomo
01-06-2016, 09:11 AM

Well, yes. That clearly is a derogatory sectarian slur, and The Rangers fans can't help using it.

If they want to go down this road then a lot more of them will be breaking the law than anyone else.

Sir David Gray
01-06-2016, 09:13 AM
I was brought up as a Protestant.

I've never been called a "hun" in my life.

Mr White
01-06-2016, 09:14 AM
If these tramps ever get control of the dictionary then the English language is ****ed.

Jim44
01-06-2016, 09:14 AM
The Huns were a group of nomadic (roaming) herdsmen, warlike people from the steppes (grasslands) of North Central Asia north of China (Mongolia) who terrorized, pillaged, and destroyed much of Asia and Europe from the 3rd through 5th centuries. The use of the stirrup gave the Huns a technological advantage over other warriors of the time. Stirrups are loops hung from a saddle that support a horse rider's feet; these let the Huns brace themselves on their horses while wielding swords or shooting arrows.

I'd have thought that any self respecting Sevconian might be a tad proud of this heritage.

Geo_1875
01-06-2016, 09:16 AM
The Huns were a group of nomadic (roaming) herdsmen, warlike people from the steppes (grasslands) of North Central Asia north of China (Mongolia) who terrorized, pillaged, and destroyed much of Asia and Europe from the 3rd through 5th centuries. The use of the stirrup gave the Huns a technological advantage over other warriors of the time. Stirrups are loops hung from a saddle that support a horse rider's feet; these let the Huns brace themselves on their horses while wielding swords or shooting arrows.

I'd have thought that any self respecting Sevconian might be a tad proud of this heritage.

But were they Protestants?

Hibernia&Alba
01-06-2016, 09:16 AM
I'm an atheist from a protestant background, why would I use a "derogatory slur against protestants"?

Stupid Huns. :rolleyes:

Exactly. The word has NOTHING to do religion. The majority of football fans in Scotland are likely from a Protestant background, but they aren't Huns; only The Rangers supporters. I always think of the Huns of ancient Eurasia who destroyed everything they came into contact with. What's more, any Catholic Rangers supporters (should any exist) are also Huns, so have that Huns. :aok:

Finn2015
01-06-2016, 09:18 AM
Always find it amusing how the most abusive set of fans in the country can't handle it when they get a taste of their own medicine

lyonhibs
01-06-2016, 09:18 AM
Silly, silly Huns.

It's a term, usually preceded by "filthy", "dirty" or "stinking" to denote a Rangers fan at a particularly delayed evolutionary stage.

I've got a few good mates who are Rangers fans and probably Protestant (although I don't know, because I don't care and all religion is a pile of pish IMO) that I would never call Huns as they are decent folk.

I'm_cabbaged
01-06-2016, 09:19 AM
Paranoid Hun bassas

ronaldo7
01-06-2016, 09:22 AM
No it didn't.

It came about because Rangers fans descending on an away game looked like something out of a Cecil B DeMille movie.

Wolverhampton.

500miles
01-06-2016, 09:24 AM
Celtic fans were referred to as the huns many years ago. Not exactly evidence of a link to Protestantism.

Robinho08
01-06-2016, 09:31 AM

I was thinking down similar lines. The term 'Hun' has heehaw to do with religion and is exclusive use for, the The Rangers fans.

Kaiser1962
01-06-2016, 09:43 AM
No it didn't.

First used to describe them in the Wolverhampton press following to visit by the Old club to that city. Nowt to do with religion and everything to with them being ****wits.

Ryan91
01-06-2016, 09:48 AM
They've been Huns to me for as long as care to remember, never had any sort of religious connotation for me.

Sylar
01-06-2016, 09:56 AM
I was thinking down similar lines. The term 'Hun' has heehaw to do with religion and is exclusive use for, the The Rangers fans.

That's not entirely true - there are plenty on this forum (and without) that would refer to Hearts as diet-huns.

That they're seeking to claim some victimhood to the term though is quite risible. Glass houses springs to mind...

greenginger
01-06-2016, 09:59 AM
I always thought they got the name Huns because of their support for the Hanoverian line of kingship.

It could just be because its a short, accurate , term that sums up their tribal mentality.

Sylar
01-06-2016, 10:02 AM
One thing they said in that article that I holistically agree with:

The campaign also calls for pro-IRA songs to be banned because they are "unacceptable and have no place in society", adding that the chants should be "outlawed and made illegal and those singing them dealt with by the courts and banned from entering football stadia".

Betty Boop
01-06-2016, 10:03 AM
Why is it recognised as a sectarian term by Nil by Mouth then ?

http://nilbymouth.org/history/

TAHibby
01-06-2016, 10:04 AM
Focus on your own before trying to moralise everyone else

givescotlandfreedom
01-06-2016, 10:07 AM

Probably to appease them and make it look like they're some kind of victims in this whole thing. Like others I was raised a Protestant too and have never heard the terms used to describe someone's religion. Just that stinking barrel of filth from Glasgow.

CropleyWasGod

They also say this, though:-

An element of supporters following premier league clubs such as Glasgow based Rangers FC and Celtic FC, and Edinburgh’s Hibernian and Hearts use songs, chants and banners on match days to express abuse or support towards the Protestant or Catholic faiths.

In other words, not the best of authorities.

Geo_1875
The Rangers fans in whataboutery shock.

Bristolhibby
01-06-2016, 10:11 AM
First used to describe them in the Wolverhampton press following to visit by the Old club to that city. Nowt to do with religion and everything to with them being ****wits.

Not like the Huns to go to a town and destroy the place. Seems to be a pattern forming here. I wonder if the authorities in Scotland will do anything?

J

Sylar
01-06-2016, 10:12 AM

NbM define sectarianism in Scotland as a confusion of religion, politics, cultural identity and ignorance which draw on religious traditions but are not simply limited to them. At its core lies a ‘fear of difference’ and a failure to understand why others may choose a different path or view of the world from our own. It can take the form of verbal abuse, mistrust between individuals and communities, bullying, online hatred, tensions in the workplace or the home and on, occasions, acts of violence.NbM does not deal in absolute truths; our workshops begin by asking participants to define what sectarianism means to them in 21st century Scotland.

I think they answer your question themselves.

jacomo
01-06-2016, 10:20 AM

Nil by Mouth got sucked in by sectarian whataboutery.

They seemed to think that, to be taken seriously by both sides, they had to be seen to take all offence seriously, no matter how ridiculous.

marinello59
01-06-2016, 10:31 AM

They basically allowed themselves to be duped in to re-defining the term. They were wrong, very wrong.

JohnMcM
01-06-2016, 10:33 AM
Perhaps we can just let bygones be bygones and call them a "a loveable bunch of impish scallywags". That should please them.:greengrin

barcahibs
01-06-2016, 10:57 AM
I'm afraid that if we go down the (imo) stupid and dangerous route of having the government ban any sort of song, chant or verbal term at a football match, then we may just have to suck up the fact that the huns can and will have 'hun' added to that banned list.

The stuff that's already banned or considered offensive was already arrived at by fairly arbitrary means, why shouldn't Hun be added to that list?

The fact is that we're already behind the curve on this. There are a lot of Sevco fans, and as we've already seen with the reporting around the cup final, those numbers let them dictate the news agenda to lazy journalists and politicians.

The papers will back them on this, it's in their financial interest to do so - and frankly it's easier, when you have to produce two pages of guff on Sevco every day it's much easier to produce things those fans (and your succulent lamb sources within the club) will like, than deal with the aftermath of criticism, after all you have to produce another two pages of Sevco exclusives tomorrow.

It's not like there are any journalists out there actually investigating these stories, they don't have the time or skills for that, they just report what the majority of people are telling them they want to hear. Sevco are very good at mobilising that critical mass of morons that will allow them to set the agenda on this, just as they are doing around the cup final, and just as they did around the death of Rangers.

Personally I think it's worth fighting over, I don't think any terms should be banned. People should be shamed and laughed at for using them, not criminalised.

chinaman
01-06-2016, 11:12 AM
Shameless , pitiful ,whineing Liars
Let there pain never end.
Vermin filth G.I.R.U. THE ****
MAY THEY DIE AGAIN.

Dan Sarf
01-06-2016, 11:28 AM

Poor lambs don't like being called Huns any more. Can anyone think of a better name for them?

SeanWilson
01-06-2016, 11:31 AM

Poor lambs don't like being called Huns any more. Can anyone think of a better name for them?

the hypocrisy that comes out of that disgusting bunch of huns; never fails to amaze me.

Pretty Boy
01-06-2016, 11:31 AM
I've called Rangers fans huns for as long as I can remember.

I've never referred to a Protestant as a hun.

Yet more of the 'everyone else is just as bad as us' bollox.

Jim44
01-06-2016, 11:32 AM
I'm afraid that if we go down the (imo) stupid and dangerous route of having the government ban any sort of song, chant or verbal term at a football match, then we may just have to suck up the fact that the huns can and will have 'hun' added to that banned list.

The stuff that's already banned or considered offensive was already arrived at by fairly arbitrary means, why shouldn't Hun be added to that list?

The fact is that we're already behind the curve on this. There are a lot of Sevco fans, and as we've already seen with the reporting around the cup final, those numbers let them dictate the news agenda to lazy journalists and politicians.

The papers will back them on this, it's in their financial interest to do so - and frankly it's easier, when you have to produce two pages of guff on Sevco every day it's much easier to produce things those fans (and your succulent lamb sources within the club) will like, than deal with the aftermath of criticism, after all you have to produce another two pages of Sevco exclusives tomorrow.

It's not like there are any journalists out there actually investigating these stories, they don't have the time or skills for that, they just report what the majority of people are telling them they want to hear. Sevco are very good at mobilising that critical mass of morons that will allow them to set the agenda on this, just as they are doing around the cup final, and just as they did around the death of Rangers.

Personally I think it's worth fighting over, I don't think any terms should be banned. People should be shamed and laughed at for using them, not criminalised.

It's hard to argue with your logic and common sense but, on the other side of the coin, is it wise to have open season on football bigotry, goading and inciting violence?

iwasthere1972
01-06-2016, 11:32 AM

Unbelievable Jeff.

givescotlandfreedom
01-06-2016, 11:33 AM
Nil by Mouth got sucked in by sectarian whataboutery.

They seemed to think that, to be taken seriously by both sides, they had to be seen to take all offence seriously, no matter how ridiculous.

Ironically a think it's their ignorance on the subject that they think we are wee Celtic so doubtlessly do what they do. West coast blinkered nonsense

Skåne Hibs
01-06-2016, 11:41 AM
I'm not sure of the history of this, but I always thought this was just a derogatory word for Ranger's Fans/Team and not Protestants. For example I've never heard this used in Northern or Southern Ireland.

Hibby D
01-06-2016, 11:44 AM
I've been thinking about this and suggest we stop calling them Huns with immediate effect. Instead we should refer to them as Horrible Under-achieving Neanderthals.

Or HUNs for short :greengrin

Geo_1875
01-06-2016, 11:48 AM

I'm with you on this but unfortunately these people have no shame. They wear their bigotry as a badge of honour. And that is the same on both sides of the argument.

**** them all and **** the huns.

Bad Martini
01-06-2016, 11:54 AM
:singing: "You'reeeeeeeeeeeeeee no rangers anyyyy moreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" :singing:

But you're still huns.

...sorry to say but its true.

Manky, unwashed, uneducated huns at that :na na::na na:

duffers
01-06-2016, 12:00 PM
What's next, are they going to ban the phrase 'Smelly tramps' :rolleyes:

Seveno
01-06-2016, 12:09 PM
Imbeciles, the lot of them :agree:

Yes, let's stop calling them Huns and call them imbeciles instead. More accurate I think.

Saturday Boy
01-06-2016, 12:26 PM
:singing: "You'reeeeeeeeeeeeeee no rangers anyyyy moreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" :singing:

But you're still huns.

...sorry to say but its true.

Manky, unwashed, uneducated huns at that :na na::na na:

I think you may be on to something here.

The old story of troops in the Falklands being told to stop calling the locals "Bennys" started calling them "Stills " because they were still Bennys.

I think we should keep this in mind.:wink:

KeithTheHibby
01-06-2016, 12:32 PM
My heart bleeds for those poor wee offended huns.

MyJo
01-06-2016, 12:35 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/153w49.jpg

NadeAteMyLunch!
01-06-2016, 12:37 PM

The same reason that the Rangers are recognised as the same team by some people in the game. Online pressure and threats from huns and a desire not to get on the wrong side of them. I imagine NbM were bombarded with numerous emails telling them that the term Hun is sectarian so they've accepted it is. Bit like FIFA agreeing they are the same team, despite being liquidated.

banarc7062
01-06-2016, 12:38 PM
Exactly. The word has NOTHING to do religion. The majority of football fans in Scotland are likely from a Protestant background, but they aren't Huns; only The Rangers supporters. I always think of the Huns of ancient Eurasia who destroyed everything they came into contact with. What's more, any Catholic Rangers supporters (should any exist) are also Huns, so have that Huns. :aok:
Here's one for you to digest...we had a local Catholic priest in West Lothian who was a known hun fan :greengrin

Speedy
01-06-2016, 12:39 PM
Because they use fenian to mean both Celtic fans & Catholics they don't seem to understand that Huns refers only to Rangers fans but not Protestants. Stems from their ignorant view that Celtic = Catholic & Rangers = Protestant.

As someone already mentioned, it's nothing to do with sectarianism and is akin to us being called Hobos.

Interesting they're looking to ban pro-IRA songs and not 'all sectarian' songs - fuds!

malcolm
01-06-2016, 12:39 PM
To answer the thread's question we need to look at the two certainties in life - i.e. Death and Taxes. As the latter clearly does not apply to such as those, the answer must be on death:wink:

Pretty Boy
01-06-2016, 12:43 PM
They basically allowed themselves to be duped in to re-defining the term. They were wrong, very wrong.

The problem with Nil By Mouth is that because of the nature of their organisation they have to appear totally even handed. This means they have to continue to push the myth that when it comes to sectarianism in football there are groups who come close to Rangers fans. There aren't, I include Celtic fans in that.

Celtic have an element of their support who behave in an appalling manner and spout some real bile. A lot of it does seem 'politically' motivated though as opposed to genuine sectarian bigotry, however misguided or half baked those politics may be. Thinking through the usual nonsense you hear from Celtic fans at ER I can't think of many, if any, songs that are explicitly anti Protestant. Plenty that should be deemed unacceptable in 21st century Scotland right enough.

It's the same thinking that leads to Nil By Mouth to name Hibs and Hearts on their website. The sectarian issue in Edinburgh football is miniscule compared to Glasgow, the element in the Hibs support is almost non existent and Hearts, unlike in Glasgow, could claim with a straight face that it's a minority in their support. When you see a Rangers director to a limited extent condoning the singing of the Billy Boys due to the 'circumstances' you see what you are up against. I'd take NBM seriously when they openly come out and say that in Scottish football the sectarian issue is a problem nearly exclusive to Glasgow football and further the biggest perpetrators of sectarianism, as opposed to the other baggage, are Rangers fans. as long as they maintain they myth otherwise I will take what they say with a pinch of salt, that includes their ridiculous redefining of the term 'hun'.

JeMeSouviens
01-06-2016, 12:46 PM
The problem with Nil By Mouth is that because of the nature of their organisation they have to appear totally even handed. This means they have to continue to push the myth that when it comes to sectarianism in football there are groups who come close to Rangers fans. There aren't, I include Celtic fans in that.

Celtic have an element of their support who behave in an appalling manner and spout some real bile. A lot of it does seem 'politically' motivated though as opposed to genuine sectarian bigotry, however misguided or half baked those politics may be. Thinking through the usual nonsense you hear from Celtic fans at ER I can't think of many, if any, songs that are explicitly anti Protestant. Plenty that should be deemed unacceptable in 21st century Scotland right enough.

It's the same thinking that leads to Nil By Mouth to name Hibs and Hearts on their website. The sectarian issue in Edinburgh football is miniscule compared to Glasgow, the element in the Hibs support is almost non existent and Hearts, unlike in Glasgow, could claim with a straight face that it's a minority in their support. When you see a Rangers director to a limited extent condoning the singing of the Billy Boys due to the 'circumstances' you see what you are up against. I'd take NBM seriously when they openly come out and say that in Scottish football the sectarian issue is a problem nearly exclusive to Glasgow football and further the biggest perpetrators of sectarianism, as opposed to the other baggage, are Rangers fans. as long as they maintain they myth otherwise I will take what they say with a pinch of salt, that includes their ridiculous redefining of the term 'hun'.

All spot on. :agree:

lyonhibs
01-06-2016, 12:57 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/153w49.jpg

*You're :na na:

Bostonhibby
01-06-2016, 12:58 PM
When it's a The hun?

It's great that it's something that gets to them and as they know too well just because something is banned or abhorrent to others doesn't stop people saying or singing it.

Plankton.

leggeto
01-06-2016, 01:02 PM
We're the huns not mercenaries years ago who used to run about rampage in India or Tibet or somewhere like that,I thought that's why they got called it for the similarities to them nothing at all to do with religion

CropleyWasGod
01-06-2016, 01:03 PM
We're the huns not mercenaries years ago who used to run about rampage in India or Tibet or somewhere like that,I thought that's why they got called it for the similarities to them nothing at all to do with religion

Think Attila....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huns

Skåne Hibs
01-06-2016, 01:04 PM
I now wish I'd started a chorus of " Have you seen a handsome hun" at Hampden

leggeto
01-06-2016, 01:05 PM

That's the meaning I was thinking,attila the Hun and all that

leggeto
01-06-2016, 01:06 PM
Think Attila....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huns

That the one

Moulin Yarns
01-06-2016, 01:07 PM
When it's a The hun?

It's great that it's something that gets to them and as they know too well just because something is banned or abhorrent to others doesn't stop people saying or singing it.

Plankton.

I want to take issue with you for insulting plankton

DCI Gene Hunt
01-06-2016, 01:21 PM
OK, if it's made an offensive term then fair enough. But how does that compare to Billy Boys, Fenian this, Fenian that and various other (mostly violent) anti-Catholic songs/chants?

"See, we're no that bad like, youz are aw the same as us, ye ken." :rolleyes:

Sevco. Scotland's Shame.

Finn2015
01-06-2016, 01:28 PM
Because they use fenian to mean both Celtic fans & Catholics they don't seem to understand that Huns refers only to Rangers fans but not Protestants. Stems from their ignorant view that Celtic = Catholic & Rangers = Protestant.

As someone already mentioned, it's nothing to do with sectarianism and is akin to us being called Hobos.

Interesting they're looking to ban pro-IRA songs and not 'all sectarian' songs - fuds!

Apparently rangers fans singing about loyalists is ok

SJM
01-06-2016, 01:34 PM
Stepping up their crusade of everyone is against us Romanov style to get the support on side. Quite clever but could cause serious problems the way they are going about it.

OsloHibs
01-06-2016, 01:41 PM
Shameless , pitiful ,whineing Liars
Let there pain never end.
Vermin filth G.I.R.U. THE ****
MAY THEY DIE AGAIN.

Haha.

Bostonhibby
01-06-2016, 01:45 PM
I want to take issue with you for insulting plankton
You're right, I'm already getting email from plankton everywhere demanding that I am removed from Europe and that they get all my silverware.

Still, could be worse it could be huns

MileHighBees
01-06-2016, 03:17 PM

As most people have already said, the idea that 'hun = protestant' is completely ridiculous :crazy:
Congratulations to the Rangers fan who has convinced people otherwise :rolleyes:
Bringing more attention to sectarian words/songs (valid or not) will hopefully back-fire on them given they are the biggest culprits in Scotland by a mile.

If that word does get 'banned' though then it's not really a problem as we have an easy alternative that plenty of people already use.
Given that they died in 2012 but are somehow still roaming the earth today, Zombies fits them perfectly.
I'm fairly sure they don't like that term either but don't think they can con anyone that it's related to religion somehow.
:lolrangers:

lyonhibs
01-06-2016, 03:20 PM
As most people have already said, the idea that 'hun = protestant' is completely ridiculous :crazy:
Congratulations to the Rangers fan who has convinced people otherwise :rolleyes:
Bringing more attention to sectarian words/songs (valid or not) will hopefully back-fire on them given they are the biggest culprits in Scotland by a mile.

If that word does get 'banned' though then it's not really a problem as we have an easy alternative that plenty of people already use.
Given that they died in 2012 but are somehow still roaming the earth today, Zombies fits them perfectly.
I'm fairly sure they don't like that term either but don't think they can con anyone that it's related to religion somehow.

I suspect you grossly underestimate Jim Traynor mon ami.

degenerated
01-06-2016, 03:30 PM

It came from an article in a Wolverhampton paper from the 60's after the Huns trashed the place and were described as having come across the border like maurading huns.

degenerated
01-06-2016, 03:39 PM
You're right, I'm already getting email from plankton everywhere demanding that I am removed from Europe and that they get all my silverware.

Still, could be worse it could be huns

As Ian Archer once described them "a permanent embarrassment and an occasional disgrace"

greenlex
01-06-2016, 04:00 PM
I think we should comply.,orcs is far more acurate

NAE NOOKIE
01-06-2016, 04:22 PM
Hun has nothing to do with religion and well they know it ..... yet another attempt by the Huns to deflect from their own sectarian bile. They have been the Huns since I first started going to games 40 years ago and I have never heard anybody say it was because their support is mainly protestant. Just because the word is being used to describe a bunch of bigots doesn't make the word itself bigoted, as I explained to Nil by Mouth in great detail a couple of years ago.

Huns they are and Huns they will always be ...... Huns, huns, huns, huns. huns, huns.

Whats next ..... will the word Zombie be designated sectarian :greengrin

lapsedhibee
01-06-2016, 04:30 PM
Horrible Under-achieving Neanderthals.

Or HUNs for short :greengrin

:agree:

:singing: Go home, ya Hurting, Unloved, Ne'er-do-wells, go home ... :singing: would be an offence against scansion. And offensive :singing:'s not allowed at the fitba.

ManBearPig
01-06-2016, 04:32 PM
It's line 'think of the rangers fans on Friday' I almost choked on my coffee!

jacomo
01-06-2016, 04:41 PM
It came from an article in a Wolverhampton paper from the 60's after the Huns trashed the place and were described as having come across the border like maurading huns.

Yes, apparently so.

They won that match, and invaded the pitch.

They also did this up the road 15 years later... at a friendly, no less:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-unseen-photos-villa-7899872

Basically, we all know what Scottish football's problem is. We have done for years.

jgl07
01-06-2016, 05:04 PM
As long as they keep referring to Hibs fans as Fenians, it is fair comment!

I understood it was a term for supporters of King George in the Jacobite era.

One Day Soon
01-06-2016, 05:31 PM
I suspect you grossly underestimate Jim Traynor mon ami. That is impossible to do. It is an actual law of physics.

Jim44
01-06-2016, 05:40 PM

The bible has lots of names beginning with 'Z' I'm sure the Huns with find a link with religion. :greengrin

Keith_M
01-06-2016, 05:42 PM
http://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/vb/showpost.php?p=1489468&postcount=38

corby hibee
01-06-2016, 06:14 PM
Once a hun always a hun.

Sean1875
01-06-2016, 06:19 PM
I just find it amazing that the club that are the biggest singers of sectarian bile and abuse are the ones drawing attention to it.. their brains really are minuscule

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim44
01-06-2016, 08:33 PM
Once a hun always a hun.

Yes indeed, but I'm just as happy, no, happier, calling them the Vermin.

Hibernia&Alba
01-06-2016, 08:47 PM

:top marks

Excellent post. I'm no spokesman for the lunatic element in the Celtic support, but the line "they're as bad as each other" is as inaccurate as it is banal, IMO. The idiotic chanting in the Celtic support is now almost exclusively confined to the hardcore in the away support, which isn't the case at Rangers. The anti-Catholic chanting amongst the Rangers support is far more prevalent than any anti-Protestant chanting amongst the Celtic support. This whole charade by the Huns (yes, Huns) is a pitiful attempt to deflect attention from their own terrible behaviour. The Billy Boys has made a comeback, despite being banned; songs about the Pope and Loyalist terrorist groups were clearly audible at the cup final. Nothing is ever done, whereas any club outside Glasgow would be slaughtered by the media for the same thing. The time for a proper, open debate about this issue is long overdue, and it's Rangers who have most to hide and most to lose, and they know it, hence the victim card is being played. Sleekit, in addition to repugnant.

northstandhibby
01-06-2016, 08:58 PM

Excellent post. I'm no spokesman for the lunatic element in the Celtic support, but the line "they're as bad as each other" is as inaccurate as it is banal, IMO. The idiotic chanting in the Celtic support is now almost exclusively confined to the hardcore in the away support, which isn't the case at Rangers. The anti-Catholic chanting amongst the Rangers support is far more prevalent than any anti-Protestant chanting amongst the Celtic support. This whole charade by the Huns (yes, Huns) is a pitiful attempt to deflect attention from their own terrible behaviour. The Billy Boys has made a comeback, despite being banned; songs about the Pope and Loyalist terrorist groups were clearly audible at the cup final. Nothing is ever done, whereas any club outside Glasgow would be slaughtered by the media for the same thing. The time for a proper, open debate about this issue is long overdue, and it's Rangers who have most to hide and most to lose, and they know it, hence the victim card is being played. Sleekit, in addition to repugnant.

Extremely thoughtful and intelligent contribution to a contentious debate.

Glory Glory

01-06-2016, 09:05 PM
" we are rangers, we will sing every game about our hatred of Catholics and up to our knees in fenian blood etc etc etc yet one name (non-sectarian) against us and we will get all high and mighty"

couldnt make it up really

01-06-2016, 09:06 PM

This. Celtic are far from angels but the HUNS are far worse.

CraigHibee
01-06-2016, 09:35 PM
i think its hilarious, they find the word "hun" offensive but the majority don't bat an eyelid when it comes to singing songs about religion etc and the hatred they have.

**** them, regardless of the outcome they will always be hun ****

Eyrie
01-06-2016, 09:58 PM
They were, are and always will be Huns, because that is the correct term for a follow follower of any team that claims to be The Rangers regardless of whether the individual is a Protestant, Catholic, Orthodox, Jew, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, animist, atheist or any other belief system.

superfurryhibby
01-06-2016, 10:07 PM
Well said Pretty Boy and Hibernian and Alba.

Sums up the state of play just about spot on. I dearly wish that people could get the message on here. Treat each team on their merits, stop colluding with the two cheeks of the same erse nonsense and call it like it is.

Hibrandenburg
02-06-2016, 06:03 AM

Zombies have their roots in religion, the voodoo religion to be precise.

Joe6-2
02-06-2016, 06:42 AM
They really are embarrassing. Scotland's Shame indeed.

My face is red reading that! More with anger tho, Stupid, hypocritical bassas

ZAGREB RED
02-06-2016, 09:43 AM
Celtic fans were referred to as the huns many years ago. Not exactly evidence of a link to Protestantism.
I read in a book about Scottish football history - a few years back can't remember the name, might have been by Bill Murray about the Old Firm - that Celtic were called The Huns after WWI, but it didn't last, and the name became associated with Rangers later on, probably because of the way they see themselves as some sort of master race - We Arra Peepul and all that - in the same way the Nazis did. Nothing to do with religion, and calling someone a "Fenian" isn't an insult either. Don't these newspapers employ fact checkers/researchers ?
The whole point about Rangers (or whatever you want to call them) is that they see themselves as superior in every way, no one tells them what to do or say/sing, they are above the law. It goes beyond sheer arrogance at times. Don't dare criticise them, it just isn't allowed in their eyes.
Anyone who sings "Rule Britannia" in this day and age needs to join the rest of us in the 21st Century. I think the differences between them and Celtic is probably best portrayed in a documentary made by Vice about the OF which is on YouTube and all the usual places online, if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cggTbCcbcNA

Betty Boop
02-06-2016, 09:57 AM
They were, are and always will be Huns, because that is the correct term for a follow follower of any team that claims to be The Rangers regardless of whether the individual is a Protestant, Catholic, Orthodox, Jew, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, animist, atheist or any other belief system.

Really ? That must apply to Leanne Dempster then former season ticket holder at Ibrox.

jacomo
02-06-2016, 10:24 AM
Really ? That must apply to Leanne Dempster then former season ticket holder at Ibrox.

I did not know that.

But she is clearly a reformed character. Bit like being an ex-Jehovah's Witness or ex-Scientologist, I guess. Whilst in the grip of the madness you might have said all sorts of things you later regret, but find that society is happy to accept you back into normality.

hibbymac
02-06-2016, 10:38 AM
HRH Liz ?, meets "Wee Arra People" HERE (https://youtu.be/0CiOA0rBdtk) :confused:

Super_JMcGinn
02-06-2016, 10:49 AM

You can still buy IRA memorabilia openly outside Celtic Park on matchdays, a ****mier club you won't find anywhere else in the world imo.

paddy1875
02-06-2016, 10:53 AM
You can still buy IRA memorabilia openly outside Celtic Park on matchdays, a ****mier club you won't find anywhere else in the world imo.

What kind of stuff can you buy outside Celtic park?

Moulin Yarns
02-06-2016, 11:26 AM

After their semi final win over Celtc, Rangers fans (AKA HUNS) had fixed scarfs and flags to trees and posts along the A9 some of which included phrases such as "F*** the Pope"

Both are as S cu mm y as each other

Nutmegged
02-06-2016, 12:03 PM
I class all The Rangers fans and players and staff huns, nothing at all based in religion, Ally McCoist, Richard Gough, Ian Ferguson and John Brown are Huns, so is Lorenzo Amoruso, Sergio Porini, Marco Negri and Neil McCann.

Walter Smith is one and so is Paul Le Guen.

It's not and never has been about religion, it's a derogatory term to describe them, they call us the HIVs, no difference

lord bunberry
02-06-2016, 01:07 PM
That is impossible to do. It is an actual law of physics.
I believe the laws of physics actually break down the closer you get to his mouth or to give it its scientific name the nonevent horizon :greengrin

alnewhaven
02-06-2016, 06:35 PM
Bearing in mind Attila and his Huns ransacked Rome, you'd think they'd take it as a compliment

Eyrie
02-06-2016, 07:16 PM

Does she still follow them though? if so, then the answer is that she is a Hun. The term is not gender specific any more than it is specific to a particular religion (or indeed lack of religion). That doesn't make her a bad person - she should be judged on her actions which makes her a good person.

If she doesn't, then she's not a Hun.

Finn2015
02-06-2016, 08:42 PM
This. Celtic are far from angels but the HUNS are far worse.

I would go along with that tbh. I don't have any love for Celtic but I don't buy the two sides of the same coin stuff and what I will say is that when we play them, I don't feel the tension and propensity for trouble as I go when we play the Huns ( yes I do know there has been some trouble at Hibernian Celtic games in the past but I'm basing this on what my feeling is during these games). I honestly feel the Huns support is the most warped, bigoted and hateful support in the land. Even more so than Celtic, hearts or any others anyone will care to mention

Deansy
02-06-2016, 09:44 PM
My grand-dad told me the reason for calling Rangers-fans 'Huns' began directly after WW1. A war against the Germans, when eveyone knew someone (or their family) who had a relative, friend etc that had been killed/gassed/imprisoned etc so, as the Rangers-supporters/club were also **** way back then, calling them 'Huns' was just (natural, imho !) a way of letting them know just how hated/despised/liathed they were !

cabbageandribs1875
02-06-2016, 09:47 PM
i use the word as a term of endearment, hey Hun..how ya doing

Sir David Gray
02-06-2016, 09:54 PM
I would go along with that tbh. I don't have any love for Celtic but I don't buy the two sides of the same coin stuff and what I will say is that when we play them, I don't feel the tension and propensity for trouble as I go when we play the Huns ( yes I do know there has been some trouble at Hibernian Celtic games in the past but I'm basing this on what my feeling is during these games). I honestly feel the Huns support is the most warped, bigoted and hateful support in the land. Even more so than Celtic, hearts or any others anyone will care to mention

There is no difference.

Both as bad as each other and both are as equally to blame for the sectarianism problem in this country.

The pair of them thrive on this issue.

northstandhibby
02-06-2016, 10:00 PM
My grand-dad told me the reason for calling Rangers-fans 'Huns' began directly after WW1. A war against the Germans, when eveyone knew someone (or their family) who had a relative, friend etc that had been killed/gassed/imprisoned etc so, as the Rangers-supporters/club were also **** way back then, calling them 'Huns' was just (natural, imho !) a way of letting them know just how hated/despised/liathed they were !

I think there are a vast number of German Catholics in Germany which would be therefore inappropriate to lump them all in with the Sevco Huns imo. It may be because of their love of Royalty like the Dutch invader King Billy and then the Windsors of German neo dutch descent of why they are called huns but I could be right or wrong but I am certain there are plenty fo German non-protestants.

Sevco Huns are of course a new breed as they are following a four year old new club but still show the same stone age attitudes.

Glory Glory

O'Rourke3
02-06-2016, 11:51 PM
They are and have always been Huns. As someone brought up in the Protestant faith I can personally attest that it is not a slight on Protestants or the faith. It is an accurate description of supporters of the former Rangers and current resurrected tribute act The Rangers. Why are they Huns - simples - they look like Huns....

Edinburgher
03-06-2016, 04:21 AM
There`s something about the "H" word that is just so fitting for people like them just like the "C" word! Like many Hibs fans - I`m not catholic (protestant ancestors but an atheist) although I have been called the "F" word by those knuckle draggers!

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
03-06-2016, 06:44 AM
I always thought they were called huns because they behaved like a horde of barbarians, nothing to do with religion.

It sums that club and its fans up perfectly IMO - by far the worst fans uve encountered. They remind me of england fans in the bad old days - an air of violence, a sense that they 'take over' and 'own' anywhere they are, and a horrible chauvinistic sense of triumphalism.

I dont think they know how to have a good time without hating somebody. Their while identity is shaped around what they are not, and who they hate.

Someone used the word hateful, and it is perfect to describe them.

The most horrivle fans, and the most horrible club.

s.a.m
03-06-2016, 06:56 AM
I always thought they were called huns because they behaved like a horde of barbarians, nothing to do with religion.

It sums that club and its fans up perfectly IMO - by far the worst fans uve encountered. They remind me of england fans in the bad old days - an air of violence, a sense that they 'take over' and 'own' anywhere they are, and a horrible chauvinistic sense of triumphalism.

I dont think they know how to have a good time without hating somebody. Their while identity is shaped around what they are not, and who they hate.

Someone used the word hateful, and it is perfect to describe them.

The most horrivle fans, and the most horrible club.

Me too. Via the WW propaganda use to describe / insult the German enemy. The whole country was being exhorted to pull together to "Defeat the Hun!!".

Speedy
03-06-2016, 07:46 AM

"OH Leeann Dempster, she used to be a hun but she's alright now"

Bostonhibby
03-06-2016, 08:29 AM
There`s something about the "H" word that is just so fitting for people like them just like the "C" word! Like many Hibs fans - I`m not catholic (protestant ancestors but an atheist) although I have been called the "F" word by those knuckle draggers!
Been spat at twice by huns and called a fenian b****** as well. Was brought up a disinterested protestant and my dad was "in the lodge" until he saw the light. I am now an atheist and can say the huns who followed the now defunct Glasgow rangers played a big part in my opting out of that brand of belief.

Lucius Apuleius
03-06-2016, 09:39 AM
Dislike celtc more than any other team. However we obviously feel safer amongst them due to their misconceived idea that we are their wee cousins so look after us, eh naw! I have a lot of friends who are the rangers supporters and they cross the spectrum from normal football loving people with whom you can have a discussion about football with. Some of them you could even discuss their "plight" with without them going into meltdown. None of them however are bigoted as I would just not have them in my friendship circle. What they do at the football is another matter that I don't know and quite honestly don't care. The proper answer and the one I have given to huns calling me a fenian is " but at least I am a Proddy Fenian". That confuses the poor wee things.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
03-06-2016, 11:25 AM
Dislike celtc more than any other team. However we obviously feel safer amongst them due to their misconceived idea that we are their wee cousins so look after us, eh naw! I have a lot of friends who are the rangers supporters and they cross the spectrum from normal football loving people with whom you can have a discussion about football with. Some of them you could even discuss their "plight" with without them going into meltdown. None of them however are bigoted as I would just not have them in my friendship circle. What they do at the football is another matter that I don't know and quite honestly don't care. The proper answer and the one I have given to huns calling me a fenian is " but at least I am a Proddy Fenian". That confuses the poor wee things.

I also have genuine and reasonable rangers fans as mates (not many mind) but the question that genuinely confuses me is how, as a reasonable person, can you hitch yourself to a club that stands for such a horrivle worldview?

Like i say, i know decent huns, but i struggle to reconcile that with their support for a club that is explicitly racist and bigoted.

Lucius Apuleius
03-06-2016, 03:17 PM
I also have genuine and reasonable rangers fans as mates (not many mind) but the question that genuinely confuses me is how, as a reasonable person, can you hitch yourself to a club that stands for such a horrivle worldview?

Like i say, i know decent huns, but i struggle to reconcile that with their support for a club that is explicitly racist and bigoted.

Beyond me to be honest. A lot of it does come down to where I live and they come from generations of them I guess. Ali are different. Some of them actively hate the sectarian side of their club but still support them.

Smartie
03-06-2016, 03:21 PM

IMO a lot of it is geographical.

I tend to find that huns from Glasgow/ the West who support Rangers are more likely to do it for decent reasons - local team, family support them etc.

The sectarian angle is a massive pull for your NI, Fife, West Lothian ones etc and they tend to be the most bigoted and unpleasant.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
03-06-2016, 03:21 PM
Beyond me to be honest. A lot of it does come down to where I live and they come from generations of them I guess. Ali are different. Some of them actively hate the sectarian side of their club but still support them.

Both these guys are late 20s early 30s and from the east.

It genuinely baffles me.

Dont get me wronf, i realise most are ignorant bigots from Scotland's small towns.

Leith Mo
03-06-2016, 03:23 PM
As the man many of them like to call "the Greatest Briton" once said: "...Fight them on the Beaches!....We Shall Never Surrender!" (I usually find that last bit really seems to upset them as they seem to look upon it as some sort of "Fenian" conspiracy to steal/misquote their one of their favourite phrases)

Jim44
03-06-2016, 03:42 PM

:agree: I would be willing to bet that the overwhelming majority of so-called 'decent' Sevco fans' connections with the vile institution lie not very far away from religious and political bigotry and hatred of Roman Catholicism. Some may say they 'hate' the reputation they have but I think that if push came to shove, they would lean towards the Sevco stereotype. The Celtic fans are just as bad.
I remember listening to a conversation in a pub in Fife quite a few years ago between two Rangers and two Celtic fans. I vaguely knew all of them and their chat was good humoured banter. When the two Celtic guys left, their 'friends' referred to them as Papish C***s.